register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3 MZR Gen2 Forums (2010-2013)
> Gen2 MS3 General Discussion

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Fstrnyou
  • 2 Post By Djohns

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 08-12-2017, 06:53 PM   #1

MS6_newbie will become famous soon enough
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default Need some help - trying to validate mileage

I have more questions, which I will post in the various performance sections, but I need to validate a few things first, decide if I want to keep this car.

It's a 2013, with a claimed 11,000 miles. Car looks to be bone stock. Been underneath it many times now, nothing unusual or out of place (well, I did find 4 mid-cross section subframe bolts unscrewed about half-way, that's a new one on me..).

Here's the deal - I am questioning whether or not the car really has 11K miles.

What I know so far - there is a very small lip on the front rotors - no scaring, and I don't see any indication of a pad swap, but the fact it had a lip at all got my attention, but it's not outside of the realm of possibility, if the car was primarily driven in town.

The stock wheels have at least been rebalanced - the stock weights were removed and it had tape weights. The tires on the car were Dunlop Star something.. I really hope that was a stock tire option, in the book it had about 4 different pamphlets for different OEM tire manufactures.

The driver seat has some "folding" or "witness" marks on the driver / door side lower bolster - is this common?

The biggie - the edge of the clutch pedal, the lower corner is actually worn through, about a 1/4" long slit - it looks like the genius PO primarily used the edge of the pedals, not the base of them, as the brake pedal is only shinny on the gas pedal side as well. The far left edge of the clutch pedal is polished. Some portion of the rubber nubs on the clutch pedal are worn, but not worn out.

I plan to pull the intake and check the intake valves for carbon buildup (because we should, and because it should be a mileage indicator). Anyone have pics at around 10K to compare it to?

Does anyone have the cylinder compression specs handy? I will do that as well.

What say Ye? I assume (as most cars are now) that the IPC is a stand-alone unit? Does it need to be programmed, or can you simply buy a new one and plug and play? As a long shot, is there any engine run-time or mileage stored in any other module (ECM, BCM, etc.)?

Any help would be appreciated, I can post pics if needed. Thanks.

Last edited by MS6_newbie; 08-13-2017 at 11:20 AM.
MS6_newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 08-12-2017, 07:00 PM   #2

tmillner is the leader of the worldtmillner is the leader of the worldtmillner is the leader of the worldtmillner is the leader of the worldtmillner is the leader of the worldtmillner is the leader of the worldtmillner is the leader of the worldtmillner is the leader of the worldtmillner is the leader of the worldtmillner is the leader of the worldtmillner is the leader of the world
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Post pics for sure. Engine bay, rotors, clutch peddle etc. Compression should be 20 psi of each other. I think around 180 psi but more importantly close to each other.

Drivers seat is common, well it happened in my 2012 and my s2000.

Stock tires dunlop 2050. Very possible they had tires changed in that period.

Have you bought this already?

Sent from my SM-N930P using Tapatalk
 Old 08-13-2017, 01:14 AM   #3

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

** I just realized I typo'd when I created my user name - should have been MS3, not MS6.. What a dumb-ass.. **

Yes, I own it and I need to decide quickly if I will pursue legal action against the dealer, if it looks like the odometer was tampered with. Registration docs say one owner, and the story I was told over the phone was that it was a fair weather car, hence the low mileage. But the dealer and the salesman I dealt with turned out to be deaf, dumb and blind crooks, the lot of them, just like you would expect..

And I belive the car had 2050's on the stock wheels, so that's good - the wheels were rashed, and two of the sidewalls had chunks out of them, so I bought 18x8.5 Enkies on 235/40's.

I like the car but I won't be taken for a ride, if you know what I mean (I paid a premium based on the low mileage).

I have plans for the car, an intake, maybe exhaust (no tuning though) and it desperately needs a short shifter, probably lower it an inch or so / some suspension work, a catch can, etc. Already installed a RMM. Not going to go nuts, it's my daily driver, I have a 550 HP C6 Z06 Carbon Edition for track days and spanking yound (and old) adults on mountain runs (although heck, if it rains the MS3 might be pressed into light track duty).

Last edited by MS6_newbie; 08-13-2017 at 11:18 AM.
 Old 08-13-2017, 10:39 PM   #4

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Any other fedback?

Now that the tires are confirmed as being stock, I am satisfied that the wear on the pedals is just a function of the PO not knowing how to use them properly.

Ordered an OCC, SSP and EGR delete kit from Damond.

Last edited by MS6_newbie; 08-14-2017 at 12:41 PM.
 Old 08-14-2017, 10:05 AM   #5

Djohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,353 Times in 1,268 Posts
Groans: 88
Groaned at 7 Times in 6 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Did you pull the intake to check for carbon?
The go: Depo racing: downpipe (100 cell count), custom: FMIC. HTP: 3.5" intake, under route piping. JBR: shortshifter, RSB. Autotech: HPFP internals. Go fast bits: hybrid BPV, VMR: 18x8.5 V710s, Bridgestone: potenza re760 245/40/18, KW: v3 coilovers,SPC: camber arms, freektuned, Damond Motorsports: dual OCC, PMM, PCV plate, RMM, TMM, EGR delete, FoSt mani, Corksport: battery box(fuck this thing), injector seals, Cobb: EBCS, AP v3. AEM: methanol. Seibon: carbon fiber hood. UR: catback. Bosch: 3bar. BNR: s4, DNP: EWG manifold, Tial: 38mm mvs EWG.

The show: 5% tint all around, 50% tint windshield, rally armor mudflaps, Sony XAV64BT touchscreen headunit, katskin leather interior, CPE relocation plate, Maisonvi weighted shift knob, Corksport hoodscoop, black housing headlights.

Soon:built motor
Djohns is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 08-14-2017, 12:38 PM   #6

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Haven't gotten to it yet, but I will. Looks like a mini project to pull everything off.

Probably will do it when I receive the catch can, EGR delete and SSP.
 Old 08-15-2017, 06:57 AM   #7

thatguy0o0 has much to be proud ofthatguy0o0 has much to be proud ofthatguy0o0 has much to be proud ofthatguy0o0 has much to be proud ofthatguy0o0 has much to be proud ofthatguy0o0 has much to be proud ofthatguy0o0 has much to be proud ofthatguy0o0 has much to be proud ofthatguy0o0 has much to be proud ofthatguy0o0 has much to be proud of
Groans: 1
Not Ranked  0 score     

All that stuff sounds pretty normal. If the dunlops were swapped for winter tires or something you would rebalance them. Rotors could be worn due to tracking the car or something which might also explain the pedals. As far as the seat is concerned the previous owner could have been a fatty and getting in and out would fuck the seat up. I don't know that those issues are a solid indication of odometer tampering even if it is I would think it would be hard to pursue legal actions against a dealer just because the rotors and seat are worn...I am not a legal rep or anything but it wouldn't make sense to me unless you could pull a carfax that shows service records at a mileage over what it is now or something definitive like that. Best of luck either way. LOL accidentally put MS6 instead of MS3 oh well the only way to fix it is to just go get a speed6 now haha. Is this your first post?

Autotech HPFP
Cobb APV3
K&N Typhoon SRI
UR catless DP
Corksport TP
JBR RMM
Stratified e85 tune

Last edited by thatguy0o0; 08-15-2017 at 11:51 AM.
thatguy0o0 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 08-15-2017, 08:47 AM   #8

Fstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the world
Groans: 1
Groaned at 3 Times in 2 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Considering his post count is 4 and they're all in this thread...then yes.
thatguy0o0 likes this.
eBay Stage 1 OCC, DM RMM & Stage 2 OCC
Puppy Power tuning temporarily suspended.
Other rides:
2002 Tacoma ExtCab 2.4L 5spd 2WD - Parts Getter
2004 Olds Alero ECOtec 2.2 - Broken (since Christmas 2015)
History:
2008 GSX-R 1000 - Stolen (With several runs past 180, I'd probably be dead by now if it wasn't stolen. So, in a way, I'm thankful.)
1988 RX-7 TII - Sold (Megasquirt, streetport, SRI, TBE, 20psi, OE turbo, OE TMIC on ice, 13.467 @ 105.44)
1985 Camaro - Sold (265hp 5.7 swap, Edelbrock intake & Hooker headers)
Fstrnyou is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 08-16-2017, 05:59 PM   #9

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by thatguy0o0 View Post
All that stuff sounds pretty normal. If the dunlops were swapped for winter tires or something you would rebalance them. Rotors could be worn due to tracking the car or something which might also explain the pedals. As far as the seat is concerned the previous owner could have been a fatty and getting in and out would fuck the seat up. I don't know that those issues are a solid indication of odometer tampering even if it is I would think it would be hard to pursue legal actions against a dealer just because the rotors and seat are worn...I am not a legal rep or anything but it wouldn't make sense to me unless you could pull a carfax that shows service records at a mileage over what it is now or something definitive like that. Best of luck either way. LOL accidentally put MS6 instead of MS3 oh well the only way to fix it is to just go get a speed6 now haha. Is this your first post?
Yeah, I'm just going to start posting under my standard forum handle, ditch / delete this account.

Now that I know those were the stock tires, I am telling myself the PO was simply a major D-bag when it came to taking care of the outside of the car.

If I hadn't been put (or should I say trusting the salesman and putting myself into) a situation where I was pressured to buy (one-way plan ticket, etc.) I probably would have walked - they got over on me, I have accepted it and moving on to make the car look like it should at 10K miles. I guess I am mellowing with age, I haven't thought about wishing that salseman and his children die in a firery crash in at least a week now.

Looking forward to hanging with my new MS3 buds,
 Old 08-16-2017, 06:06 PM   #10

Djohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by MS6_newbie View Post
Yeah, I'm just going to start posting under my standard forum handle, ditch / delete this account.

Now that I know those were the stock tires, I am telling myself the PO was simply a major D-bag when it came to taking care of the outside of the car.

If I hadn't been put (or should I say trusting the salesman and putting myself into) a situation where I was pressured to buy (one-way plan ticket, etc.) I probably would have walked - they got over on me, I have accepted it and moving on to make the car look like it should at 10K miles. I guess I am mellowing with age, I haven't thought about wishing that salseman and his children die in a firery crash in at least a week now.

Looking forward to hanging with my new MS3 buds,
If you're looking forward to hanging with some ms3 buds you best get good with a shake weight.
thatguy0o0 and danb like this.
The go: Depo racing: downpipe (100 cell count), custom: FMIC. HTP: 3.5" intake, under route piping. JBR: shortshifter, RSB. Autotech: HPFP internals. Go fast bits: hybrid BPV, VMR: 18x8.5 V710s, Bridgestone: potenza re760 245/40/18, KW: v3 coilovers,SPC: camber arms, freektuned, Damond Motorsports: dual OCC, PMM, PCV plate, RMM, TMM, EGR delete, FoSt mani, Corksport: battery box(fuck this thing), injector seals, Cobb: EBCS, AP v3. AEM: methanol. Seibon: carbon fiber hood. UR: catback. Bosch: 3bar. BNR: s4, DNP: EWG manifold, Tial: 38mm mvs EWG.

The show: 5% tint all around, 50% tint windshield, rally armor mudflaps, Sony XAV64BT touchscreen headunit, katskin leather interior, CPE relocation plate, Maisonvi weighted shift knob, Corksport hoodscoop, black housing headlights.

Old 08-16-2017, 10:17 PM   #11

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Let me borrow your Mom's, the one that talks and makes change, and ill get right on it..
The Following User Says Thank You to MS6_newbie For This Useful Post:
Djohns (08-16-2017)
 Old 08-16-2017, 10:39 PM   #12

Not Ranked  0 score     

Let me borrow your Mom's, the one that talks and makes change, and ill get right on it..
You uncultured fuck stick! It's called cab fare not change. Shipping address?

Old 08-17-2017, 11:43 PM   #13

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Djohns View Post
You uncultured fuck stick! It's called cab fare not change. Shipping address?
True dat..

But that's what Uber is for - who the fuck takes a cab in 2017..? And what site have I fallen into, with emojis like this??
 Old 08-18-2017, 05:02 AM   #14

KiwiFlavor is the leader of the worldKiwiFlavor is the leader of the worldKiwiFlavor is the leader of the worldKiwiFlavor is the leader of the worldKiwiFlavor is the leader of the worldKiwiFlavor is the leader of the worldKiwiFlavor is the leader of the worldKiwiFlavor is the leader of the worldKiwiFlavor is the leader of the worldKiwiFlavor is the leader of the worldKiwiFlavor is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,437 Times in 871 Posts
Groans: 14
Groaned at 6 Times in 5 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

And what site have I fallen into, with emojis like this??

Welcome to mazdaspeed circle jerk.

BNR S3 - JBR Tru 3.0" - CP-E TMIC - Corksport catless DP - Corksport race pipe - Forge V2 - Autotech internals + AP v3 - Swift springs - Enkei RPF1 17x9 + 45 (5mm JBR spacers in the front)
KiwiFlavor is offline   Reply With Quote