register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3 MZR Gen2 Forums (2010-2013)
> Gen2 MS3 General Discussion

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!
Like Tree2Likes

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 01-20-2012, 07:25 PM   #1

dcamp2 has a reputation beyond reputedcamp2 has a reputation beyond reputedcamp2 has a reputation beyond reputedcamp2 has a reputation beyond reputedcamp2 has a reputation beyond reputedcamp2 has a reputation beyond reputedcamp2 has a reputation beyond reputedcamp2 has a reputation beyond reputedcamp2 has a reputation beyond reputedcamp2 has a reputation beyond reputedcamp2 has a reputation beyond repute
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default Another Blown Turbo...

Another Genpu with a blown turbo... Of course it happened while my buddy was borrowing the car to decide if he wanted to buy one. Ha.

The good news is Mazda is sending a new one, and the dealer didn't give me any trouble, so I should be set next week.

Just for reference: I had 19,600 miles, put mods on at 10,000 (SRI, AP, Internals, RMM) and generally drive like an asshole.

VID00007.AVI - YouTube
dcamp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dcamp2 For This Useful Post:
KILLER_VIZ (02-25-2012), mazdafreak (01-20-2012), TexasSpeed3 (01-21-2012)
 Old 01-20-2012, 07:42 PM   #2

manila is the leader of the worldmanila is the leader of the worldmanila is the leader of the worldmanila is the leader of the worldmanila is the leader of the worldmanila is the leader of the worldmanila is the leader of the worldmanila is the leader of the worldmanila is the leader of the worldmanila is the leader of the worldmanila is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,190 Times in 611 Posts
Groans: 13
Groaned at 30 Times in 17 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Damn that sucks. Hope the install goes well for the new k04. I wonder if they will give you shit for the mods. Let me know if they make you take your mods off the car haha

COBB AP V3 >> AUTOTECH HPFP >> HTP 3.5" >> ATP DP (catless) >> AXLEBACK (no mufflers) >> COBB PIPING/TR6 CORE >>

JBR RMM >> SSP/BUSHINGS >> RSB >> STG. 2 OCC >>

HYPNOTIC TUNED: tehmadscientist & senor finkle

manila is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 01-20-2012, 07:49 PM   #3
RIP: November 21, 2012

fortressofcomfort is the leader of the worldfortressofcomfort is the leader of the worldfortressofcomfort is the leader of the worldfortressofcomfort is the leader of the worldfortressofcomfort is the leader of the worldfortressofcomfort is the leader of the worldfortressofcomfort is the leader of the worldfortressofcomfort is the leader of the worldfortressofcomfort is the leader of the worldfortressofcomfort is the leader of the worldfortressofcomfort is the leader of the world
Groans: 6
Groaned at 20 Times in 12 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

What am I looking at, a failed center assembly/bearing? Does this cause the shaft to wobble inside the turbo (putting the entire motor at risk?) what can cause this at such low mileage? Almost seems like defective and I wonder if it is isolated to certain years?
Mods (in order of significance): Cobb AccessPort, Autotech CDFP upgrade (thanks Captain KR for your assisstance), Cobb SF SRI Intake, Ultimate Racing cat and resonator-less test pipe, Cobb Turbo Inlet Hose, Cobb Knob, Cobb 300g shifter weight

Tune: My own (based on the v210 and v231 Cobb OTS maps but ramped way up)

Street creds:
- Fastest known K04/93 MS3/driver with only an AP, CDFP upgrade, intake, and tune | 13.37@106.83mph on stock Dunlops (2.04 sec 60' time, full curb weight, 75*F ambient temp)
- Has gone an indicated 146mph on three occasions now.

Yes I will help you tune your K04/pump gas car; I have much less experience than the major players but I also charge you $0 and can turn you around quickly. 4 satisfied customers and counting...
fortressofcomfort is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 01-20-2012, 08:05 PM   #4

DISIindahead is the leader of the worldDISIindahead is the leader of the worldDISIindahead is the leader of the worldDISIindahead is the leader of the worldDISIindahead is the leader of the worldDISIindahead is the leader of the worldDISIindahead is the leader of the worldDISIindahead is the leader of the worldDISIindahead is the leader of the worldDISIindahead is the leader of the worldDISIindahead is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,304 Times in 427 Posts
Groans: 14
Groaned at 8 Times in 6 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Welcome to the club! lol

replaced with refurbished Ko4 OEM Mazda 3 Turbocharger 2007-2010 K0422-881 | eBay

2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport: Current DD
DISIindahead is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DISIindahead For This Useful Post:
ChimmyChong (01-31-2012), J'sSpeed3 (01-21-2012), rghispanic88 (01-20-2012), TexasSpeed3 (01-21-2012)
 Old 01-20-2012, 08:10 PM   #5

rghispanic88 is the leader of the worldrghispanic88 is the leader of the worldrghispanic88 is the leader of the worldrghispanic88 is the leader of the worldrghispanic88 is the leader of the worldrghispanic88 is the leader of the worldrghispanic88 is the leader of the worldrghispanic88 is the leader of the worldrghispanic88 is the leader of the worldrghispanic88 is the leader of the worldrghispanic88 is the leader of the world
Thanked 4,162 Times in 1,330 Posts
Groans: 263
Groaned at 73 Times in 43 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by fortressofcomfort View Post
What am I looking at, a failed center assembly/bearing? Does this cause the shaft to wobble inside the turbo (putting the entire motor at risk?) what can cause this at such low mileage? Almost seems like defective and I wonder if it is isolated to certain years?
you're looking at the white smoke, mean you're turbo has left this world

2004 EVO 8 Green Monster The "7up"
rghispanic88 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rghispanic88 For This Useful Post:
Voltron (06-28-2012)
 Old 01-20-2012, 09:11 PM   #6

dcamp2 has a reputation beyond reputedcamp2 has a reputation beyond reputedcamp2 has a reputation beyond reputedcamp2 has a reputation beyond reputedcamp2 has a reputation beyond reputedcamp2 has a reputation beyond reputedcamp2 has a reputation beyond reputedcamp2 has a reputation beyond reputedcamp2 has a reputation beyond reputedcamp2 has a reputation beyond reputedcamp2 has a reputation beyond repute
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by fortressofcomfort View Post
I'm not sure... the service guy at the dealer just said the turbo was bad. I think just from the sounds and amount of smoke that a seal and bearing were gone, and possibly the blades hitting the case. It had a bad tinny sounding rattle/vibration.

Also I stocked out before taking it in.
 Old 01-20-2012, 09:14 PM   #7

YZF-R6 is the leader of the worldYZF-R6 is the leader of the worldYZF-R6 is the leader of the worldYZF-R6 is the leader of the worldYZF-R6 is the leader of the worldYZF-R6 is the leader of the worldYZF-R6 is the leader of the worldYZF-R6 is the leader of the worldYZF-R6 is the leader of the worldYZF-R6 is the leader of the worldYZF-R6 is the leader of the world
Groans: 5
Groaned at 5 Times in 4 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by DISIindahead View Post

Welcome to the club! lol

replaced with refurbished Ko4 OEM Mazda 3 Turbocharger 2007-2010 K0422-881 | eBay
Holy fuck!!
2010 MS3 Liquid Silver: TRZ Poly RMM, Cobb AP, PERM (Load-Based FTW), CP-E HPFP, SURE Aeros, HTP TIP, Corksport TMIC, SURE Boost Tubes, Magnaflow CBE, Corksport T/P, JBR LE Shift Knob & Weight, Redline MTL, Swift Spec-R, TSW Nurburgring 18x8.5, Nitto NT555 235/40/18.

If You Don't Like The Pu, Don't Play In The Pu.
YZF-R6 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 01-20-2012, 11:00 PM   #8

IshiKage is the leader of the worldIshiKage is the leader of the worldIshiKage is the leader of the worldIshiKage is the leader of the worldIshiKage is the leader of the worldIshiKage is the leader of the worldIshiKage is the leader of the worldIshiKage is the leader of the worldIshiKage is the leader of the worldIshiKage is the leader of the worldIshiKage is the leader of the world
Thanked 4,010 Times in 1,854 Posts
Groans: 278
Groaned at 533 Times in 425 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Damn. PUs have turbo diarrhea
The Following User Says Thank You to IshiKage For This Useful Post:
speeed (01-21-2012)
 Old 01-21-2012, 10:51 AM   #9

chintastic is the leader of the worldchintastic is the leader of the worldchintastic is the leader of the worldchintastic is the leader of the worldchintastic is the leader of the worldchintastic is the leader of the worldchintastic is the leader of the worldchintastic is the leader of the worldchintastic is the leader of the worldchintastic is the leader of the worldchintastic is the leader of the world
Groaned at 3 Times in 2 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

this scares me smh...i got 13000 and have a catless downpipe sri tip cobb ap stage 2 and a turbosmart dual port ...and i def dont wanna stock out if my turbo goes soon
 Old 01-21-2012, 11:25 AM   #10

JS + MS3 is the leader of the worldJS + MS3 is the leader of the worldJS + MS3 is the leader of the worldJS + MS3 is the leader of the worldJS + MS3 is the leader of the worldJS + MS3 is the leader of the worldJS + MS3 is the leader of the worldJS + MS3 is the leader of the worldJS + MS3 is the leader of the worldJS + MS3 is the leader of the worldJS + MS3 is the leader of the world
Groans: 98
Groaned at 72 Times in 51 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

just don't drive like a dumbass
 Old 01-21-2012, 11:40 AM   #11

makjur is the leader of the worldmakjur is the leader of the worldmakjur is the leader of the worldmakjur is the leader of the worldmakjur is the leader of the worldmakjur is the leader of the worldmakjur is the leader of the worldmakjur is the leader of the worldmakjur is the leader of the worldmakjur is the leader of the worldmakjur is the leader of the world
Groans: 4
Groaned at 15 Times in 8 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by chintastic View Post
this scares me smh...
We can be scared together
Im stock and even more paranoid to do any mods now..

As for not driving like an ass, is aggressive driving really the reason, or shit manufacturing.
makjur is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 01-21-2012, 11:53 AM   #12

IshiKage is the leader of the worldIshiKage is the leader of the worldIshiKage is the leader of the worldIshiKage is the leader of the worldIshiKage is the leader of the worldIshiKage is the leader of the worldIshiKage is the leader of the worldIshiKage is the leader of the worldIshiKage is the leader of the worldIshiKage is the leader of the worldIshiKage is the leader of the world
Thanked 4,010 Times in 1,854 Posts
Groans: 278
Groaned at 533 Times in 425 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

why are these turbos shitting the bed, i mean besides the fact its on a PU
 Old 01-21-2012, 12:01 PM   #13

mswierse is the leader of the worldmswierse is the leader of the worldmswierse is the leader of the worldmswierse is the leader of the worldmswierse is the leader of the worldmswierse is the leader of the worldmswierse is the leader of the worldmswierse is the leader of the worldmswierse is the leader of the worldmswierse is the leader of the worldmswierse is the leader of the world
Groans: 1
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by dcamp2 View Post
Just for reference: I had 19,600 miles, put mods on at 10,000 (SRI, AP, Internals, RMM) and generally drive like an asshole.

VID00007.AVI - YouTube

LOFL, love your honesty. So, do you mind if I ask about your maint intervals and you general practice of letting the engine get up to temp prior to boosting? Also if you really drive the shit out of it, do you just shut it off as soon as you stop or let it idle for a bit?

Just curious. I am kind of paranoid too, wondering if I should have bought a VW... Hope I made a good choice. I don't get on mine every time I drive it and I always let the engine get up to temp before getting into positive boost.

Originally Posted by DISIindahead View Post

Welcome to the club! lol

Was your car not under warranty anymore? How long since you've had the reman Turbo? Working good I assume?

13.5@106

Last edited by mswierse; 01-21-2012 at 12:01 PM. Reason: MSF Database - Automerged Doublepost
mswierse is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 01-21-2012, 12:29 PM   #14

makjur is the leader of the worldmakjur is the leader of the worldmakjur is the leader of the worldmakjur is the leader of the worldmakjur is the leader of the worldmakjur is the leader of the worldmakjur is the leader of the worldmakjur is the leader of the worldmakjur is the leader of the worldmakjur is the leader of the worldmakjur is the leader of the world
Groans: 4
Groaned at 15 Times in 8 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by mswierse View Post
wondering if I should have bought a VW...
I had an 05 GTI 1.8t and gf had an 04 jetta 2.slow
both cars are gone now and I couldnt be happier
makjur is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 01-21-2012, 12:45 PM   #15

DISIindahead is the leader of the worldDISIindahead is the leader of the worldDISIindahead is the leader of the worldDISIindahead is the leader of the worldDISIindahead is the leader of the worldDISIindahead is the leader of the worldDISIindahead is the leader of the worldDISIindahead is the leader of the worldDISIindahead is the leader of the worldDISIindahead is the leader of the worldDISIindahead is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by JS + MS3 View Post
That and don't run a Catless downpipe without a tune (i.e. AP, HT,)

Originally Posted by IshiKage View Post
why are these turbos shitting the bed, i mean besides the fact its on a PU
People just not doing the research. I learned the hard way but now that I know its good to pass it on so the next guy doesn't do it. I paid out of pocket for everything. Yes it was my fault but now I have a K04 that was built better and actually holds 2 psi more boost then my stock one. Not bad for $500 IMO.

LOFL, love your honesty. So, do you mind if I ask about your maint intervals and you general practice of letting the engine get up to temp prior to boosting? Also if you really drive the shit out of it, do you just shut it off as soon as you stop or let it idle for a bit?

Just curious. I am kind of paranoid too, wondering if I should have bought a VW... Hope I made a good choice. I don't get on mine every time I drive it and I always let the engine get up to temp before getting into positive boost.

Was your car not under warranty anymore? How long since you've had the reman Turbo? Working good I assume?
Nope. A red flag came up at dealership for flashed ECU. Got a call saying "we can't cover it, come get your car"

Reman turbo has been on for 7000 miles and still going strong. It works great and I gotta thank XSTurbochargers for the great help and advice they gave me. Also the blown k04 is getting cleaned when i get off my lazy ass and sent in and ,in turn, i get $100. Can't complain.

Old 01-21-2012, 01:09 PM   #16

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

I've done oil changes every 5000 miles (manual says 7500) and honestly that's it.

As for driving, I try and let it warm up before romping on it, and if I do drive really hard, I try to let it cool off by driving out of boost and taking it easy before I shut it down.

I hope this was a fluke thing, because when you build a car with the word 'speed' in the name, you know it's going to get worked.

Originally Posted by chintastic View Post
this scares me smh...i got 13000 and have a catless downpipe sri tip cobb ap stage 2 and a turbosmart dual port ...and i def dont wanna stock out if my turbo goes soon

Yeah, I was thinking of doing a DP and similar mods... Not so sure now.

Last edited by dcamp2; 01-21-2012 at 01:09 PM. Reason: MSF Database - Automerged Doublepost
 Old 01-21-2012, 01:40 PM   #17

beachshoer is the leader of the worldbeachshoer is the leader of the worldbeachshoer is the leader of the worldbeachshoer is the leader of the worldbeachshoer is the leader of the worldbeachshoer is the leader of the worldbeachshoer is the leader of the worldbeachshoer is the leader of the worldbeachshoer is the leader of the worldbeachshoer is the leader of the worldbeachshoer is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,627 Times in 850 Posts
Groans: 3
Groaned at 5 Times in 5 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

^ This

I have just rolled over 80000 miles on my PU. And I haven't even put my internals in yet. (Im getting to it. Keep your panties ) I even autox it every month, sometimes twice a month. No issues what so ever. Like any other car do your research, maintain the hell out if it, and don't be a dumbass.

Yes. I said 80000 miles on a PU. suck it wons.
ricknm likes this.
H&R Springs CS RSB CXRacing FMIC AT Internals DIY PnP IM w/ VTCS delete. CS OCC Stratified 3port EBCS HTP Batt Tray Bosch 3bar MAP SS brake lines
Works emotions cr-kai 18x7.5 ventus v12s for the street
TRM C3s 17x9 Hankook RS3s for track days

STRATIFIED TUNED

Other Mazdas in my stable
2010 VR MS3 Wifes Ride
ETS TMIC JBR RSB JBR SSP JBR knob AT internals
1999 Miata
gtx2867 1.9L VVT built like a brick shithouse
2001 Miata LS
RB FSB Hawk HP+ pads Dunlop ZII
beachshoer is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 01-21-2012, 01:52 PM   #18

taf0422 is the leader of the worldtaf0422 is the leader of the worldtaf0422 is the leader of the worldtaf0422 is the leader of the worldtaf0422 is the leader of the worldtaf0422 is the leader of the worldtaf0422 is the leader of the worldtaf0422 is the leader of the worldtaf0422 is the leader of the worldtaf0422 is the leader of the worldtaf0422 is the leader of the world
Thanked 4,709 Times in 2,017 Posts
Groans: 192
Groaned at 24 Times in 20 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by beachshoer View Post
^ This

I have just rolled over 80000 miles on my PU. And I haven't even put my internals in yet. (Im getting to it. Keep your panties ) I even autox it every month, sometimes twice a month. No issues what so ever. Like any other car do your research, maintain the hell out if it, and don't be a dumbass.

Yes. I said 80000 miles on a PU. suck it wons.
Damn! Talk about a driver right there! My 07 just rolled 70k.

[SIZE="1"]07 MS3 GT..
Engine:Cobb V3,GTX3076r EWG,Wiseco Pistons/Manley Rods, L19's,JMF, Bosch 3.5bar MAP,CS cat-back,M2 DP, full race manifold,FP internals,FREEK 4",CP-E flange HKS,DO Stage II ss lines,Cobb piping,TR8L,MD RMM&TMM,JBR RSB & FSB,JBR SST,JBR knob,ACT 6puck,JBR EGR delete,CPE Seals,Grimmspeed EBC,JBR BSD,MD Catch Can.Looks:yellow lamin-x fogs,chrome turn signals,side moldings removed,20% tint,CS wheelSuspension/Wheels:Enkei RPF1 17x9,Eibach 5mm spaces H&R springs,koni yellows.

GTX3076r --- 479/412
S4-460/400
Highest HP BNR S3
BNR-S3 424/397
taf0422 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to taf0422 For This Useful Post:
EdgeAutosport.com (06-28-2012)
 Old 01-21-2012, 02:03 PM   #19

JS + MS3 is the leader of the worldJS + MS3 is the leader of the worldJS + MS3 is the leader of the worldJS + MS3 is the leader of the worldJS + MS3 is the leader of the worldJS + MS3 is the leader of the worldJS + MS3 is the leader of the worldJS + MS3 is the leader of the worldJS + MS3 is the leader of the worldJS + MS3 is the leader of the worldJS + MS3 is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

80k miles on a Pu? wow..
 Old 01-21-2012, 02:25 PM   #20

Jhornbrook is the leader of the worldJhornbrook is the leader of the worldJhornbrook is the leader of the worldJhornbrook is the leader of the worldJhornbrook is the leader of the worldJhornbrook is the leader of the worldJhornbrook is the leader of the worldJhornbrook is the leader of the worldJhornbrook is the leader of the worldJhornbrook is the leader of the worldJhornbrook is the leader of the world
Groans: 1
Groaned at 6 Times in 4 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

[QUOTE=DISIindahead;1220787]That and don't run a Catless downpipe without a tune (i.e. AP, HT,)

Nope. A red flag came up at dealership for flashed ECU. Got a call saying "we can't cover it, come get your car"

When you took your car in did you set it back to the stock map or leave the tune loaded on the ecu? I'm just curious to see if a stock reflash is even useful when going back to the dealer.
Jhornbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 01-21-2012, 02:36 PM   #21

Not Ranked  0 score     

Why the fuck would someone not uninstall the tune when taking the car to the dealership? It literally takes a minute to do that, no?
 Old 01-21-2012, 02:41 PM   #22

HARPER306 is the leader of the worldHARPER306 is the leader of the worldHARPER306 is the leader of the worldHARPER306 is the leader of the worldHARPER306 is the leader of the worldHARPER306 is the leader of the worldHARPER306 is the leader of the worldHARPER306 is the leader of the worldHARPER306 is the leader of the worldHARPER306 is the leader of the worldHARPER306 is the leader of the world
Groaned at 11 Times in 11 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

probably for the same reason why ive seen so many pu posts with dp and no fp

because dumbasses

'12 Evo X
HARPER306 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 01-21-2012, 02:56 PM   #23

Not Ranked  0 score     

Why the fuck would someone not uninstall the tune when taking the car to the dealership? It literally takes a minute to do that, no?
doesn't matter. The dealership can tell of any alterations that were made. Even if you uninstall the dealership can, and most will, send out the information on what was on the ECU history. They showed me everything the ECU has done and I even saw the first time the ECU was flashed when I first got the AP and was running Stage 1. The techs are not stupid.

Originally Posted by HARPER306 View Post

because dumbasses
Thats why its a learning experience for people who have never worked with this platform before. I admit that i didnt do my research and this was the result of it.

Old 01-21-2012, 04:53 PM   #24

Scoobs is the leader of the worldScoobs is the leader of the worldScoobs is the leader of the worldScoobs is the leader of the worldScoobs is the leader of the worldScoobs is the leader of the worldScoobs is the leader of the worldScoobs is the leader of the worldScoobs is the leader of the worldScoobs is the leader of the worldScoobs is the leader of the world
Groans: 3
Groaned at 11 Times in 9 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

When my K04 dies it will time to upgrade to GTX3071R. But before that I'm going the safe route: AP, FP internals, SRI/TIP, OCC, Race pipe, FMIC, Down Pipe + CBE. Why rush and kill the turbo early? I'm going with CS for the SRI/TIP, why pay more when I will have to upgrade when I go big.

New

2012 Mazda2 GS Aluminum Metallic Mica, Corksport rear torsion bar, Corksport H11 Led fog bulbs, Piaa H4 x-treme white bulbs, AWR rmm 70duro....more to come

Wife's car
2011 Mazda2 True Red GS (Touring in the US), wifes car, no mods so far but she want a Corksport CBE, Corksport SRI and a drop in the futur. <-----

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Scoobs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scoobs For This Useful Post:
DISIindahead (01-21-2012)
 Old 01-21-2012, 05:13 PM   #25

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by HARPER306 View Post

because dumbasses
Do you think I'm a dumbass? Just running intake, ap and fp internals?

I don't think that should kill the turbo in 20,000 miles; regardless of how I drive.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dcamp2 For This Useful Post:
Alpha (01-24-2012), KILLER_VIZ (02-25-2012)
 Old 01-21-2012, 06:16 PM   #26

HARPER306 is the leader of the worldHARPER306 is the leader of the worldHARPER306 is the leader of the worldHARPER306 is the leader of the worldHARPER306 is the leader of the worldHARPER306 is the leader of the worldHARPER306 is the leader of the worldHARPER306 is the leader of the worldHARPER306 is the leader of the worldHARPER306 is the leader of the worldHARPER306 is the leader of the world
Groaned at 11 Times in 11 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

^

no, you already show promise a seemingly select few pu owners do, as those are the 3 key ones IMO.

turbo should last way longer than 20,000 unless youre fully bolted and like e85. the turbo isnt bulletproof, but its robust enough to make decent power with quick spool with somewhat of a longevity, and once you reach its limits and pop it you can just put in a 3071 or whatever you fancy and you'll almost be good for that, as youd be fully bolted already. @phate is making BT owners think twice about the k04

'12 Evo X
HARPER306 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HARPER306 For This Useful Post:
Bucker (02-04-2012), phate (01-22-2012)
 Old 01-21-2012, 10:30 PM   #27

gbassrace will become famous soon enoughgbassrace will become famous soon enough
Not Ranked  0 score     

Same thing for mine last summer @ 26kmi. The white smoke and everything. Only had an AP Stage 1 using Mobil 1 5W30. Have been told twice that the oil was the reason. Now running Redline 5W40. I reflashed to stock ECU and got the warranty replacement K04 installed by the dealer. They didn't say anything about the ECU. What a hassle though. Won't go into it. I have asked everyone I could about this fail and basically it was overspun, exceeding the efficiency and over heated it with bearing failure. I saw the turbo after and it had lots of shaft play but no blades missing. All I did was 3 - 3rd gear 3-6k rpm WOT pulls back to back timing myself and BAM........Now have stock ECU. The K04 is right at it's limit of CFM and power. Other guys have been lucky I think. Good Luck to you guys. I'm gonna go 2871 when ready. I might get another AP but will have it tuned to reduce boost big time above 5500rpm. No Fun!!! Def don't need the hassle again. Again, Good F'n Luck.....
RACER_X likes this.
gbassrace is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 01-22-2012, 06:19 AM   #28

taf0422 is the leader of the worldtaf0422 is the leader of the worldtaf0422 is the leader of the worldtaf0422 is the leader of the worldtaf0422 is the leader of the worldtaf0422 is the leader of the worldtaf0422 is the leader of the worldtaf0422 is the leader of the worldtaf0422 is the leader of the worldtaf0422 is the leader of the worldtaf0422 is the leader of the world
Thanked 4,709 Times in 2,017 Posts
Groans: 192
Groaned at 24 Times in 20 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by gbassrace View Post
Same thing for mine last summer @ 26kmi. The white smoke and everything. Only had an AP Stage 1 using Mobil 1 5W30. Have been told twice that the oil was the reason. Now running Redline 5W40. I reflashed to stock ECU and got the warranty replacement K04 installed by the dealer. They didn't say anything about the ECU. What a hassle though. Won't go into it. I have asked everyone I could about this fail and basically it was overspun, exceeding the efficiency and over heated it with bearing failure. I saw the turbo after and it had lots of shaft play but no blades missing. All I did was 3 - 3rd gear 3-6k rpm WOT pulls back to back timing myself and BAM........Now have stock ECU. The K04 is right at it's limit of CFM and power. Other guys have been lucky I think. Good Luck to you guys. I'm gonna go 2871 when ready. I might get another AP but will have it tuned to reduce boost big time above 5500rpm. No Fun!!! Def don't need the hassle again. Again, Good F'n Luck.....
Why a 2871!? Just get a 3071. Doesnt hsve to be a gtx. Just get the gt series. It will be a better car for it.

[SIZE="1"]07 MS3 GT..
Engine:Cobb V3,GTX3076r EWG,Wiseco Pistons/Manley Rods, L19's,JMF, Bosch 3.5bar MAP,CS cat-back,M2 DP, full race manifold,FP internals,FREEK 4",CP-E flange HKS,DO Stage II ss lines,Cobb piping,TR8L,MD RMM&TMM,JBR RSB & FSB,JBR SST,JBR knob,ACT 6puck,JBR EGR delete,CPE Seals,Grimmspeed EBC,JBR BSD,MD Catch Can.Looks:yellow lamin-x fogs,chrome turn signals,side moldings removed,20% tint,CS wheelSuspension/Wheels:Enkei RPF1 17x9,Eibach 5mm spaces H&R springs,koni yellows.

GTX3076r --- 479/412
S4-460/400
Highest HP BNR S3
BNR-S3 424/397
taf0422 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to taf0422 For This Useful Post:
DISIindahead (01-22-2012)
 Old 01-22-2012, 06:59 AM   #29

Ckmazdaspeed3 is the leader of the worldCkmazdaspeed3 is the leader of the worldCkmazdaspeed3 is the leader of the worldCkmazdaspeed3 is the leader of the worldCkmazdaspeed3 is the leader of the worldCkmazdaspeed3 is the leader of the worldCkmazdaspeed3 is the leader of the worldCkmazdaspeed3 is the leader of the worldCkmazdaspeed3 is the leader of the worldCkmazdaspeed3 is the leader of the worldCkmazdaspeed3 is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,356 Times in 1,065 Posts
Groans: 134
Groaned at 22 Times in 19 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by taf0422 View Post
Why a 2871!? Just get a 3071. Doesnt hsve to be a gtx. Just get the gt series. It will be a better car for it.
Dano is making around 400whp on his 2871 and you can get it for cheaper than a 3071... Shit, I hear some dumb ass is selling his 2871 for under $1000 in the for sale section!!!

And for the people freaking out about their turbos, niggah please. You are a select few, not that many people are having issues, even if they are making more power and even if they are catless. AND, you can replace it for like $200ish w a used one which is not hard to come by... Or spend a bit more on a used 2871 and never have to worry about it again.
Ckmazdaspeed3 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 01-22-2012, 07:03 AM   #30

RaPiER is a glorious beacon of lightRaPiER is a glorious beacon of lightRaPiER is a glorious beacon of lightRaPiER is a glorious beacon of lightRaPiER is a glorious beacon of light
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by dcamp2 View Post
Do you think I'm a dumbass? Just running intake, ap and fp internals?

I don't think that should kill the turbo in 20,000 miles; regardless of how I drive.
What boost were you running with your tune leading up to the failure?
RaPiER is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 01-22-2012, 05:43 PM   #31

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by RaPiER View Post
What boost were you running with your tune leading up to the failure?
I was running the OTS stage 1 map that came with AP. I can't remember what the exact boost was, but you could find it on cobb's website.
 Old 01-22-2012, 05:44 PM   #32

gbassrace will become famous soon enoughgbassrace will become famous soon enough
Not Ranked  0 score     

The boost would have been Cobb's Stage 1 limit of around 18psi. Bt I wasn't hip to logging then and don't know real #'s. Of course they have written in same taper by 6000 rpm. That's when it let go.

Another answer: a 2871 will be plenty for 300whp and will give much better street low rpm torque. Just need a great K04 replacement that WON'T BLOW UP!!!
 Old 01-22-2012, 09:32 PM   #33
RIP: November 21, 2012

fortressofcomfort is the leader of the worldfortressofcomfort is the leader of the worldfortressofcomfort is the leader of the worldfortressofcomfort is the leader of the worldfortressofcomfort is the leader of the worldfortressofcomfort is the leader of the worldfortressofcomfort is the leader of the worldfortressofcomfort is the leader of the worldfortressofcomfort is the leader of the worldfortressofcomfort is the leader of the worldfortressofcomfort is the leader of the world
Groans: 6
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by gbassrace
The boost would have been Cobb's Stage 1 limit of around 18psi. Bt I wasn't hip to logging then and don't know real #'s. Of course they have written in same taper by 6000 rpm. That's when it let go.

Another answer: a 2871 will be plenty for 300whp and will give much better street low rpm torque. Just need a great K04 replacement that WON'T BLOW UP!!!
According to Cobb's map notes, stage 1 with SRI, etc is set to 16psi +- 1.5psi... I get an occasional spike up to 18psi but it comes down right away. I think some spiking is inevitable with the way the ECU utilizes load targeting. For reference, stage 2 with the same hardware is 19psi tapering down to 18psi by the 6700rpm redline.

http://www.accessecu.com/cgi-bin/dow...BASE_07_12.pdf

It seems we talk about these maps sometimes as if they are static and never change. You'll read a story about someone blowing up on stage 1 but then we never question what map or firmware version they were running. Simply put, an early version of a given map may be dangerous compared to what is available now. I mean, as soon as you turn on the AccessPort it says something like Don't forget to connect to computer often to check for updates lol.
Mods (in order of significance): Cobb AccessPort, Autotech CDFP upgrade (thanks Captain KR for your assisstance), Cobb SF SRI Intake, Ultimate Racing cat and resonator-less test pipe, Cobb Turbo Inlet Hose, Cobb Knob, Cobb 300g shifter weight

Tune: My own (based on the v210 and v231 Cobb OTS maps but ramped way up)

Street creds:
- Fastest known K04/93 MS3/driver with only an AP, CDFP upgrade, intake, and tune | 13.37@106.83mph on stock Dunlops (2.04 sec 60' time, full curb weight, 75*F ambient temp)
- Has gone an indicated 146mph on three occasions now.

Yes I will help you tune your K04/pump gas car; I have much less experience than the major players but I also charge you $0 and can turn you around quickly. 4 satisfied customers and counting...
fortressofcomfort is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 01-22-2012, 09:38 PM   #34

2011speed is the leader of the world2011speed is the leader of the world2011speed is the leader of the world2011speed is the leader of the world2011speed is the leader of the world2011speed is the leader of the world2011speed is the leader of the world2011speed is the leader of the world2011speed is the leader of the world2011speed is the leader of the world2011speed is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,261 Times in 533 Posts
Groans: 16
Groaned at 31 Times in 21 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Dont b scurrred

Sent from my left nut.

2011 Velocity red Mazdaspeed 3-SOLD.

FreeKtuned
fitty fitty
2011speed is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 01-23-2012, 12:22 AM   #35

Not Ranked  0 score     

In June of 2011 I was running Stage 1 93oct with no other mods. I believe it was the MS3 AP v102. Anyway, from everyone I've talked to, the K04 is marginal in handling more rpm and more boost (15.5psi). I believe Cobb says boost is down to about 16psi @ 6500rpm and admits to running higher than OEM shaft speeds. Everyone take their chances until you get a real turbo ie: 2871, 3071, 3076. At least I wouldn't run Mobil 1 5W30, the Zinc and Phos is only @ 800ppm when new. I have had dudes tell me that's an issue and don't use it. Redline is @ 1200+ppm. Racing oils are @ 2500ppm. Take your chances, it ain't only me out there with new shitty K04's.
 Old 01-23-2012, 12:39 AM   #36

Schmitty5 is the leader of the worldSchmitty5 is the leader of the worldSchmitty5 is the leader of the worldSchmitty5 is the leader of the worldSchmitty5 is the leader of the worldSchmitty5 is the leader of the worldSchmitty5 is the leader of the worldSchmitty5 is the leader of the worldSchmitty5 is the leader of the worldSchmitty5 is the leader of the worldSchmitty5 is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,501 Times in 523 Posts
Groans: 21
Not Ranked  0 score     

So much noob in this thread...

Listen up... If you're turbo does this (white smoke, blown seal, blown whatever) - google dealerships around you. Call and ask to speak with the service manager. Ask if they are aftermarket friendly. Mazda techs/service people get paid when they work on cars so there's really no reason why they wouldn't want to work on your car. Just call around.

This happened to me and I'm basically fully bolted (no cbe) and I did not have to stock out. Got a brand new k04 after 21k miles under warranty.

Oh - and another thing, after running your car hard, let it sit idle for a minute after you park.
 Old 01-23-2012, 02:18 AM   #37

cesaros is the leader of the worldcesaros is the leader of the worldcesaros is the leader of the worldcesaros is the leader of the worldcesaros is the leader of the worldcesaros is the leader of the worldcesaros is the leader of the worldcesaros is the leader of the worldcesaros is the leader of the worldcesaros is the leader of the worldcesaros is the leader of the world
Groans: 106
Groaned at 53 Times in 41 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by gbassrace View Post
I might get another AP but will have it tuned to reduce boost big time above 5500rpm.
isn't that what the factory does
cesaros is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 01-23-2012, 06:18 AM   #38

chintastic is the leader of the worldchintastic is the leader of the worldchintastic is the leader of the worldchintastic is the leader of the worldchintastic is the leader of the worldchintastic is the leader of the worldchintastic is the leader of the worldchintastic is the leader of the worldchintastic is the leader of the worldchintastic is the leader of the worldchintastic is the leader of the world
Groaned at 3 Times in 2 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

damn...i hate that its cold out and im blowing white smoke lol...but its not as bad as the video
 Old 01-23-2012, 09:45 PM   #39

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Schmitty5 View Post
So much noob in this thread...

Listen up... If you're turbo does this (white smoke, blown seal, blown whatever) - google dealerships around you. Call and ask to speak with the service manager. Ask if they are aftermarket friendly. Mazda techs/service people get paid when they work on cars so there's really no reason why they wouldn't want to work on your car. Just call around.

This happened to me and I'm basically fully bolted (no cbe) and I did not have to stock out. Got a brand new k04 after 21k miles under warranty.

Oh - and another thing, after running your car hard, let it sit idle for a minute after you park.
Some people don't have the time to do that, especially when our MS3s are our DD. And aftermarket friendly? All Mazda dealerships are not the same as yours. Dealerships here an intake at most..but if you go in fully bolted...well you better bring your knee pads with ya. With blown turbo most techs will run a diagnosis on the ECU to see where/what went wrong. Props to the guys who got replaced under warranty. Just have to have that one lazy tech who doesn't run the check on the ECU and send it in to Mazda.

Sent from my Etch a Sketch

Old 01-23-2012, 10:36 PM   #40

Not Ranked  0 score     

+1