register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Build Diaries

MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Build Diaries MazdaSpeed 3/6 - General Build Threads/Diaries

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By xtasy
  • 1 Post By xtasy
  • 1 Post By xtasy

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 11-23-2016, 08:01 PM   #1

xtasy is the leader of the worldxtasy is the leader of the worldxtasy is the leader of the worldxtasy is the leader of the worldxtasy is the leader of the worldxtasy is the leader of the worldxtasy is the leader of the worldxtasy is the leader of the worldxtasy is the leader of the worldxtasy is the leader of the worldxtasy is the leader of the world
Groans: 98
Groaned at 6 Times in 4 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Neutral  +2 score     
Default Xtasy's Sleeper build

Dyno video, 480awhp, 443awtq (Dynosheet on 2nd post)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nm8qbgFNx9c

Its been awhile since I've posted here. The last time I've posted here was probably many years ago when I had my Mazdaspeed3. Well long story short, I sold the Speed3 because of low compression on cylinder 3. Did not want to deal with it and I did not have the knowledge to deal with it at the time. Here's all the mods that's done to the sleeper speed6 and timeline of how it got there.

Performance Mods/fueling/Random mods:
Cobb Accessport, tuned by FREEKTUNE
Built bottom end, stock head
Manley rods, Wiseco piston. Engine put together by Matt Damond
3.5Inch HTP intake
Grimspeed Ported Intake Manifold
PTE 5858 .82AR
Custom Exhaust manifold
Tial 38mm EWG w/ custom dump pipe
CXRacing intercooler piping
Treadstone Tr8l intercooler
Custom Downpipe
White Widow Catback
6th Port injection w/ dual 800cc injectors
Autotech FP internals
DW65C Intank Fuel pump
Damond Motorsports vented OCC
Jbarone Windage Tray
3 Bar Map Sensor
Cobb EBCS
Southbend Stage 3 Endurance Clutch
Kosmic oil return/drain line
EGR Delete, coolant Bypass
JBR thermal insulating gaskets

Drivetrain/mounts:
Damond Motorsports SSP & Solid Shifter bushings
Southbend Stage 3 Endurance Clutch
JBR Full motor mount kit
Corksport rear diff mount

Suspensions:
BC BR Coilovers (awaiting revalve + swift springs)
White line Rear sway bar Kit (will be installed with coils)

Brakes:
EBC Yellow stuff (front and rear)
Might consider Evo Brembos soon.

Free mods:
Weight reduction, stripped out about 220lb of stuff (balance shaft, and washer fluid tank deleted)
Still need to strip out carpets, and front seats for Corbeau 1 piece.
Also need to lose 40lb.
The car is currently sitting at 3380lb.

Future mods:
More weight stripping
Retune for 500+ AWHP
Power steering cooler
Oil cooler
Evo Brembos (front)
Carbotech rear brake pads & new rotors
Corbeau FX1 bucket seats
Looking for OEM style carbon hood
Install Coilovers
Fender flares (rear quarters are rusting, perfect excuse for wider wheels/tires)
Wrap car in Vinyl or liquid wrap using Autodip.
1 More vented catch can
Stainless Clutchline

Exterior Mods:
Not much exterior mods on the car, mainly for the sleeper look.
Bought a Sti Lip, failed to get it to work because the Front mount hangs too low.
The exterior received a 2 stage paint correction followed by Cquartz Paint coating.
Will be stripping off this coating and apply Gtechniq CSL + Exo V2 either on the paint or on top of the vinyl wrap or liquid wrap.

2013-2014
Fast forward a few years. I went from a Mazdaspeed3 to a Honda Fit (don't even ask, midlife crisis, hated that car.) Then 5 months after, bought an Audi B5 S4. Loved that car, but it was a pain to work on. There's also no legroom in the back, tiptronic trans slips when it is cold. End up selling it after the stupid waterpump exploded.

December 2014
After 1.5 months of having no car. I decided to go to a local dealership and check out an Evo 9 MR. I somehow almost ended up with a 2007 Subaru WRX STI. Luckily the bank wanted 20%+ APR. I ended up walking out, lucky I didn't get that car. I probably would've hated it. Went home and jumped on Craigslist. Low and behold, there was a Mazdaspeed6 with a blown motor (spun bearing) on craigslist. It was 8 hours fresh and I messaged the guy right away.

December 29 2014

Went and check it out the same day and end up purchasing it. He originally listed it for $3,500. The car had 129k miles on the Odometer, single owner, Grand Touring with GPS and Sunroof, Cobb AP, CAI, brand new brakes and clutch installed with less than 800 miles before the spun bearing. Ended up talking the price down to $2,300 and the $90 flatbed tow home. Cool guy, I still keep in contact with him.

The plan for the speed6 was to have the motor pulled, drive 100 miles to a known machinist that @phate recommended. Order gaskets, Vvt kit, forged Pistons and rods. And have @mattdamond put the motor together for me and make it on time for the dyno tune.

January 2015
On January, I ordered a full vvt and gasket rebuild kit as well as some misc stuff like HTP 3.5 intake, Grimspeed EBCS, Grimspeed Ported intake manifold. Full JBR high Duro motor mounts & Corksport Rear Diff mount, Autotech HPFP, EGR delete, Corksport injector seals, 3 bar map sensor. Probably a lot more that I forgot to list.

February 2015
There was a guy that was selling a complete turbo kit on one of the FS page on facebook. (EBCS, 3 inch JBR intake, Treadstone intercooler, custom pipings, PTE5858 w/ .82AR, custom Exhaust manifold, and Tial wastegate/dumppipe). I end up picking up this kit for $2,500. Sold the 3 inch JBR intake and the Grimspeed EBCS I originally purchased.

Because of the turbo kit, I realized that the stock clutch is not going to handle the power. The motor and trans was already out, so I might as well order a new clutch. Save money in the long run. Ended up ordering a Southbend Stage 3 Endurance clutch. I didn't know a stage 4 existed. But nonetheless, this is a great clutch and I don't regret my decision.

March 2015
The motor is finally pulled, I had about 3 months to get the motor machined, put back together, reinstall the motor AND break it in before Justin from Freektune flew in to dyno tune our cars. I dropped the motor off to the machinist on mid or late March, I was told that the motor will be ready in roughly 2 months.

April 2015
Received bad news from the Machinist, the damage to the crank was excessive and it needed a new crank. Lucky for the great community, someone sourced me a crank for $500. The crank was already measured and polished, but the machinist checked the measurement again anyways). The shipper was nice enough to have the crank shipped to the machinist. So I didn't need to drive that 200 miles round trip.

May 2015
Late May, I received a phone call from the machinist saying that he needs me to drop off something, I don't remember what it was exactly. I went there and dropped it off, in hopes that I can pick up the motor the same day. The machinist told me that it won't be ready for another few days. So we went ahead and eat around the area. About 75 miles back home, I received a phone call from the machinist, the motor is ready. We went back and picked it up. The next day, we dropped it off at Matt Damond's house. He assembled the motor within a few days.

Reserve + posting pics
Varomnia likes this.
Mazdaspeed6 #10018 TiGrey
Forged Internals, PTE5858.
2015' Freektuned on 93Octane 322/337 (stock top mount and BPV)
2016' Freektuned on e85/93 480/444 (maxed out 3bar map sensor)
Mazda CX-5 AWD Daily

Last edited by xtasy; 11-23-2016 at 10:29 PM. Reason: MSF Database - Automerged Doublepost
xtasy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to xtasy For This Useful Post:
Code Monkey (11-23-2016), Gerbilo (11-29-2016), Snyeed (11-23-2016), Varomnia (11-23-2016)
 Old 11-23-2016, 08:34 PM   #2

xtasy is the leader of the worldxtasy is the leader of the worldxtasy is the leader of the worldxtasy is the leader of the worldxtasy is the leader of the worldxtasy is the leader of the worldxtasy is the leader of the worldxtasy is the leader of the worldxtasy is the leader of the worldxtasy is the leader of the worldxtasy is the leader of the world
(Thread Starter)
Neutral  +1 score     

May 28 2015
The motor is ready to be picked up on May 28th. Right after picking up the motor, I dropped it off at my mechanics. It took nearly a week to get the motor in, rear motor mount bolts were missing, shifter cable was stretched and broken, driveshaft boot ripped, had to grind off couple mm of metal from the block in order to clear the turbo. I also made a mistake of not checking if southbend provided a new throw out bearing. Luckily Mazda had one in stock.

I had exactly 2 days to break in the motor. I was only able to put 200 miles on it. The shifter cable issue took up a whole days worth of time. We ghetto fix the cable because putting in a new one requires the dash to be taken off. And that's a 10+ hour job. Ended up crimping the cable back together. It lasted roughly a rear before I decided to launch the car a little. Sourced another cable, my mechanic was able to somehow fish the cable in and get it done within 2 hours.

May 30 2015
It was time for the tune. The car felt really healthy and responsive. Because of the amount of time we had, we couldn't install the FMIC. Ended up dynoing the car with the stock top mount intercooler and stock bpv.

Dyno numbers were 322AWHP/337AWTQ. Sorry can't find the dyno sheet. Ran out of fuel. But the car pulls great.

Fast forward 1 year later (May of 2016)
The car pulls great. Had the following replaced/Added/removed:
New drive shaft boot
New rear Diff
New power steering pump/line
6th Port injection
DW65C In tank Fuel pump
Weight Reduction (everything behind driver seat is removed)

The car received another Dynotune from Justin @freektune. (Same dyno, roughly 1ish year later)
This time it made 480Awhp/443awtq. It maxed out the 3bar map sensor.

I made a mistake of not changing it out for a 3.5 bar map sensor. Deeply regret it, was hoping for 500awhp. Hopefully Justin will make another trip back and I'll get the 3.5bar in, as well as some other small stuff.

Shortly after the tune, I realize the stock brakes isn't keeping up to the task. Ended up switching the brakepads for EBC yellowstuff and stainless brakelines. Great brake pads, needed to be warm up a little before stomping on the brakes. Probably going to switch over to Evo brembos in the near future.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dyno.jpg (68.3 KB, 46 views)
Varomnia likes this.
Mazda CX-5 AWD Daily

Last edited by xtasy; 11-23-2016 at 09:33 PM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to xtasy For This Useful Post:
Code Monkey (11-23-2016), impossible (03-20-2017), Snyeed (11-23-2016), Varomnia (11-23-2016)
 Old 11-23-2016, 08:58 PM   #3

Varomnia has a reputation beyond reputeVaromnia has a reputation beyond reputeVaromnia has a reputation beyond reputeVaromnia has a reputation beyond reputeVaromnia has a reputation beyond reputeVaromnia has a reputation beyond reputeVaromnia has a reputation beyond reputeVaromnia has a reputation beyond reputeVaromnia has a reputation beyond reputeVaromnia has a reputation beyond reputeVaromnia has a reputation beyond repute
Groans: 0
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by xtasy View Post
May
I made a mistake of not changing it out for a 3.5 bar map sensor. Deeply regret it, was hoping for 500awhp. Hopefully Justin will make another trip back and I'll get the 3.5bar in, as well as some other small stuff.
WOW!

Thanks for posting this. Love your write up!

I was just about to buy the 3 bar until you said this. Now i'll just go futureproof myself and get the 3.5 bar instead. Thanks a million! *travesty avoided
Bitwise connector with Bosch 3.5 bar map sensor
JBR 88RMM 80TMM 80PMM, EBCS, BS and EGR delete.
Varomnia is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Varomnia For This Useful Post:
xtasy (11-23-2016)
 Old 11-23-2016, 09:12 PM   #4

(Thread Starter)
Neutral  +1 score     

Originally Posted by Varomnia View Post
WOW!

Thanks for posting this. Love your write up!

I was just about to buy the 3 bar until you said this. Now i'll just go futureproof myself and get the 3.5 bar instead. Thanks a million! *travesty avoided
Thanks, it was a simple mistake I overlooked. I completely forgot that the car had a 3 bar map sensor. Hopepfully the next dyno run will be at 550 awhp or somewhere close to that.
Varomnia likes this.
Mazda CX-5 AWD Daily
The Following User Says Thank You to xtasy For This Useful Post:
Varomnia (11-23-2016)
 Old 11-27-2016, 11:25 PM   #5

sj9ers is an unknown quantity at this point
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

What parts did you use to replace the driveshaft boot? Mines torn right now and the only to fix it from what I can find online is to replace the whole shaft because the boot isn't sold separately

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
sj9ers is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 11-29-2016, 06:21 PM   #6

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by sj9ers View Post
What parts did you use to replace the driveshaft boot? Mines torn right now and the only to fix it from what I can find online is to replace the whole shaft because the boot isn't sold separately

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
MAZDASPEED 6 PROPELLER SHAFT CV BOOT
Mazda CX-5 AWD Daily
 Old 11-29-2016, 07:36 PM   #7

Gerbilo is the leader of the worldGerbilo is the leader of the worldGerbilo is the leader of the worldGerbilo is the leader of the worldGerbilo is the leader of the worldGerbilo is the leader of the worldGerbilo is the leader of the worldGerbilo is the leader of the worldGerbilo is the leader of the worldGerbilo is the leader of the worldGerbilo is the leader of the world
Groans: 6
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

Looks like you've been busy. Thanks for sharing, keep up the good work. I'll have to keep an eye out around the city for the sleeper.
CP-E Stage 2 RMM & TMIC
Cobb Accessport V3
Autotech HPFP Internals
Pilot Super Sport 235/40/18 - Stock Pu
Pilot Alpin PA3 215/50/17 - Sport Edition CE

2016.5 MGM Mazda CX-5 Touring
Gerbilo is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 03-20-2017, 12:07 PM   #8

Jrs7686 will become famous soon enoughJrs7686 will become famous soon enough
Groans: 1
Groaned at 12 Times in 8 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

With those power and torque numbers, is there anything else you need to upgrade for the drive train? Transfer case, axes, mounts? Do you launch the car hard?
Jrs7686 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 03-20-2017, 08:56 PM   #9

impossible is the leader of the worldimpossible is the leader of the worldimpossible is the leader of the worldimpossible is the leader of the worldimpossible is the leader of the worldimpossible is the leader of the worldimpossible is the leader of the worldimpossible is the leader of the worldimpossible is the leader of the worldimpossible is the leader of the worldimpossible is the leader of the world
Groans: 30
Groaned at 58 Times in 22 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Probably would want to do upgraded t-case bearing caps from White Widow or SP63 if you're gonna be launching often at this power along with DSS rear axles. That's all the upgrades that I'm aware of for the MS6 outside of upgraded diff + motor/trans mounts etc. Custom single-piece driveshaft wouldn't hurt if you're gonna really be dogging on this thing from 0mph often.
GO: GTX2867R + Cp-e LTR Manifold + TiAL 44mm MVR EWG + Kozmic Dump Tube VTA'd / HTP 3.5" Intake / Cobb AP V2 / AT HPFP Internals / Treadstone TR8 FMIC / NGK Iridiums / Stratified EBCS / Bosch 3Bar MAP / M2 Catless 3" DP + HKS Hi-Power Exhaust
/ JBR 88a RMM, 80a PMM / TiAL QR BOV / Kozmic Primary EGR Delete + Kozmic Oil Feed & Return Lines
SHOW: Big TWM Type R knob / JBR Camber Arms / BC Racing BR Type Coilovers / MB Battles w/ 265/35/18 RS-R Meats / Stoptech Slotted Rotors & Hawk HPS Pads + SS Brake lines / Eonon D5151 Head Unit /
Cp-e Triple Gauge Pod / DG Motorsports CF Wing Extension
Tuned by Captain KR @ PD Tuning

2016 Current Setup: Cobb AP V3 / AT HPFP / TR8 FMIC / Coolant Bypass / lil JBR SRI & TIP / DM & JBR Trilogy Mounts / Stratified EBCS / M2 DP / NGK Iridium Plugs / GFB Respons BPV / DM EGR Delete / Kozmic Oil Feed / Pu Valve Cover + SP63 Breather + big K&N Vent filter / RP PCV Plate vented to Kozmic Catch Can / Whiteline 27mm RSB + Moog Endlinks / BSD & Baffle / Gino PNP Intake Mani + SURE TIGs + Corksport 3.5bar MAP & BeCuse Seals / Eonon GA5151F Android Head Unit / 2008+ RX8 Y-spoke wheels / Tuning in progress with 2.0t03speed (Ryan) @ PD Tuning
Parts to Install as of December 2016: FJ Turbo Kit w/ Underrouted hot pipe, T3 BW S360SX 60mm, TiAL MVR 44mm EWG VTA'd, JMF V1 Intake Manifold, Ramfab 4" Intake, Kozmic 6th Port Kit w/ 2200cc Injectors & Upgraded ITFP, Greddy Ti-C catback (Ricer rare special), ACT HD 6-Puck + Gen2 Transmission, TR1035 FMIC
impossible is offline   Reply With Quote