register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
CX7FORUMS.ORG - 2007+ Mazda CX-7 Forums
> CX-7 > Issues & Troubleshooting

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 11-29-2010, 08:59 AM   #1
6 mods and some Kool-Aid

Raider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the world
Thanked 57,009 Times in 14,590 Posts
Groans: 856
Groaned at 183 Times in 156 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default CX-7 Smoking Turbo TSB

This is the TSB. Not sure if posted on the other parts of the forum.

SMOKE FROM TAIL PIPES AFTER PROLONGED IDLE PERIODS

Applicable Models

Model Starting S/N Ending S/N Model Spec CX7 2007-2008 000001 209008 P/D BEFORE 2/15/2008 MAZDA6 2006-2007 000001 999999 ALL MAZDASPEED6 MAZDA3 2007-2008 000001 880368 P/D BEFORE 2/6/2008 Related Category/Subcategory/Symptoms

ENGINE / MECHANICAL / WHITE SMOKE,BLUE SMOKE
ENGINE / EMISSIONS SYSTEM / EXCESSIVE OIL CONSUMPTION
ENGINE / EMISSIONS SYSTEM / WHITE SMOKE,BLUE SMOKE
ENGINE / EMISSIONS SYSTEM / BLACK SMOKE
ENGINE / MECHANICAL / EXCESSIVE OIL CONSUMPTION

MTOL - 5505 Dealer Repair Information

Symptom and Conditions

Applicable Model(s) VINS

CX-7 JM3ER ****8* 209008 Produced before 2/15/08
MAZDASPEED6 ALL ALL
MAZDASPEED3 JM1BK ****8* 880368 Produced before 2/6/08

Some customers may experience white/blue smoke from their exhaust pipes
after prolonged idle periods and/or while driving in traffic at very
slow speeds.

This condition may be the result of the turbo's oil supply not being
able to adequately drain out of the turbo during long idle periods.

Vehicles having this concern should be diagnosed using the following diagnostics procedure.
Repair Procedure

1. Confirm that the proper maintenance intervals have been performed.

2. With the engine at normal operating temperature, allow it to idle
for an extended idle period.

Caution:
Closely monitor the engine coolant to the assure the engine does not Overheat.

3. If smoke from the exhaust is present after the extended idle period,
take before pictures of the smoke, then change the oil and filter
using 5W/40 (synthetic). After the oil change, in order to burn off
the oil that remains in the exhaust system, perform the following:
start the engine, check for oil leaks, then let it idle for 10
minutes, after the 10 minute idle period, increase the RPMs to 3000
for 1 minute, repeat idle test to confirm that no smoke returns.

A: If the smoke returns, contact the Technical Assistance Hotline
(Select option #2 for Major Assembly Authorization) with the oil
change history information, to attain an authorization for a turbo
replacement.

B: If smoke DOES NOT RETURN after the repeat idle test, NO other repairs
are to be performed at this time. Explain to the customer that MAZDA
is currently working on an improved positive crankcase valve (PCV)
system to reduce the engine crankcase pressures to allow the turbo's
oil supply to drain from the turbocharger more efficiently This fix
will be available approximately within 90 days and at that time the
oil will be changed back to 5W-30 and the improved PCV system will be
installed
Raider is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Raider For This Useful Post:
bzwyatt (11-29-2010)
 Old 11-29-2010, 10:08 AM   #2

bzwyatt is the leader of the worldbzwyatt is the leader of the worldbzwyatt is the leader of the worldbzwyatt is the leader of the worldbzwyatt is the leader of the worldbzwyatt is the leader of the worldbzwyatt is the leader of the worldbzwyatt is the leader of the worldbzwyatt is the leader of the worldbzwyatt is the leader of the worldbzwyatt is the leader of the world
Groans: 10
Groaned at 35 Times in 14 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Thanks Raider. Do we know if the new PCV system mentioned in the TSB was ever released?
bzwyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 11-29-2010, 10:11 AM   #3
6 mods and some Kool-Aid

Raider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the world
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

New PCV upgrade for the older vehicles will get a new PCV system. It is to be released in Neveruary, starting with Fantasyland, moving to the United States February 31st, 2011.
 Old 11-29-2010, 05:33 PM   #4

bzwyatt is the leader of the worldbzwyatt is the leader of the worldbzwyatt is the leader of the worldbzwyatt is the leader of the worldbzwyatt is the leader of the worldbzwyatt is the leader of the worldbzwyatt is the leader of the worldbzwyatt is the leader of the worldbzwyatt is the leader of the worldbzwyatt is the leader of the worldbzwyatt is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Just saw this in one of the forums on here...

http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/foru...-2010-a-65810/
The Following User Says Thank You to bzwyatt For This Useful Post:
FreeFlyFreak (12-06-2010)
 Old 12-06-2010, 02:52 PM   #5

Not Ranked  0 score     

I took my car to the dealer last week. Was disappointed that the guy who was cool with my AC situation last time wasn't there. The dude I talked with was kinda lame. He told me he needed my car for a day to diagnose and he'd have to have Mazda US come up from Irvine to order parts and some other bullshit. I made an appointment to bring it in today and it's there now. I left the car running and was ready to sit there 'til it started smoking if the guy wasn't cooperative, but he said he believed me it was smoking and he knew that turbos are getting replaced for CX-7s and 3s.
So he's supposed to call back and I'm gonna be fuckin' pissed if he says anything besides 'I'm ordering your new turbo, when can you come to have it installed?'

We'll see...
 Old 12-06-2010, 04:43 PM   #6
The Kamikaze King!

FreeFlyFreak is the leader of the worldFreeFlyFreak is the leader of the worldFreeFlyFreak is the leader of the worldFreeFlyFreak is the leader of the worldFreeFlyFreak is the leader of the worldFreeFlyFreak is the leader of the worldFreeFlyFreak is the leader of the worldFreeFlyFreak is the leader of the worldFreeFlyFreak is the leader of the worldFreeFlyFreak is the leader of the worldFreeFlyFreak is the leader of the world
Thanked 3,286 Times in 1,253 Posts
Groans: 754
Groaned at 128 Times in 100 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Here is the actual TSB: click here>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>VVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

Posted here: http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/foru...-2010-a-65810/

You CX-7 guys need to get out of your section more

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/FreeFlyFreak/speed-3

Suspension:
OEM --> FSD 4040 --> FSD 4040 with cut stops --> MS Coils --> FSD 4045's --> FSD4045 with cut stops --> Bilstein Sports

Yes, that is me in the avatar.

Last edited by FreeFlyFreak; 12-30-2010 at 11:45 AM.
FreeFlyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 12-06-2010, 05:04 PM   #7

Not Ranked  0 score     

Thanks man but I found that and posted it in this thread. #4.
 Old 12-13-2010, 02:17 PM   #8

Not Ranked  0 score     

So they're ordering the parts for a new turbo, should be in this week. Car's been smoking more frequently, after shorter idle periods. It's kinda funny to take off and leave a cloud of smoke behind me and have all the cars slow way down to stay out of the way, hehe.
I heard that catalytic converters can get fucked up if they have to burn lots of oil, anybody heard that?
 Old 12-14-2010, 11:13 AM   #9
6 mods and some Kool-Aid

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

We actually had it posted on our old forum a long time ago, and moved it as well as a ton of other stuff here.

Originally Posted by FreeFlyFreak View Post
Here is the actual TSB: ciock here>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>VVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
Smoking = New Turbo

Posted here: http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/foru...-2010-a-65810/

You CX-7 guys need to get out of your section more
 Old 12-15-2010, 01:05 PM   #10

Not Ranked  0 score     

Dropped my 7 off at the dealer Monday morning. End of the day I went in and they said it would be another day. Couldn't get the guy to tell me what they'd actually done.

Last night went in and the guy says it's more complicated than they thought, so another day, but by 1:30 at the latest it'll be done.

I just got back after going to dealer during my lunch break (on my skateboard; I'm lucky to work, live and have a car dealership all within 2 miles) and they say the tech who was assigned to it has only done one before and wanted his supervisor to be there making sure he didn't fuck up. Supervisor is in today and they're going to hopefully get it done.
 Old 12-16-2010, 02:17 PM   #11

Not Ranked  0 score     

Last night they called me and said the techs are going to work late to hopefully get it done, but probably wouldn't finish until today. Went over today and it was there idling in the garage, guy came out and said it was ready to go. She sat there idling for a few minutes while I signed the receipt and wasn't smoking, so seems fixed. Hopefully no probs. Took 3 1/2 days but if it works I guess I can't complain.

Turbo fixed, issue resolved. Still love my car.
 Old 12-28-2010, 09:28 AM   #12

yetti96 will become famous soon enough
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

So what did they "fix"? Was it the heavier weight oil, new PCV system, or new turbo?
yetti96 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 12-28-2010, 10:32 AM   #13

Not Ranked  0 score     

Replaced the turbo
 Old 12-28-2010, 11:09 AM   #14

bertrand_CX_7 is the leader of the worldbertrand_CX_7 is the leader of the worldbertrand_CX_7 is the leader of the worldbertrand_CX_7 is the leader of the worldbertrand_CX_7 is the leader of the worldbertrand_CX_7 is the leader of the worldbertrand_CX_7 is the leader of the worldbertrand_CX_7 is the leader of the worldbertrand_CX_7 is the leader of the worldbertrand_CX_7 is the leader of the worldbertrand_CX_7 is the leader of the world
Groans: 52
Groaned at 145 Times in 38 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Probably you still have heavier oil they dumped in before the turbo swap.

Once you switch back to regular oil, just pay attention to the smoke just to validate on the work.

It may be also wrong on the procedure.

BTW: Next time you take your car there, ask for the master to work on your car. If they don't want to , just take your car somewhere else.

Very typical here in the US. dealerships use cheap + non experimented workforce working on such complex cars but they are charging the highest rate you can possibly charge.

This is robbery at the limit
2010 MazdaSpeed3 Velocity Red: Forge BPV V2, CP-e [HPFP, TMIC, Driver + passenger Mount, 75-A], CorkSport [RSB, Coilover, camber plate], SPC rear camber arm, JBR SSP stg2 + heavy knob, Cobb [ SRI, AP ], HTP 3.5" TIP, - STG2 PERM tuned by DJ, Ultimate Racing TBE (Metal core DP). Aeroforce dual guages, Hankook R-S3 on stock wheels, Sparco Evo2 race seat. ARP long wheel studs -- 17x9 ET 45+ Kosei K1 TS on 255/40/17 on Dunlop Direzza ZII.

Pending install: JB EGR block plate

Next mod:CorkSport[ Front + Rear swaybar endlinks ], OCC, brake upgrade (CorkSport or BBK), 6 point Harness.

2007 CX-7 GT AWD: CPE CAI, ETS 3" TMIC, JB EGR block plate ,Matt's OCC, AutoExec Strut tower bar, AutoExec lower arm bar, Nittos 420 tires, 12" JBL subwoofer with Bose system.

Last edited by bertrand_CX_7; 12-28-2010 at 11:30 AM.
bertrand_CX_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 12-29-2010, 09:55 AM   #15

Not Ranked  0 score     

Going to pick ours up today and they said they could not replicate the problem but there was a hint of smoke, not more than usual for a car of this type? Then given the line of well there is no oil change sticker and I have no records. I bought it there 11k miles ago, did a change on it 6k miles ago on my own and now it smokes (25k miles). The oil level was good was "it was nasty" well no shit a turboed car will turn any oil black in just a few miles, that is no judge of how old or good or bad oil is, it just means the oil is working at catching crap. So I said, give it an oil change ($32 and change) and we will pick it up in a few hours.

Advice? I only noticed it smoke once after I changed the tires it sat an idled for maybe 5-10 minutes and smoked pretty good under acceleration for about a mile. I just know I have read about this issue so I figured nip it sooner rather than later.
 Old 12-29-2010, 10:30 PM   #16

bertrand_CX_7 is the leader of the worldbertrand_CX_7 is the leader of the worldbertrand_CX_7 is the leader of the worldbertrand_CX_7 is the leader of the worldbertrand_CX_7 is the leader of the worldbertrand_CX_7 is the leader of the worldbertrand_CX_7 is the leader of the worldbertrand_CX_7 is the leader of the worldbertrand_CX_7 is the leader of the worldbertrand_CX_7 is the leader of the worldbertrand_CX_7 is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Make some video of the somoking car and make sure the license plate is readable on the video.

Next time you go to Mazda they can save some time. They won't need to replicae the issue. Just give them both, the car and the video.

If nothing happen, take the care like twice in, may be like twice in 2 weeks and complain about the same smoking issue. Plus you have videos to document the smoking each time. This should help a little bit moving their fat ass.
2010 MazdaSpeed3 Velocity Red: Forge BPV V2, CP-e [HPFP, TMIC, Driver + passenger Mount, 75-A], CorkSport [RSB, Coilover, camber plate], SPC rear camber arm, JBR SSP stg2 + heavy knob, Cobb [ SRI, AP ], HTP 3.5" TIP, - STG2 PERM tuned by DJ, Ultimate Racing TBE (Metal core DP). Aeroforce dual guages, Hankook R-S3 on stock wheels, Sparco Evo2 race seat. ARP long wheel studs -- 17x9 ET 45+ Kosei K1 TS on 255/40/17 on Dunlop Direzza ZII.

Next mod:CorkSport[ Front + Rear swaybar endlinks ], OCC, brake upgrade (CorkSport or BBK), 6 point Harness.

2007 CX-7 GT AWD: CPE CAI, ETS 3" TMIC, JB EGR block plate ,Matt's OCC, AutoExec Strut tower bar, AutoExec lower arm bar, Nittos 420 tires, 12" JBL subwoofer with Bose system.
 Old 12-30-2010, 06:19 AM   #17

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by bertrand_CX_7 View Post
Make some video of the somoking car and make sure the license plate is readable on the video.

Next time you go to Mazda they can save some time. They won't need to replicae the issue. Just give them both, the car and the video.

If nothing happen, take the care like twice in, may be like twice in 2 weeks and complain about the same smoking issue. Plus you have videos to document the smoking each time. This should help a little bit moving their fat ass.
I asked and they said it had to replicated there at the dealership. They said it idled for an hour (TSB says 10 minutes), but never did they say they reved it up to 3k RPMs for 1 minute as per the TSB.

Then as I drove off I noticed the sticker was for 5w20 and the invoice was 5w30 so I called and asked and after 10 minutes on hold the tech said he put in 5w30 and I was told to disregard the sticker.

While I argued about the condition of the oil and I said it had about 6k miles on it and was still well under the 7500 as per the manual they then told me those were not real work conditions and they don't exist here in FL so they scheduled an appointment for 4 months/4k miles for the next oil change. I know they are trying to make a buck but for the same snotty bitch to piss me off a couple of times is getting me a little heated. So if I can replicate it again on video and they wont do anything about it I will go to another dealership. I just wish you could go somewhere and be treated with respect and the assumption you have common knowledge. /rant over
 Old 12-30-2010, 06:36 AM   #18
6 mods and some Kool-Aid

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

I ran into the issue too. Tech said no smoke. I showed the management the video of my CX-7 smoking and they took off the turbo for inspection. Of course, I also went back to the idling car and the fucking thing was smoking. Tech was passing it off as "steam", because it was cold out. I flipped out, and demanded to have their master tech work on my car, not the oil change guy. When they did take off the turbo, they ordered a new pone once they saw it was spewing oil everywhere. New turbo and O2 sensor is what I got. Just this weekend though, it idled for 30 minutes and started smoking a little. Has 76K miles, turbo swapped at 48K. The problem is NOT the turbo, but the PCV system. Ours was replaced when the dealer thought the turbo seals were shit, but shortly after, the smoking turbo tsb was out. I need to put the oil catch can on to collect the crap, bottom line. That is the only true fix, I think.

In your case, where the tech put 5-20 on the sticker, I would report it to Mazda USA as a complaint. That dealer seems to be shit. Take it elsewhere right now. It might be worth getting the oil analyzed as well. If it turns out to be 5-20, you have a legal case if the engine suffers a failure down the road, as much as them blaming you for the engine failing because you cannot find on oil change receipt.
 Old 12-30-2010, 07:30 AM   #19

Not Ranked  0 score     

I thought about complaining. I also got a free rag out of the deal. The tech left his nasty rag in the car, hanging off of the seat near the seatbelt on the drivers side.
 Old 12-30-2010, 07:38 AM   #20
6 mods and some Kool-Aid

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

You are way too low key. Greasy rag in my car would have resulted in a death. the GM dealer had the tech smoking while working on my truck's seat frames on one of the 17 times it was in the shop for defective seats, and it reeked when I picked it up. Went apeshit, took it back. Manager tried to deny it, as the dude was smoking in the shop right behind him. GM happened to be walking through, saw the monkey smoking, and ended up paying for my truck to get detailed because I had busted him.
 Old 12-30-2010, 08:59 AM   #21

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by yetti96 View Post
Then as I drove off I noticed the sticker was for 5w20 and the invoice was 5w30 so I called and asked and after 10 minutes on hold the tech said he put in 5w30 and I was told to disregard the sticker.
Holy shit,

Bastards dealership. They did it to you as well. Men don't let them fuck up your car. They did really put 5W20 in there. No BS like it's just the sticker. Make sure to have them change it ASAP and don't take your car there any more for oil change.

Dealerships don't care any how.

So you're warned. Next time do it your self and document the wrong oil with pictures and worst case if take a sample of the oil and have it analyze and keep it for your records. You can hold them on their nuts with that report.

Generally, I think the dealership just find a new way to make more money. Right now in commercials, you hear: "We'll pay for your oil change as long as you own the car". BS, BS, BS and just BS.

Try to get synthetic oil, they'll charge you 40 to 60 bucks. But if you go to a local car shop like autozone, sams clubs, you can buy 6 gallons Mobile 1 synthetic for $32. So you ended up paying for free oil change at the dealership, as long as you own your car. But you'll end up never using it or they'll just never put oil into your car because, either you brought your own oil in or you paid up front for oil they'll never had to put into your car. Who is the dumb here?

They'll charge you up front for that oil change, will get the money up front and then put cheaper oil in your car. Best case they'll not have to put any oil at all.

Good luck for the next customers buying those used cars in the future: Mega rip off.

Last edited by bertrand_CX_7; 12-30-2010 at 11:40 AM.
 Old 12-30-2010, 09:23 AM   #22

BillsFan is the leader of the worldBillsFan is the leader of the worldBillsFan is the leader of the worldBillsFan is the leader of the worldBillsFan is the leader of the worldBillsFan is the leader of the worldBillsFan is the leader of the worldBillsFan is the leader of the worldBillsFan is the leader of the worldBillsFan is the leader of the worldBillsFan is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,117 Times in 135 Posts
Groans: 3
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by yetti96 View Post
I thought about complaining. I also got a free rag out of the deal. The tech left his nasty rag in the car, hanging off of the seat near the seatbelt on the drivers side.
Unacceptable - you're way too positive about this.
BillsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 12-30-2010, 10:04 AM   #23

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by BillsFan View Post
Unacceptable - you're way too positive about this.
Good to hear, well maybe I will get a little more heated about this. I am not normally a quick to get mad person and have almost no middle ground...I let people walk all over me, then if slighted I will burn that mother down (figuratively of course ). Time to try to ring up Mazda USA.

It's not that I am lazy and won't change it myself, I have and will but they are already hinting at the whole, lack of records thing as far as me changing the oil myself. I am very cautious already.

EDIT: Complaint with Mazda USA made and documented, being sent to the dealership and we will see what they followup with. I suspect a call soon to try to smooth things over...agreed?

Last edited by yetti96; 12-30-2010 at 10:15 AM.
 Old 12-30-2010, 11:19 AM   #24

ottoblotto has a reputation beyond reputeottoblotto has a reputation beyond reputeottoblotto has a reputation beyond reputeottoblotto has a reputation beyond reputeottoblotto has a reputation beyond reputeottoblotto has a reputation beyond reputeottoblotto has a reputation beyond reputeottoblotto has a reputation beyond reputeottoblotto has a reputation beyond reputeottoblotto has a reputation beyond reputeottoblotto has a reputation beyond repute
Not Ranked  0 score     

yetti, give me your man card now.

ottoblotto is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 12-30-2010, 11:29 AM   #25

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by ottoblotto View Post
yetti, give me your man card now.
It's in the mail...you still in Germany? It will take a while to get there
 Old 12-30-2010, 11:34 AM   #26

ottoblotto has a reputation beyond reputeottoblotto has a reputation beyond reputeottoblotto has a reputation beyond reputeottoblotto has a reputation beyond reputeottoblotto has a reputation beyond reputeottoblotto has a reputation beyond reputeottoblotto has a reputation beyond reputeottoblotto has a reputation beyond reputeottoblotto has a reputation beyond reputeottoblotto has a reputation beyond reputeottoblotto has a reputation beyond repute
Not Ranked  0 score     

lol! just fix that shit yo!

ottoblotto is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/forum/f518/cx-7-smoking-turbo-tsb-65889/
Posted By For Type Date
2012 Mazda CX-7 AWD 4dr GS - Autofocus.ca This thread Refback 12-10-2015 01:56 PM
2011 Mazda CX-7 - Autofocus.ca This thread Refback 06-08-2015 10:30 AM
Car Talk - CX-7 with a rebuilt engine, good idea? This thread Refback 02-21-2011 07:48 AM