register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3 MZR Gen2 Forums (2010-2013)
> 2010 MS3 - Big Turbo Builds

2010 MS3 - Big Turbo Builds Genpu - Big Turbo Builds. All discussions about big turbos, hybrids and builds belong here.

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!
Like Tree5Likes

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 10-20-2017, 01:18 PM   #1

soaptray has a reputation beyond reputesoaptray has a reputation beyond reputesoaptray has a reputation beyond reputesoaptray has a reputation beyond reputesoaptray has a reputation beyond reputesoaptray has a reputation beyond reputesoaptray has a reputation beyond reputesoaptray has a reputation beyond reputesoaptray has a reputation beyond reputesoaptray has a reputation beyond reputesoaptray has a reputation beyond repute
Groans: 2
Groaned at 2 Times in 1 Post
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default Soaptray's GTX3076R BT Build

On my way to work this morning, I was getting off the highway and noticed clouds of white smoke. I thought to myself... some idiot driving a beater needs to go away cause they stink... and then I realized it was my car puffing out the plume.

Needless to say, I believe the seals on my K04 are finally toast. 90,000KM.

I have already purchased a few parts for the build, and will be purchasing a few more to round it off. I have read a bunch of the threads on here, and tried to compile this list using the groups knowledge. Please let me know if anything appears to be missing or if you have better suggestions based on my build.

New Parts for Build:
- GTX3076R with Mazda Flange + V-Band EWG (Purchased)
- XSPower Exhaust Manifold (Purchased)
- TiAL 38MM MV-S Wastegate
- ATP Dumptube
- JBR Small Battery Box (Make room for larger intake)
- JBR 3.5" Aluminum Intake with 4" Coupler for BT
- JBR 3-Port Electronic Boost Control Solenoid
- Kozmic Oil Feed and Return Lines
- ATP Turbo Studs and Nuts (In case)
- Manifold to Turbo Gasket
- Turbo to DP Gasket
- Return Oil Line Gaskets
- Guardian Angel v3 (With 4BAR Sensor)

Considering:
- Injector Seals
- Meth

Goals are in the range of 375 to 400 HP range.

Hoping to order the rest in the next few days - look forward to hearing any suggestions or something I may have overlooked.

Will post pics along the way! Thanks!

10/24/17 UPDATE: Updated part list.

[ 2010 MAZDASPEED3 - Crystal White Pearl ]

Lighting 6000k HID Bi-Xenon, Painted, LED Halos, HID Fogs, LED Interior | Autotech HPFP Internals | MagnaFlow CBE | CP-e DeltaCore FMIC | Cobb SRI, TIH, AP, Knob | TurboXS Hybrid BOV | UR Catted Downpipe, Test Pipe | Denso ITV22 Plugs | SURE Anchors, Counterweight, Shortcut | Rally Armor Flaps | AutoEXE Strut Bar | Speedline Hood Damper | Prosport Evo Boost Gauge, Evo Wideband AFR Gauge | JBR 80a RMM, 80a TMM Mount, Stage 2 OCC | Hella Supertones | Misc 30% Tint | Varrstoen 18 x 8.5 ES2 +35 | Koni Yellows | H&R Springs

In Garage: XSPower Exhaust Manifold, Garret GTX3076R EWG

Last edited by soaptray; 11-11-2017 at 05:38 PM.
soaptray is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 10-21-2017, 10:16 AM   #2

VoodooJef has a reputation beyond reputeVoodooJef has a reputation beyond reputeVoodooJef has a reputation beyond reputeVoodooJef has a reputation beyond reputeVoodooJef has a reputation beyond reputeVoodooJef has a reputation beyond reputeVoodooJef has a reputation beyond reputeVoodooJef has a reputation beyond reputeVoodooJef has a reputation beyond reputeVoodooJef has a reputation beyond reputeVoodooJef has a reputation beyond repute
Groans: 0
Not Ranked  0 score     

That is WAY more turbo than you need for your HP goals. It`s a remarkable turbo, just intended for a heavier weight class (so to speak). If you`re on stock block I can give youa timeline of how the next few months will go:

Bolt on turbo and supporting mods.
Love the way it turns out, add methanol.
Turn up the tune a little more.
Realize the turbo is only giving 60% of its potential, turn up the tune a little more.
Connecting rod taps out. If you`re lucky it does not ventilate the block.
Spend many thousands of dollars on built motor and a beefier clutch because anything less would be foolish.

It`s a great setup capable of over 500whp with enough fuel. Keep that in mind.
Built motor w/ Manley rods & Mahle 4032 pistons,BNR S4v2, 3.5" JBR tru-wide, XS power V3 exhaust mani, ST intake mani, CNT catless dp, Magnaflow 3" exhaust, autotech hpfp, Coolingmist progressive (lots of methanol), Cobb FMIC, Cobb RMM, DM PMM, JBR shifter w/ Maisonvi knob, 255/35/18 Pilot Super Sports, Bilstein coilovers (f), Bilstein cartridges in (r) with BC linear spring conversion, GFB valve w/ a GA, Versatune so I can be a rebel, just a little north of 500whp.
And Yeah, that`s Steve Vai playing my arm in my avatar.
VoodooJef is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 10-21-2017, 10:27 AM   #3

Cheapspeed is the leader of the worldCheapspeed is the leader of the worldCheapspeed is the leader of the worldCheapspeed is the leader of the worldCheapspeed is the leader of the worldCheapspeed is the leader of the worldCheapspeed is the leader of the worldCheapspeed is the leader of the worldCheapspeed is the leader of the worldCheapspeed is the leader of the worldCheapspeed is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,652 Times in 1,429 Posts
Groans: 29
Groaned at 18 Times in 17 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by VoodooJef View Post
That is WAY more turbo than you need for your HP goals. It`s a remarkable turbo, just intended for a heavier weight class (so to speak). If you`re on stock block I can give youa timeline of how the next few months will go:

Bolt on turbo and supporting mods.
Love the way it turns out, add methanol.
Turn up the tune a little more.
Realize the turbo is only giving 60% of its potential, turn up the tune a little more.
Connecting rod taps out. If you`re lucky it does not ventilate the block.
Spend many thousands of dollars on built motor and a beefier clutch because anything less would be foolish.

It`s a great setup capable of over 500whp with enough fuel. Keep that in mind.
The 3076 is very laggy on stock block. Horrible in traffic, great for the highway.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
 Old 10-21-2017, 11:42 AM   #4

soaptray has a reputation beyond reputesoaptray has a reputation beyond reputesoaptray has a reputation beyond reputesoaptray has a reputation beyond reputesoaptray has a reputation beyond reputesoaptray has a reputation beyond reputesoaptray has a reputation beyond reputesoaptray has a reputation beyond reputesoaptray has a reputation beyond reputesoaptray has a reputation beyond reputesoaptray has a reputation beyond repute
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Thanks for the notes. I am worried I am going to want more once this thing goes in.

I got a really good deal on the turbo and the manifold a few years ago, but it has been sitting in my garage since. My initial intention was to sell it and not install, but since my K04 is done, this is where I am at. I don't think I am doing the MS3 community any good by looking to put another K04 in here.

As long as I can get a safe, reliable tune in here on the stock block I will be good (for a few months as you mention).

The shaft has no play, and I can see the blades were recently balanced. Turbo has about 20,000 KM on it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3503.jpg (2.14 MB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3502.jpg (2.03 MB, 14 views)

Lighting 6000k HID Bi-Xenon, Painted, LED Halos, HID Fogs, LED Interior | Autotech HPFP Internals | MagnaFlow CBE | CP-e DeltaCore FMIC | Cobb SRI, TIH, AP, Knob | TurboXS Hybrid BOV | UR Catted Downpipe, Test Pipe | Denso ITV22 Plugs | SURE Anchors, Counterweight, Shortcut | Rally Armor Flaps | AutoEXE Strut Bar | Speedline Hood Damper | Prosport Evo Boost Gauge, Evo Wideband AFR Gauge | JBR 80a RMM, 80a TMM Mount, Stage 2 OCC | Hella Supertones | Misc 30% Tint | Varrstoen 18 x 8.5 ES2 +35 | Koni Yellows | H&R Springs

Old 10-21-2017, 12:31 PM   #5

mituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,116 Times in 1,223 Posts
Groans: 111
Groaned at 17 Times in 14 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by soaptray View Post
Goals are in the range of 375 to 400 HP range.
With meth and this power figure as a goal I'd go GTX3071 for significantly better response.
With the mods in the signature my car is close to 450 (or exceeds that when it's cold).
The bottleneck in my case seem to be the manifolds and I can't tell which one, possibly if I upgrade the IM I'll find out that 10whp later the OEM EM and the IWG + mazda flanged turbo is the new bottleneck (31PSI is kind of the limit of what I can get). And 400bhp is kind of the sweet spot for this FWD chassis.

With the 3076 you get boost pretty late after stomping on the throttle and pretty late in the RPM range. That paired with the factory pistons which don't like revving too high because of the heat (even if you address that with meth) you're left with like 2500-3000rpm to work with at the end of the rev range.
Bilstein B12 + CS Camber plates + Eibach camber arms, SSR Type-F, Michelin PS4 225/40/R18, Cobb RMM, StopTech Street Pads + Stoptech Slotted disks, SouthBend Enduro Stage3 clutch, genpu TMM + CS Insert, TheSpeedLine 2X Rear Cross Floor and Rear Middle Lower Strut bars, Tanabe 4 Point Under Brace, Whiteline Bumpsteeer corection kit
JBR Tru-3" + CS CAI Box, SU TMIC, Cobb XLE, NGK LTR7IX, UR v3 catted DP and res&catted TP, Cobb CatBack, GS EBCS, Autotech internals, GTX3071, CS 3.5BAR, Guardian Angel, CoolingMist WMI, VCTS Delete, stock ported IM
SP63 87.5mm 4032 9.5:1 pistons, Manley rods, CA625+ head studs, Clevite AL main bearings, King rod bearings, CP-e safe seals, DCR VVT, Koyorad radiator.
StratiVersaTuned FTW to 28PSI, self-tuned to 32PSI

2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7 6 Speed Manual
SU TMIC, Autotech HPFP internals, Cobb XLE, Cobb EBCS
GTX2867R gen2, stock spark plugs, stock intake, stock cats and stock exhaust FTW
self-Versatuned to 22PSI

Last edited by mituc; 10-21-2017 at 12:31 PM. Reason: MSF Database - Automerged Doublepost
mituc is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 10-21-2017, 04:00 PM   #6

BuddySpeed3 has a reputation beyond reputeBuddySpeed3 has a reputation beyond reputeBuddySpeed3 has a reputation beyond reputeBuddySpeed3 has a reputation beyond reputeBuddySpeed3 has a reputation beyond reputeBuddySpeed3 has a reputation beyond reputeBuddySpeed3 has a reputation beyond reputeBuddySpeed3 has a reputation beyond reputeBuddySpeed3 has a reputation beyond reputeBuddySpeed3 has a reputation beyond reputeBuddySpeed3 has a reputation beyond repute
Groaned at 7 Times in 4 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Looking forward to the finished product! Have you decided on who will tune the car?
- 2009 Speed 3 - Clocked BNR S4 v2 - Corksport 3.5" Intake - Cobb 3 Port Bcs - Cobb AP V2 - Guardian Angel V3 - Tr8 Fmic w/ Jbr Under Route Piping - Jbr Raiders Air Damn w/ Custom Radiator Side Ducting - Cpe Catless Dp - Cnt Catback - Cobb Xle Bpv - Corksport IM - Full Race EM - Cobb Shift Knob - Autotech Internals - Corksport HP Fuel Line - Gen 2 VC w/ Sp63 Oil Breather Cap - DM PCV Plate w/ Dual Vented Catch Cans - Jbr 88a Rmm - 88a Tmm - 80a Pmm - Corksport Injector Seals - Ngk 1 Step colder Plugs - Koni Yellow Shocks - Eibach Springs - 94 Octane w/ 2 Gallons of In Tank Methanol - Sp63 6th Port Kit (tune in progress)
BuddySpeed3 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 10-23-2017, 06:54 AM   #7

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by BuddySpeed3 View Post
Looking forward to the finished product! Have you decided on who will tune the car?
Not yet - there is a local shop in Milton (JapaneseAutomotive) that I have been chatting with who may help. Also might go eTune.

Any suggestions?

Originally Posted by mituc View Post
With meth and this power figure as a goal I'd go GTX3071 for significantly better response.
With the mods in the signature my car is close to 450 (or exceeds that when it's cold).
The bottleneck in my case seem to be the manifolds and I can't tell which one, possibly if I upgrade the IM I'll find out that 10whp later the OEM EM and the IWG + mazda flanged turbo is the new bottleneck (31PSI is kind of the limit of what I can get). And 400bhp is kind of the sweet spot for this FWD chassis.

With the 3076 you get boost pretty late after stomping on the throttle and pretty late in the RPM range. That paired with the factory pistons which don't like revving too high because of the heat (even if you address that with meth) you're left with like 2500-3000rpm to work with at the end of the rev range.
Thanks for the insight. I do agree with you that this turbo isnt the perfect fit for what I am trying to do. Also have to keep in mind that my K04 smoking has forced me into a quick upgrade, as this is my daily driver. I wasn't originally planning on doing the BT upgrade this year... My other option would be to source a smaller turbo and sell the one I have, but I don't want to go through that hassle right now haha.

Can always change things up in the summer if I hate the RPM lag.

Last edited by soaptray; 10-23-2017 at 06:54 AM. Reason: MSF Database - Automerged Doublepost
 Old 10-23-2017, 03:34 PM   #8

BuddySpeed3 has a reputation beyond reputeBuddySpeed3 has a reputation beyond reputeBuddySpeed3 has a reputation beyond reputeBuddySpeed3 has a reputation beyond reputeBuddySpeed3 has a reputation beyond reputeBuddySpeed3 has a reputation beyond reputeBuddySpeed3 has a reputation beyond reputeBuddySpeed3 has a reputation beyond reputeBuddySpeed3 has a reputation beyond reputeBuddySpeed3 has a reputation beyond reputeBuddySpeed3 has a reputation beyond repute
Not Ranked  0 score     

Not yet - there is a local shop in Milton (JapaneseAutomotive) that I have been chatting with who may help. Also might go eTune. Any suggestions?
I'd say go with an E-tune from a tuner on this forum. They have the most experience with these cars and engines.
soaptray likes this.
- 2009 Speed 3 - Clocked BNR S4 v2 - Corksport 3.5" Intake - Cobb 3 Port Bcs - Cobb AP V2 - Guardian Angel V3 - Tr8 Fmic w/ Jbr Under Route Piping - Jbr Raiders Air Damn w/ Custom Radiator Side Ducting - Cpe Catless Dp - Cnt Catback - Cobb Xle Bpv - Corksport IM - Full Race EM - Cobb Shift Knob - Autotech Internals - Corksport HP Fuel Line - Gen 2 VC w/ Sp63 Oil Breather Cap - DM PCV Plate w/ Dual Vented Catch Cans - Jbr 88a Rmm - 88a Tmm - 80a Pmm - Corksport Injector Seals - Ngk 1 Step colder Plugs - Koni Yellow Shocks - Eibach Springs - 94 Octane w/ 2 Gallons of In Tank Methanol - Sp63 6th Port Kit (tune in progress)
 Old 10-23-2017, 06:25 PM   #9

VoodooJef has a reputation beyond reputeVoodooJef has a reputation beyond reputeVoodooJef has a reputation beyond reputeVoodooJef has a reputation beyond reputeVoodooJef has a reputation beyond reputeVoodooJef has a reputation beyond reputeVoodooJef has a reputation beyond reputeVoodooJef has a reputation beyond reputeVoodooJef has a reputation beyond reputeVoodooJef has a reputation beyond reputeVoodooJef has a reputation beyond repute
Not Ranked  0 score     

Can always change things up in the summer if I hate the RPM lag.
You will. But you will assuredly trade your disappointment for another s**t eating grin with the way it just seems to want to keep pulling forever to redline. The 3076 is enough turbo that it will never run out of pull at 400hp.
soaptray likes this.
Built motor w/ Manley rods & Mahle 4032 pistons,BNR S4v2, 3.5" JBR tru-wide, XS power V3 exhaust mani, ST intake mani, CNT catless dp, Magnaflow 3" exhaust, autotech hpfp, Coolingmist progressive (lots of methanol), Cobb FMIC, Cobb RMM, DM PMM, JBR shifter w/ Maisonvi knob, 255/35/18 Pilot Super Sports, Bilstein coilovers (f), Bilstein cartridges in (r) with BC linear spring conversion, GFB valve w/ a GA, Versatune so I can be a rebel, just a little north of 500whp.
 Old 10-24-2017, 10:07 AM   #10

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

And the smoking heap of junk has arrived back at the garage - ready to start tearing the engine apart to get at that tiny little K04. Parts are going to be ordered today or tomorrow... bracing to get screwed by customs import and duties.

With the Kosmic oil lines, do I need to buy gaskets? Can't seem to find them anywhere.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3514.jpg (1.67 MB, 15 views)
Bexar likes this.

Old 10-25-2017, 03:12 PM   #11

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Order placed from @EdgeAutoSport - now comes the waiting game.

Regarding the E-Tune, recommendations? Stratified / Freek? It's been a while since I followed these guys.

Thanks!

Old 10-25-2017, 04:50 PM   #12

Not Ranked  0 score     

Honestly man, they're all good at it. The guys at stratified pretty much pioneered the first waves of bigger hp tunes, Freektune is turning out some of the fastest cars in the game, several friends have had great experience with PD, and Rob has definitely done good work with Hypnotic. All of them maintain different levels of association with their clients, so that may be a factor for you as well. If you have access to a dyno there is also the option of getting your tune done in one sitting on it. All things to consider.
soaptray likes this.
 Old 11-10-2017, 05:48 PM   #13

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

So, my parts are in from Edge, ordered a tune from Freek to grab the base map, and I am preparing to do this big turbo install this weekend.

At work, I saw a post on my Facebook about blown cylinder gaskets on Ford Focus RS models producing white smoke that look eerily similar to my car. When I got home today, I checked my coolant, and lo and behold it was below the "MIN" line... so I suspect there may be a problem with my head gasket or potentially a cracked cylinder head.

I don't know why I immediately zeroed in on a blown turbo seal - I guess I had that in my mind for so long that it would happen at some point that I didn't consider other possibilities.

What are my next steps to confirming if its the gasket or the cylinder without taking the whole top end off? (7-9 hour job from what I am reading).

I checked my oil cap, no milky residue.
Oil was a bit low, and quite gunky as I am due for an oil change.

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!

Old 11-10-2017, 09:01 PM   #14

Fstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the world
Groans: 20
Groaned at 6 Times in 5 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Do a leak down test with the radiator cap removed. See what happens.
Versatuner, 3-bar MAP, ITV22, CP-e TMIC
CS Turbo/DP/RP/HPFP/BPV/R-DiffMount
White Widow F-DiffMount, Whiteline RSB
Rear Russian Bushings, Poly FSB Bushings Magnaflow CBE, ACT 6-puck/Streetlite
JBR Tru-3.5/3-port EBCS/EGR-D
Damond RMM/PMM/OCC/PCV Plate
Other rides:
2002 Tacoma ExtCab 2.4L 5spd 2WD - 355k mile Speed support vehicle.
2004 Olds Alero ECOtec 2.2 - Broken (since Christmas 2015 and I really need to get rid of it)
History:
2008 GSX-R 1000 - Stolen (With several runs past 180, I'd probably be dead by now if it wasn't stolen. So in a way, I'm thankful.)
1988 RX-7 TII - Sold (Megasquirt, streetport, filter-on-turbo SRI, custom TBE, 20psi boost creep on OE turbo, OE TMIC on ice, 13.467 @ 105.44)
1985 Camaro - Sold (est. 265bhp 5.7 swap, Edelbrock intake & Hooker headers)
Fstrnyou is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fstrnyou For This Useful Post:
soaptray (11-11-2017)
 Old 11-10-2017, 09:20 PM   #15

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Fstrnyou View Post
Do a leak down test with the radiator cap removed. See what happens.
Will grab these testers tomorrow and try it out. Leak down and compression.

Thanks!

Old 11-10-2017, 09:38 PM   #16

5doorsoffury is the leader of the world5doorsoffury is the leader of the world5doorsoffury is the leader of the world5doorsoffury is the leader of the world5doorsoffury is the leader of the world5doorsoffury is the leader of the world5doorsoffury is the leader of the world5doorsoffury is the leader of the world5doorsoffury is the leader of the world5doorsoffury is the leader of the world5doorsoffury is the leader of the world
Groans: 74
Groaned at 9 Times in 8 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

OK SO... First and foremost is listen to what everyone has said so far.
Second answer to meth is yes yes yes yes. Only e85 is better them meth IMHO.

Its a dog until 4k then the smiles start! The mazda flange sucks unless your stock block..... That brings me to my next point..

Build the block...

Build it.

I beat the ever living shit out of my car and all it does is say sorry ill do better next time.... and it does!

I mean wtf if that wont do it i don't know what will...
PTE 5858 Vband .82ar // Tial EWG // CPE Mani // 3" Turboback // JBR Under route hot pipe // MD ST mani+spacer with PI // Siemens 60lb Injectors // Splitsecond inj controller // JBR 88 duro RMM/TMM // MD PMM // TWM Full replacement shifter // JBR CC // Autotech FP Internals // SP63 SB/Manley rods SP63 pro pistons // Treadstone FMIC TR824 // FoMoCo Tranny Jizz // South Bend Clutch Stage 3 enduro// GFB Respons // FJ 4" intake // WMI 100% VPM1 // Air Lift 1000 in rear // N2MB WOT BOX
Rfinkle tune in progress

The Brooklyn beater: 2005 1.8 Auto Sentra

5doorsoffury is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 11-11-2017, 04:14 AM   #17

mituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by 5doorsoffury View Post
Second answer to meth is yes yes yes yes. Only e85 is better them meth IMHO.
No it's not. Meth offers the same knock protection plus:
  • cooling of the boosted charge
  • cooling of the cylinders during the exhaust stroke

E85 (or in-tank meth) will provide the same knock protection and will allow for pretty much the same timing advance but without the two mentioned above benefits.

The only downside of the meth compared to E is that you need to fill and keep an eye on the level of another reservoir.
However, filling the meth tank with just distilled water if you cant find meth or isopropyl alcohol is a lot easier and will allow for pretty much the same boost and still a bit more aggressive timing than with just straight pump gas compared to the situation when you can't find E and you have to run a shitty tune for whatever crappy gas you need to fill with.

If you can do both meth and ethanol mix then do both, but add meth anyway even if you spray just distilled water.
Bilstein B12 + CS Camber plates + Eibach camber arms, SSR Type-F, Michelin PS4 225/40/R18, Cobb RMM, StopTech Street Pads + Stoptech Slotted disks, SouthBend Enduro Stage3 clutch, genpu TMM + CS Insert, TheSpeedLine 2X Rear Cross Floor and Rear Middle Lower Strut bars, Tanabe 4 Point Under Brace, Whiteline Bumpsteeer corection kit
JBR Tru-3" + CS CAI Box, SU TMIC, Cobb XLE, NGK LTR7IX, UR v3 catted DP and res&catted TP, Cobb CatBack, GS EBCS, Autotech internals, GTX3071, CS 3.5BAR, Guardian Angel, CoolingMist WMI, VCTS Delete, stock ported IM
SP63 87.5mm 4032 9.5:1 pistons, Manley rods, CA625+ head studs, Clevite AL main bearings, King rod bearings, CP-e safe seals, DCR VVT, Koyorad radiator.

GTX2867R gen2, stock spark plugs, stock intake, stock cats and stock exhaust FTW
self-Versatuned to 22PSI
The Following User Says Thank You to mituc For This Useful Post:
Djohns (11-11-2017)
 Old 11-11-2017, 04:42 AM   #18

Djohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,511 Times in 1,370 Posts
Groans: 112
Not Ranked  0 score     

How has no one noticed that he has the xs power mani which has a Mazda flange but his 3076 looks like it’s rocking a Vband. And btw, stratified sucks. He used to be a solid tuner but he kinda gave up on the speed platform to focus on the ST.

EDIT: nevermind I see what I was looking at now, that would be an EWG turbo, that’ll be interesting since you have an ewg mani.
The go: Depo racing: downpipe (100 cell count), custom: FMIC. HTP: 3.5" intake, under route piping. JBR: shortshifter, RSB. Autotech: HPFP internals. Go fast bits: hybrid BPV, VMR: 18x8.5 V710s, Bridgestone: potenza re760 245/40/18, KW: v3 coilovers,SPC: camber arms, freektuned, Damond Motorsports: dual OCC, PMM, PCV plate, RMM, TMM, EGR delete, FoSt mani, Corksport: battery box(fuck this thing), injector seals, Cobb: EBCS, AP v3. AEM: methanol. Seibon: carbon fiber hood. UR: catback. Bosch: 3bar. BNR: s4, DNP: EWG manifold, Tial: 38mm mvs EWG.

The show: 5% tint all around, 50% tint windshield, rally armor mudflaps, Sony XAV64BT touchscreen headunit, katskin leather interior, CPE relocation plate, Maisonvi weighted shift knob, Corksport hoodscoop, black housing headlights.

Soon:built motor
Djohns is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 11-12-2017, 12:16 PM   #19

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

I am in the Toronto Area - haven't really found a source for E85, so it looks like meth will be in the near future. I do have Petro 94 Octane nearby which is not the worst gas in the world.

Here are some pics of the goodies going on... also, the coolant level. I have a compression test and leak down test kit arriving tomorrow... will do those tests first to see where I stand.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3557.jpg (1.71 MB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3555.jpg (1.92 MB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3558.jpg (1.32 MB, 9 views)

Old 11-12-2017, 05:19 PM   #20

5doorsoffury is the leader of the world5doorsoffury is the leader of the world5doorsoffury is the leader of the world5doorsoffury is the leader of the world5doorsoffury is the leader of the world5doorsoffury is the leader of the world5doorsoffury is the leader of the world5doorsoffury is the leader of the world5doorsoffury is the leader of the world5doorsoffury is the leader of the world5doorsoffury is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

No it's not. Meth offers the same knock protection plus:
  • cooling of the boosted charge
  • cooling of the cylinders during the exhaust stroke

E85 (or in-tank meth) will provide the same knock protection and will allow for pretty much the same timing advance but without the two mentioned above benefits.

The only downside of the meth compared to E is that you need to fill and keep an eye on the level of another reservoir.
However, filling the meth tank with just distilled water if you cant find meth or isopropyl alcohol is a lot easier and will allow for pretty much the same boost and still a bit more aggressive timing than with just straight pump gas compared to the situation when you can't find E and you have to run a shitty tune for whatever crappy gas you need to fill with.

If you can do both meth and ethanol mix then do both, but add meth anyway even if you spray just distilled water.
I like e85 because,

I dont have to worry about a meth pump failure. I dont have to worry about my nozzle clogging. I dont have to worry about the quality of my install failing. I dont have to worry about RUNNING OUT MID RUN. I dont have to worry about hydro locking my engine. I get the benefits of the latent heat of vaporization that ethonol provides during cruising to prevent LSPI. If i cant get e85 i switch tunes. Sorry but i would run corn over spraying meth but then again its just My Honest Opinion.
Fstrnyou likes this.
PTE 5858 Vband .82ar // Tial EWG // CPE Mani // 3" Turboback // JBR Under route hot pipe // MD ST mani+spacer with PI // Siemens 60lb Injectors // Splitsecond inj controller // JBR 88 duro RMM/TMM // MD PMM // TWM Full replacement shifter // JBR CC // Autotech FP Internals // SP63 SB/Manley rods SP63 pro pistons // Treadstone FMIC TR824 // FoMoCo Tranny Jizz // South Bend Clutch Stage 3 enduro// GFB Respons // FJ 4" intake // WMI 100% VPM1 // Air Lift 1000 in rear // N2MB WOT BOX
Rfinkle tune in progress

Old 11-13-2017, 01:11 AM   #21

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by 5doorsoffury View Post
I like e85 because,

I dont have to worry about a meth pump failure. I dont have to worry about my nozzle clogging. I dont have to worry about the quality of my install failing. I dont have to worry about RUNNING OUT MID RUN. I dont have to worry about hydro locking my engine. I get the benefits of the latent heat of vaporization that ethonol provides during cruising to prevent LSPI. If i cant get e85 i switch tunes. Sorry but i would run corn over spraying meth but then again its just My Honest Opinion.
With the failsave mechanisms these days you will know when the pump will fail or the nozzle will clog or when you will run out of juice.
LSPI is common in engines that have a lot of deposits which are addressed by meth when you spray. So you need to drive a few tens thousandth miles without triggering the meth to get those deposits. Yet you can still get LSPI with low/mid ethanol mixes, especially if you run not aggressive enough timing to burn everything off.

Speaking about deposits... ethanol mixes will not address the intake valve clogging.

Also, with meth you don't have to worry about HPFP failure which occasionally happens when using high concentrations of ethanol (>50%).
Past some power levels you need to go PI with ethanol, that can be postponed probably 100-150 horsepower later with meth.

So there are a lot of pros and cons for each approach, but overall I still think meth is better, easier to use and is available everywhere and you don't have to worry about not finding it when travelling cross country.

self-Versatuned to 22PSI
 Old 11-13-2017, 02:40 AM   #22

Not Ranked  0 score     

With the failsave mechanisms these days you will know when the pump will fail or the nozzle will clog or when you will run out of juice.
LSPI is common in engines that have a lot of deposits which are addressed by meth when you spray. So you need to drive a few tens thousandth miles without triggering the meth to get those deposits. Yet you can still get LSPI with low/mid ethanol mixes, especially if you run not aggressive enough timing to burn everything off.

Speaking about deposits... ethanol mixes will not address the intake valve clogging.

Also, with meth you don't have to worry about HPFP failure which occasionally happens when using high concentrations of ethanol (>50%).
Past some power levels you need to go PI with ethanol, that can be postponed probably 100-150 horsepower later with meth.

So there are a lot of pros and cons for each approach, but overall I still think meth is better, easier to use and is available everywhere and you don't have to worry about not finding it when travelling cross country.
I put the nozzle in the tank and i drive away. Thats easy to me. I understand why you like meth but i dont agree with you. I am biased since my boost switch stuck on after a pull and meth was pouring in to the motor. Luckely i wired a relay to a kill switch in the cabin. A failsafe would not of helped me in a controler/switch failure since it would be part of what failed.

Sorry to muddle up the build thread with meth/e85 banter.
Rfinkle tune in progress

Old 01-15-2018, 01:30 PM   #23

gotovato is a name known to allgotovato is a name known to allgotovato is a name known to allgotovato is a name known to allgotovato is a name known to allgotovato is a name known to all
Not Ranked  0 score     

any build update? curious to see how another locals big turbo build turns out!
2011 ms3 Cobb AP, Forge bypass valve, HPFP internals, Cobb downpipe, Custom fmic w/mishimoto core, Cobb RMM, Cobb EBC, KW coilovers, whiteline RSB, stop tech fluid, stop tech SS brake lines, hawk HP+ pads, ACT 6 puck clutch, ATP 3071r, HTP 3.5" intake, Damond catch can, TunedbyNishan
gotovato is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 01-15-2018, 02:40 PM   #24

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by gotovato View Post
any build update? curious to see how another locals big turbo build turns out!
Same here! How much power you making on that 3071r? You on stock bottom end no issues?
 Old 01-15-2018, 02:50 PM   #25

gotovato is a name known to allgotovato is a name known to allgotovato is a name known to allgotovato is a name known to allgotovato is a name known to allgotovato is a name known to all
Not Ranked  0 score     

Same here! How much power you making on that 3071r? You on stock bottom end no issues?
I'm on the stock bottom end still yea. Car made 310whp and 350wtorque at 18psi. My ACT street clutch was slipping real bad on the dyno so that's where my tune ended last spring. Over the summer I upgraded to a act 6 puck. I'm still on the factory cat back which I know is killing my top end. This spring when the car comes out to play I'll be going with a full 3" from my downpipe, and a retune from a different tuner in the area. Cars being setup for CSCS so the new tune will be pretty laid back as I'm aiming more for safety but with the new clutch, better tune, and proper exhaust I should pick up some more HP without a problem I hope!
2011 ms3 Cobb AP, Forge bypass valve, HPFP internals, Cobb downpipe, Custom fmic w/mishimoto core, Cobb RMM, Cobb EBC, KW coilovers, whiteline RSB, stop tech fluid, stop tech SS brake lines, hawk HP+ pads, ACT 6 puck clutch, ATP 3071r, HTP 3.5" intake, Damond catch can, TunedbyNishan
 Old 01-15-2018, 06:17 PM   #26

Not Ranked  0 score     

I'm on the stock bottom end still yea. Car made 310whp and 350wtorque at 18psi. My ACT street clutch was slipping real bad on the dyno so that's where my tune ended last spring. Over the summer I upgraded to a act 6 puck. I'm still on the factory cat back which I know is killing my top end. This spring when the car comes out to play I'll be going with a full 3" from my downpipe, and a retune from a different tuner in the area. Cars being setup for CSCS so the new tune will be pretty laid back as I'm aiming more for safety but with the new clutch, better tune, and proper exhaust I should pick up some more HP without a problem I hope!
Did you get tuned at APH? Are you getting boost creep with the 3071r in cold temps?
 Old 01-15-2018, 06:31 PM   #27

Not Ranked  0 score     

I am in the Toronto Area - haven't really found a source for E85, so it looks like meth will be in the near future. I do have Petro 94 Octane nearby which is not the worst gas in the world.
In tank methanol is a pretty good alternative, but most wouldn't recommend anything more than 2 gallons due to it's corrosive properties. It also eats up a tonne of injector headroom. Did someone say 6th port?
 Old 01-15-2018, 06:50 PM   #28

Not Ranked  0 score     

Did you get tuned at APH? Are you getting boost creep with the 3071r in cold temps?
I was tuned at Neetronics. Did a decent job I feel but I'm going with someone else this year. No boost creep issues yet but the car was parked for the winter so it never saw much below 0.
 Old 01-16-2018, 07:54 AM   #29

Not Ranked  0 score     

Not to bash local tuners but have you considered an etune? All the tuners on this forum are pushing big power and know the platform the best.
 Old 01-16-2018, 08:02 AM   #30

Fstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the world
Groans: 20
Groaned at 6 Times in 5 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Hey! I'm a local tuner...to myself. No matter where I am, I am always local to me.
Versatuner, 3-bar MAP, ITV22, CP-e TMIC
CS Turbo/DP/RP/HPFP/BPV/R-DiffMount
White Widow F-DiffMount, Whiteline RSB
Rear Russian Bushings, Poly FSB Bushings Magnaflow CBE, ACT 6-puck/Streetlite
JBR Tru-3.5/3-port EBCS/EGR-D
Damond RMM/PMM/OCC/PCV Plate
Other rides:
2002 Tacoma ExtCab 2.4L 5spd 2WD - 355k mile Speed support vehicle.
2004 Olds Alero ECOtec 2.2 - Broken (since Christmas 2015 and I really need to get rid of it)
History:
2008 GSX-R 1000 - Stolen (With several runs past 180, I'd probably be dead by now if it wasn't stolen. So in a way, I'm thankful.)
1988 RX-7 TII - Sold (Megasquirt, streetport, filter-on-turbo SRI, custom TBE, 20psi boost creep on OE turbo, OE TMIC on ice, 13.467 @ 105.44)
1985 Camaro - Sold (est. 265bhp 5.7 swap, Edelbrock intake & Hooker headers)
Fstrnyou is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 01-16-2018, 08:43 AM   #31

Not Ranked  0 score     

Not to bash local tuners but have you considered an etune? All the tuners on this forum are pushing big power and know the platform the best.
I've thought about etuning for sure but something about a controlled dyno tune helps me feel better about what's going on. Another thing I've noticed, in general maybe not specific to the etuners on this platform but most seem only to tune for wot and Max power. I'm not aiming for max power but more max reliability with good power. The tuner I'm going with tunes a lot of road course cars which means a lot of time is spent tuning part throttle, and on a dynapack hub dyno, part throttle can be simulated very accurately and that's important to me. Max numbers dont excite me the way area under the curve does.

Last edited by gotovato; 01-16-2018 at 09:02 AM.
 Old 01-16-2018, 09:44 AM   #32

Dennisms3 has a brilliant futureDennisms3 has a brilliant futureDennisms3 has a brilliant futureDennisms3 has a brilliant futureDennisms3 has a brilliant futureDennisms3 has a brilliant futureDennisms3 has a brilliant futureDennisms3 has a brilliant futureDennisms3 has a brilliant futureDennisms3 has a brilliant futureDennisms3 has a brilliant future
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I've thought about etuning for sure but something about a controlled dyno tune helps me feel better about what's going on. Another thing I've noticed, in general maybe not specific to the etuners on this platform but most seem only to tune for wot and Max power. I'm not aiming for max power but more max reliability with good power. The tuner I'm going with tunes a lot of road course cars which means a lot of time is spent tuning part throttle, and on a dynapack hub dyno, part throttle can be simulated very accurately and that's important to me. Max numbers dont excite me the way area under the curve does.

I would recommend you do an etune with TunedByNishan. He etuned my speed3 about a month ago and my car has never felt better. He also tunes it for part throttle which makes the car very pleasant to drive in the city or just cruising. If your not shooting for high whp then you can always let him know and he will keep the power lower.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dennisms3 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 01-16-2018, 09:48 AM   #33

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Dennisms3 View Post
I would recommend you do an etune with TunedByNishan. He etuned my speed3 about a month ago and my car has never felt better. He also tunes it for part throttle which makes the car very pleasant to drive in the city or just cruising. If your not shooting for high whp then you can always let him know and he will keep the power lower.

thanks for the input ill definitely consider it! its not that i dont want high whp, its that i dont want to give up safety for it. what the car makes the car makes, im not one to push another pound of boost, or add another degree of timing to chase every last HP if that means im driving a ticking time bomb.
 Old 01-16-2018, 09:51 AM   #34

Dennisms3 has a brilliant futureDennisms3 has a brilliant futureDennisms3 has a brilliant futureDennisms3 has a brilliant futureDennisms3 has a brilliant futureDennisms3 has a brilliant futureDennisms3 has a brilliant futureDennisms3 has a brilliant futureDennisms3 has a brilliant futureDennisms3 has a brilliant futureDennisms3 has a brilliant future
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

thanks for the input ill definitely consider it! its not that i dont want high whp, its that i dont want to give up safety for it. what the car makes the car makes, im not one to push another pound of boost, or add another degree of timing to chase every last HP if that means im driving a ticking time bomb.

Nishan knows what he's doing. He knows when to cap the car at what boost lvls and timing, not to mention he's super helpful and quick to response.

Dennisms3 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 01-16-2018, 09:57 AM   #35

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Dennisms3 View Post
Nishan knows what he's doing. He knows when to cap the car at what boost lvls and timing, not to mention he's super helpful and quick to response.

perfect. ill reach out to him and see what he could do for me. cars currently parked for the winter though so nothing can really happen till spring
 Old 06-04-2018, 10:05 AM   #36

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Okay, so finally got some time to start addressing the issue with my coolant leak. I am midway through tearing off the top end. Praying for a blown head gasket.

I did find that my CDFP was leaking a bit of oil through the gasket... so will be replacing that gasket along with the others.

Throttle body is off, and just about ready to pull the intake manifold off. Man, is that thing ever full of gunk... makes me want to do an EGR delete... but I live in a province where we have yearly smog certification... so that kinda puts a damper in things.

I wonder how much the OCC has helped since it was installed 20-30k ago.

None the less, will be cleaning everything I take off thoroughly before reinstalling.

Not looking forward to taking the timing chain and cams out - a bit worried about getting everything back in without screwing up timing.

Here are a few pics of the progress. Don't mind the grime - haven't done much cleaning yet and it was pretty gunky around the fuel pump.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0719.jpg (2.40 MB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0720.jpg (2.26 MB, 11 views)

Old 06-04-2018, 12:37 PM   #37

Jeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the world
Groans: 1
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

If you need to lift the head, you will need the timing tools ,timing steps and parts replacement needed. Unless you mark everything down very carefully (Chain on gears+ gears on cams) as cam and crank are keyless. Dont forget all friction washers and pulley bolt are junk after being used once. While doing it, i would replace the chain as it tend to stretch over time.

HOW-TO VVT

2007 rusted Speed6... in progress...
1993 Ford Probe KLZE 143dB
2012 Mazda3 Gs-sky 6.5l/100 when transporting speed parts
1989 GM 6.2 diesel pickup
Wife drive 2010 CX7

2007 speed3 burned (i'm proud to ran 12.7s with it)

...Because French Canadian...
Jeff23spl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff23spl For This Useful Post:
soaptray (06-05-2018)
 Old 06-04-2018, 02:37 PM   #38

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

I have the friction washers in my cart - was waiting until I finished pulling everything apart to see what else needed replacing. Didn't have the chain or pulley bolt on my list - will look into those.

Need to do a bit more reading on the timing chain it seems.

Thank you.

Old 06-05-2018, 02:56 PM   #39

Jeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the world
Groans: 1
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

To avoid bent valves and the need to practice the same job again, don't skip steps with the timing stuff.

2007 rusted Speed6... in progress...
1993 Ford Probe KLZE 143dB
2012 Mazda3 Gs-sky 6.5l/100 when transporting speed parts
1989 GM 6.2 diesel pickup
Wife drive 2010 CX7

2007 speed3 burned (i'm proud to ran 12.7s with it)

...Because French Canadian...
Jeff23spl is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 06-05-2018, 04:21 PM   #40

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

In most cases when you open this up as a result of another job, should I replace any of:

- VVT Actuator Gear
- Chain Tensioner
- Chain Guide / Tensioner Guides

Thanks again!