register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Miata MX-5
> Miata - General Questions

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 01-15-2015, 11:13 AM   #1

blake0521 has much to be proud ofblake0521 has much to be proud ofblake0521 has much to be proud ofblake0521 has much to be proud ofblake0521 has much to be proud ofblake0521 has much to be proud ofblake0521 has much to be proud ofblake0521 has much to be proud ofblake0521 has much to be proud ofblake0521 has much to be proud of
Groans: 7
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default Miata v8 swap vs rx7 v8 swap

So far from what I have read the last few days the miata v8 swap costs quite a bit more and requires more work such as cutting and welding then an rx7 v8 swap. Is that right or am I am idiot. Some guy wants to sell me a 88 sport rx7 non running with a spare rotor assembly for 900 bucks. Good deal or no? Leaning rx7 route right now

Mods:
Cobb sri-Cobb tip-Cobb dp-Cobb bvp xle-Cobb ap v3-Cobb shift knob-AutoTech internals-JBR occ stage 2-JBR short shift plate-JBR solid shift bushings-JBR motor mounts (80 rear 70 side)-JBR TruTorsion 125 rear sway bar - JBR FMIC with crash bar and TR8 - Snow Performance meth kit with devils own fuel cell

Next up: tune.
blake0521 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 01-15-2015, 11:19 AM   #2

SpencerC is the leader of the worldSpencerC is the leader of the worldSpencerC is the leader of the worldSpencerC is the leader of the worldSpencerC is the leader of the worldSpencerC is the leader of the worldSpencerC is the leader of the worldSpencerC is the leader of the worldSpencerC is the leader of the worldSpencerC is the leader of the worldSpencerC is the leader of the world
Thanked 4,311 Times in 1,156 Posts
Groans: 0
Groaned at 5 Times in 5 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Depends on how much work you want to do yourself, and which you like more. I've seen both done and they both can be awesome. You can get a lot of kits or DIY from the ground up, cost will differ significantly depending on which route you go.

GRANNYSSPEEDSHOP.COM
https://www.hinsonsupercars.com/p-10...n-package.aspx
Flyin' Miata : Engine conversions : V8 conversions
Miata V8 Swap
V8 Monster Kit -

If it was me I would go the Miata route, but I'm a big Miata fan.
SOLD: 2009 Metro Gray Mica Mazdaspeed 3 - CorkSport Stage II SRI - CorkSport High Flow Downpipe -CorkSport TMIC - CorkSport Short Shift Plate - CorkSport Shifter Bushings - CorkSport Rear Motor Mount -
CorkSport Passenger Side Motor Mount -Cobb Accessport - CorkSport HPFP Max Flow Fuel Pump Internals - CorkSport LED Kit

1992 Red Mazda Miata - Flyin Miata Swaybars, Hard Dog Hard Bar, Koni Yellow Shocks, Flying Miata Springs, Spec Stage 1 Clutch, E-Code headlights

Next?: 2016 Mazda Mx5? 2017 Mazdaspeed 3?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
SpencerC is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 01-15-2015, 11:21 AM   #3

blake0521 has much to be proud ofblake0521 has much to be proud ofblake0521 has much to be proud ofblake0521 has much to be proud ofblake0521 has much to be proud ofblake0521 has much to be proud ofblake0521 has much to be proud ofblake0521 has much to be proud ofblake0521 has much to be proud ofblake0521 has much to be proud of
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

I like the idea of an miata put I prices it and I will be 8 to 15k since I don't know how to weld and would have to get a shop to do it. Maybe it's easyier then I think?

Mods:
Cobb sri-Cobb tip-Cobb dp-Cobb bvp xle-Cobb ap v3-Cobb shift knob-AutoTech internals-JBR occ stage 2-JBR short shift plate-JBR solid shift bushings-JBR motor mounts (80 rear 70 side)-JBR TruTorsion 125 rear sway bar - JBR FMIC with crash bar and TR8 - Snow Performance meth kit with devils own fuel cell

Old 01-15-2015, 02:23 PM   #4

SpencerC is the leader of the worldSpencerC is the leader of the worldSpencerC is the leader of the worldSpencerC is the leader of the worldSpencerC is the leader of the worldSpencerC is the leader of the worldSpencerC is the leader of the worldSpencerC is the leader of the worldSpencerC is the leader of the worldSpencerC is the leader of the worldSpencerC is the leader of the world
Thanked 4,311 Times in 1,156 Posts
Groans: 0
Groaned at 5 Times in 5 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I doubt it's easier than you think. But if you don't weld or fab it could be more difficult for sure.

Just hand Flyin Miata $30k and a used Miata and they will do it all for you with an LS crate engine.
SOLD: 2009 Metro Gray Mica Mazdaspeed 3 - CorkSport Stage II SRI - CorkSport High Flow Downpipe -CorkSport TMIC - CorkSport Short Shift Plate - CorkSport Shifter Bushings - CorkSport Rear Motor Mount -
CorkSport Passenger Side Motor Mount -Cobb Accessport - CorkSport HPFP Max Flow Fuel Pump Internals - CorkSport LED Kit

1992 Red Mazda Miata - Flyin Miata Swaybars, Hard Dog Hard Bar, Koni Yellow Shocks, Flying Miata Springs, Spec Stage 1 Clutch, E-Code headlights

Next?: 2016 Mazda Mx5? 2017 Mazdaspeed 3?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
SpencerC is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 01-15-2015, 03:21 PM   #5

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Don't have 30 k hahaha I found a rx7 shell for 700 bucks with a motor that needs apex seals and it comes with a spare rotor for 700 total. Might do that so the whole build shouldent be more then 11k

Mods:

Old 01-15-2015, 08:50 PM   #6

Neverlift is the leader of the worldNeverlift is the leader of the worldNeverlift is the leader of the worldNeverlift is the leader of the worldNeverlift is the leader of the worldNeverlift is the leader of the worldNeverlift is the leader of the worldNeverlift is the leader of the worldNeverlift is the leader of the worldNeverlift is the leader of the worldNeverlift is the leader of the world
Thanked 6,371 Times in 2,495 Posts
Groans: 1,143
Groaned at 206 Times in 144 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

'06 MS6: COBB SRI/TIP//18x8 Enkei Imola//TooLateTuning Springs//SPC Balljoints//JBR RMM//Techna-Fit SS Clutch line
Bimmer Challenge & Global Time Attack Project
'99 BMW 328is: KW Variant3 w/ Vorshlag plates//AKG M3 Adj. Endlinks w/ 95 M3 FSB//18x9.5 +35 Advanti Optimo w/ 245/35 Hankook Z214 (C51)//E46 330i Front w/ Hawk DTC60 & E46 328i Rear w/ Hawk DTC50 & Hard Motorsport Ducting//Turner CTSCC Camber Arms//SLR Adjustable Lollipops//3 clutch 3.73 LSD//Welded 4 Point Gusseted X Brace Rollbar + Harness Bar//Sparco Ergo II w/ 6 point Schroth Clubman//Garagistic Delrin Motor & Trans Mounts, Rear Subframe, & Differential Bushings//OEM M3 Rear Subframe Reinforcement & Rear Trailing Arm Pocket Reinforcement//Z3 Steering Rack & Garagistic DSSR SSK//UUC Stage 2 Flywheel & M5 Clutch//S52 Camshafts w/ 7100 redline//M50 Intake Manifold//S50 Oilpan w/ VAC Baffle & Oil Filter Housing//CSF Radiator & Expansion Tank w/ Spal fan//3.5" MAF & Dinan CAI//#24 lb Injectors//VAC Fuel Starvation Kit//Active Autowerke GenII Header-back//OBD1 M52B28 w/ 230+whp
Neverlift is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Neverlift For This Useful Post:
h.h.sk1nny (01-23-2015), Manny (01-17-2015)
 Old 01-15-2015, 09:15 PM   #7

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

What should I have a spare 30k in my dresser? hahaha I am 21 and in college selling cars. I am too broke to drop that kind of money!

Mods:

Old 01-16-2015, 05:41 AM   #8

BLKSTIG is the leader of the worldBLKSTIG is the leader of the worldBLKSTIG is the leader of the worldBLKSTIG is the leader of the worldBLKSTIG is the leader of the worldBLKSTIG is the leader of the worldBLKSTIG is the leader of the worldBLKSTIG is the leader of the worldBLKSTIG is the leader of the worldBLKSTIG is the leader of the worldBLKSTIG is the leader of the world
Groans: 3
Groaned at 7 Times in 6 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I tried to stay away from this thread...I'm a purists when it comes to the rotary powered vehicles. Anyways, I say go miata. I also say that it will be cheaper for you in the long run to pick u an already swapped rx7. If that still isn't an option, abandon ship.
This swap is well documented between both cars, but there is a lot more involved in the swap than most like to give credit for. Without fab skills this can get pricey. Good luck. cruise rx7club. hopefully a cheaper swap will come up for sale already done or someone who has given up will be unloading parts.
'06 Mazdaspeed 6|| Cobb SF & AP Stage 1 | RPM Street Springs | SPC Ball Joints | SU Rear MM | SURE Dread | Whiteline RSB |18x8 Enkei EKM3 w/ 225/40 | JBR SSP & SURE Anchors | Rotora Blanks w/ EBC Red Stuff | 6K HID lights/blown fog | V2 Pre-amp |
BLKSTIG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BLKSTIG For This Useful Post:
chaser27 (01-16-2015)
 Old 01-16-2015, 05:52 AM   #9

Code Monkey is the leader of the worldCode Monkey is the leader of the worldCode Monkey is the leader of the worldCode Monkey is the leader of the worldCode Monkey is the leader of the worldCode Monkey is the leader of the worldCode Monkey is the leader of the worldCode Monkey is the leader of the worldCode Monkey is the leader of the worldCode Monkey is the leader of the worldCode Monkey is the leader of the world
Thanked 9,777 Times in 3,852 Posts
Groans: 17
Groaned at 32 Times in 22 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Cough, cough....

2017 Subaru BRZ
MCS TT1 coilovers|Brembo BBK|6UL 17x9|Trofeo R|ACE 350|flex fuel|Delicious tuned
Code Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Code Monkey For This Useful Post:
BLKSTIG (01-16-2015), Tyhackman15 (01-16-2015)
 Old 01-16-2015, 07:41 AM   #10

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Thanks for the info. I have a guy that is going to inspect that shell to tell me if it's a good platform to start with. If it is not we are going miata. If it is then rx7 time! If I get the rx7 we are going to give the 13b-t a go and if that's not enough power then v8 time.

Mods:

Old 01-16-2015, 07:46 AM   #11
Approved MSF Vendor

Mike@Stratified is the leader of the worldMike@Stratified is the leader of the worldMike@Stratified is the leader of the worldMike@Stratified is the leader of the worldMike@Stratified is the leader of the worldMike@Stratified is the leader of the worldMike@Stratified is the leader of the worldMike@Stratified is the leader of the worldMike@Stratified is the leader of the worldMike@Stratified is the leader of the worldMike@Stratified is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,548 Times in 610 Posts
Groans: 10
Not Ranked  0 score     

A friend of mine put an LS2 in his Miata and the entire build was very well documented. The car is bad ass.

Goodbye 4-Banger, Hello LS2 – Miata Build - LS1TECH

www.stratifiedauto.com
COBB AP and VersaTuner Custom Tuning. Guardian Angel Protection and Boost Control.
Mike@Stratified is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 01-16-2015, 07:47 AM   #12

BLKSTIG is the leader of the worldBLKSTIG is the leader of the worldBLKSTIG is the leader of the worldBLKSTIG is the leader of the worldBLKSTIG is the leader of the worldBLKSTIG is the leader of the worldBLKSTIG is the leader of the worldBLKSTIG is the leader of the worldBLKSTIG is the leader of the worldBLKSTIG is the leader of the worldBLKSTIG is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

I'll check to see if I still have any FC rx7 parts lying around. I know I have a full T2 keg with miscellaneous accessories. Keg needs a rebuild though. Ran fine when pulled but It's been sitting for roughly 4years
'06 Mazdaspeed 6|| Cobb SF & AP Stage 1 | RPM Street Springs | SPC Ball Joints | SU Rear MM | SURE Dread | Whiteline RSB |18x8 Enkei EKM3 w/ 225/40 | JBR SSP & SURE Anchors | Rotora Blanks w/ EBC Red Stuff | 6K HID lights/blown fog | V2 Pre-amp |
 Old 01-21-2015, 05:19 PM   #13

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

So my guy is going to go check that shell hopefully this weekend. If it checks out it will be up to my house asap. Then time to find a turbo 2 rear end or some sort of upgrade. I hate to say it but it is for sure getting a 5.0 V8. Sorry rotary guys! It too hard to resist a motor and trany and some bbk parts with only 70k miles for 1,100. @BLKSTIG; do you have any rear end parts?

Mods:

Old 01-21-2015, 06:05 PM   #14

Not Ranked  0 score     

sorry, no rear end parts. Good luck with the build. My buddy owned a cammed LT1 swapped FC. It was pretty quick. You'll have a lot of fun buying tires all the time haha