register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3 MZR Gen2 Forums (2010-2013)
> Gen2 MS3 General Discussion

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 04-11-2015, 12:22 PM   #1

csmaan12 has a reputation beyond reputecsmaan12 has a reputation beyond reputecsmaan12 has a reputation beyond reputecsmaan12 has a reputation beyond reputecsmaan12 has a reputation beyond reputecsmaan12 has a reputation beyond reputecsmaan12 has a reputation beyond reputecsmaan12 has a reputation beyond reputecsmaan12 has a reputation beyond reputecsmaan12 has a reputation beyond reputecsmaan12 has a reputation beyond repute
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default The ole clutch vibration issue.

Okay so I've searched and read here on how to diagnose for bent rod, and I'll be leaving work early to do that today. Will measure rod height asap. Story is below.

My symptoms at the moment...while driving I can feel like a tap on the clutch pedal when I rest my foot on it, it does increase when I give more gas, but it completely disappears if I let go of the gas and let the car engine brake.

For example in 4th gear at 3k RPM, vibes are felt, if I let go of gas but still in gear no vibes at all. It almost matches the my exhaust note when I accelerate. At idle, very very slight vibrations are felt, but do not increase with revving the engine.

For comparison sake, I drove two other cars to see if there is any difference. On my friends 2013 gen coupe, absolutely smooth as butter. On my friends 2015 Mustang Ecoboost, feels similar to my clutch but not quite the same. Probably irrelevant to mention this since it's not another MS3 but figured I'd mention this anyway.

I'll mention the car runs quite well, I go WOT like once a day because I love how hard it pulls after I got the Stratified OTS+ tune. It feels great and as it should when you get on it. My only doubt is that if it had a bent rod, with the way I drive it, wouldn't it have vented the block a long time ago? I've had the car for just about one year now and im starting to get paranoid as hell.

Anyways thanks for reading, input welcome.

FREEKTUNED
ETS TMIC
Autotech HPFP Internals
CS Stage II SRI + TIP
Tial QR
UR Catback
UR Catless Test Pipe
Damond RMM
Damond SSP
csmaan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 04-11-2015, 05:57 PM   #2

sheston is the leader of the worldsheston is the leader of the worldsheston is the leader of the worldsheston is the leader of the worldsheston is the leader of the worldsheston is the leader of the worldsheston is the leader of the worldsheston is the leader of the worldsheston is the leader of the worldsheston is the leader of the worldsheston is the leader of the world
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

When I bent my rod (s), at idle, when I just touched the clutch petal, it felt like ABS pulsations, but as soon as I pressed it in some, that all went away. Did you do something to suspect you bent a rod? ie. WOT at 2k rpms or something?

If it is a bent rod, I was able to hear more "ticking" noise from the engine at idle as well.

Good luck
sheston is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 04-11-2015, 11:47 PM   #3

csmaan12 has a reputation beyond reputecsmaan12 has a reputation beyond reputecsmaan12 has a reputation beyond reputecsmaan12 has a reputation beyond reputecsmaan12 has a reputation beyond reputecsmaan12 has a reputation beyond reputecsmaan12 has a reputation beyond reputecsmaan12 has a reputation beyond reputecsmaan12 has a reputation beyond reputecsmaan12 has a reputation beyond reputecsmaan12 has a reputation beyond repute
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by sheston View Post
When I bent my rod (s), at idle, when I just touched the clutch petal, it felt like ABS pulsations, but as soon as I pressed it in some, that all went away. Did you do something to suspect you bent a rod? ie. WOT at 2k rpms or something?

If it is a bent rod, I was able to hear more "ticking" noise from the engine at idle as well.

Good luck
Ah doesn't quite feel like that at idle. If I press the clutch in all the way I can't feel anything.

I did end up measuring the pistons at TDC though. All looks to be okay. 3 people telling me all heights are the same vs. me being paranoid saying cylinder 4 was a teeny tiny bit low. We measured twice with same results every time so I'm calling it in favor of not bent. I really hope that I'm the wrong one here.

My main concerns are the random KR I get sometimes when I don't even boost, but in the 3k+ RPM range and register KR with just easing into it. Sometimes I don't get KR at all no matter how I drive. Its really weird. I've taken the car almost to red line in 4th gear and had 0.00 KR from 3k all the way to 6.3k.

Now I have to keep digging to figure out why my clutch is vibrating like it is because I really don't like that at all.

FREEKTUNED
ETS TMIC
Autotech HPFP Internals
CS Stage II SRI + TIP
Tial QR
UR Catback
UR Catless Test Pipe
Damond RMM
Damond SSP
 Old 04-12-2015, 08:34 AM   #4

Colepidd55 has a reputation beyond reputeColepidd55 has a reputation beyond reputeColepidd55 has a reputation beyond reputeColepidd55 has a reputation beyond reputeColepidd55 has a reputation beyond reputeColepidd55 has a reputation beyond reputeColepidd55 has a reputation beyond reputeColepidd55 has a reputation beyond reputeColepidd55 has a reputation beyond reputeColepidd55 has a reputation beyond reputeColepidd55 has a reputation beyond repute
Groans: 1
Not Ranked  0 score     

Does your gas or brake peddle vibrate too? all mine vibrate right now but it's been like that since i put different mounts on.
Colepidd55 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 04-12-2015, 09:42 AM   #5

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Colepidd55 View Post
Does your gas or brake peddle vibrate too? all mine vibrate right now but it's been like that since i put different mounts on.

Yes, sometimes I can feel it, sometimes I can't. Even if it does its a lot less compared to clutch.

FREEKTUNED
ETS TMIC
Autotech HPFP Internals
CS Stage II SRI + TIP
Tial QR
UR Catback
UR Catless Test Pipe
Damond RMM
Damond SSP
 Old 04-12-2015, 02:15 PM   #6

Colepidd55 has a reputation beyond reputeColepidd55 has a reputation beyond reputeColepidd55 has a reputation beyond reputeColepidd55 has a reputation beyond reputeColepidd55 has a reputation beyond reputeColepidd55 has a reputation beyond reputeColepidd55 has a reputation beyond reputeColepidd55 has a reputation beyond reputeColepidd55 has a reputation beyond reputeColepidd55 has a reputation beyond reputeColepidd55 has a reputation beyond repute
Groans: 1
Not Ranked  0 score     

Yeah, sounds kinda like what I have. Do you have any knock at wot?
Colepidd55 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 04-12-2015, 02:23 PM   #7

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Colepidd55 View Post
Yeah, sounds kinda like what I have. Do you have any knock at wot?
Yes, but usually it's a very tiny amount lower in the RPM range. Usually end up seeing like 0.34-0.48, when I first get on it, but as it climbs higher in the RPM range there's virtually none.

I rarely see anything above 0.88. Sometimes I get 0 no matter what I do or how I drive, WOT or PT. Part throttle is a different story, but I guess it's common in 2010+.

I think I may have a leaky BPV or a boost leak somewhere, I just can't find it.

FREEKTUNED
ETS TMIC
Autotech HPFP Internals
CS Stage II SRI + TIP
Tial QR
UR Catback
UR Catless Test Pipe
Damond RMM
Damond SSP
 Old 04-12-2015, 03:08 PM   #8

timmcc02 is the leader of the worldtimmcc02 is the leader of the worldtimmcc02 is the leader of the worldtimmcc02 is the leader of the worldtimmcc02 is the leader of the worldtimmcc02 is the leader of the worldtimmcc02 is the leader of the worldtimmcc02 is the leader of the worldtimmcc02 is the leader of the worldtimmcc02 is the leader of the worldtimmcc02 is the leader of the world
Groaned at 9 Times in 3 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Dual mass flywheel...
timmcc02 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 04-12-2015, 05:06 PM   #9

rigor is the leader of the worldrigor is the leader of the worldrigor is the leader of the worldrigor is the leader of the worldrigor is the leader of the worldrigor is the leader of the worldrigor is the leader of the worldrigor is the leader of the worldrigor is the leader of the worldrigor is the leader of the worldrigor is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,526 Times in 1,141 Posts
Groans: 40
Groaned at 8 Times in 8 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

you only feel it when you put light pressure on it, that is a bent rod i just bent 2-4 rods about a month ago, when i depressed the clutch i felt nothing
BT T3 .5557 @25 psi 10. 6:1 peformance3 pistons, manley rods arp 625+ rod bolts, arp L19 head studs, Ap, 4'' inlet rr mani 4'' custom inlet, ,2.5'' ic piping, treadstone intercooler tr10 , turbosmart bov , tail 44mm wg, cobb electronic boost control 1 3/4 screamer p, odyssey batt, cs racepipe, custom 3'' dp 80mm cat back 80mm, egr del, vcts del, and port matched,sure tig's, running 100% meth 2000 cc, ATC 6 puck sl fw

472 hp 461tq virtual dyno and ran out of fuel!

nishan said theirs a easy 550 in the setup if i had the fuel but meh...

54,000 miles big turbo! stock block

at 104000 2 bent rods

current miles 113000 and runs perfect! no hiccups!

tuned by nishan
rigor is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 04-12-2015, 05:31 PM   #10

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by rigor View Post
you only feel it when you put light pressure on it, that is a bent rod i just bent 2-4 rods about a month ago, when i depressed the clutch i felt nothing
Do you mean more pressure than just resting foot on it? Like I mentioned, all rods measured out the same according to everyone BUT my paranoid eyes.

If it's the dual mass flywheel I'll be happy to replace that with a lightweight.

FREEKTUNED
ETS TMIC
Autotech HPFP Internals
CS Stage II SRI + TIP
Tial QR
UR Catback
UR Catless Test Pipe
Damond RMM
Damond SSP
 Old 04-12-2015, 05:59 PM   #11

rigor is the leader of the worldrigor is the leader of the worldrigor is the leader of the worldrigor is the leader of the worldrigor is the leader of the worldrigor is the leader of the worldrigor is the leader of the worldrigor is the leader of the worldrigor is the leader of the worldrigor is the leader of the worldrigor is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

ya just starting to put pressure on it
its not that hard to pull the pan and check

idk if the duel mass would do that, it kinda feels like someone is tapping on the bottom of your foot, depends how they bend though

mine were pretty close like barley different in height but i was comparing two bent rods
BT T3 .5557 @25 psi 10. 6:1 peformance3 pistons, manley rods arp 625+ rod bolts, arp L19 head studs, Ap, 4'' inlet rr mani 4'' custom inlet, ,2.5'' ic piping, treadstone intercooler tr10 , turbosmart bov , tail 44mm wg, cobb electronic boost control 1 3/4 screamer p, odyssey batt, cs racepipe, custom 3'' dp 80mm cat back 80mm, egr del, vcts del, and port matched,sure tig's, running 100% meth 2000 cc, ATC 6 puck sl fw

at 104000 2 bent rods

tuned by nishan
The Following User Says Thank You to rigor For This Useful Post:
Easter Bunny (04-12-2015)
 Old 04-12-2015, 06:06 PM   #12

Not Ranked  0 score     

the way id do it is friday night pull car in, drop oil leave plug out overnight, sat morning pull pan, access situation. if all good put pan back up let sit till sunday afternoon, fill with oil / filter .
otherwise if you rush the seal it will leak!

it only takes 20 min tops to pull the pan good luck

at 104000 2 bent rods

tuned by nishan
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rigor For This Useful Post:
Easter Bunny (04-12-2015), MD1032 (04-14-2015)
 Old 04-12-2015, 06:51 PM   #13

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by rigor View Post
the way id do it is friday night pull car in, drop oil leave plug out overnight, sat morning pull pan, access situation. if all good put pan back up let sit till sunday afternoon, fill with oil / filter .
otherwise if you rush the seal it will leak!

it only takes 20 min tops to pull the pan good luck
Hmm okay I'll have to do it next weekend or next oil change then because I use my car a lot. Do I have to re-seal the oil pan with new gasket or can it be reused? I don't mind dropping it if it means that I will be 100% sure that I don't have a bent rod. I'll be doing a compression test too.

FREEKTUNED
ETS TMIC
Autotech HPFP Internals
CS Stage II SRI + TIP
Tial QR
UR Catback
UR Catless Test Pipe
Damond RMM
Damond SSP
 Old 04-12-2015, 07:51 PM   #14
Raider is mah Homie

Easter Bunny is the leader of the worldEaster Bunny is the leader of the worldEaster Bunny is the leader of the worldEaster Bunny is the leader of the worldEaster Bunny is the leader of the worldEaster Bunny is the leader of the worldEaster Bunny is the leader of the worldEaster Bunny is the leader of the worldEaster Bunny is the leader of the worldEaster Bunny is the leader of the worldEaster Bunny is the leader of the world
Thanked 14,699 Times in 4,614 Posts
Groans: 2,978
Groaned at 94 Times in 82 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Its not a gasket. You have to use a sealant.

I hugged rfinkle2
Easter Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Easter Bunny For This Useful Post:
csmaan12 (04-13-2015), smurugby12 (04-15-2015)

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/forum/f544/ole-clutch-vibration-issue-187069/
Posted By For Type Date
The ole clutch vibration issue. This thread Refback 08-28-2015 10:59 PM