register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
CX7FORUMS.ORG - 2007+ Mazda CX-7 Forums
> CX-7 > Issues & Troubleshooting

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 10-29-2017, 05:42 AM   #1

liamfm is an unknown quantity at this point
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default Long crank when warm, not hot.

Hi all,

2010 CX-7 2.3 T with about 96K on it. Around 65K it developed a hard start when warm (not hot, not cold, but after sitting for 20-60 min). Never threw a CEL, and the problem eventually just went away. Fast forward and we've been having the same problem since about 85K. It is basically a long crank 4-5 sec, when warm. This morning it did it cold as well (42*F). Once started it will restart fine, unless you let it sit for 20-60 min, then you get a long crank again.

No CEL at all, took to local mechanic and no codes lurking. Plugs have been replaced, but nothing else yet.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? I've read about sticking EGR valves, dirty throttle plates, etc.

The only thing I've noticed is that when doing a long crank I get the evap/gascap light on on the dash. It goes off as soon as the car fires, but the orange light stays on while cranking. I'm not sure that it comes on when the car starts properly, though that could just be that it starts so quickly.

I don't want to just throw parts at it, but I'm lost as to where to start.

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
liamfm is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 10-29-2017, 09:44 AM   #2

SaveMelMac is the leader of the worldSaveMelMac is the leader of the worldSaveMelMac is the leader of the worldSaveMelMac is the leader of the worldSaveMelMac is the leader of the worldSaveMelMac is the leader of the worldSaveMelMac is the leader of the worldSaveMelMac is the leader of the worldSaveMelMac is the leader of the worldSaveMelMac is the leader of the worldSaveMelMac is the leader of the world
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Is it a slow crank? By long crank you mean the engine just turns over a few more times before it starts up?
SaveMelMac is online now   Reply With Quote
 Old 10-29-2017, 09:49 AM   #3

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Fast crank, plenty of battery power, just longer time

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 Old 10-29-2017, 06:05 PM   #4

Bob-o is the leader of the worldBob-o is the leader of the worldBob-o is the leader of the worldBob-o is the leader of the worldBob-o is the leader of the worldBob-o is the leader of the worldBob-o is the leader of the worldBob-o is the leader of the worldBob-o is the leader of the worldBob-o is the leader of the worldBob-o is the leader of the world
Groans: 3
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

My 09 speed 3 does that too
 Old 10-29-2017, 06:36 PM   #5

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Bob-o View Post
My 09 speed 3 does that too
I took the egr out today, soaked it in purple power, followed by hot water to flush it. It didn't seem stuck, but it was carboned up a bit. So far, the engine seems quieter, and starts instantly. Time will tell. Total project time, 2 hrs and 8 oz of purple power. On my Dodge with a Cummins, this is a 67.5k service. Same basic setup, but gas vs diesel. Maybe Mazda should have considered it a 70k service item.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

« Long Crank, no CEL | - »