register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3 MZR Gen2 Forums (2010-2013)
> Gen2 MS3 General Discussion

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 01-02-2012, 01:57 PM   #1

cesaros is the leader of the worldcesaros is the leader of the worldcesaros is the leader of the worldcesaros is the leader of the worldcesaros is the leader of the worldcesaros is the leader of the worldcesaros is the leader of the worldcesaros is the leader of the worldcesaros is the leader of the worldcesaros is the leader of the worldcesaros is the leader of the world
Groans: 106
Groaned at 53 Times in 41 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default Front end groaning/warranty work

Took my car in today for warranty work. A few thousand miles ago my front end developed a groaning noise when turning left or right, at a slow speed, from a dead stop.

The groan vibrates the clutch pedal, gas pedal, and passenger floor board. noise is dependent on wheel speed (noise speeds up or slows down).

has anyone else developed this issue, if so, what was the result?

while I was in I tried to get them to fix the excessive toe in issue the gen2 has...no luck. But I had my drivers seat fixed from the notorious pop/squeak.

Thanks for any info.
cesaros is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 01-02-2012, 02:04 PM   #2

ScarMS3 is the leader of the worldScarMS3 is the leader of the worldScarMS3 is the leader of the worldScarMS3 is the leader of the worldScarMS3 is the leader of the worldScarMS3 is the leader of the worldScarMS3 is the leader of the worldScarMS3 is the leader of the worldScarMS3 is the leader of the worldScarMS3 is the leader of the worldScarMS3 is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,493 Times in 763 Posts
Groans: 97
Groaned at 31 Times in 25 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Wheel bearing.
ScarMS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ScarMS3 For This Useful Post:
cesaros (01-02-2012)
 Old 01-02-2012, 02:06 PM   #3

cesaros is the leader of the worldcesaros is the leader of the worldcesaros is the leader of the worldcesaros is the leader of the worldcesaros is the leader of the worldcesaros is the leader of the worldcesaros is the leader of the worldcesaros is the leader of the worldcesaros is the leader of the worldcesaros is the leader of the worldcesaros is the leader of the world
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

that was my suggestion to the tech. however 5 hours later and they're still stumped.
The Following User Says Thank You to cesaros For This Useful Post:
ScarMS3 (01-02-2012)
 Old 01-02-2012, 05:03 PM   #4
RIP: November 21, 2012

fortressofcomfort is the leader of the worldfortressofcomfort is the leader of the worldfortressofcomfort is the leader of the worldfortressofcomfort is the leader of the worldfortressofcomfort is the leader of the worldfortressofcomfort is the leader of the worldfortressofcomfort is the leader of the worldfortressofcomfort is the leader of the worldfortressofcomfort is the leader of the worldfortressofcomfort is the leader of the worldfortressofcomfort is the leader of the world
Groans: 6
Groaned at 20 Times in 12 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by ScarMS3
Wheel bearing.
+1
Mods (in order of significance): Cobb AccessPort, Autotech CDFP upgrade (thanks Captain KR for your assisstance), Cobb SF SRI Intake, Ultimate Racing cat and resonator-less test pipe, Cobb Turbo Inlet Hose, Cobb Knob, Cobb 300g shifter weight

Tune: My own (based on the v210 and v231 Cobb OTS maps but ramped way up)

Street creds:
- Fastest known K04/93 MS3/driver with only an AP, CDFP upgrade, intake, and tune | 13.37@106.83mph on stock Dunlops (2.04 sec 60' time, full curb weight, 75*F ambient temp)
- Has gone an indicated 146mph on three occasions now.

Yes I will help you tune your K04/pump gas car; I have much less experience than the major players but I also charge you $0 and can turn you around quickly. 4 satisfied customers and counting...
fortressofcomfort is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 01-03-2012, 04:12 PM   #5

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Dealership called me back and said the issue was "blah blah...friction modifier for the LSD"

I'm not sure exactly what the guy said because every other word was Uhh..Umm...

But I picked up on "friction modifier for the LSD".

It looks like the dealer slapped a bandaid on my car that will probably last long enough for my warranty to expire.

Oh, and it took TWO DAYS for them to do this.
 Old 01-03-2012, 04:14 PM   #6
pewpew

Sacrilicious is the leader of the worldSacrilicious is the leader of the worldSacrilicious is the leader of the worldSacrilicious is the leader of the worldSacrilicious is the leader of the worldSacrilicious is the leader of the worldSacrilicious is the leader of the worldSacrilicious is the leader of the worldSacrilicious is the leader of the worldSacrilicious is the leader of the worldSacrilicious is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,189 Times in 609 Posts
Groans: 8
Groaned at 9 Times in 9 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

wait...so it doesn't vibrate anymore?
Sacrilicious is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 01-03-2012, 04:21 PM   #7

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

I dont know, they wont let me pick the car up until tomorrow.

The tech could never duplicate the noise and vibration when I took in the car origionally.

I went in and had to duplicate it for them. The service counter worker said they couldn't hear the noise when they added friction modifier..

but considering they could never duplicate it in the first place, im not too sure they actually cured it, or just cant duplicate it..again.
The Following User Says Thank You to cesaros For This Useful Post:
Sacrilicious (01-04-2012)
 Old 01-03-2012, 08:27 PM   #8

bertrand_CX_7 is the leader of the worldbertrand_CX_7 is the leader of the worldbertrand_CX_7 is the leader of the worldbertrand_CX_7 is the leader of the worldbertrand_CX_7 is the leader of the worldbertrand_CX_7 is the leader of the worldbertrand_CX_7 is the leader of the worldbertrand_CX_7 is the leader of the worldbertrand_CX_7 is the leader of the worldbertrand_CX_7 is the leader of the worldbertrand_CX_7 is the leader of the world
Groans: 52
Groaned at 145 Times in 38 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Hm,I'll stay away from that dealership, for the future
2010 MazdaSpeed3 Velocity Red: Forge BPV V2, CP-e [HPFP, TMIC, Driver + passenger Mount, 75-A], CorkSport [RSB, Coilover, camber plate], SPC rear camber arm, JBR SSP stg2 + heavy knob, Cobb [ SRI, AP ], HTP 3.5" TIP, - STG2 PERM tuned by DJ, Ultimate Racing TBE (Metal core DP). Aeroforce dual guages, Hankook R-S3 on stock wheels, Sparco Evo2 race seat. ARP long wheel studs -- 17x9 ET 45+ Kosei K1 TS on 255/40/17 on Dunlop Direzza ZII.

Pending install: JB EGR block plate

Next mod:CorkSport[ Front + Rear swaybar endlinks ], OCC, brake upgrade (CorkSport or BBK), 6 point Harness.

2007 CX-7 GT AWD: CPE CAI, ETS 3" TMIC, JB EGR block plate ,Matt's OCC, AutoExec Strut tower bar, AutoExec lower arm bar, Nittos 420 tires, 12" JBL subwoofer with Bose system.
bertrand_CX_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 01-04-2012, 12:50 AM   #9

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

ya, I went 26000 miles without ever needing a dealership (still on OE tires too..with tread)

But I figured i would use my warranty for something.
 Old 01-04-2012, 07:11 AM   #10
pewpew

Sacrilicious is the leader of the worldSacrilicious is the leader of the worldSacrilicious is the leader of the worldSacrilicious is the leader of the worldSacrilicious is the leader of the worldSacrilicious is the leader of the worldSacrilicious is the leader of the worldSacrilicious is the leader of the worldSacrilicious is the leader of the worldSacrilicious is the leader of the worldSacrilicious is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,189 Times in 609 Posts
Groans: 8
Groaned at 9 Times in 9 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

hrrm...if the friction modifier actually did the trick, i'd be really worried about your trans/LSD. are you still on the stock fluid, or did you swap it out?
Sacrilicious is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 01-04-2012, 10:16 AM   #11

Instrument_Guy is the leader of the worldInstrument_Guy is the leader of the worldInstrument_Guy is the leader of the worldInstrument_Guy is the leader of the worldInstrument_Guy is the leader of the worldInstrument_Guy is the leader of the worldInstrument_Guy is the leader of the worldInstrument_Guy is the leader of the worldInstrument_Guy is the leader of the worldInstrument_Guy is the leader of the worldInstrument_Guy is the leader of the world
Groans: 1
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

FWIW, I get the groan noise when I am turning at slow speeds when the transmission is cold. Car has done it since new. Groan is a bit more noticeable with the Motorcraft transmission fluid..
Instrument_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 01-04-2012, 12:09 PM   #12
Raider is mah Homie

Easter Bunny is the leader of the worldEaster Bunny is the leader of the worldEaster Bunny is the leader of the worldEaster Bunny is the leader of the worldEaster Bunny is the leader of the worldEaster Bunny is the leader of the worldEaster Bunny is the leader of the worldEaster Bunny is the leader of the worldEaster Bunny is the leader of the worldEaster Bunny is the leader of the worldEaster Bunny is the leader of the world
Thanked 14,694 Times in 4,613 Posts
Groans: 2,978
Groaned at 94 Times in 82 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

What did they do to fix your squeaky seat?
Easter Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Easter Bunny For This Useful Post:
deadlandxtreme (01-04-2012)
 Old 01-04-2012, 01:25 PM   #13

PureDrive has a reputation beyond reputePureDrive has a reputation beyond reputePureDrive has a reputation beyond reputePureDrive has a reputation beyond reputePureDrive has a reputation beyond reputePureDrive has a reputation beyond reputePureDrive has a reputation beyond reputePureDrive has a reputation beyond reputePureDrive has a reputation beyond reputePureDrive has a reputation beyond reputePureDrive has a reputation beyond repute
Groans: 0
Groaned at 25 Times in 11 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I just started getting a groan once in a while when turing at low speed/from a dead stop. It has only happened about 5 times so far, but the car only has 3300 miles on it. I was going to check the lug nuts and wheel area for any signs of issues. I would hope it is not a wheel bearing already.
PureDrive is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 01-04-2012, 07:06 PM   #14

fortressofcomfort is the leader of the worldfortressofcomfort is the leader of the worldfortressofcomfort is the leader of the worldfortressofcomfort is the leader of the worldfortressofcomfort is the leader of the worldfortressofcomfort is the leader of the worldfortressofcomfort is the leader of the worldfortressofcomfort is the leader of the worldfortressofcomfort is the leader of the worldfortressofcomfort is the leader of the worldfortressofcomfort is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Sacrilicious
hrrm...if the friction modifier actually did the trick, i'd be really worried about your trans/LSD. are you still on the stock fluid, or did you swap it out?
Make no mistake, the LSD in this car is relatively noisy (to a car without an LSD). A bit of a moan along with a bit of stickiness to the steering wheel during the first turn of the day (or more if it is very cold outside) is normal operation of an LSD. The question for the OP is how much is normal versus how much indicates pending failure of the differential. Having this documented is very important. Friction modifiers may help. So has this differential been abused (extensive one wheel peels? Different diameter tires left versus right?) Non OE fluid or level too low? Do you tend to hear things more than other people? Just thinking out loud. Without hearing it it is hard to say if this is within tolerance or not. If it goes away when warmed up, the friction modifiers help, and you get it documented, then I wouldn't continue to worry about this 'issue'. My $.02
Mods (in order of significance): Cobb AccessPort, Autotech CDFP upgrade (thanks Captain KR for your assisstance), Cobb SF SRI Intake, Ultimate Racing cat and resonator-less test pipe, Cobb Turbo Inlet Hose, Cobb Knob, Cobb 300g shifter weight

Street creds:
- Fastest known K04/93 MS3/driver with only an AP, CDFP upgrade, intake, and tune | 13.37@106.83mph on stock Dunlops (2.04 sec 60' time, full curb weight, 75*F ambient temp)

Yes I will help you tune your K04/pump gas car; I have much less experience than the major players but I also charge you $0 and can turn you around quickly. 4 satisfied customers and counting...
 Old 01-04-2012, 08:13 PM   #15

cshunter is the leader of the worldcshunter is the leader of the worldcshunter is the leader of the worldcshunter is the leader of the worldcshunter is the leader of the worldcshunter is the leader of the worldcshunter is the leader of the worldcshunter is the leader of the worldcshunter is the leader of the worldcshunter is the leader of the worldcshunter is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,405 Times in 504 Posts
Groans: 28
Groaned at 16 Times in 9 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by PureDrive View Post
I just started getting a groan once in a while when turing at low speed/from a dead stop. It has only happened about 5 times so far, but the car only has 3300 miles on it. I was going to check the lug nuts and wheel area for any signs of issues. I would hope it is not a wheel bearing already.

I Have heard that but more of a popping noise from mine quite a bit today. It was a pretty cold day today tho, but to note my car has only about 4700 miles.
cshunter is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 01-04-2012, 08:20 PM   #16

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

picked up the car, the friction modifier did stop the groan.

however, it takes a bit more effort to shift gears, that makes me a bit nervous...like I said in an above post, it seems like they only slapped a bandaid on the issue.

I did swap trans fluid about 10k miles ago to motorcraft synthetic. but I'm not hard on my car by any means.

my groan noise was constant, it never went away with temp changes, or after driving for a while. the sound was a definite mechanical rubbing sound that vibrated the floorboard and clutch pedal. it started several thousand miles ago and only seemed like a normal characteristic of the car. it became very loud and much worse within the past few months.

the dealer said the issue was the LSD slipping when turning...Im no expert about the transmission or differential in my car, so I just nodded my head and said "ok".

and my seat pop was cured by them replacing and adjusting a bolt in the rail; seemed to do the trick
 Old 01-04-2012, 08:59 PM   #17

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by cesaros
picked up the car, the friction modifier did stop the groan.

however, it takes a bit more effort to shift gears, that makes me a bit nervous...like I said in an above post, it seems like they only slapped a bandaid on the issue.

I did swap trans fluid about 10k miles ago to motorcraft synthetic. but I'm not hard on my car by any means.

my groan noise was constant, it never went away with temp changes, or after driving for a while. the sound was a definite mechanical rubbing sound that vibrated the floorboard and clutch pedal. it started several thousand miles ago and only seemed like a normal characteristic of the car. it became very loud and much worse within the past few months.

the dealer said the issue was the LSD slipping when turning...Im no expert about the transmission or differential in my car, so I just nodded my head and said "ok".

and my seat pop was cured by them replacing and adjusting a bolt in the rail; seemed to do the trick
If it was me I'd put oem trans fluid back in without the friction modifiers.

Street creds:

Old 01-12-2012, 05:39 PM   #18

makjur is the leader of the worldmakjur is the leader of the worldmakjur is the leader of the worldmakjur is the leader of the worldmakjur is the leader of the worldmakjur is the leader of the worldmakjur is the leader of the worldmakjur is the leader of the worldmakjur is the leader of the worldmakjur is the leader of the worldmakjur is the leader of the world
Groans: 4
Groaned at 15 Times in 8 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by cshunter View Post
I Have heard that but more of a popping noise from mine quite a bit today. It was a pretty cold day today tho, but to note my car has only about 4700 miles.
Hrm, I get a popping kinda clunking noise but i'm pretty sure its from my suspension and not related to stearing/LSD.
It only happens when I go over a bump or a dip, feels like its only the drivers side, both front and back.
I have a 2010, has almost 7k miles on it now, planning to have it looked at via warranty, but I'm not sure if they will be able to replicate the problem.
Also, I have a very slight alignment problem, but I bought the car used so I'm not sure if they will want to do anything about it. There is no damage to the rims,but maybe the alignment and clunk is related, since it pulls to the drivers side...

As far as OP goes, try another dealership? 2nd opinion wouldn't hurt
makjur is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 03-11-2012, 09:36 PM   #19

NW MS3 Guy will become famous soon enough
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Hi-
I am new to this forum but am having same problem at 4,500 miles. Dealer has so far replaced the inner drive shaft bearing and one of the motor mounts. Problem abated for a BRIEF time but is now back.

Hope this helps.

NW MS3 Guy
NW MS3 Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 03-12-2012, 06:49 PM   #20

Renn has a brilliant futureRenn has a brilliant futureRenn has a brilliant futureRenn has a brilliant futureRenn has a brilliant futureRenn has a brilliant futureRenn has a brilliant futureRenn has a brilliant futureRenn has a brilliant futureRenn has a brilliant futureRenn has a brilliant future
Groans: 1
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I had a similar experience to the OP - had the groan with factory tranny fluid, but it got noticeably worse with the motorcraft fluid. I haven't noticed any shifting improvement from the motorcraft, so I'll be switching back to factory.
Renn is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 03-27-2012, 04:52 AM   #21

makjur is the leader of the worldmakjur is the leader of the worldmakjur is the leader of the worldmakjur is the leader of the worldmakjur is the leader of the worldmakjur is the leader of the worldmakjur is the leader of the worldmakjur is the leader of the worldmakjur is the leader of the worldmakjur is the leader of the worldmakjur is the leader of the world
Groans: 4
Groaned at 15 Times in 8 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

My rear clunking issue ended up being blown struts, milage not in the 10's yet... Replaced under warranty with no issues
They told me the 2010s come with shit struts and they replace them with another brand,
makjur is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 03-27-2012, 06:09 AM   #22

AegisKlein is the leader of the worldAegisKlein is the leader of the worldAegisKlein is the leader of the worldAegisKlein is the leader of the worldAegisKlein is the leader of the worldAegisKlein is the leader of the worldAegisKlein is the leader of the worldAegisKlein is the leader of the worldAegisKlein is the leader of the worldAegisKlein is the leader of the worldAegisKlein is the leader of the world
Groans: 3
Groaned at 5 Times in 4 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Instrument_Guy View Post
FWIW, I get the groan noise when I am turning at slow speeds when the transmission is cold. Car has done it since new. Groan is a bit more noticeable with the Motorcraft transmission fluid..
Same here. Just noise for me. No huge vibrations

Autotech Internals // Cobb AcessPORT (FREEKTUNEd) // CorkSport Racepipe; Springs; Camber Arms // Cp-e TMIC; SRI; TIP; RMM 75A // DDM 35W 6000K HIDs
Denso ITV22's // JBR SSP stage 2; Mud Flaps // Tenso-R Concept 9 rims // 35% Tint // OCC (Matt Damon) // Koni Yellow Sport

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
AegisKlein is offline   Reply With Quote