register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3 MZR Gen2 Forums (2010-2013)
> Gen2 MS3 General Discussion

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 05-20-2018, 08:32 PM   #1

Dubcnea has a reputation beyond reputeDubcnea has a reputation beyond reputeDubcnea has a reputation beyond reputeDubcnea has a reputation beyond reputeDubcnea has a reputation beyond reputeDubcnea has a reputation beyond reputeDubcnea has a reputation beyond reputeDubcnea has a reputation beyond reputeDubcnea has a reputation beyond reputeDubcnea has a reputation beyond reputeDubcnea has a reputation beyond repute
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default How much would you sell my car for?

Having a conundrum. I very much do NOT want to sell my car. I've had it 6 years and have enjoyed every minute. However, I am need of a bigger vehicle (kids).

If I could swing it to keep my car and get a new car I would but I don't think that's going to happen. So I took my car to CarMax to see what they would appraise it at. They didn't give two shits about aftermarket stuff on the car. So the price they gave me was the same whether it had the stock stuff or not. I'd like to withhold their assessment as not to sway. But I'll spill it in the end. all report card items they look at came thru as "OK", their 'best' rating.

so anyways, I imagine a dealer would do the same. So I'm trying to decide whether to switch back to stock stuff (aside from internals) and trade it, then sell my aftermarket stuff online. Or leave the shit on and try to sell it to someone that cares.

Car details:
2012 white speed3
47,005 miles (as of their appraisal)
tech package

aftermarket items:

CS intake/TIP
JBR oil catch can
autotech internals
CP-E stage 2 transmission mount
Magnaflow cat-back exhaust
Cobb tuner

I feel like I'm forgetting something but that's about it.

I know presentation also matters so I'll just say that it's damn clean, inside and out. Take that for what it's worth.

side note, i suppose: super sports have probably 5k left on them, based on depth and miles on them now.

anyways, open to thoughts/rants/etc. thanks
 Old 05-20-2018, 08:36 PM   #2

kTaLgsTo is the leader of the worldkTaLgsTo is the leader of the worldkTaLgsTo is the leader of the worldkTaLgsTo is the leader of the worldkTaLgsTo is the leader of the worldkTaLgsTo is the leader of the worldkTaLgsTo is the leader of the worldkTaLgsTo is the leader of the worldkTaLgsTo is the leader of the worldkTaLgsTo is the leader of the worldkTaLgsTo is the leader of the world
Groans: 8
Not Ranked  0 score     

Price on Craigslist. I'd pay 12-14k for an unmolested speed of that year with tech.

With Mods, I would pay less. But I like my cars unhooned, some like em hooned up because it saves them future mod money
The Following User Says Thank You to kTaLgsTo For This Useful Post:
Dubcnea (05-20-2018)
 Old 05-20-2018, 09:47 PM   #3

monkey1911 is an unknown quantity at this point
Not Ranked  0 score     

I will say this. 2 weeks ago, I paid $14,600 for a single owner 2010 Tech with 30k on the clock. so if you can get your car to Stock you should be able to sell it for 14-15 and then sell us the after market parts!
monkey1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 05-20-2018, 11:25 PM   #4

tdale has a spectacular aura abouttdale has a spectacular aura abouttdale has a spectacular aura about
Not Ranked  0 score     

Cars with aftermarket parts to a dealer is worth less than stock. It's more risk they feel they are taking on from abuse. Glws.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
tdale is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 05-21-2018, 07:05 PM   #5

Dubcnea has a reputation beyond reputeDubcnea has a reputation beyond reputeDubcnea has a reputation beyond reputeDubcnea has a reputation beyond reputeDubcnea has a reputation beyond reputeDubcnea has a reputation beyond reputeDubcnea has a reputation beyond reputeDubcnea has a reputation beyond reputeDubcnea has a reputation beyond reputeDubcnea has a reputation beyond reputeDubcnea has a reputation beyond repute
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

I can understand that. I have swapped parts back to stock on previous vehicles. Just tryin to gather whether or not it's worth my time to swap it all back and try to sell it vs sell the car with them installed for more money. It would have to be to a private party and someone that knows/cares what the mods are. But again, tryin to get a feel for the worth.
 Old 05-21-2018, 10:32 PM   #6

tdale has a spectacular aura abouttdale has a spectacular aura abouttdale has a spectacular aura about
Not Ranked  0 score     

It really depends on you to be honest. Can you wait? Private party can be rough at times when you are talking 5 digits. If you can wait a bit post it and see what you get. I would say start between 10k-12k if you want a fast(er) sale.

What did carmax offer you?
 Old 05-22-2018, 12:48 PM   #7

GroceryGtr is the leader of the worldGroceryGtr is the leader of the worldGroceryGtr is the leader of the worldGroceryGtr is the leader of the worldGroceryGtr is the leader of the worldGroceryGtr is the leader of the worldGroceryGtr is the leader of the worldGroceryGtr is the leader of the worldGroceryGtr is the leader of the worldGroceryGtr is the leader of the worldGroceryGtr is the leader of the world
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

carmax starts with blackbook and adds or subtracts based on demand/need and then specific condition for their 'resale standards'. Generally blackbook is less than kbb and fluctuates weekly depending on the auction data collected, hence why its usually less. If they feel they can sell it quickly and their inventory of that category of car is low you will get a bit more. If they are flooded with hot hatches then its probably worth slightly less than blackbook to them. Carmax to me is a last option if you just need cash quickly, they are like the pawnshop of the automotive world. You will always get more from a dealer if using it as a trade lever(if done correctly) and/or private party sale.

Carmax considers the sale of your vehicle and the purchase of one of theirs two completely separate transactions, which is why they dont care if you don't buy one of theirs in return. they approach is at 2 distinct profit opportunity streams for themselves. None of this take a hit on the trade but make it on the new car BS.

Silver 06 MS6 - DD stealth build - no show, all go....
'12 Abarth Challenge Car - very loud, very fast, very inconvenient to drive on the street...
GroceryGtr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GroceryGtr For This Useful Post:
Dubcnea (05-22-2018), Thor Hammer (05-22-2018)
 Old 05-22-2018, 06:46 PM   #8

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by tdale View Post
It really depends on you to be honest. Can you wait? Private party can be rough at times when you are talking 5 digits. If you can wait a bit post it and see what you get. I would say start between 10k-12k if you want a fast(er) sale.

What did carmax offer you?
they offered $11,000. as noted, mods made no diff, it didn't hurt or help the offer. So i'd lose money keeping mods on there.

i don't NEED a new car right now. but i'd rather not wait long enough to need new tires or something and have to put money into it and then sell it right away. i love/hate buying cars.

Originally Posted by GroceryGtr View Post
carmax starts with blackbook and adds or subtracts based on demand/need and then specific condition for their 'resale standards'. Generally blackbook is less than kbb and fluctuates weekly depending on the auction data collected, hence why its usually less. If they feel they can sell it quickly and their inventory of that category of car is low you will get a bit more. If they are flooded with hot hatches then its probably worth slightly less than blackbook to them. Carmax to me is a last option if you just need cash quickly, they are like the pawnshop of the automotive world. You will always get more from a dealer if using it as a trade lever(if done correctly) and/or private party sale.

Carmax considers the sale of your vehicle and the purchase of one of theirs two completely separate transactions, which is why they dont care if you don't buy one of theirs in return. they approach is at 2 distinct profit opportunity streams for themselves. None of this take a hit on the trade but make it on the new car BS.
they guy 'helping' me did make note of everything you said above (aside from last option and pawnshop lol). they do more than 30,000,000 sales a year blah blah.

a guy that i work with that buys/sells a lot of cars mentioned that he finds that the carmax offer price is a pretty decent indicator of what you may get for a trade. that's the only reason i even took it there. i didn't want to hassle with a dealer just to get a potential trade price.

Last edited by Dubcnea; 05-22-2018 at 06:46 PM. Reason: MSF Database - Automerged Doublepost
Dubcnea is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 06-13-2018, 09:01 PM   #9

justanothaguy is a jewel in the roughjustanothaguy is a jewel in the roughjustanothaguy is a jewel in the roughjustanothaguy is a jewel in the rough
Not Ranked  0 score     

CarMax will wholesale your car, they won't sell it as a vehicle to the public with aftermarket parts on it so they are much more conservative with their apprasial on a modded car since it will be going into their weekly dealer auction.

Our cars have a pretty crappy value in the wholesale market when compared to the private party/retail market. Either find someone willing to pay you for the mods or stock it out and sell it, I couldn't recommend trading it.

I didn't see it listed in your post but I'd bet they offered you around 8500-9000 on the offer maybe even 10,000 depending on your local market.

14,500 - 15,500 would probably be a decent selling price, feel free to ask more but understand most people are going to have to get a loan and that bank is going to go off the nada recommended value for that loan around 14,300 some lenders will allow for 110% -120% loan to value based off that but some will only do 100% just depends where they bank. So don't price it to high that no one can get approved on a loan for it.

RMM, SRI/Tip, hpfp, catless dp
justanothaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 06-14-2018, 12:20 AM   #10

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by justanothaguy View Post
CarMax will wholesale your car, they won't sell it as a vehicle to the public with aftermarket parts on it so they are much more conservative with their apprasial on a modded car since it will be going into their weekly dealer auction.

Our cars have a pretty crappy value in the wholesale market when compared to the private party/retail market. Either find someone willing to pay you for the mods or stock it out and sell it, I couldn't recommend trading it.

I didn't see it listed in your post but I'd bet they offered you around 8500-9000 on the offer maybe even 10,000 depending on your local market.

14,500 - 15,500 would probably be a decent selling price, feel free to ask more but understand most people are going to have to get a loan and that bank is going to go off the nada recommended value for that loan around 14,300 some lenders will allow for 110% -120% loan to value based off that but some will only do 100% just depends where they bank. So don't price it to high that no one can get approved on a loan for it.
He said they offered him 11k. He should put back to stock asap and get the easy cash and sit on the part out.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk