register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3 MZR Gen2 Forums (2010-2013)
> Gen2 MS3 General Discussion

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Revolv0
  • 2 Post By Vansquish

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 08-24-2019, 06:37 AM   #1

Revolv0 has much to be proud ofRevolv0 has much to be proud ofRevolv0 has much to be proud ofRevolv0 has much to be proud ofRevolv0 has much to be proud ofRevolv0 has much to be proud ofRevolv0 has much to be proud ofRevolv0 has much to be proud of
Groans: 1
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default Long term ownership review and thoughts

Hello All,

Purchased my Black Mica 2012 pu with 33k miles on it. Non Mazda Dealer mechanic said it looked like it had a new block on it (zoom zoom boomed?) and Mazda said it had a branded transmission due to mods, meaning bye bye trans warranty. I was in a scramble for a car and did little research, as I had few 6MT options in my area.

Car had a mazdaspeed intake, rims, bc coil overs, fancy unknown slotted rotors, and a UR catback, corksport rear sway bar.

I installed a hpfp, cxracing fmic, only for the turbo to fail at around 50k miles. Reinstalled the TMIC, and Mazda covered the turbo replacement under warranty.

Reinstalled everything, installed a catless long pipe, rear engine mount,and had a freektune done by Justin. What a beast it became after that.

Aside from regular fluid chances with mobile one, I had purchased continental... DWS’s which were great for my 50 minute commute one way. I loved the cars suspension setup, power, and death metal catless exhaust. It was the perfect PA backroads car. Added a corksport mid chassis brace for good measure.

Purchased a meth controller, and throttle body spacer with the intention of getting a meth tune done, but they never made it on the car.

Early 2016 I swapped out the interior for a tan catzkin leather setup, which I love. Not a fan of the black and red they chose on the interior. Made the interior a bit classier, on a loud obnoxious ricer that backfired

In July 2016 my twins were born, and we moved, which changed my glorious backroad commute to highway... construction zone highway. The BC coil overs were abusive to say the least, and the exhaust drone was both load and intolerable. I switched over to a UR high flow cat system and resonator secondary, which helped a ton. Swapped out the bc coil overs for stock springs and Koni FSD’s. Wow what a difference in quality of life! Great commuter suspension setup.

At around 80k I changed the trans fluid to the Ford full synthetic, and it definitely made a difference in shifting. Threw on hankook V12’s for warmer weather, and I would definitely recommend them.

Swapped out the brakes to a stop tech sport kit with SS lines, rotors and pads at 100k, and changed my plugs every year based on Justin’s advice (2 degrees cooler).

I just rolled over 110k this week, and my twins turned 3 last month. It sucks to drive around with them because I have to change my seating position. The paint used on the car is terrible, and I have alot of road rash on the front and and rust spots on the hood, which I will address.

I drive the car hard yet reasonable, and still get 27.5 mpg on average. My kids love the car and get excited when I do a second gear pull to merge on the highway, initiated by a 3,2,1 countdown. The wife hates the car, because every cold start in my garage, it shakes half the house. Our bedroom is above the garage ��.

My dad, friends, clients, coworkers, have driven the car. They are all blown away by the performance of the car. The best compliment I had was from a client who drags mustangs. He giggled like a little girl as we ripped through a background at near triple digits, only to have to slam on the brakes to avoid an abrupt car pulling out. He wanted one when he returned to his home In Florida.

Give the car good fluids regularly, hpfp, get it tuned, keep up with the maintenance, give it good tires. This car has never left me stranded, ever. It’s given me so much joy for a performance econobox.

Thanks to the community for all the knowledge.
Krystorr likes this.
Revolv0 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Revolv0 For This Useful Post:
Db09ms3 (09-04-2019), Krystorr (09-03-2019), whatsabrooklyn (09-10-2019)
 Old 09-03-2019, 07:38 PM   #2

Krystorr is a name known to allKrystorr is a name known to allKrystorr is a name known to allKrystorr is a name known to allKrystorr is a name known to allKrystorr is a name known to all
Groans: 0
Groaned at 3 Times in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

Got my black 2012 speed on Halloween 2011 with 50 miles on it. I beat the shit out of it for the next 86,879 miles and still purrs every morning.

Blew the K04 at around 80k. It was my fault. I slowed down in the fast lane to let a lawn maintenance crew know that their trailer breaks were on and about to burst into flames. Some dickhead in Heeyunday behind me decided to fly up my ass and lay on his horn. I can still see him losing his mind at me in the rear view as we were still doing 10 over. I got the crew's attention, they pulled off and I hammered the gas without down shifting blowing thick, black smoke all over the hyundick and never saw him again. WOT in 6th at 65 mph was just too much for the turbo after years of fun.

Swapped to the CST 4 in Dec 2018 along with a ton of mods within the year
Including:
HPFP
COBB turbo-back
Fatter TMIC
OCC
TMM insert
RMM
JBR Short Shifter/shifter bushings
COBB 3" Intake and TIP
TRU Performance 4 point cross bar
JBR RSB
CS front and rear tower bars
CS adjustable shocks and struts
Stop Tech Sport drilled and slotted rotors/pads
Some other odds and ends
A, yes, shameful, OTS Stage 3 Map from the Access Port/21-25 lbs boost
Strict maintenance schedule, oiling things that need oiled, greasing things that will let me fluiding things requiring such things
...and she's still going strong.

She did leave me stranded once when I falsely remembered that I had gotten gas after my warning light came on. I hadn't but! I broke my personal best of 51 miles passed the light in my 1980-something Ford Taurus set in 2002 with 66 miles in the speed set in 2015. So, silver lining.
 Old 09-10-2019, 12:23 PM   #3

smurugby12 is the leader of the worldsmurugby12 is the leader of the worldsmurugby12 is the leader of the worldsmurugby12 is the leader of the worldsmurugby12 is the leader of the worldsmurugby12 is the leader of the worldsmurugby12 is the leader of the worldsmurugby12 is the leader of the worldsmurugby12 is the leader of the worldsmurugby12 is the leader of the worldsmurugby12 is the leader of the world
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Neutral  +1 score     

I miss my speed. I sold it with 143k miles in Oct. 2018. No issues, original clutch. Powertrain was stock, never boosted below 3k RPM, changed fluids etc etc and it never missed a beat. I bought the car new and brought it to a HPDE the first 5k miles and have been hooked ever since. I sold it when I was gifted a Silverado (w/ 210k miles on it, previous smoker owner, rust) and since I bought a house, I sold my Speed3 and kept the truck which has been really useful and pretty reliable, but kills my soul driving a pickup.

I picked up a mint '91 Miata this April to fill the itch which has been fun. But I still miss my Speed3. I just tried to locate it again on the off chance the new owner is selling, which led me back here to reminisce Enjoy the car!

Last edited by smurugby12; 09-10-2019 at 12:35 PM.
smurugby12 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 09-10-2019, 12:30 PM   #4

Revolv0 has much to be proud ofRevolv0 has much to be proud ofRevolv0 has much to be proud ofRevolv0 has much to be proud ofRevolv0 has much to be proud ofRevolv0 has much to be proud ofRevolv0 has much to be proud ofRevolv0 has much to be proud of
Groans: 1
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Neutral  +1 score     

Originally Posted by smurugby12 View Post
I miss my speed. I sold it with 143k miles in Oct. 2018. No issues, original clutch. Powertrain was stock, never boosted below 3k RPM, changed fluids etc etc and it never missed a beat. Brought it to a HPDE the first 5k miles and have been hooked ever since. I was gifted a Silverado (210k miles on it), some rust, and since I bought a house, I sold my Speed3 and kept the truck which has been really useful, but kills my soul driving.

I picked up a mint '91 Miata this April to fill the itch which has been fun. But I still miss my Speed3. I just tried to locate it again on the off chance the new owner is selling, which led me back here to reminisce Enjoy the car!
Yeah, I purchased an 07 S6 dirt cheap. I’m learning the hard way their is no such thing as a cheap German car... you should buy my speed... just sayin.
Revolv0 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 09-10-2019, 12:58 PM   #5
Police - Grammarhead

Vansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the world
Thanked 6,967 Times in 2,773 Posts
Groans: 1,898
Groaned at 45 Times in 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Krystorr View Post
Swapped to the CST 4 in Dec 2018 along with a ton of mods within the year
Including:

HPFP
COBB turbo-back . . .
COBB 3" Intake and TIP . . .
A, yes, shameful, OTS Stage 3 Map from the Access Port/21-25 lbs boost
I did read that incorrectly, didn't I?

You cannot safely run a larger-than-stock aftermarket turbo like the CST4/BNRS3 without a custom tune. COBB OTS maps are categorically incapable of handling larger turbos. Without a customized map that accounts for your aftermarket turbo, your motor is a ticking time bomb. You're overboosting by between about 14% and 56% over what the OTS map can properly handle. It's not "shameful" that you're using an OTS map, it's scary that you think it's OK to do so, and incredibly stupid.

Seriously, spend a couple hundred bucks and get yourself a proper tune instead of the thousands you'll spend getting a new engine.

Edit:

Here, direct from Cobb, are the map notes for both Stage 3 OTS maps for the 2012 MS3.
Stage3:

Stage3 91 OCT or 95 RON

Intake Requirements:
COBB SF Intake required
COBB Turbo Inlet Hose (TIH) required
Intercooler Requirements:
COBB Intercooler required
Fuel Requirements: 91/92 OCT or 95 RON fuel
Cam Driven Fuel Pump:
Autotech High Volume Fuel Pump (CDFP) required
Exhaust Requirements:
COBB Catback exhaust required
COBB High Flow Downpipe required
Boost Targets: 18.5psi peak tapering down to 17.5psi by redline +/- 1.5psi
All other intake, exhaust, engine related components: Stock

Stage3 93 OCT or 98 RON

Intake Requirements:
COBB SF Intake required
Fuel Requirements: 93/94 OCT or 98 RON fuel
Cam Driven Fuel Pump:
Exhaust Requirements:
danb and Krystorr like this.

Last edited by Vansquish; 09-10-2019 at 01:08 PM.
Vansquish is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vansquish For This Useful Post:
Krystorr (09-13-2019)
 Old 09-13-2019, 09:17 PM   #6

Krystorr is a name known to allKrystorr is a name known to allKrystorr is a name known to allKrystorr is a name known to allKrystorr is a name known to allKrystorr is a name known to all
Groaned at 3 Times in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Vansquish View Post
I did read that incorrectly, didn't I?

You cannot safely run a larger-than-stock aftermarket turbo like the CST4/BNRS3 without a custom tune. COBB OTS maps are categorically incapable of handling larger turbos. Without a customized map that accounts for your aftermarket turbo, your motor is a ticking time bomb. You're overboosting by between about 14% and 56% over what the OTS map can properly handle. It's not "shameful" that you're using an OTS map, it's scary that you think it's OK to do so, and incredibly stupid.

Seriously, spend a couple hundred bucks and get yourself a proper tune instead of the thousands you'll spend getting a new engine.

Edit:

Here, direct from Cobb, are the map notes for both Stage 3 OTS maps for the 2012 MS3.
Stage3:

Stage3 91 OCT or 95 RON

Intake Requirements:
COBB SF Intake required
Fuel Requirements: 91/92 OCT or 95 RON fuel
Cam Driven Fuel Pump:
Exhaust Requirements:

Stage3 93 OCT or 98 RON

Intake Requirements:
COBB SF Intake required
Fuel Requirements: 93/94 OCT or 98 RON fuel
Cam Driven Fuel Pump:
Exhaust Requirements:
I'm retarded. It's why I'm glad this place exists. I have no problem spending the money for a proper tune. I spent 7 or 8k in mods the last 2 years and don't want it to be all for nothing especially since I didn't have a shop do any of the work. It took me 2 weeks just to do the exhaust system seeing as how the DP seemed to be welded on there by Etri with the heat of a fucking dying star.

So, we're leaning more towards stupid than scary. Or both. In my defense, I know shit isn't safe so for nearly a year, I haven't beat on it hard at all, 4k to 5k RPMs when I'm getting frustrated in traffic. I haven't found the time to strictly follow the requirements of logging for e-tunes...12 hour work days, new dad...apparent crippling crack addiction

I'm in Maryland. My experience the last 2 years I've been stationed here has shown me that trusting anyone in this area with my Speed would be dumber still than running an upgraded turbo without the correct tune. Which is why I'm the granny out there with thousands in mods.

Honestly, thanks for the spank man, I know I'm fucking up.