register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
CX7FORUMS.ORG - 2007+ Mazda CX-7 Forums
> CX-7 > Issues & Troubleshooting

Notices

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 12-30-2010, 01:30 PM   #1

MachZ has a spectacular aura aboutMachZ has a spectacular aura about
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default O2 Sensor Issue

Well, my CX-7 continues to disappoint me. Check engine light came on the other day and my scanner wouldn't pull the codes (cheap HF type scanner). Had been noticing the exhaust had a strange smell to it (smelled lean to me) and I had to go out of town for Christmas so took the CX-7. Noticed the fuel economy was even worse than normal. I get 20 to 21 if I'm lucky and managed 15.7 this time and am now noticing a different exhaust smell, definitely running quite rich now.

Got the code scanned and it turned out it was 5 codes. I can't remember all of the code numbers off hand but the code descriptions were along these lines:
- Running lean off idle Bank 1, Sensor 1
- Running lean on idle Bank 1, Sensor 1
- Running lean post cat
- Running rich post cat
P2195 - O2 sensor stuck at lean Bank 1 Sensor 1 (was able to find this code)

Have any of you guys had an O2 sensor issue yet? Called the dealership to see if they could get it in today and if it would be covered at 55,2xx miles (thinking it would be under the so called "powertrain warranty") but they said it wouldn't be covered, naturally. I asked them how much the O2 sensor would cost and he thought it would be around $400 with parts and labor so I just hung up. Looking around, I seem to only be finding the sensors in the $200 to $400 range to begin with so he was probably on the low side.

I know O2 sensors are wear items but not this fast. This is ridiculous. I'm sure its due to how rich the CX-7 runs to begin with but at the same time I've not seen any other reports on the forum of O2 sensors going out already which really has me suspect of a defective part. Also, there's not a single performance mod on my CX-7. Any thoughts?

Wish my CX-7 would just catch fire or something so I could be gone of it.

Last edited by MachZ; 03-21-2011 at 02:42 PM.
MachZ is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 03-09-2011, 06:59 AM   #2

ndpitch is an unknown quantity at this point
Not Ranked  0 score     

Hey. I'm brand new here. I had to sign up to be a member because I just had to reply to your thread! This exact scenario just occurred to my girlfriend's 2008 CX-7. It has about 47,000 miles on it. The check engine light came on, and she took it to one of the dealers in our area. They pulled the codes you listed, and said the O2 sensor needed to be replaced. I was skeptical.

Just like you said, the total came to 420 bucks. I shopped around on the internet and was finding some similar prices elsewhere. She went ahead with the repair, even though it was aggravating to see her spend that much money on a sensor in the exhaust. The tech said they last about 50,000 miles, which I thought he may have made up on the spot to make us feel better.

Anyway, they said her engine was overcompensating because the sensor was stuck on lean, so she was burning more gas than needed. I noticed this driving the car around, it seemed to be drinking gas.

What's interesting is that I also noticed that the exhaust smelled a bit weird. What made me notice this, is that at Christmas I had a remote starter installed for her. As a result, her car would sometimes idle for 10-15 minutes before she got in it to drive away. One day, she remote started it, and let it idle to warm up. We went out to the car to drive away and the thing was smoking like WOAH. There was white smoke spewing out the back and making it hard to see, haha. So that's when I noticed the exhaust smelled weird, and did some research.

I actually came across the PCV issue, detailed in the following thread.

CX-7 Smoking Turbo TSB

I have to look to see if her car is one of the affected models.

Question: Do you think the smoke from the PCV issue could be causing the O2 sensors to fail early?
ndpitch is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 03-09-2011, 07:05 AM   #3

edwhayes is a name known to alledwhayes is a name known to alledwhayes is a name known to alledwhayes is a name known to alledwhayes is a name known to alledwhayes is a name known to all
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

What year and how many miles. O7 had a TSb on hight pressure fuel pump causing a lean fuel mix.
edwhayes is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 03-09-2011, 10:01 AM   #4

ndpitch is an unknown quantity at this point
Not Ranked  0 score     

my GF's CX-7 is a 2008, with 47k miles.
ndpitch is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 03-21-2011, 07:29 AM   #5

mikomi is a splendid one to beholdmikomi is a splendid one to beholdmikomi is a splendid one to beholdmikomi is a splendid one to beholdmikomi is a splendid one to beholdmikomi is a splendid one to beholdmikomi is a splendid one to beholdmikomi is a splendid one to behold
Groans: 1
Not Ranked  0 score     

What octane gas are you using?
 Old 03-21-2011, 02:36 PM   #6

MachZ has a spectacular aura aboutMachZ has a spectacular aura about
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by ndpitch View Post
Hey. I'm brand new here. I had to sign up to be a member because I just had to reply to your thread! This exact scenario just occurred to my girlfriend's 2008 CX-7. It has about 47,000 miles on it. The check engine light came on, and she took it to one of the dealers in our area. They pulled the codes you listed, and said the O2 sensor needed to be replaced. I was skeptical.

Just like you said, the total came to 420 bucks. I shopped around on the internet and was finding some similar prices elsewhere. She went ahead with the repair, even though it was aggravating to see her spend that much money on a sensor in the exhaust. The tech said they last about 50,000 miles, which I thought he may have made up on the spot to make us feel better.

Anyway, they said her engine was overcompensating because the sensor was stuck on lean, so she was burning more gas than needed. I noticed this driving the car around, it seemed to be drinking gas.

What's interesting is that I also noticed that the exhaust smelled a bit weird. What made me notice this, is that at Christmas I had a remote starter installed for her. As a result, her car would sometimes idle for 10-15 minutes before she got in it to drive away. One day, she remote started it, and let it idle to warm up. We went out to the car to drive away and the thing was smoking like WOAH. There was white smoke spewing out the back and making it hard to see, haha. So that's when I noticed the exhaust smelled weird, and did some research.

I actually came across the PCV issue, detailed in the following thread.

CX-7 Smoking Turbo TSB

I have to look to see if her car is one of the affected models.

Question: Do you think the smoke from the PCV issue could be causing the O2 sensors to fail early?
I ended up replacing mine. OnlineMazdaParts.com had it for $101.61 shipped to me in Kansas. I couldn't pass up on that price since Mazda wouldn't cover powertrain issues under their powertrain warranty.

Here's a TSB on the O2 Sensors though that might explain what is going on: http://www.finishlineperformance.com...16-08-1879.pdf
1995 Geo Metro - like it better than the CX-7. Currently doesn't run. Has better A/C than the CX-7 (no joke... well, when the car is running that is).
1991 Infiniti Q45 - has one of Nissan's greatest engines ever... the VH45DE. Love it!
1991 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo - its actually the wife's car
1985 Chevy Blazer 4x4 - 225,000+ miles, 1/2 inch of sludge buildup on the internals, still runs and gets me around in bad weather
MachZ is offline   Reply With Quote