register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> Mazdaspeed3/6 General Discussion

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 10-12-2017, 12:04 PM   #1

E.Murray is an unknown quantity at this point
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default What to check on used long block?

I found a long block out of 52k mile 2013 car at a dealership. They said the car was a trade-in that was smoking, so they replaced the engine. Seems a little extreme, but the tech I talked to (the guy who did the work) just kind of shrugged. He said he thought the engine was ok and got the approval to sell it. So I jumped on it.
That was a few months back and it's just been sitting in the garage since then. I finally got around to checking it out and it seems to be fine. I did a leakdown test and cylinders 1, 2, and 4 are all at 16%, with the only hiss coming through the intake valves. If I cover up the intake port, the leak goes to virtually nothing. Cylinder 3 shows 22% and, again, only past the intake valve. Obviously, this is a cold motor. I can see that the valves are dirty, so I soaked the #3 in some Seafoam, but the reading didn't really change.
So, finally, here's my question: what else can/should I check? I think the plan has changed, so I'm on the fence about using the motor. I was going to just sell it as-is on here, but found out I need 100 posts first. That's probably never going to happen since I only post when I actually have something to say and it will take years to have 100 things to say... So maybe I'll keep it. Either way, I want to know what I'm looking at without a bunch of disassembly.
E.Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 10-12-2017, 12:24 PM   #2

Bexar is a name known to allBexar is a name known to allBexar is a name known to allBexar is a name known to allBexar is a name known to allBexar is a name known to all
Groans: 1
Groaned at 9 Times in 5 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I don't think soaking it would be enough. I think you'll have to get into it and pressure blast with media. As far as that goes

Need to be installed: TurboXS downpipe

I ❤ hatches
Bexar is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 10-12-2017, 12:28 PM   #3

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Bexar View Post
I don't think soaking it would be enough. I think you'll have to get into it and pressure blast with media. As far as that goes
Which puts a bunch of stuff in the cylinder specially designed to be abrasive. Unless there's a safe way to do it?
What's the best way to get the valves clean? I let it soak, then blasted it out with a rag wrapped around the air nozzle (to catch all the black crap). Learned about the rag the hard way...
 Old 10-12-2017, 12:32 PM   #4

Bexar is a name known to allBexar is a name known to allBexar is a name known to allBexar is a name known to allBexar is a name known to allBexar is a name known to all
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by E.Murray View Post
Which puts a bunch of stuff in the cylinder specially designed to be abrasive. Unless there's a safe way to do it?
What's the best way to get the valves clean? I let it soak, then blasted it out with a rag wrapped around the air nozzle (to catch all the black crap). Learned about the rag the hard way...
Pull off intake mani
Google "cleaning valves mazduhspeed3"

I ❤ hatches
 Old 10-12-2017, 12:35 PM   #5

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Bexar View Post
Pull off intake mani
Google "cleaning valves mazduhspeed3"
Ok. I'll try to do that this weekend. I didn't know there was an established way to do it. Anything else I should check while I'm in there?
 Old 10-12-2017, 12:48 PM   #6

Not Ranked  0 score     

Seems like it was pretty early in it's life at 52k. Maybe see what the oil looks like if you haven't already. It will be interesting to see how bad the valves are .

I mean check the pan for debris if you're messing around with the engine anyway (and it's out of the car). Could do a timing chain change.

I ❤ hatches