register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3 MZR Gen2 Forums (2010-2013)
> Gen2 MS3 General Discussion

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By dpark4
  • 1 Post By g00s3y

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 06-13-2018, 08:21 PM   #1

dpark4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default Fair Price for this 2012 MS3

I am shopping for a MS3 and talking to a seller and wanted to know a fair price for this particular MS3.

2012 Mazda MazdaSpeed 3
White
110,000 miles (approx)

Modifications
- Full Motor Mounts
- CP-E Downpipe
- Corksport Exhaust
- COBB Intake
- COBB Turbo Inlet
- Corksport Front Mount Intercooler
- Autotech Fuel Pump Internals
- COBB Accessport
- COBB Shifter weight
- Tuned by Nishan
- MB Battle Wheels

The car is a clean title with no accidents and seems to be well taken care off. My main concern is the mileage and the fact that it still has the stock turbo and stock clutch. I'm worried that those will need to be replaced/upgraded soon and I know that won't be cheap. Is this a good buy and what would be a fair price? Thank you in advance.
dpark4 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 06-13-2018, 09:11 PM   #2

Solarsurge has much to be proud ofSolarsurge has much to be proud ofSolarsurge has much to be proud ofSolarsurge has much to be proud ofSolarsurge has much to be proud ofSolarsurge has much to be proud ofSolarsurge has much to be proud ofSolarsurge has much to be proud ofSolarsurge has much to be proud ofSolarsurge has much to be proud of
Not Ranked  0 score     

KBB value is around $9500 for 3rd party sale on a stock one, but that car is undoubtedly worth less on the open market because it's been modified and likely driven hard. If you're looking for a modded Speed3, it does have around $5k in mods (new) right there, though, and Nishan is one of the best tuners on the platform. So, the real question is: What is it worth TO YOU?
Solarsurge is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 06-15-2018, 03:09 PM   #3

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

I really love the car, but I'm afraid that with the mileage it has, it is going to need some serious maintenance done soon. I.E. the clutch and possibly the turbo. The guy is trying to get a at least $11.5K for it, I'm guessing it would be at a minimum $1500 to get those things replaced. I know the clutch is going to have to be done eventually anyway. And I know these turbos have their problems, so given that it has lasted this long, do you think it's good and will continue to last a while? Or is there a good chance of it going any time?

And if I did buy the car and decide to change both the turbo and the clutch would it be smart to do both at the same time? I'd like to think it would save some labor costs.

Last edited by dpark4; 06-15-2018 at 03:09 PM. Reason: MSF Database - Automerged Doublepost
 Old 06-15-2018, 08:30 PM   #4

kTaLgsTo is the leader of the worldkTaLgsTo is the leader of the worldkTaLgsTo is the leader of the worldkTaLgsTo is the leader of the worldkTaLgsTo is the leader of the worldkTaLgsTo is the leader of the worldkTaLgsTo is the leader of the worldkTaLgsTo is the leader of the worldkTaLgsTo is the leader of the worldkTaLgsTo is the leader of the worldkTaLgsTo is the leader of the world
Groans: 8
Not Ranked  0 score     

Offer him 8500, that's the max
 Old 06-15-2018, 10:29 PM   #5

Solarsurge has much to be proud ofSolarsurge has much to be proud ofSolarsurge has much to be proud ofSolarsurge has much to be proud ofSolarsurge has much to be proud ofSolarsurge has much to be proud ofSolarsurge has much to be proud ofSolarsurge has much to be proud ofSolarsurge has much to be proud ofSolarsurge has much to be proud of
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by dpark4 View Post
I really love the car, but I'm afraid that with the mileage it has, it is going to need some serious maintenance done soon. I.E. the clutch and possibly the turbo. The guy is trying to get a at least $11.5K for it, I'm guessing it would be at a minimum $1500 to get those things replaced. I know the clutch is going to have to be done eventually anyway. And I know these turbos have their problems, so given that it has lasted this long, do you think it's good and will continue to last a while? Or is there a good chance of it going any time?

And if I did buy the car and decide to change both the turbo and the clutch would it be smart to do both at the same time? I'd like to think it would save some labor costs.
It is my experience that people don't generally dump modded Speeds unless they already know something is on the way out or they have "life circumstances." And "life circumstances" usually result in part-outs or trade-ins at the dealership. On the off-chance you got lucky and found a random dude who is just bored of his perfectly working toy, I'd say the turbo is already beyond its shelf life. Get the engine checked by a GOOD mechanic if you're seriously considering making an offer.

The only common labor ground those two parts share is removal of the battery and intake (about 15 minutes of actual work), so you're not gonna save much getting them done together. lol

Originally Posted by kTaLgsTo View Post
Offer him 8500, that's the max
^^Sounds about right. I'd offer $8500, and if you actually care about the existing mods and plan to buy them anyway, I might go up to $10k if the engine is in good health. The rest of the car is basically unbreakable, in my opinion.
 Old 06-16-2018, 04:59 PM   #6

KiwiFlavor is the leader of the worldKiwiFlavor is the leader of the worldKiwiFlavor is the leader of the worldKiwiFlavor is the leader of the worldKiwiFlavor is the leader of the worldKiwiFlavor is the leader of the worldKiwiFlavor is the leader of the worldKiwiFlavor is the leader of the worldKiwiFlavor is the leader of the worldKiwiFlavor is the leader of the worldKiwiFlavor is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,519 Times in 927 Posts
Groans: 17
Groaned at 6 Times in 5 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

@dpark4; Iíve been trying to sell my car for a while now. No luck so far, just tire kickers evem though I think I priced It fair at $11k. Itís a 2012, non tech with 63,6xx miles on it. Mods are in my sig. Car has been very reliable.

Originally Posted by Solarsurge View Post
It is my experience that people don't generally dump modded Speeds unless they already know something is on the way out or they have "life circumstances." And "life circumstances" usually result in part-outs or trade-ins at the dealership. On the off-chance you got lucky and found a random dude who is just bored of his perfectly working toy.

This guy is right. And Im on the latter category. Well mostly because I bought a genjuan last year and itís almost done being built and I got too many cars on my apartment parking lot lol.

BNR S3 - JBR Tru 3.0" - CP-E TMIC - Corksport catless DP - Corksport catted race pipe - Forge V2 - Autotech internals + AP v3 - Swift springs - Enkei RPF1 17x9 + 45 (5mm JBR spacers in the front) - Freektune 320/346
KiwiFlavor is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old Yesterday, 05:41 PM   #7

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

It is my experience that people don't generally dump modded Speeds unless they already know something is on the way out or they have "life circumstances." And "life circumstances" usually result in part-outs or trade-ins at the dealership. On the off-chance you got lucky and found a random dude who is just bored of his perfectly working toy, I'd say the turbo is already beyond its shelf life. Get the engine checked by a GOOD mechanic if you're seriously considering making an offer.

The only common labor ground those two parts share is removal of the battery and intake (about 15 minutes of actual work), so you're not gonna save much getting them done together. lol

^^Sounds about right. I'd offer $8500, and if you actually care about the existing mods and plan to buy them anyway, I might go up to $10k if the engine is in good health. The rest of the car is basically unbreakable, in my opinion.
Yeah this guys falls into the life circumstances category. I offered him $10k and he said he wouldn't be able to do that considering the amount of money he's put into it. He said he could part it out and then do that, which I figured he would say. I really like the car and the mods he's put into it, but with the fact that I'm going to have to replace the clutch soon and the state of the turbo, I think $10k is fair and the max I would do. Thank you guys for the help.

Originally Posted by KiwiFlavor View Post
@dpark4; Iíve been trying to sell my car for a while now. No luck so far, just tire kickers evem though I think I priced It fair at $11k. Itís a 2012, non tech with 63,6xx miles on it. Mods are in my sig. Car has been very reliable.

This guy is right. And Im on the latter category. Well mostly because I bought a genjuan last year and itís almost done being built and I got too many cars on my apartment parking lot lol.
Man that sounds like a good price and the mileage and mods, I'd love to check it out. Unfortunately I'm all the way across the country in California lol.
KiwiFlavor likes this.

Last edited by dpark4; Yesterday at 05:41 PM. Reason: MSF Database - Automerged Doublepost
 Old Yesterday, 05:50 PM   #8

KiwiFlavor is the leader of the worldKiwiFlavor is the leader of the worldKiwiFlavor is the leader of the worldKiwiFlavor is the leader of the worldKiwiFlavor is the leader of the worldKiwiFlavor is the leader of the worldKiwiFlavor is the leader of the worldKiwiFlavor is the leader of the worldKiwiFlavor is the leader of the worldKiwiFlavor is the leader of the worldKiwiFlavor is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,519 Times in 927 Posts
Groans: 17
Groaned at 6 Times in 5 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by dpark4 View Post
Yeah this guys falls into the life circumstances category. I offered him $10k and he said he wouldn't be able to do that considering the amount of money he's put into it. He said he could part it out and then do that, which I figured he would say. I really like the car and the mods he's put into it, but with the fact that I'm going to have to replace the clutch soon and the state of the turbo, I think $10k is fair and the max I would do. Thank you guys for the help.

Man that sounds like a good price and the mileage and mods, I'd love to check it out. Unfortunately I'm all the way across the country in California lol.

Lol come here for a weekend

BNR S3 - JBR Tru 3.0" - CP-E TMIC - Corksport catless DP - Corksport catted race pipe - Forge V2 - Autotech internals + AP v3 - Swift springs - Enkei RPF1 17x9 + 45 (5mm JBR spacers in the front) - Freektune 320/346
KiwiFlavor is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old Today, 08:45 AM   #9

g00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,152 Times in 955 Posts
Groans: 425
Groaned at 11 Times in 11 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Buy mine for 12k

Built motor (Manley H-Beams & SP63 4032 Pistons, all OEM everything else), AT internals, CS Seals, Cobb AP With ATR (fuck their course, I still have my install file), all stock otherwise, I've already parted out.
KiwiFlavor likes this.
 Old Today, 11:29 AM   #10

Djohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,481 Times in 1,349 Posts
Groans: 105
Groaned at 9 Times in 8 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I wouldnít say this is true honesty. Just had a local sell his full bolt on bnr s4 car with like 68k out of the blue. Really had no reason other than ďtheyíre losing their valueĒ.
The go: Depo racing: downpipe (100 cell count), custom: FMIC. HTP: 3.5" intake, under route piping. JBR: shortshifter, RSB. Autotech: HPFP internals. Go fast bits: hybrid BPV, VMR: 18x8.5 V710s, Bridgestone: potenza re760 245/40/18, KW: v3 coilovers,SPC: camber arms, freektuned, Damond Motorsports: dual OCC, PMM, PCV plate, RMM, TMM, EGR delete, FoSt mani, Corksport: battery box(fuck this thing), injector seals, Cobb: EBCS, AP v3. AEM: methanol. Seibon: carbon fiber hood. UR: catback. Bosch: 3bar. BNR: s4, DNP: EWG manifold, Tial: 38mm mvs EWG.

The show: 5% tint all around, 50% tint windshield, rally armor mudflaps, Sony XAV64BT touchscreen headunit, katskin leather interior, CPE relocation plate, Maisonvi weighted shift knob, Corksport hoodscoop, black housing headlights.

Soon:built motor
Djohns is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old Today, 12:17 PM   #11

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Djohns View Post
I wouldnít say this is true honesty. Just had a local sell his full bolt on bnr s4 car with like 68k out of the blue. Really had no reason other than ďtheyíre losing their valueĒ.

This would be the off-chance someone wanted to get rid of their perfectly working toy, would it not? Iím not saying this never happens. Iím saying that it rarely happens. Most people with cars that are not problematic will try to recoup as much as they can by going back to stock, as a modded car is generally worth less than stock, then selling the aftermarket parts for additional money. Potentially there is a difference of hundreds if not thousands of dollars with $5k+ in aftermarket parts. Usually the only reason someone will dump a modded car is because it has problematic mods that canít be resold, they donít have the stock parts anymore and the car is starting to show signs of trouble, or unexpected life circumstances have arisen where they are desperate to get whatever they can get as quickly as possible. Otherwise, theyíd literally just be throwing away money. Some people may have money like that and donít care, but I would say itís highly unlikely theyíre the kind of people buying Mazdaspeeds to begin with lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 Old Today, 12:23 PM   #12

Djohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,481 Times in 1,349 Posts
Groans: 105
Groaned at 9 Times in 8 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

This would be the off-chance someone wanted to get rid of their perfectly working toy, would it not? Iím not saying this never happens. Iím saying that it rarely happens. Most people with cars that are not problematic will try to recoup as much as they can by going back to stock, as a modded car is generally worth less than stock, then selling the aftermarket parts for additional money. Potentially there is a difference of hundreds if not thousands of dollars with $5k+ in aftermarket parts. Usually the only reason someone will dump a modded car is because it has problematic mods that canít be resold, they donít have the stock parts anymore and the car is starting to show signs of trouble, or unexpected life circumstances have arisen where they are desperate to get whatever they can get as quickly as possible. Otherwise, theyíd literally just be throwing away money. Some people may have money like that and donít care, but I would say itís highly unlikely theyíre the kind of people buying Mazdaspeeds to begin with lol.

If you think about it though, stocking out a car takes a lot of work and time and some people are just too lazy or donít have the time to put up with that shit. But Iím definitely not saying youíre wrong about something being wrong with the car because thatís entirely possible. Iíd personally ask for a compression test and maybe a leak down test before I would purchase it.
The go: Depo racing: downpipe (100 cell count), custom: FMIC. HTP: 3.5" intake, under route piping. JBR: shortshifter, RSB. Autotech: HPFP internals. Go fast bits: hybrid BPV, VMR: 18x8.5 V710s, Bridgestone: potenza re760 245/40/18, KW: v3 coilovers,SPC: camber arms, freektuned, Damond Motorsports: dual OCC, PMM, PCV plate, RMM, TMM, EGR delete, FoSt mani, Corksport: battery box(fuck this thing), injector seals, Cobb: EBCS, AP v3. AEM: methanol. Seibon: carbon fiber hood. UR: catback. Bosch: 3bar. BNR: s4, DNP: EWG manifold, Tial: 38mm mvs EWG.

The show: 5% tint all around, 50% tint windshield, rally armor mudflaps, Sony XAV64BT touchscreen headunit, katskin leather interior, CPE relocation plate, Maisonvi weighted shift knob, Corksport hoodscoop, black housing headlights.

Soon:built motor
Djohns is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old Today, 12:36 PM   #13

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Djohns View Post
If you think about it though, stocking out a car takes a lot of work and time and some people are just too lazy or donít have the time to put up with that shit. But Iím definitely not saying youíre wrong about something being wrong with the car because thatís entirely possible. Iíd personally ask for a compression test and maybe a leak down test before I would purchase it.

Shoot... for potentially a few thousand dollars, I would find the time and energy, and I might even whore myself out in the process. Hell, if anyone reads this and feels too lazy, Iíll do it for you and gladly take the money youíre leaving on the table with no hesitation. lol

Old Today, 01:18 PM   #14

g00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,152 Times in 955 Posts
Groans: 425
Groaned at 11 Times in 11 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Stocking the car out is easy.

Putting all the stock shit back on, now that's the hard part.