register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums > Mazdaspeed Forums Approved Vendors >
Mazda Performance Parts & Modifications Vendor Area
> Cobb Tuning

Cobb Tuning Cobb Tuning is the leader in Mazdaspeed 3 & 6 Performance!

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ms3blackmica

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 07-31-2014, 04:24 PM   #1
Nishan

ms3blackmica is the leader of the worldms3blackmica is the leader of the worldms3blackmica is the leader of the worldms3blackmica is the leader of the worldms3blackmica is the leader of the worldms3blackmica is the leader of the worldms3blackmica is the leader of the worldms3blackmica is the leader of the worldms3blackmica is the leader of the worldms3blackmica is the leader of the worldms3blackmica is the leader of the world
Thanked 19,305 Times in 4,386 Posts
Groans: 22
Groaned at 20 Times in 15 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default COBB Tuning Gen 2 Mazdaspeed 3 Cat-Back Exhaust Review

I got my COBB Tuning Gen 2 MS3 Cat-Back Exhaust System fitted yesterday and I couldn't be any happier with product in every aspect.

This system is now back in stock after fixing some fitment issues and it is definitely on the money.

I installed this on my back in no more than 1 hour. Everything from flange design, pipe bends, and all around quality is top notch and exceeds OEM like fitment. Fits like a glove and sounds even better.

I'm not the type of person who likes loud exhausts and I don't like anyone knowing they are about to get smacked around silly on the highway. This exhaust has a super aggressive, deep, and throaty note but is quieter than stock when normally cruising.

I ran the Cobb Gen 1 CBE when I owned a Gen 1 MS3 and decided to do so again with the Pu. I wanted to thank @Evan@COBB; and @Cobb Tuning; for putting in the time and effort into bringing the Gen 2 system back on the market and making it flawless as I couldn't be any happier.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo 1.JPG (3.56 MB, 118 views)
File Type: jpg photo 2.JPG (1.35 MB, 105 views)
File Type: jpg photo 3.JPG (1.43 MB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg photo 4.JPG (3.18 MB, 106 views)
Mauro_Penguin likes this.
Cevaes_64 (09-11-2014), Cheapspeed (08-05-2014), CWP_MS3 (08-04-2014), DaUberSchwebel (07-31-2014), doctavus (09-19-2014), Easter Bunny (09-11-2014), kmpeeps (07-31-2014), lilred (07-31-2014), Mauro_Penguin (07-31-2014), Micha (12-07-2014), nilashish (07-31-2014), SarcasticOne (07-31-2014), Skyman88 (08-01-2014), trancehead (09-11-2014), Vader (08-01-2014)
 Old 07-31-2014, 04:51 PM   #2

nilashish is the leader of the worldnilashish is the leader of the worldnilashish is the leader of the worldnilashish is the leader of the worldnilashish is the leader of the worldnilashish is the leader of the worldnilashish is the leader of the worldnilashish is the leader of the worldnilashish is the leader of the worldnilashish is the leader of the worldnilashish is the leader of the world
Groans: 17
Groaned at 10 Times in 6 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Have you noticed any rattling with this exhaust?
nilashish is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 07-31-2014, 04:56 PM   #3
Nishan

ms3blackmica is the leader of the worldms3blackmica is the leader of the worldms3blackmica is the leader of the worldms3blackmica is the leader of the worldms3blackmica is the leader of the worldms3blackmica is the leader of the worldms3blackmica is the leader of the worldms3blackmica is the leader of the worldms3blackmica is the leader of the worldms3blackmica is the leader of the worldms3blackmica is the leader of the world
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by nilashish View Post
Have you noticed any rattling with this exhaust?
Nope.

Fit like a glove and perfectly centered.

If you are hearing some rattling, get back under there and shake the exhaust and look to see where it is coming from.
Easter Bunny (09-11-2014), nilashish (07-31-2014)
 Old 07-31-2014, 06:27 PM   #4

Chuthor is the leader of the worldChuthor is the leader of the worldChuthor is the leader of the worldChuthor is the leader of the worldChuthor is the leader of the worldChuthor is the leader of the worldChuthor is the leader of the worldChuthor is the leader of the worldChuthor is the leader of the worldChuthor is the leader of the worldChuthor is the leader of the world
Groans: 2
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

Mmmmmm that sounds sexy...... this just jumped up near the top of next purchases for my car.
 Old 07-31-2014, 06:35 PM   #5

Ranyard has a reputation beyond reputeRanyard has a reputation beyond reputeRanyard has a reputation beyond reputeRanyard has a reputation beyond reputeRanyard has a reputation beyond reputeRanyard has a reputation beyond reputeRanyard has a reputation beyond reputeRanyard has a reputation beyond reputeRanyard has a reputation beyond reputeRanyard has a reputation beyond reputeRanyard has a reputation beyond repute
Groans: 7
Not Ranked  0 score     

yeah but cost vs sound......

several sound just as good for $100 or more less?
 Old 07-31-2014, 06:43 PM   #6

DaUberSchwebel is the leader of the worldDaUberSchwebel is the leader of the worldDaUberSchwebel is the leader of the worldDaUberSchwebel is the leader of the worldDaUberSchwebel is the leader of the worldDaUberSchwebel is the leader of the worldDaUberSchwebel is the leader of the worldDaUberSchwebel is the leader of the worldDaUberSchwebel is the leader of the worldDaUberSchwebel is the leader of the worldDaUberSchwebel is the leader of the world
Groans: 28
Groaned at 2 Times in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

Holy shit the cobb box is huge. You could use that as a coffin in a pinch. Any how, sounds great. Glad they are back.
 Old 08-01-2014, 06:32 AM   #7
Nishan

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

To me this CBE was worth every penny.

The quality of work supersedes any other CBE on the market that I have seen and I am pretty sure I have seen them all.
 Old 08-04-2014, 08:09 AM   #8

WAMBUSHHHH! is the leader of the worldWAMBUSHHHH! is the leader of the worldWAMBUSHHHH! is the leader of the worldWAMBUSHHHH! is the leader of the worldWAMBUSHHHH! is the leader of the worldWAMBUSHHHH! is the leader of the worldWAMBUSHHHH! is the leader of the worldWAMBUSHHHH! is the leader of the worldWAMBUSHHHH! is the leader of the worldWAMBUSHHHH! is the leader of the worldWAMBUSHHHH! is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,336 Times in 715 Posts
Groans: 9
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Ranyard View Post
yeah but cost vs sound......

several sound just as good for $100 or more less?
I mean, that's been the name of the game with CBEs for the genpu's...cost vs. sound, cost vs. gains...in the end, cost vs. quality.

My cobb FMIC was a bit more expensive but the fit and finish was right on. Glad to see they worked out the CBE fitment issues and this exceeded expectations.

2004 Yamaha R6 - Micron Ricer Pipe / PC
2005 Honda CBR 600 F4i - R.I.P. 10/29/13
WAMBUSHHHH! is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 08-04-2014, 09:35 AM   #9

swsmailman is the leader of the worldswsmailman is the leader of the worldswsmailman is the leader of the worldswsmailman is the leader of the worldswsmailman is the leader of the worldswsmailman is the leader of the worldswsmailman is the leader of the worldswsmailman is the leader of the worldswsmailman is the leader of the worldswsmailman is the leader of the worldswsmailman is the leader of the world
Groans: 3
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Saw this on Facebook and love the sound of it, if I didn't have a CP-e DP and wanted to keep the CP-e theme going, I would be tempted to get a Cobb Catback

Also, you earn some brownie points for an actual legit video of you driving around....
Installed Parts:: HTP 3" SRI, Autotech Internals, CP-e Catless DP, CP-e TMIC, FreekTuned, H&R Springs, JBR RSB, Cobb AP V3, JBR 88 RMM, JBR Battery Box, EGR Delete, various CorkSport styling parts, and other things
Not Installed Parts:: JBR Stage 2 OCC
Future Parts:: JBR 80 PMM/TSM, Coilovers, and much more
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

swsmailman is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 08-04-2014, 10:02 AM   #10

etms3 is the leader of the worldetms3 is the leader of the worldetms3 is the leader of the worldetms3 is the leader of the worldetms3 is the leader of the worldetms3 is the leader of the worldetms3 is the leader of the worldetms3 is the leader of the worldetms3 is the leader of the worldetms3 is the leader of the worldetms3 is the leader of the world
Groans: 0
Not Ranked  0 score     

I have this CBE going on my car this weekend. Out of the box, the quality of the product is top notch. I can't wait.
etms3 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 08-05-2014, 04:42 PM   #11
Nishan

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Another cold start video for those interested in hearing.

kolosok17 (09-11-2014)
 Old 08-05-2014, 05:57 PM   #12

Cheapspeed is the leader of the worldCheapspeed is the leader of the worldCheapspeed is the leader of the worldCheapspeed is the leader of the worldCheapspeed is the leader of the worldCheapspeed is the leader of the worldCheapspeed is the leader of the worldCheapspeed is the leader of the worldCheapspeed is the leader of the worldCheapspeed is the leader of the worldCheapspeed is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,652 Times in 1,429 Posts
Groans: 29
Groaned at 18 Times in 17 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I was wondering why there wasn't a WOT clip in your video.

Then I saw your sig. (ewg for those on their phones)

When I get a catback I'm considering the cobb since I like the quieter deep tones.
 Old 09-11-2014, 11:36 AM   #13

Finchee has a reputation beyond reputeFinchee has a reputation beyond reputeFinchee has a reputation beyond reputeFinchee has a reputation beyond reputeFinchee has a reputation beyond reputeFinchee has a reputation beyond reputeFinchee has a reputation beyond reputeFinchee has a reputation beyond reputeFinchee has a reputation beyond reputeFinchee has a reputation beyond reputeFinchee has a reputation beyond repute
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Is the exhaust sound louder inside the car even with the windows up? I primarily drive with the windows up, that's why I'm asking. I want an exhaust that I can hear when I do rev-match downshifts on normal driving. I'm probably weird in that I don't really want it loud outside the car, I want it loud enough for me to hear inside the car.
Finchee is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 09-11-2014, 01:30 PM   #14
Nishan

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Finchee View Post
Is the exhaust sound louder inside the car even with the windows up? I primarily drive with the windows up, that's why I'm asking. I want an exhaust that I can hear when I do rev-match downshifts on normal driving. I'm probably weird in that I don't really want it loud outside the car, I want it loud enough for me to hear inside the car.
Yes it is still loud enough that you will hear the engine's note inside the car without any problem.

Once you open it up it really sounds amazing too.
Finchee (09-11-2014)
 Old 09-11-2014, 01:42 PM   #15

Cheapspeed is the leader of the worldCheapspeed is the leader of the worldCheapspeed is the leader of the worldCheapspeed is the leader of the worldCheapspeed is the leader of the worldCheapspeed is the leader of the worldCheapspeed is the leader of the worldCheapspeed is the leader of the worldCheapspeed is the leader of the worldCheapspeed is the leader of the worldCheapspeed is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,652 Times in 1,429 Posts
Groans: 29
Groaned at 18 Times in 17 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Finchee View Post
Remove the 2nd cat and a resonator.
 Old 09-11-2014, 04:41 PM   #16

Finchee has a reputation beyond reputeFinchee has a reputation beyond reputeFinchee has a reputation beyond reputeFinchee has a reputation beyond reputeFinchee has a reputation beyond reputeFinchee has a reputation beyond reputeFinchee has a reputation beyond reputeFinchee has a reputation beyond reputeFinchee has a reputation beyond reputeFinchee has a reputation beyond reputeFinchee has a reputation beyond repute
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by ms3blackmica View Post
Yes it is still loud enough that you will hear the engine's note inside the car without any problem.

Once you open it up it really sounds amazing too.
Thanks for the feedback!

Originally Posted by Cheapspeed View Post
Remove the 2nd cat and a resonator.
I was tempted to try this but every video I've seen of a resonator delete kinda sounds hollow or unrefined to me. It's just a preference really, I'm sure a lot of people love the sound of a resonator delete. I simply prefer the deep tones you get from CBEs like CS and Cobb.
Finchee is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 09-19-2014, 10:24 AM   #17

doctavus is the leader of the worlddoctavus is the leader of the worlddoctavus is the leader of the worlddoctavus is the leader of the worlddoctavus is the leader of the worlddoctavus is the leader of the worlddoctavus is the leader of the worlddoctavus is the leader of the worlddoctavus is the leader of the worlddoctavus is the leader of the worlddoctavus is the leader of the world
Groans: 9
Groaned at 29 Times in 23 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Alright this will be Cobb part #3 .

Thanks for the excellent videos sir.

Going to call Plano to see if they have them in stock and fuck money.
doctavus is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 12-07-2014, 09:05 AM   #18

RACER_X is the leader of the worldRACER_X is the leader of the worldRACER_X is the leader of the worldRACER_X is the leader of the worldRACER_X is the leader of the worldRACER_X is the leader of the worldRACER_X is the leader of the worldRACER_X is the leader of the worldRACER_X is the leader of the worldRACER_X is the leader of the worldRACER_X is the leader of the world
Groaned at 31 Times in 14 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

ok, exhaust install is kicking my ass.

on my cat, instead of just bolts it has long ass bolts w/ a springs

the prob is can get the next hanger (right at the curve) on or get the bolts on, can't get both together.

those longs bolts come out BUT it uses a tiny 13mm bolt and my gun doesn't have the torque to get them off.

doesn;t help i'm working in the garage w/ all 4 corners of the car set 2 bricks high and my fat ass just wedges underneath the car.

found some pics from CBE install thread

would have been so much easier to pay the $80 muffler shop had quoted to do this.........grrr

2012 MS3 Liquid Silver
Autotech HPFP
Cobb AP & CBE
Corksport FTB
Enkei Raijin 18x8 et45
JBR 3.0WP, RSB, RMM & SSP II
Stratified Tune
TrackMasters hood prop and ecu reloc.
TurboSmart BOV

Last edited by RACER_X; 12-07-2014 at 09:18 AM.
RACER_X is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 12-08-2014, 04:01 AM   #19

RACER_X is the leader of the worldRACER_X is the leader of the worldRACER_X is the leader of the worldRACER_X is the leader of the worldRACER_X is the leader of the worldRACER_X is the leader of the worldRACER_X is the leader of the worldRACER_X is the leader of the worldRACER_X is the leader of the worldRACER_X is the leader of the worldRACER_X is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

ok, w/ the help of wifey power, we got those long ass bolts off. after that the install was a sinch.

very happy w/ the sound
though daughter says its louder in the back

BUT i'm not happy the right side exhaust setting further in then the left side. vertically they are centered, Ok not great

left

right

i think they should follow CPe's lead and have adjustable end pieces or have the right side built a little longer

yes there is a little room for movement right at the junction of the cat. and the start of this exhaust.

2012 MS3 Liquid Silver
Autotech HPFP
Cobb AP & CBE
Corksport FTB
Enkei Raijin 18x8 et45
Stratified Tune
TurboSmart BOV
 Old 12-09-2014, 07:19 AM   #20

HawkeyeGeoff is the leader of the worldHawkeyeGeoff is the leader of the worldHawkeyeGeoff is the leader of the worldHawkeyeGeoff is the leader of the worldHawkeyeGeoff is the leader of the worldHawkeyeGeoff is the leader of the worldHawkeyeGeoff is the leader of the worldHawkeyeGeoff is the leader of the worldHawkeyeGeoff is the leader of the worldHawkeyeGeoff is the leader of the worldHawkeyeGeoff is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,708 Times in 1,397 Posts
Groans: 13
Groaned at 23 Times in 13 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Yeah my Cobb CBE sits funky in the rear, but I'm okay with it since it sounds soooo damn good!
HawkeyeGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 12-09-2014, 07:26 AM   #21
Feline Führer

neganox is the leader of the worldneganox is the leader of the worldneganox is the leader of the worldneganox is the leader of the worldneganox is the leader of the worldneganox is the leader of the worldneganox is the leader of the worldneganox is the leader of the worldneganox is the leader of the worldneganox is the leader of the worldneganox is the leader of the world
Thanked 4,356 Times in 1,252 Posts
Groans: 49
Groaned at 5 Times in 5 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

This Cobb CBE's tips were also off center for me. 15 minutes and 45 bucks at the muffler shop and they got them welded on straight and equal. Exhaust sounds great.
neganox is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 12-09-2014, 07:33 AM   #22

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by neganox View Post
This Cobb CBE's tips were also off center for me. 15 minutes and 45 bucks at the muffler shop and they got them welded on straight and equal. Exhaust sounds great.
I thought about that also

Did they cut the tip off and reweld in the right spot

2012 MS3 Liquid Silver
Autotech HPFP
Cobb AP & CBE
Corksport FTB
Enkei Raijin 18x8 et45
Stratified Tune
TurboSmart BOV
 Old 12-09-2014, 10:09 AM   #23
Feline Führer

neganox is the leader of the worldneganox is the leader of the worldneganox is the leader of the worldneganox is the leader of the worldneganox is the leader of the worldneganox is the leader of the worldneganox is the leader of the worldneganox is the leader of the worldneganox is the leader of the worldneganox is the leader of the worldneganox is the leader of the world
Thanked 4,356 Times in 1,252 Posts
Groans: 49
Groaned at 5 Times in 5 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by RACER_X View Post
I thought about that also

Did they cut the tip off and reweld in the right spot
They cut the pipes further back so you cant see anything unless the car is in the air.
neganox is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 12-20-2014, 09:17 AM   #24

Not Ranked  0 score     

Cry

They cut the exhaust back and had to heat the other side hanger to lower the tip
Attached Images
File Type: jpg uploadfromtaptalk1419095683506.jpg (1.92 MB, 57 views)

2012 MS3 Liquid Silver
Autotech HPFP
Cobb AP & CBE
Corksport FTB
Enkei Raijin 18x8 et45
Stratified Tune
TurboSmart BOV
 Old 12-20-2014, 12:16 PM   #25
Nishan

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

I found that changing all my hangers to the urethane ones Cobb sells fixed any all fitment issues.

The exhaust is rather heavy and the urethane hangers do the trick.
 Old 12-20-2014, 08:30 PM   #26

Not Ranked  0 score     

I have cobb hangers

2012 MS3 Liquid Silver
Autotech HPFP
Cobb AP & CBE
Corksport FTB
Enkei Raijin 18x8 et45
Stratified Tune
TurboSmart BOV
 Old 04-10-2015, 01:13 PM   #27

Yanahdi is the leader of the worldYanahdi is the leader of the worldYanahdi is the leader of the worldYanahdi is the leader of the worldYanahdi is the leader of the worldYanahdi is the leader of the worldYanahdi is the leader of the worldYanahdi is the leader of the worldYanahdi is the leader of the worldYanahdi is the leader of the worldYanahdi is the leader of the world
Groans: 3
Not Ranked  0 score     

I had to resort to the urethane hangers thanks to Neganox for hooking me up. Stock hangers were aged like a fine wine (5 years old) and couldn't handle the load.

The hangers should be included IMO, so if anyone's planning on getting this exhaust I'd definitely recommend adding the hangers into your order. Even if you don't use them you may help bail out a local like me in the future.
Yanahdi is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 04-10-2015, 01:23 PM   #28

BenWhitney has much to be proud ofBenWhitney has much to be proud ofBenWhitney has much to be proud ofBenWhitney has much to be proud ofBenWhitney has much to be proud ofBenWhitney has much to be proud ofBenWhitney has much to be proud ofBenWhitney has much to be proud of
Not Ranked  0 score     

any kinda of comparison between Corksport CBE & Cobb CBE? trying to decide between the two, love the Corksport sound but obviously Cobb is great quality.
BenWhitney is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 04-10-2015, 03:09 PM   #29

Not Ranked  0 score     

So obvious I had to cut my then brand new exhaust to make my tips line up

2012 MS3 Liquid Silver
Autotech HPFP
Cobb AP & CBE
Corksport FTB
Enkei Raijin 18x8 et45
Stratified Tune
TurboSmart BOV
 Old 07-30-2016, 02:32 PM   #30

MacheteJames has a reputation beyond reputeMacheteJames has a reputation beyond reputeMacheteJames has a reputation beyond reputeMacheteJames has a reputation beyond reputeMacheteJames has a reputation beyond reputeMacheteJames has a reputation beyond reputeMacheteJames has a reputation beyond reputeMacheteJames has a reputation beyond reputeMacheteJames has a reputation beyond reputeMacheteJames has a reputation beyond reputeMacheteJames has a reputation beyond repute
Not Ranked  0 score     

Is it just me or does this sound exactly like a Focus RS? Not the typical MS3 burble at all. Then, I looked at your sig and saw that you're running an aftermarket equal length exhaust manifold, and it all made sense.
MacheteJames is offline   Reply With Quote