register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3 MZR Gen2 Forums (2010-2013)
> Gen2 MS3 General Discussion

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Suzkuz

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 06-17-2019, 10:06 AM   #1

ABOSWORTH is the leader of the worldABOSWORTH is the leader of the worldABOSWORTH is the leader of the worldABOSWORTH is the leader of the worldABOSWORTH is the leader of the worldABOSWORTH is the leader of the worldABOSWORTH is the leader of the worldABOSWORTH is the leader of the worldABOSWORTH is the leader of the worldABOSWORTH is the leader of the worldABOSWORTH is the leader of the world
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default Annoying, clicking clutch 2012 Speed3

Not sure if anyone else has had this problem, but I've been plagued by an annoying popping/clicking sound when depressing the clutch for the past 3 years. I tried using lithium grease on the contacts and return spring on the clutch pedal a couple years ago to no avail. Today I decided enough was enough. I spent about an hour on my back fucking around under the dash and I found out what was causing it.

There is a plastic rod that goes that clips into the pedal and goes into the floor board which I assume goes into the master cylinder. I found that when I pressed the clutch almost to the floor, the clip on the rod was clicking against the pedal. I shoved a thin screw driver in the hole and it stopped. Anyway this is a total ghetto fix but I put a small screw I had in the hole and now it does not click anymore. Hard to explain but I have a couple pics. The prevents the plastic from popping around in the seating.

Figured I'd post in case anyone else has this annoying clicking clutch. There are no problems with the clutch and it is the original with 102k miles. Close up pic came out shitty but should help you see where the screw is located in the first pic.

Current Mods
JBR Solid Shifter Bushings: Corksport Stage II SRI/TIP: CP-E Stage II Rear Motor Mount: AutoTech Internals: Cobb AccessPort V3: UR Test Pipe: Cobb 3" Catback Exhaust: JBR Boost Tubes: ETS TMIC: Denso ITV22s: JBR EGR Block Off Kit: JBR RSB: TS Kompact BPV: Tuned by Rob
ABOSWORTH is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ABOSWORTH For This Useful Post:
Db09ms3 (06-21-2019), MSMS3 (06-21-2019)
 Old 06-20-2019, 06:38 PM   #2

Suzkuz will become famous soon enough
Not Ranked  0 score     

Big props for posting a solution, most people would just fix something like this and then go about their day. Good stuff!!
ABOSWORTH likes this.
Suzkuz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Suzkuz For This Useful Post:
ABOSWORTH (10-08-2019)
 Old 10-08-2019, 02:53 AM   #3

Matrix33Speed3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by ABOSWORTH View Post
Not sure if anyone else has had this problem, but I've been plagued by an annoying popping/clicking sound when depressing the clutch for the past 3 years. I tried using lithium grease on the contacts and return spring on the clutch pedal a couple years ago to no avail. Today I decided enough was enough. I spent about an hour on my back fucking around under the dash and I found out what was causing it.

There is a plastic rod that goes that clips into the pedal and goes into the floor board which I assume goes into the master cylinder. I found that when I pressed the clutch almost to the floor, the clip on the rod was clicking against the pedal. I shoved a thin screw driver in the hole and it stopped. Anyway this is a total ghetto fix but I put a small screw I had in the hole and now it does not click anymore. Hard to explain but I have a couple pics. The prevents the plastic from popping around in the seating.

Figured I'd post in case anyone else has this annoying clicking clutch. There are no problems with the clutch and it is the original with 102k miles. Close up pic came out shitty but should help you see where the screw is located in the first pic.

First off just wanted to say this forum has been very helpful. Ive found most of the answers to my questions on here so i havent really posted much but today i noticed my clutch was slightly creaking so i decided to put some white lithium grease on that plastic rod that goes into the firewall and it stopped the slight creak but now im getting this dam clicking sound you mentioned. It happens when i push the clutch in almost all the way down. It now clicks every time i engage the clutch to shift. I have a 2011 genpu and i dont even see a hole to put the screw in. It wasnt making any clicking noises before the lube job. Idk what else to do its so annoying to drive. Would replacing the clutch master cylinder fix it? It was fine before the lube job and there is no problem shifting or anything just 1 annoying click every time i hit the clutch even when the car is off... any help would be appreciated.
Matrix33Speed3 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 10-08-2019, 03:24 AM   #4

ABOSWORTH is the leader of the worldABOSWORTH is the leader of the worldABOSWORTH is the leader of the worldABOSWORTH is the leader of the worldABOSWORTH is the leader of the worldABOSWORTH is the leader of the worldABOSWORTH is the leader of the worldABOSWORTH is the leader of the worldABOSWORTH is the leader of the worldABOSWORTH is the leader of the worldABOSWORTH is the leader of the world
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

If it's the same issue as I was having (and it sounds like it is) replacing the master cylinder won't fix the clicking. You'd have to replace the pedal. It's not an obvious place to put a screw. You have to get right under and look almost where the top of the pedal touches the floor. Push it in slowly and look where my pic is and you should be able to hear and see the click where I stuck the screw.

Current Mods
JBR Solid Shifter Bushings: Corksport Stage II SRI/TIP: CP-E Stage II Rear Motor Mount: AutoTech Internals: Cobb AccessPort V3: UR Test Pipe: Cobb 3" Catback Exhaust: JBR Boost Tubes: ETS TMIC: Denso ITV22s: JBR EGR Block Off Kit: JBR RSB: TS Kompact BPV: Tuned by Rob
 Old 10-08-2019, 01:03 PM   #5

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by ABOSWORTH View Post
If it's the same issue as I was having (and it sounds like it is) replacing the master cylinder won't fix the clicking. You'd have to replace the pedal. It's not an obvious place to put a screw. You have to get right under and look almost where the top of the pedal touches the floor. Push it in slowly and look where my pic is and you should be able to hear and see the click where I stuck the screw.
Thanks for the reply. It doesnt seem like many ppl here have this problem.. just spent 30 mins down there lookin for a spot to put that screw but there isnt any on the 2011 model. I thought the clutch assembly would be identical. I pushed the clutch in and looked around for a spot to stick a screw in but its all solid no holes or gaps. Is it possible to put more grease on that plastic rod? Im afraid to try because thats how the clicking started... do you think grease down in there could mess things? Also i feel like the sound is more towards the end of that plastic rod and maybe not where it slides behind the pedal. This is driving me nuts i might have to take it to a mechanic. Crazy how almost everything on this car is a simple diy except for this stupid clutch clicking sound :/
 Old 10-08-2019, 02:54 PM   #6

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

If you can find it somewhere else, by all means, go for it. In my case, this is where it was coming from. There is no screw hole. There was a very small gap and I just stuck a screw in to keep the plastic from shifting. It took me forever to pinpoint where the noise was coming from. First I stuck a thin screwdriver in and depressed the clutch and the noise was gone so I put the screw in. Haven't heard a peep from it since. Are you having trouble figuring out where I put the screw because of the pictures? I know they aren't the greatest but it's hard to take good pics in that tight space.

Current Mods
 Old 10-08-2019, 04:47 PM   #7

Not Ranked  0 score     

I believe the gap you are referring to is right under the white tabs that locks the plastic rod into the clutch pedal/arm correct? I tried to put a screw there it still clicks. Actually took it to 2 local mechanics earlier and they both say its fine as long as it isnt having any problems going in and out of gears. I dont get why adding lube down there would make it click. The mechanic said theres no way lubing it would cause that click so idk.. do you know anyone on here that would have another solution? I might have to just live with the click at this point. Ugh a wise man once told me dont fix what aint broke.. shoulda listened. this is beyond frustrating especially in Cali traffic. Last resort is to take it to the dealer n hope to not get ass raped by their BS.
 Old 10-08-2019, 06:46 PM   #8

Not Ranked  0 score     

Was reading around through forums and came across a youtube vid that showed someone replacing the master cylinder and rod. Seems like an easy enough job just sucks theres barely any room down there. I might give it a try if this click continues and drives me nuts. Im pretty sure the click's from within the cylinder. I think its worth a try, and maybe upgrade to one with a metal rod instead of that cheap plastic one. What do you think?
 Old 10-15-2019, 06:02 AM   #9

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Matrix33Speed3 View Post
I believe the gap you are referring to is right under the white tabs that locks the plastic rod into the clutch pedal/arm correct? I tried to put a screw there it still clicks. Actually took it to 2 local mechanics earlier and they both say its fine as long as it isnt having any problems going in and out of gears. I dont get why adding lube down there would make it click. The mechanic said theres no way lubing it would cause that click so idk.. do you know anyone on here that would have another solution? I might have to just live with the click at this point. Ugh a wise man once told me dont fix what aint broke.. shoulda listened. this is beyond frustrating especially in Cali traffic. Last resort is to take it to the dealer n hope to not get ass raped by their BS.
Yeah I think that is the right spot. Mine was operating properly but drove my absolutely insane for like 2 years before I finally fixed it. I wish I could check your car out to see if it is the same sound that I have.

Current Mods