register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
CX7FORUMS.ORG - 2007+ Mazda CX-7 Forums
> CX-7 > Issues & Troubleshooting

Notices

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!
Like Tree1Likes

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 07-30-2011, 02:35 PM   #1
Fear The Banhammer!

Raider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the world
Thanked 45,536 Times in 11,525 Posts
Groans: 723
Groaned at 151 Times in 127 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default Our 2007 CX7 vvt actuator has shit the bed

Well, 10,000 miles ago (and under extended warranty) we heard a slight rattle at startup. Now it's sol and getting worse. Taking it in Monday for the $1200 vvt actuator and timing chain replacement. Will feel a lot better to get it done. First major letdown for the Road Warrior. 84,000 miles of faithful service, not bad. Bummer about the chain. Glad I am getting warning signs,not just a fail. Happy this forum has enough threads to inform me of the issue and troubleshooting. Will be throwing $10 towards the forum once I can.

So Duval Mazda in Jacksonville, suck my balls. I told you so, assholes.

So knock/rattle at startup, timing chain/vvt actuator. $1200 at the dealer. Free under warranty.

I'll get the old parts back for pics, chain measurement. I will finish with the prerequisite FML that everyone with a fail posts with.

1) Looking to Buy a used Mazdaspeed? Read this!
2) New member? Read this before posting (UPDATED 10/2012!!) as well as the welcome PM and email. Details are here.
3) Wanna buy and sell here? DONATE for VIP
4) For Sale Section Rules UPDATED 9-17-2014! Please read before posting, especially if you have less than 150 posts!
5) Help MSF grow with FAQ threads!?
Raider is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Raider For This Useful Post:
Tomas (07-30-2013)
 Old 07-30-2011, 02:40 PM   #2

NCZ13 is the leader of the worldNCZ13 is the leader of the worldNCZ13 is the leader of the worldNCZ13 is the leader of the worldNCZ13 is the leader of the worldNCZ13 is the leader of the worldNCZ13 is the leader of the worldNCZ13 is the leader of the worldNCZ13 is the leader of the worldNCZ13 is the leader of the worldNCZ13 is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,184 Times in 526 Posts
Groans: 23
Groaned at 44 Times in 32 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Just make sure to the adviser before hand to notate it on the RO that you want the parts back, that way the tech will see it on his copy.

Its not warranty, so they should have no qualms about giving back your parts.

2008 Cosmic Blue Mazdaspeed3
1986 Mazda RX7
2002.5 Sunlightsilver Protege5 (sold 12/26/09)

Hey you should read this: http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/foru...ler-you-58361/
NCZ13 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 07-30-2011, 04:27 PM   #3
Fear The Banhammer!

Raider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the world
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Oh, I'll make sure I get the parts.

2) New member? Read this before posting (UPDATED 10/2012!!) as well as the welcome PM and email. Details are here.
4) For Sale Section Rules UPDATED 9-17-2014! Please read before posting, especially if you have less than 150 posts!
 Old 08-02-2011, 04:01 PM   #4
Fear The Banhammer!

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Dealer confirmed is VVT, and I should have it tomorrow. They called me "lucky" to have made it there...

Old 08-02-2011, 05:16 PM   #5

bzwyatt is the leader of the worldbzwyatt is the leader of the worldbzwyatt is the leader of the worldbzwyatt is the leader of the worldbzwyatt is the leader of the worldbzwyatt is the leader of the worldbzwyatt is the leader of the worldbzwyatt is the leader of the worldbzwyatt is the leader of the worldbzwyatt is the leader of the worldbzwyatt is the leader of the world
Groans: 10
Groaned at 35 Times in 14 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Hope it gets fixed quick, nice extended warranty, subbing for pix
bzwyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 08-02-2011, 06:02 PM   #6
Fear The Banhammer!

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Sadly, thanks to the inept techs at Duval Mazda last year, their troubleshooting consisted of starting it a few times. Now, there is a tsb that dictates they pop off the valve cover and inspect the fucking vvt, LIKE I TOLD THEM TO DO!

Here we are now, out of warranty and roughly $1200 out of pocket.

With so many CX7's having this issue, if you have an 07, take it in and have it inspected. Or get the tsb and inspect for yourself. Shockingly I found the tsb on the old cx7 forum.

I will be emailing Mazda about it. Obviously I expect nada from them. But the fact it's been happening for a year is pretty scary, now I know it was bad. I had thought the chain was loose a few months ago. Well, hope to get it tomorrow. Wonder if anyone knows the length of a good chain, to see if mine was stretched.

Old 08-02-2011, 06:34 PM   #7

bzwyatt is the leader of the worldbzwyatt is the leader of the worldbzwyatt is the leader of the worldbzwyatt is the leader of the worldbzwyatt is the leader of the worldbzwyatt is the leader of the worldbzwyatt is the leader of the worldbzwyatt is the leader of the worldbzwyatt is the leader of the worldbzwyatt is the leader of the worldbzwyatt is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Shit sorry man, thought you meant it was under extended when you said 'free under warranty'. That sucks man, bummer. And total bullshit they didn't do a legitimate inspection and catch it.
 Old 08-02-2011, 06:42 PM   #8

laxplayermjd is the leader of the worldlaxplayermjd is the leader of the worldlaxplayermjd is the leader of the worldlaxplayermjd is the leader of the worldlaxplayermjd is the leader of the worldlaxplayermjd is the leader of the worldlaxplayermjd is the leader of the worldlaxplayermjd is the leader of the worldlaxplayermjd is the leader of the worldlaxplayermjd is the leader of the worldlaxplayermjd is the leader of the world
Groans: 20
Groaned at 24 Times in 5 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

i dont understand why i keep reading about mazda techs being super fail. They only get paid for doing work. Times are slow in the automotive field. Im a bmw tech, id replace anything with a legit complaint relating to a known issue.

Tech should have done, ok ill order the parts and just say he heard the noise.

Sucks that your out of warranty now. This happens more than you think.
 Old 08-02-2011, 06:51 PM   #9
Fear The Banhammer!

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

All depends on the dealer. The one we like is 2 hours away. Inexperience and apathy are a huge problem, just sucks. I am just glad my cx7 has not had alternators on fire, seat track failures, brake failures, driveshaft failures, handle fails, etc. Again, 84,000 miles and the problem is common.

Old 08-02-2011, 07:09 PM   #10

meeker13 is the leader of the worldmeeker13 is the leader of the worldmeeker13 is the leader of the worldmeeker13 is the leader of the worldmeeker13 is the leader of the worldmeeker13 is the leader of the worldmeeker13 is the leader of the worldmeeker13 is the leader of the worldmeeker13 is the leader of the worldmeeker13 is the leader of the worldmeeker13 is the leader of the world
Groans: 0
Groaned at 4 Times in 3 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Good luck, i've had mine replaced twice and only have 39k on my speed 6. If you can make them replace all the timing componets...chain, guide, vvt, ect. Seems all that shit goes to shit at the same time!
 Old 08-02-2011, 07:13 PM   #11
Fear The Banhammer!

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Yup, they are replacing everything, told me they want to do everything in there since it's a pain in the ass.

Old 08-03-2011, 11:36 AM   #12

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by laxplayermjd View Post
..Tech should have done, ok ill order the parts and just say he heard the noise.
Originally Posted by Raider View Post
All depends on the dealer...
Yeah totally. When my local got a new owner, they changed for the better. Before, they were idiots who said the turbo'd engine in my car couldn't take synthetic oil, supposedly according to their best tech who'd just been to Mazda training.
When I went back for the AC and turbo smoking, they had replaced a bunch of guys and they did what you said - just ordered the parts and replaced 'em. I don't think they did a lot of diagnosing, just listened to me about the symptoms and changed it.
 Old 08-03-2011, 07:40 PM   #13
Fear The Banhammer!

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Car is done. Holy shit, it's quiet. Wow, huge difference. Have the parts, and will be messing with it at lunch Friday. Will measure chain, and post pics of VVT and stuff

Really a small bag of parts. $400 for parts, $800 labor. Ouch.

This is not a weekend mechanic job, IMO.

Old 08-03-2011, 10:01 PM   #14

Not Ranked  0 score     

Glad it got fixed man. Where was the noise mostly coming from?
 Old 08-04-2011, 03:09 AM   #15
Fear The Banhammer!

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Thinking the noise is the vvt. I could be wrong, I don't know too much about it. Chain might have been hitting the cover.

Old 08-06-2011, 01:37 AM   #16

KostasCX-7 has a reputation beyond reputeKostasCX-7 has a reputation beyond reputeKostasCX-7 has a reputation beyond reputeKostasCX-7 has a reputation beyond reputeKostasCX-7 has a reputation beyond reputeKostasCX-7 has a reputation beyond reputeKostasCX-7 has a reputation beyond reputeKostasCX-7 has a reputation beyond reputeKostasCX-7 has a reputation beyond reputeKostasCX-7 has a reputation beyond reputeKostasCX-7 has a reputation beyond repute
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

A fellow send me an official fix from Mazda Germany for vvt issue.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf vvt fix.pdf (41.6 KB, 107 views)
 Old 08-06-2011, 09:06 PM   #17

tddvrrn is the leader of the worldtddvrrn is the leader of the worldtddvrrn is the leader of the worldtddvrrn is the leader of the worldtddvrrn is the leader of the worldtddvrrn is the leader of the worldtddvrrn is the leader of the worldtddvrrn is the leader of the worldtddvrrn is the leader of the worldtddvrrn is the leader of the worldtddvrrn is the leader of the world
Thanked 3,090 Times in 1,180 Posts
Groans: 103
Groaned at 86 Times in 55 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

^ ja! aber das ist auf deutsche aschloche!
2008 ms3 mit: hypertech tune, pg sri, corksport tip, jbr(80 tmm, 88 rmm, 80 pmm), jbarone bushings + heavy shift knob, diy sts, sure ssp, sensen shocks, jbr rsb, ford transfluid, aura 5 channel amp, jbl gt speakers, 6" bazooka sub, diy mudflaps, DDM 3000k HID fog kit, 6000k lows
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
tddvrrn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tddvrrn For This Useful Post:
Tomas (08-16-2011)
 Old 08-15-2011, 08:11 AM   #18
Fear The Banhammer!

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

SO now we have a few hundred miles after the change. The VVT looked OK to me, but the result after replacement is wild. Went from 20 MPG city to 22 average (based on 2 fillups) with nothing major changing in the driving routing. Just city driving. Also. it is quiet. VERY quiet. It is weird, really. Probably has been bad for a year. We have been lucky , I think.

Old 08-15-2011, 09:55 AM   #19

Not Ranked  0 score     

Wow, remarkable change.

I asked earlier in the thread about the noise, meaning where in the engine was the noise coming from, like is there a specific spot it was noisy? Sometimes I imagine I hear rattling when I start my car, so I'm wondering what your symptoms were like, before you got the repair.
 Old 08-15-2011, 10:08 AM   #20
Fear The Banhammer!

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

It will be a distinct, loud rattle. Like a marble in a metal cup. Take it in, and they just need to inspect the VVT according to the TSB. Pretty easy for them to do it.

nack nack nack is the sound we heard, and it was like a stuck valve almost. Chain was noticeably loose when I popped the oil filler and reached in a finger.

Old 08-15-2011, 10:16 AM   #21
Fear The Banhammer!

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

It is quick 3-5 seconds, max, and is gone.

Old 08-15-2011, 06:18 PM   #22

Not Ranked  0 score     

So besides the brevity of it, it isn't really something you can miss then right? And you can feel the difference in how smooth it runs? My car is probably ok I'm thinking... still smooth and quiet...
 Old 08-15-2011, 06:46 PM   #23
Fear The Banhammer!

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

You will know for sure. Stereo off, startup, and listen. It's loud.

The Following User Says Thank You to Raider For This Useful Post:
bzwyatt (08-15-2011)
 Old 08-15-2011, 11:20 PM   #24

Not Ranked  0 score     

Cool, thanks man
 Old 08-16-2011, 12:13 PM   #25

Alpha Wolf is the leader of the worldAlpha Wolf is the leader of the worldAlpha Wolf is the leader of the worldAlpha Wolf is the leader of the worldAlpha Wolf is the leader of the worldAlpha Wolf is the leader of the worldAlpha Wolf is the leader of the worldAlpha Wolf is the leader of the worldAlpha Wolf is the leader of the worldAlpha Wolf is the leader of the worldAlpha Wolf is the leader of the world
Groans: 6
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

Pictures of the bad parts??

Alpha Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 08-16-2011, 12:15 PM   #26
Fear The Banhammer!

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

they look like any other part, so I did not take any. I will try to snap some tonight. I did not see any damage, so I am not sure if I got everything...

Old 08-16-2011, 12:16 PM   #27

Alpha Wolf is the leader of the worldAlpha Wolf is the leader of the worldAlpha Wolf is the leader of the worldAlpha Wolf is the leader of the worldAlpha Wolf is the leader of the worldAlpha Wolf is the leader of the worldAlpha Wolf is the leader of the worldAlpha Wolf is the leader of the worldAlpha Wolf is the leader of the worldAlpha Wolf is the leader of the worldAlpha Wolf is the leader of the world
Groans: 6
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

Timing chains are no big deal to replace. You just need to know where the marks are on each gear and where they must be pointing to get it timed right.

Getting the sprockets off and on, on some cars is a pain if the engine is in the car. Some just unbolt.. Others require a gear puller and getting one in there can be a bitch... Some require you to heat the new sprockets up in your oven to allow them to fit onto the key'd shaft.

Bugs have meshed gears so you NEVER have any issues!!!

Can someone get the instructions and torque specs to do this job? This would be a good thing to know how to do for $400 vs. $1200..
I have yet to find a shop manual for our cars.

Alpha Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 08-16-2011, 12:27 PM   #28
Fear The Banhammer!

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Oh, i have read the threads here from those who have done it. It is a big deal. Tight spaces, and lots to do to get it all apart.

Old 08-16-2011, 01:05 PM   #29

Tokay444 is the leader of the worldTokay444 is the leader of the worldTokay444 is the leader of the worldTokay444 is the leader of the worldTokay444 is the leader of the worldTokay444 is the leader of the worldTokay444 is the leader of the worldTokay444 is the leader of the worldTokay444 is the leader of the worldTokay444 is the leader of the worldTokay444 is the leader of the world
Thanked 24,801 Times in 7,373 Posts
Groans: 695
Groaned at 459 Times in 289 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Alpha Wolf View Post
Timing chains are no big deal to replace. You just need to know where the marks are on each gear and where they must be pointing to get it timed right.

Getting the sprockets off and on, on some cars is a pain if the engine is in the car. Some just unbolt.. Others require a gear puller and getting one in there can be a bitch... Some require you to heat the new sprockets up in your oven to allow them to fit onto the key'd shaft.

Bugs have meshed gears so you NEVER have any issues!!!

Can someone get the instructions and torque specs to do this job? This would be a good thing to know how to do for $400 vs. $1200..
I have yet to find a shop manual for our cars.
You've obviously never timed a disi.
There are no keys, and no marks.
GG.

Shop manual in VIP.

Inb4 85% silicone core. It's better than aluminum.
What's you buddy's ex wife trap?
I <3 SP63
Fuck JBR
Demodded.

Last edited by Tokay444; 08-16-2011 at 01:05 PM. Reason: MSF Database - Automerged Doublepost
Tokay444 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 02-24-2013, 02:33 PM   #30

kristylynn is just really nicekristylynn is just really nicekristylynn is just really nicekristylynn is just really nice
Not Ranked  0 score     

Just came across this thread about the vvt and timing chain. We just purchased our CX-7 2007 used and my husband thinks we may be having problems with it already. The engine revs high on start up and seems to quiet back down almost immediately. Was this any indication of your parts going bad? Seems this is a common problem with these cars and just wondering if I can get some input... Thanks!
kristylynn is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 02-24-2013, 02:54 PM   #31

Not Ranked  0 score     

Revs aren't an indicator, but a lot of noise is. If it is cold it is totally normal for it to rev high, maybe 2,500 rpm, for a minute. Do you have records of maintenance done? How many mikes on it?
 Old 02-24-2013, 02:55 PM   #32
Fear The Banhammer!

(Thread Starter)
Neutral  +1 score     

Check the first link in my sig for a video of the VVT...
remtec76 likes this.

Old 02-24-2013, 03:03 PM   #33

kristylynn is just really nicekristylynn is just really nicekristylynn is just really nicekristylynn is just really nice
Not Ranked  0 score     

We bought it at 47,000 and just hit 50,450. It seems to drive fine but after the high rev at start it tends to lurch forward a bit when put into gear. Ive never driven a car with a turbo before and so im not that familiar with any of this...
 Old 02-24-2013, 03:10 PM   #34
Fear The Banhammer!

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Normal, just let it come off high idle before driving.

Might be worth the $100 to have the dealer update the engine and transmission control units to the latest software though, as there are mpg to be had.

Lots of updates since 2007z

Old 02-24-2013, 03:18 PM   #35

Not Ranked  0 score     

Thats what Ive been hearing. Just wanted to get some input from others who have actually dealt with this car before. I see you are from Jax. I live about an hour and a half away from there (south-west) and was wondering if you had a dealership or mechanic in the area that you had a good experience with that you would recommend. I feel as though Ive been screwed over by our used car dealer (from Deland) and am in the search for someone new.
The Following User Says Thank You to kristylynn For This Useful Post:
aviator79 (04-02-2014)
 Old 02-24-2013, 03:31 PM   #36
Fear The Banhammer!

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Classic Mazda of Orlando is who I would go to. Treats us great. @MazdaMovement; is Heath, and he sells cars there. Over off of I-4 and 436/Semorin.

If you want to rod trip to Jacksonville, Mazda City of Orange Park is great.

Old 02-24-2013, 03:32 PM   #37

Not Ranked  0 score     

OK, so just checked out your video of the VVT and that is the EXACT sound ours is making. If the timing chain goes out, with it being a 4 cylinder, are the valves recessed enough to not get bent? Will it mess up the entire engine or will you be able to drive on it to a shop at least. How long did yours make the noise before you had it replaced? Pardon all the questions but I'm trying to get an idea of how long I have to get the money up to have these repairs done. We just started hearing it less than a week ago. This is the LAST used car Im buying...
The Following User Says Thank You to kristylynn For This Useful Post:
aviator79 (04-02-2014)
 Old 02-24-2013, 03:38 PM   #38
Fear The Banhammer!

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

/Yeah, bad things can happen.

Spend $25 for VIP access, and score Mazda OEM Parts from a member here to replace the timing chain and VVT Actuator for about $300 (saving $100 there), then you can take it up to Mazda City for about $600 to get the stuff replaced. Just need to talk to Greg to get the special. It gives us locals a deal. Not sure if Classic can offer a special if you bring in the parts.

Old 02-24-2013, 03:48 PM   #39

Not Ranked  0 score     

It doesn't fit in the warranty extension Mazda made for the vvt?
 Old 02-24-2013, 03:51 PM   #40
Fear The Banhammer!

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by bzwyatt View Post
It doesn't fit in the warranty extension Mazda made for the vvt?
Valid point. I thought she put 50K on it.

Under 70,000 miles and before 84 months of purchase (PM me your VIN or post it, i will find out when it was bought. I have skills.) and it is covered. Classic Mazda is where I would go.