register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3 MZR Gen2 Forums (2010-2013)
> 2010 MS3 - Big Turbo Builds

2010 MS3 - Big Turbo Builds Genpu - Big Turbo Builds. All discussions about big turbos, hybrids and builds belong here.

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!
Like Tree6Likes

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 08-29-2017, 12:09 PM   #81

andale927 has much to be proud ofandale927 has much to be proud ofandale927 has much to be proud ofandale927 has much to be proud ofandale927 has much to be proud ofandale927 has much to be proud ofandale927 has much to be proud ofandale927 has much to be proud ofandale927 has much to be proud ofandale927 has much to be proud of
Groans: 2
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by flyhigh View Post
What kind of pads are you using? I know "Track-use only" pads can run through rotors fairly quickly, but daaaaamn! My OEM rotors lasted 40k miles and I hope the Centrics will do better. I'm running the red stuffs because DD. I'm definitely going to me monitoring more closely now with that piece of info.
Yeah, I'm beginning to think it might be hub/bearing related because it seems crazy how quickly they warp. I run EBC yellows which are a little more aggressive but not quite track only or anything. I'll shut up now, don't want to derail your thread.

Power:
BNR S4 v2 Turbocharger | JBR 3.5" Aluminum Intake | JBR Battery Box | GFB Respons BPV |Depo Racing Catless Downpipe | Bosch 3 BAR MAP | JBR 3 Port EBC | Treadstone TR8 Kit w/ Piping | Autotech HPFP Internals | Ultimate Racing Catback | Cobb Accessport V3 | Devils Own Meth Kit (D05) | Custom Tru-Cool Oil Cooler | FREEKTUNED E30 Mix+Meth

Handling:
KW V3 Coilovers | CS Camber Plates | SPC Rear Camber Arms | Michelin Pilot Sport 4S 235/40/18 | Full Damond Motor Mounts | JBR Weighted Shift Knob | JBR Shift Bushings | JBR Rear Sway Bar | Damond Short Shift Plate

Other:
Cobb Polyurethane Exhaust Hangers | Speedline Hood Struts | Corksport CF Hood Scoop | Damond OCC Stage 1 | Corksport E-Brake | Corksport Steering Wheel | Avid.1 AV-20 Wheels 18x8 +35
andale927 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 08-29-2017, 12:20 PM   #82

flyhigh has a reputation beyond reputeflyhigh has a reputation beyond reputeflyhigh has a reputation beyond reputeflyhigh has a reputation beyond reputeflyhigh has a reputation beyond reputeflyhigh has a reputation beyond reputeflyhigh has a reputation beyond reputeflyhigh has a reputation beyond reputeflyhigh has a reputation beyond reputeflyhigh has a reputation beyond reputeflyhigh has a reputation beyond repute
Groans: 1
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by mituc View Post
Next step: add meth.
That was the plan, but my CM system needs work. I'll be doing E-30 first, then adding the meth once its wired properly.
12' black mica w/tech: BNR S4 V2; CM STG 2 WMI; DAMOND TB SPACER; GUARDIAN ANGEL V3; KOZMIC OCC; CP-E SAFE SEALS; DAMOND EGR DELETE; WHITEWIDOW INTAKE GASKET; Cobb AP V3 CP-E Xcel XL SRI; CP-E 4" TIP; CP-E Catted DP; CP-E Cat-back exhaust; CP-E TMIC; Cobb BPV; JBR EBCS; Cobb RMM; CorkSport HPFP internals; JBR turbo hoses; NGK (6510) LTR7IX-11 Iridium IX Spark Plugs; JBR short shifter; JBR Small battery tray; Optima 51r Battery
Rice--CorkSport interior lights and carbon fiber hood scoop
ETH/METH tune by Stratified in progress
flyhigh is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 08-30-2017, 09:03 AM   #83

Jeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by andale927 View Post
Yeah, I'm beginning to think it might be hub/bearing related because it seems crazy how quickly they warp. I run EBC yellows which are a little more aggressive but not quite track only or anything. I'll shut up now, don't want to derail your thread.
I run HP+ race pads, (noisy, dusty but agressive) And it seem my rotor wear out quicker than the pad itself....Not warped at all after few years of abuse on the street. Sometimes i even hold the brakes to make a longer log in third gear until it smell lol.
Only bad side, watch your rear end in traffic, i got bumped yesterday but my hitch protected the car
All that to say, you probably have something wrong to warp yours.

2007 rusted Speed6... in progress...
1993 Ford Probe KLZE 143dB
2012 Mazda3 Gs-sky 6.5l/100 when transporting speed parts
1989 GM 6.2 diesel pickup
Wife drive 2010 CX7

2007 speed3 burned (i'm proud to ran 12.7s with it)

...Because French Canadian...
Jeff23spl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff23spl For This Useful Post:
andale927 (08-30-2017)
 Old 09-18-2017, 05:37 PM   #84

flyhigh has a reputation beyond reputeflyhigh has a reputation beyond reputeflyhigh has a reputation beyond reputeflyhigh has a reputation beyond reputeflyhigh has a reputation beyond reputeflyhigh has a reputation beyond reputeflyhigh has a reputation beyond reputeflyhigh has a reputation beyond reputeflyhigh has a reputation beyond reputeflyhigh has a reputation beyond reputeflyhigh has a reputation beyond repute
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

So the 93 octane tune is now complete. WMI is still inop, so it's on to Ethanol for now. I'm going with a E-30 per Stratified's recommendations. I couldn't get any grip on the wet roads today and can't wait to get it out on a dry road tomorrow.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170918_133329.jpg (3.33 MB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170918_133349.jpg (3.55 MB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170918_134027.jpg (2.60 MB, 10 views)
12' black mica w/tech: BNR S4 V2; CM STG 2 WMI; DAMOND TB SPACER; GUARDIAN ANGEL V3; KOZMIC OCC; CP-E SAFE SEALS; DAMOND EGR DELETE; WHITEWIDOW INTAKE GASKET; Cobb AP V3 CP-E Xcel XL SRI; CP-E 4" TIP; CP-E Catted DP; CP-E Cat-back exhaust; CP-E TMIC; Cobb BPV; JBR EBCS; Cobb RMM; CorkSport HPFP internals; JBR turbo hoses; NGK (6510) LTR7IX-11 Iridium IX Spark Plugs; JBR short shifter; JBR Small battery tray; Optima 51r Battery
 Old 09-19-2017, 05:23 AM   #85

Jeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Btw how much is your fuel at this time? Was the price affected by Harvey/Irma?

Wife drive 2010 CX7

Old 09-19-2017, 06:15 AM   #86

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

IRMA-GERD YES. E was $1.99 pre-Harvey and now after Irma it's $2.59. 93 was $2.3x and now $3.2x
 Old 09-19-2017, 09:15 AM   #87

Not Ranked  0 score     

Ok thanks, About the same increase up here.
1.0x/liter to 1.3-1.4/liter for 87 and now settle down to 1.2/l...
Sorry to be offtopic but as you pictured a gaz pump i was curious!...

Wife drive 2010 CX7

Old 09-19-2017, 09:48 AM   #88

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Here's a log of a 4th gear WOT run on just the base map for E-30.
Attached Files
File Type: csv 9-19-17 4th WOT.csv (21.2 KB, 3 views)
 Old 09-19-2017, 10:29 AM   #89

Not Ranked  0 score     

Is it fine to have injector duty above 100% ?

Wife drive 2010 CX7

Old 09-19-2017, 11:06 AM   #90

mituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,107 Times in 1,215 Posts
Groans: 111
Groaned at 17 Times in 14 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Jeff23spl View Post
Is it fine to have injector duty above 100% ?
Yeah, as long as it's not too much above 100%, like 108-110%. Above 100% it means that they injectors are spraying during the power cycle as well after staying on during the intake and compression stroke.

By looking at the logs I see how much more efficient WMI is. However, pairing an E mix with an additional port injector (or 2) will result in a lot of awesome stuff.
Bilstein B12 + CS Camber plates + Eibach camber arms, SSR Type-F, Michelin PS4 225/40/R18, Cobb RMM, StopTech Street Pads + Stoptech Slotted disks, SouthBend Enduro Stage3 clutch, genpu TMM + CS Insert, TheSpeedLine 2X Rear Cross Floor and Rear Middle Lower Strut bars, Tanabe 4 Point Under Brace, Whiteline Bumpsteeer corection kit
JBR Tru-3" + CS CAI Box, SU TMIC, Cobb XLE, NGK LTR7IX, UR v3 catted DP and res&catted TP, Cobb CatBack, GS EBCS, Autotech internals, GTX3071, CS 3.5BAR, Guardian Angel, CoolingMist WMI, VCTS Delete, stock ported IM
SP63 87.5mm 4032 9.5:1 pistons, Manley rods, CA625+ head studs, Clevite AL main bearings, King rod bearings, CP-e safe seals, DCR VVT, Koyorad radiator.
StratiVersaTuned FTW to 28PSI, self-tuned to 32PSI

2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7 6 Speed Manual
SU TMIC, Autotech HPFP internals, Cobb XLE, Cobb EBCS
GTX2867R gen2, stock spark plugs, stock intake, stock cats and stock exhaust FTW
self-Versatuned to 22PSI
mituc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mituc For This Useful Post:
flyhigh (09-19-2017), Jeff23spl (09-20-2017)
 Old 09-16-2018, 10:14 AM   #91

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by mituc View Post

At 400 crank HP even with meth injection the ringlands of the factory pistons are on borrowed time. You can run the factory engine until you crack ringlands and rebuild from there, but don't aim for 400hp and hope for the best simply because these pistons cannot handle the heat of 400cp for too long. of course it also depends on how often you ask for those 400hp and for how long.
It seems this may have happened...

93, E30, 93 w/WMI tunes are done. Working on E48 w/ WMI currently.
After a few WOTs to complete the 93 WMI tune there was oil comming from the vent of the OCC. Oil level looked low, so I added some to get it back in the correct range. After this, the exhaust started smoking, not terribly, but smoking. When the A/C cycled on, the smoke was bad. I took it in to the mechanic and could not duplicate the issue. He did a test on the coolant and said everything looked as it should, no bubbles, no carbon. Coolant temps even at idle for 20 minutes in 88* never got over 206*

Everything seemed fine for a couple weeks. I moved on to the E48 WMI tune and after a couple WOTs the oil was back under the OCC the next morning. Took the car to work carefully and let it run in the parking lot for a bit. There was a little bit of smoke at idle (blue). When the A/C kicked on it blew a ton of smoke. A/C off and smoke all but stopped. Took it back to the mechanic who now thinks it's either valve seals, piston rings, or the turbo. There is a lot of pressure in the crankcase as evidenced by the oil blowing out of the OCC and an oily VVT plug thingy.

I should note that I did not pay for the mechanic to look at the car. I just caught him before work to demonstrate the smoking and ask some questions. He's cool like that.

Besides the smoking, the car runs great. No noticeable power loss at all, but v-dyno shows me making more power on the E30 tune than I'm making now on E48 and WMI (that tune was back in March, so it was much cooler temps). The tuner looked back through my logs and found nothing wrong. I've asked around and not even the Mazda mechanic has seen pluming exhaust smoke caused by A/C.

I'll be doing a compression test and attempting a leak down test tomorrow.
 Old 09-16-2018, 07:56 PM   #92

mituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the world
Neutral  +1 score     

I'll be doing a compression test and attempting a leak down test tomorrow.
I'm sorry to hear what you're going through, but at this point based on the symptoms hopefully it's just the turbo which started spewing oil because it gets it in excess and can't handle it any more. We'll see...
Bilstein B12 + CS Camber plates + Eibach camber arms, SSR Type-F, Michelin PS4 225/40/R18, Cobb RMM, StopTech Street Pads + Stoptech Slotted disks, SouthBend Enduro Stage3 clutch, genpu TMM + CS Insert, TheSpeedLine 2X Rear Cross Floor and Rear Middle Lower Strut bars, Tanabe 4 Point Under Brace, Whiteline Bumpsteeer corection kit
JBR Tru-3" + CS CAI Box, SU TMIC, Cobb XLE, NGK LTR7IX, UR v3 catted DP and res&catted TP, Cobb CatBack, GS EBCS, Autotech internals, GTX3071, CS 3.5BAR, Guardian Angel, CoolingMist WMI, VCTS Delete, stock ported IM
SP63 87.5mm 4032 9.5:1 pistons, Manley rods, CA625+ head studs, Clevite AL main bearings, King rod bearings, CP-e safe seals, DCR VVT, Koyorad radiator.

GTX2867R gen2, stock spark plugs, stock intake, stock cats and stock exhaust FTW
self-Versatuned to 22PSI
 Old 09-16-2018, 11:30 PM   #93

Solarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the world
Groans: 0
Neutral  +1 score     

I was pluming smoke out the back, too. Three different mechanics told me I blew a head gasket. It turned out to be a clogged OCC hose. I pulled it off, blew into it, shot out a bunch of garbage, and it was fine after that. I went dual OCC after that due to the crank case pressure issues I was seeing and the hose I was using (Corksport silicone hose) was utter shit and just flexed too much. I will only ever use reinforced rubber hose after that. Good luck on your issues.
Solarsurge is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 09-17-2018, 07:15 AM   #94

torquemaniac is the leader of the worldtorquemaniac is the leader of the worldtorquemaniac is the leader of the worldtorquemaniac is the leader of the worldtorquemaniac is the leader of the worldtorquemaniac is the leader of the worldtorquemaniac is the leader of the worldtorquemaniac is the leader of the worldtorquemaniac is the leader of the worldtorquemaniac is the leader of the worldtorquemaniac is the leader of the world
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Neutral  +1 score     

From my experience, that look like ringland failure...a compression test will validate this

I had to rebuild my engine 2 times because of ringland failure of the OEM pistons...I was running 32-33psi of boost with 1060cc/min of meth and 17 degree timing at redline (with Eagles rods of course)

Even with no crazy KR, the OEM pistons dont live long with this kind of power
Ported Holset HY35 // Custom top mount EM // Tial MV-S 38mm // Custom DP and catback // L2A intercooler // 3-port EBCS // 3.25 Blow-thru MAF // Aquamist HFS-4 v.2 direct port injection // Eagle rods // Forge BPV v.2 // Crankcase evac system // Autotech HPFP // Custom RMM insert // TB coolant bypass // Full EGR delete // 3.5 bar MAP // Launch control with anti-lag // Derale remote transmission cooler // Upgraded transmission boost valve // Shimmed transmission accumulators // Adjusted transmission clutch control valve // Digital overboost protection system // Custom firewall heatshield // JKS rear spoiler // Painted VC and IM // BSD // Custom vent pod with boost and meth gauge // Tuned with Versatuner

Coming soon : Composite ram-air intake // Hood with heat extraction vent

"When the turbo spins the bull$hit ends" BOOST the replacement for displacement
torquemaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 09-17-2018, 12:21 PM   #95

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

https://photos.app.goo.gl/2oerkpUpbWq9XJdq6

Compresion #'s

Leak down gauge seems busted, but all cylinders leak in to other cylinders. no leaks at exhaust or dip stick.

Pulling the TIP now to inspect the turbo.
 Old 09-17-2018, 01:12 PM   #96

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

turbo looks okay, right?? Way more oil everywhere else...
https://photos.app.goo.gl/mJTrq2GQEMXAUi9x8
 Old 09-17-2018, 01:17 PM   #97

Solarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

https://photos.app.goo.gl/2oerkpUpbWq9XJdq6

Compresion #'s

Leak down gauge seems busted, but all cylinders leak in to other cylinders. no leaks at exhaust or dip stick.

Pulling the TIP now to inspect the turbo.

Um... cylinders leaking into other cylinders would be a head gasket failure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 Old 09-17-2018, 10:38 PM   #98

Not Ranked  0 score     

A major one actually.
How's the coolant? Does it have any traces of oil or soot/exhaust stuff in it?

self-Versatuned to 22PSI
 Old 09-18-2018, 07:37 AM   #99

Not Ranked  0 score     

can it have valves opens or leaking in more than 1 cylinders at time of test and air return by manifolds ? Leaking gasket isn't common for these engines.

Wife drive 2010 CX7

Old 09-18-2018, 07:50 AM   #100

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Jeff23spl View Post
can it have valves opens or leaking in more than 1 cylinders at time of test and air return by manifolds ? Leaking gasket isn't common for these engines.

^This. Are you sure you tested at TDC for all the cylinders? Easy way to tell is to pull the spark plugs and put the longest screwdriver you have into the spark plug hole and rotate the engine by hand with a 21mm socket until it rises all the way up and stops. Cyls 1 and 4 should be at TDC when the hole in the crank pulley is directly below the pulley bolt and aligns with the bolt hole in the timing cover, Cyls 2 and 3 should be at TDC when the bolt hole is directly above the pulley bolt at 180 degrees from the other spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 Old 09-18-2018, 11:39 AM   #101

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Thanks guys.
Coolant looks good, no carbon or bubbles in the tank.
I did my best to make sure each cylinder was TDC for the leak down. Even cycled through twice to ensure it was on the compression stroke (same results for each test on each cylinder)
Tuner and some others think the smoke could be a PCV issue, so just ordered one from DM. Oil on the plug is likely from a leaky valve seal. OCC being fully vented could also be a problem. One step at a time, as I was kindly reminded.
The Following User Says Thank You to flyhigh For This Useful Post:
JSmith (09-18-2018)