register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3 MZR Gen2 Forums (2010-2013)
> Gen2 MS3 General Discussion

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 09-22-2017, 09:23 AM   #1

gotovato has a spectacular aura aboutgotovato has a spectacular aura about
Groans: 0
Groaned at 2 Times in 1 Post
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default Dropping fuel pressure under WOT

Hey all, so recently I've noticed an issue during wot pulls in 3rd and 4th gear. At first I thought it was misfiring but under inspection of the plugs they are in good shape. I logged a few pulls and saw my fuel pressure drop from ~1800-1900psi down to 500psi and even 280psi at one point. It looks like it's only dropping for one cell then it bounces back up to where it should be. This happened a few times during one pull. Boost stays the same and AFR doesn't go lean but fuel pressure is dropping for sure. Where should I start in diagnosing this? What are the possible causes for this? ITFP? HPFP? Any help would be great thanks. Also I can post the log when I get home if you need to see it.
2011 ms3 Cobb AP, Forge bypass valve, HPFP internals, Cobb downpipe, Custom fmic w/mishimoto core, Cobb RMM, Cobb EBC, KW coilovers, stop tech fluid, hawk HP+ pads, ACT clutch, ATP 3071r, HTP 3.5" intake, Damond catch can, Custom dyno tune
gotovato is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 09-23-2017, 11:09 AM   #2

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Anyone?
2011 ms3 Cobb AP, Forge bypass valve, HPFP internals, Cobb downpipe, Custom fmic w/mishimoto core, Cobb RMM, Cobb EBC, KW coilovers, stop tech fluid, hawk HP+ pads, ACT clutch, ATP 3071r, HTP 3.5" intake, Damond catch can, Custom dyno tune
 Old 09-26-2017, 09:17 AM   #3

Bexar is a splendid one to beholdBexar is a splendid one to beholdBexar is a splendid one to beholdBexar is a splendid one to beholdBexar is a splendid one to beholdBexar is a splendid one to beholdBexar is a splendid one to behold
Groans: 1
Groaned at 18 Times in 8 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

What brand hpfp

Need to be installed: TurboXS downpipe, midpipe // Hawk pads + rotors // Redline trans fluid // Damond EGR delete

I ❤ hatches
Bexar is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 09-27-2017, 02:45 PM   #4

PlatinumCore16 is a name known to allPlatinumCore16 is a name known to allPlatinumCore16 is a name known to allPlatinumCore16 is a name known to allPlatinumCore16 is a name known to allPlatinumCore16 is a name known to all
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

You need to read the forums, bro. This issue has been long well known and beaten into the dirt. The OEM HPFP is not strong enough for mods. Pu's are notorious for going bad without warning. Sometimes you don't even need mods. Look into a new pump from CS, or internals from Autotech or CS.
Consider this a nice warning. Most people here don't take kindly to users who don't read before posting.

Jettisoned from my personal computing unit
PlatinumCore16 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 09-27-2017, 03:18 PM   #5

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

HPFP internals are done as my signature suggests. I've got autotech internals. In tank pump holds a steady 60psi when key is on. When I start the engine the needle bounces between 40-80psi which I found interesting.

Originally Posted by PlatinumCore16 View Post
You need to read the forums, bro. This issue has been long well known and beaten into the dirt. The OEM HPFP is not strong enough for mods. Pu's are notorious for going bad without warning. Sometimes you don't even need mods. Look into a new pump from CS, or internals from Autotech or CS.
Consider this a nice warning. Most people here don't take kindly to users who don't read before posting.

Yea...with the mods on this car the HPFP was the first thing changed. My signature shows I've done this. Thanks though

Last edited by gotovato; 09-27-2017 at 03:18 PM. Reason: MSF Database - Automerged Doublepost
 Old 09-27-2017, 03:56 PM   #6

PlatinumCore16 is a name known to allPlatinumCore16 is a name known to allPlatinumCore16 is a name known to allPlatinumCore16 is a name known to allPlatinumCore16 is a name known to allPlatinumCore16 is a name known to all
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by gotovato View Post
HPFP internals are done as my signature suggests. I've got autotech internals. In tank pump holds a steady 60psi when key is on. When I start the engine the needle bounces between 40-80psi which I found interesting.

Yea...with the mods on this car the HPFP was the first thing changed. My signature shows I've done this. Thanks though
Well, my sincerest apologies. Tapatalk doesn't make sigs immediately readable. That is much weirder then, but I would still suspect HPFP is not good. Where'd you get the internals?

Old 09-27-2017, 04:06 PM   #7

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

I got them from Cobb. They've been installed for about a year now with no issue. I'm thinking this could be an issue with the pressure relief valve opening up and not holding pressure as it should?
 Old 09-27-2017, 04:33 PM   #8

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by gotovato View Post
I got them from Cobb. They've been installed for about a year now with no issue. I'm thinking this could be an issue with the pressure relief valve opening up and not holding pressure as it should?
I believe I've read about that happening to others before, could be. You got good internals from a reputable seller, so that's more than likely not it, so I'm out of my experience here. Will continue to follow though. Good luck to you.

Old 09-27-2017, 04:54 PM   #9

Thor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the world
Groans: 77
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

Search other threads about the PRV and you may find the issue.
2007 MS6- H&R Coilovers/ C-PE Catted DP/Corksport HPFP Internals/ AEM CAI/ ETS TMIC/ CPE Austenite Dual CBE/ CPE TIH/ Synapse Synchronic/ Freektuned/ AP Short Shifter/ AWR RMM and OEM TMM with CS Inserts/ Southbend Stage 2 Endurance/Stop Tech Slotted Rear and DBA T3 4000 Series Front with EBC Reds/CPE xFlex Rear Diff Mount/ Whiteline Rear Sway Bar/DSS Level 2.9 Rear Axles

Waiting for Install: Damond OCC/ CS Injector Seals/ WMI/ Torque Solutions Shifter base bushings
Thor Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 10-02-2017, 09:37 PM   #10

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Replaced the valve. Same issue. Thinking it might be fuel rail pressure sensor based on the logs.
 Old 10-21-2017, 07:37 AM   #11

JFord is a glorious beacon of lightJFord is a glorious beacon of lightJFord is a glorious beacon of lightJFord is a glorious beacon of lightJFord is a glorious beacon of lightJFord is a glorious beacon of light
Groaned at 11 Times in 6 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Did you ever find the problem?

Im having the same exact issue.
South Ben Clutch Stage 3, Autotech Internals, CP-E RMM V2, JBR Side Mounts, JBR Short Shifter, OCC, H&R Springs, CP-E TMIC, Cobb TIH, Cobb SRI, Cobb AP, Stratified E85 Tune, Corksport Racepipe, Resonator Delete, MHP Caliper Covers, 1" Wheel Spacers, Deka light weight battery, JBR Small Battery Box, Step Colder Denso.
JFord is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 10-21-2017, 07:48 AM   #12

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Right now me and my tuner think it's the fuel pressure sensor on the rail with how the logs look and when the fuel pressure drops its for a single cell in the log. Goes from 1800ish right down to 300 then instantly back up. When the fuel pressure drops the car goes rich based on the logs so we're thinking its dumping fuel due to seeing low fuel pressure from a bad sensor. Currently waiting on a sensor to see if that's the fix.
 Old 10-21-2017, 10:20 AM   #13

JFord is a glorious beacon of lightJFord is a glorious beacon of lightJFord is a glorious beacon of lightJFord is a glorious beacon of lightJFord is a glorious beacon of lightJFord is a glorious beacon of light
Not Ranked  0 score     

Fuel pressure sensor? Is this the item that is permanently attached to the fuel rail?

Do you have a part number or link by any chance?
South Ben Clutch Stage 3, Autotech Internals, CP-E RMM V2, JBR Side Mounts, JBR Short Shifter, OCC, H&R Springs, CP-E TMIC, Cobb TIH, Cobb SRI, Cobb AP, Stratified E85 Tune, Corksport Racepipe, Resonator Delete, MHP Caliper Covers, 1" Wheel Spacers, Deka light weight battery, JBR Small Battery Box, Step Colder Denso.
 Old 10-21-2017, 04:09 PM   #14

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

It comes with the fuel rail. It is removable but from what I've heard you can replaced just the sensor, if you can find one. My tuner "knows a guy" and is bringing me in just the sensor. I have no part number for it unfortunately. Apparently the whole rail with sensor is the only way to find it from the dealer and it's not cheap or fun to replace.
 Old 10-22-2017, 11:34 AM   #15

Not Ranked  0 score     

None of that sounds good.

Please post your results.

Any idea how bad it is to drop psi in just one cell? I wonder if I need to stay off WOT until I get it fixed?
 Old 10-22-2017, 11:36 AM   #16

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

My guys have been suggesting I stay off wot. Normal drive ability seems fine though only under wot does it happen. And it seems it goes rich when the pressure drops meaning it's probably just the sensor and you won't really damage anything it just feels like garbage to go wot.
 Old 10-22-2017, 11:40 AM   #17

Not Ranked  0 score     

So far I have replaced my fuel pump in the tank and have rebuilt my HPFP and I'm still getting low psi in one cell during WOT logs. It only happens one or two cells per pull. Its driving me crazy trying to locate the issue.

Anyway, please keep me posted on your results.

Thanks!
 Old 10-22-2017, 03:17 PM   #18

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

This has been driving me crazy too. As soon as I replace the sensor I'll report back. Hoping that's the issue.
 Old 11-11-2017, 08:12 PM   #19

Not Ranked  0 score     

Well, I installed the corksport HPFP braided line and rebuilt the HPFP with all new o-rings.

Im still getting dips in preassure. ARGHHHHHHH!!!!!!
 Old 11-11-2017, 08:18 PM   #20

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

I'm still waiting for the sensor to arrive. My car will be going into storage for the winter very soon. Hopefully I get the sensor soon
 Old 12-06-2017, 09:55 PM   #21

Not Ranked  0 score     

I fixed it. It was the fuel rail sensor. I took it out and cleaned it.
Im not getting the psi dips like I was. The lowest psi I see at WOT is 1550. Which is a drastic improvement.

I ordered a new sensor thorugh ebay coming from germany. Im hoping the new sensor will put me psi up to the 1700 psi range. But if not I can live with 1550.
The Following User Says Thank You to JFord For This Useful Post:
gotovato (12-06-2017)
 Old 12-06-2017, 10:16 PM   #22

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Well that is significantly better. My car has been put away for the season for about a month now so I can't really test anything on it. I do have access to a new sensor though so when the time comes I'll throw it in. I guess we can confirm this is an issue caused by the fuel rail pressure sensor. Thanks for the input man!