register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Build Diaries

MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Build Diaries MazdaSpeed 3/6 - General Build Threads/Diaries

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 10-06-2017, 05:48 PM   #1

mindys is an unknown quantity at this point
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default '06 Mazdaspeed 6 build for daily use

So, this is the first time I will be doing one of these post, so bear with me.

Two weeks ago on a Sunday I bought a 2006 Mazdaspeed 6 with 103k miles that lost compression on one of the cylinders. The car was 3 hours (around 180 miles) away from my location. So I called the guy up, asked to send me a few pictures, made a deal for $1,500 and arranged a meeting time.

I am keeping the car at my buddy's place because he has a large garage and I don't, so I also asked him if we could use his F150 and a trailer to get the car back home. He borrowed a trailer from one his friends and off we went. On the way there, we got pulled over by a cop because we almost lost one of the ramps from the trailer, and this set the stage for the rest of the day.

We got to the guys place, looked over the car, drove it, loaded it and were back on our way home. We decided to grab some food, so we stopped in town after driving maybe 10 miles. I looked at the trailer because I saw the car was sitting weird and found this:

Trailer was cracking because it was improperly welded. Luckily it didn't break while on the way home. So, I decided to drive the car back on three cylinders. Stopped for gas, picked up a few quarts of oil, filled up the tires with air and was on my way. Trip back took us about 5 hours because the car was burning through about a quart of oil every 50 miles, but the car is at his garage and is currently being disassembled for the engine removal. It took 5 quarts to get the car back.

The plan is to rebuild and reseal the engine, replace all the piston rings and see what kind of damage there is on cylinder 3. So far the other issues with the car are a leaking AC, three bad front LCA ball joint boots, CD player does not work and the driver side door panel has a melted region because the window switch melted. Luckily, the guy put in a new switch, but it still doesn't work. Other issues with the engine include a leaking oil pan and a stripped oil drain plug thread. The rear arches do have rust developing on them, too.

This car will be my full time winter vehicle and will share daily driving responsibilities with my 2015 Mustang GT PP. I do not plan on building the engine or adding much more power to the car (that is reserved for the Mustang). I may throw in H-beams into the engine just so the connecting rods are not a worry if the car gets a torque increase.

Anyways, here are some pictures of it. I should have the engine out of it this Sunday! Stay tuned

mindys is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 10-06-2017, 06:23 PM   #2

Djohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,389 Times in 1,289 Posts
Groans: 99
Groaned at 7 Times in 6 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Welp if you plan on doing rods you're going to have to do Pistons unless you plan on getting those fancy Carrillo rods that cost about 1k.
The go: Depo racing: downpipe (100 cell count), custom: FMIC. HTP: 3.5" intake, under route piping. JBR: shortshifter, RSB. Autotech: HPFP internals. Go fast bits: hybrid BPV, VMR: 18x8.5 V710s, Bridgestone: potenza re760 245/40/18, KW: v3 coilovers,SPC: camber arms, freektuned, Damond Motorsports: dual OCC, PMM, PCV plate, RMM, TMM, EGR delete, FoSt mani, Corksport: battery box(fuck this thing), injector seals, Cobb: EBCS, AP v3. AEM: methanol. Seibon: carbon fiber hood. UR: catback. Bosch: 3bar. BNR: s4, DNP: EWG manifold, Tial: 38mm mvs EWG.

The show: 5% tint all around, 50% tint windshield, rally armor mudflaps, Sony XAV64BT touchscreen headunit, katskin leather interior, CPE relocation plate, Maisonvi weighted shift knob, Corksport hoodscoop, black housing headlights.

Soon:built motor
Djohns is online now   Reply With Quote
 Old 10-06-2017, 06:45 PM   #3

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Djohns View Post
Welp if you plan on doing rods you're going to have to do Pistons unless you plan on getting those fancy Carrillo rods that cost about 1k.
Oh so I cannot use the Manleys with the stock pistons huh? Got ya.
 Old 10-06-2017, 06:52 PM   #4

Djohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by mindys View Post
Oh so I cannot use the Manleys with the stock pistons huh? Got ya.
Nope.
The go: Depo racing: downpipe (100 cell count), custom: FMIC. HTP: 3.5" intake, under route piping. JBR: shortshifter, RSB. Autotech: HPFP internals. Go fast bits: hybrid BPV, VMR: 18x8.5 V710s, Bridgestone: potenza re760 245/40/18, KW: v3 coilovers,SPC: camber arms, freektuned, Damond Motorsports: dual OCC, PMM, PCV plate, RMM, TMM, EGR delete, FoSt mani, Corksport: battery box(fuck this thing), injector seals, Cobb: EBCS, AP v3. AEM: methanol. Seibon: carbon fiber hood. UR: catback. Bosch: 3bar. BNR: s4, DNP: EWG manifold, Tial: 38mm mvs EWG.

The show: 5% tint all around, 50% tint windshield, rally armor mudflaps, Sony XAV64BT touchscreen headunit, katskin leather interior, CPE relocation plate, Maisonvi weighted shift knob, Corksport hoodscoop, black housing headlights.

Old 10-08-2017, 07:10 AM   #5

BN00249 is a splendid one to beholdBN00249 is a splendid one to beholdBN00249 is a splendid one to beholdBN00249 is a splendid one to beholdBN00249 is a splendid one to beholdBN00249 is a splendid one to beholdBN00249 is a splendid one to beholdBN00249 is a splendid one to behold
Not Ranked  0 score     

Little more research. Canít remember off top of my head but some rods will fit with a little grinding.
The width of aftermarket rods where wrist pin is are wider than the oe pistons allow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 Old 10-09-2017, 07:14 AM   #6

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by BN00249 View Post
Little more research. Canít remember off top of my head but some rods will fit with a little grinding.
The width of aftermarket rods where wrist pin is are wider than the oe pistons allow.

Got you. Yeah, I need to do a bit more research and see how much the stock rods can hold. I may end up just using stock internals because I do not plan on increasing power that much. I think my upper limit would be 285-300 whp, but I'm more worried about the torque.
 Old 10-09-2017, 08:27 AM   #7

BN00249 is a splendid one to beholdBN00249 is a splendid one to beholdBN00249 is a splendid one to beholdBN00249 is a splendid one to beholdBN00249 is a splendid one to beholdBN00249 is a splendid one to beholdBN00249 is a splendid one to beholdBN00249 is a splendid one to behold
Not Ranked  0 score     

Stock rods will hold a lot. Lots of people are making well over 300. Just need to tune to ensure youíre not cramming a shit ton of boost into engine below 3k rpm. Ease into boost after 3k. Youíll be fine.

mindys (10-09-2017)
 Old 10-09-2017, 10:45 AM   #8

Thor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the world
Groans: 71
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

Its not much more to go with forged internals. I would. But to each his own.

Nice find. Looks great other than the rust. Nice and straight. Where are you located?
2007 MS6- H&R Coilovers/ C-PE Catted DP/Corksport HPFP Internals/ AEM CAI/ ETS TMIC/ CPE Austenite Dual CBE/ CPE TIH/ Synapse Synchronic/ Freektuned/ AP Short Shifter/ AWR RMM and OEM TMM with CS Inserts/ Southbend Stage 2 Endurance/Stop Tech Slotted Rear and DBA T3 4000 Series Front with EBC Reds/CPE xFlex Rear Diff Mount/ Whiteline Rear Sway Bar/DSS Level 2.9 Rear Axles

Waiting for Install: Damond OCC/ CS Injector Seals/ WMI/ Torque Solutions Shifter base bushings
Thor Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 10-09-2017, 02:03 PM   #9

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Thor Hammer View Post
Its not much more to go with forged internals. I would. But to each his own.

Nice find. Looks great other than the rust. Nice and straight. Where are you located?
I think I should be completely fine with the stock internals because this car will not be a power monster. I just want it to be a reliable daily driver (reliable with an asterisk), so my modifications will be very minimal, which should not stress the stock rods or pistons at all.

Thanks! Yeah other than the rust on the arches the car looks pretty good! I'm located in the Chicago area.
 Old 10-09-2017, 02:37 PM   #10

Not Ranked  0 score     

I think I should be completely fine with the stock internals because this car will not be a power monster. I just want it to be a reliable daily driver (reliable with an asterisk), so my modifications will be very minimal, which should not stress the stock rods or pistons at all.

Thanks! Yeah other than the rust on the arches the car looks pretty good! I'm located in the Chicago area.
Ahh a local eh? What Chicago area?

Old 10-09-2017, 03:36 PM   #11

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Ahh a local eh? What Chicago area?
Not too far off from you. I'm in Orland Park.
 Old 10-09-2017, 03:51 PM   #12

Not Ranked  0 score     

Not too far off from you. I'm in Orland Park.
Ah okay I have family there.

Old 10-09-2017, 08:00 PM   #13

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Finally. Now just need need to start ripping the engine apart:

Old 10-10-2017, 04:47 AM   #14

kevace1 is on a distinguished road
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

Looking cool man. Great find. Ive been meaning to grab one of these myself. Im a current owner of a 2009 6 with aboht 170k on it, and not a lick of an issue at all. So i dont think reliability shoild be an issue.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk
kevace1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kevace1 For This Useful Post:
mindys (10-10-2017)
 Old 10-11-2017, 05:30 PM   #15

Shottachris is infamous around these partsShottachris is infamous around these partsShottachris is infamous around these partsShottachris is infamous around these partsShottachris is infamous around these partsShottachris is infamous around these partsShottachris is infamous around these partsShottachris is infamous around these partsShottachris is infamous around these partsShottachris is infamous around these partsShottachris is infamous around these parts
Groaned at 64 Times in 26 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Nice build

2011 speed 3 GT daily driver
Mods: big turbo , fuel internals , sure short shifter , forge BOV , FMIC , JBR motor mounts all around , BC coil overs , staggered advan wheels 18 x9.5 25+ offset front 18x 10.5 15+ offset rear , 3in catless down pipe , occ , Custom 3inch intake , Cobb strut bar ,Cobb v3 ,vtcs delete stock intake mani ,
Shottachris is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say NO Thank You to Shottachris For This Un-useful Post:
Djohns (10-25-2017), Pu Manchu (10-11-2017), zenit (10-12-2017)
 Old 10-25-2017, 04:41 AM   #16

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

A little update. Got everything apart and found a bit more damage than I anticipated. This is the piston from cylinder 3 (no compression cylinder):

An entire chunk of the ringland is gone. No surprise there, this was what I was kinda expecting.

Now what I was not expecting is cracks between the top two rings on pistons 2 and 4 (which had good compression):

Basically, will be replacing all four pistons even though piston 1 is ok, but I bet it would fail soon too. Will most likely go stock just because I am not planning on large power ever being put out by this engine. Luckily, bore on cylinder 3 is not damaged too bad, just a few scratches that I cannot even feel with my fingernail:

Sadly, two bearing surfaces on the crankshaft have a bit of marring, but hopefully the machine shop I will be taking the head and block to will be able to fix it.
 Old 10-25-2017, 07:35 AM   #17

Not Ranked  0 score     

Well hate to be the one to say it but you’ll need aftermarket overbore pistons if you plan on using that block. Those cylinders will need to be bored out to fix the damage. Even if there wasn’t damage I’m betting those cylinders probably wouldn’t be within spec for an oem piston anyway just due to mileage.

Old 10-25-2017, 10:26 AM   #18

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Well hate to be the one to say it but youíll need aftermarket overbore pistons if you plan on using that block. Those cylinders will need to be bored out to fix the damage. Even if there wasnít damage Iím betting those cylinders probably wouldnít be within spec for an oem piston anyway just due to mileage.
I will have the machine shop check the bore sizes. If they are out of spec, I will look into what is the cheaper option. I do not know how much a used block is (assuming somewhere around the $500-700 dollar range), but in the end it may be cheaper and more worth it getting mine overbored to 88 mm and get matching pistons and connecting rods.
 Old 10-25-2017, 07:55 PM   #19

Not Ranked  0 score     

Pffff. Dingleball hone and chuck Ďer back together.

No seriously though. Machine shop. Ensure the sleeves are all ok. You donít want to screw around with it if one or more of the sleeves are cracked or something.
And ya used bare block should be able to find in that price range but that also comes with risks as well.

mindys (11-01-2017)
 Old 11-01-2017, 04:36 PM   #20

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Alright boys, got the head, cams, crank and block to a machine shop today. They will get it measured up and make suggestions. I'm not too happy about the journals for the cams and the crank.

By the looks of it the cylinders will be over bored to 88 mm so I am looking for new pistons. Your suggestions are welcome.

Right now I am thinking the SP63 4032 pistons and Manley H-beams. I think that 4032 material pistons will be the best choice for me to be daily driven. Any other suggestions? Doesn't seem like much choice for 4032.
 Old 11-01-2017, 04:42 PM   #21

Not Ranked  0 score     

Exact set up I’m going with.

Old 11-01-2017, 05:11 PM   #22

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Exact set up Iím going with.
Nice! It seems like that is the best piston solution for a daily driver. For it will be overkill for my application, but it will good to have the reassurance that the engine can hold a lot more power than stock (when I get the HPFP internals). When swapping pistons and rods and keeping the compression ratio the same, no retune is necessary, correct?
 Old 11-01-2017, 05:12 PM   #23

Not Ranked  0 score     

Nice! It seems like that is the best piston solution for a daily driver. For it will be overkill for my application, but it will good to have the reassurance that the engine can hold a lot more power than stock (when I get the HPFP internals). When swapping pistons and rods and keeping the compression ratio the same, no retune is necessary, correct?
I mean technically no, but I would definitely get it tuned since the stock tune is garbage and I assume you would want your newly built motor to run as efficiently as possible?

The Following User Says Thank You to Djohns For This Useful Post:
mindys (11-01-2017)
 Old 11-01-2017, 05:18 PM   #24

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

I mean technically no, but I would definitely get it tuned since the stock tune is garbage and I assume you would want your newly built motor to run as efficiently as possible?
You got a point there. I will consider it once I get the car running again. Thanks for your continual input.
 Old 11-03-2017, 06:04 AM   #25

Rose City Speed6 is a glorious beacon of lightRose City Speed6 is a glorious beacon of lightRose City Speed6 is a glorious beacon of lightRose City Speed6 is a glorious beacon of lightRose City Speed6 is a glorious beacon of light
Groaned at 3 Times in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

Good luck with the build.

Sorry to rain on your parade, but the front of the trailer was overloaded. The tongue weight must have been very high because the car was much too far forward.
Rose City Speed6 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 11-03-2017, 06:22 AM   #26

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Rose City Speed6 View Post
Good luck with the build.

Sorry to rain on your parade, but the front of the trailer was overloaded. The tongue weight must have been very high because the car was much too far forward.
Possibly. This trailer was already damaged before and was not welded fully as per the owner. We loaded the car as well as we could. There was not much space left in the rear, so I doubt we could have loaded any better. Either way, it's a moot point now. Definitely a learning experience.
 Old 11-03-2017, 07:06 AM   #27

mituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,012 Times in 1,153 Posts
Groans: 101
Groaned at 15 Times in 12 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Right now I am thinking the SP63 4032 pistons and Manley H-beams. I think that 4032 material pistons will be the best choice for me to be daily driven. Any other suggestions? Doesn't seem like much choice for 4032.
Just order them, I think it's the best choice for daily driven medium power cars.
Bilstein B12 + CS Camber plates + Eibach camber arms, SSR Type-F, Michelin PSS 225/40/R18, Cobb RMM, StopTech Street Pads + Stoptech Slotted disks, SouthBend ENduro Stage3 clutch, genpu TMM + CS Insert, TheSpeedLine 2X Rear Cross Floor and Rear Middle Lower Strut bars, Tanabe 4 Point Under Brace, Whiteline Bumpsteeer corection kit
JBR Tru-3" + CS CAI Box, SU TMIC, Cobb XLE, NGK LTR7IX, UR v3 catted DP and res TP, Cobb CatBack, GS EBCS, Autotech internals, GTX3071, CS 3.5BAR, Guardian Angel, CoolingMist WMI
SP63 87.5mm 4032 9.5:1 pistons, Manley rods, CA625+ head studs, Clevite AL main bearings, King rod bearings, CP-e safe seals, DCR VVT, Koyorad radiator.
StratiVersaTuned FTW
mituc is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 11-03-2017, 08:59 AM   #28

Rose City Speed6 is a glorious beacon of lightRose City Speed6 is a glorious beacon of lightRose City Speed6 is a glorious beacon of lightRose City Speed6 is a glorious beacon of lightRose City Speed6 is a glorious beacon of light
Groaned at 3 Times in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

Possibly. This trailer was already damaged before and was not welded fully as per the owner. We loaded the car as well as we could. There was not much space left in the rear, so I doubt we could have loaded any better. Either way, it's a moot point now. Definitely a learning experience.
The trailer looks well-used. Perhaps corrosion was a factor, too. At least nothing happened.
Rose City Speed6 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 11-03-2017, 05:51 PM   #29

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by mituc View Post
Just order them, I think it's the best choice for daily driven medium power cars.
Will do next week once I get the results from the machine shop.
 Old 11-14-2017, 11:14 AM   #30

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Well, I have some new things to consider:

Since I do not plan on increasing the power much, I could just get OE replacements pistons and rods that the machinist is suggesting as an alternative for $250. It is difficult to justify $1000 for pistons and rods that are meant for power levels that I will never run on this car. Need to consider my options.
 Old 11-14-2017, 11:59 AM   #31

Not Ranked  0 score     

What did the cylinders measure at? I’m shocked you’ll be able to use OE pistons and not need to bore.

Old 11-14-2017, 12:23 PM   #32

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

What did the cylinders measure at? Iím shocked youíll be able to use OE pistons and not need to bore.
Sorry, I worded it wrong. The block will be overbored and my guy is saying that he can get oversized pistons for the new bore size.
 Old 11-14-2017, 12:25 PM   #33

Not Ranked  0 score     

Sorry, I worded it wrong. The block will be overbored and my guy is saying that he can get oversized pistons for the new bore size.
Overbore OE replacement pistons? Iíve never heard of that.

Old 11-14-2017, 12:30 PM   #34

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Overbore OE replacement pistons? I’ve never heard of that.
As in OE quality. I assume what it means that it is supposed to meet the OE requirements, but quality control is probably nowhere near as good as OE.
 Old 11-14-2017, 03:14 PM   #35

mituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

As in OE quality. I assume what it means that it is supposed to meet the OE requirements, but quality control is probably nowhere near as good as OE.
No.
Simply because we don't know about it means you will most probably end up with shitty pistons, and with this stroke you simply don't want to cheap out on pistons (or anything from the rotating assembly).

Get 88mm 4032 alloy pistons.
Bilstein B12 + CS Camber plates + Eibach camber arms, SSR Type-F, Michelin PSS 225/40/R18, Cobb RMM, StopTech Street Pads + Stoptech Slotted disks, SouthBend ENduro Stage3 clutch, genpu TMM + CS Insert, TheSpeedLine 2X Rear Cross Floor and Rear Middle Lower Strut bars, Tanabe 4 Point Under Brace, Whiteline Bumpsteeer corection kit
JBR Tru-3" + CS CAI Box, SU TMIC, Cobb XLE, NGK LTR7IX, UR v3 catted DP and res TP, Cobb CatBack, GS EBCS, Autotech internals, GTX3071, CS 3.5BAR, Guardian Angel, CoolingMist WMI
SP63 87.5mm 4032 9.5:1 pistons, Manley rods, CA625+ head studs, Clevite AL main bearings, King rod bearings, CP-e safe seals, DCR VVT, Koyorad radiator.
StratiVersaTuned FTW
 Old 11-14-2017, 03:25 PM   #36

stockms3 is the leader of the worldstockms3 is the leader of the worldstockms3 is the leader of the worldstockms3 is the leader of the worldstockms3 is the leader of the worldstockms3 is the leader of the worldstockms3 is the leader of the worldstockms3 is the leader of the worldstockms3 is the leader of the worldstockms3 is the leader of the worldstockms3 is the leader of the world
Groans: 62
Groaned at 6 Times in 6 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Get quality pistons this isn't a regular 3.
2007 TR MazdaSpeed3:Autotech FP inernals, Cobb AP, Toyota Injector Seals, FR stud mod, FMIC, Fidanza flywheel/stock clutch, Forge BPV, DogBone Mounts, COBB SRI/PG Inlet pipe, Wiseco .20 Pistons/Manley Rods/BSD, DM/ebay catch cans, Koni Yellows/H&R springs, FD wheels, eBay downpipe, CNT catback

2005 Mazda 3 SP23: mod include rusty quarter panels and grinding 3rd gear. It does have a fusion motor, so I guess that's a mod too.
stockms3 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 11-14-2017, 08:37 PM   #37

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Yup will be going with SP63. Now just need to work out if I should get them treated and what are the correct PTW clearances since it seems there has been some confusion on what the correct specs are in the post here: Let's Talk About Forged Piston Alloys
 Old 11-15-2017, 08:13 AM   #38

Not Ranked  0 score     

Now just need to work out if I should get them treated
You don't need them treated in any way, they original coating is just perfect.
SP63 machines them to spec, no matter if we speak of 88mm pistons or factory sized 87.5mm pistons. I know, because I had 3 sets from them so far, all 3 flawless.
StratiVersaTuned FTW
 Old 11-15-2017, 08:44 AM   #39

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by mituc View Post
You don't need them treated in any way, they original coating is just perfect.
SP63 machines them to spec, no matter if we speak of 88mm pistons or factory sized 87.5mm pistons. I know, because I had 3 sets from them so far, all 3 flawless.
What PTW clearances did you run? I saw that a guy posted a Wiseco spec sheet in the thread that I mentioned and said that the his builder used those numbers. Did you use these too?
 Old 11-15-2017, 09:23 AM   #40

Not Ranked  0 score     

What PTW clearances did you run? I saw that a guy posted a Wiseco spec sheet in the thread that I mentioned and said that the his builder used those numbers. Did you use these too?
Noooo donít use anything a wiseco uses. Itís totally different alloys. I spoke with mahle (company who makes those pistons for SP) and I believe they recommended .025 for clearance.