register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3 MZR Gen2 Forums (2010-2013)
> 2010 MS3 - Build Diaries

2010 MS3 - Build Diaries Genpu - General Build Threads/Diaries.

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Stafford0620

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 03-25-2019, 09:54 AM   #1

Stafford0620 will become famous soon enough
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default Went zoom-zoom-boom. Rebuild time!

Well the car is completely in pieces at the moment but getting out back together as we speak!

To start I have a 2012 "tech" speed and i bought it used back in February and started autoxing the car not long after that. I did the normal things when I bought it, fluid changes all around, nice detail, etc. I knew it needed brakes so I bought it so I bought an EBC setup for a couple hundred bucks. Yellow stuff pads and plaint rotors all around. Love these things but brake dust is a pain. After that she was ready to send it. After about 5-6 events all of a sudden she blew. Completely out of know where. I put her on a trailer and headed home to check the damage.

DAY 1!!!

We knew right away it was bottom end so I broke out the check book and started pulling her out. We decided it was best to pull the motor from the front of the car because we didn't have access to a lift but we have a come along system in our garage so we utilized that. We only took off necessary parts to get it out of the car so we had room to work. Transmission came out with the motor along with the axles. The down pipe was still attached as well. We balanced the motor with our come along and a jack to weave the wiring harness around the motor and keep everything in place. I've personally heard that the power steering would need to be removed in order to take the motor out but we were able to get around it no problem with coming from the front of the car. The only down side is the the AC lines had to be disconnected in order to remove the front clip so we will have to get that all setup again once shes back together. After about 6 hours we got it out and we were exhausted and needed beer.

DAY 2-whatever were at now!!!

Shes out of the car and the motor is surprisingly really clean. No leaks no nothing. We started by taking off the transmission. Went smoothly as expected. Noticed the throw out bearing was completely shot so its another part to add to the list. Tore down as much as possible and we found the evilness we call a rod bearing. Cylinder 3 was shot and number 4 wasn't far from it. Found the crank and a rod had some damage so we sent it and the block to get checked out for issues etc. Several days later we finally have some news. Block is perfectly fine. The machinist ran a stone thru it to give it a good clean and it was ready to rock and roll. Crank on the other hand needed some work but its all fine a dandy now and ready to be inserted into the block of awesomeness. Since the machinist is a long time friend of ours he did the work for free and even got us the right set of rod bearings, rods, and pistons for our rebuild. Awesome guy right! We bought him some lunch and he was happy lol.

Day something idk

We ordered the stage 3 rebuild kit off Edge Auto Sports for the speed along with a few other things so we can start the rebuild. We thought it would be a good idea to replace the vvt, oil pump, clutch, and flywheel also while everything is apart so we don't have to worry about anything for a LONG time. Thinking about a new turbo as well but were unsure at the moment. Crank is back in and that is where we currently are. Gonna keep this post updated as I get more stuff done along with the pictures I've taken.
kinder likes this.
Stafford0620 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stafford0620 For This Useful Post:
802MS3 (04-16-2019)
 Old 03-25-2019, 02:56 PM   #2

thatguyinms has disabled reputation
Not Ranked  0 score     

That sucks man but sounds like you dodged a bigger bullet by not venting the block.

good luck with the build.

Power:
HTP 3.5" intake - ETC TMIC - UR catless DP - UR testpipe - Corksport axleback
Supporting:
Corksport HPFP - fresh blasted valves- 3Bar MAP+pigtail - Damond EGR full delete - Damond Trio - TB Coolant bypass - 51r battery w/box - Corksport shift bushings -
Known Fails:
Florida Heat - stock k04 - stock BPV - OEM Midpipe - shitty ebay catchcan
thatguyinms is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 03-26-2019, 08:25 AM   #3
Bob Ross Fanclub

Tomas is the leader of the worldTomas is the leader of the worldTomas is the leader of the worldTomas is the leader of the worldTomas is the leader of the worldTomas is the leader of the worldTomas is the leader of the worldTomas is the leader of the worldTomas is the leader of the worldTomas is the leader of the worldTomas is the leader of the world
Thanked 8,186 Times in 2,337 Posts
Groaned at 35 Times in 20 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

You are missing an "h" in were.

MAKE LOVE TO THE CANVAS
Tomas is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 04-15-2019, 02:00 PM   #4

Stafford0620 will become famous soon enough
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default Quick Update!

Hello all. Just have a few things to tell yall

Motor is almost complete again. We have finished assembling most of the motor with exception of the turbo and egr valve. We are on the fence of replacing the turbo with an OE Aftermarket turbo from Edge Auto Sports due to the age and shaft play on the original KO4. We are trying to stay in budget so big turbo is out of the question. We have had thoughts on a used low miles KO4 but we thing the Edge Autosports OE turbo will do the job for a great price in comparison to a used OEM. We also decided to go with a EGR Valve Delete Kit from Damond. Seemed like a good idea to go ahead and do it while the car was out. We decided against a new clutch and flywheel because we never had any issues with it before and it still appears to be in great shape. After we install the turbo we will be starting to attach the trans back onto the car and hopefully by this saturday 4/20/19 we will be setting it back in the car. Hopefully things will go smoothly! Before we started this rebuild we found a master manual for the 2012 Mazda/Mazdaspeed3 online that was like 10,000 pages and apparently its supposed to be a manual the dealership uses idk!?!?!? It has been very helpful for torque specifications and install tips. I will post pictures soon and keep everyone updated. If anyone has suggestions on the reinstall that would be great as well!
Stafford0620 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 04-15-2019, 07:56 PM   #5

MSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,797 Times in 956 Posts
Groans: 134
Groaned at 46 Times in 30 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I like Edge Autosports and have bought from them.

But the K04 is known to have weak seals when used with the crappy PCV system on our cars and this leads to the eventual “smoking turbo” syndrome we all know well. If you go with higher flowing exhaust, such as a bigger 3” downpipe, race pipe and exhaust, the stress on the stock seals increases.

There is an elegant solution for those who do not want to go big turbo and want identical power and flow as the stock turbo.

It is the BNR stage 1, or simply BNR S1. It is completely compatible with stock ECU or other tunes and modifications our engines using the K04.

It uses a stock K04 snail but has a Garrett GT28 center housing, turbine and compressor wheel. This has far more robust center shaft, bearings and seal and eliminates the seal failure. It is true drop in plug and play.

I believe you will find it a bit more than the aftermarket K04 but comparably priced to Edge’s OEM turbo, actually a but less. It solved my problems after two OEM smoking turbos.

I hate to see you do all that work just to end up with another smoking K04.

Edge sells them for $950 shipped, or you can get the BNR S1 directly from BNR Supercars for the same price. Mine was purchased direct from BNR.

https://edgeautosport.com/bnr-s1-tur...d-6-2006-2007/

Sunlight Silver '08 MS3 GT Mods: (Sold 1/25/2019 after 10 years of ownership)
BNR Stage 1 (to fix smoking K04 turbo), TurboXS 3" Catless DP/RP "Stealthback" into stock CBE, Vibrant 3 inch Ultra Quiet Resonator in RP section, Magnaflow 3 1/2" exhaust tip, Mazdaspeed CAI w/air straightener and K&N conical filter, NGK 6510 Iridium IX one step colder plugs, Hypertech tune, Autotech HPFP internals, Stock BPV (works perfectly), Yokohama Advan Neova AD08R's (stock size on stock rims); Hawk HPS pads; SURE RMM; Grimmspeed EBCS (2 port mode), Bilstein B6's, SPC rear camber arms.

Last edited by MSMS3; 04-16-2019 at 08:52 PM.
MSMS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 04-16-2019, 01:10 PM   #6

Fstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the world
Groans: 21
Groaned at 6 Times in 5 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Agreed. BNR S1. Since you regularly autox, sticking with a small stock-equivalent turbo is your best choice.
Versatuner, 3-bar MAP, ITV22, CP-e TMIC
CS Turbo/DP/RP/HPFP/BPV/R-DiffMount
White Widow F-DiffMount, Whiteline RSB
Rear Russian Bushings, Poly FSB Bushings
Magnaflow CBE, ACT 6-puck/Streetlite
JBR Tru-3.5/3-port EBCS/EGR-D
Damond RMM/PMM/OCC/PCV Plate
Other rides:
2014 F-150 XLT SuperCrew Ecoboost
2002 Tacoma ExtCab 2.4L 5spd 2WD
2004 Olds Alero ECOtec 2.2 - Broken
History:
2008 GSX-R 1000 - Stolen
1988 RX-7 TII - Sold (13.467 @ 105.44)
1985 Camaro - Sold (est. 265bhp 5.7 swap, Edelbrock intake & Hooker headers)
http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/forum/redirect-to/?redirect=http%3A%2F%2Fcse.google.com%2Fcse%3Fcx%3 D007197676933930921148%3Apwlh1e31oxu%23gsc.tab%3D0
Fstrnyou is offline   Reply With Quote