register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Build Diaries

MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Build Diaries MazdaSpeed 3/6 - General Build Threads/Diaries

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 06-28-2017, 08:37 AM   #1

ajkulish is the leader of the worldajkulish is the leader of the worldajkulish is the leader of the worldajkulish is the leader of the worldajkulish is the leader of the worldajkulish is the leader of the worldajkulish is the leader of the worldajkulish is the leader of the worldajkulish is the leader of the worldajkulish is the leader of the worldajkulish is the leader of the world
Groans: 40
Groaned at 15 Times in 12 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Neutral  +1 score     
Talking AJKulish's build thread

As some of you may know, I had some shit luck and a valve seat shattered unexpectedly, mashing my piston faces and scraping up my cylinder walls. I also recently graduated and got salaried so its time to say fuck it. Lets build this thing.

Last summer I bought a 06 VRM MS6 after wrecking the genwon and fell in love. So much more sophisticated of a vehicle, IMO. It is a very clean shell, has only seen one winter, no rust, straight body, etc. So it is the perfect candidate to pour money into. I acknowledge that i will never get my money back on this thing, so I figured why not just throw money at it and really enjoy it before i move on.

My work owns and operates an engine shop, very popular in the Viper community, Arrow Racing Engines. So I took my block there for inspection and machining. I also took full advantage of the huge discount we get on parts through my employer. I believe, at this point, I have everything needed to put this build together. The purchased list is as follows

GTX3076r
Manley Rods
Manley Pistons
Stage 1 OEM rebuild kit with bolts (edge)
AEM WMI w/ Damond Motorsports spacer
ACT 6 puck sprung clutch with streelite flywheel
CX Racing FMIC
Massive speed BSD
JBR TB gasket
ATP turbo line kit
3 bar map sensor w/ harness
OEM Water pump
AEM Uego Wideband
Prosport Evo boost
Prosport Evo oil pressure with Damond motorsports adapter
3 inch intake (forgot brand)
Darton repair sleeve (for strange inclusion in bore)

I am certain that there is more, but this is this the running list i have been keeping. I also have been doing a mild port and polish on my replacement cylinder head. I put more emphasis on opening up the exhaust ports, but was more-so just port matching the intake runners. I also now have very clean valves.

The darton sleeve is to repair my #2 cylinder which had a strange hard spot in the bore. I did not want to buy a new block, so I sourced a repair sleeve from Darton. It was not an advertised part, but it does exist, in case anyone else was wondering. You can see the strange spot (ground down) in the pics below.

I am making this thread as a resource for questions that pop up, and for documentation of the whole process. If anyone sees things that i dont have listed and should, or anything like that please speak up!

Below are some of the pictures i have taken to this point.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170619_115330.jpg (2.61 MB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg 20170619_115326.jpg (2.65 MB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg 20170619_115321.jpg (2.60 MB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg 20170619_115313.jpg (2.85 MB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg 20170619_115308.jpg (3.17 MB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg 20170530_211437.jpg (5.01 MB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg 20170617_200014.jpg (3.50 MB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg 20170606_205120.jpg (4.54 MB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg 20170622_194356.jpg (3.86 MB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg 20170522_193217.jpg (3.38 MB, 35 views)

RIP - 2007 Mazdaspeed3 GT 22V
COBB AP+SF+TIH|E30 tuned by Mark Gibson|H&R Springs|eBay Downpipe|CXRacing FMIC|KMD+Aviva|SU RMM|TurboXS Hybrid|TWM Base Bushings|Masonvi Knob
ajkulish is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 06-28-2017, 09:26 AM   #2

ajkulish is the leader of the worldajkulish is the leader of the worldajkulish is the leader of the worldajkulish is the leader of the worldajkulish is the leader of the worldajkulish is the leader of the worldajkulish is the leader of the worldajkulish is the leader of the worldajkulish is the leader of the worldajkulish is the leader of the worldajkulish is the leader of the world
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Here are some pictures of the carnage that led to the build
Attached Images
File Type: jpg broken valve seat mazdaspeed6.jpg (2.04 MB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg Cyl 1 mazdaspeed6.jpg (3.22 MB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg Cyl 2 mazdaspeed6.jpg (3.07 MB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg Cyl 3 mazdaspeed6.jpg (3.03 MB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg Cyl 4 mazdaspeed6.jpg (3.20 MB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg top view mazdaspeed6.jpg (2.70 MB, 33 views)

COBB AP+SF+TIH|E30 tuned by Mark Gibson|H&R Springs|eBay Downpipe|CXRacing FMIC|KMD+Aviva|SU RMM|TurboXS Hybrid|TWM Base Bushings|Masonvi Knob
 Old 06-28-2017, 12:03 PM   #3

Thor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the world
Groans: 71
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Neutral  +1 score     

Giving your pistons and rods the full spa treatment before installing?

Nice list and good luck with the build! I wouldn't do the BSD however if you are going to daily the car IMHO.
2007 MS6- H&R Coilovers/ C-PE Catted DP/Corksport HPFP Internals/ AEM CAI/ ETS TMIC/ CPE Austenite Dual CBE/ CPE TIH/ Synapse Synchronic/ Freektuned/ AP Short Shifter/ AWR RMM and OEM TMM with CS Inserts/ Southbend Stage 2 Endurance/Stop Tech Slotted Rear and DBA T3 4000 Series Front with EBC Reds/CPE xFlex Rear Diff Mount/ Whiteline Rear Sway Bar/DSS Level 2.9 Rear Axles

Waiting for Install: Damond OCC/ CS Injector Seals/ WMI/ Torque Solutions Shifter base bushings
Thor Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Thor Hammer For This Useful Post:
ajkulish (06-28-2017)
 Old 06-28-2017, 01:22 PM   #4

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Thor Hammer View Post
Giving your pistons and rods the full spa treatment before installing?

Nice list and good luck with the build! I wouldn't do the BSD however if you are going to daily the car IMHO.
Yes it will be my summer daily. Any reasoning for no BSD? I removed the BSD in my 3 and noticed no difference, but i was not BT. Just k04 on E.

Old 06-28-2017, 03:06 PM   #5

Dennisms3 has a brilliant futureDennisms3 has a brilliant futureDennisms3 has a brilliant futureDennisms3 has a brilliant futureDennisms3 has a brilliant futureDennisms3 has a brilliant futureDennisms3 has a brilliant futureDennisms3 has a brilliant futureDennisms3 has a brilliant futureDennisms3 has a brilliant futureDennisms3 has a brilliant future
Groans: 0
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Might want to get the treadstone tr8 intercooler core for that turbo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dennisms3 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 06-28-2017, 03:35 PM   #6

SSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the world
Thanked 4,494 Times in 1,632 Posts
Groans: 47
Groaned at 16 Times in 11 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

The balance shaft assembly is weighted for the OEM rotating assembly.

If you change the rods/pistons the balance shafts assembly should be removed.
Fully Built : Arias Pistons: Pauter Rods : ARP bolts: Ported Head: Cosworth BSD : Spec 3+ Clutch : Fidanza Flywheel : AWR Engine mounts 90duro : Custom TIP/Intake : Custom Blow Through 3.5" MAF : Custom FMIC : HKS SSQV VTA : Ported IM : Custom DP : Custom Exhaust : CPBoost Top Mount EM : Garrett GT3582R : PTP Turbo Blanket: Tial V44 EWG : Perrin EBCS : MrLilGuy/PTP HPFP : Ported fuel line : Ported Fuel Rail : Custom Ported Fuel Injectors : Kenny Bell Boost-a-Pump : HKS Twin Power DLI II : HKS M-Series Plugs : Cobb AP : AEM 3.5bar MAP :Koni Sport shocks : RPM Kspec Springs : TWM STS : TT Front Diff Mount : CPE Upper Diff Mount : Whiteline RSB : AWR Endlinks
SSinstaller is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SSinstaller For This Useful Post:
ajkulish (06-28-2017)
 Old 06-28-2017, 07:28 PM   #7

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Dennisms3 View Post
Might want to get the treadstone tr8 intercooler core for that turbo.

Also, reasoning? I understand it flows a bit better. But is there something critical or significantly better about it?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Old 06-28-2017, 07:42 PM   #8

SSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by ajkulish View Post
Also, reasoning? I understand it flows a bit better. But is there something critical or significantly better about it?

Front mount is inherently better than top mount(with the limited airflow underhood).

You're changing so much at once it would probably be a better idea to get it running and any kinks worked out and then go front mount..
Fully Built : Arias Pistons: Pauter Rods : ARP bolts: Ported Head: Cosworth BSD : Spec 3+ Clutch : Fidanza Flywheel : AWR Engine mounts 90duro : Custom TIP/Intake : Custom Blow Through 3.5" MAF : Custom FMIC : HKS SSQV VTA : Ported IM : Custom DP : Custom Exhaust : CPBoost Top Mount EM : Garrett GT3582R : PTP Turbo Blanket: Tial V44 EWG : Perrin EBCS : MrLilGuy/PTP HPFP : Ported fuel line : Ported Fuel Rail : Custom Ported Fuel Injectors : Kenny Bell Boost-a-Pump : HKS Twin Power DLI II : HKS M-Series Plugs : Cobb AP : AEM 3.5bar MAP :Koni Sport shocks : RPM Kspec Springs : TWM STS : TT Front Diff Mount : CPE Upper Diff Mount : Whiteline RSB : AWR Endlinks

Last edited by SSinstaller; 06-28-2017 at 07:43 PM. Reason: MSF Database - Automerged Doublepost
 Old 06-28-2017, 10:18 PM   #9

mituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,012 Times in 1,153 Posts
Groans: 101
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by SSinstaller View Post
The balance shaft assembly is weighted for the OEM rotating assembly.

If you change the rods/pistons the balance shafts assembly should be removed.
Isn't that going to result into more vibration though?
I remember there was a pretty extensive discussion about removing the BS, one of them was about these vibrations eating the main bearings quite fast, plus the acoustic discomfort when DD-ing the car.
Bilstein B12 + CS Camber plates + Eibach camber arms, SSR Type-F, Michelin PSS 225/40/R18, Cobb RMM, StopTech Street Pads + Stoptech Slotted disks, SouthBend ENduro Stage3 clutch, genpu TMM + CS Insert, TheSpeedLine 2X Rear Cross Floor and Rear Middle Lower Strut bars, Tanabe 4 Point Under Brace, Whiteline Bumpsteeer corection kit
JBR Tru-3" + CS CAI Box, SU TMIC, Cobb XLE, NGK LTR7IX, UR v3 catted DP and res TP, Cobb CatBack, GS EBCS, Autotech internals, GTX3071, CS 3.5BAR, Guardian Angel, CoolingMist WMI
SP63 87.5mm 4032 9.5:1 pistons, Manley rods, CA625+ head studs, Clevite AL main bearings, King rod bearings, CP-e safe seals, DCR VVT, Koyorad radiator.
StratiVersaTuned FTW
mituc is online now   Reply With Quote
 Old 06-28-2017, 10:32 PM   #10

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by mituc View Post
I remember there was a pretty extensive discussion about removing the BS, one of them was about these vibrations eating the main bearings quite fast, plus the acoustic discomfort when DD-ing the car.
The balance shafts are 100% there for ride comfort. Removing them has no effect on bearing wear.

Replacing the rear motor mount is far more noticeable than removing the balance shafts.
The Following User Says Thank You to SSinstaller For This Useful Post:
5doorsoffury (06-29-2017)
 Old 06-28-2017, 11:53 PM   #11
sho

sho is the leader of the worldsho is the leader of the worldsho is the leader of the worldsho is the leader of the worldsho is the leader of the worldsho is the leader of the worldsho is the leader of the worldsho is the leader of the worldsho is the leader of the worldsho is the leader of the worldsho is the leader of the world
Groans: 6
Not Ranked  0 score     

FWIW, my motor was built with the balance shaft retained. I ended up having it taken out this spring and used the massive speed bsd and oil pan baffle. It vibes less with the balance shaft deleted.
Engine/exhaust goodies:
-Built bottom end -Manley H-Beams, Manley 88mm platinum series pistons, stock head, stock head studs, ACT 6puck w/ prolite flywheel, cp-e exhaust mani, PTE5862, 6th port w/ Bosch 2200's and aeromotive 325 stealth pump, tr1235 fmic w/ 3" cold side

Tuned by Realgib3
sho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sho For This Useful Post:
ajkulish (06-29-2017)
 Old 06-29-2017, 03:10 AM   #12

shaneski is the leader of the worldshaneski is the leader of the worldshaneski is the leader of the worldshaneski is the leader of the worldshaneski is the leader of the worldshaneski is the leader of the worldshaneski is the leader of the worldshaneski is the leader of the worldshaneski is the leader of the worldshaneski is the leader of the worldshaneski is the leader of the world
Groaned at 21 Times in 7 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Good list. I would go 3.5 bar map sensor for that turbo on meth. 3 Bar limit reading is around 28.8. That turbo can do up to 32psi.
Gen 2 2012 - ATP GTX3076r IWG - Full Race exhaust mani - 2NV Industries built Forged bottom end - PNP Head - JMF Intake Mani- UR Turbo Back - JBR tru 3.5 intake - TR8 FMIC - Devils own stage 2 WM - Cobb 3 port EBC- Autotech internals - FREEKTUNED.
shaneski is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 06-29-2017, 06:17 AM   #13

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by SSinstaller View Post
Front mount is inherently better than top mount(with the limited airflow underhood).

You're changing so much at once it would probably be a better idea to get it running and any kinks worked out and then go front mount..
I had a CS TMIC, but unfortunately i sold it to some kid who blew his motor the day after installing it. So it looks like i will be going with this CX fmic off the top. Is there any significant difference between the CX core and the TR8 core?

True enough, I do believe (depending on timing) that i will have the engine shop balance my rotating assembly. At this point, there should be no vibration.

Originally Posted by shaneski View Post
Good list. I would go 3.5 bar map sensor for that turbo on meth. 3 Bar limit reading is around 28.8. That turbo can do up to 32psi.
Yeah, we will see how far i take it. I will probably end up going with a 3.5 later but i already have the 3 bar in hand. We will see how long i keep that.

Thanks for the kind words and advice everyone

Old 06-29-2017, 12:25 PM   #14

Dennisms3 has a brilliant futureDennisms3 has a brilliant futureDennisms3 has a brilliant futureDennisms3 has a brilliant futureDennisms3 has a brilliant futureDennisms3 has a brilliant futureDennisms3 has a brilliant futureDennisms3 has a brilliant futureDennisms3 has a brilliant futureDennisms3 has a brilliant futureDennisms3 has a brilliant future
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I had a CS TMIC, but unfortunately i sold it to some kid who blew his motor the day after installing it. So it looks like i will be going with this CX fmic off the top. Is there any significant difference between the CX core and the TR8 core?

True enough, I do believe (depending on timing) that i will have the engine shop balance my rotating assembly. At this point, there should be no vibration.

Yeah, we will see how far i take it. I will probably end up going with a 3.5 later but i already have the 3 bar in hand. We will see how long i keep that.

Thanks for the kind words and advice everyone

Yes, there is a huge difference in intercooler cores. I had the cx racing intercooler kit on my opd gen1 with a bnr s3. The bats only dropped a couple degrees wot then increase again while still going wot. And cruising bats were pretty hot. I then changed to a tr8 core and bats were only 10 degrees hotter than outside temp. They dropped by like 30 degrees if not more sometimes they would be cooler than outside temps. Not to mention during wot the bats kept dropping and dropping. So there is a huge difference imo

Cruising temps were like 110-125 degrees with the tr8 core. But once you give throttle they drop immediately.

Last edited by Dennisms3; 06-29-2017 at 12:25 PM. Reason: MSF Database - Automerged Doublepost
Dennisms3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dennisms3 For This Useful Post:
ajkulish (06-29-2017)
 Old 06-29-2017, 01:13 PM   #15

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Thanks, good to know. I had a cx fmic on my 3 running e85 (330whp 365ftlbs) and i never had an issue with BATs. I am also going to be spraying meth so its not such a big worry. But i will keep this in mind, its an easy part to swap out down the road.

Old 06-30-2017, 05:45 AM   #16

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

anyone have any insight on how to install darton sleeves?

Old 06-30-2017, 01:09 PM   #17

mituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,012 Times in 1,153 Posts
Groans: 101
Not Ranked  0 score     

Any decent engine shop (decent = means they did this at least once) will know.

But basically the process looks like this:
- the engine has to be bored to the Darton specs,
- the block and sleeves have to be put into a big refrigerator and cooled down to -20C or like -5F, or even more if the shop has something based on liquid nitrogen;
- the sleeves go in the block bores;
- when the sleeved engine will come back to the ambient temperature the sleeves will stay in there like they are welded in.

If you don't have to sleeve the engine (like you already bored it to 88, needs to be bored more and you either don't have a piston option there or you're concerned about the poor heat dissipation of the thinner cylinder walls) then do not sleeve it.
Bilstein B12 + CS Camber plates + Eibach camber arms, SSR Type-F, Michelin PSS 225/40/R18, Cobb RMM, StopTech Street Pads + Stoptech Slotted disks, SouthBend ENduro Stage3 clutch, genpu TMM + CS Insert, TheSpeedLine 2X Rear Cross Floor and Rear Middle Lower Strut bars, Tanabe 4 Point Under Brace, Whiteline Bumpsteeer corection kit
JBR Tru-3" + CS CAI Box, SU TMIC, Cobb XLE, NGK LTR7IX, UR v3 catted DP and res TP, Cobb CatBack, GS EBCS, Autotech internals, GTX3071, CS 3.5BAR, Guardian Angel, CoolingMist WMI
SP63 87.5mm 4032 9.5:1 pistons, Manley rods, CA625+ head studs, Clevite AL main bearings, King rod bearings, CP-e safe seals, DCR VVT, Koyorad radiator.
StratiVersaTuned FTW
mituc is online now   Reply With Quote
 Old 07-02-2017, 01:40 PM   #18

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Any decent engine shop (decent = means they did this at least once) will know.

But basically the process looks like this:
- the engine has to be bored to the Darton specs,
- the block and sleeves have to be put into a big refrigerator and cooled down to -20C or like -5F, or even more if the shop has something based on liquid nitrogen;
- the sleeves go in the block bores;
- when the sleeved engine will come back to the ambient temperature the sleeves will stay in there like they are welded in.

If you don't have to sleeve the engine (like you already bored it to 88, needs to be bored more and you either don't have a piston option there or you're concerned about the poor heat dissipation of the thinner cylinder walls) then do not sleeve it.
They have done this before, just wanted to know the specs particular to the engine. Making sure they don't intrude into any coolant passages or anything. Just were looking for the proper documentation and specs. Fortunately darton responded with the specs and process, but I don't remember reading anything about chilling it.

Also, it's been bored to 88 but the problem was not that it had to go further, but that it had a strange spot in the bore that was harder than the rest (some sort of inclusion in casting) and don't want me to run into issues of it wearing unevenly on the piston or rings.

EDIT, instruction document from darton included

Old 07-17-2017, 07:40 AM   #19

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Hey guys,

I have heard some people say that the IWG flap on the ATP turbos can collide with the exhaust diverter in the CS downpipe. Does anyone have any experience with this? Looking to see how much i have to grind down

Old 07-17-2017, 08:57 PM   #20

shaneski is the leader of the worldshaneski is the leader of the worldshaneski is the leader of the worldshaneski is the leader of the worldshaneski is the leader of the worldshaneski is the leader of the worldshaneski is the leader of the worldshaneski is the leader of the worldshaneski is the leader of the worldshaneski is the leader of the worldshaneski is the leader of the world
Groaned at 21 Times in 7 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Hey guys,

I have heard some people say that the IWG flap on the ATP turbos can collide with the exhaust diverter in the CS downpipe. Does anyone have any experience with this? Looking to see how much i have to grind down
How old is your CS pipe, i'm pretty sure CS did a revision a few years back to stop it happening. You could call CS to see if they can tell you what needs to be done if it is an old pipe.
Gen 2 2012 - ATP GTX3076r IWG - Full Race exhaust mani - 2NV Industries built Forged bottom end - PNP Head - JMF Intake Mani- UR Turbo Back - JBR tru 3.5 intake - TR8 FMIC - Devils own stage 2 WM - Cobb 3 port EBC- Autotech internals - FREEKTUNED.
shaneski is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to shaneski For This Useful Post:
ajkulish (07-18-2017)
 Old 07-18-2017, 05:44 AM   #21

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by shaneski View Post
How old is your CS pipe, i'm pretty sure CS did a revision a few years back to stop it happening. You could call CS to see if they can tell you what needs to be done if it is an old pipe.
Good call broski, I'll do that. Unfortunately it came with the car so I dont know the exact age but I will call them and see what the deal is.

Old 07-21-2017, 06:21 AM   #22

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Got to do some work at the engine shop yesterday. Crank is micropolished and inspected, block is bored and honed, and 3 sets of pistons and rods are installed. Unfortunately, the Manley second ring on the cylinder 3 piston had a bit of a flared end (not sure if it was something i did when putting the piston in the ring compressor, or if it was a fault in machining) but it got stuck in the groove, and ultimately snapped trying to get it out. So I have expedited a ring set to my house, hopefully I can get back to the shop and finish the short block this weekend.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170720_155604.jpg (3.19 MB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 20170720_155519.jpg (3.01 MB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 20170720_174946.jpg (3.27 MB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 20170720_185908.jpg (4.07 MB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg 20170720_201055.jpg (3.14 MB, 15 views)

Old 07-26-2017, 07:02 AM   #23

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Got the mechanical part of the WMI kit installed last night. Very sturdy and I am happy with the cleanliness of the setup.

Also decided to hack the shit out of my dash board flip top so that my triple gauge pod would still flip open, and allow me to continue utilizing that space. It was a lot of work, and it ended up about 1/4" above the rest of the dash, but the fact that i dont have to sacrifice that storage space makes me very happy with it. Let me know what yall think.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170725_204729.jpg (4.01 MB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 20170725_204737.jpg (3.02 MB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg 20170725_204808.jpg (4.34 MB, 22 views)

Old 07-26-2017, 02:15 PM   #24

armyman has a spectacular aura aboutarmyman has a spectacular aura about
Not Ranked  0 score     

How are you going to run the meth tubes? Under the car?
CPe HPFP, Corksport Mazdaspeed 6 power series catted downpipe, Corksport TMIC, Corksport MZR Bypass valve, Cooling Mist W/M injection with cmgs, JBR Tru-3.5 Wide Path Full aluminum Intake System, Denso ITV-22, intank 265 L fuel pump, rear engine mount, EGR block off plate, XS stainless steel exhaust manifold ceramic coating, BNR stage 3 turbo, Stratified Mazda 3 Port Electronic Boost Control Valve, Stratified tune, HKS Twin Power
armyman is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 07-26-2017, 07:34 PM   #25

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by armyman View Post
How are you going to run the meth tubes? Under the car?
That's the plan, haven't done that yet. I'll try to tackle it tomorrow.

But I did finish my short block tonight! I thought I was anxious to get this together before....

Sent from my Galaxy S7

The Following User Says Thank You to ajkulish For This Useful Post:
mituc (07-27-2017)
 Old 08-01-2017, 07:30 AM   #26

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Got the cylinder head on last night, and put the EBM oil pump in. You can see in the pictures that the gap in the oil pump "compressor" is larger than the gap on my worn out pump. This is the only noticeable difference between the ecoboost mustang pump and our pump. This should, theoretically, flow more oil for us at about 15% of the cost. Let me know your thoughts.

Its a shame I will never (hopefully) get to see those shiny piston tops again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170731_184824.jpg (3.72 MB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg 20170731_184845.jpg (3.83 MB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 20170731_190520.jpg (4.23 MB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 20170731_192618.jpg (3.80 MB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 20170731_173242.jpg (3.16 MB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 20170731_173247.jpg (2.35 MB, 18 views)

mituc (08-02-2017)
 Old 08-03-2017, 07:03 AM   #27

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

long block complete
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170802_173548.jpg (3.56 MB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 20170802_185512.jpg (3.11 MB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 20170802_191138.jpg (3.33 MB, 12 views)

KiwiFlavor (08-03-2017)
 Old 08-05-2017, 10:17 PM   #28

HarambeSpeed3 is a jewel in the roughHarambeSpeed3 is a jewel in the roughHarambeSpeed3 is a jewel in the roughHarambeSpeed3 is a jewel in the rough
Not Ranked  0 score     

loving the build man! I am headed in the same direction right now, had a spun bearing and some contact on lucky #4 .
HarambeSpeed3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HarambeSpeed3 For This Useful Post:
ajkulish (08-08-2017)
 Old 08-08-2017, 06:32 AM   #29

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by HarambeSpeed3 View Post
loving the build man! I am headed in the same direction right now, had a spun bearing and some contact on lucky #4 .
Best of luck man, sure is an experience. Also, whatever you think its going to cost, double it.

So i am almost done putting it together, but am having a hard time locating 3 electrical clips respective mates.

1. the ambient air temp sensor is at the end, but one before that is a clip i cant find the other end to.

2. this is off the same part that clips into the EGR, cant find anything close enough to plug into it.

3 and 4. This is near the headlight, and come to think of it, there may be a matching one on the passenger side.

any help is appreciated guys, i wanna run this thing!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170807_205536.jpg (4.16 MB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 20170807_212023.jpg (3.24 MB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 20170807_212724.jpg (3.59 MB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 20170807_212729.jpg (3.78 MB, 6 views)

Old 08-09-2017, 07:35 PM   #30

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

car is totally assembled, but wont start. It turns over and has compression, but when plugs were pulled, they were completely dry. So i removed the lines to and from the hpfp and had fuel spray all over each time. But when cranking, the AP only reads a max of 180 psi.

Whats the deal here fellas?

Old 08-11-2017, 07:31 PM   #31

stockms3 is the leader of the worldstockms3 is the leader of the worldstockms3 is the leader of the worldstockms3 is the leader of the worldstockms3 is the leader of the worldstockms3 is the leader of the worldstockms3 is the leader of the worldstockms3 is the leader of the worldstockms3 is the leader of the worldstockms3 is the leader of the worldstockms3 is the leader of the world
Groans: 62
Groaned at 6 Times in 6 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

car is totally assembled, but wont start. It turns over and has compression, but when plugs were pulled, they were completely dry. So i removed the lines to and from the hpfp and had fuel spray all over each time. But when cranking, the AP only reads a max of 180 psi.

Whats the deal here fellas?
When it happened to me HPFP had a loose ground or was disconnected. It seems your in tank pump is working so it has to be HPFP.
2007 TR MazdaSpeed3:Autotech FP inernals, Cobb AP, Toyota Injector Seals, FR stud mod, FMIC, Fidanza flywheel/stock clutch, Forge BPV, DogBone Mounts, COBB SRI/PG Inlet pipe, Wiseco .20 Pistons/Manley Rods/BSD, DM/ebay catch cans, Koni Yellows/H&R springs, FD wheels, eBay downpipe, CNT catback

2005 Mazda 3 SP23: mod include rusty quarter panels and grinding 3rd gear. It does have a fusion motor, so I guess that's a mod too.
stockms3 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 08-14-2017, 06:43 AM   #32

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by stockms3 View Post
When it happened to me HPFP had a loose ground or was disconnected. It seems your in tank pump is working so it has to be HPFP.
Yup, I ordered a new relief valve, so hopefully that't it. Couldnt find anything funky in the connections.