register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
CX7FORUMS.ORG - 2007+ Mazda CX-7 Forums
> CX-7 > Issues & Troubleshooting

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By tchase

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 12-27-2011, 06:39 AM   #1

tchase will become famous soon enough
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default Car sputtering (CEL) P2119

I changed the oil Saturday, washed it and parked it all weekend.

Went out to warm it up this morning and it was sputtering bad with a CEL. After the idel kicked down it stopped sputtering but won't hit 3500 rpm starts sputtering out.

Going to head up to autozone when they open to get a report. But thought I would throw it out there any ideas?

Update:
I had to wait for Autozone to open, went to start the car and it was running normal (still had the CEL). Got up to the store with no problems they hooked up the data logger and I have cod P2119. I am going to start with the cleaning the EGR and throttle body (since I will have it all opened).

I'll post back with results.

Last edited by tchase; 12-27-2011 at 07:58 AM.
tchase is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 12-27-2011, 10:46 AM   #2

edwhayes is a name known to alledwhayes is a name known to alledwhayes is a name known to alledwhayes is a name known to alledwhayes is a name known to alledwhayes is a name known to all
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

P2119 pointe to the throttle body
edwhayes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to edwhayes For This Useful Post:
Raider (12-27-2011)
 Old 12-27-2011, 11:15 AM   #3

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by edwhayes View Post
P2119 pointe to the throttle body
I agree, but the guy at AutoZone said it's more of a get you close code. What would there be to "fix" on the throttle body?

I've got it all open now and I'm cleaning the valve and tube (both have a lot of carbon) Is there anything else I should do while I have it all open? As I said before after letting it sit for a half hour or so when I was waiting for the store to open. It then started up fine with no problems other than the CEL was still lit. I have no idea if it has anything to do with it, but the CEL came on a few months ago, I thought maybe I didn't tighten the gas cap so I just reset the ECU and the CEL went of I'm now wondering if it was a sign.
 Old 12-27-2011, 11:22 AM   #4

MSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,795 Times in 954 Posts
Groans: 134
Groaned at 46 Times in 30 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

OP: A little hint: If you donate a little bit to help keep this site going, you'll get access to parts of this board you cannot presently see.

Included in that additional access is specific diagnostic information regarding each and every Mazdaspeed specific DTC code, how to trouble shoot the code, the specific tests to perform and the steps and sequence to work through to resolve the issue and keep the code from coming back.

I'm talking about the entire official detailed Mazda service manual for your car. All 2900+ pages of it.

I think you should be checking for throttle actuator malfunction, throttle valve malfunction and/or a PCM malfunction.

Cleaning the throttle body would be a good start. Perhaps the throttle position sensor has gone out? Did you get the throttle body wet when you washed the car?

Sold 1/25/2019: Sunlight Silver '08 MS3 GT Mods:
BNR Stage 1 (to fix smoking K04 turbo), TurboXS 3" Catless DP/RP "Stealthback" into stock CBE, Vibrant 3 inch Ultra Quiet Resonator in RP section, Magnaflow 3 1/2" exhaust tip, Mazdaspeed CAI w/air straightener and K&N conical filter, NGK 6510 Iridium IX one step colder plugs, Hypertech tune, Autotech HPFP internals, Stock BPV (works perfectly), Yokohama Advan Neova AD08R's (stock size on stock rims); Hawk HPS pads; SURE RMM; Grimmspeed EBCS (2 port mode), Bilstein B6's, SPC rear camber arms.

Last edited by MSMS3; 12-27-2011 at 11:41 AM.
MSMS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 12-27-2011, 11:26 AM   #5
6 mods and some Kool-Aid

Raider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the world
Thanked 57,009 Times in 14,590 Posts
Groans: 856
Groaned at 183 Times in 156 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

P0401 is the clogged EGR error. You do not have that. It will not cause those symptoms, either.
Raider is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 12-27-2011, 11:32 AM   #6

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Just the info so far is well worth a small donation. I 'll get crackin on it right now. Raider several other threads with the symtoms I have point the EGR.
Raider likes this.
 Old 12-27-2011, 11:36 AM   #7
6 mods and some Kool-Aid

Raider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Just 3 of the threads that came up with this:
Let me google that for you

Trouble Code P2119 - StreetUnitForum.com
Code P2119 Throttle actuator
CEL P2119 X2 w/ CPE Intake

Seriously, I made the EGR cleaning thread. It's not it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Raider For This Useful Post:
Post pwned (12-27-2011)
 Old 12-27-2011, 11:56 AM   #8

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Thank you Raider, I didn't search beyond this site once i had the code... the link you gave with the CPE is the exact symptoms. They didn't go further on the trouble shooting! I'll keep looking, I guess the bright side is the EGR was pretty dirty. Now I need to start reading up and underingstanding. I got the VIP so hoping i can find the right tread thanks again.

" P2119 is a throttle actuator control throttle body range/performance DTC.
The PCM (ECU) is comparing the throttle position to the default throttle position when the ignition is off (doing a diagnostic check). Seeing as how throttle control is electronic, this diagnostic will fail if the TP is higher than default at startup and will throw a code.

It's either the throttle actuator or the TP sensor that's acting up. If you are a do-it-yourselfer, I can post some info on how to diagnose the problem."
 Old 12-27-2011, 12:03 PM   #9
6 mods and some Kool-Aid

Not Ranked  0 score     

I am going to assume your warranty is long gone, right?
 Old 12-27-2011, 12:18 PM   #10

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

66k, and 3 mods so I figured the dealer wasn't an option. I not finding much on problem shooting the sensor or bad actuator
 Old 12-27-2011, 12:20 PM   #11
6 mods and some Kool-Aid

Not Ranked  0 score     

The FSM is in VIP
http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/foru...anual-pdf-433/
 Old 12-27-2011, 12:24 PM   #12

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Is this the throttle position sensor circled in red?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TBsensor.jpg (1.62 MB, 57 views)
 Old 12-27-2011, 12:54 PM   #13
6 mods and some Kool-Aid

Not Ranked  0 score     

Think so, not sure 100%. Trying to find it.
 Old 12-27-2011, 01:12 PM   #14
6 mods and some Kool-Aid

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Raider View Post
page 282 and 911 of the FSM should get you going.
 Old 12-27-2011, 01:24 PM   #15

silvapain is the leader of the worldsilvapain is the leader of the worldsilvapain is the leader of the worldsilvapain is the leader of the worldsilvapain is the leader of the worldsilvapain is the leader of the worldsilvapain is the leader of the worldsilvapain is the leader of the worldsilvapain is the leader of the worldsilvapain is the leader of the worldsilvapain is the leader of the world
Thanked 19,667 Times in 5,045 Posts
Groans: 136
Groaned at 47 Times in 41 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

If you washed the car then set it up in the cold for a couple days, it could be something as simple as the throttle plate iced up.

Are the TB coolant lines still in place?

Tapadatass
 Old 12-27-2011, 01:36 PM   #16

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

The TB coolant lines looked good before I took them off and the car is garaged. So I don't think it would of been frozen up. There is a fair amount of carbon on the inside. I just did the res test on the TB should be 0.3-100 im getting 2.8
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1109.JPG (2.01 MB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1111.JPG (1.93 MB, 24 views)
 Old 12-27-2011, 01:52 PM   #17

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Well at this point I think I'm going to just clean the TB and the EGR put it all back together clear the CEL and hope for the best. The TB is an expensive replacement part I'd like to know for sure before I replace it and at this point I'm not sure.

Thank you for the help eveyone!
 Old 12-27-2011, 04:16 PM   #18

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

All put back together, just got back from test drive. All seems well, thanks again for everyone's help if anythying I learned a little more about my engine today.
 Old 01-17-2012, 12:55 PM   #19

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

19 days later and 1100 miles no CEL no sputtering, thanks again everyone!
 Old 01-07-2014, 07:48 AM   #20

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Did it again this morning. The car is normally garaged but I have studs on so I've been parking it outside. The car had been sitting outside for 3 days and the temps have been dropping into the 20s F. I got it into the garage (barely) sat for an hour, now starting and running fine. So I cleared the cel I'm taking the advice (Silvapain)this time that the plate might of iced over. I'll report back, one thing is constant it's cold out...
 Old 01-07-2014, 08:13 AM   #21

lildisco has a reputation beyond reputelildisco has a reputation beyond reputelildisco has a reputation beyond reputelildisco has a reputation beyond reputelildisco has a reputation beyond reputelildisco has a reputation beyond reputelildisco has a reputation beyond reputelildisco has a reputation beyond reputelildisco has a reputation beyond reputelildisco has a reputation beyond reputelildisco has a reputation beyond repute
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

wonder if you need to change your coolant? Old coolant will freeze in certain temps, especially with below 0 temps like what i'm currently experiencing. A friend of mine on another forum was pouring the 50/50 mix into his car & some spilled on the car and froze almost instantly (-15 outside)

Depending on where you're at, you might want to go 70/30 & see if that helps your situation. If you haven't changed it since you had the car, it might be a good idea to do so anyways. I just flushed mine in August. Mine is an 08 with around 60,000 at the time & it wasn't bad, but you could tell it wasn't as green as the new stuff i put in.

Originally Posted by TopGear Magazine
This is a good car, a fine family SUV that will serve you well, if unremarkably. It's on sale from 18 May, and its arrival signals the phasing out of the larger CX-7, like the 2 supermini, one of Mazda's underrated, underappreciated cars. Let's hope the CX-5 avoids the same fate. It deserves to.
Tuned with
lildisco is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 01-07-2014, 04:37 PM   #22

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Not a bad suggestion mine is an 07 and I've never flushed it. I'm south east of Seattle we rarely drop to the teens. It's been a year and over 25k miles since this happened but I am planning on going up to the mountains late Jan or Feb so in addition to the coolant change maybe replacing the OEM battery as well it's been turning slow in the low temps!

Thanks for the advise, I took the car for a 10 mile drive drove fine.