register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3 MZR Gen2 Forums (2010-2013)
> Gen2 MS3 General Discussion

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 06-12-2018, 04:10 AM   #1

gotovato is a name known to allgotovato is a name known to allgotovato is a name known to allgotovato is a name known to allgotovato is a name known to allgotovato is a name known to all
Groans: 0
Groaned at 2 Times in 1 Post
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default Rich AFR's

hey all, recently been having an issue where the car starts to go richer as RPM increases during WOT pulls. afrs go from around 11.4 to 10, to 9.7 as the RPM increases. i have cleaned the maf, replaced the seal between maf and intake, i have replaced to orings on my bov, checked intercooler piping and clamps, and smoke tested my setup. Smoke test did not show any leaks. Ive got a few logs I can post which all show the issue. any ideas what the issue could be? any help would be great, thanks!

Logs added
Attached Files
File Type: csv datalog42.csv (12.8 KB, 7 views)
File Type: csv datalog43.csv (17.7 KB, 3 views)
File Type: csv datalog45.csv (14.5 KB, 5 views)
2011 ms3 Cobb AP, Forge bypass valve, HPFP internals, Cobb downpipe, Custom fmic w/mishimoto core, Cobb RMM, Cobb EBC, KW coilovers, whiteline RSB, stop tech fluid, stop tech SS brake lines, hawk HP+ pads, ACT 6 puck clutch, ATP 3071r, HTP 3.5" intake, Damond catch can, TunedbyNishan

Last edited by gotovato; 06-12-2018 at 05:18 AM.
gotovato is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 06-12-2018, 05:34 AM   #2

Fstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the world
Groans: 19
Groaned at 6 Times in 5 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

You didn't mention it, but I'm assuming you have made ZERO changes to the vehicle prior to the AFRs getting richer.

Boost leak would be the first to check, which you did.
You say "recently". Do you have an earlier log that shows steady AFRs at WOT to compare it with?
Versatuner, 3-bar MAP, NGK6510, CP-e TMIC
CS Turbo/DP/RP/HPFP/BPV/R-DiffMount
White Widow F-DiffMount, Whiteline RSB
Russian Bushings in Back, Poly FSB Bushings, Magnaflow CBE, ACT sprung 6-puck/Streetlite
JBR Tru-3.5/3-port EBCS/EGR-D
Damond RMM/PMM/Stage 2 OCC/PCV Plate
AWR TMM on stand-by
Other rides:
2002 Tacoma ExtCab 2.4L 5spd 2WD - 355k mile Speed support vehicle.
2004 Olds Alero ECOtec 2.2 - Broken (since Christmas 2015 and I really need to get rid of it)
History:
2008 GSX-R 1000 - Stolen (With several runs past 180, I'd probably be dead by now if it wasn't stolen. So in a way, I'm thankful.)
1988 RX-7 TII - Sold (Megasquirt, streetport, filter-on-turbo SRI, custom TBE, 20psi boost creep on OE turbo, OE TMIC on ice, 13.467 @ 105.44) apex seals said buh bye!
1985 Camaro - Sold (est. 265bhp 5.7 swap, Edelbrock intake & Hooker headers)
Fstrnyou is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 06-12-2018, 06:49 AM   #3

gotovato is a name known to allgotovato is a name known to allgotovato is a name known to allgotovato is a name known to allgotovato is a name known to allgotovato is a name known to all
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Fstrnyou View Post
You didn't mention it, but I'm assuming you have made ZERO changes to the vehicle prior to the AFRs getting richer.

Boost leak would be the first to check, which you did.
You say "recently". Do you have an earlier log that shows steady AFRs at WOT to compare it with?
so the issue probably started about 3 weeks ago but being noob, I didn't see it for what it was. I noticed the issue on a very hot day after a few pulls and though it was the ecu dumping fuel to manage heat. I then next noticed it on the track running hot laps, again just thought it was the ecu dumping fuel to deal with heat. I then realized my BATs were not exceeding 43c even on track after multiple laps and yet I was still having this issue.

Yesterday I did my checking of clamps and couplers and whatnot. I smoke tested and had 0 leaks although it was a low pressure smoker. the logs just don't make sense to me as its perfectly fine up until a certain rpm then it just goes dead rich. heres a log taken not long before I started having this issue.

I have made NO changes to the setup recently. I did install new plugs a few weeks ago but even after the plug was it was running without this issue. that's the most recent change ive made to the car.
Attached Files
File Type: csv datalog41.csv (21.4 KB, 3 views)
2011 ms3 Cobb AP, Forge bypass valve, HPFP internals, Cobb downpipe, Custom fmic w/mishimoto core, Cobb RMM, Cobb EBC, KW coilovers, whiteline RSB, stop tech fluid, stop tech SS brake lines, hawk HP+ pads, ACT 6 puck clutch, ATP 3071r, HTP 3.5" intake, Damond catch can, TunedbyNishan
 Old 06-12-2018, 09:02 AM   #4

Fstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Does it start to leak at a certain RPM or a certain boost?
Russian Bushings in Back, Poly FSB Bushings, Magnaflow CBE, ACT sprung 6-puck/Streetlite
AWR TMM on stand-by
Other rides:
2004 Olds Alero ECOtec 2.2 - Broken (since Christmas 2015 and I really need to get rid of it)
History:
2008 GSX-R 1000 - Stolen (With several runs past 180, I'd probably be dead by now if it wasn't stolen. So in a way, I'm thankful.)
1988 RX-7 TII - Sold (Megasquirt, streetport, filter-on-turbo SRI, custom TBE, 20psi boost creep on OE turbo, OE TMIC on ice, 13.467 @ 105.44) apex seals said buh bye!
 Old 06-12-2018, 09:13 AM   #5

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

it appears to happen at a certain rpm, always above 4100rpm in all 3 of those logs. It seems the ecu or something is turning up IDC as im seeing it rise into the 90's on those 3 logs, but on the log I posted without the issue, they are only high 70's low 80's at same boost levels and rpm
 Old 06-12-2018, 09:18 AM   #6

Not Ranked  0 score     

Sorry, I can't view logs on my phone.

I'm assuming you aren't seeing any KR either.
AWR TMM on stand-by
Other rides:
History:
 Old 06-12-2018, 09:32 AM   #7

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

nothing significant interms of knock. few 0.36, 0.7 points but that's about it

something is causing my IDC's to shoot up. if I compare the rich logs to the previous logs, at the same rpm, boost, load, g/s, throttle position, everything is the same, only difference are IDC's and the AFRs as a result
 Old 06-12-2018, 12:15 PM   #8

Solarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the world
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

How many miles on the car? If you've ruled out boost/vacuum leaks it could just be a bad O2 sensor, worn injector seals, or sticking throttle body. All common once you get up in the mileage.
Solarsurge is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 06-12-2018, 12:31 PM   #9

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Solarsurge View Post
How many miles on the car? If you've ruled out boost/vacuum leaks it could just be a bad O2 sensor, worn injector seals, or sticking throttle body. All common once you get up in the mileage.
car has 111,000KM on it, so about 69,000 miles. I was thinking maybe bad o2 but would that cause the increase in IDC im seeing for no apparent reason? also im not sure if I need to try a higher pressure boost leak test again? the car was recently boost leak tested up to 25 psi and no leaks found and just yesterday I did a low pressure smoke test with no leaks found
 Old 06-12-2018, 01:12 PM   #10

Solarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by gotovato View Post
car has 111,000KM on it, so about 69,000 miles. I was thinking maybe bad o2 but would that cause the increase in IDC im seeing for no apparent reason? also im not sure if I need to try a higher pressure boost leak test again? the car was recently boost leak tested up to 25 psi and no leaks found and just yesterday I did a low pressure smoke test with no leaks found
The Cobb AP does not actually read the O2 sensor for its AFR values. It's reading your fuel tables. So, if your O2 sensor is bad, your car, which is actually reading the O2 sensor data, will just try to throw more fuel at it which will increase your IDC and make you run rich. But there's no guarantee that's what your issue actually is. It could be a boost/vacuum leak, bad injector seals, fuel pump could be going bad, you could have bad plugs, etc.

I would start with the easiest first and work my way down:
1. See if you can smell gas anywhere in your engine bay
2. Check around HPFP/fuel lines and see if there are any wet spots
3. Check front of block and under IM for wet spots
4. Pull plugs and check for proper gap/fouling
5. Check intake tract for leaks
6. Check turbo manifold/exhaust for any visible signs of leaks (soot)
7. Have O2 sensor tested
 Old 06-12-2018, 01:30 PM   #11

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

The Cobb AP does not actually read the O2 sensor for its AFR values. It's reading your fuel tables. So, if your O2 sensor is bad, your car, which is actually reading the O2 sensor data, will just try to throw more fuel at it which will increase your IDC and make you run rich. But there's no guarantee that's what your issue actually is. It could be a boost/vacuum leak, bad injector seals, fuel pump could be going bad, you could have bad plugs, etc.

I would start with the easiest first and work my way down:
1. See if you can smell gas anywhere in your engine bay
2. Check around HPFP/fuel lines and see if there are any wet spots
3. Check front of block and under IM for wet spots
4. Pull plugs and check for proper gap/fouling
5. Check intake tract for leaks
6. Check turbo manifold/exhaust for any visible signs of leaks (soot)
7. Have O2 sensor tested

thanks for the suggestions i will have to give the car further inspection. how would i go about testing the o2 sensor? the plugs are recent an i know i gapped them correctly but ill pull one a check. would an exhaust leak cause the issue im having?
 Old 06-12-2018, 02:23 PM   #12

Not Ranked  0 score     

thanks for the suggestions i will have to give the car further inspection. how would i go about testing the o2 sensor? the plugs are recent an i know i gapped them correctly but ill pull one a check. would an exhaust leak cause the issue im having?
For an excellent article that demonstrates how exhaust leaks can affect your O2 sensor readings, check this out:
How An Exhaust Leak Affects Wideband/O2 Sensor Readings

Now, taking into account the example in that article of the blown out exhaust gasket that caused the AFR to go from 12.2 to 15.1 at the O2 sensor, your car reads your lean condition and adds more fuel to bring it back to 12.2 and now you're actually running rich. Fortunately for us, since the AP reads the fuel tables instead, it will show you that you're running rich, since it's not reading the 15.1 from the O2 sensor. It will instead read around 9.85.

**Edited for correct math in example**

Last edited by Solarsurge; 06-12-2018 at 04:25 PM.
 Old 06-12-2018, 04:24 PM   #13

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

For an excellent article that demonstrates how exhaust leaks can affect your O2 sensor readings, check this out:
How An Exhaust Leak Affects Wideband/O2 Sensor Readings

Now, taking into account the example in that article of the blown out exhaust gasket that caused the AFR to go from 12.2 to 15.1 at the O2 sensor, your car reads your lean condition and adds more fuel to bring it back to 12.2 and now you're actually running rich. Fortunately for us, since the AP reads the fuel tables instead, it will show you that you're running rich, since it's not reading the 15.1 from the O2 sensor. It will instead read around 9.3.
Ok that makes sense why am exhaust leak would cause the car to go rich. It's possible I may have an exhaust leak for sure. Will have to check for exhaust leaks I think. This issue has to be an exhaust leak or a bad o2 sensor. That makes the most sense but why does it only happen higher up in the rpm?
 Old 06-12-2018, 04:53 PM   #14

Not Ranked  0 score     

Ok that makes sense why am exhaust leak would cause the car to go rich. It's possible I may have an exhaust leak for sure. Will have to check for exhaust leaks I think. This issue has to be an exhaust leak or a bad o2 sensor. That makes the most sense but why does it only happen higher up in the rpm?
Pressurized seals don't leak at a constant rate. It may not even leak at all until you hit a certain pressure that makes the seal fail. But like I said, I wouldn't rule out a fuel pressure issue, either. IDC only raises that high when your fuel pump is giving it all she's got trying to keep up with fuel demand. Injector seals are shitty little washers from the factory that easily fail or your fuel pump could be shitting the bed. But rather than tearing down your entire engine bay, start with the small stuff and pray you find the issue before you have to disassemble your engine bay lol
 Old 06-12-2018, 08:08 PM   #15

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Pressurized seals don't leak at a constant rate. It may not even leak at all until you hit a certain pressure that makes the seal fail. But like I said, I wouldn't rule out a fuel pressure issue, either. IDC only raises that high when your fuel pump is giving it all she's got trying to keep up with fuel demand. Injector seals are shitty little washers from the factory that easily fail or your fuel pump could be shitting the bed. But rather than tearing down your entire engine bay, start with the small stuff and pray you find the issue before you have to disassemble your engine bay lol
Lol damn. Hoping I don't have to start disassembling my engine bay. I'm hoping it's as simple as an exhaust leak. Now if it is injector seals I take it it would be pretty easy to notice leaks in that area? Under the intake manifold? Should be simple enough to take a look under there and see if I can smell any gas in that area
 Old 06-13-2018, 05:37 AM   #16

5doorsoffury is the leader of the world5doorsoffury is the leader of the world5doorsoffury is the leader of the world5doorsoffury is the leader of the world5doorsoffury is the leader of the world5doorsoffury is the leader of the world5doorsoffury is the leader of the world5doorsoffury is the leader of the world5doorsoffury is the leader of the world5doorsoffury is the leader of the world5doorsoffury is the leader of the world
Groans: 74
Groaned at 9 Times in 8 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

You are going rich due to knock. I only looked at the first log thou but from that log thats what i am seeing. The car throws more fuel in when the car knocks. Next it pulls timing equal to the kr you are getting (.5 kr = timing reduced by .5) until the kr goes away. It isnt going away so the car just incrementaly adds more fuel and takes more timing away as rpms increase.

Take a gallon of e85 and add it to a full tank. If it goes away look into some meth or ask to get retuned.
If it dosent chances are your injector seals are leaking and fucking yo couch.

Edit: your mas airflow isnt smooth so i would also check the plugs for a proper gap.
PTE 5858 Vband .82ar // Tial EWG // CPE Mani // 3" Turboback // JBR Under route hot pipe // MD ST mani+spacer with PI // Siemens 60lb Injectors // Splitsecond inj controller // JBR 88 duro RMM/TMM // MD PMM // TWM Full replacement shifter // JBR CC // Autotech FP Internals // SP63 SB/Manley rods SP63 pro pistons // Treadstone FMIC TR824 // FoMoCo Tranny Jizz // South Bend Clutch Stage 3 enduro// GFB Respons // FJ 4" intake // WMI 100% VPM1 // Air Lift 1000 in rear // N2MB WOT BOX
Rfinkle tune in progress

The Brooklyn beater: 2005 1.8 Auto Sentra

5doorsoffury is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 06-13-2018, 06:02 AM   #17

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by 5doorsoffury View Post
You are going rich due to knock. I only looked at the first log thou but from that log thats what i am seeing. The car throws more fuel in when the car knocks. Next it pulls timing equal to the kr you are getting (.5 kr = timing reduced by .5) until the kr goes away. It isnt going away so the car just incrementaly adds more fuel and takes more timing away as rpms increase.

Take a gallon of e85 and add it to a full tank. If it goes away look into some meth or ask to get retuned.
If it dosent chances are your injector seals are leaking and fucking yo couch.

Edit: your mas airflow isnt smooth so i would also check the plugs for a proper gap.
i have no e85 around here unfortunately. I thought it might be knock related, but ive never seen a car dump fuel like that for a few points of knock, not even a full degree of knock is registered, on the flip side, i thought the knock may be caused due to the rich AFR. also there are parts of the log that are clean yet the car just keeps getting richer. Plugs may be something to check as i have replaced them about a month ago but i made sure gaps were all perfect
 Old 06-13-2018, 04:38 PM   #18

5doorsoffury is the leader of the world5doorsoffury is the leader of the world5doorsoffury is the leader of the world5doorsoffury is the leader of the world5doorsoffury is the leader of the world5doorsoffury is the leader of the world5doorsoffury is the leader of the world5doorsoffury is the leader of the world5doorsoffury is the leader of the world5doorsoffury is the leader of the world5doorsoffury is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

What are your short/ long term fuel trims? If you really have a leak it should show up under closed loop.
PTE 5858 Vband .82ar // Tial EWG // CPE Mani // 3" Turboback // JBR Under route hot pipe // MD ST mani+spacer with PI // Siemens 60lb Injectors // Splitsecond inj controller // JBR 88 duro RMM/TMM // MD PMM // TWM Full replacement shifter // JBR CC // Autotech FP Internals // SP63 SB/Manley rods SP63 pro pistons // Treadstone FMIC TR824 // FoMoCo Tranny Jizz // South Bend Clutch Stage 3 enduro// GFB Respons // FJ 4" intake // WMI 100% VPM1 // Air Lift 1000 in rear // N2MB WOT BOX
Rfinkle tune in progress

Old 06-13-2018, 04:46 PM   #19

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

What are your short/ long term fuel trims? If you really have a leak it should show up under closed loop.
This is a good point. I have not checked those. I take it I just need to log some regular driving for a bit and take a look or is a idle log good enough?
 Old 06-14-2018, 04:26 AM   #20

Not Ranked  0 score     

This is a good point. I have not checked those. I take it I just need to log some regular driving for a bit and take a look or is a idle log good enough?
Take a maf cal log that should cover everything
Rfinkle tune in progress

Old 06-14-2018, 04:41 AM   #21

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Take a maf cal log that should cover everything
perfect will do! i know at one point it was pretty solid so i guess ill see pretty quickly if theres an issue there. Also i was beginning to think maybe the o2 could just be bad?
 Old 07-31-2018, 12:56 PM   #22

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

issues been resolved. was a problem in the tune