register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3 MZR Gen2 Forums (2010-2013)
> Gen2 MS3 General Discussion

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By MSMS3

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 10-15-2019, 04:47 PM   #1

Chimichanga will become famous soon enough
Groans: 0
Groaned at 3 Times in 2 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default Spark plugs gone wrong (help)

So my car has downpipe, full sri 3” Corksport, hpfp, and tuned ots from cobb stage 2
I changed my spark plugs to ngk 6510 1 step colder and i noticed that my car is now underboost and my launch is slower now, you know that feeling, it doesn’t break my neck anymore. And i have no idea what’s happening. If u guys know what’s up with my car please tell me.
Chimichanga is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 10-15-2019, 06:26 PM   #2

ABOSWORTH is the leader of the worldABOSWORTH is the leader of the worldABOSWORTH is the leader of the worldABOSWORTH is the leader of the worldABOSWORTH is the leader of the worldABOSWORTH is the leader of the worldABOSWORTH is the leader of the worldABOSWORTH is the leader of the worldABOSWORTH is the leader of the worldABOSWORTH is the leader of the worldABOSWORTH is the leader of the world
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Are the plugs gapped properly?

Current Mods
JBR Solid Shifter Bushings: Corksport Stage II SRI/TIP: CP-E Stage II Rear Motor Mount: AutoTech Internals: Cobb AccessPort V3: UR Test Pipe: Cobb 3" Catback Exhaust: JBR Boost Tubes: ETS TMIC: Denso ITV22s: JBR EGR Block Off Kit: JBR RSB: TS Kompact BPV: Tuned by Rob
ABOSWORTH is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ABOSWORTH For This Useful Post:
Vansquish (10-15-2019)
 Old 10-15-2019, 10:56 PM   #3

andale927 has a brilliant futureandale927 has a brilliant futureandale927 has a brilliant futureandale927 has a brilliant futureandale927 has a brilliant futureandale927 has a brilliant futureandale927 has a brilliant futureandale927 has a brilliant futureandale927 has a brilliant futureandale927 has a brilliant futureandale927 has a brilliant future
Groans: 3
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

Make sure that you didn't cause a boost leak during the install.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Power:
BNR S4 v2 Turbocharger | JBR 3.5" Aluminum Intake | JBR Battery Box | GFB Respons BPV |Depo Racing Catless Downpipe | Bosch 3 BAR MAP | JBR 3 Port EBC | Treadstone TR8 Kit w/ Piping | Autotech HPFP Internals | Ultimate Racing Catback | Cobb Accessport V3 | Devils Own Meth Kit (D05) | Custom Tru-Cool Oil Cooler | FREEKTUNED E30 Mix+Meth

Handling:
KW V3 Coilovers | CS Camber Plates | SPC Rear Camber Arms | Michelin Pilot Sport 4S 235/40/18 | Full Damond Motor Mounts | JBR Weighted Shift Knob | JBR Shift Bushings | JBR Rear Sway Bar | Damond Short Shift Plate

Other:
Cobb Polyurethane Exhaust Hangers | Speedline Hood Struts | Corksport CF Hood Scoop | Damond OCC Stage 1 | Corksport E-Brake | Corksport Steering Wheel | Avid.1 AV-20 Wheels 18x8 +35
andale927 is online now   Reply With Quote
 Old 10-16-2019, 01:28 AM   #4

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by ABOSWORTH View Post
Are the plugs gapped properly?
Im newbie with gaping, i prolly gapped it wrong. What’s the best gap?

Originally Posted by andale927 View Post
Make sure that you didn't cause a boost leak during the install.

Hello this might be the cause of it cuz after installing it i had a rough startup but then after like 10 sec it went back to normal. I test drove it and everything seems fine. But after that i noticed that my boost is not going all they way up its like limited or something and then checked if there boost leak and then i saw the clamp hose between the intercooler and throttle body was loose.

And it is still underboost idk why I can’t feel the power i felt before i changed my spark plugs.

Last edited by Chimichanga; 10-16-2019 at 01:28 AM. Reason: MSF Database - Automerged Doublepost
The Following User Says NO Thank You to Chimichanga For This Un-useful Post:
Vansquish (10-16-2019)
 Old 10-16-2019, 05:26 AM   #5
Police - Grammarhead

Vansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the world
Thanked 7,002 Times in 2,803 Posts
Groans: 1,906
Groaned at 45 Times in 26 Posts

The Mazda service manual as revised in 2010 states that the spark plugs should be gapped to between 0.024" and 0.027".

Vansquish is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 10-16-2019, 07:07 AM   #6

Jeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the world
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

if the car start fine and idle ok but gap limit power, it would be under the form of very noticeable misfire...

it is more likely a leak but if you ran the car with it and even if you solved it, it will take a while to learn the changes if you didn't reset the ecu. (loading your map again or disconnected battery and drain remaining voltage.... )
If you aren't sure of the solved leak, you may ask a mechanic.

2007 rusted Speed6... in progress...
1993 Ford Probe KLZE 143dB
2012 Mazda3 Gs-sky 6.5l/100 when transporting speed parts
1989 GM 6.2 diesel pickup
Wife drive 2010 CX7

2007 speed3 burned (i'm proud to ran 12.7s with it)

...Because French Canadian...

If you check for leaks and you didn't made a test under compressor pressure, you aren't done checking for leaks....
Jeff23spl is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 10-16-2019, 01:32 PM   #7

shamie is the leader of the worldshamie is the leader of the worldshamie is the leader of the worldshamie is the leader of the worldshamie is the leader of the worldshamie is the leader of the worldshamie is the leader of the worldshamie is the leader of the worldshamie is the leader of the worldshamie is the leader of the worldshamie is the leader of the world
Groans: 2
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Jeff23spl View Post
it is more likely a leak but if you ran the car with it and even if you solved it, it will take a while to learn the changes if you didn't reset the ecu. (loading your map again or disconnected battery and drain remaining voltage.... )
If you aren't sure of the solved leak, you may ask a mechanic.
Agree and disagree with these;
Disagree - If your car is running poorly because of a leak and you fix it you will know right away. What the car "learns" will have little effect on hitting boost targets. I hear this "learning" missinformation all the time.

Fully agree - You should definately ask a mechanic as you had trouble gapping plugs correctly and even messed up reinstalling things you just took off. Maybe mechanical stuff just isn't your thing.
2009 MGM MS3 - / HTP 3"/ COBB AP, FMIC, RMM, & DP / AT Internals / Manley Rods & Pistons / ARP studs & bolts / Koyorad radiator / DM OCCs / ACT Clutch / Bilstein B16 / CS Camber Plates, Camber Arms, & Seals / JBR .125 RSB, BSD, 51R Battery Box & Raider's AD / StopTech Brakes
shamie is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 10-16-2019, 03:07 PM   #8

Jeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by shamie View Post
Agree and disagree with these;
Disagree - If your car is running poorly because of a leak and you fix it you will know right away. What the car "learns" will have little effect on hitting boost targets. I hear this "learning" missinformation all the time.
it cost 0$ to reset the ecu in that kind of case but i agree with you that it will run better with the leak solved....
But you need to agree, It will run even better once the LTFT/STFT will be stabilized again with the new readings...

I'm just not perfectly sure that LTFT/STFT affect maf cal to get load or just maf cal for AFR...if it affect load and you have a tune with some load control remaining to control boost, your wastegate duty and boost will be affected. I could be wrong but it cost nothing to try.

Wife drive 2010 CX7

If you check for leaks and you didn't made a test under compressor pressure, you aren't done checking for leaks....
 Old 10-16-2019, 03:30 PM   #9

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

I gapped the plugs to 0.027” but im still getting underboost i still can’t feel the power
 Old 10-16-2019, 06:55 PM   #10

andale927 has a brilliant futureandale927 has a brilliant futureandale927 has a brilliant futureandale927 has a brilliant futureandale927 has a brilliant futureandale927 has a brilliant futureandale927 has a brilliant futureandale927 has a brilliant futureandale927 has a brilliant futureandale927 has a brilliant futureandale927 has a brilliant future
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Chimichanga View Post
I gapped the plugs to 0.027” but im still getting underboost i still can’t feel the power
Take a datalog and post it, also post an earlier one from when your car felt faster (in the same gear) if you have it.

Power:
BNR S4 v2 Turbocharger | JBR 3.5" Aluminum Intake | JBR Battery Box | GFB Respons BPV |Depo Racing Catless Downpipe | Bosch 3 BAR MAP | JBR 3 Port EBC | Treadstone TR8 Kit w/ Piping | Autotech HPFP Internals | Ultimate Racing Catback | Cobb Accessport V3 | Devils Own Meth Kit (D05) | Custom Tru-Cool Oil Cooler | FREEKTUNED E30 Mix+Meth

Handling:
KW V3 Coilovers | CS Camber Plates | SPC Rear Camber Arms | Michelin Pilot Sport 4S 235/40/18 | Full Damond Motor Mounts | JBR Weighted Shift Knob | JBR Shift Bushings | JBR Rear Sway Bar | Damond Short Shift Plate

Other:
Cobb Polyurethane Exhaust Hangers | Speedline Hood Struts | Corksport CF Hood Scoop | Damond OCC Stage 1 | Corksport E-Brake | Corksport Steering Wheel | Avid.1 AV-20 Wheels 18x8 +35
andale927 is online now   Reply With Quote
 Old 10-16-2019, 07:29 PM   #11

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

datalog49 is where i had the old spark plugs
datalog52 is after
Attached Files
File Type: csv datalog49(before).csv (28.7 KB, 6 views)
File Type: csv datalog52(after).csv (117.8 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by Chimichanga; 10-16-2019 at 07:46 PM.
 Old 10-17-2019, 10:33 AM   #12

lazza151 has a spectacular aura aboutlazza151 has a spectacular aura about
Not Ranked  0 score     

I think you need to re-do the After log starting at about 2750 rpm.
- HPFP
-Cobb RMM
- Turbo Back Custom SS Race Pipe
- K&N Drop in Air Filter
- Bov
-Raiden by Lenso Forge Type Monoblock 18 x 8 ET/ 35 Wheels
- Falken Azenis FK510 235/40 Tyres
- Webasto Sunroof.
lazza151 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 10-17-2019, 11:09 AM   #13

tegxsi is the leader of the worldtegxsi is the leader of the worldtegxsi is the leader of the worldtegxsi is the leader of the worldtegxsi is the leader of the worldtegxsi is the leader of the worldtegxsi is the leader of the worldtegxsi is the leader of the worldtegxsi is the leader of the worldtegxsi is the leader of the worldtegxsi is the leader of the world
Groans: 87
Not Ranked  0 score     

Do you have the proper MAF calibration for the CS 3" intake?

Car looks weak on the before log. Only peak 12 psi?

Less boost than before and very rich AFR in the after log so you probably have a leak.
tegxsi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tegxsi For This Useful Post:
Vansquish (10-17-2019)
 Old 10-17-2019, 11:27 AM   #14
Police - Grammarhead

Vansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the world

datalog49 is where i had the old spark plugs
datalog52 is after
Your two logs show entirely different running conditions. In the first log, you actually took a proper WOT log from 2700rpm-ish to around 6000rpm. In the second log, you only went WOT at around 5500rpm.

You cannot draw, nor expect us to draw any conclusions from the data you've given us. If anything, the portions of the datalogs that do overlap indicate broadly similar operating results given the differences between the boost air temperatures.

You should also make sure to log accelerator pedal position in your logs to make sure that the accelerator pedal position and throttle position track each other properly.

Originally Posted by tegxsi View Post
Do you have the proper MAF calibration for the CS 3" intake?

Car looks weak on the before log. Only peak 12 psi?

Less boost than before and very rich AFR in the after log so you probably have a leak.
You might want to look a bit more carefully. The AFR actually looks quite similar in the same portions of the rev range log-for-log. I'm not convinced there's a leak since it's still hitting 11.32:1 at 5500-ish and tapering down to the 10s as revs rise.

However, @tegxsi; is 100% correct. You do not appear to be running a map that is safe for the modifications on your car. If you have a 3" intake, you need to be using a map that is calibrated for the increased diameter of that intake. The 3" intake is about 28% larger than the OEM intake. The car can only accommodate about a 15% difference before reaching the limits of its internally-adjustable calibration.

Furthermore, the COBB OTS maps are pretty much garbage. You really need a custom tune for the modifications on your car.

In the meantime, check all your hose clamps and make sure you don't have any leaks.

The Following User Says Thank You to Vansquish For This Useful Post:
tegxsi (10-17-2019)
 Old 10-17-2019, 11:58 AM   #15

tegxsi is the leader of the worldtegxsi is the leader of the worldtegxsi is the leader of the worldtegxsi is the leader of the worldtegxsi is the leader of the worldtegxsi is the leader of the worldtegxsi is the leader of the worldtegxsi is the leader of the worldtegxsi is the leader of the worldtegxsi is the leader of the worldtegxsi is the leader of the world
Groans: 87
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Vansquish View Post
You might want to look a bit more carefully. The AFR actually looks quite similar in the same portions of the rev range log-for-log. I'm not convinced there's a leak since it's still hitting 11.32:1 at 5500-ish and tapering down to the 10s as revs rise.
The "before" doesn't look too bad other than the under boost. MAF cal is a mystery but the AFRs look ok.

The "after" log is a mess to look at. I just focused in the areas where the throttle plate is over 76%. Peak boost is ~9psi and the AFR is in the low to mid 10s.
tegxsi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tegxsi For This Useful Post:
Vansquish (10-17-2019)
 Old 10-17-2019, 12:45 PM   #16
Police - Grammarhead

Originally Posted by tegxsi View Post
The "before" doesn't look too bad other than the under boost. MAF cal is a mystery but the AFRs look ok.

The "after" log is a mess to look at. I just focused in the areas where the throttle plate is over 76%. Peak boost is ~9psi and the AFR is in the low to mid 10s.
You're correct. I only hurriedly looked over the "after" log. I didn't notice that there was a second WOT portion around lines 500 - 594. The AFRs are way rich in the second log, and that definitely indicates a boost leak.

The Following User Says Thank You to Vansquish For This Useful Post:
tegxsi (10-17-2019)
 Old 10-17-2019, 06:50 PM   #17

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

If AFR = then i just need a proper tune?
Thank you guys ill post another log in about an hour
 Old 10-17-2019, 08:10 PM   #18
Police - Grammarhead

Well, I've been waiting for an hour and twenty minutes. I'm calling it a night.

Old 10-17-2019, 08:35 PM   #19

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

sorry guys got busy i had some unexpected company.
Attached Files
File Type: csv datalog53.csv (30.3 KB, 3 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to Chimichanga For This Useful Post:
Vansquish (10-18-2019)
 Old 10-17-2019, 10:08 PM   #20

shaneski is the leader of the worldshaneski is the leader of the worldshaneski is the leader of the worldshaneski is the leader of the worldshaneski is the leader of the worldshaneski is the leader of the worldshaneski is the leader of the worldshaneski is the leader of the worldshaneski is the leader of the worldshaneski is the leader of the worldshaneski is the leader of the world
Groaned at 21 Times in 7 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

If the car was running fine why change to colder plugs. Seems the guys that needed them years back when running big boost and advanced timing with e85 or meth to stop blow out every man and there dog thought they should get some to for shitty OTS maps etc.

With ageing engines and blow by etc cold plugs can be a bad choice as they can foul up with oil.
I'd check the clamps on the intercooler hoses since i'm guessing it's a top mount that was taken off to change plugs.
Gen 2 2012 - Precision 6062 Turbo - CPE Exhaust Mani - PTE 46mm EWG - 2NV Industries built Forged bottom end - PNP Head - JMF V2 Intake Mani- Custom DP UR Cat Back - HTP 4 inch intake - TR8 FMIC - Custom FREEKTUNE METH Port Injection - Cobb 3 port EBC- Autotech internals - FREEKTUNED.
shaneski is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 10-17-2019, 10:14 PM   #21

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

It’s prolly cuz of the plugs
Every hose are clamped tight properly
But i will be getting tune from freektune, and hope that fix my underboost problem.
 Old 10-18-2019, 05:43 AM   #22
Police - Grammarhead

Yeah, your AFRs look much more like they did in the first log and seem to be reasonably well controlled. As a result, I'd say that your car is running normally and that, as usual, Cobb's maps suck donkey balls.

Old 10-22-2019, 10:04 AM   #23

Mazda3Blog is a name known to allMazda3Blog is a name known to allMazda3Blog is a name known to allMazda3Blog is a name known to allMazda3Blog is a name known to allMazda3Blog is a name known to all
Not Ranked  0 score     

So my car has downpipe, full sri 3” Corksport, hpfp, and tuned ots from cobb stage 2
I changed my spark plugs to 1 step colder and i noticed that my car is now underboost and my launch is slower now, you know that feeling, it doesn’t break my neck anymore. And i have no idea what’s happening. If u guys know what’s up with my car please tell me.
Several issues you need to take care of here.

1. You're running a 3 inch intake which is not supported by any of the COBB OTS maps. It says right on the Corksport page that you need a custom MAF recalibration. Your MAF cal is way off, I'm surprised your car ran fine before the plug change. You need to buy either an OTS tune designed for your intake or a custom tune.

2. The plugs you selected come with a huge gap out of the box and are a poor choice for 1 step colder. Those plugs come gapped at 0.044 which is way too wide even for stock power levels. Gapping them down to 0.024-0.028 which is where they need to be is too much bend to run reliably.

3. If you want 1 step colder plugs, you need Denso ITV22 which come gapped 0.032 and then reduce the gap to 0.024-0.028. Much less bend required.

Stratified tune, Accessport, Corksport HPFP, Corksport TMIC, Ultimate Racing test pipe, K&N intake, E-focus RMM, Corksport RSB, Corksport steering wheel + ebrake handle, solid shifter bushings, RE-71R tires

2007 Black Speed6 (daily driver)

Freektune, Accessport, Autotech HPFP, CPE TMIC, Ultimate Racing test pipe, Cobb intake + TIP, Corksport rear diff mount, CPE xflex RMM, Corksport rear brake pads, Matt Damond rear caliper bushings, solid shifter bushings, X-ice3 / AS3+ tires

Last edited by Mazda3Blog; 10-22-2019 at 10:58 AM.
Mazda3Blog is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 10-22-2019, 01:45 PM   #24

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Update on my car. I saw a fresh oil on the ground under my car.
Cause of it = unnoticeable misfire? = spark plugs? Or loosed bolts?
I’ll prolly just save this spark plug until i get a higher boost tune.
What’s the best alternative oem spark plug for Mazdaspeed 3 2011?
The Following 2 Users Say NO Thank You to Chimichanga For This Un-useful Post:
andale927 (10-26-2019), Vansquish (10-22-2019)
 Old 10-22-2019, 04:27 PM   #25

Not Ranked  0 score     

are you blaming spark plugs for oil underneath ???

Wife drive 2010 CX7

The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff23spl For This Useful Post:
Vansquish (10-22-2019)
 Old 10-22-2019, 06:15 PM   #26

MSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,897 Times in 1,042 Posts
Groans: 154
Groaned at 47 Times in 31 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Mazda3Blog View Post
Several issues you need to take care of here.

1. You're running a 3 inch intake which is not supported by any of the COBB OTS maps. It says right on the Corksport page that you need a custom MAF recalibration. Your MAF cal is way off, I'm surprised your car ran fine before the plug change. You need to buy either an OTS tune designed for your intake or a custom tune.

2. The plugs you selected come with a huge gap out of the box and are a poor choice for 1 step colder. Those plugs come gapped at 0.044 which is way too wide even for stock power levels. Gapping them down to 0.024-0.028 which is where they need to be is too much bend to run reliably.

3. If you want 1 step colder plugs, you need Denso ITV22 which come gapped 0.032 and then reduce the gap to 0.024-0.028. Much less bend required.
I ran NKG 6510 one step colder plugs (see mod list in my signature) exclusively for ten years gapped down to .026” with no problems whatsoever with 3” catless dp/rp and an 18-19 psi tune tapering to 15 psi at redline with a lot of timing advance (about 18 degrees at redline) and very rich AFR for cylinder cooling, getting 300-310 whp maxing out the K04 on pump 93. They never fouled. Had the opposite problem with wear, having to replace them between 15,000-200,000 miles. I ran them to help against detonation because of the boost and timing.

Not saying they are needed by OP, but whatever the problems he is having with low boost, it ain’t the damned plugs. They are iridium tipped and easily damaged if he scraped the fine wire tip when regapping. The ground strap is plenty capable of gapping down from .044” to .026”.

Sunlight Silver '08 MS3 GT Mods: (Sold 1/25/2019 after 10+ years of ownership)
BNR Stage 1 (to fix smoking K04 turbo), TurboXS 3" Catless DP/RP "Stealthback" into stock CBE, Vibrant 3 inch Ultra Quiet Resonator in RP section, Magnaflow 3 1/2" exhaust tip, Mazdaspeed CAI w/air straightener and K&N conical filter, NGK 6510 Iridium IX one step colder plugs, Hypertech tune, Autotech HPFP internals, Stock BPV (works perfectly), Yokohama Advan Neova AD08R's (stock size on stock rims); Hawk HPS pads; SURE RMM; Grimmspeed EBCS (2 port mode), Bilstein B6's, SPC rear camber arms.

Last edited by MSMS3; 10-23-2019 at 01:17 AM.
MSMS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 10-22-2019, 07:38 PM   #27
Police - Grammarhead

The oil is not because of your misfire, and certainly not because of your spark plugs. I don't know how you could even think that at all.

Old 10-22-2019, 07:56 PM   #28

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Not sure cuz my dodge neon had misfire problems and my oil starts leaking

Ill check tomorrow and see what’s the problem.
Ill try changing my plugs and see if anything changes

Last edited by Chimichanga; 10-22-2019 at 07:56 PM. Reason: MSF Database - Automerged Doublepost
 Old 10-22-2019, 09:42 PM   #29

Mazda3Blog is a name known to allMazda3Blog is a name known to allMazda3Blog is a name known to allMazda3Blog is a name known to allMazda3Blog is a name known to allMazda3Blog is a name known to all
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by MSMS3 View Post
I ran NKG 6510 one step colder plugs (see mod list in my signature) exclusively for ten years gapped down to .026” with no problems whatsoever with 3” catless dp/rp and an 18-19 psi tune tapering to 15 psi at redline with a lot of timing advance (about 18 degrees at redline) and very rich AFR for cylinder cooling, getting 300-310 whp maxing out the K04 on pump 93. They never fouled. Had the opposite problem with wear, having to replace them between 15,000-200,000 miles. I ran them to help against detonation because of the boost and timing.

Not saying they are needed by OP, but whatever the problems he is having with low boost, it ain’t the damned plugs. They are iridium tipped and easily damaged if he scraped the fine wire tip when recapping. The ground strap is plenty capable of gapping down from .044” to .026”.
Agreed likely not a plug issue and not saying the 6510's don't work on this platform, but in his case it seemed like the ITV22 was a better choice than those NGK's considering he didn't know about plug gaps.

Either ITV22 or stock heat range correct plugs would have worked out of the box if he didn't gap them at all with his current mods and tune. 6510's required gapping immediately or wouldn't run right out of the box.

Stratified tune, Accessport, Corksport HPFP, Corksport TMIC, Ultimate Racing test pipe, K&N intake, E-focus RMM, Corksport RSB, Corksport steering wheel + ebrake handle, solid shifter bushings, RE-71R tires

2007 Black Speed6 (daily driver)

Freektune, Accessport, Autotech HPFP, CPE TMIC, Ultimate Racing test pipe, Cobb intake + TIP, Corksport rear diff mount, CPE xflex RMM, Corksport rear brake pads, Matt Damond rear caliper bushings, solid shifter bushings, X-ice3 / AS3+ tires
Mazda3Blog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mazda3Blog For This Useful Post:
MSMS3 (10-23-2019)
 Old 10-23-2019, 01:25 AM   #30

MSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Mazda3Blog View Post
Agreed likely not a plug issue and not saying the 6510's don't work on this platform, but in his case it seemed like the ITV22 was a better choice than those NGK's considering he didn't know about plug gaps.

Either ITV22 or stock heat range correct plugs would have worked out of the box if he didn't gap them at all with his current mods and tune. 6510's required gapping immediately or wouldn't run right out of the box.
Denso IV22s developed a bad reputation here for multiple instances of broken insulators falling into the cylinder heads of our engines. There are several threads here with photos. Most guys now run NGK plugs, either stock or one step colder.

Yes, the NGK 6510 one step colder plugs must be regapped. They would misfire like a MOFO otherwise. They were intended for another OEM application. Always check gap on new plugs, anyway, even stock. Gap is often not correct.

The 6510 should work fine with his mods which include both an aftermarket downpipe and 3” intake, once he gets his crappy tune sorted out and a proper maf cal for the bigger maf housing intake.
Mazda3Blog likes this.

BNR Stage 1 (to fix smoking K04 turbo), TurboXS 3" Catless DP/RP "Stealthback" into stock CBE, Vibrant 3 inch Ultra Quiet Resonator in RP section, Magnaflow 3 1/2" exhaust tip, Mazdaspeed CAI w/air straightener and K&N conical filter, NGK 6510 Iridium IX one step colder plugs, Hypertech tune, Autotech HPFP internals, Stock BPV (works perfectly), Yokohama Advan Neova AD08R's (stock size on stock rims); Hawk HPS pads; SURE RMM; Grimmspeed EBCS (2 port mode), Bilstein B6's, SPC rear camber arms.
 Old 10-23-2019, 01:35 AM   #31

Not Ranked  0 score     

Be very careful gapping them. Do not use a coin type gapper, as it will scrape the iridium plating off of the fine wire tip. Use a common lever type gapping tool with wire feeler gauges available at any auto parts store. Be sure it goes down small enough.

Like this one, which is in millimeters on one side and inches on the other:

To narrow the gap, tap the ground strap on a block of wood. To open the gap use the tool extension on the side to grip the strap like a lever and gently bend it outward. Do not get it close to the center insulator.

Last edited by MSMS3; 10-23-2019 at 02:04 AM.
 Old 10-23-2019, 07:50 AM   #32

Not Ranked  0 score     

Sorry but neither your neon or mazda will leak oil because of misfire unless it break a rod and make a hole into the bloc to spill oil....
If you believe this, you should stop working on your cars and let mechanic do it for you.

You can have a valve cover gasket going bad and leak around the plugs but it isn't related to misfire at all.

Wife drive 2010 CX7

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jeff23spl For This Useful Post:
MSMS3 (10-23-2019), Vansquish (10-23-2019)
 Old 10-25-2019, 05:38 PM   #33

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

-Update
it wasn't the motor oil. it was the freaking power steer and it is leaking for some reason
not sure why.
u guys are right oil leaks are non related to misfire or anything.
And my underboost problem was because of the that grabage ots tune from cobb.
definitely would get a custom asap before the winter comes.
-another update for my spark plugs
not sure if ngk 6510 is causing 6+ kr and base on my research that is not good.
bought another ngk that's pre-gapped to 0.027" after the test run i didn't get more
than 4+ kr.
I think my problem is solved now, but i have to figure it out why my power steering is
leaking.
Thank you everyone for your time looking into my logs and helping me.
I know I may not be a great mechanic but the best part about this is learning
from my mistakes.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chimichanga For This Useful Post:
Db09ms3 (10-25-2019)
 Old 10-28-2019, 06:38 AM   #34

Not Ranked  0 score     

for kr you need to look at it only under boost condition in a log....instant peak kr on the AP is meaningless...Some is even created on purpose by the ecu to find the best timing under cruising condition for fuel economy....
If you have 4-6 degree under boost it is another story that worth to figure it out

Wife drive 2010 CX7

Old 10-28-2019, 07:31 AM   #35
Police - Grammarhead

What he said ^^

At low throttle applications, under cruising conditions, and so forth, the ECU increases ignition timing until the engine begins to knock. Once knock is detected, the ECU decreases the ignition timing until the knock disappears, and then starts increasing the ignition timing again.

This is done to improve fuel economy under light-load conditions.

It is not uncommon to see very high knock retard values at low throttle. The only knock that matters to you is the knock that happens under high throttle, high load conditions.

In any case, you'll need to datalog to see where and when your car is generating knock.

Old 10-28-2019, 01:30 PM   #36

freshtee is on a distinguished road
Not Ranked  0 score     

I'm really curious what these datalogs will show actually.

Cobbtuning:
AP V3 + Stage 2 OEM Map

Misc:
TurboSmart Dual-Port BOV // eLine OEM Rotors // Denso ITV22 Spark Plugs // Rally Armor Mud Flaps // JDM Rain Guards // JBR Cylindrical Shift Knob // DDM HID Kit 55W, 8K Headlight + Fogs // Lamin-X Foglight and headlight covers
freshtee is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 10-28-2019, 07:44 PM   #37

Not Ranked  0 score     

-Update
it wasn't the motor oil. it was the freaking power steer and it is leaking for some reason
not sure why.
u guys are right oil leaks are non related to misfire or anything.
And my underboost problem was because of the that grabage ots tune from cobb.
definitely would get a custom asap before the winter comes.
-another update for my spark plugs
not sure if ngk 6510 is causing 6+ kr and base on my research that is not good.
bought another ngk that's pre-gapped to 0.027" after the test run i didn't get more
than 4+ kr.
I think my problem is solved now, but i have to figure it out why my power steering is
leaking.
Thank you everyone for your time looking into my logs and helping me.
I know I may not be a great mechanic but the best part about this is learning
from my mistakes.
6+ under what conditions? What number “other NGK” plug? Not advocating one step colder, but the purpose of colder plugs is to reduce the likelihood of KR at high boost high timing advance, at the possible expense of fouling under less aggressive driving, so less KR with normal heat range plugs seems odd.

As others have said, you will get KR when cruising. Look for KR conditions when running wide open throttle and if present, seek to get them under control.

Last edited by MSMS3; 10-28-2019 at 08:00 PM.