register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
CX7FORUMS.ORG - 2007+ Mazda CX-7 Forums
> CX-7 > Issues & Troubleshooting

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By edwhayes

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 11-05-2010, 11:12 AM   #1

bzwyatt is the leader of the worldbzwyatt is the leader of the worldbzwyatt is the leader of the worldbzwyatt is the leader of the worldbzwyatt is the leader of the worldbzwyatt is the leader of the worldbzwyatt is the leader of the worldbzwyatt is the leader of the worldbzwyatt is the leader of the worldbzwyatt is the leader of the worldbzwyatt is the leader of the world
Groans: 10
Groaned at 35 Times in 14 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default CX-7 AC compressor fail thread

My CX-7 has 45k miles and last weekend I was driving and heard a nasty, loud, whining sound from my engine area, towards the passenger side. Sounded like bearings locking up, I guess, not exactly sure how to describe it or if that's actually what I heard, but it was something rotating that was creating lots of friction, basically. So I switched off the AC real quick and it went away. Turned it on, it came back, and I was certain it was the compressor locking up.
I didn't really want to go to my dealer because they've always been kinda lame, but they must have changed managers or something, 'cause they were cool this time. They acknowledged the extension of the warranty for AC parts to 60k miles and said they could get the parts quick if I needed the repair. They took ten minutes to look at my car, came and told me they'd confirmed the compressor was locking up, would order the parts and have them in by Friday (today). They also noticed one of my motor mounts going bad and would replace it under warranty. I'd noticed some oil coming out of it and some vibration on that side of the car, so I was pretty sure it was bad, but I didn't expect the dealer to be so willing to fix it.
It all sounds good, hopefully it works out. Only problem is I forgot to put the stock BPV on, hopefully they don't bitch about that for anything.
bzwyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 11-05-2010, 11:59 AM   #2

Headbasha is a splendid one to beholdHeadbasha is a splendid one to beholdHeadbasha is a splendid one to beholdHeadbasha is a splendid one to beholdHeadbasha is a splendid one to beholdHeadbasha is a splendid one to beholdHeadbasha is a splendid one to behold
Groans: 0
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Did you have any other mods on the vehicle? My air does not blow cold as i think it should. its cold but not really cold like my other vehicles. I got mailout in the mail that was from mazda about the air conditioning and i wanted to take it up there and get it looked at. i just dont want to put the stock stuff back on. Im lazy i guess. Im wondering if i dont put it back on will it void my warranty?
Headbasha is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 11-06-2010, 08:27 AM   #3

bzwyatt is the leader of the worldbzwyatt is the leader of the worldbzwyatt is the leader of the worldbzwyatt is the leader of the worldbzwyatt is the leader of the worldbzwyatt is the leader of the worldbzwyatt is the leader of the worldbzwyatt is the leader of the worldbzwyatt is the leader of the worldbzwyatt is the leader of the worldbzwyatt is the leader of the world
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

No, my only mod is the Forge BPV. I got my car back last night, they put a new motor mount on and did whatever they do to the compressor (replace, I assume?) I don't really know if the AC works better... it was pretty hot the last couple days, but it cooled down yesterday so I can't really try it out. Mine worked fine before as long as you were driving, but if you slowed down much it didn't cool very well, especially on a hot day.
My dealer didn't say anything about the BPV. I don't think they could void the AC warranty since it's a known faulty part...
I also asked about the dealership and there's a new owner and he supposedly fired the two main service guys. Kinda explains things a bit.
 Old 11-06-2010, 08:37 AM   #4

Headbasha is a splendid one to beholdHeadbasha is a splendid one to beholdHeadbasha is a splendid one to beholdHeadbasha is a splendid one to beholdHeadbasha is a splendid one to beholdHeadbasha is a splendid one to beholdHeadbasha is a splendid one to behold
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

i have the same problem.. When you slow down it does not cool well.
Headbasha is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 11-06-2010, 09:50 AM   #5
The Kamikaze King!

FreeFlyFreak is the leader of the worldFreeFlyFreak is the leader of the worldFreeFlyFreak is the leader of the worldFreeFlyFreak is the leader of the worldFreeFlyFreak is the leader of the worldFreeFlyFreak is the leader of the worldFreeFlyFreak is the leader of the worldFreeFlyFreak is the leader of the worldFreeFlyFreak is the leader of the worldFreeFlyFreak is the leader of the worldFreeFlyFreak is the leader of the world
Thanked 3,286 Times in 1,253 Posts
Groans: 754
Groaned at 128 Times in 100 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by bzwyatt View Post
They acknowledged the extension of the warranty for AC parts to 60k miles and said they could get the parts quick if I needed the repair.
Please expand on this.

Is this a tsb or something?
Does it apply to 3's and 6's too

Thanks

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/FreeFlyFreak/speed-3

Suspension:
OEM --> FSD 4040 --> FSD 4040 with cut stops --> MS Coils --> FSD 4045's --> FSD4045 with cut stops --> Bilstein Sports

Yes, that is me in the avatar.
FreeFlyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 11-08-2010, 11:47 AM   #6

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

I got a letter (as did a few other CX-7 owners I know of, probably every owner of a CX-7 in the VIN range) that said the compressor was faulty for cars manufactured during a certain time period. A vane would break loose and cause it to lock up, I think. Anyway, the compressor was faulty so Mazda extended the warranty to 60k miles for AC parts. There is a redesigned compressor that replaces the faulty one.
That's all I know really. I don't know if other models have the same faulty compressor. I will put a copy of the letter up here for anybody to read it. You don't have to have the letter, your dealer should know about it and if your AC goes bad within the 60k mile period - and it will if you have the bad compressor - the dealer will repair it under the warranty.
 Old 11-09-2010, 05:38 AM   #7
6 mods and some Kool-Aid

Raider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the world
Thanked 57,009 Times in 14,590 Posts
Groans: 856
Groaned at 183 Times in 156 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I have the PDF's of the extension, but cannot upload them here. It is for CX-7's only. They are a pile of shit for the early ones. Most crapped out a while ago. Some take time. They extended the AC compressor warranty to 5/60K. There was a newer version released, which is better. Seems they overfilled early ones, causing them to fail, per their documentation.

As for anyone who is going to go in for any warranty repair to the dealer, or hell, for any repair at all at a dealer while under warranty, TAKE OFF THE MODS! They can void powertrain warranties, causing you to fight legally over it to be reinstated. It sucks, but the dealer may be cool, but if you have a Regional Dickhead Manager like I do, they can go in, see an intake, and say void. Sucks, but it can and has happened before. Spend the few hours going to stock.

PS, we got our passenger mount replaced under extended warranty a couple weeks ago. Caused knocking over bumps, clicking when turning, it was wild.
Raider is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 11-09-2010, 04:07 PM   #8

edwhayes is a name known to alledwhayes is a name known to alledwhayes is a name known to alledwhayes is a name known to alledwhayes is a name known to alledwhayes is a name known to all
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

AC compressor warrantied for 5 years or 60,000 miles. You should have received a letter stating that.
edwhayes is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 06-12-2011, 08:18 AM   #9

BillsFan is the leader of the worldBillsFan is the leader of the worldBillsFan is the leader of the worldBillsFan is the leader of the worldBillsFan is the leader of the worldBillsFan is the leader of the worldBillsFan is the leader of the worldBillsFan is the leader of the worldBillsFan is the leader of the worldBillsFan is the leader of the worldBillsFan is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,117 Times in 135 Posts
Groans: 3
Not Ranked  0 score     

My compressor just shit the bed...as soon as it started to go I knew what was happening and cut off the AC. Did create a bit of that foul smelling smoke - but car seems to run fine with the AC off.

Any reason I can't drive it as long as I leave the AC off? Can't get to the dealership for a few days and really don't want to mess with a rental.
 Old 06-12-2011, 08:37 AM   #10
6 mods and some Kool-Aid

Raider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Sadly, when it goes, it freezes completely. I would avoid driving it. One guy did keep driving, and it burned to the ground. Rare, but if the compressor locks, the belt will burn.
 Old 06-12-2011, 09:10 AM   #11

edwhayes is a name known to alledwhayes is a name known to alledwhayes is a name known to alledwhayes is a name known to alledwhayes is a name known to alledwhayes is a name known to all
Not Ranked  0 score     

I wish mine would fail anytime now as I'm at 46,000 miles. I thought about going to the dealer and saying it sounds bad at times and looses cool but, doubt that would work.
Alpha Wolf likes this.
 Old 06-12-2011, 07:59 PM   #12

BillsFan is the leader of the worldBillsFan is the leader of the worldBillsFan is the leader of the worldBillsFan is the leader of the worldBillsFan is the leader of the worldBillsFan is the leader of the worldBillsFan is the leader of the worldBillsFan is the leader of the worldBillsFan is the leader of the worldBillsFan is the leader of the worldBillsFan is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Yeah - decided to take the rental rather than take a chance on wreaking more havoc...
Raider (06-12-2011)
 Old 06-12-2011, 08:03 PM   #13
6 mods and some Kool-Aid

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by edwhayes View Post
I wish mine would fail anytime now as I'm at 46,000 miles. I thought about going to the dealer and saying it sounds bad at times and looses cool but, doubt that would work.
Do it. Purge some refridgerant before you go in. Lol.
 Old 06-15-2011, 11:43 AM   #14

Not Ranked  0 score     

Back from out of town- have an appt first thing tomorrow to get it replaced.
 Old 06-15-2011, 07:32 PM   #15
6 mods and some Kool-Aid

Not Ranked  0 score     

Hope it gets fixed...
 Old 06-16-2011, 05:02 AM   #16

Not Ranked  0 score     

Yeah - the service dept at Capital Mazda in Cary is usually excellent, and I had my letter from Mazda in hand when I arrived. Car's back in the garage as I type.
Raider (06-16-2011)
 Old 06-16-2011, 05:08 AM   #17
6 mods and some Kool-Aid

Not Ranked  0 score     

Nice...
 Old 06-16-2011, 08:59 AM   #18

Not Ranked  0 score     

Aaaaaaaand it's fixed. No worries that I left the CPE TMIC on.

Nice and cold AC is back just in time for the temps to creep back into the 90s...
 Old 06-16-2011, 11:50 AM   #19

lvdukerider has a spectacular aura aboutlvdukerider has a spectacular aura about
Groans: 1
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I wouldent think it to be in the dealer/service departments intrest to void your warrante,mazda does pay them for warrante work that most people would just have to not do or seek out less expensive alternatives if it wasent for the warrante.
lvdukerider is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 06-16-2011, 11:54 AM   #20
6 mods and some Kool-Aid

Not Ranked  0 score     

I cannot understand your post, but they can and often DO void warranties for mods installed.
 Old 06-16-2011, 12:21 PM   #21

Not Ranked  0 score     

Yeah - fortunately the service manager is cool and we talked about his take on mods before I even put the strut tower brace on - for the compressor we chatted before I came in and reading between the lines of the conversation it was clear that given the extended warranty / known issue with the compressor there was no need for me to put stock TMIC back on.

Now - if I had a more serious engine problem .... i'm gonna stock out so that I don't put him or myself in a bad spot....

And the losers at the Durham dealership would probably enjoy voiding it in a hearbeat.

lvdukerider - dealerships that ignore mods and do warranty work risk having to eat the cost if corporate finds out.
 Old 06-16-2011, 02:04 PM   #22

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Nice man. It feels good to have warranty work done. They replaced my turbo, compressor and thermostat under warranty. Guess nothing ever needing to be replaced would be the best, but getting it done and having the new parts is cool. I'm lucky to never even have lost any time due to stuff failing too.

Sweet you got it fixed, and didn't have to stock out.
 Old 06-16-2011, 09:19 PM   #23

lvdukerider has a spectacular aura aboutlvdukerider has a spectacular aura about
Groans: 1
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

That make sense about the dealer having to absorb the cost if they turn a blind eye to performance mods if corporate finds out.
lvdukerider is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 07-04-2011, 09:21 AM   #24
Banned

Ascend can only hope to improve
Groaned at 20 Times in 4 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

When my A/C went out it did the same thing: locked up and started smoking and squeeling. Funny that they also had to replace a motor mount. Luckily I was under an extended warranty when it happened so everything was covered.

Then, Mazda sent me one of those letters about their faulty A/C units and I applied for the credit of my $50 deductible and they said my CX7 had too many miles on it to qualify, lol. I've definitely had more problems now w/ my CX-7 than any other vehicle I've owned and thanks to Mazda's subpar customer service from day one we definitely won't be buying another one.
Ascend is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 07-15-2011, 07:01 AM   #25

Not Ranked  0 score     

I would like to get the Mazda part number for the CX7-2007 AC compressor. I am only interested in the "improved" replacement compressor. Thank you. Ed
 Old 07-15-2011, 07:11 AM   #26
6 mods and some Kool-Aid

Not Ranked  0 score     

EGY1-61-45Z
 Old 07-15-2011, 10:02 AM   #27

Not Ranked  0 score     

Thanks Radar: The reason I asked is that mazdaparts is selling a new 07 compressor & belt for $277.xx. I am not sure that is the "upgraded compressor". Are you quite sure that is the upgraded compressor? Thanks again. Ed
 Old 07-15-2011, 10:05 AM   #28
6 mods and some Kool-Aid

Not Ranked  0 score     

The new one came out like 3 or 4 years ago.
 Old 07-15-2011, 11:31 AM   #29

Not Ranked  0 score     

Thanks again Radar. As I mentioned once before, my compressor is doing OK at ~ 50K miles. Mazda gets ~ $1,300? to replace unless you get it under warranty. I was trying to see what my cost might be if it goes out after the warranty is out. Maybe I will luck out and it will fail before the warranty is out. :-)
 Old 07-15-2011, 12:29 PM   #30
6 mods and some Kool-Aid

Not Ranked  0 score     

Yeah. that sounds about right. You can always drain the refrigerant, and take it in. Explain you saw smoke and hot air before it quit. Default is to swap it they stock em.
 Old 07-15-2011, 04:25 PM   #31

Not Ranked  0 score     

I hear you.

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/forum/f518/cx-7-ac-compressor-fail-thread-63743/
Posted By For Type Date
2012 Mazda CX-7 AWD 4dr GS - Autofocus.ca This thread Refback 12-01-2015 03:34 PM
Reliability of 2008 vs. 2007 Models | MCX7 Community Forums This thread Refback 02-20-2014 11:31 AM
Reliability of 2008 vs. 2007 Models This thread Refback 08-01-2011 10:56 PM
Reliability of 2008 vs. 2007 Models This thread Refback 11-09-2010 12:54 PM