register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3 MZR Gen2 Forums (2010-2013)
> 2010 MS3 - Big Turbo Builds

2010 MS3 - Big Turbo Builds Genpu - Big Turbo Builds. All discussions about big turbos, hybrids and builds belong here.

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 09-16-2012, 09:40 AM   #1

akbrazil has a reputation beyond reputeakbrazil has a reputation beyond reputeakbrazil has a reputation beyond reputeakbrazil has a reputation beyond reputeakbrazil has a reputation beyond reputeakbrazil has a reputation beyond reputeakbrazil has a reputation beyond reputeakbrazil has a reputation beyond reputeakbrazil has a reputation beyond reputeakbrazil has a reputation beyond reputeakbrazil has a reputation beyond repute
Groans: 5
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default BNR STAGE 3 TURBO

Hey Everyone!! I'm a bit late but wanted to share the news, due to a bad (VERY BAD) turbo seal I was forced to upgraded to a BNR stage 3 turbo. When I mean "VERY BAD" I mean it was so bad that as I drove home cars around me would call out "your car is on fire" LoL - and leaving a dark cloud of smoke behind me that blinded everyone. A missing bolt on the downpipe (which I didn't realized till I got under the car) didn't help as it made smoke come out through the hood. At first I though the downpipe cracked as I had a problem with UR downpipe in the pass where it cracked on the weld. Later I find that I had a bolt missing and the rest of the bolts where loose.

Anyway....with the help of @dantes5823 who gave me the idea and honestly made the best sense...if you think about it with a new turbo from mazda - that would run you about 1K and buying a used one could just fail sooner then later paying up now for something better was the better choice. For those of you who have done turbo installs, its not an easy task and I can just imagine what a shop would charge. Doing it twice wouldn't be a smart move.

This all happen right before labor day weekend. My wife was very disappointed since the MS3 is our only car and we had plans for the holiday weekend. With only a week to get the car back in running condition. I call bryan up at BNR Supercars LLC and with one turbo in stock he had it shipped out asap and I got it in record time. Two of my buddies offer to help with the install and with @dantes5823 on the phone giving me pointers the removal and install of the new turbo went very well. Took two nights (about 4 hours a night) to complete.

Once fired up, it still smoked for a bit...(a good two days), im guessing all the crap in the exhaust. I even got a CEL light from the o2, which after a good drive it eventually turned off. With a safe map flashed in, you could feel that the BNR flows way better then the ko4. Power felt stong all the way to redline, and pulling thought-out the rpm range. With some turning issues in the beginning I feel that the car will end up as a beast once dantes5823 is done with the tuning. We are starting over and very excited to see the end result.

Note...
For those of you who are debating on a turbo upgrade, think of it this way.
- if you still have warrantee and the turbo seal is on it way, (unless you got the money) just get the dealer to do it.
- if you don't have warrantee then a stock used K04 can be found on ebay, forums for sale section, I even found one on cragslist for roughly $250 to $500. But if you think about it with all the failing turbos going on, do you really think a used turbo would be a smart move even with the long install time.
- Just bit the bullet and buy something better (and bigger). There are a few options out there and I think all will be better then going back to a factory turbo.
MODS: BNR STAGE 3 Turbo - CP-E Turbo Inlet - CP-E Cold Air Intake - Forge BPV - Street Unit Silicone Inlet & Outlet Hoses - UR Catted Down Pipe - UR Test Pipe - ETS Top Mount Intercooler - COBB AP (WOT-Tune) - KMD Internals - Grimmspeed EBC - HAWK HPS Front Pads - JB dog bone rear mount - NGK (1 step colder plugs) - DDM HID (Headlights & Fogs)

Last edited by akbrazil; 09-16-2012 at 09:56 AM.
akbrazil is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to akbrazil For This Useful Post:
bazzarino (11-29-2012), dantes5823 (09-16-2012), Dmurray06 (09-16-2012), SarcasticOne (09-16-2012)
 Old 09-16-2012, 09:53 AM   #2

Ryguy is the leader of the worldRyguy is the leader of the worldRyguy is the leader of the worldRyguy is the leader of the worldRyguy is the leader of the worldRyguy is the leader of the worldRyguy is the leader of the worldRyguy is the leader of the worldRyguy is the leader of the worldRyguy is the leader of the worldRyguy is the leader of the world
Groans: 9
Groaned at 5 Times in 3 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Cool story
Seriously tho glad it worked out, any pics from the install?
Ryguy is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 09-16-2012, 09:54 AM   #3

Dmurray06 is the leader of the worldDmurray06 is the leader of the worldDmurray06 is the leader of the worldDmurray06 is the leader of the worldDmurray06 is the leader of the worldDmurray06 is the leader of the worldDmurray06 is the leader of the worldDmurray06 is the leader of the worldDmurray06 is the leader of the worldDmurray06 is the leader of the worldDmurray06 is the leader of the world
Thanked 4,338 Times in 1,621 Posts
Groans: 189
Groaned at 64 Times in 21 Posts
Neutral  +1 score     

Lol at "forced to upgrade" I bet thats what you told you wife.

Dmurray06 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 09-16-2012, 09:56 AM   #4

helmetface is the leader of the worldhelmetface is the leader of the worldhelmetface is the leader of the worldhelmetface is the leader of the worldhelmetface is the leader of the worldhelmetface is the leader of the worldhelmetface is the leader of the worldhelmetface is the leader of the worldhelmetface is the leader of the worldhelmetface is the leader of the worldhelmetface is the leader of the world
Thanked 8,524 Times in 3,186 Posts
Groans: 219
Groaned at 70 Times in 52 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Excuse me sir, but this is the BIG turbo section.

Glad it worked out for you O.P.

@Haltech - we need a "medium turbo build" section...it's only fair.
 Old 09-16-2012, 10:02 AM   #5

akbrazil has a reputation beyond reputeakbrazil has a reputation beyond reputeakbrazil has a reputation beyond reputeakbrazil has a reputation beyond reputeakbrazil has a reputation beyond reputeakbrazil has a reputation beyond reputeakbrazil has a reputation beyond reputeakbrazil has a reputation beyond reputeakbrazil has a reputation beyond reputeakbrazil has a reputation beyond reputeakbrazil has a reputation beyond repute
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Dmurray06 View Post
Lol at "forced to upgrade" I bet thats what you told you wife.
Shhhhh.....we can't let her find out LoL
I had to also tell her about the 3 port EBC and possibly needing a 3 bar MAP sensor as the car won't work right. LoL

Originally Posted by helmetface View Post

Thanks man.

Sorry about making the thread on the BT section, I just figured since I saw a few others BNR threads that I was in the right place.
MODS: BNR STAGE 3 Turbo - CP-E Turbo Inlet - CP-E Cold Air Intake - Forge BPV - Street Unit Silicone Inlet & Outlet Hoses - UR Catted Down Pipe - UR Test Pipe - ETS Top Mount Intercooler - COBB AP (WOT-Tune) - KMD Internals - Grimmspeed EBC - HAWK HPS Front Pads - JB dog bone rear mount - NGK (1 step colder plugs) - DDM HID (Headlights & Fogs)
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to akbrazil For This Useful Post:
dantes5823 (09-16-2012), Dmurray06 (09-16-2012), Easter Bunny (09-16-2012), helmetface (09-16-2012)
 Old 09-16-2012, 10:07 AM   #6

helmetface is the leader of the worldhelmetface is the leader of the worldhelmetface is the leader of the worldhelmetface is the leader of the worldhelmetface is the leader of the worldhelmetface is the leader of the worldhelmetface is the leader of the worldhelmetface is the leader of the worldhelmetface is the leader of the worldhelmetface is the leader of the worldhelmetface is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by akbrazil View Post
Shhhhh.....we can't let her find out LoL
I had to also tell her about the 3 port EBC and possibly needing a 3 bar MAP sensor as the car won't work right. LoL

Thanks man.

Sorry about making the thread on the BT section, I just figured since I saw a few others BNR threads that I was in the right place.
Heh not hazing you, don't worry.
 Old 09-16-2012, 12:36 PM   #7

shadesofgray19 is the leader of the worldshadesofgray19 is the leader of the worldshadesofgray19 is the leader of the worldshadesofgray19 is the leader of the worldshadesofgray19 is the leader of the worldshadesofgray19 is the leader of the worldshadesofgray19 is the leader of the worldshadesofgray19 is the leader of the worldshadesofgray19 is the leader of the worldshadesofgray19 is the leader of the worldshadesofgray19 is the leader of the world
Groans: 14
Groaned at 26 Times in 8 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by helmetface View Post

All depends on your definition of big turbo? GT35 guys would consider a GT30 as a medium turbo. GT30 is a medium frame turbo. BNR Stage 3 is bigger than stock so could be considered big turbo when compared to a k04.
 Old 09-16-2012, 12:44 PM   #8

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by shadesofgray19 View Post
All depends on your definition of big turbo? GT35 guys would consider a GT30 as a medium turbo. GT30 is a medium frame turbo. BNR Stage 3 is bigger than stock so could be considered big turbo when compared to a k04.
Ha, I'm just razzing the BNR guys.
 Old 09-16-2012, 04:09 PM   #9
Banned

dantes5823 is the leader of the worlddantes5823 is the leader of the worlddantes5823 is the leader of the worlddantes5823 is the leader of the worlddantes5823 is the leader of the worlddantes5823 is the leader of the worlddantes5823 is the leader of the worlddantes5823 is the leader of the worlddantes5823 is the leader of the worlddantes5823 is the leader of the worlddantes5823 is the leader of the world
Thanked 7,891 Times in 3,580 Posts
Groans: 23
Groaned at 52 Times in 48 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

@akbrazil can't wait to finally get cracking on your car. You gotta tell the wife your going out one night to get it taken care of and come over my area. Do your pump. Get you a taste of eth and get you moving.
dantes5823 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 09-17-2012, 02:16 PM   #10

himurax13 is the leader of the worldhimurax13 is the leader of the worldhimurax13 is the leader of the worldhimurax13 is the leader of the worldhimurax13 is the leader of the worldhimurax13 is the leader of the worldhimurax13 is the leader of the worldhimurax13 is the leader of the worldhimurax13 is the leader of the worldhimurax13 is the leader of the worldhimurax13 is the leader of the world
Thanked 3,274 Times in 1,867 Posts
Groans: 255
Groaned at 28 Times in 23 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by shadesofgray19 View Post
I think the BNR Stage 3 should be considered a BT, "Baby Turbo". Those of us who have one should never mention that particular upgrade since it is more of a replacement.

Pickles Tune in progress

himurax13 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to himurax13 For This Useful Post:
cshunter (09-17-2012)
 Old 09-17-2012, 02:18 PM   #11

lilred is the leader of the worldlilred is the leader of the worldlilred is the leader of the worldlilred is the leader of the worldlilred is the leader of the worldlilred is the leader of the worldlilred is the leader of the worldlilred is the leader of the worldlilred is the leader of the worldlilred is the leader of the worldlilred is the leader of the world
Thanked 8,690 Times in 3,186 Posts
Groans: 10
Groaned at 17 Times in 14 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by himurax13 View Post
I think the BNR Stage 3 should be considered a BT, "Baby Turbo". Those of us who have one should never mention that particular upgrade since it is more of a replacement.
"What you got in that thing" "just intake and a rebuilt stock turbo" lol

tapafuck
JBR SSP/bushings
JBR RMM
JBR tigs/ egr delete/ coolant bypass
JBR stage 2 OCC
CS test pipe
Turbosmart BPV (stocker currently on)
SS lines/super blue/stoptech pads

Originally Posted by silvapain View Post
I've heard that modding MAZDASPEEDs is an STD...
lilred is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 09-17-2012, 02:21 PM   #12

himurax13 is the leader of the worldhimurax13 is the leader of the worldhimurax13 is the leader of the worldhimurax13 is the leader of the worldhimurax13 is the leader of the worldhimurax13 is the leader of the worldhimurax13 is the leader of the worldhimurax13 is the leader of the worldhimurax13 is the leader of the worldhimurax13 is the leader of the worldhimurax13 is the leader of the world
Thanked 3,274 Times in 1,867 Posts
Groans: 255
Groaned at 28 Times in 23 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by lilred View Post
"What you got in that thing" "just intake and a rebuilt stock turbo" lol

tapafuck
No way. Its more like a CS SRI, JBR Spherical Knob, and a tune.

Pickles Tune in progress

himurax13 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to himurax13 For This Useful Post:
GunGuru727 (09-17-2012), lilred (09-17-2012)
 Old 09-17-2012, 03:23 PM   #13
Banned

dantes5823 is the leader of the worlddantes5823 is the leader of the worlddantes5823 is the leader of the worlddantes5823 is the leader of the worlddantes5823 is the leader of the worlddantes5823 is the leader of the worlddantes5823 is the leader of the worlddantes5823 is the leader of the worlddantes5823 is the leader of the worlddantes5823 is the leader of the worlddantes5823 is the leader of the world
Thanked 7,891 Times in 3,580 Posts
Groans: 23
Groaned at 52 Times in 48 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

since he cant i shall for him. this is our baseline
Attached Images
File Type: png bnr.png (59.4 KB, 319 views)
dantes5823 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 09-17-2012, 07:35 PM   #14

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Thanks for uploading. I'm still trying to figure out why my limit to upload is max when i have nothing showing in my manager. Damnit!!

Originally Posted by dantes5823 View Post
@akbrazil can't wait to finally get cracking on your car. You gotta tell the wife your going out one night to get it taken care of and come over my area. Do your pump. Get you a taste of eth and get you moving.
Oh yeah!!! Will be coming by soon.
The Following User Says Thank You to akbrazil For This Useful Post:
dantes5823 (09-17-2012)