register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3 MZR Gen2 Forums (2010-2013)
> Gen2 MS3 General Discussion

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By azarashi

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 07-30-2014, 09:52 PM   #1

Darcean has much to be proud ofDarcean has much to be proud ofDarcean has much to be proud ofDarcean has much to be proud ofDarcean has much to be proud ofDarcean has much to be proud ofDarcean has much to be proud ofDarcean has much to be proud of
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default Just bought a used 2011 MS3

Hello!

first post..

So I just bought a 2011 Blue MS3 w/ about 69,000 miles on it. It's not the first mazda I've owned, though it will be the first turbo'd car I've ever owned. I came from 2002 Protege5, which had about 200,000 miles on it. Of which, I put 90,000 on it from the time I bought it, to about a month ago, when I got into a minor accident, and the insurance decided to total it, instead of fix it, due to a slightly bent frame near the passenger-side headlight. Oh well, RIP Prot5, you were a great car.

I was looking at either a WRX or this, and to be quite honest, I test drove both. I liked the new 2015 WRX, but the price was a little out of my range. The MS3 drove about the same, with a small bit of expected torque steer, so I ultimately decided to go with it. I am quite happy I did. I will post up pictures in a day or two.

Now onto a few questions...

What are some common problems I should look out for in my MS3? I used to push my prot5 pretty hard when I wanted to, but other than that, I used it as a highway commuter car coasting at around 70-75 most the time. I have a penchant for accelerating really fast to get up to the speed I want. So with that in mind, what should I watch out for?

I am somewhat car literate, but not in a very efficient way. I would like to tune my car to be more gas efficient, is there a guide on how to do that? And the required equipment needed?
Darcean is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 07-30-2014, 10:08 PM   #2

SneakyP86 is the leader of the worldSneakyP86 is the leader of the worldSneakyP86 is the leader of the worldSneakyP86 is the leader of the worldSneakyP86 is the leader of the worldSneakyP86 is the leader of the worldSneakyP86 is the leader of the worldSneakyP86 is the leader of the worldSneakyP86 is the leader of the worldSneakyP86 is the leader of the worldSneakyP86 is the leader of the world
Groans: 18
Groaned at 19 Times in 13 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Welcome, To do any tuning you need to get a Cobb AP. Can't help you much more than that other than to suggest that you consider getting an upgraded HPFP maybe a downpipe, catback exhaust and a new SRI or a complete turbo inlet.

I'VE BEEN PLAYING DUMB FOR SO LONG ITS NOT A GAME ANYMORE

IF IT WAS WORTH THE TIME IT TOOK YOU TO GET EVEN THAN WHY DIDNT YOU TAKE A LITTLE MORE AND GET AHEAD?
SneakyP86 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 07-30-2014, 10:33 PM   #3

SaveMelMac is the leader of the worldSaveMelMac is the leader of the worldSaveMelMac is the leader of the worldSaveMelMac is the leader of the worldSaveMelMac is the leader of the worldSaveMelMac is the leader of the worldSaveMelMac is the leader of the worldSaveMelMac is the leader of the worldSaveMelMac is the leader of the worldSaveMelMac is the leader of the worldSaveMelMac is the leader of the world
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Inbeforedidyousearchfirst
SaveMelMac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SaveMelMac For This Useful Post:
Cujo (01-13-2015), Snip (08-30-2014)
 Old 07-30-2014, 10:39 PM   #4

Darcean has much to be proud ofDarcean has much to be proud ofDarcean has much to be proud ofDarcean has much to be proud ofDarcean has much to be proud ofDarcean has much to be proud ofDarcean has much to be proud ofDarcean has much to be proud of
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by SaveMelMac View Post
Inbeforedidyousearchfirst
I did, and found the relevant posts. Though it's always nice to have some advice answered on a newer post instead of shifting though hundreds of posts.

Originally Posted by SneakyP86 View Post
Welcome, To do any tuning you need to get a Cobb AP. Can't help you much more than that other than to suggest that you consider getting an upgraded HPFP maybe a downpipe, catback exhaust and a new SRI or a complete turbo inlet.
Thank you, I will definitely look into those! IDK how much modding I will do hardware wise though, as I got an extended warranty on the car itself. I will check and see if they care or not if I mod the car in somewhat minor ways, like a new air intake, etc.
 Old 07-30-2014, 11:13 PM   #5

KennyFish is the leader of the worldKennyFish is the leader of the worldKennyFish is the leader of the worldKennyFish is the leader of the worldKennyFish is the leader of the worldKennyFish is the leader of the worldKennyFish is the leader of the worldKennyFish is the leader of the worldKennyFish is the leader of the worldKennyFish is the leader of the worldKennyFish is the leader of the world
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

Donate!! you will be given a wealth of knowledge this group has to offer!!!
KennyFish is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 07-30-2014, 11:18 PM   #6

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by KennyFish View Post
Donate!! you will be given a wealth of knowledge this group has to offer!!!
Already did.. $25 isn't that much to part with. Haha
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Darcean For This Useful Post:
BlackFlag (01-05-2015), DansSpace (01-11-2015), HawkeyeGeoff (02-13-2015), KennyFish (07-30-2014), Pointless (07-30-2014), SneakyP86 (07-31-2014)
 Old 07-30-2014, 11:21 PM   #7

KennyFish is the leader of the worldKennyFish is the leader of the worldKennyFish is the leader of the worldKennyFish is the leader of the worldKennyFish is the leader of the worldKennyFish is the leader of the worldKennyFish is the leader of the worldKennyFish is the leader of the worldKennyFish is the leader of the worldKennyFish is the leader of the worldKennyFish is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

NICE!!! it's not if most people would have that train of thought it would be save a lot of hassle!!
KennyFish is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 07-30-2014, 11:30 PM   #8

Worbit is the leader of the worldWorbit is the leader of the worldWorbit is the leader of the worldWorbit is the leader of the worldWorbit is the leader of the worldWorbit is the leader of the worldWorbit is the leader of the worldWorbit is the leader of the worldWorbit is the leader of the worldWorbit is the leader of the worldWorbit is the leader of the world
Thanked 4,119 Times in 1,101 Posts
Groans: 142
Groaned at 58 Times in 37 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I really want the CBM MS3 Thats the hardest color to come by

Zoom-Zoom-Coons on 05/10/16
2011 Mazdaspeed3 Celestial Blue Mica
BUILT BY CORKSPORT
CP-e Catted Downpipe || CP-e HPFP || Corksport Turbo || Corksport 3-bar Map Sensor || Corksport EBCS|| Corksport SRI || Corksport TIP || Corksport CBE || Corksport Boost Cut Killer || Corksport FMIC || Corksport SSP || Corksport MM Inserts || Corksport Blue Shift Knob || Corksport Injector Seals || DM Full EGR Delete Kit || Corksport License Plate Relocation Kit || Snyapse Engineering Synchronic BOV || Cobb V3 Accessport (PD Tune in progress)
Worbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Worbit For This Useful Post:
KennyFish (07-30-2014)
 Old 07-30-2014, 11:53 PM   #9

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Worbit View Post
Yeah, it's the one color I was looking for. I am personally a big fan of lighter blues on cars.
 Old 07-30-2014, 11:55 PM   #10

azarashi is the leader of the worldazarashi is the leader of the worldazarashi is the leader of the worldazarashi is the leader of the worldazarashi is the leader of the worldazarashi is the leader of the worldazarashi is the leader of the worldazarashi is the leader of the worldazarashi is the leader of the worldazarashi is the leader of the worldazarashi is the leader of the world
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Some basic turbo tips for yah since its your first turbo! This was/is my first turbo car as well;

- Let the car get warmed up before you start going hard on the boost.

- As well let the car cool off by idling for a little after you been driving pretty hard before you shut it off. No turbo timer with these cars so just let it idle for a good 30+ seconds before you shut down.

- Keep a good eye on your oil levels. Turbo is oil cooled as well the our engines like to explode when they lack oil.

- Boosted Air Temps (BATs) since we got the luxury of a Top Mounted Intercooler we get the added bonus of high BATs because all that lovely heat has no where to go nor does it cool easily. So on a hot day don't be suprised if it doesnt seem to boost as well as cooler ones and a good idea to watch your BATs once you get an AP to keep an eye on them so you dont go crazy beating on it while its too hot.

Most people obviously get a Front Mounted Intercooler but the Top Mount works just gotta deal with all that heat soak. And it gets in the way when you wana do shit too.

- Boost kicks in at 3k RPM if you didnt know and DO NOT....DOOOO NOOOOOT....go Wide Open Throttle in 6th gear. A little bit of boost aove 3-4k in 6th is fine while on the freeway but don't fucking go zoom zooming in 6th or you can run the risk of putting too much strain on the engine. Drop the shit to 5th like a man and let it fly.

- And you got a GenPu so get HPFP internals before you go slapping mods on, stock ecu is retarded and likes to kill itself much easier then the Gen 1's. I honestly don't actually know if you get an AP and run a tune if it fixes that issue, I havent looked that up cause I dont drive the smiley.

Have fun and boost safe.
MS3XY likes this.

2008 Mazdaspeed 3 GT - Cobb SRI, HKS BOV, Cobb AP V2, Sure RMM, EBC Front Rotors, Hawk HPS, ROCA PMM, Yokohama YK580, SenSen Rear shocks

Planned: Cobb TIP, Autotech HPFP, MattD RMM, Koni Street Shocks/struts
azarashi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to azarashi For This Useful Post:
bigspender (01-06-2015), CWP_MS3 (07-31-2014), Darcean (07-31-2014), ekklesia_ms3 (07-31-2014), htrdce69 (01-11-2015), kaicpf (07-31-2014), KennyFish (07-30-2014)
 Old 07-30-2014, 11:58 PM   #11

Josegarcia020 has a brilliant futureJosegarcia020 has a brilliant futureJosegarcia020 has a brilliant futureJosegarcia020 has a brilliant futureJosegarcia020 has a brilliant futureJosegarcia020 has a brilliant futureJosegarcia020 has a brilliant futureJosegarcia020 has a brilliant futureJosegarcia020 has a brilliant futureJosegarcia020 has a brilliant futureJosegarcia020 has a brilliant future
Not Ranked  0 score     

Welcome! Im in fontana during the weekends if you ever have any questions!
Josegarcia020 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Josegarcia020 For This Useful Post:
SpencerC (07-31-2014)
 Old 07-31-2014, 06:52 AM   #12

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Josegarcia020 View Post
Welcome! Im in fontana during the weekends if you ever have any questions!
Awesome! I might have some in the future!

I really want to take my car out to the speedway every once in awhile. I am about 2 miles north of it haha.

Originally Posted by azarashi View Post
Some basic turbo tips for yah since its your first turbo! This was/is my first turbo car as well;

- Let the car get warmed up before you start going hard on the boost.

- As well let the car cool off by idling for a little after you been driving pretty hard before you shut it off. No turbo timer with these cars so just let it idle for a good 30+ seconds before you shut down.

- Keep a good eye on your oil levels. Turbo is oil cooled as well the our engines like to explode when they lack oil.

- Boosted Air Temps (BATs) since we got the luxury of a Top Mounted Intercooler we get the added bonus of high BATs because all that lovely heat has no where to go nor does it cool easily. So on a hot day don't be suprised if it doesnt seem to boost as well as cooler ones and a good idea to watch your BATs once you get an AP to keep an eye on them so you dont go crazy beating on it while its too hot.

Most people obviously get a Front Mounted Intercooler but the Top Mount works just gotta deal with all that heat soak. And it gets in the way when you wana do shit too.

- Boost kicks in at 3k RPM if you didnt know and DO NOT....DOOOO NOOOOOT....go Wide Open Throttle in 6th gear. A little bit of boost aove 3-4k in 6th is fine while on the freeway but don't fucking go zoom zooming in 6th or you can run the risk of putting too much strain on the engine. Drop the shit to 5th like a man and let it fly.

- And you got a GenPu so get HPFP internals before you go slapping mods on, stock ecu is retarded and likes to kill itself much easier then the Gen 1's. I honestly don't actually know if you get an AP and run a tune if it fixes that issue, I havent looked that up cause I dont drive the smiley.

Have fun and boost safe.
That's really good to know, thank you!

Last edited by Darcean; 07-31-2014 at 06:52 AM. Reason: MSF Database - Automerged Doublepost
 Old 07-31-2014, 10:46 AM   #13

Josegarcia020 has a brilliant futureJosegarcia020 has a brilliant futureJosegarcia020 has a brilliant futureJosegarcia020 has a brilliant futureJosegarcia020 has a brilliant futureJosegarcia020 has a brilliant futureJosegarcia020 has a brilliant futureJosegarcia020 has a brilliant futureJosegarcia020 has a brilliant futureJosegarcia020 has a brilliant futureJosegarcia020 has a brilliant future
Not Ranked  0 score     

Yea forsure! Get use to the car a bit then we can hit up the track
Josegarcia020 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 08-29-2014, 12:44 PM   #14

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

So, a small update!

The car has been running great for a month so far! I can't wait to take it to a track.. Hell driving this car has made me want to learn how to drive with more finesse. I consider myself a pretty decent driver, but I feel there's always room to learn more. Haha.
 Old 08-30-2014, 09:57 AM   #15

LED_Vera is a splendid one to beholdLED_Vera is a splendid one to beholdLED_Vera is a splendid one to beholdLED_Vera is a splendid one to beholdLED_Vera is a splendid one to beholdLED_Vera is a splendid one to beholdLED_Vera is a splendid one to beholdLED_Vera is a splendid one to behold
Groans: 1
Not Ranked  0 score     

Josegarcia020 do you go to the track often? I went to a few autocross events at the Fontana speedway, had a blast, and realized my tires are not sticky enough!

Im doing a few upgrades here in the next month, just letting my parts stack up in the garage until i have some time...

LED_Vera is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 08-30-2014, 10:55 AM   #16

eliwwjd has a reputation beyond reputeeliwwjd has a reputation beyond reputeeliwwjd has a reputation beyond reputeeliwwjd has a reputation beyond reputeeliwwjd has a reputation beyond reputeeliwwjd has a reputation beyond reputeeliwwjd has a reputation beyond reputeeliwwjd has a reputation beyond reputeeliwwjd has a reputation beyond reputeeliwwjd has a reputation beyond reputeeliwwjd has a reputation beyond repute
Groans: 3
Groaned at 61 Times in 34 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Welcome to the forum. I also was thinking on an sti but price was insane $52K so I decided to go with the ms3 for 31K. Follow instructions from the people who know and enjoy the car. It is a great car and very reliable.
Forge BPV V2//COBB AP V3// COBB DP //ETS TMIC//AUTOTECH HPFP//JBR SRI//JBR TIP//JBR COOLANT BYPASS KIT//JBR DISI HOSES//JBR BYPASS HOSE//JBR THROTTLE BODY THERMAL GASKETS//JBR SHIFTER BUSHINGS// //RACING BEAT CBE//DAMOND MOTORSPORTS OCC//CS RMM//CS LED KIT//CS LED FOGS//CBI OSRAM HID BULBS//CONTI EXTREME CONTACT 225/40 R18//RACESENG SHIFT KNOB//FREEKTUNED ON 93 PUMP GAS

eliwwjd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to eliwwjd For This Useful Post:
Darcean (09-10-2014)
 Old 01-04-2015, 06:35 PM   #17

Worbit is the leader of the worldWorbit is the leader of the worldWorbit is the leader of the worldWorbit is the leader of the worldWorbit is the leader of the worldWorbit is the leader of the worldWorbit is the leader of the worldWorbit is the leader of the worldWorbit is the leader of the worldWorbit is the leader of the worldWorbit is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Ha, 6 months later and I have this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BUILT BY CORKSPORT
CP-e Catted Downpipe || CP-e HPFP || Corksport Turbo || Corksport 3-bar Map Sensor || Corksport EBCS|| Corksport SRI || Corksport TIP || Corksport CBE || Corksport Boost Cut Killer || Corksport FMIC || Corksport SSP || Corksport MM Inserts || Corksport Blue Shift Knob || Corksport Injector Seals || DM Full EGR Delete Kit || Corksport License Plate Relocation Kit || Snyapse Engineering Synchronic BOV || Cobb V3 Accessport (PD Tune in progress)
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Worbit For This Useful Post:
f15ms6 (01-10-2015), makjur (01-08-2015), MD1032 (01-06-2015), nomorecivic! (01-13-2015), SpencerC (01-16-2015)
 Old 01-10-2015, 11:17 PM   #18
ILL3ST

xcoldricex is the leader of the worldxcoldricex is the leader of the worldxcoldricex is the leader of the worldxcoldricex is the leader of the worldxcoldricex is the leader of the worldxcoldricex is the leader of the worldxcoldricex is the leader of the worldxcoldricex is the leader of the worldxcoldricex is the leader of the worldxcoldricex is the leader of the worldxcoldricex is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,291 Times in 592 Posts
Groans: 105
Groaned at 30 Times in 22 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I WA,
xcoldricex is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 01-14-2015, 04:11 AM   #19

Not Ranked  0 score     

Is @Darcean still floating around the forums?

BUILT BY CORKSPORT
 Old 01-16-2015, 12:17 PM   #20

El Beaner is the leader of the worldEl Beaner is the leader of the worldEl Beaner is the leader of the worldEl Beaner is the leader of the worldEl Beaner is the leader of the worldEl Beaner is the leader of the worldEl Beaner is the leader of the worldEl Beaner is the leader of the worldEl Beaner is the leader of the worldEl Beaner is the leader of the worldEl Beaner is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,876 Times in 1,072 Posts
Groans: 10
Groaned at 16 Times in 16 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Is @Darcean still floating around the forums?
Last Activity: 01-06-2015 04:09 PM

SOLD 2012 LSM Tech - 11/17/17
El Beaner is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 01-16-2015, 04:27 PM   #21

MileHigh303 is the leader of the worldMileHigh303 is the leader of the worldMileHigh303 is the leader of the worldMileHigh303 is the leader of the worldMileHigh303 is the leader of the worldMileHigh303 is the leader of the worldMileHigh303 is the leader of the worldMileHigh303 is the leader of the worldMileHigh303 is the leader of the worldMileHigh303 is the leader of the worldMileHigh303 is the leader of the world
Groans: 2
Not Ranked  0 score     

WHALECUM TO MSF SIR
| BNR S3 | HTP 3.5" Intake | COBB RMM | AutoTech HPFP | CP-E TMIC | ATP Catless DP | Forge V1 BPV | CP-E Triton CBE | CP-E EGR Delete Kit | Bosch 3 Bar | Geoff Holbein Homemade EBC | Stratified Guardian Angel |
MileHigh303 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 01-22-2015, 06:01 AM   #22

Dat8687 has a reputation beyond reputeDat8687 has a reputation beyond reputeDat8687 has a reputation beyond reputeDat8687 has a reputation beyond reputeDat8687 has a reputation beyond reputeDat8687 has a reputation beyond reputeDat8687 has a reputation beyond reputeDat8687 has a reputation beyond reputeDat8687 has a reputation beyond reputeDat8687 has a reputation beyond reputeDat8687 has a reputation beyond repute
Groaned at 60 Times in 22 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Do not punch your car in a high gear at low rpm even stock.

Other than that have fun
Dat8687 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 02-13-2015, 11:04 AM   #23

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Haha just saw this.. Yeah I am still floating around here, @Worbit

Just lurking every so often. I've been stupid busy lately.