register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3 MZR Gen2 Forums (2010-2013)
> 2010 MS3 - Build Diaries

2010 MS3 - Build Diaries Genpu - General Build Threads/Diaries.

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 11-06-2019, 02:37 PM   #1

thyNo0b has a spectacular aura aboutthyNo0b has a spectacular aura aboutthyNo0b has a spectacular aura about
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default thyNo0b's Build

So I got my 2010 Speed3 back in March of this year (2019) and I am just now getting to making my build diary. At first I didn't think it would be very useful to make a build diary since I wasn't planning on doing anything special with the car, but of course I fell in love with the feeling of adding more mods and feeling that gain in power lol. So with where I'm at now with the build, I figured it was about time to start this thread. Timelines may seem a little weird since I'm just now getting to make this thread but here it is. Any advice or help from all of you guys would be greatly appreciated as I am still a No0b to the car building scene.

March 2019 - Purchased a 2010 MazdaSpeed3 with 80k miles.
Current Mods:
3" CorkSport CatBack
2.5" CorkSport SRI w TIP
TurboSmart DualPort BOV
Short Shifter Plate (brand unknown)

September 2019 - Was able to obtain a 3" DP (unknown brand) off of a used MS3 for free that was traded into the dealership as the managers wanted to bring the vehicle back to stock before putting it on the market. Found myself having to baby my car everywhere I went due to the widely known HPFP issues (FML) but quickly ordered some AutoTech HPFP internals and installed them myself on the vehicle.
Current Mods:
3" CorkSport CatBack
3" DP (brand unknown)
2.5" CorkSport SRI w TIP
TurboSmart DualPort BOV
AutoTech HPFP Internals

November 6th, 2019 - I ended up still having to baby my car everywhere I went due to the fact that I did not have an AccessPort after all the above mods were installed. (@MSMS3 thanks for warning me of the dangers of running all of this without an AP before I blew my shit up ) I was able to get an AP through work for free yet again due to the fact that the managers wanted to bring this traded in vehicle back to stock before putting it on the market, only problem is it was a Fiesta ST AP so I had to send it off to Cobb for some AP reprogramming (which I was happy to do considering I did not have to pay for the AP itself) Afterwards I was able to upload an OTS Cobb Stage 2 93 oct map to my vehicle and I loved the way it drove. It was like a whole new vehicle. Then I found that the stock intercooler was a major hold back for the performance of my car, so I went and purchased the CorkSport FMIC (larger core) and installed it on my vehicle along with an OTS Cobb Stage 3 93 oct map. Figured if I got the larger core I would never have to buy another FMIC again lol.
Current Mods:
3" CorkSport CatBack
3" DP (brand unknown)
2.5" CorkSport SRI w TIP
CorkSport FMIC (larger core)
TurboSmart DualPort BOV
AutoTech HPFP Internals
Cobb AcessPort V3

I came across a local Speed3 that came into the shop a few months ago with a blown block and the customer was wanting to know what it would cost to get his car back to running. As you could assume, he became uninterested after seeing the price of a long block + parts for it to handle his whp goals + labor to have it all done, so I bought the car from him instead. I am not entirely sure what the vehicle has in mods as far as suspension goes other than a set of CorkSport lowering springs and adjustable sway bar, however I do know that the vehicle has an aftermarket exhaust manifold (cant remember what brand it was and haven't been able to look at it yet since I haven't towed it to the shop yet) with an EWG GTX3076R setup, water/meth injection, and I believe a 3.5" intake, but I can't exactly remember that either with plenty other supporting mods. I got such a great deal on this car I just couldn't pass up the opportunity, so I guess I'm going with a BT build on my car now. My plan is to install these mods onto my car and have it tuned for a safe 380whp or so until I'm able to tear my block down for a rebuild. I'm ready to be making some real power with this car and looking forward to this community's help and guidance on the way.
thyNo0b is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thyNo0b For This Useful Post:
MSMS3 (11-06-2019)
 Old 11-06-2019, 02:44 PM   #2

Db09ms3 is the leader of the worldDb09ms3 is the leader of the worldDb09ms3 is the leader of the worldDb09ms3 is the leader of the worldDb09ms3 is the leader of the worldDb09ms3 is the leader of the worldDb09ms3 is the leader of the worldDb09ms3 is the leader of the worldDb09ms3 is the leader of the worldDb09ms3 is the leader of the worldDb09ms3 is the leader of the world
Groans: 96
Groaned at 8 Times in 8 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Welcome btw!

Last edited by Db09ms3; 11-06-2019 at 02:44 PM. Reason: MSF Database - Automerged Doublepost
Db09ms3 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 11-06-2019, 02:48 PM   #3

thyNo0b has a spectacular aura aboutthyNo0b has a spectacular aura aboutthyNo0b has a spectacular aura about
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Sorry haha, I will get some pictures posted of my car now and constant updates on the Speed3 I just bought for parts and everything else along the way. Thanks for the heads up
Db09ms3 (11-06-2019)
 Old 11-06-2019, 06:10 PM   #4

MSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,897 Times in 1,042 Posts
Groans: 154
Groaned at 47 Times in 31 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Welcome! Great progress and great plan going forward. Take your time and coordinate each step. There is a lot of potential (and risk) as you move up the power scale.

Check with a reliable BT guys for tips. @mituc; would be the first person I’d check with on a BT build. He may suggest Versatuner rather than Cobb AP for your tune.

Sunlight Silver '08 MS3 GT Mods: (Sold 1/25/2019 after 10+ years of ownership)
BNR Stage 1 (to fix smoking K04 turbo), TurboXS 3" Catless DP/RP "Stealthback" into stock CBE, Vibrant 3 inch Ultra Quiet Resonator in RP section, Magnaflow 3 1/2" exhaust tip, Mazdaspeed CAI w/air straightener and K&N conical filter, NGK 6510 Iridium IX one step colder plugs, Hypertech tune, Autotech HPFP internals, Stock BPV (works perfectly), Yokohama Advan Neova AD08R's (stock size on stock rims); Hawk HPS pads; SURE RMM; Grimmspeed EBCS (2 port mode), Bilstein B6's, SPC rear camber arms.
MSMS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 11-06-2019, 06:41 PM   #5

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

I didn’t think the Cobb AP and Versatuner had any difference in them. I thought they were pretty much just the same thing just different brands and styles, why would Versatuner be any better for a BT build?
MSMS3 (11-07-2019)
 Old 11-07-2019, 06:39 AM   #6

MSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,897 Times in 1,042 Posts
Groans: 154
Groaned at 47 Times in 31 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by thyNo0b View Post
I didn’t think the Cobb AP and Versatuner had any difference in them. I thought they were pretty much just the same thing just different brands and styles, why would Versatuner be any better for a BT build?
Cobb has pretty much abandoned this platform. You will have to pay extra for the privilege to self-tune (and training) or pay someone to e-tune it for you.

Those who use VersaTune are getting spectacular results especially with big turbo built engines. It won’t matter, if you are going to pay someone to tune. There are superbly talented e-Tuners here for both methods. Check the more recent BT threads. You’ll find good information on both options. Many here find VersaTune easier and better. Cobb has left a sour taste in the mouths of many.

Sunlight Silver '08 MS3 GT Mods: (Sold 1/25/2019 after 10+ years of ownership)
BNR Stage 1 (to fix smoking K04 turbo), TurboXS 3" Catless DP/RP "Stealthback" into stock CBE, Vibrant 3 inch Ultra Quiet Resonator in RP section, Magnaflow 3 1/2" exhaust tip, Mazdaspeed CAI w/air straightener and K&N conical filter, NGK 6510 Iridium IX one step colder plugs, Hypertech tune, Autotech HPFP internals, Stock BPV (works perfectly), Yokohama Advan Neova AD08R's (stock size on stock rims); Hawk HPS pads; SURE RMM; Grimmspeed EBCS (2 port mode), Bilstein B6's, SPC rear camber arms.
MSMS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 11-07-2019, 03:11 PM   #7

mituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,137 Times in 1,235 Posts
Groans: 111
Groaned at 17 Times in 14 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Indeed Cobb has abandoned this platform. on the other hand tuners prefer it because of the certifications program, data logging speed and the ability to lock the tunes which reduces the leaks of intellectual property to public.
On the other hand Versatuner allows you to self-tune more - if you have the ability to do so because this is not for everyone.

Other than that it comes down to preference, inconvenience of having a laptop with you for logging (or large tabled) rather than a hand-held device (+ for the AP), the ability to scale tables and to really custom tuning where it counts (+ for VT), and so on.

Personally I prefer Versatuner but being in contact with both I can't say the AP is going to be a lesser or better choice for any valid reason unless you're really hitting those strong points of each of these two approaches. I mean, even MazdaEdit may be a solution, in the end it's all in the hands of the tuner.
Bilstein B12 + CS Camber plates + Eibach camber arms, SSR Type-F, Michelin PS4 225/40/R18, Cobb RMM, StopTech Street Pads + Stoptech Slotted disks, SouthBend Enduro Stage3 clutch, genpu TMM + CS Insert, TheSpeedLine 2X Rear Cross Floor and Rear Middle Lower Strut bars, Tanabe 4 Point Under Brace, Whiteline Bumpsteeer corection kit
JBR Tru-3" + CS CAI Box, CP-e TMIC, Cobb XLE, NGK LTR7IX, UR v3 catted DP and res&catted TP, Cobb CatBack, GS EBCS, Autotech internals, GTX3071r gen2, CS 3.5BAR, Guardian Angel, CoolingMist WMI, VCTS Delete, stock ported IM, CorkSport cam shafts
Mahle 88mm 4032 9.6:1 pistons, Manley rods, CA625+ head studs, King rod&main bearings, CS seals, DCR VVT, Koyorad radiator.
StratiVersaTuned FTW to 28PSI, self-tuned to 32PSI

2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7 6 Speed Manual
SU TMIC, Autotech HPFP internals, Cobb XLE, Cobb EBCS, CorkSport 3.5BAR MAP
GTX2867R gen2, stock spark plugs, stock cats and stock exhaust FTW, JBR Tru-3" Silicone intake
TheSpeedLine Top and Lower Strut bars
self-Versatuned to 22PSI
mituc is offline   Reply With Quote