register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
CX7FORUMS.ORG - 2007+ Mazda CX-7 Forums
> CX-7 > Issues & Troubleshooting

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By kawaxi

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 02-12-2011, 08:21 AM   #1

NoSuchSol will become famous soon enoughNoSuchSol will become famous soon enough
Groans: 0
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default Stuttering after Gas Fillup

Hey Folks,

Was a mcx7 member before whatever that was happened. Glad at least a couple posts showed where everyone went.

Anyhow, every now and then when filling up on gas the car will stutter and occasionally shut off. If I restart and blip the gas a couple times it'll be alright and drive normally for a while. A friend of mine thought that it might be water in the tank so I've run a couple bottles of HEET to attempt that. I've also used Seafoam for fuel injector cleaner.

I'm wondering if this might not be a water problem, but indicative of something else.

Thanks,
Drew
NoSuchSol is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NoSuchSol For This Useful Post:
mikomi (02-26-2011), Monotonous ONE (02-12-2011)
 Old 02-12-2011, 08:43 AM   #2

08.5MS3 is the leader of the world08.5MS3 is the leader of the world08.5MS3 is the leader of the world08.5MS3 is the leader of the world08.5MS3 is the leader of the world08.5MS3 is the leader of the world08.5MS3 is the leader of the world08.5MS3 is the leader of the world08.5MS3 is the leader of the world08.5MS3 is the leader of the world08.5MS3 is the leader of the world
Thanked 3,395 Times in 1,633 Posts
Groans: 89
Groaned at 40 Times in 29 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

My roommate had the same problem on his Dakota. He left the hood open for a few hours to let things dry and no problems since.

I first thought water as well. Dumb question but, are you using the right octane? Winter blends usually suck (I don't know why). That may be a problem. Try going to another station, on that is "top tier."

All else fails. Dealer visit
08.5MS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 02-12-2011, 08:53 AM   #3
The Angry Goose

Hectik1 is the leader of the worldHectik1 is the leader of the worldHectik1 is the leader of the worldHectik1 is the leader of the worldHectik1 is the leader of the worldHectik1 is the leader of the worldHectik1 is the leader of the worldHectik1 is the leader of the worldHectik1 is the leader of the worldHectik1 is the leader of the worldHectik1 is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,051 Times in 583 Posts
Groans: 14
Groaned at 9 Times in 6 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

What brand of gas? It does matter.

I've seen many problems with stuttering with the cheaper gas (on other cars).

2014 Mazda 3

2008 Mazdaspeed3-SOLD

1979 Mazda Rx7
Hectik1 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 02-12-2011, 10:41 AM   #4
6 mods and some Kool-Aid

Raider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the world
Thanked 57,009 Times in 14,590 Posts
Groans: 856
Groaned at 183 Times in 156 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Glad you found us! I ave heard of this before. You running 91+ octane? Arco or bargain gas can cause issues, too. Also, take a look at the MAF and see if it is dirty.

Just did a google. The purge valve was the culprit. Replaced and the user never posted again about it.

Last edited by Raider; 02-12-2011 at 10:41 AM. Reason: MSF Database - Automerged Doublepost
Raider is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Raider For This Useful Post:
Monotonous ONE (02-12-2011)
 Old 02-12-2011, 10:41 AM   #5

Monotonous ONE is the leader of the worldMonotonous ONE is the leader of the worldMonotonous ONE is the leader of the worldMonotonous ONE is the leader of the worldMonotonous ONE is the leader of the worldMonotonous ONE is the leader of the worldMonotonous ONE is the leader of the worldMonotonous ONE is the leader of the worldMonotonous ONE is the leader of the worldMonotonous ONE is the leader of the worldMonotonous ONE is the leader of the world
Thanked 9,066 Times in 2,314 Posts
Groans: 819
Groaned at 86 Times in 66 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

+1 on dirty maf...go to autozone or some shit and get some maf cleaner for that whore

and get good gas...7 eleven is not good gas

glad to see you make it from mcx7...this place is so much better
 Old 02-12-2011, 01:35 PM   #6

edwhayes is a name known to alledwhayes is a name known to alledwhayes is a name known to alledwhayes is a name known to alledwhayes is a name known to alledwhayes is a name known to all
Not Ranked  0 score     

If you insist on filling the tank by clicking the pump several times then you can overload the charcoal canister. When that happens the excess fumes from the gas saturated canister will cause an over rich mixture and it can take a minutes or more to clear. Continue to do this and you will need to replace the canister.
edwhayes is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 02-12-2011, 02:59 PM   #7
ILL3ST

xcoldricex is the leader of the worldxcoldricex is the leader of the worldxcoldricex is the leader of the worldxcoldricex is the leader of the worldxcoldricex is the leader of the worldxcoldricex is the leader of the worldxcoldricex is the leader of the worldxcoldricex is the leader of the worldxcoldricex is the leader of the worldxcoldricex is the leader of the worldxcoldricex is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,291 Times in 592 Posts
Groans: 105
Groaned at 30 Times in 22 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

YouTube - gsrtype1 - Gotta Get That Ghes

Last edited by xcoldricex; 02-12-2011 at 11:02 PM.
xcoldricex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to xcoldricex For This Useful Post:
rebelgirl289 (05-20-2011)
 Old 02-12-2011, 04:24 PM   #8

NoSuchSol will become famous soon enoughNoSuchSol will become famous soon enough
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Thanks for the responses - I'll take a look at the MAF and look into the purge valve as well. I'm going to eventually do a CAI, but just running stock ATM.

Gas wise - everything in California is pretty bad, but we usually fill up at Costco. Perhaps that's part of the problem. We just got back from a Texas trip and didn't notice the problem when we were running 93. =)

Ed, I stop when it clicks the first time, but that doesn't mean the original owner did not. I've had the car for almost 30k miles now...lol, and almost 10k of that's been travelling from California to Texas for a few trips.
 Old 02-12-2011, 11:01 PM   #9
ILL3ST

xcoldricex is the leader of the worldxcoldricex is the leader of the worldxcoldricex is the leader of the worldxcoldricex is the leader of the worldxcoldricex is the leader of the worldxcoldricex is the leader of the worldxcoldricex is the leader of the worldxcoldricex is the leader of the worldxcoldricex is the leader of the worldxcoldricex is the leader of the worldxcoldricex is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

this is a problem many people have. i have it, gsrtype1 had it... it's not the gas.
 Old 02-13-2011, 06:34 AM   #10
6 mods and some Kool-Aid

Raider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Check the purge valve? Fixed one cx7 owner.
xcoldricex (02-13-2011)
 Old 02-13-2011, 06:57 AM   #11
ILL3ST

Not Ranked  0 score     

could be, manual says not to remove unless replacing because it may cause a evap leakage - but that might be where i'm getting that fuel smell from since i modified it to work with my IM.
 Old 02-14-2011, 05:02 PM   #12

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Anyone have a picture of where it's located? I'm not finding any substantial information online about installation of a purge valve. I wouldn't mind seeing if it's something I can handle versus taking it to a mechanic.
 Old 02-14-2011, 05:12 PM   #13
6 mods and some Kool-Aid

Not Ranked  0 score     

You an have access to the complete manual for speed3. Donate $$ t the forum and get vip access!
 Old 02-16-2011, 04:17 PM   #14

bscar is the leader of the worldbscar is the leader of the worldbscar is the leader of the worldbscar is the leader of the worldbscar is the leader of the worldbscar is the leader of the worldbscar is the leader of the worldbscar is the leader of the worldbscar is the leader of the worldbscar is the leader of the worldbscar is the leader of the world
Groans: 46
Groaned at 11 Times in 11 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

$10 for VIP compared to, what, $150, for the actual manual?
bscar is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 02-23-2011, 09:18 PM   #15

speedyfamilyguy has a spectacular aura aboutspeedyfamilyguy has a spectacular aura about
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I learned the hard way on my Corolla by overfilling a couple times, did the same exact thing mentioned. It was the purge valve.
speedyfamilyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 02-24-2011, 08:16 PM   #16

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Would it cause an engine light to come on? That just started today. *sigh*
 Old 02-24-2011, 08:38 PM   #17

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Also, know where i can buy a purge valve for the CX7? I don't want to pay Mazda to do it since it appears easy enough... Famous last words.. lol.
 Old 02-24-2011, 11:55 PM   #18
ILL3ST

Not Ranked  0 score     

you can buy one from a dealer...

also, what's the CEL? you might have an evap leak somewhere.
 Old 02-25-2011, 03:14 AM   #19

edwhayes is a name known to alledwhayes is a name known to alledwhayes is a name known to alledwhayes is a name known to alledwhayes is a name known to alledwhayes is a name known to all
Not Ranked  0 score     

Why don't you fill in the information as to what year & model of your Mazda. There are TSBs on early models on the gas fill pipe being too short and other issues. Your problem does however, sound like a gas filled charcoal canister or purge valve.
 Old 02-25-2011, 08:35 AM   #20

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Ed, must have missed where in usercp I can add my car info. It is an early model - 2007 cx7.

Sounds like I'm forced to head over to the dealership to at least see where things are coming from. I just have a hard time paying the money for something that sounds easy enough to do.
 Old 02-25-2011, 08:42 AM   #21
6 mods and some Kool-Aid

Not Ranked  0 score     

Advance Auto has free CEL check. Dealer is $100 to read it alone. P2187 is the CEL code you are probably getting.

p0455 + p2187 = bad purge valve?
 Old 02-25-2011, 10:06 AM   #22

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Thanks, I'll see if we have one close and check it out.

I also found the part and location, but based of the mazdaspeed 6. Can I expect it to be the item?

Car Part Wholesale - Auto Parts and Accessories Catalog - Dorman Purge Valve For 2007 Mazda 6
 Old 02-25-2011, 10:20 AM   #23
6 mods and some Kool-Aid

Not Ranked  0 score     

Dude. Donate to the forum and have full access to the shop manuals in VIP.

onlinemazdaparts.com is who I recommend. Excellent experiences, and quick shipping.
 Old 02-25-2011, 11:23 AM   #24

BillsFan is the leader of the worldBillsFan is the leader of the worldBillsFan is the leader of the worldBillsFan is the leader of the worldBillsFan is the leader of the worldBillsFan is the leader of the worldBillsFan is the leader of the worldBillsFan is the leader of the worldBillsFan is the leader of the worldBillsFan is the leader of the worldBillsFan is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,117 Times in 135 Posts
Groans: 3
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Raider View Post
Dude. Donate to the forum and have full access to the shop manuals in VIP.
+1

Originally Posted by Raider View Post
onlinemazdaparts.com is who I recommend. Excellent experiences, and quick shipping.
+1
BillsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 02-26-2011, 08:49 AM   #25

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Had one of those "duh" moments yesterday. The idle has been touchy after the last ecu reset during an oil change and transmission flush. I figured that the ecu figured most of it out even though it acted sketchy once in a while. Now with the gas it makes sense. I don't know why I didn't tie the two together.

In the meantime, I reset the ecu and will order the part tomorrow. The reset helped with the gas smell and we'll see about the stutter while the computer is reworking itself.

4 VIP mentions.
 Old 03-13-2011, 05:57 PM   #26

speedyfamilyguy has a spectacular aura aboutspeedyfamilyguy has a spectacular aura about
Not Ranked  0 score     

Did it work out ok? The issue I had w/my corolla was the low idle, gas smell, engine cutting out, and even stalling, and yeah, definately a check engine light. It's amazing that a simple little purge valve can be such a picklesmooch. Unfortunately those things are dealer only parts and not cheap.
speedyfamilyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 03-13-2011, 06:20 PM   #27

Not Ranked  0 score     

I certanly would not order a purge valve until you know what the problem is or did I miss something?
 Old 03-13-2011, 06:26 PM   #28
Banned

phillyb is the leader of the worldphillyb is the leader of the worldphillyb is the leader of the worldphillyb is the leader of the worldphillyb is the leader of the worldphillyb is the leader of the worldphillyb is the leader of the worldphillyb is the leader of the worldphillyb is the leader of the worldphillyb is the leader of the worldphillyb is the leader of the world
Thanked 18,751 Times in 5,169 Posts
Groans: 1,940
Groaned at 886 Times in 632 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

phillyb is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 05-16-2011, 02:15 PM   #29

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Still waiting for another check engine light - I haven't had one in ages, but I also haven't had many stuttering problems. I went ahead and ordered the part. Installed today. We'll see how it goes on the next fill up or two. If it happens to be the canister from the previous owner and not the purge then I'm out a small amount compared to replacing the canister and being out more.

I'm going to take it in for a different problem. What I thought was a rattling intercooler shield/duct is something else. Perhaps they can see what's up during a different service.
 Old 05-19-2011, 03:53 PM   #30

Alpha Wolf is the leader of the worldAlpha Wolf is the leader of the worldAlpha Wolf is the leader of the worldAlpha Wolf is the leader of the worldAlpha Wolf is the leader of the worldAlpha Wolf is the leader of the worldAlpha Wolf is the leader of the worldAlpha Wolf is the leader of the worldAlpha Wolf is the leader of the worldAlpha Wolf is the leader of the worldAlpha Wolf is the leader of the world
Groans: 6
Not Ranked  0 score     

Intercooler duct is plastic. You should take it off (two clips in front/pull forward and up) and check to see if the TMIC screen is loose or something simple.
Stupid to take it to a dealer when it may be something you could just tighten up and not loose your car for a day and spend $$$$

Alpha Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 05-19-2011, 04:40 PM   #31
ILL3ST

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by phillyb View Post
already posted that.
 Old 05-20-2011, 06:27 PM   #32

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Alpha Wolf View Post
Intercooler duct is plastic. You should take it off (two clips in front/pull forward and up) and check to see if the TMIC screen is loose or something simple.
Stupid to take it to a dealer when it may be something you could just tighten up and not loose your car for a day and spend $$$$
I certainly thought that the plastic cover was the problem so I tried taping it off to isolate better and that didn't make much of a difference. I didn't check the metal cover underneath. I can update in a different thread but the details:

1. Rarely, accelerating through a right hand turn from speed(not stopped) I heard a rattling noise that sounded like it was coming from behind but couldn't see anything weird.

2. Lately, I was able to replicate the noise two times in a row by pressing down on the gas 3/4 at around 40 miles an hour. The car doesn't downshift and makes the rattling noise that appears to be from the front left somewhere. I've tried a couple times since then to replicate and can't figure it out. *sigh*

At some point I'm going to be taking apart the intake to install a CAI but until then it's rare but annoying. Handles fine and seems to accelerate fine. *shrug*
 Old 03-19-2012, 10:11 PM   #33

breakfstincluded is the leader of the worldbreakfstincluded is the leader of the worldbreakfstincluded is the leader of the worldbreakfstincluded is the leader of the worldbreakfstincluded is the leader of the worldbreakfstincluded is the leader of the worldbreakfstincluded is the leader of the worldbreakfstincluded is the leader of the worldbreakfstincluded is the leader of the worldbreakfstincluded is the leader of the worldbreakfstincluded is the leader of the world
Thanked 4,247 Times in 1,482 Posts
Groans: 261
Groaned at 20 Times in 20 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Same problem:

Started when a lady attendent pumped more than usual on my car to fill up, it wasn't cooperating with her at first or something (This is Oregon)

Started car, stuttered and would die if I didn't turn it off.

Fuel trims started heading for the hills at +25 STFT.

Tried uninstalling AP in effort to get CEL to show dealer for warranty work.

Oh shit, CPO Warranty doesent cover such an emissions item as PVS.

Saw links here for part for 15 at Rock Auto.

Waiting on part to come.

In mean time Stage 1 SRI Safe mode, feels much more safe with higher idle than having the lower stock idle on top of the crazy lean AFR.

Hoping installation will be just be literally plugnplay.

breakfstincluded is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 01-06-2015, 07:43 AM   #34

kawaxi has a spectacular aura aboutkawaxi has a spectacular aura about
Not Ranked  0 score     

IM sorry to bring this post back to live but I did not want to create a new one....

This is my experience and your help will be appreciated....

4 months ago I got the cel code P2402.... the truck felt weird like slow so I did change the fuel filter and clean the throttle body and was better....

after 2 months meaning like two months ago... whenever I Fuel the tank the truck will start stuttering.... and sometimes to shutdown...sometimes the only way to start the truck will be to blip the gas.... this will stop after a coulple minutes...

I took to a scan... and it looks PCV valve is working since at iddle is showing 0% but if you speed up it would show a different reading... I also tried with a new gas cap with no success.....

some plp thinks is the purge solenoid....

What do you think?
kawaxi is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 01-06-2015, 08:23 AM   #35
6 mods and some Kool-Aid

Not Ranked  0 score     

IIRC, this is a fuel filler neck issue possibly, and there is a known TSB. Needs to be replaced.
 Old 01-06-2015, 02:07 PM   #36

Not Ranked  0 score     

I was only able to find this two.... :

MAZDA: DETERMINING EVAPORATIVE SYSTEM LEAK LOCATION FOR DTCS P0441, P0442, P0455, P0455. SOME VEHICLES MAY HAVE A MIL ILLUMINATION WITH DTCS STORED IN MEMORY. *PE UPDATED 4/18/11. *PE

and

IT IS POSSIBLE THAT A MALFUNCTION INDICATOR LIGHT MAY ILLUMINATE WITH DTC P0455 (EVAP SYSTEM LEAK DETECTED LARGE LEAK) STORED IN MEMORY, DUE TO POOR SEALING BETWEEN THE FUEL FILLER PIPE AND FUEL FILLER CAP. *PE

My code is a different one... P2402
 Old 01-27-2015, 09:58 AM   #37

Not Ranked  0 score     

Stalling problem after fueling has been solved after installing a new purge valve....

I will monitor if code p2402 appear again... I hope not!
Raider likes this.
 Old 01-27-2015, 04:11 PM   #38
6 mods and some Kool-Aid

Not Ranked  0 score     

Thanks for posting the resolution for the next guy!
ASHMS3 (01-27-2015)
 Old 02-25-2015, 08:07 AM   #39

Not Ranked  0 score     

P2402 code stop appearing after I replace the EVAP pump.....

regards