register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Build Diaries

MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Build Diaries MazdaSpeed 3/6 - General Build Threads/Diaries

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By wyeto

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 12-03-2014, 07:16 PM   #1

wyeto is the leader of the worldwyeto is the leader of the worldwyeto is the leader of the worldwyeto is the leader of the worldwyeto is the leader of the worldwyeto is the leader of the worldwyeto is the leader of the worldwyeto is the leader of the worldwyeto is the leader of the worldwyeto is the leader of the worldwyeto is the leader of the world
Groans: 0
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default Wyeto's zoom zoom boom n' build daily driver

Hello gents,
As some of you may know my stock block cracked (I have yet to investigate and rip it apart) and its time to build a forged motor. I figured I might as well start a build thread to help me keep track of everything and to have members out there give me advice as I am new to all of this.

CAR

2009 CWP Mazdaspeed 3
aprox 65k miles

GOAL: Reliable daily driver that can handle some spirited driving and possibly autocrossing and tracking (if my wallet can grow back after this mess). I will be throwing on a gt2871r. I want to pull as much power as I possibly can out of the set up I have with reliability being the main concern as well as being able to pass smog every 2 years... because Cali.

Why a gt2871r you ask? Because I found a used one on craigslist before the zzb. I wanted ATP to check it out to make sure it wasnt toast before I bought it. The seller agreed and said if they found anything wrong with it he would discount that from the price he was asking which was $800. ATP did their inspection and found a good amount wrong with it.. haha. They quoted $760 to rebuild it. The seller was really cool and told me I could just keep it! So I am getting a rebuilt turbo for 760

PARTS LIST:
Engine
Manley H Beam Rods
SP63 Custom Pistons
OEM or Clevite Bearings
Southbend Stage 2 Endurance Clutch Kit
Relentless Customs pnp intake mani
pnp cylinder head?
JBR rear and passenger mount, Street unit Tranny mount
JBR Oil Pan Baffle
JBR TIG's
JBR EGR delete
COBB AP
BSD? heard mixed reviews
CPE TIP
Intake - undecided suggestions needed
Intercooler - Undecided, would love simplicity of top mount but might have to dish out cash for fmic
CPE Catted DP
CPE Injector Seals
Corksport CBE
Autotech HPFP internals
Grimmspeed EBCS
NGK One Step Colder

Suspension
Koni Yellow's
H&R Sport Springs
Tri Point Rear Sway
Hotchkiss Front Sway
SPC Camber Arms

Wheels
18x8 OZ Ultralaggera
stock size tires 215/45/18 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3

Half of this stuff I either already had on there before the zzb, some I was waiting to put on, some I have just ordered and some I need suggestions on.

The block is going to be built by a family friend of mine who has owned his families machine shop all his life. They got the block into the shop yesterday, I am going in tmrw to inspect it with him. I'm excited to have the opportunity to watch him work and learn as much as I can in the process.
wyeto is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to wyeto For This Useful Post:
ItsNox (12-05-2014), Justin@Freektune (04-28-2015), Lex (12-05-2014), Scare Dem (12-05-2014), stanley0910 (12-05-2014), Swinger13 (02-23-2015)
 Old 12-05-2014, 03:53 AM   #2

stanley0910 is the leader of the worldstanley0910 is the leader of the worldstanley0910 is the leader of the worldstanley0910 is the leader of the worldstanley0910 is the leader of the worldstanley0910 is the leader of the worldstanley0910 is the leader of the worldstanley0910 is the leader of the worldstanley0910 is the leader of the worldstanley0910 is the leader of the worldstanley0910 is the leader of the world
Groans: 6
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Good luck with build! I would consider fmic for the autocross, it's not much weight, but it helps lower the center of gravity. Get some JBR piping and a TR8 core and I think you'll get what you need and be happy with it.
 Old 12-05-2014, 03:59 AM   #3

kbz0129 is the leader of the worldkbz0129 is the leader of the worldkbz0129 is the leader of the worldkbz0129 is the leader of the worldkbz0129 is the leader of the worldkbz0129 is the leader of the worldkbz0129 is the leader of the worldkbz0129 is the leader of the worldkbz0129 is the leader of the worldkbz0129 is the leader of the worldkbz0129 is the leader of the world
Groans: 4
Groaned at 16 Times in 10 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Good luck, I don't believe you're going to need to PnP your cylinder head at all with the power that the Gt2871 is going to put out. There are people close to 500 Hp on stock heads.
kbz0129 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 12-05-2014, 04:17 AM   #4

Scare Dem is the leader of the worldScare Dem is the leader of the worldScare Dem is the leader of the worldScare Dem is the leader of the worldScare Dem is the leader of the worldScare Dem is the leader of the worldScare Dem is the leader of the worldScare Dem is the leader of the worldScare Dem is the leader of the worldScare Dem is the leader of the worldScare Dem is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,538 Times in 852 Posts
Groaned at 7 Times in 7 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Nice list of parts man.

Any idea how that turbo got trashed? Lol

And what about exhaust mani?

Is the turbo internally waste gated?

2008 Mazdaspeed3 GT
GTX2867r

Scare Dem is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 12-05-2014, 05:33 AM   #5

stanley0910 is the leader of the worldstanley0910 is the leader of the worldstanley0910 is the leader of the worldstanley0910 is the leader of the worldstanley0910 is the leader of the worldstanley0910 is the leader of the worldstanley0910 is the leader of the worldstanley0910 is the leader of the worldstanley0910 is the leader of the worldstanley0910 is the leader of the worldstanley0910 is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Also depending on what size intake you are looking for Corksport and James Barone have both released new true inside diameter 3.0"/3.5" intakes.
 Old 12-05-2014, 04:30 PM   #6

wyeto is the leader of the worldwyeto is the leader of the worldwyeto is the leader of the worldwyeto is the leader of the worldwyeto is the leader of the worldwyeto is the leader of the worldwyeto is the leader of the worldwyeto is the leader of the worldwyeto is the leader of the worldwyeto is the leader of the worldwyeto is the leader of the world
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by kbz0129 View Post
Good luck, I don't believe you're going to need to PnP your cylinder head at all with the power that the Gt2871 is going to put out. There are people close to 500 Hp on stock heads.
I agree, plenty of cars out there with stock heads. But I figure if I can get some more flow out of it I might as well do it while I have it off the car.
I am planning to get tuned by freek tune and I was talking to him about his build with the gtx2867 (which is originally what I wanted). He had his machine shop pnp the head and do a 5 angle valve job, with meth I believe he was in the 440 whp range. If I can find a good price on a pnp locally I figure I will beat myself up later if I dont go for it.

Originally Posted by Scare Dem View Post
Nice list of parts man.

Any idea how that turbo got trashed? Lol

And what about exhaust mani?

Is the turbo internally waste gated?
Turbo is IWG and it has the 6 psi spring. I talked to Justin and he reccomended going with the 12-14 psi spring. ATP quoted me 95 to switch it... trying to figure out if its worth it. What do you guys think?

As for the turbo its a pretty funny story.
The guy who I got it from worked at a dealership. They sold a mazdaspeed 3 with a gt2871 and a bunch of other mods on it. 2 years later when the kid went to get it smogged he didnt pass haha. He took it back to the dealership and by law they had to switch it out with stock parts. So he grabbed all the parts off of it and sold them on craigslist. He was a super honest nice guy and when I came back from ATP with the report he just told me to keep it.

I am still going to get that cpe tip and grimmspeed ebcs from him and he even offered me that for free. Im gonna give him a benji and thank him for his troubles haha.

I was planning on staying away from exhaust mani because quite frankly I'm affraid of getting pulled over and having a dick cop look at my bay and see too many things in it and getting a large fine or a tow.

Im trying to keep this stealth... haha

Originally Posted by stanley0910 View Post
Also depending on what size intake you are looking for Corksport and James Barone have both released new true inside diameter 3.0"/3.5" intakes.
Hmm good to know, these might have to be the route I go for.
trying to find something used first so I dont have to drop too much for an intake.
trying to keep this "budget build"... I like to lie to myself haha.

Little update.

Engine was received at the machine shop earlier this week!
I went in yesterday and learned how to take rods and a crank out. We put it in a hot wash and cleaned it up.

Going in on tuesday to do some more work on it.

Tasks at hand are:
pick out pistons - Pablo has a set of his custom pistons in 88mm size with stock comp ratio. Think I'm gonna shwoop those up early next week unless someone can recommend a reason to go with another set of pistons.

Find a torque plate - Anyone out there have one I can borrow before I spend 150 or whatever it is through massive?

Pick Bearings - Probably just end up going OEM, unless anyone has a reason to go with anything else?

Decide on BSD or keep the Balance Shaft - On the fence with this one. I definitely want a windage tray in my oil pan but I have been doing some reading and it seems some people feel strongly about not deleting the Balance shaft due to stress on engine components. Others feel strongly about deleting it because it robs oil that can be used elsewhere..? Either way I have no clue which to go with. THis is a dd and vibes might be too strong but I think I could get used to it if its not too gnarly. But then again I dont want any long term damage since I want to keep this car as my dd as long as I can.
 Old 02-02-2015, 03:33 PM   #7

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Little update on the progress.

I have been stockpiling parts this far, almost have everything ordered and getting the ball rolling!

Pistons 88mm speedperformance custom pistons

Heres the torque plate I bought from BHJ, if anyone would like to borrow it feel free to message me

Southbend Stage 2 Endurance Clutch

Manley H Beam Rods

I ended up going with the king main bearings (MB5442SI) that I see other people have used. Going to order the king xp rod bearings soon.

I also added a quaife diff to my list of things as well as the speed performance brass shift forks.

Bent valves from the blown engine I got off craigslist (using the head and other timing components)

A rod broke in this cylinder and got stuck and bent all 4 valves in the combustion chamber.

Measured the stock head bolts that came off the craigslist engine and they are within spec so I am going to use them for the torque plate when boring the cylinders and put on new stock head bolts when i put the head on. Was playing with the idea of the L19 head studs but it seams to be overkill for what I'm trying to do I think I will be fine with stock bolts.

Got my oil pan baffle from jbr and going to weld up the bs oil port.
Also went with ARP flywheel bolts and cam bolts.

Still trying to decide if I want to port my head. I think I might have to pass on it.

Started balancing my rods/pistons and starting to get really excited
The Following User Says Thank You to wyeto For This Useful Post:
Scare Dem (02-02-2015)
 Old 02-02-2015, 03:49 PM   #8
Lex
Engineered Tuning

Lex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the world
Thanked 23,362 Times in 6,958 Posts
Groans: 13
Groaned at 44 Times in 38 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

A fun build!

Don't forget to add a 3" or 3.5" intake and a 3 bar MAP sensor to the parts list.

Also what fuel are you using? If you have access to E85 locally it will be great for around 400whp.

We Engineer, and that's better than just tuning!

www.stratifiedauto.com
COBB AP and VersaTuner Custom Tuning. Guardian Angel Protection and Boost Control.
Lex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lex For This Useful Post:
wyeto (02-02-2015)
 Old 02-02-2015, 05:04 PM   #9

sheston is the leader of the worldsheston is the leader of the worldsheston is the leader of the worldsheston is the leader of the worldsheston is the leader of the worldsheston is the leader of the worldsheston is the leader of the worldsheston is the leader of the worldsheston is the leader of the worldsheston is the leader of the worldsheston is the leader of the world
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Looks like a great build. Eager to see what you end up with.
sheston is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sheston For This Useful Post:
wyeto (02-02-2015)
 Old 02-02-2015, 10:33 PM   #10

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Lex View Post
A fun build!

Don't forget to add a 3" or 3.5" intake and a 3 bar MAP sensor to the parts list.

Also what fuel are you using? If you have access to E85 locally it will be great for around 400whp.
Your right I forgot to add that to the list but those were both in the plans for the build.

I was planning on a 3" intake so I dont have to move the battery tray. Are there significant gains to going with a 3.5" over the 3"?

I dont have e85 anywhere near me
closest is about 45 mins away, so I'm stuck with 91...

I plan on going with meth eventually but for now I have enough going on haha. Trying to keep it simple as I have been learning everything as I go.
 Old 02-17-2015, 07:18 PM   #11

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

My daily driver for the time being haha.

Its amazing how many people ask me about this car. 1967 vw bug

I finally found a place to pull my engine and started pulling stuff off.

Updates to come when I find a decent camera.. I will try and take as many pics as possible for everyone else.
doctavus likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to wyeto For This Useful Post:
Cheapspeed (04-24-2015)
 Old 02-23-2015, 10:34 PM   #12

Swinger13 is the leader of the worldSwinger13 is the leader of the worldSwinger13 is the leader of the worldSwinger13 is the leader of the worldSwinger13 is the leader of the worldSwinger13 is the leader of the worldSwinger13 is the leader of the worldSwinger13 is the leader of the worldSwinger13 is the leader of the worldSwinger13 is the leader of the worldSwinger13 is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,786 Times in 1,023 Posts
Groans: 53
Groaned at 45 Times in 25 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

a gt28 on a built engine will be nuts, quick spool and torque for days

Performance:

Stratified Tune in progress

Old Set-up: CS Ram air intake with 3" HTP inlet + "sig"
Vdyno 323 awhp 349 awtq uncorrected

Current Set up: JBR 3.5" WP, Perm PCV w/dual catch cans, trunk battery
Vdyno 343 awhp 374 awtq uncorrected

Corksport CBE ~ Ebay DP ~ Autotech Internals ~ COBB AP ~ BC Racing Coilovers ~ SURE shortcut ~ SURE countershift ~ SURE anchors ~ heavy sphere shift knob by maisonvi (MSF member) ~ CP-E seals ~ BSD ~ baffle pan ~ Dual Corksport OCC ~ CP-E Rear Diff Mount ~ SURE Juggernaught ~ Dashhawk ~ AWR 88 duro trilogy ~ EGR delete ~ 3 bar ~ JBR TIG's ~ Grimmspeed 3 port ~ GT2871R w/ported hotside ~ JBR 3.5 inch intake ~ Perm Tuning PCV Plate ~ Forge V1 BPV ~ ITV22's @ .026" ~ CP-E Helihose
Swinger13 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Swinger13 For This Useful Post:
wyeto (03-13-2015)
 Old 03-13-2015, 07:07 PM   #13

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Little update!

Finally got the motor and trans pulled yesterday!
I quit one of my jobs to get this project done. (hows that for car dedication!)
and made some serious progress. I started pulling the intake and battery off and just took everything in very small steps and took my time and did things day by day. I made sure to take pictures and label everything I could. One of my other buddies was recently unemployed and he is very mechanically inclined and he was great help.

Our project ended up like this yesterday

Stoked on this!

The new engine is still in the process of being built but I have some other things to do while I wait. I am gonna paint my timing and valve cover and some interior things, and as soon as my shift forks from speed performance come I am going to install those as well as the quaife dif.

my gt2871r

my block getting bored finally
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wyeto For This Useful Post:
Micha (03-28-2015), Scare Dem (03-14-2015)
 Old 03-13-2015, 09:33 PM   #14

TurboSix has a reputation beyond reputeTurboSix has a reputation beyond reputeTurboSix has a reputation beyond reputeTurboSix has a reputation beyond reputeTurboSix has a reputation beyond reputeTurboSix has a reputation beyond reputeTurboSix has a reputation beyond reputeTurboSix has a reputation beyond reputeTurboSix has a reputation beyond reputeTurboSix has a reputation beyond reputeTurboSix has a reputation beyond repute
Groans: 2
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Nice looking build man! Can't wait to see what it puts out when your done. Have fun with it
HTP 3" | Corksport TBE | CP-E TMIC | JBR Boost Tubes | Autotech Internals | Freektuned | CP-E Rear Diff Mount | SURE Juggernaught | JBR RMM | CS TMM Insert | Damond SSP | JBR Shifter Bushings | Damond OCC | Damond Banjo Bolt | Block8head Vent Pod with Defi Red Racer Boost Gauge[/I]
TurboSix is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 03-14-2015, 07:35 PM   #15

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by TurboSix View Post
Nice looking build man! Can't wait to see what it puts out when your done. Have fun with it
thanks man, at first I was stressed but now I am having fun with all of it.
 Old 03-14-2015, 09:36 PM   #16

voodoo2crue is the leader of the worldvoodoo2crue is the leader of the worldvoodoo2crue is the leader of the worldvoodoo2crue is the leader of the worldvoodoo2crue is the leader of the worldvoodoo2crue is the leader of the worldvoodoo2crue is the leader of the worldvoodoo2crue is the leader of the worldvoodoo2crue is the leader of the worldvoodoo2crue is the leader of the worldvoodoo2crue is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

subbed gonna be fun watching. Goodluck.
Self Tuned BNR S4/SP63 4032 88mm pistons/Manley Rods/Power XS Manifold/JBR BSD with Baffle Plate/Cobb APv3/Cobb XLE BPV/CMGS Stg2 w/DO14/CPE TMIC/Autotech HPFP internals/JBR Tru-3 Intake/JBR Boost tubes/JBR EGR delete/Custom
1liter OCC/CPE xflex RMM/CPE Injector Seals/Eibach Pro Springs/Ebay Downpipe/Custom 3" TBE with Vibrant Resonator/Magnaflow Muffler/TB Coolant Bypass/Bosch 3 bar map/ACT 6 puck/GS EBCS 3port interrupt/SP63 VC breather
Plugs-NGK LTR7IX-11(6510)
Oil-RP 10/30
Tires-235 40 18 Federal 595 rsrr
Brakes-EBC Yellow pads with ATE 200 fluid

Check out my wheelwell page here. If your a member hit me up.
https://www.wheelwell.com/profile/558b073762d1852928f23712/garage/
voodoo2crue is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 03-14-2015, 10:02 PM   #17

Scare Dem is the leader of the worldScare Dem is the leader of the worldScare Dem is the leader of the worldScare Dem is the leader of the worldScare Dem is the leader of the worldScare Dem is the leader of the worldScare Dem is the leader of the worldScare Dem is the leader of the worldScare Dem is the leader of the worldScare Dem is the leader of the worldScare Dem is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,538 Times in 852 Posts
Groaned at 7 Times in 7 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Looking good. Keep up the progress.

2008 Mazdaspeed3 GT
GTX2867r

Scare Dem is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 03-25-2015, 06:35 PM   #18

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Crank balanced, needs a polishing and flywheel needs to be balanced then we check bearing clearances and it should be ready to assemble.

I painted my valve cover wrinkle black and its looking pretty sweet.
I plan on adding the MPS logo on the bottom right in white.

This week I need to get my HPFP internals installed, I need to make some oil and coolant lines for my gt28 and I need to see i I can find someone to annodize the FMIC I went with (TR10C) as well as order a few more parts.

Hopefully by the time I have this done the short block will be assembled as well as the head.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg unnamed-19.jpg (34.8 KB, 16 views)
 Old 04-15-2015, 04:12 AM   #19

brandontrek is the leader of the worldbrandontrek is the leader of the worldbrandontrek is the leader of the worldbrandontrek is the leader of the worldbrandontrek is the leader of the worldbrandontrek is the leader of the worldbrandontrek is the leader of the worldbrandontrek is the leader of the worldbrandontrek is the leader of the worldbrandontrek is the leader of the worldbrandontrek is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

updates?

I am going through almost the exact same build as you, only my block and shell have 5k miles on them.
brandontrek is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 04-24-2015, 08:19 AM   #20

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by brandontrek View Post
updates?

I am going through almost the exact same build as you, only my block and shell have 5k miles on them.
block is almost done we are just attaching everything now!
Timed it put the oil pan and valve cover on last week.

Hoping to have it bolted up and possibly running by next week or the week after!

Let me know if you have any questions... Because I probably have the same questions haha
 Old 04-27-2015, 07:33 PM   #21

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Big day. Got it all bolted up. Now its time to connect everything up..
Picture is bad but at least its some kind of update haha.

cant wait to get her all done.