register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3 MZR Gen2 Forums (2010-2013)
> Gen2 MS3 General Discussion

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!
Like Tree7Likes

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 05-02-2012, 08:42 PM   #1

woodfloor is the leader of the worldwoodfloor is the leader of the worldwoodfloor is the leader of the worldwoodfloor is the leader of the worldwoodfloor is the leader of the worldwoodfloor is the leader of the worldwoodfloor is the leader of the worldwoodfloor is the leader of the worldwoodfloor is the leader of the worldwoodfloor is the leader of the worldwoodfloor is the leader of the world
Groans: 34
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Red face Looking to buy a new MS3, few questions first

Not meaning to shit up your forums or anything, and I did run a few preliminary searches and read the stickies before I posted this and came up with a few answers but I figured I would give it a shot and ask. You guys seem like an ok bunch so I hope it is fine...

A tiny bit of info about me first. I'm in my early 20's and finally have a pretty decent job. This is really my first time buying a new car. A few months back I set out to buy a used WRX, when I couldn't find a good deal I got kind of suckered into buying a '06 350z (mostly my fault though) that wasn't as reliable as I hoped for. I'm being extra cautious and wanting to do all my research before I buy. Now I've sold the 350 and I test drove a MS3 again and fell in love. It's a grocery getter that's fun to drive. And the insurance is cheap as shit compared to the 350 or a WRX. I'm sold.

#1. I'm looking to buy a new '12 MS3. I'm trying to get a rough estimate of what a good deal is. I've been to two dealers and got wildly different quotes. I'm mainly looking for a car with the tech package (that wireless keyfob thing is pretty sweet, I know it's gimmicky but I want it) and I'm in Ohio. One dealer quoted me 26.7k with taxes and title and everything. The other 28.9k with everything. What do you guys think? There are three big mazda dealers in my area and each have a few (3-5) MS3's on the lot. The one I test drove about 8 months back before I bought my Z is still on the dealer's lot. It leads me to believe they aren't really selling well and I should be able to get one for a steal.

I've been to each dealer twice but I'm having a really hard time getting them to make me an offer on paper. Each says they will match the other but won't make me a real offer on paper, they want me to come in and "talk" which inevitably turns into a high pressure sales pitch trying to get me to buy that day and I end up walking away. They know I'm a young male and think I'm going to make a stupid impulse buy on a sports car. They make me want to beat my head into a wall.

#2. Anything you guys would want to pass on to someone buying a new MS3? Anything to look for? Any tricks you used with the dealer? Any tips for when I actually get it? What do you like most about your MS3? What do you wish you knew about the car before you bought it? Anything you would have done differently? This will be my first turbo'd car so anything I should know about driving a turbo'd car? I'm not going to lie, I drove the 350z like I stole it most of the time and I'm not going to do that with this car nor do I want to inadvertently do something stupid to it.

Again, I'm sorry if it seems like I'm just some newb wandering onto your forums asking stupid questions, but I'm just trying to get my ducks in a row before I go getting myself into a car payment again.

TL;DR: Young male buying first new car, want to do it the right way. Any advice?
woodfloor is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 05-02-2012, 08:48 PM   #2

ozzymps has a spectacular aura aboutozzymps has a spectacular aura aboutozzymps has a spectacular aura about
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

amazing car! fun to drive and easy to mod!
ozzymps is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ozzymps For This Useful Post:
mazdapunk87 (09-02-2012), woodfloor (05-03-2012)
 Old 05-02-2012, 08:50 PM   #3

oakley990099 is the leader of the worldoakley990099 is the leader of the worldoakley990099 is the leader of the worldoakley990099 is the leader of the worldoakley990099 is the leader of the worldoakley990099 is the leader of the worldoakley990099 is the leader of the worldoakley990099 is the leader of the worldoakley990099 is the leader of the worldoakley990099 is the leader of the worldoakley990099 is the leader of the world
Groans: 18
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/foru...needed-100577/

if you want to save some cash i say dump the tech package. imo it isn't THAT worth it. as long as the engine platform is the same id be happy
Mazdalover01 likes this.
 Old 05-02-2012, 08:50 PM   #4

radioflyer is the leader of the worldradioflyer is the leader of the worldradioflyer is the leader of the worldradioflyer is the leader of the worldradioflyer is the leader of the worldradioflyer is the leader of the worldradioflyer is the leader of the worldradioflyer is the leader of the worldradioflyer is the leader of the worldradioflyer is the leader of the worldradioflyer is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,105 Times in 384 Posts
Groans: 28
Groaned at 22 Times in 12 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Bruce Bueno de Mesquita: How How to Buy a Car, Using Game Theory - YouTube
-
-2015 BMW m235i - Painfully stock and incredibly comfortable.
radioflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to radioflyer For This Useful Post:
tddvrrn (05-03-2012), woodfloor (05-02-2012)
 Old 05-02-2012, 08:57 PM   #5

woodfloor is the leader of the worldwoodfloor is the leader of the worldwoodfloor is the leader of the worldwoodfloor is the leader of the worldwoodfloor is the leader of the worldwoodfloor is the leader of the worldwoodfloor is the leader of the worldwoodfloor is the leader of the worldwoodfloor is the leader of the worldwoodfloor is the leader of the worldwoodfloor is the leader of the world
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by ozzymps View Post
amazing car! fun to drive and easy to mod!
The modifications part really surprised me. When I had my 350z an intake added maybe 5hp and an exhaust like 10hp and then you pretty much run out of options unless you want to add a turbo or sc'er. This car has tons of mods that seem to be pretty cheap and worthwhile. I honestly didn't know an intake could add 15-20hp and a tune and such even more. But I digress, I'm not wanting to jump into mods right away until I really feel comfortable in the car and have read A LOT more.

Originally Posted by oakley990099 View Post
http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/foru...needed-100577/

if you want to save some cash i say dump the tech package. imo it isn't THAT worth it. as long as the engine platform is the same id be happy
I was thinking about that. One of the dealers close to me has a MS3 in white, which is my favorite color for the MS3, but it didn't have tech package so I kinda of crossed it off my list. All the other MS3's around me are silver, red or black with tech.

And thanks a lot for that link. I'm reading diligently

Last edited by woodfloor; 05-02-2012 at 08:58 PM. Reason: MSF Database - Automerged Doublepost
 Old 05-02-2012, 08:57 PM   #6

Mortose is the leader of the worldMortose is the leader of the worldMortose is the leader of the worldMortose is the leader of the worldMortose is the leader of the worldMortose is the leader of the worldMortose is the leader of the worldMortose is the leader of the worldMortose is the leader of the worldMortose is the leader of the worldMortose is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,789 Times in 1,105 Posts
Groans: 39
Groaned at 13 Times in 13 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

MS3 = BEAT THE FUCK OUT OF IT!!! it will be fine!!! mine actually seems to run better when i beat on it some.

as far as price, i have seen guys saying ~$24k OTD a couple of times, so try and talk them down.

And don't say your not going to mod it, because you will.
TRex - "i dont care if it is a soccer mom in a mini van, if that whore launches on me im going at it like im racing a supra....just so i can bask in the sweet sweet tears of their defeat"
Mortose is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mortose For This Useful Post:
Eighty8 (05-03-2012), ilyams3 (05-02-2012), Juyoung (09-02-2012), woodfloor (05-02-2012)
 Old 05-02-2012, 08:58 PM   #7

oakley990099 is the leader of the worldoakley990099 is the leader of the worldoakley990099 is the leader of the worldoakley990099 is the leader of the worldoakley990099 is the leader of the worldoakley990099 is the leader of the worldoakley990099 is the leader of the worldoakley990099 is the leader of the worldoakley990099 is the leader of the worldoakley990099 is the leader of the worldoakley990099 is the leader of the world
Groans: 18
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by woodfloor View Post
The modifications part really surprised me. When I had my 350z an intake added maybe 5hp and an exhaust like 10hp and then you pretty much run out of options unless you want to add a turbo or sc'er. This car has tons of mods that seem to be pretty cheap and worthwhile. I honestly didn't know an intake could add 15-20hp and a tune and such even more. But I digress, I'm not wanting to jump into mods right away until I really feel comfortable in the car and have read A LOT more.
yes do research before you mod..
specially in this thread: http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/foru...st-read-99499/ it will tell you good info on things you must have like high pressure fuel pumps etc..
 Old 05-02-2012, 09:12 PM   #8

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

This is brilliant. I thought about using an approach like that but I didn't really have the balls to do it and my dad didn't think it would work. But tomorrow I'm going to do that. I will call all my local dealers and do that.

Originally Posted by Mortose View Post
MS3 = BEAT THE FUCK OUT OF IT!!! it will be fine!!! mine actually seems to run better when i beat on it some.

as far as price, i have seen guys saying ~$24k OTD a couple of times, so try and talk them down.

And don't say your not going to mod it, because you will.
I will mod it eventually and I'm sure I will drive it pretty hard. I'm a young male which automatically makes me think I'm a race car driver every time I get behind the wheel of anything that burns gas, which is why I'm looking for the Mazdaspeed3 and not just a Mazda 3. But I would like to believe I can take my time and do things right this time around.

Another small question, what was the first mod you did to your car? Would that be the first mod if you had to do it all over again?

Last edited by woodfloor; 05-02-2012 at 09:12 PM. Reason: MSF Database - Automerged Doublepost
 Old 05-02-2012, 09:12 PM   #9

lilred is the leader of the worldlilred is the leader of the worldlilred is the leader of the worldlilred is the leader of the worldlilred is the leader of the worldlilred is the leader of the worldlilred is the leader of the worldlilred is the leader of the worldlilred is the leader of the worldlilred is the leader of the worldlilred is the leader of the world
Thanked 8,690 Times in 3,186 Posts
Groans: 10
Groaned at 17 Times in 14 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Try truecar.com for written quotes I couldn't get it to add the tech package but that's $2,135 option according to Mazdausa.com it would help to have I would think
JBR SSP/bushings
JBR RMM
JBR tigs/ egr delete/ coolant bypass
JBR stage 2 OCC
CS test pipe
Turbosmart BPV (stocker currently on)
SS lines/super blue/stoptech pads

Originally Posted by silvapain View Post
I've heard that modding MAZDASPEEDs is an STD...
lilred is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lilred For This Useful Post:
woodfloor (05-02-2012)
 Old 05-02-2012, 09:13 PM   #10

Mortose is the leader of the worldMortose is the leader of the worldMortose is the leader of the worldMortose is the leader of the worldMortose is the leader of the worldMortose is the leader of the worldMortose is the leader of the worldMortose is the leader of the worldMortose is the leader of the worldMortose is the leader of the worldMortose is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Mine was an intake and AP. I would do the EXACT same thing over again.

as far as the genpu, i've heard that pump internals is a VERY good first mod, but the best mod i would say is the AP.

and a close second is the donate mod. lol
TRex - "i dont care if it is a soccer mom in a mini van, if that whore launches on me im going at it like im racing a supra....just so i can bask in the sweet sweet tears of their defeat"
The Following User Says Thank You to Mortose For This Useful Post:
woodfloor (05-02-2012)
 Old 05-02-2012, 09:15 PM   #11

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

What is "genpu" I keep seeing this term but I can't for the life of me figure out what it stands for.

And I'm opening truecar.com in another tab as soon as I post this. Thanks.
 Old 05-02-2012, 09:17 PM   #12

Not Ranked  0 score     

that is where the search function comes in.

but.... Genpu = Gen2 Genjuan, Genwon, ect...= Gen 1
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mortose For This Useful Post:
Mazdalover01 (09-02-2012), woodfloor (05-02-2012)
 Old 05-02-2012, 09:24 PM   #13

slospeed is the leader of the worldslospeed is the leader of the worldslospeed is the leader of the worldslospeed is the leader of the worldslospeed is the leader of the worldslospeed is the leader of the worldslospeed is the leader of the worldslospeed is the leader of the worldslospeed is the leader of the worldslospeed is the leader of the worldslospeed is the leader of the world
Groans: 1
Groaned at 6 Times in 5 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

@woodfloor I would be glad to sale u my 2010 ms3 no tech package but it only has 20k miles. Its black, if interested just let me know. Reliable as fuck, my wife drives it 5 days a week and I get to play on the weekends. But they are a lot of fun I'm starting to turn more heads these days. I guess the ms3 is getting a reputation.
woodfloor (05-02-2012)
 Old 05-02-2012, 09:28 PM   #14

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by slospeed View Post
@woodfloor I would be glad to sale u my 2010 ms3 no tech package but it only has 20k miles. Its black, if interested just let me know. Reliable as fuck, my wife drives it 5 days a week and I get to play on the weekends. But they are a lot of fun I'm starting to turn more heads these days. I guess the ms3 is getting a reputation.
Thanks for the offer but I'm looking to buy new. Longer warranty and better financing rates. Sorry.
The Following User Says Thank You to woodfloor For This Useful Post:
CWP_MS3 (05-04-2012)
 Old 05-02-2012, 09:36 PM   #15

lilred is the leader of the worldlilred is the leader of the worldlilred is the leader of the worldlilred is the leader of the worldlilred is the leader of the worldlilred is the leader of the worldlilred is the leader of the worldlilred is the leader of the worldlilred is the leader of the worldlilred is the leader of the worldlilred is the leader of the world
Thanked 8,690 Times in 3,186 Posts
Groans: 10
Groaned at 17 Times in 14 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

warranty? whats that? besides that you have to figure out just how good the rates are and if they outweigh the potential savings of a low mileage unmolested ms3 with slightly higher rates
JBR SSP/bushings
JBR RMM
JBR tigs/ egr delete/ coolant bypass
JBR stage 2 OCC
CS test pipe
Turbosmart BPV (stocker currently on)
SS lines/super blue/stoptech pads

Originally Posted by silvapain View Post
I've heard that modding MAZDASPEEDs is an STD...
lilred is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lilred For This Useful Post:
woodfloor (05-02-2012)
 Old 05-02-2012, 09:36 PM   #16

ASHMS3 is the leader of the worldASHMS3 is the leader of the worldASHMS3 is the leader of the worldASHMS3 is the leader of the worldASHMS3 is the leader of the worldASHMS3 is the leader of the worldASHMS3 is the leader of the worldASHMS3 is the leader of the worldASHMS3 is the leader of the worldASHMS3 is the leader of the worldASHMS3 is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,120 Times in 602 Posts
Groans: 126
Groaned at 5 Times in 3 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

About 25 is what I paid. I have tech and love it.
ASHMS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ASHMS3 For This Useful Post:
woodfloor (05-02-2012)
 Old 05-02-2012, 09:37 PM   #17

Kellerspeed3 is the leader of the worldKellerspeed3 is the leader of the worldKellerspeed3 is the leader of the worldKellerspeed3 is the leader of the worldKellerspeed3 is the leader of the worldKellerspeed3 is the leader of the worldKellerspeed3 is the leader of the worldKellerspeed3 is the leader of the worldKellerspeed3 is the leader of the worldKellerspeed3 is the leader of the worldKellerspeed3 is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,033 Times in 961 Posts
Groans: 50
Groaned at 37 Times in 21 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by woodfloor
Not meaning to shit up your forums or anything, and I did run a few preliminary searches and read the stickies before I posted this and came up with a few answers but I figured I would give it a shot and ask. You guys seem like an ok bunch so I hope it is fine...

A tiny bit of info about me first. I'm in my early 20's and finally have a pretty decent job. This is really my first time buying a new car. A few months back I set out to buy a used WRX, when I couldn't find a good deal I got kind of suckered into buying a '06 350z (mostly my fault though) that wasn't as reliable as I hoped for. I'm being extra cautious and wanting to do all my research before I buy. Now I've sold the 350 and I test drove a MS3 again and fell in love. It's a grocery getter that's fun to drive. And the insurance is cheap as shit compared to the 350 or a WRX. I'm sold.

#1. I'm looking to buy a new '12 MS3. I'm trying to get a rough estimate of what a good deal is. I've been to two dealers and got wildly different quotes. I'm mainly looking for a car with the tech package (that wireless keyfob thing is pretty sweet, I know it's gimmicky but I want it) and I'm in Ohio. One dealer quoted me 26.7k with taxes and title and everything. The other 28.9k with everything. What do you guys think? There are three big mazda dealers in my area and each have a few (3-5) MS3's on the lot. The one I test drove about 8 months back before I bought my Z is still on the dealer's lot. It leads me to believe they aren't really selling well and I should be able to get one for a steal.

I've been to each dealer twice but I'm having a really hard time getting them to make me an offer on paper. Each says they will match the other but won't make me a real offer on paper, they want me to come in and "talk" which inevitably turns into a high pressure sales pitch trying to get me to buy that day and I end up walking away. They know I'm a young male and think I'm going to make a stupid impulse buy on a sports car. They make me want to beat my head into a wall.

#2. Anything you guys would want to pass on to someone buying a new MS3? Anything to look for? Any tricks you used with the dealer? Any tips for when I actually get it? What do you like most about your MS3? What do you wish you knew about the car before you bought it? Anything you would have done differently? This will be my first turbo'd car so anything I should know about driving a turbo'd car? I'm not going to lie, I drove the 350z like I stole it most of the time and I'm not going to do that with this car nor do I want to inadvertently do something stupid to it.

Again, I'm sorry if it seems like I'm just some newb wandering onto your forums asking stupid questions, but I'm just trying to get my ducks in a row before I go getting myself into a car payment again.

TL;DR: Young male buying first new car, want to do it the right way. Any advice?
Wish I could help you but I was writing a check about 30 minutes after the test drive, sorry bud but good luck.
2010 Velocity Red w/tech package: Cobb AP, Cobb DP, Tr8L FMIC, Auto Tech internals, BNR S-4 turbo, JBR 3.5 aluminum intake, CPE stage 2 rmm, JBR 80 duro TMM, JBR 70 PMM, JBR SSP and bushings, JBR 5mm spacers, JBR RSB, JBR By Pass Tube, Magna-flow CBE with the "fix", NGK 6510's, JBR EBCS, SSP OCC(now Kozmic), JBR EGR delete, EGR deleted, JBR IM TIG, JBR TB TIG-coolant by-pass, Turbo smart BPV, built block with CP pistons, eagle rods, ported head, pinned cams, shimmed valve springs, Spec clutch stage 3, FordMoCo full syth transmission fluid, Eibach pro kit, ported IM with VCTS delete, ported exhaust mani, Werksracing strut tower brace, TB Performance front traction bar and mid-chassis brace, Corksport adjustable struts and shocks, slotted/drilled rotors, SS brake lines, and lots of TLC. FreekTuned Kotzur built 93/E-85 Prius killa.
Kellerspeed3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kellerspeed3 For This Useful Post:
CWP_MS3 (05-04-2012), woodfloor (05-02-2012)
 Old 05-02-2012, 09:46 PM   #18

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Kellerspeed3 View Post
Wish I could help you but I was writing a check about 30 minutes after the test drive, sorry bud but good luck.
As soon as I stepped on each lot and was looking at the window sticker a sales guy was rushing out with the keys and wanting me to test drive it before I could even ask any other questions lol. They know what they are doing and want me to rush right inside afterwards to cut that check. I did that with my 350z and I don't want to do it again.

Originally Posted by lilred View Post
warranty? whats that? besides that you have to figure out just how good the rates are and if they outweigh the potential savings of a low mileage unmolested ms3 with slightly higher rates
I'm getting a loan through State Farm, my parents have had the same insurance agent for 20+ years now and he is absolutely giving me the best rate. I've compared everywhere I can think of and my payments come out lowest on a new car with a longer than average loan.

Another question for anyone reading this thread, how are most dealers on warranty work with cars with mods? How can I find out? Should I just call up the service department and ask? I imagine the sales guy would say anything to get me to sign that paper.

Last edited by woodfloor; 05-02-2012 at 09:46 PM. Reason: MSF Database - Automerged Doublepost
 Old 05-02-2012, 09:59 PM   #19

aggierandy is the leader of the worldaggierandy is the leader of the worldaggierandy is the leader of the worldaggierandy is the leader of the worldaggierandy is the leader of the worldaggierandy is the leader of the worldaggierandy is the leader of the worldaggierandy is the leader of the worldaggierandy is the leader of the worldaggierandy is the leader of the worldaggierandy is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,196 Times in 1,091 Posts
Groans: 20
Groaned at 18 Times in 14 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I paid about 24k for mine new.

First psedo-mod was a resonator delete. Bigger sound, almost no cost ($20).

First real mod was Rear motor mount (RMM). There are a few different kinds. If I had it to do over again I would get the JBR (james barone racing) dog bone style.

Good luck with the car. Even at msrp it is a good deal.

Donate, search, and since no one else had said it, noodz of the gf.
Sent from my DROIDX

aggierandy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to aggierandy For This Useful Post:
woodfloor (05-02-2012)
 Old 05-02-2012, 10:04 PM   #20

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by aggierandy View Post
I paid about 24k for mine new.

First psedo-mod was a resonator delete. Bigger sound, almost no cost ($20).

First real mod was Rear motor mount (RMM). There are a few different kinds. If I had it to do over again I would get the JBR (james barone racing) dog bone style.

Good luck with the car. Even at msrp it is a good deal.

Donate, search, and since no one else had said it, noodz of the gf.
Sent from my DROIDX
Thanks for the input. I plan on donating as soon as I'm in possession of the car if for some crazy reason I don't end up buying the car I'm not out $25, but everyone has been really helpful so far and I'm here to stay.

If I had a GF at the moment I would have included them in my introduction post, it really goes without saying
 Old 05-02-2012, 10:07 PM   #21

Sid3wayS is the leader of the worldSid3wayS is the leader of the worldSid3wayS is the leader of the worldSid3wayS is the leader of the worldSid3wayS is the leader of the worldSid3wayS is the leader of the worldSid3wayS is the leader of the worldSid3wayS is the leader of the worldSid3wayS is the leader of the worldSid3wayS is the leader of the worldSid3wayS is the leader of the world
Thanked 11,403 Times in 3,993 Posts
Groans: 97
Groaned at 28 Times in 25 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Being a member here voids any and all warranty claims.
If your at the point where you consider doing warranty work, just stock out. These cars are fairly simple to work on and between 2 guys you can take a "fully bolted" car back to stock in a couple hours. Look in your local NATOR group (group of local speeds that have meets and install days snd will become your extended family) for prices, askin people on the other side of the country realy isnt going to give you a good idea of the prices in your area; for example I paid 23k otd w/ a tech package, way different from your 28k.
Read in the general discussion areas for "first mods" plenty of threads on the matter for the direction you want to take the car in.
Lastly..... FYNN and donate brownie (term used for newbs who's screen name is brown)

Edit: ohhh and welcome to the wounderful group of assholes that is MSF.org

Sid3wayS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sid3wayS For This Useful Post:
DEVAST8R (05-04-2012), fortressofcomfort (05-03-2012), jeopardy98 (05-03-2012), woodfloor (05-02-2012)
 Old 05-02-2012, 10:17 PM   #22

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Sid3wayS View Post
Being a member here voids any and all warranty claims.
If your at the point where you consider doing warranty work, just stock out. These cars are fairly simple to work on and between 2 guys you can take a "fully bolted" car back to stock in a couple hours. Look in your local NATOR group (group of local speeds that have meets and install days snd will become your extended family) for prices, askin people on the other side of the country realy isnt going to give you a good idea of the prices in your area; for example I paid 23k otd w/ a tech package, way different from your 28k.
Read in the general discussion areas for "first mods" plenty of threads on the matter for the direction you want to take the car in.
Lastly..... FYNN and donate brownie (term used for newbs who's screen name is brown)

Edit: ohhh and welcome to the wounderful group of assholes that is MSF.org

Thanks, I think the high prices are just the dealers trying to screw me because they think they can get away with it. And this forum has been great so far. I was planning on kind of forum "shopping" and posting on a few different forums from the google search list to see what kind of response I got. This was the first one I picked and I'm not even going to look anywhere else. I hit the nail on the head with my first swing.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to woodfloor For This Useful Post:
lilred (05-02-2012), Sid3wayS (05-02-2012), tddvrrn (05-03-2012)
 Old 05-02-2012, 10:32 PM   #23

Sid3wayS is the leader of the worldSid3wayS is the leader of the worldSid3wayS is the leader of the worldSid3wayS is the leader of the worldSid3wayS is the leader of the worldSid3wayS is the leader of the worldSid3wayS is the leader of the worldSid3wayS is the leader of the worldSid3wayS is the leader of the worldSid3wayS is the leader of the worldSid3wayS is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

After you roam thru MSF..... THERE IS NOTHING ELSE.

No one even begins to come close to the shared knowledge on this site, and honestly not trying to push it on you but when you go VIP the info triples. Hell access and ability to downoad the shop manuals for free is worth the $25 alone.

The Following User Says Thank You to Sid3wayS For This Useful Post:
woodfloor (05-02-2012)
 Old 05-02-2012, 10:56 PM   #24

Elusivellama is the leader of the worldElusivellama is the leader of the worldElusivellama is the leader of the worldElusivellama is the leader of the worldElusivellama is the leader of the worldElusivellama is the leader of the worldElusivellama is the leader of the worldElusivellama is the leader of the worldElusivellama is the leader of the worldElusivellama is the leader of the worldElusivellama is the leader of the world
Groaned at 5 Times in 5 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

The only things in the (2012) tech package that are worth it are:
- blind spot monitoring system
- push button start
- Self-leveling Bi-Xenon High-Intensity-Discharge (HID) headlights
- Adaptive Front-lighting System (AFS)

The nav system is near useless. Come to think of it, the blind spot monitoring system alone must be worth close to 1500 and is a good deal if it comes in the tech package.
woodfloor (05-02-2012)
 Old 05-02-2012, 10:59 PM   #25

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Elusivellama View Post
The only things in the (2012) tech package that are worth it are:
- blind spot monitoring system
- push button start
- HIDs with AFS (swivelling lights)

The nav system is near useless, and the power driver seat gets used maybe.. once an oil change, if that. Come to think of it, the blind spot monitoring system alone must be worth close to 1500 and is a good deal if it comes in the tech package.
That's what I'm thinking. The blind spot + HIDs are the only real benefit to the package. I don't see myself using the NAV as my Galaxy Nexus does it better and while the push button start is pretty cool it's just kinda of gimmicky. I think I'm going to get the tech package just for the blind spot + HIDs. I had HIDs on my last car and I don't really see myself going back to regular head lights.
mazdapunk87 likes this.
 Old 05-02-2012, 11:03 PM   #26

Elusivellama is the leader of the worldElusivellama is the leader of the worldElusivellama is the leader of the worldElusivellama is the leader of the worldElusivellama is the leader of the worldElusivellama is the leader of the worldElusivellama is the leader of the worldElusivellama is the leader of the worldElusivellama is the leader of the worldElusivellama is the leader of the worldElusivellama is the leader of the world
Groaned at 5 Times in 5 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by woodfloor View Post
That's what I'm thinking. The blind spot + HIDs are the only real benefit to the package. I don't see myself using the NAV as my Galaxy Nexus does it better and while the push button start is pretty cool it's just kinda of gimmicky. I think I'm going to get the tech package just for the blind spot + HIDs. I had HIDs on my last car and I don't really see myself going back to regular head lights.
I thought the push button was gimmicky at first, but I've gotten so used to it that it feels strange to have to turn a key in other cars. It's real nice in winter when you have gloves on and you want to open the door. Just walk up, press the black button and the door opens. It's a non-essential feature, but a nice one. The BSMS is the number one thing in the tech package and something I wish my 2010 had.
mazdapunk87 (09-02-2012), Sid3wayS (05-02-2012), woodfloor (05-02-2012)
 Old 05-02-2012, 11:08 PM   #27

alphasaur is the leader of the worldalphasaur is the leader of the worldalphasaur is the leader of the worldalphasaur is the leader of the worldalphasaur is the leader of the worldalphasaur is the leader of the worldalphasaur is the leader of the worldalphasaur is the leader of the worldalphasaur is the leader of the worldalphasaur is the leader of the worldalphasaur is the leader of the world
Thanked 3,438 Times in 1,295 Posts
Groans: 235
Groaned at 60 Times in 48 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

When I was shopping around for a genpu (ended up getting a genwon) I just emailed about 8 dealers within a 100 mile area, told them that I was contacting a bunch of dealers via email looking for the best offer otd. I typically got invoice or under offers without having to step into a dealer or talk to pushy salesmen. I've heard of a few people that have gone this route with good results.

Good luck & welcome.

/91 miata with basic suspension bits
/Turbo ep3 BWAAAAA PSH
/speed 3- bye
/possessed speed 6- dead ((((((

/lol nator.
alphasaur is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to alphasaur For This Useful Post:
woodfloor (05-02-2012)
 Old 05-02-2012, 11:11 PM   #28

aggierandy is the leader of the worldaggierandy is the leader of the worldaggierandy is the leader of the worldaggierandy is the leader of the worldaggierandy is the leader of the worldaggierandy is the leader of the worldaggierandy is the leader of the worldaggierandy is the leader of the worldaggierandy is the leader of the worldaggierandy is the leader of the worldaggierandy is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,196 Times in 1,091 Posts
Groans: 20
Groaned at 18 Times in 14 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by alphasaur View Post
When I was shopping around for a genpu (ended up getting a genwon) I just emailed about 8 dealers within a 100 mile area, told them that I was contacting a bunch of dealers via email looking for the best offer otd. I typically got invoice or under offers without having to step into a dealer or talk to pushy salesmen. I've heard of a few people that have gone this route with good results.

Good luck & welcome.
Oh yeah, Did the same. Good point

Sent from my DROIDX

aggierandy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to aggierandy For This Useful Post:
woodfloor (05-02-2012)
 Old 05-03-2012, 11:41 AM   #29

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

So I've called a total of 5 dealers today and it seems that everyone is telling me around $26500-26900 OTD. I'm waiting for a dealer or two to call me back but I don't think they are really going to be able to offer anything other than maybe a couple hundred. Looks like they don't have as much wiggle room as I thought. And from what I've read on truecar.com and from some of the dealer invoices I have that seems right.

Sigh, I was hoping to be able to get it OTD for less than 25k. With all the dealers having multiple cars on the lot, I was hoping one would really want the sale and push a better offer to move a car.

Now the dilemma is do I get a Speed3 w/ tech and a higher payment than I really want, or a Speed3 w/o tech that has the payment but not the features or just hold off and save some more money or buy a different car.

Decisions, decisions.
 Old 05-03-2012, 11:51 AM   #30

spiffy9999 is the leader of the worldspiffy9999 is the leader of the worldspiffy9999 is the leader of the worldspiffy9999 is the leader of the worldspiffy9999 is the leader of the worldspiffy9999 is the leader of the worldspiffy9999 is the leader of the worldspiffy9999 is the leader of the worldspiffy9999 is the leader of the worldspiffy9999 is the leader of the worldspiffy9999 is the leader of the world
Groans: 3
Groaned at 7 Times in 7 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

do not get something you don't wantyou will regret it if you're going to have to wait to save up a little more for a down payment anyway talk to the dealer you want to work with about getting a cwp w/ tech for you on dealer trade...I know it would be hard but maybe the one that has the cwp w/o tech can swing it....if you're gonna go balls out and be paying on a car fo 5+ years get what you want.....end rant
spiffy9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to spiffy9999 For This Useful Post:
CWP_MS3 (05-04-2012), mazdapunk87 (09-02-2012), woodfloor (05-03-2012)
 Old 05-03-2012, 12:29 PM   #31

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by spiffy9999 View Post
do not get something you don't wantyou will regret it if you're going to have to wait to save up a little more for a down payment anyway talk to the dealer you want to work with about getting a cwp w/ tech for you on dealer trade...I know it would be hard but maybe the one that has the cwp w/o tech can swing it....if you're gonna go balls out and be paying on a car fo 5+ years get what you want.....end rant
I agree. I don't want a car that six months from now I'm looking to get rid of or hate. And I don't want to saddle myself with a payment for a car that I don't absolutely love and can afford. That was why I picked the MS3 in the first place, it's an affordable, semi-sensible car that I can buy new and the insurance is good.

Color is not a big deal. Ultimately I want silver because it's the easiest to take care of and should have a good resale value. I think after I work tonight I'm going to sit down and crunch all the numbers in depth again and see what I come up with now that I know exactly what I would be paying for the car.
 Old 05-03-2012, 12:39 PM   #32

Not Ranked  0 score     

Silver is also the fastest color.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sid3wayS For This Useful Post:
Voltron (05-03-2012), woodfloor (05-03-2012)
 Old 05-03-2012, 12:42 PM   #33

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Sid3wayS View Post
That's what I was thinking. It really helps the car slice through the air better.
 Old 05-03-2012, 12:45 PM   #34

Kellerspeed3 is the leader of the worldKellerspeed3 is the leader of the worldKellerspeed3 is the leader of the worldKellerspeed3 is the leader of the worldKellerspeed3 is the leader of the worldKellerspeed3 is the leader of the worldKellerspeed3 is the leader of the worldKellerspeed3 is the leader of the worldKellerspeed3 is the leader of the worldKellerspeed3 is the leader of the worldKellerspeed3 is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Sid3wayS
Cops hate the red.
2010 Velocity Red w/tech package: Cobb AP, Cobb DP, Tr8L FMIC, Auto Tech internals, BNR S-4 turbo, JBR 3.5 aluminum intake, CPE stage 2 rmm, JBR 80 duro TMM, JBR 70 PMM, JBR SSP and bushings, JBR 5mm spacers, JBR RSB, JBR By Pass Tube, Magna-flow CBE with the "fix", NGK 6510's, JBR EBCS, SSP OCC(now Kozmic), JBR EGR delete, EGR deleted, JBR IM TIG, JBR TB TIG-coolant by-pass, Turbo smart BPV, built block with CP pistons, eagle rods, ported head, pinned cams, shimmed valve springs, Spec clutch stage 3, FordMoCo full syth transmission fluid, Eibach pro kit, ported IM with VCTS delete, ported exhaust mani, Werksracing strut tower brace, TB Performance front traction bar and mid-chassis brace, Corksport adjustable struts and shocks, slotted/drilled rotors, SS brake lines, and lots of TLC. FreekTuned Kotzur built 93/E-85 Prius killa.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kellerspeed3 For This Useful Post:
woodfloor (05-03-2012)
 Old 05-03-2012, 12:51 PM   #35

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Cops hate the red.
It looks like you own a red one, do you think that's true? I was considering buying a red one because I think it looks sharp but I'm wary due to the "red = speed tickets" thing. I've always thought of it as kind of a myth myself.
 Old 05-03-2012, 12:55 PM   #36

ms3rick is the leader of the worldms3rick is the leader of the worldms3rick is the leader of the worldms3rick is the leader of the worldms3rick is the leader of the worldms3rick is the leader of the worldms3rick is the leader of the worldms3rick is the leader of the worldms3rick is the leader of the worldms3rick is the leader of the worldms3rick is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,348 Times in 986 Posts
Groans: 17
Groaned at 18 Times in 13 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Cops hate the red.
never get bothered by the cops with my silver.. ;-)

Get the tech package its what you want, wait a few pay checks, and put down a better down payment to solve the payment issue..

now get get the speed!

welcome ;-)

E85(25%) - Stratified DynoJet - 307//357
PowerMods: AccessPort*STRATIFIED*; AutoTech FP internals;Corksport SRI//TIP; CorkSport Test Pipe
Suspension: H&R springs//Sensen Mazda5 struts; TB Performance TractionBar//Trunk Brace
Brakes: CorkSport Pads; Centric Blanks

Other: UltraGaugeEM; JBR 88D Rmm; JBR SSP//Bushings; EGR unplug;CF 3m vinal on trim in side car

Official 60-100mph Times
Official Video battles
Official Youtube Channels

Originally Posted by silvapain
[10:53 AM] silvapain: I grow facial hair faster than Haltech extorts your moniez.

:-( 2014 - Dodge Dart.. (Blue Turtle)
ms3rick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ms3rick For This Useful Post:
woodfloor (05-03-2012)
 Old 05-03-2012, 12:56 PM   #37

spiffy9999 is the leader of the worldspiffy9999 is the leader of the worldspiffy9999 is the leader of the worldspiffy9999 is the leader of the worldspiffy9999 is the leader of the worldspiffy9999 is the leader of the worldspiffy9999 is the leader of the worldspiffy9999 is the leader of the worldspiffy9999 is the leader of the worldspiffy9999 is the leader of the worldspiffy9999 is the leader of the world
Groans: 3
Groaned at 7 Times in 7 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Red= speed tickets on "sports cars" these are looked at as grocery getters because everyone sees them as normal mazda 3 hatches....though depending on your insurance company sometimes red or black will cost a few bucks extra on insurance....stupid yes...but they say "statistically people with red and black cars drive faster making them more likely to wreck"...idiots
spiffy9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to spiffy9999 For This Useful Post:
woodfloor (05-03-2012)
 Old 05-03-2012, 12:58 PM   #38

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by woodfloor

It looks like you own a red one, do you think that's true? I was considering buying a red one because I think it looks sharp but I'm wary due to the "red = speed tickets" thing. I've always thought of it as kind of a myth myself.
It's true, it's considered an aggressive color by law enforcement, as well as black, it's just you notice the red more. Used to be insurance companies would charge more for having a red car, at least in Texas but have since gotten rid of that rule because the state told them to but I really liked the red so that's what I bought.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kellerspeed3 For This Useful Post:
woodfloor (05-03-2012)
 Old 05-03-2012, 01:40 PM   #39

Guerra88 has much to be proud ofGuerra88 has much to be proud ofGuerra88 has much to be proud ofGuerra88 has much to be proud ofGuerra88 has much to be proud ofGuerra88 has much to be proud ofGuerra88 has much to be proud ofGuerra88 has much to be proud ofGuerra88 has much to be proud ofGuerra88 has much to be proud of
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I got a new 2012 ms3 with tech, got one of the first ones in my area last sept and I paid about 26k with fees and all that. I guess 26.7k wouldnt be too bad but i'm sure you could get them down. Invoice price is around 26k for the tech package I thought.
I dont regret anything and the car is a fun DD. I did an intake and got the accessport first. Pretty awesome first mods. (gotta do my fuel pump internals soon)
Shop around and good luck dude

Self tune in progress, MAF and fueling dialed in.
Guerra88 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Guerra88 For This Useful Post:
woodfloor (05-03-2012)
 Old 05-03-2012, 01:42 PM   #40

Weazsel is the leader of the worldWeazsel is the leader of the worldWeazsel is the leader of the worldWeazsel is the leader of the worldWeazsel is the leader of the worldWeazsel is the leader of the worldWeazsel is the leader of the worldWeazsel is the leader of the worldWeazsel is the leader of the worldWeazsel is the leader of the worldWeazsel is the leader of the world
Groans: 7
Groaned at 3 Times in 2 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I picked up my new CWP with tech two weeks ago. Where else are you going to get this much car for the price? I was looking at others in the same price range and they didn't come close. My buddy picked up a new Liquid Silver (not faster) this past October and I've been eyeing it since he got it. I got mine for $26,689 out the door which is pretty good in NY from what I've been reading.

Biggest advice to you is to read this forum, then read this forum and then read this forum some more. Donate after you realize how much this place and the people helps you. (If you're not a dick of course.) This realization shouldn't take more than an hour of reading.

Also, get the "warranty" and "I don't know if I'm going to mod..." out of your head! If you're here already, you're fucked already lol Start saving your sheckles. Like it was said already if you have any warranty issues just unbolt everything back to stock.

What I've gathered from my friend and this forum that is a must for our car: HIGH PRESSURE FUEL PUMP internals or a HP replacement like someone said already. A relatively cheap ($350-$750) mod that is necessary to go much further than an intake without hurting our toys.

Also a RMM (Rear Motor Mount) $80-$200, Intake and an AccessPort. After that the possibilities are endless! Good luck!
Dr. Speed (05-03-2012), kunfu (05-04-2012), woodfloor (05-03-2012)