register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3 MZR Gen2 Forums (2010-2013)
> Gen2 MS3 General Discussion

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By MSMS3
  • 1 Post By DadliMS3

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 10-22-2019, 05:25 PM   #1

DadliMS3 will become famous soon enoughDadliMS3 will become famous soon enough
Groans: 0
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default MS3 Gen 2 Electrical/ ecu problem?

So guys, ive had my 2011 JDM speed for the last 5 weeks, and its been nothing but smiles on my face as having been my first performance car that I've owned but not driven. Any ways issues started 2 weeks ago when my traction control, abs light and rvm light came on a cold start. it stayed on for a few days and then came off and then back again. I went to a diagnostics mechanic and the diagnosis came back with abs faults and when we took it for a drive all 4 wheel sensors were unresponsive. He said that its highly unlikely all four would be faulty and said maybe its the abs module. Anyways drove off and the lights came off. The back again and stays on. This has been the cycle for 2 weeks with it coming off then coming on and staying on even with normal driving

issue 2:

Today was jus sitting idle and the car started reving by itself and a warning light on the dash screen comin on and off ...

I like this car but these things are doing my head in and wondering if i made a mistake.

anyone have anythoughts
DadliMS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 10-22-2019, 06:01 PM   #2

MSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,897 Times in 1,042 Posts
Groans: 154
Groaned at 47 Times in 31 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by DadliMS3 View Post
So guys, ive had my 2011 JDM speed for the last 5 weeks, and its been nothing but smiles on my face as having been my first performance car that I've owned but not driven. Any ways issues started 2 weeks ago when my traction control, abs light and rvm light came on a cold start. it stayed on for a few days and then came off and then back again. I went to a diagnostics mechanic and the diagnosis came back with abs faults and when we took it for a drive all 4 wheel sensors were unresponsive. He said that its highly unlikely all four would be faulty and said maybe its the abs module. Anyways drove off and the lights came off. The back again and stays on. This has been the cycle for 2 weeks with it coming off then coming on and staying on even with normal driving

issue 2:

Today was jus sitting idle and the car started reving by itself and a warning light on the dash screen comin on and off ...

I like this car but these things are doing my head in and wondering if i made a mistake.

anyone have anythoughts
Please go somewhere and get it scanned for diagnostic error codes, if you don’t have a scanner, and report them here.

There is little we can do without those codes, and potentially a lot of help we can offer with them.
DadliMS3 likes this.

Sunlight Silver '08 MS3 GT Mods: (Sold 1/25/2019 after 10+ years of ownership)
BNR Stage 1 (to fix smoking K04 turbo), TurboXS 3" Catless DP/RP "Stealthback" into stock CBE, Vibrant 3 inch Ultra Quiet Resonator in RP section, Magnaflow 3 1/2" exhaust tip, Mazdaspeed CAI w/air straightener and K&N conical filter, NGK 6510 Iridium IX one step colder plugs, Hypertech tune, Autotech HPFP internals, Stock BPV (works perfectly), Yokohama Advan Neova AD08R's (stock size on stock rims); Hawk HPS pads; SURE RMM; Grimmspeed EBCS (2 port mode), Bilstein B6's, SPC rear camber arms.
MSMS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 10-22-2019, 06:44 PM   #3

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by MSMS3 View Post
Please go somewhere and get it scanned for diagnostic error codes, if you don’t have a scanner, and report them here.

There is little we can do without those codes, and potentially a lot of help we can offer with them.
Thanks man, I will try and get codes this wekeend, just annoyed i gotta pay another 50USD to get it done
The Following User Says Thank You to DadliMS3 For This Useful Post:
MSMS3 (10-23-2019)
 Old 10-22-2019, 07:42 PM   #4
Police - Grammarhead

Vansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the world
Thanked 7,002 Times in 2,803 Posts
Groans: 1,906
Groaned at 45 Times in 26 Posts

Originally Posted by DadliMS3 View Post
Thanks man, I will try and get codes this wekeend, just annoyed i gotta pay another 50USD to get it done
You can also just acquire an ELM327-style OBD2 reader that can interface with the Torque app. That will allow you to read and clear codes.

Vansquish is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vansquish For This Useful Post:
MSMS3 (10-23-2019)
 Old 10-23-2019, 11:14 AM   #5

Jeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the world
Groans: 3
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Vansquish View Post
You can also just acquire an ELM327-style OBD2 reader that can interface with the Torque app. That will allow you to read and clear codes.
is torque reading abs codes ? I think abs are on the lsCAN network and torque is just reading mscan error codes.

Instead you can also ack the same cheap elm327 with a toggle switch and load Forscan app and switch to the other communication protocol and pins to reach abs and air bag computers.
https://www.forscan.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4

2007 rusted Speed6... in progress...
1993 Ford Probe KLZE 143dB
2012 Mazda3 Gs-sky 6.5l/100 when transporting speed parts
1989 GM 6.2 diesel pickup
Wife drive 2010 CX7

2007 speed3 burned (i'm proud to ran 12.7s with it)

...Because French Canadian...

If you check for leaks and you didn't made a test under compressor pressure, you aren't done checking for leaks....
Jeff23spl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff23spl For This Useful Post:
Vansquish (10-23-2019)
 Old 10-23-2019, 12:21 PM   #6

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Jeff23spl View Post
is torque reading abs codes ? I think abs are on the lsCAN network and torque is just reading mscan error codes.

Instead you can also ack the same cheap elm327 with a toggle switch and load Forscan app and switch to the other communication protocol and pins to reach abs and air bag computers.
https://www.forscan.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4
Unfortunately where I live on this side of the world, it's abit of a hassle to get that device in a good time frame. So I have to stick to goin to a mechanic with the diagnostic device. The car runs good except for those faults.. when i first got the car the passenger side light wasn't working despite having a new bulb and all fuses being intact... then a week later it just started working but the AFS malfunctions from time to time.

Old 10-23-2019, 01:13 PM   #7

Jeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the world
Groans: 3
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

with your story of intermittent problems, i would add ground strap between body-engine-battery negative (the big3 used in car audio) and check all ground in the engine bay following electric diagram and make sure all of them are clean and tight.
then i would check both fuse box connection (in the back)
Is the engine been replaced ? Could it be a flooded and repaired car ?

which part of the world take more time to get Chineese parts than in North America ?

2007 rusted Speed6... in progress...
1993 Ford Probe KLZE 143dB
2012 Mazda3 Gs-sky 6.5l/100 when transporting speed parts
1989 GM 6.2 diesel pickup
Wife drive 2010 CX7

2007 speed3 burned (i'm proud to ran 12.7s with it)

...Because French Canadian...

If you check for leaks and you didn't made a test under compressor pressure, you aren't done checking for leaks....
Jeff23spl is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 10-23-2019, 08:34 PM   #8

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Jeff23spl View Post
with your story of intermittent problems, i would add ground strap between body-engine-battery negative (the big3 used in car audio) and check all ground in the engine bay following electric diagram and make sure all of them are clean and tight.
then i would check both fuse box connection (in the back)
Is the engine been replaced ? Could it be a flooded and repaired car ?

which part of the world take more time to get Chineese parts than in North America ?
Noted, will check that out thanks for the advice. The car is a fresh import to the island, its only been here 1 year and it was driven by a friend of mine since it landed. and as far as i kno it never gave any issues. The engine hasnt been replaced as far as i know from japan, but the driver side (passenger side for USDM) needs replacing. I live in the caribbean and the logistics to get parts and not to mention the tax duty on car items is like 40 or 60% of the value including shipping lool!
 Old 11-08-2019, 08:33 PM   #9

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

found the cause for the abs/traction control light issue was a faulty sensor. have two ordered and shipped as we speak.
Jeff23spl likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to DadliMS3 For This Useful Post:
Vansquish (11-11-2019)