register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
CX7FORUMS.ORG - 2007+ Mazda CX-7 Forums
> CX-7 > Issues & Troubleshooting

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 06-15-2016, 10:07 PM   #1

brooklyncx7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default major jerking

Iv recently had the timing chain and vvt repair on my 2007 mazda cx7. 2 days later I started experiencing intense jerking when driving. The car would jerk as if its not getting enough gas or something. The jerking is intense, you could really feel it. This would happen for about 10 miles each time and then something would happen and it would run completely fine. The CEL is on and the code is p2187. (System too lean at idle) I went to the repair shop and we had the computer reflashed because I had the timing chain fix. However post reflash the problem remained. Has anyone experienced this? Mechanic is pretty confused as well at this point. We did a smoke test 2 times everything was fine. Can it be pcv valve? MAF? or fuel pump? Any input appreciated
brooklyncx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 06-15-2016, 10:19 PM   #2

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Iv read through the forum and the people that have been getting the p2187 dont seem to report the jerking issue Im talking about. Unless if thats what rough idle means?
 Old 06-15-2016, 10:23 PM   #3

SpeedRebirth is the leader of the worldSpeedRebirth is the leader of the worldSpeedRebirth is the leader of the worldSpeedRebirth is the leader of the worldSpeedRebirth is the leader of the worldSpeedRebirth is the leader of the worldSpeedRebirth is the leader of the worldSpeedRebirth is the leader of the worldSpeedRebirth is the leader of the worldSpeedRebirth is the leader of the worldSpeedRebirth is the leader of the world
Groans: 33
Groaned at 22 Times in 11 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Like this?

CP-E Atmosphere Kit GTX3076 Tial 0.82AR / EWG / 3,25" MAF / Catless DP
Simons 3" Catback CP-E Diff Mount HDI FMIC HTP Battery Relocation
Corksport: Rear Brace Bar - Front Strut Bar - Stubby Antenna - Interior + Underhood LED Kit
JBR: TMM+PMM+RMM - Short Shift Kit /w Bushings - TIG Throttle - Coolant Bypass - EGR Delete - JBR OCC Stage 2
Whiteline Rear Swaybar SPC Camber Joints Turbosmart BPV Autotech Internals SURE Juggernaught Stratified Guardian Angel & Boost Dial NGK IX @ 0.025
Bosch 3 bar MAP w/ PNP Harness Block8Head Dual Gauge Pod Defi Racer Boost & Oil Pressure & Oil Temp
Techna-Fit Clutch Line + Brake Lines ATE Super Blue Racing ProSport Oil Filter Adapter Mazda Spin-On Conversion + NPT/BSPT adapter

Not installed yet: SP63 longblock, FreekTune 4" Intake, JBR TIG IM, DM Meth Spacer

290 AWHP / K04
370 AWHP / GTX3076 @ 23 psi

Last edited by MS3Shadow; 06-16-2016 at 06:12 AM. Reason: removed the s for the video to embed
SpeedRebirth is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 06-16-2016, 07:50 AM   #4

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by SpeedRebirth View Post

Oh yes very similar! It would do that and then after a couple of miles something would change and would drive fine. Did you end up figuring out what the problem was?
 Old 06-16-2016, 08:08 AM   #5

SpeedRebirth is the leader of the worldSpeedRebirth is the leader of the worldSpeedRebirth is the leader of the worldSpeedRebirth is the leader of the worldSpeedRebirth is the leader of the worldSpeedRebirth is the leader of the worldSpeedRebirth is the leader of the worldSpeedRebirth is the leader of the worldSpeedRebirth is the leader of the worldSpeedRebirth is the leader of the worldSpeedRebirth is the leader of the world
Groans: 33
Groaned at 22 Times in 11 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Tried to tune it out but nothing changed. I heard some say it could be a bad O2 sensor. It always happens between 1500-2400 rpm when barely accelerating, so sitting in traffic slowly going forward is a pita because it will buck suddenly which may look like I'm a terrible driver lol. Some day I'll swap out the sensor and see if anything changes

CP-E Atmosphere Kit GTX3076 Tial 0.82AR / EWG / 3,25" MAF / Catless DP
Simons 3" Catback CP-E Diff Mount HDI FMIC HTP Battery Relocation
Corksport: Rear Brace Bar - Front Strut Bar - Stubby Antenna - Interior + Underhood LED Kit
JBR: TMM+PMM+RMM - Short Shift Kit /w Bushings - TIG Throttle - Coolant Bypass - EGR Delete - JBR OCC Stage 2
Whiteline Rear Swaybar SPC Camber Joints Turbosmart BPV Autotech Internals SURE Juggernaught Stratified Guardian Angel & Boost Dial NGK IX @ 0.025
Bosch 3 bar MAP w/ PNP Harness Block8Head Dual Gauge Pod Defi Racer Boost & Oil Pressure & Oil Temp
Techna-Fit Clutch Line + Brake Lines ATE Super Blue Racing ProSport Oil Filter Adapter Mazda Spin-On Conversion + NPT/BSPT adapter

Not installed yet: SP63 longblock, FreekTune 4" Intake, JBR TIG IM, DM Meth Spacer

290 AWHP / K04
370 AWHP / GTX3076 @ 23 psi
SpeedRebirth is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 06-16-2016, 08:12 AM   #6
COCKSTRONG

SofaKingAwesome is the leader of the worldSofaKingAwesome is the leader of the worldSofaKingAwesome is the leader of the worldSofaKingAwesome is the leader of the worldSofaKingAwesome is the leader of the worldSofaKingAwesome is the leader of the worldSofaKingAwesome is the leader of the worldSofaKingAwesome is the leader of the worldSofaKingAwesome is the leader of the worldSofaKingAwesome is the leader of the worldSofaKingAwesome is the leader of the world
Thanked 17,770 Times in 4,954 Posts
Groans: 890
Groaned at 278 Times in 160 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

EVERY "I DON'T USE MSF" FACEBOOK RETARD EVER
SofaKingAwesome is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SofaKingAwesome For This Useful Post:
WetzMS3 (06-16-2016)
 Old 06-16-2016, 08:18 AM   #7

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Tried to tune it out but nothing changed. I heard some say it could be a bad O2 sensor. It always happens between 1500-2400 rpm when barely accelerating, so sitting in traffic slowly going forward is a pita because it will buck suddenly which may look like I'm a terrible driver lol. Some day I'll swap out the sensor and see if anything changes
No check engine light?
 Old 06-16-2016, 08:18 AM   #8
Police - Grammarhead

Vansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the world
Thanked 6,869 Times in 2,695 Posts
Groans: 1,839
Groaned at 45 Times in 26 Posts

Originally Posted by brooklyncx7 View Post
Iv recently had the timing chain and vvt repair on my 2007 mazda cx7. 2 days later I started experiencing intense jerking when driving. The car would jerk as if its not getting enough gas or something. The jerking is intense, you could really feel it. This would happen for about 10 miles each time and then something would happen and it would run completely fine. The CEL is on and the code is p2187. (System too lean at idle) I went to the repair shop and we had the computer reflashed because I had the timing chain fix. However post reflash the problem remained. Has anyone experienced this? Mechanic is pretty confused as well at this point. We did a smoke test 2 times everything was fine. Can it be pcv valve? MAF? or fuel pump? Any input appreciated
Check your plugs. I've had similar symptoms when I had a fouled plug.

Vansquish is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 06-16-2016, 08:20 AM   #9

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Vansquish View Post
Check your plugs. I've had similar symptoms when I had a fouled plug.
Did you have a check engine light with code p2187?
 Old 06-16-2016, 08:28 AM   #10
Police - Grammarhead

Vansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the world

Nope. If you're getting a too lean at idle code, you've got a vacuum leak. Check your purge valve.

Old 06-16-2016, 08:39 AM   #11

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Vansquish View Post
Nope. If you're getting a too lean at idle code, you've got a vacuum leak. Check your purge valve.
Thanks I'll take a look! I did 2 smoke tests but everything was fine though. Can a purge valve problem be revealed through a smoke test? I'm sorry I'm a noob this is my first ever car!
 Old 06-16-2016, 08:56 AM   #12
Police - Grammarhead

No. You'll have to pull the valve off and see if it is broken. There are a bunch of threads on here about this problem. Use the search tool in my signature to find them.

The Following User Says Thank You to Vansquish For This Useful Post:
SofaKingAwesome (06-16-2016)
 Old 06-16-2016, 09:40 AM   #13

MikeBavaro has a brilliant futureMikeBavaro has a brilliant futureMikeBavaro has a brilliant futureMikeBavaro has a brilliant futureMikeBavaro has a brilliant futureMikeBavaro has a brilliant futureMikeBavaro has a brilliant futureMikeBavaro has a brilliant futureMikeBavaro has a brilliant futureMikeBavaro has a brilliant futureMikeBavaro has a brilliant future
Groans: 1
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Primary o2 sensor, It took forever for me to pinpoint it, next time it starts spitting stand on it for a second or so to blow out the extra fuel. it bucks because the primary o2 sensor says its lean AF and dumps extra fuel in. eventually it will throw a code for a bad 02 sensor but that may take a few months.
CS Short Throw-Whiteline Bushings-CS Rear Bar
1968 Mustang
Built 289 w/ factory heads
Built C4
Bulit 8" posi
Runs low 14's at 100 flat
MikeBavaro is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 06-16-2016, 10:06 AM   #14

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by MikeBavaro View Post
Primary o2 sensor, It took forever for me to pinpoint it, next time it starts spitting stand on it for a second or so to blow out the extra fuel. it bucks because the primary o2 sensor says its lean AF and dumps extra fuel in. eventually it will throw a code for a bad 02 sensor but that may take a few months.
Can a bad 02 sensor throw a P2187 code? And is there a way to make sure it is the 02 sensor?
 Old 06-16-2016, 10:29 AM   #15

MikeBavaro has a brilliant futureMikeBavaro has a brilliant futureMikeBavaro has a brilliant futureMikeBavaro has a brilliant futureMikeBavaro has a brilliant futureMikeBavaro has a brilliant futureMikeBavaro has a brilliant futureMikeBavaro has a brilliant futureMikeBavaro has a brilliant futureMikeBavaro has a brilliant futureMikeBavaro has a brilliant future
Not Ranked  0 score     

You can disconnect the primary o2 and take it for a rip and if the condition goes away, its bad. I never did this test on my speed 3 so I cannot speak from personal experience on how easy/ it is. My car eventually threw p2187 as well as bank 1 sensor 2 too rich, but that was after chasing it for 2 months.
1968 Mustang
Built C4
Bulit 8" posi
 Old 06-16-2016, 11:33 AM   #16

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

After the car warms up like after 5-10 miles the condition goes away and everything works completely fine except CEL is on. So everything is capable of working well.
 Old 06-16-2016, 11:35 AM   #17

Not Ranked  0 score     

Mine only did it in 6th on the highway doing about 65-75, usually on throttle tip in like when going up a hill
1968 Mustang
Built C4
Bulit 8" posi
 Old 06-16-2016, 11:48 AM   #18

PolishMs3 is just really nicePolishMs3 is just really nicePolishMs3 is just really nicePolishMs3 is just really nice
Groans: 5
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

After the car warms up like after 5-10 miles the condition goes away and everything works completely fine except CEL is on. So everything is capable of working well.
I'm having the exact same issue, I switched to an e30 tune a few months back so I was thinking it could be my hpfp but it's clean! I get the jerkiness right after shifting into second and 3rd gear with very light throttle but only during the first 10-15 mins of starting the car, after I drive for a little while it goes back to normal. I don't have a CEL coming on though.
PolishMs3 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 06-19-2016, 08:56 AM   #19

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

I'm going to my mechanic tomorrow. But is there a reason most people don't think it's a bad fuel pump?
 Old 06-19-2016, 09:10 AM   #20

PolishMs3 is just really nicePolishMs3 is just really nicePolishMs3 is just really nicePolishMs3 is just really nice
Groans: 5
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

I'm going to my mechanic tomorrow. But is there a reason most people don't think it's a bad fuel pump?
I'm not sure but I was way wrong on my last post. After trying to start the car again my fuel pressure was around 200 and the car was not wanting to run correctly. I think my issues are due to a dirty spill valve. I'll be cleaning it this weekend and I'll post back if that was the issue
PolishMs3 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 06-23-2016, 10:43 AM   #21

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Here is a video of my issue. The jerking is much more relevant in person than it seems in the video.

Last edited by MS3Shadow; 06-23-2016 at 11:05 AM.