register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
CX7FORUMS.ORG - 2007+ Mazda CX-7 Forums
> CX-7 > Issues & Troubleshooting

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 02-25-2015, 08:42 PM   #1

jtb2798 is an unknown quantity at this point
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default 2008 CX-7 Timing chain repair gone wrong

This repair was in the interest of preventative maintenance and the car was running just fine with the exception a noisy timing chain. We have replaced the timing chain, tensioner, VVT actuator, cam position sensor, crank position sensor, plus the bolts and washers (all OEM parts). The chain is in time, we're getting oil pressure, the starter is turning, but the car will not crank. We've checked the grounds and every stupid thing we could think of. We took off bad parts and replaced them with good parts. The chain is in time using the timing tool kit that came with the VVT and there is no adverse sound that you would expect if the chain were not in time and the valves were being destroyed. Does anyone have any other ideas as to why the car will not start? Computer related? Safe mode? I'm open to any suggestions that will prevent me from towing this to the dealer and bending over.
jtb2798 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 02-26-2015, 05:10 AM   #2

xNonAmEx is just really nicexNonAmEx is just really nicexNonAmEx is just really nicexNonAmEx is just really nice
Not Ranked  0 score     

Did you check the spark while cranking?
 Old 02-26-2015, 06:27 AM   #3

RalliartRsX is the leader of the worldRalliartRsX is the leader of the worldRalliartRsX is the leader of the worldRalliartRsX is the leader of the worldRalliartRsX is the leader of the worldRalliartRsX is the leader of the worldRalliartRsX is the leader of the worldRalliartRsX is the leader of the worldRalliartRsX is the leader of the worldRalliartRsX is the leader of the worldRalliartRsX is the leader of the world
Groans: 18
Not Ranked  0 score     

I second sounds like a spark issue
RalliartRsX is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 02-26-2015, 06:57 AM   #4

HawkeyeGeoff is the leader of the worldHawkeyeGeoff is the leader of the worldHawkeyeGeoff is the leader of the worldHawkeyeGeoff is the leader of the worldHawkeyeGeoff is the leader of the worldHawkeyeGeoff is the leader of the worldHawkeyeGeoff is the leader of the worldHawkeyeGeoff is the leader of the worldHawkeyeGeoff is the leader of the worldHawkeyeGeoff is the leader of the worldHawkeyeGeoff is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,708 Times in 1,397 Posts
Groans: 13
Groaned at 23 Times in 13 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by jtb2798 View Post
This repair was in the interest of preventative maintenance and the car was running just fine with the exception a noisy timing chain. We have replaced the timing chain, tensioner, VVT actuator, cam position sensor, crank position sensor, plus the bolts and washers (all OEM parts). The chain is in time, we're getting oil pressure, the starter is turning, but the car will not crank. We've checked the grounds and every stupid thing we could think of. We took off bad parts and replaced them with good parts. The chain is in time using the timing tool kit that came with the VVT and there is no adverse sound that you would expect if the chain were not in time and the valves were being destroyed. Does anyone have any other ideas as to why the car will not start? Computer related? Safe mode? I'm open to any suggestions that will prevent me from towing this to the dealer and bending over.
Any codes being thrown?

I'd third some kind of spark issue.

If you have some kind of torque application you can check the fuel pressure as well.
HawkeyeGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 02-26-2015, 07:33 AM   #5

xfeejayx is the leader of the worldxfeejayx is the leader of the worldxfeejayx is the leader of the worldxfeejayx is the leader of the worldxfeejayx is the leader of the worldxfeejayx is the leader of the worldxfeejayx is the leader of the worldxfeejayx is the leader of the worldxfeejayx is the leader of the worldxfeejayx is the leader of the worldxfeejayx is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,693 Times in 980 Posts
Groans: 78
Groaned at 33 Times in 28 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Check the motor mount ground, and the ground by the fuel pump. That ground by the HPFP has thwarted many people.

Is the motor turning "as it should?" Meaning, does it sound like it has compression, and isn't just free wheeling? It'll turn super fast if it's free wheeling.
xfeejayx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to xfeejayx For This Useful Post:
Raider (02-26-2015)
 Old 02-26-2015, 07:41 AM   #6
6 mods and some Kool-Aid

Raider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the world
Thanked 57,009 Times in 14,590 Posts
Groans: 856
Groaned at 183 Times in 156 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

If the starter is turning, the motor should be cranking. If it is turning over and not firing.

Check grounds as @xfeejayx; said. I think it is on the passenger mount on CX-7. Then that tiny little wire on the hpfp.

Then pull plugs out and connect to coils, crank it over and check for sparky.
Raider is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 02-26-2015, 08:35 AM   #7

xfeejayx is the leader of the worldxfeejayx is the leader of the worldxfeejayx is the leader of the worldxfeejayx is the leader of the worldxfeejayx is the leader of the worldxfeejayx is the leader of the worldxfeejayx is the leader of the worldxfeejayx is the leader of the worldxfeejayx is the leader of the worldxfeejayx is the leader of the worldxfeejayx is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

If you have the means, do a compression check. We've recently learned that the plastic timing tool leaves something to be desired, and your timing can actually be off if you didn't pay attention.
 Old 02-26-2015, 08:59 AM   #8
jbr makes fall-a-parts.

Tokay444 is the leader of the worldTokay444 is the leader of the worldTokay444 is the leader of the worldTokay444 is the leader of the worldTokay444 is the leader of the worldTokay444 is the leader of the worldTokay444 is the leader of the worldTokay444 is the leader of the worldTokay444 is the leader of the worldTokay444 is the leader of the worldTokay444 is the leader of the world
Thanked 26,388 Times in 7,871 Posts
Groans: 793
Groaned at 496 Times in 321 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

How are you getting oil pressure if the car is not cranking?

How is the starter turning without the engine cranking?

Inb4 85% silicone core. It's better than aluminum.
What's you buddy's ex wife trap?
I <3 SP63, but that port job though... "The coolant must be evaporating." Bye Felicia
"Exclusivity" - CP-enis
Demodded.
The Seals

Last edited by Tokay444; 02-26-2015 at 08:59 AM. Reason: MSF Database - Automerged Doublepost
Tokay444 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 02-26-2015, 03:39 PM   #9

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

I am getting spark when attempting to crank and the grounds are connected properly. If the chain was out of time and anything in the engine was being damaged would it not be audible when I attempt to crank it?
 Old 02-26-2015, 03:44 PM   #10

SpencerC is the leader of the worldSpencerC is the leader of the worldSpencerC is the leader of the worldSpencerC is the leader of the worldSpencerC is the leader of the worldSpencerC is the leader of the worldSpencerC is the leader of the worldSpencerC is the leader of the worldSpencerC is the leader of the worldSpencerC is the leader of the worldSpencerC is the leader of the world
Thanked 4,311 Times in 1,156 Posts
Groaned at 5 Times in 5 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

My guess is this guy:

Unless I am misunderstanding and the engine is literally not turning due to something blocking it.... Maybe you forgot to remove the TDC pin in the back of the engine?
SOLD: 2009 Metro Gray Mica Mazdaspeed 3 - CorkSport Stage II SRI - CorkSport High Flow Downpipe -CorkSport TMIC - CorkSport Short Shift Plate - CorkSport Shifter Bushings - CorkSport Rear Motor Mount -
CorkSport Passenger Side Motor Mount -Cobb Accessport - CorkSport HPFP Max Flow Fuel Pump Internals - CorkSport LED Kit

1992 Red Mazda Miata - Flyin Miata Swaybars, Hard Dog Hard Bar, Koni Yellow Shocks, Flying Miata Springs, Spec Stage 1 Clutch, E-Code headlights

Next?: 2016 Mazda Mx5? 2017 Mazdaspeed 3?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by SpencerC; 02-26-2015 at 03:44 PM. Reason: MSF Database - Automerged Doublepost
SpencerC is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 02-26-2015, 03:49 PM   #11

Yatta is the leader of the worldYatta is the leader of the worldYatta is the leader of the worldYatta is the leader of the worldYatta is the leader of the worldYatta is the leader of the worldYatta is the leader of the worldYatta is the leader of the worldYatta is the leader of the worldYatta is the leader of the worldYatta is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,278 Times in 645 Posts
Groans: 1
Groaned at 7 Times in 7 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Spencer@CorkSport View Post
My guess is this guy:

Unless I am misunderstanding and the engine is literally not turning due to something blocking it.... Maybe you forgot to remove the TDC pin in the back of the engine?
Has someone else done this? wondering what would go first or what it would sound like
mods: \\// AT HPFP // AccessPort // CS S2 TIP, SRI and TMIC // CPe S2 RMM // Synapse BPV // Mazda gutted secondary cat // S-OTS+ 91S2 // HKS TP DLi II // Wilwood DP6 13” brakes // TCE 2 piece rear rotors // Maxwell SuperCap/LiFePO4 cell \\//

waiting for install: \\// CPE Catted DP // CS Battery Box // Devils Own Meth kit // H&R Coilovers \\//
Yatta is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 02-26-2015, 04:07 PM   #12

SpencerC is the leader of the worldSpencerC is the leader of the worldSpencerC is the leader of the worldSpencerC is the leader of the worldSpencerC is the leader of the worldSpencerC is the leader of the worldSpencerC is the leader of the worldSpencerC is the leader of the worldSpencerC is the leader of the worldSpencerC is the leader of the worldSpencerC is the leader of the world
Thanked 4,311 Times in 1,156 Posts
Groaned at 5 Times in 5 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Yatta View Post
Has someone else done this? wondering what would go first or what it would sound like
I've never heard of it. But what he wrote doesn't make that much sense either... starter cranking, getting spark, engine isn't cranking... we don't know if he can turn it by hand that I can see, but supposedly all ground and spark is good... so either it is physically blocked right.... or it isn't getting fuel.
SOLD: 2009 Metro Gray Mica Mazdaspeed 3 - CorkSport Stage II SRI - CorkSport High Flow Downpipe -CorkSport TMIC - CorkSport Short Shift Plate - CorkSport Shifter Bushings - CorkSport Rear Motor Mount -
CorkSport Passenger Side Motor Mount -Cobb Accessport - CorkSport HPFP Max Flow Fuel Pump Internals - CorkSport LED Kit

1992 Red Mazda Miata - Flyin Miata Swaybars, Hard Dog Hard Bar, Koni Yellow Shocks, Flying Miata Springs, Spec Stage 1 Clutch, E-Code headlights

Next?: 2016 Mazda Mx5? 2017 Mazdaspeed 3?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
SpencerC is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 02-26-2015, 05:09 PM   #13
jbr makes fall-a-parts.

Tokay444 is the leader of the worldTokay444 is the leader of the worldTokay444 is the leader of the worldTokay444 is the leader of the worldTokay444 is the leader of the worldTokay444 is the leader of the worldTokay444 is the leader of the worldTokay444 is the leader of the worldTokay444 is the leader of the worldTokay444 is the leader of the worldTokay444 is the leader of the world
Thanked 26,388 Times in 7,871 Posts
Groans: 793
Groaned at 496 Times in 321 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

So is it cranking or not?

Inb4 85% silicone core. It's better than aluminum.
What's you buddy's ex wife trap?
I <3 SP63, but that port job though... "The coolant must be evaporating." Bye Felicia
"Exclusivity" - CP-enis
Demodded.
The Seals
Tokay444 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 02-26-2015, 05:11 PM   #14

Spec is the leader of the worldSpec is the leader of the worldSpec is the leader of the worldSpec is the leader of the worldSpec is the leader of the worldSpec is the leader of the worldSpec is the leader of the worldSpec is the leader of the worldSpec is the leader of the worldSpec is the leader of the worldSpec is the leader of the world
Thanked 4,945 Times in 2,142 Posts
Groaned at 35 Times in 30 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Is it even possible to fuck up and have a cam turned 180* on an mzr?
 Old 02-26-2015, 05:48 PM   #15

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Tokay444 View Post
So is it cranking or not?
Sorry let me clarify, the engine is turning, there is spark, there is fuel pressure (at least I think so since the fuel pump spurts gas everywhere when I remove it), but its as if the fuel is not getting to the spark plugs for the engine to fire. Everything was functioning prior to this repair and all that was replaced was the timing chain and related components. Is it possible that the chain could still not be in time even though it is top dead center? When attempting to start the engine the engine seems to be turning at normal speed, there is no metal on metal clashing that I would expect to hear if the valves are being destroyed, and there is no gas smell in the spark plug wells after attempting to crank. This leads me to believe that something, be it a sensor, the computer, all 4 fuel injectors failing at the same time, or simply the chain is somehow not in time and not allowing the car to start. Am I under the wrong impression that the cam shaft can only be in two different positions, either the right way or 180 degrees the wrong way?
 Old 02-26-2015, 11:40 PM   #16

xNonAmEx is just really nicexNonAmEx is just really nicexNonAmEx is just really nicexNonAmEx is just really nice
Not Ranked  0 score     

Technically when using the timing plate you can put cams in 4 different positions: lobes facing each other, pointing in the opposite directions and a combination of those. I would check the compression just to be sure. Regarding fuel, did you check the relays and fuses? Also the ground on the hpfp that Spencer posted.
 Old 02-27-2015, 04:42 AM   #17

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by jtb2798 View Post
Sorry let me clarify, the engine is turning, there is spark, there is fuel pressure (at least I think so since the fuel pump spurts gas everywhere when I remove it), but its as if the fuel is not getting to the spark plugs for the engine to fire. Everything was functioning prior to this repair and all that was replaced was the timing chain and related components. Is it possible that the chain could still not be in time even though it is top dead center? When attempting to start the engine the engine seems to be turning at normal speed, there is no metal on metal clashing that I would expect to hear if the valves are being destroyed, and there is no gas smell in the spark plug wells after attempting to crank. This leads me to believe that something, be it a sensor, the computer, all 4 fuel injectors failing at the same time, or simply the chain is somehow not in time and not allowing the car to start. Am I under the wrong impression that the cam shaft can only be in two different positions, either the right way or 180 degrees the wrong way?
Please Read. Every. Post. After reading, go through what you have and haven't done, and answer accordingly. Your car will run faster if you do this.

3 people have now told you to check your grounds, especially at the HPFP. Please start there if you haven't already.

Using the plastic timing tool you probably got with that kit, yes, you can accidentally install either cam 180*. If one cam is 180*, the engine will crank faster than normal because you don't have compression. This will not destroy your valves. You will hear nothing except a fast crank.
I don't know how good your ear is at hearing a fast crank, but to make sure this is right, put everything back to 0* and make sure the cam lobes at cylinder one are facing up and towards the center of the engine.

It's not your injectors. All 4 don't go at once.
 Old 03-04-2015, 12:17 PM   #18

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Wound up just taking the car to Mazda. Mazda saying that the car was put back together out of time and attempted to start and needs a new head. Is this even possible if the car never cranked?
 Old 03-04-2015, 12:28 PM   #19
6 mods and some Kool-Aid

Raider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

It did crank if the engine turned over. You said starter moved, so engine moved, and engine is now busted.

The timing tools were not used properly or failed, and it came out of time. TDC was not verified after assembly, prior to starting, is my guess, as a way to check. Would have to know where cams are for TDC, as well as crank.

Most likely a valve got bent and caused damage. Its super-common for the non-dealer mechanic to do this. Like VERY common. Extremely common when it is a shade-tree mechanic in their garage who has not done this before.

Note that you can get an entire motor rebuilt longblock from @EdgeAutosport.com; probably cheaper than a Mazda dealer head. Of course, I would recommend getting the dealer to install it.
 Old 03-04-2015, 12:48 PM   #20

shamie is the leader of the worldshamie is the leader of the worldshamie is the leader of the worldshamie is the leader of the worldshamie is the leader of the worldshamie is the leader of the worldshamie is the leader of the worldshamie is the leader of the worldshamie is the leader of the worldshamie is the leader of the worldshamie is the leader of the world
Groans: 2
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I would be suspect of needing a new head. Sounds like the dealer knows he's going to be in this almost as much labor to swap a head, so why not charge you for one while he's in there.
2009 MGM MS3 - / HTP 3"/ COBB AP, FMIC, RMM, & DP / AT Internals / Manley Rods & Pistons / ARP studs & bolts / Koyorad radiator / DM OCCs / ACT Clutch / Bilstein B16 / CS Camber Plates, Camber Arms, & Seals / JBR .125 RSB, 51R Battery Box & Raider's AD / StopTech Brakes
shamie is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 10-14-2015, 05:50 PM   #21

CX-7Pilot will become famous soon enough
Not Ranked  0 score     

So what's the word? Did the dealer end up replacing the head? What did that set you back? I might be in the same boat, but hopefully I'm getting mine in before permanent damage is done.
CX-7Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 10-14-2015, 06:11 PM   #22
6 mods and some Kool-Aid

Not Ranked  0 score     

The guy has not logged in for 7 months.
 Old 02-18-2016, 02:55 PM   #23

ace woodford is an unknown quantity at this point
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default VERY similar problem with mine..can anyone help me?

Hello, I'm in desperate need of some mechanical advice for my 2007 CX-7 Grand Touring. Here's the story, I was driving my son home to his mother's last month in sub-zero temps and I blew a coolant hose...in the middle of nowhere...I foolishly made the decision to limp it to the next small town 4 miles away(it was -4deg and I was more afraid of being stuck with my 10yr old in the deathly cold than I was about the effects on my engine), We made it to safety but the car overheated and blew a headgasket as well as melted the coil boots on #'s 3 and 4. I got the car towed home and had my mechanic replaced the head gasket as well as machine the head, replace timing chain/vet etc.. He finally got everything together yesterday but now we can't get it to start. The timing was done right(all coil packs are sparking) but it still won't fire up.

Can anyone PLEASE give me some advice on where to begin? My wife's advice is to crush the car, but I've done soooo much work on this vehicle over the 175k miles I've owned it that it's become a war of attrition between the CX-7 and myself...and I'm not giving up... PLEASE HELP
ace woodford is offline   Reply With Quote