register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3 MZR Gen2 Forums (2010-2013)
> Gen2 MS3 General Discussion

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Elusivellama
  • 1 Post By DONOTBUGME

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 07-24-2011, 04:39 PM   #1

JD80 is an unknown quantity at this point
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default Blown Turbo

I just wanted to give you guys another data point on this issue and perhaps get some advice.

I just got my car back from the dealer. I stocked out beforehand (except for the fuel pump – I just removed the sticker) and fortunately I didn't pay a dime to have my turbo replaced. The mods I was running:

Cobb intake, Cobb DP, CPE Fuel Pump, CPE RMM, AP with stage2 tune, 1 step colder plugs.

The first indication that there was a problem was quite obvious. After about 4 hard pulls in a row, as soon as I stopped at a stoplight, my exhaust started shooting out clouds of white smoke. Not just a little – it was billowing out. KiddMnky was right beside me so we turned into a parking lot to take a look. There appeared to be some smoke leaking out past the exhaust manifold, since we could see a bit of smoke coming out around the heat shield.

I limped the car home and started trying to troubleshoot. I bought new exhaust manifold bolts and gasket and made sure no exhaust leaks were occurring. I also installed a bnoon bolt. At first, the bnoon bolt seemed to cure the smoke, but after a few WOTs, the smoke was back nearly as bad as before. Not only that, but at this point I started hearing a suspicious sound when accelerating that sounded like a bearing being tortured. I also noticed that boost was not getting anywhere close to targets (12 PSI in 2nd gear, for instance)

At this point I gave up, stocked out, and took it to the dealer.

Now the question is:

Is installing a downpipe on these cars playing with fire? Or did I screw up the install somehow that led to this problem? I'm guessing the stock turbo doesn't like the reduced back pressure, but even more so if there is an exhaust leak.

The way I see it, I have 4 options:

1. Leave the car stock, sell my parts.
2. Go back to intake, tune and leave the exhaust stock.
3. Get the turbo reworked, or big turbo.
4. Sell my car and get something else that won't blow up the turbo with exhaust mods (if such a thing exists).

Any thoughts or suggestions would be massively appreciated...
JD80 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 07-24-2011, 04:55 PM   #2

Metal409 is the leader of the worldMetal409 is the leader of the worldMetal409 is the leader of the worldMetal409 is the leader of the worldMetal409 is the leader of the worldMetal409 is the leader of the worldMetal409 is the leader of the worldMetal409 is the leader of the worldMetal409 is the leader of the worldMetal409 is the leader of the worldMetal409 is the leader of the world
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

I say keep the car and enjoy it. It's your call when it comes to throwing all the parts back on or not, if it was me, i'd go back to stage 2. It's a car and shit happens, even new cars have things break. And regardless of if you sell the car and switch to something else, you're going to find out that it will also have problems and known issues all it's own. Just my 2cents.
Metal409 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 07-24-2011, 04:58 PM   #3

essejkcamraw is the leader of the worldessejkcamraw is the leader of the worldessejkcamraw is the leader of the worldessejkcamraw is the leader of the worldessejkcamraw is the leader of the worldessejkcamraw is the leader of the worldessejkcamraw is the leader of the worldessejkcamraw is the leader of the worldessejkcamraw is the leader of the worldessejkcamraw is the leader of the worldessejkcamraw is the leader of the world
Groans: 47
Groaned at 25 Times in 19 Posts
Neutral  +1 score     

keep mods. keep car. drop k04. pick up 3071 and have some fun blowing money like the rest of us.
AJ713 (07-25-2011), IshiKage (07-25-2011)
 Old 07-24-2011, 05:02 PM   #4

2010Speed3 is the leader of the world2010Speed3 is the leader of the world2010Speed3 is the leader of the world2010Speed3 is the leader of the world2010Speed3 is the leader of the world2010Speed3 is the leader of the world2010Speed3 is the leader of the world2010Speed3 is the leader of the world2010Speed3 is the leader of the world2010Speed3 is the leader of the world2010Speed3 is the leader of the world
Groans: 15
Groaned at 17 Times in 10 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

My story is very similar. I blew my turbo with SRI/TIP, race pipe, KMD internals, catback exhaust, 1 step colder plugs, RMM, stage 2 tune. I had initial smoking after I got fuel cut during a 1st gear launch. Month later, I had shaft play, stocked out (except RMM, internals, and catback exhaust), and took it to the dealer.

Now I'm running the new turbo with everything I had on before except the race pipe. I've been trying to get my tune down before I go Stage 2 again. The car works perfectly fine, if that's what you're worried about. As for your choices, it really depends on what your plans are with the car and how much disposable income you have.

Good luck.

2010 Black Mica MazdaSpeed3

Performance: BNR S3 - Sure Full 3" Aeros - Bosch 3 Bar Map - DDM HID Kit 6k 35w - Hella Super Tones - CorkSport LED Light Kit - Cobb Knob (Red) - VG Sharkfin Antenna - Sure Anchors - Jbarone 88duro Dog Bone RMM - Black CorkSport SRI/TIP (Powder Coated Black) - Ultimate Racing Race Pipe & CBE - KMD Internals - CorkSport Cold Air Box w/ Carbon Fiber Top - Turbosmart SU Blacked Out BPV - Cobb AccessPort Stage 2 (Nataphen Tuned) - JBarone RSB - CP-E TMIC
2010Speed3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 2010Speed3 For This Useful Post:
rfinkle2 (07-26-2011)
 Old 07-24-2011, 05:10 PM   #5

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

I'm really kidding myself that I will keep this car (or my next one) stock. How boring is that?

One thing I know I am doing for sure is getting a daily driver. I can't afford to be screwing with my car and possibly leave myself without transportation to get to work. This time around I borrowed a car from a family member and had it for an entire month while I was troubleshooting and then waiting for the dealership to fix it, but I can't always count on that, nor do I want to.

At the risk of committing a grave act of blasphemy, I have been looking into STis recently. But I'm having trouble justifying the extra 12k or more to get one.
 Old 07-24-2011, 05:53 PM   #6

adlpb is the leader of the worldadlpb is the leader of the worldadlpb is the leader of the worldadlpb is the leader of the worldadlpb is the leader of the worldadlpb is the leader of the worldadlpb is the leader of the worldadlpb is the leader of the worldadlpb is the leader of the worldadlpb is the leader of the worldadlpb is the leader of the world
Thanked 11,952 Times in 4,235 Posts
Groans: 669
Groaned at 34 Times in 32 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

This is the 2nd blown gen2 turbo thread in one day. Not good...looks like we're in for the same issues as gen1's.

Good side is 3071 may come sooner than I expected

Fast cars are for straight lines. Corners are for fast drivers.

2006 Corvette Z06 - AKA "El Zorro"

Sold: 2012 Evolution X GSR - 394awhp / 378awtq

Sold: 2011 MS3 Hypnotic Tuned @ 322whp/370tq
adlpb is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 07-24-2011, 06:02 PM   #7

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

I'm a little weary of going big turbo, but its not out of the question. I basically shed my newb card doing the downpipe install (and uninstall), although I had some help. The big turbo installs I've heard about so far sound pretty horrible.
 Old 07-24-2011, 06:06 PM   #8

Elusivellama is the leader of the worldElusivellama is the leader of the worldElusivellama is the leader of the worldElusivellama is the leader of the worldElusivellama is the leader of the worldElusivellama is the leader of the worldElusivellama is the leader of the worldElusivellama is the leader of the worldElusivellama is the leader of the worldElusivellama is the leader of the worldElusivellama is the leader of the world
Groans: 1
Groaned at 5 Times in 5 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

^ STI? Ringlands busting will be your new nightmare-in-waiting.
rfinkle2 likes this.
rfinkle2 (07-26-2011)
 Old 07-24-2011, 06:07 PM   #9

Sig_Nasty is the leader of the worldSig_Nasty is the leader of the worldSig_Nasty is the leader of the worldSig_Nasty is the leader of the worldSig_Nasty is the leader of the worldSig_Nasty is the leader of the worldSig_Nasty is the leader of the worldSig_Nasty is the leader of the worldSig_Nasty is the leader of the worldSig_Nasty is the leader of the worldSig_Nasty is the leader of the world
Groans: 10
Groaned at 4 Times in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

i blew my turbo on a stock car with 4.5k on it this past monday. had the turbo and gasktes replaced under warrenty thank god. had all the same symptoms as you.
Sig_Nasty is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 07-24-2011, 06:10 PM   #10

DONOTBUGME is the leader of the worldDONOTBUGME is the leader of the worldDONOTBUGME is the leader of the worldDONOTBUGME is the leader of the worldDONOTBUGME is the leader of the worldDONOTBUGME is the leader of the worldDONOTBUGME is the leader of the worldDONOTBUGME is the leader of the worldDONOTBUGME is the leader of the worldDONOTBUGME is the leader of the worldDONOTBUGME is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,191 Times in 994 Posts
Groans: 266
Groaned at 83 Times in 60 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Wow a whole 2 today....Look any product anyone makes are going to have a percentage fail. A good comparison would be your friend john (kid) he has put his ko4 @ 22psi for how long now and last time I talked to him it was fine. To bad you werent logging maybe be you spiked to some high ass number with the ots tune.
rfinkle2 likes this.
Blk 2010 MS3\\ Cobb AP Perm Tuned\ Autotech hpfp internals\ COBB intake \ Cobb Turbo Inlet \ Forge Bpv \ Cp-e DP \ Actual 3inch Magnaflow Exhaust \ Cp-e RMM \ JBR PMM \ ETS 3.5" TMIC \ Denso Iridium Power ITV22 \ JBR SSP and Bushings \ TWM Flat Black Piston Shift Knob\ Menzari Inferno Blk Wheels\ Eibach Pro-Kit Springs\ Koni Yellows \ Custom Painted Tanabe Strut Tower \ Red Corksport Boost Tubes and Bypass Valve Hose\ Black Badges \ DDM 5K HID, Fogs 3K yellow \ Shark Fin \\Audio \ Pioneer DD Touch Screen x920BT4 \ Alpine Type R 6.5" Components and 5x10 Speakers Powered by a 4 Channel 1600 Watt Avionxx Digital Amp \ 10" JLW3 Sub Powered by a 1 Channel 1000 watt Avionxx Digital Amp \ Prosport Prem. Boost and Oil Pressure Gauges \ Blockhead Dual Gauge Pod \\ Im thinking meth next.
DONOTBUGME is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DONOTBUGME For This Useful Post:
rfinkle2 (07-26-2011)
 Old 07-24-2011, 06:17 PM   #11

rghispanic88 is the leader of the worldrghispanic88 is the leader of the worldrghispanic88 is the leader of the worldrghispanic88 is the leader of the worldrghispanic88 is the leader of the worldrghispanic88 is the leader of the worldrghispanic88 is the leader of the worldrghispanic88 is the leader of the worldrghispanic88 is the leader of the worldrghispanic88 is the leader of the worldrghispanic88 is the leader of the world
Thanked 4,162 Times in 1,330 Posts
Groans: 263
Groaned at 73 Times in 43 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

this car is fun, so you should keep it.

shit is bound to happen.

if you sell it, i call dibbs on ur DP

2004 EVO 8 Green Monster The "7up"
rghispanic88 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 07-24-2011, 06:46 PM   #12

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

I guess it's possible I was boost spiking or something...but every time I went WOT when I was monitoring boost it was too low if anything. At the time I was more concerned about knock, which was better at stage 2 than stage 1 actually.

I may end up selling this DP even if I do keep the car. I'll keep you in mind.
 Old 07-24-2011, 06:49 PM   #13

DONOTBUGME is the leader of the worldDONOTBUGME is the leader of the worldDONOTBUGME is the leader of the worldDONOTBUGME is the leader of the worldDONOTBUGME is the leader of the worldDONOTBUGME is the leader of the worldDONOTBUGME is the leader of the worldDONOTBUGME is the leader of the worldDONOTBUGME is the leader of the worldDONOTBUGME is the leader of the worldDONOTBUGME is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,191 Times in 994 Posts
Groans: 266
Groaned at 83 Times in 60 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by JD80 View Post
I guess it's possible I was boost spiking or something...but every time I went WOT when I was monitoring boost it was too low if anything. At the time I was more concerned about knock, which was better at stage 2 than stage 1 actually.

I may end up selling this DP even if I do keep the car. I'll keep you in mind.
Moral of the story is...Get a perm tune (DJ) or your turbo will blow
Blk 2010 MS3\\ Cobb AP Perm Tuned\ Autotech hpfp internals\ COBB intake \ Cobb Turbo Inlet \ Forge Bpv \ Cp-e DP \ Actual 3inch Magnaflow Exhaust \ Cp-e RMM \ JBR PMM \ ETS 3.5" TMIC \ Denso Iridium Power ITV22 \ JBR SSP and Bushings \ TWM Flat Black Piston Shift Knob\ Menzari Inferno Blk Wheels\ Eibach Pro-Kit Springs\ Koni Yellows \ Custom Painted Tanabe Strut Tower \ Red Corksport Boost Tubes and Bypass Valve Hose\ Black Badges \ DDM 5K HID, Fogs 3K yellow \ Shark Fin \\Audio \ Pioneer DD Touch Screen x920BT4 \ Alpine Type R 6.5" Components and 5x10 Speakers Powered by a 4 Channel 1600 Watt Avionxx Digital Amp \ 10" JLW3 Sub Powered by a 1 Channel 1000 watt Avionxx Digital Amp \ Prosport Prem. Boost and Oil Pressure Gauges \ Blockhead Dual Gauge Pod \\ Im thinking meth next.
DONOTBUGME is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 07-24-2011, 07:07 PM   #14

daztdMS6 has a reputation beyond reputedaztdMS6 has a reputation beyond reputedaztdMS6 has a reputation beyond reputedaztdMS6 has a reputation beyond reputedaztdMS6 has a reputation beyond reputedaztdMS6 has a reputation beyond reputedaztdMS6 has a reputation beyond reputedaztdMS6 has a reputation beyond reputedaztdMS6 has a reputation beyond reputedaztdMS6 has a reputation beyond reputedaztdMS6 has a reputation beyond repute
Groaned at 4 Times in 3 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

2. Go back to intake, tune and leave the exhaust stock.
Do #2!! LOL
DashHawk, CorkSport TIP & SRI, CorkSport TMIC, SU RMM, CPE rear diff mount, Perrin EBCS, TurboSmart BPV, TWM Stage 2 STS + metal bushings, Denso ITV-22, SM OCC, JBR EGR deletion & TIG, silicone boost tubes, Bilstein HD shocks, LED light bulbs, TRS clear projectors, 35W DDM Tuning HID foglights, Hawks HPS brake pads, Amsoil in the rear diff, pto & trans, factory navi, XCarLink USB.
daztdMS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 07-24-2011, 08:17 PM   #15

kmac is the leader of the worldkmac is the leader of the worldkmac is the leader of the worldkmac is the leader of the worldkmac is the leader of the worldkmac is the leader of the worldkmac is the leader of the worldkmac is the leader of the worldkmac is the leader of the worldkmac is the leader of the worldkmac is the leader of the world
Thanked 4,255 Times in 1,244 Posts
Groans: 8
Groaned at 13 Times in 12 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Just get a big turbo and get rid of the ko4. The turbo by nature is pure fail. It's working to had to make the power.
kmac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kmac For This Useful Post:
rfinkle2 (07-26-2011)
 Old 07-25-2011, 06:21 PM   #16

CobraStarVIII is a splendid one to beholdCobraStarVIII is a splendid one to beholdCobraStarVIII is a splendid one to beholdCobraStarVIII is a splendid one to beholdCobraStarVIII is a splendid one to beholdCobraStarVIII is a splendid one to beholdCobraStarVIII is a splendid one to beholdCobraStarVIII is a splendid one to behold
Not Ranked  0 score     

I'm really kidding myself that I will keep this car (or my next one) stock. How boring is that?

One thing I know I am doing for sure is getting a daily driver. I can't afford to be screwing with my car and possibly leave myself without transportation to get to work. This time around I borrowed a car from a family member and had it for an entire month while I was troubleshooting and then waiting for the dealership to fix it, but I can't always count on that, nor do I want to.

At the risk of committing a grave act of blasphemy, I have been looking into STis recently. But I'm having trouble justifying the extra 12k or more to get one.
I just had the same thing happen and felt the same way, thinking about trading this car in after the repair, but it's a lot of fun to drive, thats why I bought it over other cars in the first place.
CobraStarVIII is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 07-25-2011, 06:24 PM   #17

manelscout4life is the leader of the worldmanelscout4life is the leader of the worldmanelscout4life is the leader of the worldmanelscout4life is the leader of the worldmanelscout4life is the leader of the worldmanelscout4life is the leader of the worldmanelscout4life is the leader of the worldmanelscout4life is the leader of the worldmanelscout4life is the leader of the worldmanelscout4life is the leader of the worldmanelscout4life is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,779 Times in 741 Posts
Groans: 661
Groaned at 45 Times in 33 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

wow, gen2's are blowing turbos like no tomorrow.

GenWON > genPU
manelscout4life is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 07-25-2011, 09:23 PM   #18

2010Speed3 is the leader of the world2010Speed3 is the leader of the world2010Speed3 is the leader of the world2010Speed3 is the leader of the world2010Speed3 is the leader of the world2010Speed3 is the leader of the world2010Speed3 is the leader of the world2010Speed3 is the leader of the world2010Speed3 is the leader of the world2010Speed3 is the leader of the world2010Speed3 is the leader of the world
Groans: 15
Groaned at 17 Times in 10 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by CobraStarVIII View Post
I just had the same thing happen and felt the same way, thinking about trading this car in after the repair, but it's a lot of fun to drive, thats why I bought it over other cars in the first place.
Any mods when you blew it up?

2010 Black Mica MazdaSpeed3

Performance: BNR S3 - Sure Full 3" Aeros - Bosch 3 Bar Map - DDM HID Kit 6k 35w - Hella Super Tones - CorkSport LED Light Kit - Cobb Knob (Red) - VG Sharkfin Antenna - Sure Anchors - Jbarone 88duro Dog Bone RMM - Black CorkSport SRI/TIP (Powder Coated Black) - Ultimate Racing Race Pipe & CBE - KMD Internals - CorkSport Cold Air Box w/ Carbon Fiber Top - Turbosmart SU Blacked Out BPV - Cobb AccessPort Stage 2 (Nataphen Tuned) - JBarone RSB - CP-E TMIC
2010Speed3 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 07-26-2011, 11:18 AM   #19

Elusivellama is the leader of the worldElusivellama is the leader of the worldElusivellama is the leader of the worldElusivellama is the leader of the worldElusivellama is the leader of the worldElusivellama is the leader of the worldElusivellama is the leader of the worldElusivellama is the leader of the worldElusivellama is the leader of the worldElusivellama is the leader of the worldElusivellama is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

I found this... interesting read on the K04

K04 TURBO REPORT FROM NEUSPEED
2010Speed3 (07-28-2011), Pu Manchu (07-26-2011)
 Old 07-26-2011, 11:39 AM   #20

adlpb is the leader of the worldadlpb is the leader of the worldadlpb is the leader of the worldadlpb is the leader of the worldadlpb is the leader of the worldadlpb is the leader of the worldadlpb is the leader of the worldadlpb is the leader of the worldadlpb is the leader of the worldadlpb is the leader of the worldadlpb is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

K04 users should always bring their vehicle to a complete stop and allow the engine to idle prior to shutting down the engine. Recommended idle times vary from 1 minute after mild driving, to 5 minutes after aggressive driving. The idle-down procedure circulates fresh oil and coolant through the turbocharger, allowing it to cool gradually, prior to shut-down.
That's interesting...5 minutes seems like a lot. Definitely not 30 seconds as recommended

Old 07-26-2011, 01:25 PM   #21

Not Ranked  0 score     

Did you see the viscosity of recommended oil? 20W50 in summer, 10W40 in winter.

I can believe 5 mins for aggressive driving and with a ton of boost, but 1 min after mild driving? The turbo must be spinning even during mild driving?
 Old 07-26-2011, 01:43 PM   #22

Not Ranked  0 score     

Yea that viscosity issue is a little to general. Winter in North Dakota is a lot different than winter here in Florida.

I leave it on for 30 seconds. I don't usually full-boost to my parking lot anyway. I'm usually stuck at a red light after going WOT.

Old 07-26-2011, 02:06 PM   #23

rfinkle2 is the leader of the worldrfinkle2 is the leader of the worldrfinkle2 is the leader of the worldrfinkle2 is the leader of the worldrfinkle2 is the leader of the worldrfinkle2 is the leader of the worldrfinkle2 is the leader of the worldrfinkle2 is the leader of the worldrfinkle2 is the leader of the worldrfinkle2 is the leader of the worldrfinkle2 is the leader of the world
Thanked 33,219 Times in 10,050 Posts
Groans: 298
Groaned at 292 Times in 196 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

@ least is the turbo and not the motor?
rfinkle2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rfinkle2 For This Useful Post:
DONOTBUGME (07-26-2011)
 Old 07-27-2011, 09:23 PM   #24

gbassrace will become famous soon enoughgbassrace will become famous soon enough
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

I'm next GD it!!! 3 good runs from 3k-6k and HUGE smoke out the rear. Warranty replaced but a huge hassle. WTF!!! Trying to figure it all out.........No mods other than AP Stg 1 93.

BTW - Christian says it's the PCV system like Gen 1 not the K04. Nice Mazda!

Last edited by gbassrace; 07-27-2011 at 09:23 PM. Reason: MSF Database - Automerged Doublepost
gbassrace is offline   Reply With Quote