register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Build Diaries

MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Build Diaries MazdaSpeed 3/6 - General Build Threads/Diaries

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!
Like Tree12Likes

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 09-25-2017, 11:22 AM   #81

Thor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the world
Groans: 84
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Wow! I never thought to just yank the motor instead of dropping the subframe. Nice you have the space and tools to get it done.

How long did it take you to yank it out?
2007 MS6- H&R Coilovers/ C-PE Catted DP/Corksport HPFP Internals/ AEM CAI/ ETS TMIC/ CPE Austenite Dual CBE/ CPE TIH/ Synapse Synchronic/ Freektuned/ AP Short Shifter/ AWR RMM and OEM TMM with CS Inserts/ Southbend Stage 2 Endurance/Stop Tech Slotted Rear and DBA T3 4000 Series Front with EBC Reds/CPE xFlex Rear Diff Mount/ Whiteline Rear Sway Bar/DSS Level 2.9 Rear Axles

Waiting for Install: Damond OCC/ CS Injector Seals/ WMI/
Thor Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 09-25-2017, 12:08 PM   #82

Fstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the world
Groans: 8
Groaned at 5 Times in 4 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Thor Hammer View Post
How long did it take you to yank it out?
Most of the progress happened in the first 2 hours because I've had all that stuff off many times before. It slowed way down after that. Didn't do enough research before hand because I thought it was going to be a Nator weekend where there would be some experienced individuals, but those plans fell through. Wanted to be doubly sure what needed to come off the engine before lift.

Mostly by myself, taking my time, I had it out in about 8-9 hours. There are pros and cons to doing it this way. I opted to leave the front of my car on. It was a squeeze between the overflow bottle and cowl, but it fit. It will be harder jiggling it back in.

The actual flywheel & clutch change was a breeze with the engine out. Once the trans is all cleaned up and axle seals replaced (and pivot seal) tonight, I can easily pop it back on. Then clean xfer case and replace all those axle seals and easily pop it back on.

Then I have to flop to the other end and replace all the VVT stuff. Again, easily accessible with the engine out. Picking up timing tools tomorrow after work from a local member.

During all that, I'll try to paint what I can so it looks pretty when it goes back together. Top of the trans is nasty from where the pivot seal has been leaking. Not sure if I'll have time to clean it well enough for paint. But I'll certainly give the valve cover a fresh coat. Basic silver/aluminum look. I'm not flashy with pinks/purples/greens/and blues.
eBay Stage 1 OCC, DM RMM/PMM/Stage 2 OCC
Puppy Power tuning temporarily suspended.
Forged build ongoing. Manley H-Tuff Rods, Manley 2618 Pistons, King Bearings

Other rides:
2002 Tacoma ExtCab 2.4L 5spd 2WD - Parts Getter
2004 Olds Alero ECOtec 2.2 - Broken (since Christmas 2015)
History:
2008 GSX-R 1000 - Stolen (With several runs past 180, I'd probably be dead by now if it wasn't stolen. So, in a way, I'm thankful.)
1988 RX-7 TII - Sold (Megasquirt, streetport, filter-on-turbo SRI, custom TBE, 20psi boost creep on OE turbo, OE TMIC on ice, 13.467 @ 105.44) apex seals said buh bye!
1985 Camaro - Sold (est. 265bhp 5.7 swap, Edelbrock intake & Hooker headers)
Fstrnyou is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fstrnyou For This Useful Post:
Thor Hammer (09-25-2017)
 Old 09-25-2017, 10:05 PM   #83

Fstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the world
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Pic of old ToB below. The new replacement is a slightly different design. Two parts held together with metal bracketry instead of bonding.

Also, decided to replace clutch fork too instead of just the pivot pin. So I need to see how quick the stealership can get one...and at what cost.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170925_185815.jpg (835.3 KB, 9 views)

Other rides:
History:
2008 GSX-R 1000 - Stolen (With several runs past 180, I'd probably be dead by now if it wasn't stolen. So, in a way, I'm thankful.)
1988 RX-7 TII - Sold (Megasquirt, streetport, filter-on-turbo SRI, custom TBE, 20psi boost creep on OE turbo, OE TMIC on ice, 13.467 @ 105.44) apex seals said buh bye!
 Old 11-17-2017, 08:41 AM   #84

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Dang, I didn't do a follow up. Nothing crazy to note though.

Pulled timing chain tensioner/chain/guides/crank gear and the oil pump chain/tensioner/gears (to get to back friction washer out).

All looked good. Very little chain stretch. Guides looked good too. It was evident that it had been replaced at some point. So I put it all back together with the new washers and crank bolt.

Since then, it's been running as expected.

About a month ago I guess, I installed a 3-port EBCS. Mounted it to the firewall. Quite a bit of the clicky solenoid sound is heard from inside, so I need to move it somewhere else or isolate it a little.

Received CS lowering springs and CS diff mount yesterday. Currently undecided if I want to install them or sell them. Could really use the funds for my next task at hand.

Which is... I'm picking up a longblock on Monday. I won't really have much chance to dig into it until after Thanksgiving weekend. Top priority is tearing it down, throwing away the rods/pistons, cleaning it up, and measuring everything to see what I'm working with.

Other rides:
History:
 Old 12-01-2017, 06:31 PM   #85

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

The first of many boxes are starting to arrive.

For @texasboy21;
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20171201_202329.jpg (677.6 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 20171201_201652.jpg (705.7 KB, 6 views)
darkmx-6 likes this.

Other rides:
History:

Last edited by Fstrnyou; 12-01-2017 at 06:59 PM.
 Old 12-05-2017, 09:04 PM   #86

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Mmm...more bling to be hidden inside.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image1.JPG (1.16 MB, 9 views)

Other rides:
History:
The Following User Says Thank You to Fstrnyou For This Useful Post:
5doorsoffury (12-11-2017)
 Old 12-05-2017, 09:09 PM   #87

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Tore apart the top end of the donor last night. Cylinders look fairly decent. Not sure what I'm going to do with the head/cams yet.
Started digging into the bottom tinight, but hit a snag on getting 1 of the rod bolts off. A 6pt 3/8 socket worked for all but 1. Need to hit up HF for the proper inverted torx socket. I'm guessing an E12 socket or something close to it. The 3 rod journals I can see look pretty good to me. Will put a mic on the crank when I get it out tomorrow.

Other rides:
History:
 Old 12-11-2017, 06:20 PM   #88

5doorsoffury is the leader of the world5doorsoffury is the leader of the world5doorsoffury is the leader of the world5doorsoffury is the leader of the world5doorsoffury is the leader of the world5doorsoffury is the leader of the world5doorsoffury is the leader of the world5doorsoffury is the leader of the world5doorsoffury is the leader of the world5doorsoffury is the leader of the world5doorsoffury is the leader of the world
Groans: 70
Groaned at 7 Times in 6 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Im pretty sure they were 12pt metric when i took mine out. Iirc the only inverted torx was the hpfp bolts and studs. Thoes pistons look nice. My short block over head view was my desktop pic for a year.
PTE 5858 Vband .82ar // Tial EWG // CPE Mani // 3" Turboback // JBR Under route hot pipe // MD ST mani+spacer with PI // Siemens 60lb Injectors // Splitsecond inj controller // JBR 88 duro RMM/TMM // MD PMM // TWM Full replacement shifter // JBR CC // Autotech FP Internals // SP63 SB/Manley rods SP63 pro pistons // Treadstone FMIC TR824 // FoMoCo Tranny Jizz // South Bend Clutch Stage 3 enduro// GFB Respons // FJ 4" intake // WMI 100% VPM1 // Air Lift 1000 in rear // N2MB WOT BOX
Rfinkle tune in progress

The Brooklyn beater: 2005 1.8 Auto Sentra

5doorsoffury is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 12-11-2017, 07:02 PM   #89

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

The OE bolts turned out to be E12 or something. The aftermarket rod bolts are 12pt.

Checked rod/main journals. Looks like I'll be putting in STD bearings, so that's nice.

Other rides:
History:
 Old 12-19-2017, 10:57 AM   #90

darkmx-6 is a jewel in the roughdarkmx-6 is a jewel in the roughdarkmx-6 is a jewel in the roughdarkmx-6 is a jewel in the rough
Groans: 0
Groaned at 3 Times in 2 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Liking what I'm seeing on your build, Hopefully instead of going as far as you are going I'll just be happy with power I make from bolt-on's and a bit of E85.

This car was/is going to be my daily driver.

I think once I finish tuning and installing the current Items I have I'll chill out on this car. Then I can finally finish my other projects.
darkmx-6 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 01-04-2018, 04:03 PM   #91

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Christmas isn't over yet...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180104_180507.jpg (688.1 KB, 9 views)
darkmx-6 likes this.

Other rides:
History:
 Old 01-11-2018, 04:07 PM   #92

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Mmm....more goodies.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (1.45 MB, 5 views)
darkmx-6 likes this.

Other rides:
History:
 Old 01-13-2018, 08:16 AM   #93

LenSpeed6 is just really niceLenSpeed6 is just really niceLenSpeed6 is just really niceLenSpeed6 is just really nice
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

What is your plan for a catch can for your PCV set up? trying to get ideas on what to do.
Soon: Forged Bottom End, some kind of new turbo, HPFP, CS Fuel Line, CS Injector Seals and some more stuff....
LenSpeed6 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 01-13-2018, 08:19 AM   #94

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

I already have 2 catch cans. The one attached to the PCV is the Damond kit (Stage 2). I'm not sure what I want to do with the additional port in the plate...probably a 3rd can or possibly route them both to a new/larger can.

Other rides:
History:
 Old 01-15-2018, 04:51 PM   #95

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

This aught to help get the power to the ground...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180115_174250.jpg (683.1 KB, 2 views)

Other rides:
History: