register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Build Diaries

MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Build Diaries MazdaSpeed 3/6 - General Build Threads/Diaries

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!
Like Tree18Likes

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 07-06-2018, 03:16 PM   #161

Jeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the world
Groans: 1
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by LenSpeed6 View Post
I'm skeptical on winter use with W/M
below -20deg C i switch it off to avoid any humidity to freeze inside the map tube because 1 time i got the controller triggering the pump at iddle!!!. But now i have a programmable controler that read rpm, boost and maf to control it so it won't happen again. BTW, winter washer fluid is a methanol mix (30-35%) with water to avoid freezing, a lot use that as W/M juice ...
Since last winter, i 'm a lot more afraid of OCC freezing than anything else...

2007 rusted Speed6... in progress...
1993 Ford Probe KLZE 143dB
2012 Mazda3 Gs-sky 6.5l/100 when transporting speed parts
1989 GM 6.2 diesel pickup
Wife drive 2010 CX7

2007 speed3 burned (i'm proud to ran 12.7s with it)

...Because French Canadian...
Jeff23spl is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 07-06-2018, 03:18 PM   #162

Fstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the world
Groans: 21
Groaned at 6 Times in 5 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Eth and meth dont make motors immune to blowing up.
Usually it's a tuning issue or a mechanical/system failure.
Versatuner, 3-bar MAP, ITV22, CP-e TMIC
CS Turbo/DP/RP/HPFP/BPV/R-DiffMount
White Widow F-DiffMount, Whiteline RSB
Rear Russian Bushings, Poly FSB Bushings
Magnaflow CBE, ACT 6-puck/Streetlite
JBR Tru-3.5/3-port EBCS/EGR-D
Damond RMM/PMM/OCC/PCV Plate
Other rides:
2002 Tacoma ExtCab 2.4L 5spd 2WD - 355k mile Speed support vehicle.
2004 Olds Alero ECOtec 2.2 - Broken (since Christmas 2015 and I really need to get rid of it)
History:
2008 GSX-R 1000 - Stolen (With several runs past 180, I'd probably be dead by now if it wasn't stolen. So in a way, I'm thankful.)
1988 RX-7 TII - Sold (Megasquirt, streetport, filter-on-turbo SRI, custom TBE, 20psi boost creep on OE turbo, OE TMIC on ice, 13.467 @ 105.44)
1985 Camaro - Sold (est. 265bhp 5.7 swap, Edelbrock intake & Hooker headers)
Fstrnyou is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 07-06-2018, 03:32 PM   #163

Solarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the world
Groans: 0
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Fstrnyou View Post
Eth and meth dont make motors immune to blowing up.
Usually it's a tuning issue or a mechanical/system failure.

That’s precisely the issue. Methanol can CAUSE a motor to blow up if the pump fails or a nozzle gets clogged. Ethanol alone RAISES combustion temps at max load, causing overheating issues. So, long story short, both = insurance against each other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Solarsurge is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 07-06-2018, 05:35 PM   #164

LenSpeed6 is a name known to allLenSpeed6 is a name known to allLenSpeed6 is a name known to allLenSpeed6 is a name known to allLenSpeed6 is a name known to allLenSpeed6 is a name known to all
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

sounds like the sideffects that are listed for all mediations... take this to combat that but also take this other thing to combat what that brings and so on and so on....
Sure Diff Mounts, JBR Intake, JBR I/C Hoses, Wiesco pistons .5mm over, Molnar H-Beam Rods, King bearings, New to me Cylinder Block, CS turbo, CS catted turbo back exhaust, CS HPFP, CS EBCS, CS injector seals, AP v3, FREEKTUNE, rebuilt clutch from Falcon Clutch with kevlar lining, DM PCV plate, DM stage 1 OCC, EcoBoost oil pump
Soon: CS HPFP line, fix oil leak from turbo return line and some more stuff....

To think... this is suppose to be my winter car... because,

'72 AMC Javelin AMX 366 CI, 4speed 13.13 quickest 1/4 mile et so far

'12 1/2 Triumph Daytona 675R stock some how
LenSpeed6 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 07-06-2018, 09:27 PM   #165

Solarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by LenSpeed6 View Post
sounds like the sideffects that are listed for all mediations... take this to combat that but also take this other thing to combat what that brings and so on and so on....
Warning: Ethanol + Methanol may cause premature ejaculation. lol
 Old 07-07-2018, 03:55 PM   #166

Fstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the world
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

I feel like I'm missing something.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180707_172000.jpg (742.2 KB, 17 views)
Other rides:
2004 Olds Alero ECOtec 2.2 - Broken (since Christmas 2015 and I really need to get rid of it)
History:
2008 GSX-R 1000 - Stolen (With several runs past 180, I'd probably be dead by now if it wasn't stolen. So in a way, I'm thankful.)
1988 RX-7 TII - Sold (Megasquirt, streetport, filter-on-turbo SRI, custom TBE, 20psi boost creep on OE turbo, OE TMIC on ice, 13.467 @ 105.44)
 Old 07-07-2018, 05:44 PM   #167

Not Ranked  0 score     
Default Because Build Threads Are A Thing

Turbo oil feed line, belt tensioner pulley, crank position sensor, alternator, and perhaps a cylinder head lol

Old 07-09-2018, 08:30 AM   #168

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

D-Day (disassembly day) estimated to be next week Monday. Drop my car off at the shop Sunday evening after dropping my daughter off at her mom's.
I'm anticipating it will go a tad quicker this round. I had the engine out 9 months ago for clutch replacement and VVT inspection.
I pretty much have only a week and a half consisting of short evenings and 1 weekend to make it happen before I get to pick my daughter back up on Friday after work.
The agonizing truth is, there's always something I forget. Knock in wood it's something simple.
Other rides:
History:
 Old 07-14-2018, 06:50 AM   #169

LenSpeed6 is a name known to allLenSpeed6 is a name known to allLenSpeed6 is a name known to allLenSpeed6 is a name known to allLenSpeed6 is a name known to allLenSpeed6 is a name known to all
Not Ranked  0 score     

Seeing that you have prior experience, just take your time and try not to rush. I think your going to do just fine!
Sure Diff Mounts, JBR Intake, JBR I/C Hoses, Wiesco pistons .5mm over, Molnar H-Beam Rods, King bearings, New to me Cylinder Block, CS turbo, CS catted turbo back exhaust, CS HPFP, CS EBCS, CS injector seals, AP v3, FREEKTUNE, rebuilt clutch from Falcon Clutch with kevlar lining, DM PCV plate, DM stage 1 OCC, EcoBoost oil pump
Soon: CS HPFP line, fix oil leak from turbo return line and some more stuff....

To think... this is suppose to be my winter car... because,

'72 AMC Javelin AMX 366 CI, 4speed 13.13 quickest 1/4 mile et so far

'12 1/2 Triumph Daytona 675R stock some how
LenSpeed6 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 07-18-2018, 11:06 PM   #170

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

She's out again. And yes, from the top like last time.

Bad news, radiator upper hose connection is falling apart, so I guess that's the unplanned surprise and delay that I was waiting for. Wouldn't mind getting a nice upgrade...but I think those are hard to come by these days.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (600.6 KB, 11 views)
Other rides:
History:
 Old 07-19-2018, 02:59 PM   #171

Jeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

On my 3, i just cut half of an inch and squeeze it back until i got a new one...But it work only if it is just the far end that is damaged...

Wife drive 2010 CX7

Old 07-19-2018, 03:16 PM   #172

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

It's cracked back a good ways. Not worth the risk as a daily driver to get stuck out of town.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180718_194132.jpg (668.7 KB, 14 views)
Other rides:
History:
 Old 07-19-2018, 03:19 PM   #173

Not Ranked  0 score     

It's cracked back a good ways. Not worth the risk as a daily driver to get stuck out of town.

That legit looks like some sort of dog treat or a tube made of beef jerky lol

The Following User Says Thank You to Solarsurge For This Useful Post:
Db09ms3 (07-20-2018)
 Old 07-20-2018, 01:58 PM   #174

Not Ranked  0 score     

right it is very damaged

Wife drive 2010 CX7

Old 07-20-2018, 03:34 PM   #175

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

The other day, I had a IDGAF attitude and went full retard.
Looked for radiator upgrades and bought the Ron Davis radiator from Street Unit. I haven't received updates on my order, so I'm curious if they even have any in stock. If not, ill cancel the order (of course) and it may have saved me from needing a 2nd job to pay for it.

While I was in the spending mood, I also ordered AWR's trans mount. I didn't feel like waiting on Damond's version.
Other rides:
History:
 Old 07-20-2018, 08:28 PM   #176

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Okay. As I sort of expected, that radiator isn't available. I was hoping SU still had some in stock but at the same time hoping they didnt cause that's a lot of $$.
They already refunded the money.
Checked all the parts stores in the area and obviously none are in stock and only a couple places would allow me to order it. I'll have to call the local stealership in the morning.

Ordered a new water pump and spin-on oil filter conversion from Edge a few days ago, but they won't be delivered until Monday.

So this weekend will primarily be cleaning and painting.
Other rides:
History:
The Following User Says Thank You to Fstrnyou For This Useful Post:
kTaLgsTo (07-23-2018)
 Old 07-22-2018, 03:18 PM   #177

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Got some cleaning done, not so much painting.

There's so many nooks and crannies on the trans, I just gave it a decent degreasing and I'll leave it as is.

The head is mostly buried under the intake, exhaust, HPFP housing, water outlet housing, timing cover and valve cover. So it's not worth painting.

The timing cover is already painted from the donor motor.

I only have 1 valve cover, from my old engine, and it's so nasty that it needs to be blasted before paint. I don't have time for that right now. Project for another day.

The HPFP housing and water outlet housing from the donor are already painted. I went ahead and cleaned/painted the external cam cap from my head for the HPFP housing so I don't have that bit of nastiness.

Got the head off my engine, cleaned up the head gasket surface, planted it on the new engine, and torqued it down with new OEM head bolts.

While all the old pistons looked dry, combustion chambers 2 and 4 were wet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180722_133852.jpg (978.1 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 20180722_133114.jpg (978.7 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 20180722_133905.jpg (805.5 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 20180722_140120.jpg (784.8 KB, 5 views)
Other rides:
History:
 Old 07-27-2018, 12:15 PM   #178

E.Murray is an unknown quantity at this point
Not Ranked  0 score     

What paint are you using? Should be nice when you're done. Just keep the finish line in mind!
E.Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 07-27-2018, 01:12 PM   #179

Not Ranked  0 score     

Got some cleaning done, not so much painting.

There's so many nooks and crannies on the trans, I just gave it a decent degreasing and I'll leave it as is.

The head is mostly buried under the intake, exhaust, HPFP housing, water outlet housing, timing cover and valve cover. So it's not worth painting.

The timing cover is already painted from the donor motor.

I only have 1 valve cover, from my old engine, and it's so nasty that it needs to be blasted before paint. I don't have time for that right now. Project for another day.

The HPFP housing and water outlet housing from the donor are already painted. I went ahead and cleaned/painted the external cam cap from my head for the HPFP housing so I don't have that bit of nastiness.

Got the head off my engine, cleaned up the head gasket surface, planted it on the new engine, and torqued it down with new OEM head bolts.

While all the old pistons looked dry, combustion chambers 2 and 4 were wet.

I only had 1 valve cover also, as the one from the donor motor is a Gen1 cover, so I just went YOLO and bought a new one. Tasca has brand new for only $236 OEM straight from Mazda, compared to $300+ literally everywhere else on Earth.

Old 07-27-2018, 01:35 PM   #180

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

I'm using duplicolor engine enamel.
Clean with Prep Spray.
Then Duplicolor Engine Enamel primer.
Then paint:
Aluminum looks pretty nice. You can see the metal flake shininess as you spray.
Cast Coat Alumunum is more like a plain silver like color. No sparkly effect but still looks good. I put Clear Coat over the Cast Coat Aluminum to give it more shine. It's not much shine though. Surface smoothness is key to get that gloss to do its thing. Looks great on the timing cover. The oil pan is so textured that I can't even tell I clear coated it at all.

My block is sprayed with aluminum and it's shiny AF. Looks sweet.
Was going to paint the head and trans aluminum as well, but decided to leave them as they are.
I'll paint the valve cover Cast Coat some other day.
Everything else that I painted is Cast Coat Aluminum.
Other rides:
History:
 Old 07-27-2018, 01:39 PM   #181

Not Ranked  0 score     

I'm using duplicolor engine enamel.
Clean with Prep Spray.
Then Duplicolor Engine Enamel primer.
Then paint:
Aluminum looks pretty nice. You can see the metal flake shininess as you spray.
Cast Coat Alumunum is more like a plain silver like color. No sparkly effect but still looks good. I put Clear Coat over the Cast Coat Aluminum to give it more shine. It's not much shine though. Surface smoothness is key to get that gloss to do its thing. Looks great on the timing cover. The oil pan is so textured that I can't even tell I clear coated it at all.

Should have gone with this...

Old 07-27-2018, 01:42 PM   #182

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

I used that exact color on my wheels too. But it looked like Metallic Gray or Anthracite
Other rides:
History:
 Old 07-27-2018, 01:55 PM   #183

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Got the xfercase bearing caps done and all seals replaced.
Seals in transmission replaced.
Urethane front sway bar bushings installed.
Timing drive system installed in preparation for pinning the cams.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180725_202137.jpg (893.9 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 20180725_215709.jpg (843.2 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 20180725_221117.jpg (736.1 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 20180726_203140.jpg (727.3 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 20180726_214810.jpg (600.3 KB, 5 views)
Other rides:
History:
 Old 07-28-2018, 03:58 PM   #184

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Progress today.
Valve buckets changed out for proper clearance.
Cams in, timing tools in place, and cams locked down with pins and ARP bolts. I put new washers in for good measure.

Timing cover on. Valve cover on. Putting on the rest of the externals now. Leaving intake side off until after it'sdropped in first thing tomorrow morning.

Wait! Did I say I pinned my cams? Yes I did. It pairs nicely with the keyed crank.
Why? Because I can.
Necessary for a 450whp build? Not even slightly.
Is it nice to know I have extra insurance against slipped timing? Absafuckinlutely.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180726_214810.jpg (600.3 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 20180728_152940.jpg (795.8 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 20180728_152946.jpg (769.0 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 20180728_153939.jpg (856.0 KB, 7 views)
Other rides:
History:

Last edited by Fstrnyou; 07-28-2018 at 04:10 PM.
 Old 07-28-2018, 10:11 PM   #185

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Finished out the day with it nearly ready to drop in.
All that's left is trans and xfer case.
Then it's time to remove the front end from the car to remove the old radiator.
Then drop in the engine, slap on the intake side components, then get the new radiator in.

I'm quite a bit optimistic that I'll be driving this thing again tomorrow night.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180728_204139.jpg (709.1 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 20180728_204159.jpg (658.5 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 20180728_214128.jpg (603.4 KB, 5 views)
Other rides:
History:

Last edited by Fstrnyou; 07-29-2018 at 07:00 PM.
 Old 07-29-2018, 07:04 PM   #186

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Trans and xfer case were first on the to-do list today.
Once that was done, I switched over to replacing the radiator.

and....
Her heart is back in. Just need to connect EVERYTHING and get fluids pumping.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180729_160843.jpg (697.4 KB, 9 views)
Other rides:
History:
Thor Hammer (07-30-2018)
 Old 08-01-2018, 11:58 PM   #187

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Okay. So she runs.

Held it to 1500+ and let the coolant circulate. Dribbled more in as required. Once I felt it was good to go, no leaks, etc I took it for a drive. Had to pull over a mile up the road to add more coolant. Then continued home. Buddy was in chase/support vehicle if I had any issues and to bring me back to the shop to get my truck once the car was at home.

Kept the RPMs up the whole drive. Left it in 5th on the interstate. Did multiple part throttle / low boost pulls from 60 to 80. Peaked at 9psi, but most pulls were about 5-7psi. KR peaked at 0.7, so that's nothing. Grams/sec peaked at 150. Peak rpm was 4400ish. 17 miles on it now.

In the rush to get it buttoned up tonight, forgot to plug in the windshield wiper motor. Ugh. Still need to remount EBCS because the fastener went missing. Worst of all though, forgot to torque lug nuts. They were tightened with a battery impact driver (not impact wrench) which gets them pretty snug, but not spec tight.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (625.5 KB, 4 views)
Solarsurge and Db09ms3 like this.
Other rides:
History:
 Old 08-03-2018, 09:59 AM   #188

Thor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the world
Groans: 195
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Okay. So she runs.

Held it to 1500+ and let the coolant circulate. Dribbled more in as required. Once I felt it was good to go, no leaks, etc I took it for a drive. Had to pull over a mile up the road to add more coolant. Then continued home. Buddy was in chase/support vehicle if I had any issues and to bring me back to the shop to get my truck once the car was at home.

Kept the RPMs up the whole drive. Left it in 5th on the interstate. Did multiple part throttle / low boost pulls from 60 to 80. Peaked at 9psi, but most pulls were about 5-7psi. KR peaked at 0.7, so that's nothing. Grams/sec peaked at 150. Peak rpm was 4400ish. 17 miles on it now.

In the rush to get it buttoned up tonight, forgot to plug in the windshield wiper motor. Ugh. Still need to remount EBCS because the fastener went missing. Worst of all though, forgot to torque lug nuts. They were tightened with a battery impact driver (not impact wrench) which gets them pretty snug, but not spec tight.
Congrats! That's got to feel good to have it running! Nice work man.
2007 MS6- H&R Coilovers/ C-PE Catted DP/Corksport HPFP Internals/ AEM CAI/ ETS TMIC/ CPE Austenite Dual CBE/ CPE TIH/ Synapse Synchronic/ Freektuned/ AP Short Shifter/ AWR RMM and OEM TMM with CS Inserts/ Southbend Stage 2 Endurance/Stop Tech Slotted Rear and DBA T3 4000 Series Front with EBC Reds/CPE xFlex Rear Diff Mount/ Whiteline Rear Sway Bar/DSS Level 2.9 Rear Axles
Thor Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Thor Hammer For This Useful Post:
Fstrnyou (08-03-2018)
 Old 08-03-2018, 11:39 AM   #189

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Thanks.

Heading to lunch yesterday, CEL was lit up. Checked it after work and found 3 codes for my O2 sensor. So it either got damaged during removal/install, or I didn't plug it in correctly. The black plug went together smoothly and clicked. The gray plug had some resistance going together and didn't click. So thats where I'm guessing the problem is. Either way, I ordered a new sensor because I believe the current sensor is the original. I'll change it out on Monday.

Onlookers have pointed out that I'm running rich due to blackish smoke. Better rich than lean I guess. New O2 will take care of that.

Aside from running rich and stumbling around a bit at idle recovery, it drives good. Been doing low boost (5-8psi) pulls from time to time during the first 50miles. Changed oil at 58 miles yesterday. 100 miles on it now and still doing frequent low boost pulls and I snuck in an 11 psi pull late last night. I haven't been revving it out though. Hadn't gone past 4500ish yet, so the pulls have been short.

Why am I doing pulls with a non-functional O2?
Because in boost, the O2 is monitoring only and my MAFcal is pretty dang close. I've been monitoring KR and it's not registering anything above the typical blips of 0.35 and 0.70 that show up from regular driving around.
Other rides:
History:
 Old 08-03-2018, 04:20 PM   #190

Not Ranked  0 score     

If it doesn’t blow up in the first 5-10 miles there’s a good chance she’ll hold for a while.

Old 08-03-2018, 06:27 PM   #191

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Ya, I've read threads where new builds went WOT no sooner after they got out of the neighborhood. Lol.

I just rolled past 240. I'll probably go WOT on wastegate boost when I crest 500miles.
Other rides:
History:
 Old 08-09-2018, 10:38 PM   #192

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

650 miles now.

Oil Plan:
0-58 miles: Lucas 30wt Break-In Oil
58-636: Lucas 30wt Break-In Oil
636-(2000): Conventional 10w-40
(2000)-(5000): Conventional 10w-40
After 5000 miles, I'm going back to Synthetic 5w-40.

Fixed O2 issue today. Found out I plugged the gray primary O2 connector into the wrong gray harness connector...which was for the downstream O2.

Fuel trims are spot on from before the engine swap.

Multiple WOT pulls soon followed at 0% WGDC.
At about 3400 revs, I hit wastegate pressure of 11psi as expected.
On the way to 6500, boost has made it's way to 19psi.
Thank you Corksport for the continued boost creep issue that was "resolved" a few years back.
(during engine swap, I made sure the wastegate preload was set to 1 turn)
But...whatever. I'll just tune it out by tapering WGDC to flatten out the boost curve.

So anyways. No KR was registered in any of the logs, but I'll leave it as it is with the boost creep tune until I get more miles on it. While it's likely just fine to go full send, I'll work up to it as I feel more comfortable with how it's running.

I'm thinking at around 1000 to 1500 miles, I'll bump up the boost to match my previous 20psi tune I ran on the stock block. All flow items being the same, I should be able to copy/paste that WGDC table into the current tune and get pretty close if not spot on. If all is good with that, I'll put some timing back into it. I pulled 2 degrees from everything above 1.00 load just for safety sake during break-in.

I won't even bother loading my 22psi tune because I'm expecting the last of my air-water intercooler cores to arrive in the next few weeks. So that'll be the next big project on my way to maxing out the CS Turbo on pump 93.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2018-08-09 20.43.11.jpg (1.09 MB, 1 views)
Other rides:
History:

Last edited by Fstrnyou; 08-10-2018 at 05:12 PM.
 Old 08-13-2018, 12:05 PM   #193

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Just over a thousand miles in. 20psi tune is flashed...which is more like 19psi since I reset my wastegate preload. Everything seems to be running smooth.

However, I'm having difficulty keeping the TIP on the turbo. I've read about this before, but I wasn't having this problem at the time. It seems the inside of the silicone has developed this buildup of goo that is really sticky but gooey to where the silicone can slowly slide off with a little bit off wiggling and tugging even though the t-bolt clamp is so tight it feels like it's on the verge of breaking. While tightening, I'm pushing the TIP in the fully seated position. Clamp is all the way to the edge of the TIP as to keep it away from the edge of the turbo inlet. As I tighten the clamp, even while pushing on the TIP, it is being squeezed off a little. It settles about 1/4" away from being fully seated. As I put miles on, engine vibrations will slowly work the TIP off the rest of the way.

I tried cleaning it the other day when I fixed my O2 snafu, but general cleaners did nothing to remove the goo. I guess I'll pull out the big guns tonight and hope that I don't completely fubar this intake.
Other rides:
History:
 Old 08-13-2018, 01:53 PM   #194

Not Ranked  0 score     

for your tip once cleaned, you may try some gasket glue or ''air spray'' to help it. If the aluminium tip is polished, you can also sand it to make some grooves...

Wife drive 2010 CX7

Old 08-13-2018, 03:13 PM   #195

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

It briefly crossed my mind to weld on a v-band...lol.

The other thought was to machine a few barb-type ribs into it, but that'd only make it too small to work properly as ribs are typically larger than the hose ID.

Clean silicone on clean metal should stick quite well. So I'll try that first.
Other rides:
History:
 Old 08-19-2018, 05:12 PM   #196

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Cleaning the goo has worked so far. TIP is staying put.

On to other news, I FINALLY got off my lazy ass and finished my trunk mount battery project. I've had the bracket bolted down for many many months and just never got back to finishing it... until this weekend.

The bracket is made by Trail Gear. I either got it from Summit or Amazon maybe. Had to do some modifying to make it work with the 51r. I'll be swapping to a full size maintenance-free battery in the near future when I install support feet on the bracket corners and a circuit breaker.

On the bracket, I have 2 layers of neoprene (1 is relief cut for the flange nuts). On that is a battery acid neutralizing mat with a plastic liner on the back side. When the battery sits on it, it creates somewhat of a bowl to capture leaks IF I have any. That's why I left it a bit large.

I crimped all the terminal ends with a Temco tool. Smash it with a hammer and it crimps the ends like a boss.

All cables are 1/0. Wrapped in a plastic woven loom. I don't recall which plastic. It's pretty tough though. And of course all end are heat shrinked.

At the engine bay end, I used the bracket from the HTP kit. Pretty straight forward.

Hardest part was getting that donkey dick of a cable through the firewall grommet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180819_173241.jpg (745.8 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 20180819_174138.jpg (686.3 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 20180819_174950.jpg (789.8 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 20180819_175024.jpg (521.2 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 20180819_175120.jpg (781.0 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 20180819_175312.jpg (852.0 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 20180819_175727.jpg (872.8 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 20180819_140920.jpg (730.9 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 20180819_140944.jpg (725.2 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 20180819_141224.jpg (722.9 KB, 6 views)
Other rides:
History:
 Old 08-20-2018, 10:37 AM   #197

Not Ranked  0 score     

Nice install!
It is better to take time to run the wire and protection away from body ground like you did than installing a breaker for peace of mind. The size it need to be to support starting current, make it a bit large to trip for a carpet fire.....

I would get an agm battery or one that isn't making vapors like a lead acid. I don't know the risk level of filling the whole trunk with hydrogen vapors but who knows...I did see what a defective battery could do against a hood and you don't want that....

Wife drive 2010 CX7

Old 08-20-2018, 10:40 AM   #198

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Ya, a maintenance-free lead-acid battery is sealed and won't give off vapors. I'll get one either this paycheck or next.
Other rides:
History:
 Old 08-21-2018, 04:39 PM   #199

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Open mouth, insert foot.
My "20psi" tune didn't last long.
Checked compression 3 days ago at the shop.
I predicted 190-195. My buddy predicted 205.
All plugs removed, started with cyl 4.
170. Hmm, okay. Well, my ring gaps were set to .024/.026 and its sitting at about 1200 miles. So I guess it's okay-ish.
Next up, cyl 3.
170. Sweet. Just like #4 .
Time for cyl 2.
170. Man, these things are wearing/seating consistently.
Lastly cyl 1.
190. WTF?!!!

Grab the leakdown tester.
Cylinder 1 is all sealed up. No audible leaks.
Cylinder 2-4 we can hear air coming from the intake air filter. (my valve cover is connected direct to the TIP)
Okay, so I have some blow-by. 170 isn't horrible, but nowhere near what I expected. But what about that 190 cyl 1? Can it be that only 1 of the 4 cylinders is good and seated? They all see the same loads. Same timing, same fuel. How can 1 cylinder seat so much faster than the others? Why is that 1 is so good? Or how my buddy put it, "why are the other 3 that bad?"

So what do I do? I send it like its never been sent before. I crank the boost up and get those rings pushed out against those cylinder walls. Now running 24-25psi from 4000 to redline.

This might sound crazy, but I think it's working. I need to confirm with a compression check of course, but my turbo is spooling noticeably faster. The other night, I was at 18psi by 3000. (Starting 4th gear pulls at 2200) DISCLAIMER: don't try this at home.

So anyways, I'm going to keep sending it unless the next compression check comes back with lower numbers which will make me cry like a girl.
Db09ms3 likes this.
Other rides:
History:
Thor Hammer (08-22-2018)
 Old 08-21-2018, 08:51 PM   #200

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Another milestone has come. FINALLY I have all the W2A intercooler cores from Treadstone. Ordered them in January.

Time to pick up a sheet of 1/8" thick 5052 and start measuring, cutting, measuring, bending, measuring, welding, etc.

I already have about 8' of 2.5" x .065 6061 tube.
I need couplers and clamps.
I've had a water pump since college when I had plans to W2A my RX7, which never happened.
I still need to get a bunch of heater hose, easy.
And I still need to finalize my plans for the heat exchanger.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180821_224213.jpg (756.3 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 20180821_224223.jpg (775.1 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 20180821_224335.jpg (765.4 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 20180821_224254.jpg (855.1 KB, 1 views)
Other rides:
History:
andale927 (08-21-2018)