register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3 MZR Gen2 Forums (2010-2013)
> 2010 MS3 - Build Diaries

2010 MS3 - Build Diaries Genpu - General Build Threads/Diaries.

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!
Like Tree25Likes

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 01-14-2018, 04:15 PM   #81

Solarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the world
Groans: 0
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Yeah. It was fíing cold. I had to go back inside every 30 min because I couldnít feel my fingers and toes. lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Solarsurge is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 01-14-2018, 04:25 PM   #82

kTaLgsTo is the leader of the worldkTaLgsTo is the leader of the worldkTaLgsTo is the leader of the worldkTaLgsTo is the leader of the worldkTaLgsTo is the leader of the worldkTaLgsTo is the leader of the worldkTaLgsTo is the leader of the worldkTaLgsTo is the leader of the worldkTaLgsTo is the leader of the worldkTaLgsTo is the leader of the worldkTaLgsTo is the leader of the world
Groans: 10
Not Ranked  0 score     

Yup, that was my cam install... I kept a pot of tea on the stove so I could go inside, pour a cup, and hold it
 Old 01-18-2018, 11:45 PM   #83

Solarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the world
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

New Issues:

1. Corksport MZR BPV is not opening anymore with the BNR S4. The surge is real. Took BPV apart, wave Spring was intact, cleaned it out, relubed it, still nothing. Luke at Corksport asked me to RMA it so they can test it. Back to stock BPV for a bit. Hopefully we get the problem sorted out.

2. I havenít dynoíd the car yet since the new turbo install, but I have hit the point the stock clutch cannot take the torque and is starting to slip. It isnít burning yet, but this turbo definitely has pushed the clutchís capabilities farther than they ever were built to go. I think itís finally clutch/flywheel time. FML. I guess itís probably a good time to do some other little things while Iím down there. Thank GOD thereís some warmer weather ahead...

BNR is also sending me a restrictor bolt for the new turbo and I am getting a new BaysonR front lip thanks to the dead possum in the highway that I hit at 70mph smashing the first one into about 50,000 pieces. Thankfully only the lip was damaged.

More to come...

Old 01-19-2018, 09:38 PM   #84

Fstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the world
Groans: 21
Groaned at 6 Times in 5 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

At what psi did you start having issues with BPV?
Versatuner, 3-bar MAP, ITV22, CP-e TMIC
CS Turbo/DP/RP/HPFP/BPV/R-DiffMount
White Widow F-DiffMount, Whiteline RSB
Rear Russian Bushings, Poly FSB Bushings
Magnaflow CBE, ACT 6-puck/Streetlite
JBR Tru-3.5/3-port EBCS/EGR-D
Damond RMM/PMM/OCC/PCV Plate
Other rides:
2002 Tacoma ExtCab 2.4L 5spd 2WD - 355k mile Speed support vehicle.
2004 Olds Alero ECOtec 2.2 - Broken (since Christmas 2015 and I really need to get rid of it)
History:
2008 GSX-R 1000 - Stolen (With several runs past 180, I'd probably be dead by now if it wasn't stolen. So in a way, I'm thankful.)
1988 RX-7 TII - Sold (Megasquirt, streetport, filter-on-turbo SRI, custom TBE, 20psi boost creep on OE turbo, OE TMIC on ice, 13.467 @ 105.44)
1985 Camaro - Sold (est. 265bhp 5.7 swap, Edelbrock intake & Hooker headers)
Fstrnyou is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 01-19-2018, 09:41 PM   #85

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

As soon as I put in the BNR S4. It was fine with the K04 all the way up to 22psi. Now it wonít open at all, at any PSI. Iím running spring pressure and anything under 15psi I get spooldown, anything over 15psi I get surge. No recirc at all.

Old 01-19-2018, 10:24 PM   #86

Fstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Hmm. Strange.
Mine works fine...for now.
Other rides:
2004 Olds Alero ECOtec 2.2 - Broken (since Christmas 2015 and I really need to get rid of it)
History:
2008 GSX-R 1000 - Stolen (With several runs past 180, I'd probably be dead by now if it wasn't stolen. So in a way, I'm thankful.)
1988 RX-7 TII - Sold (Megasquirt, streetport, filter-on-turbo SRI, custom TBE, 20psi boost creep on OE turbo, OE TMIC on ice, 13.467 @ 105.44)
 Old 01-19-2018, 11:26 PM   #87

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Weíll find out tomorrow when I take it apart again to put in the new restrictor bolt and check all the hoses.

I just got my OEM wheels repaired and new Michelin Pilot Sport 3+ A/S tires today. Tomorrow sheís getting a much needed full detail, alignment check, a suspension inspection to find out the source of some squeaks (likely need new bushings), and some other little things.

My clutch is also on its last legs and my VVT seems to have just started to rattle today. Soooo, looks like I may be in for an expensive week. 🧐

Old 01-20-2018, 11:09 AM   #88

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

That ass, tho...

Old 01-27-2018, 02:10 PM   #89

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Finally got around to replacing my front lip that was smashed by a dead possum on the highway at 70mph. Still need to plasti-dip it matte black to match the rest of the trim, but my babyís whole again.

Old 02-05-2018, 09:23 PM   #90

LKTV will become famous soon enough
Groaned at 6 Times in 2 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Love the build man! I would suggest the BmSpec wing extension to help balance out the front lip and rear. BmSpec makes some superr high qual stuff, looks dope too!
 Old 02-06-2018, 09:56 AM   #91

EwMPS has a reputation beyond reputeEwMPS has a reputation beyond reputeEwMPS has a reputation beyond reputeEwMPS has a reputation beyond reputeEwMPS has a reputation beyond reputeEwMPS has a reputation beyond reputeEwMPS has a reputation beyond reputeEwMPS has a reputation beyond reputeEwMPS has a reputation beyond reputeEwMPS has a reputation beyond reputeEwMPS has a reputation beyond repute
Groans: 8
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by LKTV View Post
Love the build man! I would suggest the BmSpec wing extension to help balance out the front lip and rear. BmSpec makes some superr high qual stuff, looks dope too!
Agree!
Great looking Genpu!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
EwMPS is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 06-09-2018, 05:30 PM   #92

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Update:

I've been having a blast with the new BNR S4 v2 setup. I took it to the track, did a few 1/4 mile pulls, and did some testing. It has some issues that need to a bit of ironing out mostly related to structural rigidity, fuel delivery, and air flow, but it's fast. The time has come for moar powah! I decided to finally bite the bullet and make some very significant upgrades in the coming weeks. I'm still in the planning stage because this has to be done right, but so far, here's what I've decided on and why:

Cobb XLE BPV (Corksport BPV flutters)
JBR Tru-3.5" WP Intake (Moar Airz and better fitment)
JMF v2 with Port Injection (Moar Airz & Moar Fuelz)
Meth Kit Install (Finally)
Corksport Injector Seals (Moar Sealz)
New Plugs (Moar Sparkz)
Full Race Turbo Manifold (Moar Fastz)
Damond Stage 3 OCC Setup (CS OCC isn't Cutting it)
Damond PCV Plate (For New OCC Setup)
cp-e PMM & TMM (Too much wheel hop)
New Suspension Bushings (OEM Bushings too soft)
And more!

There's also a few more surprises in store, so stay tuned!
 Old 06-09-2018, 08:17 PM   #93

Not Ranked  0 score     

MOAR GOES!!!!
LESS SLOWZ!!!!
Other rides:
History:
 Old 06-10-2018, 12:12 PM   #94

JakeMS3 is the leader of the worldJakeMS3 is the leader of the worldJakeMS3 is the leader of the worldJakeMS3 is the leader of the worldJakeMS3 is the leader of the worldJakeMS3 is the leader of the worldJakeMS3 is the leader of the worldJakeMS3 is the leader of the worldJakeMS3 is the leader of the worldJakeMS3 is the leader of the worldJakeMS3 is the leader of the world
Groans: 19
Groaned at 7 Times in 5 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I was starting to wonder where you went man...

Cobb AP V3, CBE
CS Turbo tuned by PD
Corksport Catted DP/HPFP Internals
JBR FMIC Pipe Kit w/TR8
CP-E TIP/3.5" Intake
DM OCC/TMM
Forge V2 BPV
Bilstein B8 w/Swift springs
Wilwood 6 pot BBK
EBC RedStuff rear pads
Konig Hypergram 18x8.5"
JakeMS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 06-10-2018, 08:57 PM   #95

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Old 06-24-2018, 05:07 PM   #96

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

I have some exciting news! I procured another Speed3 today for an absolute steal with a complete, running long block I will be tearing down to use as a donor for an engine build! The body will go to a friend whose frame rusted from driving on salty roads in Chicago. It's about to get real!
 Old 06-30-2018, 07:11 PM   #97

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Picked up the donor car today! Everything looks excellent. The bottom end looks exactly like you'd expect with 190,000 miles on the pistons, but the cylinders are silky smooth, no scoring, no issues. The head was also machined recently and the exhaust valves were replaced. We also found some freebies in the car we weren't expecting, including a cam timing tool, new VVT, timing chain, tensioner, and some other surprises. HUGE win today, even though my back is on fire and I think I need a wheelchair. I cannot believe the dude was selling this car so cheaply! Tomorrow we get to rip the block out and prepare it for the machine shop. Stay tuned!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DonorCar.jpg (3.47 MB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg DonorBay.jpg (88.8 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg DonorHead.jpg (79.4 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg DonorBlock.jpg (284.7 KB, 9 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to Solarsurge For This Useful Post:
Db09ms3 (07-05-2018)
 Old 07-01-2018, 04:27 PM   #98

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Made some progress today. Whole front end disassembled and she's ready to come out, but we ran into a snag because the 190,000 mile old CV axles just will not come out. We need to get a CV puller to finish. Everything else is unhooked, though. She's only in by the engine mounts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Camshafts.jpg (1.55 MB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg RadiatorRemoval2.jpg (1.24 MB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg RadiatorRemoval.jpg (1.23 MB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg JustALittleLeak.jpg (1.32 MB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg AllApart.jpg (1.27 MB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg AllApartCloser.jpg (1.28 MB, 10 views)
 Old 07-01-2018, 08:56 PM   #99

kTaLgsTo is the leader of the worldkTaLgsTo is the leader of the worldkTaLgsTo is the leader of the worldkTaLgsTo is the leader of the worldkTaLgsTo is the leader of the worldkTaLgsTo is the leader of the worldkTaLgsTo is the leader of the worldkTaLgsTo is the leader of the worldkTaLgsTo is the leader of the worldkTaLgsTo is the leader of the worldkTaLgsTo is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

You're making my back hurt
 Old 07-01-2018, 08:59 PM   #100

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by kTaLgsTo View Post
You're making my back hurt

You have no idea... I already threw my back out last week on a downpipe install. I will be doing the engine build from a wheelchair lol

Old 07-04-2018, 05:24 PM   #101

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Happy 4th of July! We spent the day tearing out the engine. Finally got those axles out of the transmission, yanked the motor, tore it all down. Everything went pretty smooth today except for when I slipped off a bolt and punched the helical gear on the crankshaft slicing all 4 knuckles on my hand. As crazy as it sounds, this baby has 190,000 miles on the clock and the clutch still has plenty of life, the flywheel has ZERO wear, axles might as well be brand new, and the entire inside of the motor was pristine. The pistons were a little worn, but the rods, crank, and all the bearings were in great shape. Block stripped and ready to get cleaned and machined at the shop. Stay tuned!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FingARight.jpg (864.8 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg ReadyToHoist.jpg (1.46 MB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg ShesOut.jpg (1.39 MB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg TransOff.jpg (1.62 MB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg Backside.jpg (1.56 MB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg JustALittleClutchDust.jpg (1.06 MB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg FlywheelOff.jpg (1.42 MB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg RuhRoh.jpg (1.59 MB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Pistons.jpg (1.48 MB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg WhereDaEngineGo.jpg (1.31 MB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg WhatAMess.jpg (1.70 MB, 8 views)
 Old 07-04-2018, 05:27 PM   #102

Not Ranked  0 score     

WTF helical gear are you talking about?
Other rides:
History:
 Old 07-04-2018, 05:32 PM   #103

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Fstrnyou View Post
WTF helical gear are you talking about?

The one the balance shaft connects to.

Old 07-04-2018, 06:04 PM   #104

Not Ranked  0 score     

Oh shit. My bad. I forgot about that gear for some odd reason.

Well...good luck with the build. No sense in putting all that stock crap back in. Time to go full forged build. 700hp. GO!
Other rides:
History:
 Old 07-04-2018, 06:12 PM   #105

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Oh shit. My bad. I forgot about that gear for some odd reason.

Well...good luck with the build. No sense in putting all that stock crap backbin. Time to go full forged build. 700hp. GO!
Hah. There's a slight ridge at the top of the cylinders. I think it's just carbon buildup, but I'm waiting for the shop's evaluation of the block before I decide what pistons to order. If I'm gonna need to overbore it, I may go 2.5L. Either way, it's gonna be Manley H+ Rods.
 Old 07-04-2018, 08:50 PM   #106

Not Ranked  0 score     

I was talked into boring mine to 88mm, but I guess the only way to know for sure is to measure an 87.5mm piston and see what your P2W would be. If it's more than 3.5-4 thou, then bore it out.
Other rides:
History:
 Old 07-05-2018, 01:22 PM   #107

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

So, I took my block to the machine shop and got amazing news. All 4 cylinders are perfectly round, crank pin and main journals literally have zero wear, everything is .000" from factory spec, main bearings literally look brand new. After 190,000 miles it's still like a brand new engine inside if not for the oil discoloration. I think I found a unicorn!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MainBearing.jpg (1.26 MB, 11 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to Solarsurge For This Useful Post:
Db09ms3 (07-05-2018)
 Old 07-05-2018, 10:04 PM   #108

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default I Can Genpu, You Can Too!

Decided to go with Manley Platinum Series 87.5 Pistons w/.210" Wall Pins and Manley H-Tuff Plus Rods. Still researching bearings since Clevite H Series mains aren't made anymore for the speeds. Bummer.

Last edited by Solarsurge; 07-06-2018 at 08:04 AM.
 Old 07-18-2018, 08:12 PM   #109

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Got a whole bunch of parts in. Got the block back from the machine shop. Since Iím still waiting for parts, I painted the block today.

Old 07-18-2018, 08:28 PM   #110

Not Ranked  0 score     

I hate your avatar............

But keep up the pictures and progress
 Old 07-18-2018, 08:30 PM   #111

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by kTaLgsTo View Post
I hate your avatar............

But keep up the pictures and progress

Really?? I literally have zero swag. Thatís why itís the perfect avatar for me.

Old 07-18-2018, 09:39 PM   #112

Not Ranked  0 score     

Its the dude in it man.... I don't care what he says... lol. Don't be offended, I just couldn't watch it again without saying something
 Old 07-19-2018, 02:23 PM   #113

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Oh yea, I forgot to mention before that when the head was thoroughly inspected, it turned out the recently redone valves were done poorly. The seats were obviously done by hand and were visibly uneven, so I made the executive call to go with a brand new, fully redone Supertech valvetrain. The head is also being custom worked, crank keyed, and rotating assembly precision balanced by a freaking wizard who works primarily on professional race cars and has taken an interest in my project. I'm so excited I can hardly contain myself. More info to come later.
 Old 07-19-2018, 02:28 PM   #114

Not Ranked  0 score     

I weight matched my stuff to within a few tenths of a gram. I asked to have my crank balanced, and paid for it, but saw no evidence of material removal. Maybe Mazda got it perfect.
Other rides:
History:
 Old 07-19-2018, 02:31 PM   #115

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

I weight matched my stuff to within a few tenths of a gram. I asked to have my crank balanced, and paid for it, but saw no evidence of material removal. Maybe Mazda got it perfect.

Manley was pretty good right out of the box. All my pistons were within 1g and the rods were all within .6g on the little end and 1.2g on the big end. Iím gonna get them even closer, but thatís pretty solid as a starting point.

Old 07-19-2018, 02:54 PM   #116

Not Ranked  0 score     

Ya. They weren't bad. My machine shop only matches to within a gram though, so I did mine myself.

The piston, ring pack, wrist pin and locks, and the small end of the rod are all considered the reciprocating parts. The weight TOTALS should match. You don't have to make all the pistons identical, or all the wrist pins identical. The ASSEMBLY should be identical. Measure everything individually. Then shuffle the components around to get the assembly close. Then weigh the parts as an assembly for an accurate combined weight. This will drastically cut down the amount of grinding/filing necessary to match them. The lightest assembly will be your target. Remove material from the heavier assemblies.
Other rides:
History:
 Old 07-19-2018, 03:00 PM   #117

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Ya. They weren't bad. My machine shop only matches to within a gram though, so I did mine myself.

The piston, ring pack, wrist pin and locks, and the small end of the rod are all considered the reciprocating parts. The weight TOTALS should match. You don't have to make all the pistons identical, or all the wrist pins identical. The ASSEMBLY should be identical. Measure everything individually. Then shuffle the components around to get the assembly close. Then weigh the parts as an assembly for an accurate combined weight. This will drastically cut down the amount of grinding/filing necessary to match them. The lightest assembly will be your target. Remove material from the heavier assemblies.

Yea, Iím well aware. I havenít touched anything yet because Iím still waiting on my bearings before I weigh everything officially and start matching parts and grinding things down. Iíll cover the blueprinting tool I made later down the road. Everything is being measured, weighed, put within spec and balanced.

Old 07-19-2018, 03:19 PM   #118

Not Ranked  0 score     

The bearings will all be identical. But that only matters on the big end. You can match the reciprocating assembly while you wait.
Other rides:
History:
 Old 07-19-2018, 03:24 PM   #119

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

The bearings will all be identical. But that only matters on the big end. You can match the reciprocating assembly while you wait.

Iím also waiting for a new, more accurate scale lol.

Old 07-19-2018, 03:25 PM   #120

Not Ranked  0 score     

Consistent is more important than accurate. I used cheap eBay scales.
Other rides:
History: