register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3 MZR Gen2 Forums (2010-2013)
> Gen2 MS3 General Discussion

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By g00s3y
  • 1 Post By GTP44
  • 1 Post By GTP44

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 09-24-2017, 05:03 AM   #1

GTP44 has a spectacular aura aboutGTP44 has a spectacular aura aboutGTP44 has a spectacular aura about
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default Unmodified 2013 SPEED3

I live in South Florida and bought a 2013 Speed3 with 37,000 unmodified miles on it 3 days before Irma.
We made it thru fine.
I want to start doing a few mods to it now.
I ordered an adjustable sway bar and bracket kit from Corksport,
and a Stage 2 performance kit from Cobb.
I am very pleased with my purchase so far....no buyers remorse.!
One thing I have been looking at is a replacement shift knob.
If anyone has a cool one let me know where it came from so I can check it out, the Cobb did not thrill me too much.
GTP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 09-24-2017, 05:36 AM   #2

Djohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,515 Times in 1,374 Posts
Groans: 112
Groaned at 9 Times in 8 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Welcome.
The go: Depo racing: downpipe (100 cell count), custom: FMIC. HTP: 3.5" intake, under route piping. JBR: shortshifter, RSB. Autotech: HPFP internals. Go fast bits: hybrid BPV, VMR: 18x8.5 V710s, Bridgestone: potenza re760 245/40/18, KW: v3 coilovers,SPC: camber arms, freektuned, Damond Motorsports: dual OCC, PMM, PCV plate, RMM, TMM, EGR delete, FoSt mani, Corksport: battery box(fuck this thing), injector seals, Cobb: EBCS, AP v3. AEM: methanol. Seibon: carbon fiber hood. UR: catback. Bosch: 3bar. BNR: s4, DNP: EWG manifold, Tial: 38mm mvs EWG.

The show: 5% tint all around, 50% tint windshield, rally armor mudflaps, Sony XAV64BT touchscreen headunit, katskin leather interior, CPE relocation plate, Maisonvi weighted shift knob, Corksport hoodscoop, black housing headlights.

Soon:built motor
Djohns is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 09-24-2017, 06:03 AM   #3

JSmith is the leader of the worldJSmith is the leader of the worldJSmith is the leader of the worldJSmith is the leader of the worldJSmith is the leader of the worldJSmith is the leader of the worldJSmith is the leader of the worldJSmith is the leader of the worldJSmith is the leader of the worldJSmith is the leader of the worldJSmith is the leader of the world
Groans: 103
Groaned at 6 Times in 6 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

The Perm knobs are nice, if a little pricey.

I would suggest a professional tune before a shift knob if you asked.
JSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 09-24-2017, 06:57 AM   #4

speed23 is the leader of the worldspeed23 is the leader of the worldspeed23 is the leader of the worldspeed23 is the leader of the worldspeed23 is the leader of the worldspeed23 is the leader of the worldspeed23 is the leader of the worldspeed23 is the leader of the worldspeed23 is the leader of the worldspeed23 is the leader of the worldspeed23 is the leader of the world
Groans: 3
Groaned at 3 Times in 2 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Time to get a custom tune; best $150 you will ever spend!
speed23 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 09-24-2017, 07:02 AM   #5

g00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,166 Times in 964 Posts
Groans: 439
Groaned at 11 Times in 11 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

So much better could have been bought with the money you wasted on that cobb stg2 "kit".

Where in South FL?
andale927 likes this.
 Old 09-24-2017, 10:08 AM   #6

GTP44 has a spectacular aura aboutGTP44 has a spectacular aura aboutGTP44 has a spectacular aura about
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by g00s3y View Post
So much better could have been bought with the money you wasted on that cobb stg2 "kit".

Where in South FL?
When I bought this car I told my friend in the auto repair business "If you hate this car don't tell me"
I asked many mechanics what brand car they liked and could not get two of them to agree.
I did some looking thru this and other sites and saw the question about where to start modifying ...and they usually got a sarcastic answer.
So if it was really money WASTED like you said It wont be the first time for me.

I still plan to install the stage 2 kit I would like a professional tune for sure, are there any good tuners around Palm Beach County.?
 Old 09-24-2017, 11:02 AM   #7

speed23 is the leader of the worldspeed23 is the leader of the worldspeed23 is the leader of the worldspeed23 is the leader of the worldspeed23 is the leader of the worldspeed23 is the leader of the worldspeed23 is the leader of the worldspeed23 is the leader of the worldspeed23 is the leader of the worldspeed23 is the leader of the worldspeed23 is the leader of the world
Groans: 3
Groaned at 3 Times in 2 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Get an e-tune as they have done thousands of mazdaspeeds, not a local in person tune who have maybe done a few.
speed23 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 09-24-2017, 11:13 AM   #8

Varomnia is the leader of the worldVaromnia is the leader of the worldVaromnia is the leader of the worldVaromnia is the leader of the worldVaromnia is the leader of the worldVaromnia is the leader of the worldVaromnia is the leader of the worldVaromnia is the leader of the worldVaromnia is the leader of the worldVaromnia is the leader of the worldVaromnia is the leader of the world
Groans: 2
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by GTP44 View Post
When I bought this car I told my friend in the auto repair business "If you hate this car don't tell me"
I asked many mechanics what brand car they liked and could not get two of them to agree.
I did some looking thru this and other sites and saw the question about where to start modifying ...and they usually got a sarcastic answer.
So if it was really money WASTED like you said It wont be the first time for me.

I still plan to install the stage 2 kit I would like a professional tune for sure, are there any good tuners around Palm Beach County.?
It's not a complete waste, just, there were better alternatives. What is going to hurt you in the long run is if you have end-game goals that make you have to replace this stage 2 package right out of the gate.

With that said, what are your goals, and what are your end-game goals?

Edit: A little hope for you, the stage 2 package from Cobb, only complaint I have for it is the rear motor mount. I prefer something quite a bit stronger, but, again, evaluate your goals, and if you're just wanting a DD with decent power, you're set and shouldn't be bothered by your purchases.
Varomnia is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 09-24-2017, 11:17 AM   #9

manu is a glorious beacon of lightmanu is a glorious beacon of lightmanu is a glorious beacon of lightmanu is a glorious beacon of lightmanu is a glorious beacon of lightmanu is a glorious beacon of light
Groaned at 7 Times in 5 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Wow, you found a quite low miles Speed. Congrats and have fun mod ing it!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
manu is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 09-24-2017, 07:36 PM   #10

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Varomnia View Post
It's not a complete waste, just, there were better alternatives. What is going to hurt you in the long run is if you have end-game goals that make you have to replace this stage 2 package right out of the gate.

With that said, what are your goals, and what are your end-game goals?

Edit: A little hope for you, the stage 2 package from Cobb, only complaint I have for it is the rear motor mount. I prefer something quite a bit stronger, but, again, evaluate your goals, and if you're just wanting a DD with decent power, you're set and shouldn't be bothered by your purchases.

One of the reasons I bought the Mazda was I needed more seats.
I have a race day car (see avatar) Consulier GTP LX Shelby powered, and a new 2017 Ford Transit Eco-Boost both only have front seats.
So yes the end game is a fun daily driver with some good power.
 Old 09-24-2017, 07:49 PM   #11

Varomnia is the leader of the worldVaromnia is the leader of the worldVaromnia is the leader of the worldVaromnia is the leader of the worldVaromnia is the leader of the worldVaromnia is the leader of the worldVaromnia is the leader of the worldVaromnia is the leader of the worldVaromnia is the leader of the worldVaromnia is the leader of the worldVaromnia is the leader of the world
Groans: 2
Not Ranked  0 score     

I think you'll be just fine then. Slap a good tune on that baby by one of our etuners, maybe also have an ethanol tune as well for great corn juice smells, and I think you'll really start to love the car even more.
Varomnia is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 09-25-2017, 04:19 AM   #12

KiwiFlavor is the leader of the worldKiwiFlavor is the leader of the worldKiwiFlavor is the leader of the worldKiwiFlavor is the leader of the worldKiwiFlavor is the leader of the worldKiwiFlavor is the leader of the worldKiwiFlavor is the leader of the worldKiwiFlavor is the leader of the worldKiwiFlavor is the leader of the worldKiwiFlavor is the leader of the worldKiwiFlavor is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,541 Times in 943 Posts
Groans: 18
Groaned at 6 Times in 5 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Welcome!

If you want good quality shift knobs, hit up Maisonvi shift knobs on FB. Excellent products and customer service.

BNR S3 - JBR Tru 3.0" - CP-E TMIC - Corksport catless DP - Corksport catted race pipe - Forge V2 - Autotech internals + AP v3 - Swift springs - Enkei RPF1 17x9 + 45 (5mm JBR spacers in the front) - Freektune 320/346
KiwiFlavor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KiwiFlavor For This Useful Post:
WAMBUSHHHH! (09-25-2017)
 Old 09-29-2017, 05:15 AM   #13

Jonb82 is the leader of the worldJonb82 is the leader of the worldJonb82 is the leader of the worldJonb82 is the leader of the worldJonb82 is the leader of the worldJonb82 is the leader of the worldJonb82 is the leader of the worldJonb82 is the leader of the worldJonb82 is the leader of the worldJonb82 is the leader of the worldJonb82 is the leader of the world
Groans: 1
Groaned at 24 Times in 9 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Raceseng knobs are top notch as well. Albeit a little bit pricey

Sent while probably pooping
CS TIP/SRI CS RMM CS Sexy Steering Wheel CS Springs & Struts CS Shirt Throw Shifter CS Shifter Bushings CS TBE CS Boost Tubes CP-e TMIC HKS BOV in resirc DM Vented OCC DM TMM DM PMM DM SSP Autotech Internals Custom E33 Freaktune
Jonb82 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 09-29-2017, 10:13 AM   #14

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Many thanks for all the replies.
I looked at the Maisonvi shift knobs they were awesome.
I went with a Raceseng I liked the option of no numbers on it.
I am anticipating the stage 2 Cobb install.
Cobb says the access port comes with a stage 2 MAP.
I plan to use that after the install then I will bring it to local tuner with a dyno.
 Old 09-29-2017, 10:13 AM   #15

anavrinIV is the leader of the worldanavrinIV is the leader of the worldanavrinIV is the leader of the worldanavrinIV is the leader of the worldanavrinIV is the leader of the worldanavrinIV is the leader of the worldanavrinIV is the leader of the worldanavrinIV is the leader of the worldanavrinIV is the leader of the worldanavrinIV is the leader of the worldanavrinIV is the leader of the world
Thanked 4,457 Times in 1,982 Posts
Groans: 63
Groaned at 43 Times in 22 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

You live in florida. If you like the skin on your palms avoid a metal shift knob at all costs. I use a COBB (delrin) and love it but if you prefer weighted corksport makes a leather one. Aluminum will sear your hand.

"Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you."
anavrinIV is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 09-29-2017, 12:50 PM   #16

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by anavrinIV View Post
You live in florida. If you like the skin on your palms avoid a metal shift knob at all costs. I use a COBB (delrin) and love it but if you prefer weighted corksport makes a leather one. Aluminum will sear your hand.
If it is 120 degrees in the car aren't the steering wheel and the shift knob the same temperature....what is the real difference between black leather and silver metal.?
What weighs more "A pound of feathers or a pound of lead". kind of deal, the way I see it.
 Old 09-30-2017, 12:41 PM   #17

knocturnal has a reputation beyond reputeknocturnal has a reputation beyond reputeknocturnal has a reputation beyond reputeknocturnal has a reputation beyond reputeknocturnal has a reputation beyond reputeknocturnal has a reputation beyond reputeknocturnal has a reputation beyond reputeknocturnal has a reputation beyond reputeknocturnal has a reputation beyond reputeknocturnal has a reputation beyond reputeknocturnal has a reputation beyond repute
Not Ranked  0 score     

If it is 120 degrees in the car aren't the steering wheel and the shift knob the same temperature....what is the real difference between black leather and silver metal.?
What weighs more "A pound of feathers or a pound of lead". kind of deal, the way I see it.
lol are you serious...

One conducts and retains heat a lot more than the other. I Have the Cobb Knob and I like it. I will probably go heavier later down the line

Mods:
BNR S4 V2 // XS Power Manifold V3 // JBR Tru-3.0" Aluminum Intake // Devils Own WMI D10 NOZZLE// JBR DISI Bypass Valve Hose // JBR 70duro RMM // JBR SSB // JBR SSP // JBR Coolant Bypass Kit // DM EGR Full Delete Kit // DM TMM // DM PMM // COBB AP V2 // CNT Racing Catless Downpipe // CP-E TMIC // CP-E Injector Seals // SP63 Valve Cover Breather // Custom 3" Magnaflow exhaust //One Step Colder NGK Plugs // Bosch 3bar Map sensor // Grimmspeed EBCS // MD OCC // MD PCV Plate // Stop Tech Braided Lines // Autotech Internals // Forge BPV V1 // Corksport V2 RSB // Eibach PRO-kit

Stratified Tuned Stage 2 OTS+
273whp/330wtq

SnailD Tuned on Meth
316whp/359wtq

Purple Drank Tuned BNR S4 V2 and 100%Meth
412whp/373wtq

knocturnal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to knocturnal For This Useful Post:
Bexar (10-09-2017)
 Old 09-30-2017, 10:20 PM   #18

Fstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the world
Groans: 21
Not Ranked  0 score     

Many thanks for all the replies.
I looked at the Maisonvi shift knobs they were awesome.
I went with a Raceseng I liked the option of no numbers on it.
I am anticipating the stage 2 Cobb install.
Cobb says the access port comes with a stage 2 MAP.
I plan to use that after the install then I will bring it to local tuner with a dyno.
Don't use the COBB tune. Contact one of the eTuners on here and have them send you a base map. A few datalogs and flashes later and you'll be all set and much happier.
Versatuner, 3-bar MAP, ITV22, CP-e TMIC
CS Turbo/DP/RP/HPFP/BPV/R-DiffMount
White Widow F-DiffMount, Whiteline RSB
Rear Russian Bushings, Poly FSB Bushings
Magnaflow CBE, ACT 6-puck/Streetlite
JBR Tru-3.5/3-port EBCS/EGR-D
Damond RMM/PMM/OCC/PCV Plate
Other rides:
2014 F-150 XLT SuperCrew Ecoboost
2002 Tacoma ExtCab 2.4L 5spd 2WD
2004 Olds Alero ECOtec 2.2 - Broken
History:
2008 GSX-R 1000 - Stolen
1988 RX-7 TII - Sold (13.467 @ 105.44)
1985 Camaro - Sold (est. 265bhp 5.7 swap, Edelbrock intake & Hooker headers)
http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/forum/redirect-to/?redirect=http%3A%2F%2Fcse.google.com%2Fcse%3Fcx%3 D007197676933930921148%3Apwlh1e31oxu%23gsc.tab%3D0
Fstrnyou is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fstrnyou For This Useful Post:
andale927 (10-01-2017), danb (10-05-2017)
 Old 10-01-2017, 08:42 AM   #19

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Is every reply meant to make me second guess my decisions.?
In my past I have discovered there are multiple ways to get to the "finish line".
First was the waste of money on the COBB stage 2 kit.
Second the wrong shift knob for Florida weather…..I have lived in South Florida for 30+ years I kind of know the weather here.
Now it is don't use the COBB tune ,why would they recommend it if it were junk.?
I don't have a problem taking advice but my father used to say don't complain unless you have a solution.
I would like the best performance possible.
Fstrnyou you say "don't use the COBB tune" and just recommend an E-Tune from "here" that is awful vague.
After you tried both I guess you had better luck with an E -Tune vs a Dyno tune.?
AveryPlaysBass likes this.
 Old 10-01-2017, 08:46 AM   #20

MaxSpeed13 is a jewel in the roughMaxSpeed13 is a jewel in the roughMaxSpeed13 is a jewel in the roughMaxSpeed13 is a jewel in the rough
Not Ranked  0 score     

In my past I have discovered there are multiple ways to get to the "finish line".
Second the wrong shift knob for Florida weather…..I have lived in South Florida for 30+ years I kind of know the weather here.
Now it is don't use the COBB tune ,why would they recommend it if it were junk.?
I don't have a problem taking advice but my father used to say don't complain unless you have a solution.
Fstrnyou you say "don't use the COBB tune" and just recommend an E-Tune from "here" that is awful vague.
After you tried both I guess you had better luck with an E -Tune vs a Dyno tune.?
@GTP44 I would do some research on e-tune, or tuning in general on here. I am sure there are many good threads that have tons of information on them. They will go more in depth then waiting for a response here.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
MaxSpeed13 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 10-01-2017, 08:47 AM   #21

Fstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the world
Groans: 21
Not Ranked  0 score     

If it's a legit dyno tune from COBB, you might be fine. I thought you were getting a run of the mill tune that you download or they email to you.
Versatuner, 3-bar MAP, ITV22, CP-e TMIC
CS Turbo/DP/RP/HPFP/BPV/R-DiffMount
White Widow F-DiffMount, Whiteline RSB
Rear Russian Bushings, Poly FSB Bushings
Magnaflow CBE, ACT 6-puck/Streetlite
JBR Tru-3.5/3-port EBCS/EGR-D
Damond RMM/PMM/OCC/PCV Plate
Other rides:
2014 F-150 XLT SuperCrew Ecoboost
2002 Tacoma ExtCab 2.4L 5spd 2WD
2004 Olds Alero ECOtec 2.2 - Broken
History:
2008 GSX-R 1000 - Stolen
1988 RX-7 TII - Sold (13.467 @ 105.44)
1985 Camaro - Sold (est. 265bhp 5.7 swap, Edelbrock intake & Hooker headers)
http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/forum/redirect-to/?redirect=http%3A%2F%2Fcse.google.com%2Fcse%3Fcx%3 D007197676933930921148%3Apwlh1e31oxu%23gsc.tab%3D0
Fstrnyou is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 10-01-2017, 09:29 AM   #22

Djohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

So you're going to go to Cobb headquarters in Texas for a dyno tune?
The go: Depo racing: downpipe (100 cell count), custom: FMIC. HTP: 3.5" intake, under route piping. JBR: shortshifter, RSB. Autotech: HPFP internals. Go fast bits: hybrid BPV, VMR: 18x8.5 V710s, Bridgestone: potenza re760 245/40/18, KW: v3 coilovers,SPC: camber arms, freektuned, Damond Motorsports: dual OCC, PMM, PCV plate, RMM, TMM, EGR delete, FoSt mani, Corksport: battery box(fuck this thing), injector seals, Cobb: EBCS, AP v3. AEM: methanol. Seibon: carbon fiber hood. UR: catback. Bosch: 3bar. BNR: s4, DNP: EWG manifold, Tial: 38mm mvs EWG.

The show: 5% tint all around, 50% tint windshield, rally armor mudflaps, Sony XAV64BT touchscreen headunit, katskin leather interior, CPE relocation plate, Maisonvi weighted shift knob, Corksport hoodscoop, black housing headlights.

Old 10-01-2017, 11:42 AM   #23

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Djohns View Post
So you're going to go to Cobb headquarters in Texas for a dyno tune?
There is a COBB approved tuner in WPB Florida.
They say that they have done lots of Speed3's.
I would hope if they have COBB's approval and have tuned plenty of our cars it would be helpful.
I searched this site and others but I can't find an answer to why starting with the MAP that comes with the COBB Access Port is no good.?
 Old 10-01-2017, 11:59 AM   #24

Not Ranked  0 score     

There is a COBB approved tuner in WPB Florida.
They say that they have done lots of Speed3's.
I would hope if they have COBB's approval and have tuned plenty of our cars it would be helpful.
I searched this site and others but I can't find an answer to why starting with the MAP that comes with the COBB Access Port is no good.?
The tunes aren't that good because they're a universal tune meant to "work" on all speeds no matter climate, altitude and all that good stuff that factors in. Plus E tunes are generally better because you tune the car for how it acts on the street, not on the dyno. It may take longer to tune, but it's well worth it.

Old 10-03-2017, 06:47 AM   #25

anavrinIV is the leader of the worldanavrinIV is the leader of the worldanavrinIV is the leader of the worldanavrinIV is the leader of the worldanavrinIV is the leader of the worldanavrinIV is the leader of the worldanavrinIV is the leader of the worldanavrinIV is the leader of the worldanavrinIV is the leader of the worldanavrinIV is the leader of the worldanavrinIV is the leader of the world
Thanked 4,457 Times in 1,982 Posts
Groans: 63
Groaned at 43 Times in 22 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

you're assuming it's just the heat inside the car. If your car is in the sun a mass of metal will absorb far more heat than leather and/or plastic. Aluminum will also transfer heat faster (into your flesh) than leather or plastic. The choice is yours to make but I've had aluminum knobs here in NC (not florida hot but we spend the summers in the 90s-100 and sunny) and I will never have one again.

Source: am engineer. Can physics.

Regarding tunes, I run an OTS COBB tune on my car. I have for 2 years. I ran one for a long time on my previous speed as well. It's not the most powerful tune but I've never had an issue, and I regularly drive through various altitudes and through all weather (save for below 0 temps). They have served me well as daily driver tunes.

"Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you."
anavrinIV is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 10-03-2017, 10:12 AM   #26

AveryPlaysBass has a reputation beyond reputeAveryPlaysBass has a reputation beyond reputeAveryPlaysBass has a reputation beyond reputeAveryPlaysBass has a reputation beyond reputeAveryPlaysBass has a reputation beyond reputeAveryPlaysBass has a reputation beyond reputeAveryPlaysBass has a reputation beyond reputeAveryPlaysBass has a reputation beyond reputeAveryPlaysBass has a reputation beyond reputeAveryPlaysBass has a reputation beyond reputeAveryPlaysBass has a reputation beyond repute
Groaned at 6 Times in 4 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Get Freektuned/PurpleDrank/Stratified tuned and call it a day. Cobb OTS is fine, but you aren't getting the most out of your car that way. You can have an e-tune that's just as safe if not safer, and make more power. Never been to a dyno shop before but I'm lazy and would rather flash my car myself and just email files than drive to a shop and have them mess with my car. Less variables involved, in the physical sense.

2012 MS3 w/Tech Package

Engine: CS SRI/Tip, AutoTech internals, Damond Banjo Bolt, JBR Boost Tubes, E-Focus Mount, CS Racepipe, Tuned by FREEKTUNE

Trans: CS insert, CS bushings, Damond Shifter Plate

Suspension: Koni Orange with OEM springs, Konig Controls 17x7 with 225/45 Conti DW's

Appearance: CP-E Relocation Plate, Smoked Taillights, Bumper Guard, CS Steering wheel/Shift knob/E-brake handle,dumb stickers
AveryPlaysBass is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 10-03-2017, 12:14 PM   #27

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by AveryPlaysBass View Post
Get Freektuned/PurpleDrank/Stratified tuned and call it a day. Cobb OTS is fine, but you aren't getting the most out of your car that way. You can have an e-tune that's just as safe if not safer, and make more power. Never been to a dyno shop before but I'm lazy and would rather flash my car myself and just email files than drive to a shop and have them mess with my car. Less variables involved, in the physical sense.
I am leaning towards Freektune .
It sounds like most folks here satisfied with them.
All the parts are here and just teasing me to take some time off to install them.
 Old 10-03-2017, 12:36 PM   #28

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by AveryPlaysBass View Post
I'd actually avoid stratified these days, he gave up on the speed platform for the ST platform. His tunes aren't what they used to be since he just doesn't care anymore.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Djohns For This Useful Post:
AveryPlaysBass (10-03-2017), danb (10-05-2017)
 Old 10-04-2017, 06:12 AM   #29

Jonb82 is the leader of the worldJonb82 is the leader of the worldJonb82 is the leader of the worldJonb82 is the leader of the worldJonb82 is the leader of the worldJonb82 is the leader of the worldJonb82 is the leader of the worldJonb82 is the leader of the worldJonb82 is the leader of the worldJonb82 is the leader of the worldJonb82 is the leader of the world
Groaned at 24 Times in 9 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Djohns View Post
I'd actually avoid stratified these days, he gave up on the speed platform for the ST platform. His tunes aren't what they used to be since he just doesn't care anymore.

I agree on the Stratified. I had an OTS+ tune over a year ago and kept getting knock. I told them about this and they said I have a boost leak and to basically fuck off. After concluding I definitely did not have one, went to Freaktune and got a custom one and have been happy ever since.

Sent while probably pooping
CS TIP/SRI CS RMM CS Sexy Steering Wheel CS Springs & Struts CS Shirt Throw Shifter CS Shifter Bushings CS TBE CS Boost Tubes CP-e TMIC HKS BOV in resirc DM Vented OCC DM TMM DM PMM DM SSP Autotech Internals Custom E33 Freaktune
Jonb82 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jonb82 For This Useful Post:
AveryPlaysBass (10-04-2017), danb (10-05-2017)
 Old 10-04-2017, 09:56 PM   #30

thatguyinms has disabled reputation
Not Ranked  0 score     

+1 on the Freektune. As others have said, eTunes are mapped specifically for the nuances of your car, your climate, etc. OTS Cobb tunes are generic and while they’ll work, you aren’t getting the most out of your car’s mods.

Side note: where is the Cobb tuner in WPB? I’ll be moving there on the 21st of this month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Power:
HTP 3.5" intake - ETC TMIC - UR catless DP - UR testpipe - Corksport axleback
Supporting:
Corksport HPFP - fresh blasted valves- 3Bar MAP+pigtail - Damond EGR full delete - Damond Trio - TB Coolant bypass - 51r battery w/box - Corksport shift bushings -
Known Fails:
Florida Heat - stock k04 - stock BPV - OEM Midpipe - shitty ebay catchcan
thatguyinms is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 10-07-2017, 10:20 AM   #31

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by thatguyinms View Post
+1 on the Freektune. As others have said, eTunes are mapped specifically for the nuances of your car, your climate, etc. OTS Cobb tunes are generic and while they’ll work, you aren’t getting the most out of your car’s mods.

Side note: where is the Cobb tuner in WPB? I’ll be moving there on the 21st of this month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The COBB tuner in WPB is Prostuning it used to be Japtrix.
I called and talked to them about installing the stage 2 package and got no call back.
I hate forcing someone to do a job they don't want to do…I usually doesn't turn out well.
I took some time and did it myself it wasn't the easiest, but I got to know the car much better.!
The first map from Freektune is installed.
Its great so far, I can't wait till it is dialed in.
So I guess the title of this thread need to be changed .
tanuknuk likes this.