register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3 MZR Gen2 Forums (2010-2013)
> Gen2 MS3 General Discussion

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!
Like Tree1976Likes

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 05-17-2015, 07:42 AM   #7841

AwAfrican is the leader of the worldAwAfrican is the leader of the worldAwAfrican is the leader of the worldAwAfrican is the leader of the worldAwAfrican is the leader of the worldAwAfrican is the leader of the worldAwAfrican is the leader of the worldAwAfrican is the leader of the worldAwAfrican is the leader of the worldAwAfrican is the leader of the worldAwAfrican is the leader of the world
Groans: 8
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by elementality199 View Post
thanks for the heads up. out of everything i got. thats the only thing I'm not looking forward to installing
Take your time I couple of us had an install party for them yesterday got 2 done in somewhere around 4.5 hrs and 12 beer later...so naturally the beer added time.
it's honestly not that bad follow the instructions cs has are pretty detailed ones

Originally Posted by speedfreak44 View Post
It isn't hard at all don't worry about it. Just do not overlube everything. A little goes a long way. Zip tie the bottom line so the bolt doesn't fall down in the engine bay. Be clean. New gloves often. I used a normal hammer and tapped nicely on the tappet to seat it. No damage happened. When using the screwdriver method it wasn't giving enough force to seat it. If worried you can use a small piece of wood between the surfaces just make sure everything is really clean before installing. Better yet use a hard plastic mallet.
Exactly what we used yesterday was a rubber mallet

Last edited by AwAfrican; 05-17-2015 at 07:42 AM. Reason: MSF Database - Automerged Doublepost
AwAfrican is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AwAfrican For This Useful Post:
Awal (05-17-2015), elementality199 (05-17-2015)
 Old 05-17-2015, 07:42 AM   #7842

MortalMechanica has a reputation beyond reputeMortalMechanica has a reputation beyond reputeMortalMechanica has a reputation beyond reputeMortalMechanica has a reputation beyond reputeMortalMechanica has a reputation beyond reputeMortalMechanica has a reputation beyond reputeMortalMechanica has a reputation beyond reputeMortalMechanica has a reputation beyond reputeMortalMechanica has a reputation beyond reputeMortalMechanica has a reputation beyond reputeMortalMechanica has a reputation beyond repute
Groans: 14
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by MammaFreed3 View Post
bought new wheel cleaner, Eagle One. Best cleaner I've used so far, i just wish the spray was a little wider, you use up a lot of the stuff because the foam comes out in a narrow stream. $6 goes pretty quickly but cleaner wheels make the car go way faster.
I just went through a bottle of the stuff. Miracle juice. and I can't quite place the smell.. seems familiar...

Well first 5000 mile oil change since I got her. Kept going with the Rotella T6. Really having a hard time with that oil canister thing (my first car with one of those)

Previous owner nearly rounded it out and I didn't help it this time. Replacement on the next Oil change.

Also I realize how annoying those little side moldings are.... They might have to go. Considering I just had to drop some money to have a PDR shop smooth out a dent that some fuck put in my door, the moldings do jack fuck except look cheap.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mazdaspeed3.jpg (179.4 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by MortalMechanica; 05-17-2015 at 08:25 AM.
MortalMechanica is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MortalMechanica For This Useful Post:
Awal (05-17-2015)
 Old 05-17-2015, 08:27 AM   #7843

Awal is the leader of the worldAwal is the leader of the worldAwal is the leader of the worldAwal is the leader of the worldAwal is the leader of the worldAwal is the leader of the worldAwal is the leader of the worldAwal is the leader of the worldAwal is the leader of the worldAwal is the leader of the worldAwal is the leader of the world
Groans: 1
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by MortalMechanica View Post
I just went through a bottle of the stuff. Miracle juice. and I can't quite place the smell.. seems familiar...

Well first 5000 mile oil change since I got her. Kept going with the Rotella T6. Really having a hard time with that oil canister thing (my first car with one of those)

Previous owner nearly rounded it out and I didn't help it this time. Replacement on the next Oil change.
Was the smell rootbeer? I worked in a large detail shop when I was younger and the rim cleaner always smelt like rootbeer, maybe a little like Dr. Pepper.

Sucks the prev owner almost wrecked your thread for your oil filter, people so often overtighten them. Always coat the new rubber gasket with a tad a fresh oil, screw it on hand tight snug, then give it 1/4-1/2 turn and it should never be too hard to remove.

2013 LSM W/ Tech
CORKSPORTFull Race RMM CORKSPORTPMM CORKSPORTTMM CORKSPORTTMIC(temporarily uninstalled for Warranty BS) CORKSPORTECU RELOCATION BATTERY BOX(temporarily uninstalled for Warranty BS) CORKSPORTSSP CORKSPORTSHIFTER BUSHINGS CORKSPORT3.5" POWER SERIES SRI/TIP(temporarily uninstalled for Warranty BS) CORKSPORTBPV(temporarily uninstalled for Warranty BS) CORKSPORTRSB @ Full Stiff CORKSPORTMid Chassis Brace CORKSPORTHood Struts + decals for 20whp CORKSPORTLicense Plate Frames
COBBAP v3 w/ Window Mount
AUTOTECHHPFP INTERNALS

ToBeInstalled:
CORKSPORTFull Catless TBE, Rear Trunk Brace, Adjustable FELs, Cold Air Box (modified for 3.5")
dbaDBA42962S Front and Rear Rotors
StopTechRear Braided SS brake lines
JBROCC & VTA OCC kit, EGR BO, Boost Tubes
Cooling MistWMI kit
StratifiedCustom Tune (as soon as TBE is on)

On Deck
wilwoodFastbrakes DP4front Caliper kit (w/ bp-10 pads and braided SS fr lines)
Hawk PerformanceHB478F.605 or HB478Z.605 rear pads
BilsteinB16s
Awal is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 05-17-2015, 09:16 AM   #7844

Finchee has a reputation beyond reputeFinchee has a reputation beyond reputeFinchee has a reputation beyond reputeFinchee has a reputation beyond reputeFinchee has a reputation beyond reputeFinchee has a reputation beyond reputeFinchee has a reputation beyond reputeFinchee has a reputation beyond reputeFinchee has a reputation beyond reputeFinchee has a reputation beyond reputeFinchee has a reputation beyond repute
Groans: 0
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by sleeveless View Post
How do you like it I put my jbr 88 on Wednesday and I'm surprised that it isn't as hard as I thought it was going to be. Its stiff no doubt but nowhere near a complaint level ( some have complained)
I like it very much. I think the improvement in shifting, drivability and the extra exhaust volume outweighs the increased NVH. I mean it vibes a lot, especially at that 1300-1400 RPM range, but I think I can live with it. If the vibrations die down as the mount breaks in, then all the better.

You can read more of my thoughts on it here:
RMM testing and review diaries
Finchee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Finchee For This Useful Post:
Awal (05-17-2015)
 Old 05-17-2015, 06:59 PM   #7845

g00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,164 Times in 963 Posts
Groans: 437
Groaned at 11 Times in 11 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Took the stock sub from my MS3 and put it in the gf 2015 Sonata, fits just like it does in the MS3.

Couldn't find the same size/thread bolt that was there, so just went to Ace, got a different bolt, and threaded the hole to fit it. Hooked it all up with a small 200w amp (turned down to about 10%), and it makes the stock system in the Sonata so much better. No it isn't a seat rattler, but songs have actual bass to them now.

Oh and tomorrow I'm relocating my battery to the trunk(since this thread is about my car, and not a Hyundai), will be fun. More pictures shall follow.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20150517_182859.jpg (2.54 MB, 30 views)
Awal (05-17-2015)
 Old 05-17-2015, 09:46 PM   #7846

Awal is the leader of the worldAwal is the leader of the worldAwal is the leader of the worldAwal is the leader of the worldAwal is the leader of the worldAwal is the leader of the worldAwal is the leader of the worldAwal is the leader of the worldAwal is the leader of the worldAwal is the leader of the worldAwal is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by g00s3y View Post
Took the stock sub from my MS3 and put it in the gf 2015 Sonata, fits just like it does in the MS3.
I have wanted to go to a 8"(easier) or a 10"(barely fits) with an amp to a 'jack box enclosure', it would be nice to have enough sound to takes out all 3 major MMounts + not catted TBE. I have seen some custom spare wheel-well 10".

For now the stock 6" Bose woofer +9 speakers is enough for the Mounts, but once the 3.5 intake is in + 3" turbo back.. I'd like a lil more bass and sound, I'll be able to turn the bass down inside the car with a better sub, the stocks should go pretty good.

Can you put a small amp on the stock 6", i know Bose has it set up to an amp and equalizer, it does serious work for it's size. Just wondering, wondering as well if an 8 would fit in the stock spare plastic box (with some custom fab work).

2013 LSM W/ Tech
CORKSPORTFull Race RMM CORKSPORTPMM CORKSPORTTMM CORKSPORTTMIC(temporarily uninstalled for Warranty BS) CORKSPORTECU RELOCATION BATTERY BOX(temporarily uninstalled for Warranty BS) CORKSPORTSSP CORKSPORTSHIFTER BUSHINGS CORKSPORT3.5" POWER SERIES SRI/TIP(temporarily uninstalled for Warranty BS) CORKSPORTBPV(temporarily uninstalled for Warranty BS) CORKSPORTRSB @ Full Stiff CORKSPORTMid Chassis Brace CORKSPORTHood Struts + decals for 20whp CORKSPORTLicense Plate Frames
AUTOTECHHPFP INTERNALS

ToBeInstalled:
CORKSPORTFull Catless TBE, Rear Trunk Brace, Adjustable FELs, Cold Air Box (modified for 3.5")
Cooling MistWMI kit

On Deck
BilsteinB16s
 Old 05-18-2015, 03:42 AM   #7847

sleeveless is the leader of the worldsleeveless is the leader of the worldsleeveless is the leader of the worldsleeveless is the leader of the worldsleeveless is the leader of the worldsleeveless is the leader of the worldsleeveless is the leader of the worldsleeveless is the leader of the worldsleeveless is the leader of the worldsleeveless is the leader of the worldsleeveless is the leader of the world
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Awal View Post
I have wanted to go to a 8"(easier) or a 10"(barely fits) with an amp to a 'jack box enclosure', it would be nice to have enough sound to takes out all 3 major MMounts + not catted TBE. I have seen some custom spare wheel-well 10".

For now the stock 6" Bose woofer +9 speakers is enough for the Mounts, but once the 3.5 intake is in + 3" turbo back.. I'd like a lil more bass and sound, I'll be able to turn the bass down inside the car with a better sub, the stocks should go pretty good.

Can you put a small amp on the stock 6", i know Bose has it set up to an amp and equalizer, it does serious work for it's size. Just wondering, wondering as well if an 8 would fit in the stock spare plastic box (with some custom fab work).
I don't see why not every wire you need is under your pass side seat (amp location)

sold

06 Mazdaspeed 6

LED turns, front switchbacks, 7000 lumen fogs, fancy boost gauge, dipped ms3 wheels
sleeveless is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sleeveless For This Useful Post:
Awal (05-18-2015)
 Old 05-18-2015, 04:11 AM   #7848

g00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

I have a 10" side mount box, made by a fellow MS3 member, everything fits easily, nothing was "barely fitting". JL Audio has a spare tire box I believe, it's $650 I think.

I put the same amp I had on the kicker 10" in my car, on the stock Bose sub I threw in the Sonata. Turned the gain almost all the way down, and it's been fine for the past 24 hours.
 Old 05-18-2015, 08:29 AM   #7849

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by sleeveless View Post
I don't see why not every wire you need is under your pass side seat (amp location)
Yeah I am I familiar with the ease of access for all of the wires, and have installed a ton of stereos in my day, luckily everything is there to run something else. I was just wondering if i could run a little better/bigger 8" in the stock bose plastic box, but I haven't even removed it to look yet.

I have a 10" side mount box, made by a fellow MS3 member, everything fits easily, nothing was "barely fitting". JL Audio has a spare tire box I believe, it's $650 I think.

I put the same amp I had on the kicker 10" in my car, on the stock Bose sub I threw in the Sonata. Turned the gain almost all the way down, and it's been fine for the past 24 hours.
Most of the jack boxes (side mounts) that I saw that used a 10" were super thin walled fiberglass units with very little room for the magnet/air, and yeah, $650 is way more than i'd be willing to spend on a unported fiberglass box. The 8" seemed to fit and use what little displacement you have a lot better, but there were still a few 8's that wouldn't fit due to magnet clearance. I might spend like $200 on a box tops.

I'll probably just end up making my own that replaces the stock 6" in the spare, that method seems to net a bit better air ratio for 10", and seems like a sturdier mounting location (insulated by the spare, weight down low and in the middle).

thanks for the feedback

2013 LSM W/ Tech
AUTOTECHHPFP INTERNALS

ToBeInstalled:
Cooling MistWMI kit

On Deck
BilsteinB16s
 Old 05-18-2015, 08:49 AM   #7850

Not Ranked  0 score     

Yeah I am I familiar with the ease of access for all of the wires, and have installed a ton of stereos in my day, luckily everything is there to run something else. I was just wondering if i could run a little better/bigger 8" in the stock bose plastic box, but I haven't even removed it to look yet.
It would be a lot of custom work to try and get an 8" to fit in there (the stock sub is actually ~5.5", not 6" or 8"), and even then if it fit, I can't imagine it sounding that great. You can remove those 6 bolts and everything is right there. A lot of plastic and very little sub.

@JTMS3; makes the boxes (not sure if he is still doing it), here is a thread - Zoom Boom box

Not thin walled, or anything of low quality. Made very well, fits perfectly, and still keeps a very stock look in the back.
Awal (05-18-2015)
 Old 05-18-2015, 09:25 AM   #7851

Not Ranked  0 score     

yeah, that's a bit dif than the other jack box designs I've seen (much wider face, the other ones pretty much just used the stock jack cover as a face), a 10" with a smaller magnet would easily fit, altho a proper 8" would probably sound almost as good or better considering it's only .3 ft3.

2013 LSM W/ Tech
AUTOTECHHPFP INTERNALS

ToBeInstalled:
Cooling MistWMI kit

On Deck
BilsteinB16s
 Old 05-19-2015, 06:45 PM   #7852

MD1032 is the leader of the worldMD1032 is the leader of the worldMD1032 is the leader of the worldMD1032 is the leader of the worldMD1032 is the leader of the worldMD1032 is the leader of the worldMD1032 is the leader of the worldMD1032 is the leader of the worldMD1032 is the leader of the worldMD1032 is the leader of the worldMD1032 is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,962 Times in 1,066 Posts
Groans: 143
Groaned at 5 Times in 5 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I started an 87 tune for the first time tonight. It's been really interesting so far. I'm doing this as a way of forcing myself to learn some new tuning strategies, and I feel that I've already learned a lot. So far, numbers are about 210-215 vdyno WHP compared to 255-265 on my 93 tune, but if I went back to my 93 tune, I think I could get those numbers a tad higher with what I've learned.

The results so far from 87 honestly are a little better than I expected. Butt dyno says that this could basically pass as stock at current power levels (I also had a very slow car from the factory, however).

I think I'll roll 87 for a couple more tanks (or until I can't stand not having real power anymore), then switch back and see what I can do with 93 again.
Awal (05-19-2015), monkey.bones.007 (05-19-2015), PapaBruno (05-26-2015), sleeveless (05-20-2015), stoickiwi (05-19-2015)
 Old 05-19-2015, 08:06 PM   #7853

steevieg has a reputation beyond reputesteevieg has a reputation beyond reputesteevieg has a reputation beyond reputesteevieg has a reputation beyond reputesteevieg has a reputation beyond reputesteevieg has a reputation beyond reputesteevieg has a reputation beyond reputesteevieg has a reputation beyond reputesteevieg has a reputation beyond reputesteevieg has a reputation beyond reputesteevieg has a reputation beyond repute
Groaned at 3 Times in 2 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

oil change!
The Following User Says Thank You to steevieg For This Useful Post:
Awal (05-19-2015)
 Old 05-19-2015, 08:23 PM   #7854

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by MD1032 View Post
I think I'll roll 87 for a couple more tanks (or until I can't stand not having real power anymore), then switch back and see what I can do with 93 again.
I don't think you will last thru to a 2nd full tank of 87. I think that considering what you have learnt (and obviously want to put into practice) you will be on at least 91-93 PDQ. Unless there's more to learn I just can't see someone rolling with -45hp and -55tq just cause you can. but please, prove me wrong. Or actually prove me right, I would love to see you apply the knowledge you have learned to your 93 tune.

2013 LSM W/ Tech
AUTOTECHHPFP INTERNALS

ToBeInstalled:
Cooling MistWMI kit

On Deck
BilsteinB16s
 Old 05-19-2015, 08:24 PM   #7855

stoickiwi is the leader of the worldstoickiwi is the leader of the worldstoickiwi is the leader of the worldstoickiwi is the leader of the worldstoickiwi is the leader of the worldstoickiwi is the leader of the worldstoickiwi is the leader of the worldstoickiwi is the leader of the worldstoickiwi is the leader of the worldstoickiwi is the leader of the worldstoickiwi is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

I started an 87 tune for the first time tonight. It's been really interesting so far. I'm doing this as a way of forcing myself to learn some new tuning strategies, and I feel that I've already learned a lot. So far, numbers are about 210-215 vdyno WHP compared to 255-265 on my 93 tune, but if I went back to my 93 tune, I think I could get those numbers a tad higher with what I've learned.

The results so far from 87 honestly are a little better than I expected. Butt dyno says that this could basically pass as stock at current power levels (I also had a very slow car from the factory, however).

Kudos for trying something new and different. I can totally see this being practical to load on an AP just in case travels take you somewhere where 91-93 isn't readily available.
As it progresses, I would totally make a thread.

Stock AF
stoickiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stoickiwi For This Useful Post:
Awal (05-19-2015)
 Old 05-19-2015, 08:29 PM   #7856

UnionThug has a reputation beyond reputeUnionThug has a reputation beyond reputeUnionThug has a reputation beyond reputeUnionThug has a reputation beyond reputeUnionThug has a reputation beyond reputeUnionThug has a reputation beyond reputeUnionThug has a reputation beyond reputeUnionThug has a reputation beyond reputeUnionThug has a reputation beyond reputeUnionThug has a reputation beyond reputeUnionThug has a reputation beyond repute
Not Ranked  0 score     

Got my cobb ap v3 today.
Thanks @EdgeAutosport.com; for the quick delivery!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to UnionThug For This Useful Post:
Awal (05-19-2015), EdgeAutosport.com (05-20-2015)
 Old 05-19-2015, 08:46 PM   #7857

speedfreak44 is the leader of the worldspeedfreak44 is the leader of the worldspeedfreak44 is the leader of the worldspeedfreak44 is the leader of the worldspeedfreak44 is the leader of the worldspeedfreak44 is the leader of the worldspeedfreak44 is the leader of the worldspeedfreak44 is the leader of the worldspeedfreak44 is the leader of the worldspeedfreak44 is the leader of the worldspeedfreak44 is the leader of the world
Groans: 10
Groaned at 3 Times in 2 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Tightened down all the connections preturbo as I have been having some weird idle issues when stopping. The car likes to bounce idle rpm from about 600-1100 rpm for a few seconds before settling down. Stft are usually 5 or less and ltft seems to be sitting steady at 6. Haven't tested the car out yet though as my findings in the Inlet hose have me a little worried
2009 Nissan Frontier LE loaded...big stereo system (traded)
2009 Cadillac CTS sport package...stock (blown and traded piece of shit)
1994 Integra RS built all motor (sold)
1990 Civic EF nitrous turbo motor swapped beast (sold)
1987 Dodge pick up...jacked up (sold)
speedfreak44 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 05-20-2015, 07:09 AM   #7858

sleeveless is the leader of the worldsleeveless is the leader of the worldsleeveless is the leader of the worldsleeveless is the leader of the worldsleeveless is the leader of the worldsleeveless is the leader of the worldsleeveless is the leader of the worldsleeveless is the leader of the worldsleeveless is the leader of the worldsleeveless is the leader of the worldsleeveless is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

I think we may have a new tuning company lol.

sold

06 Mazdaspeed 6

LED turns, front switchbacks, 7000 lumen fogs, fancy boost gauge, dipped ms3 wheels
sleeveless is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 05-20-2015, 07:41 AM   #7859

Not Ranked  0 score     

Living in PA, you should definitely be able to get those numbers a bit higher. This is my last vdyno from my 93 tune, I didn't actually finish it (because full e85 tests), but this is with hot ass FL temps and humidity.

Personally, I wouldn't run the 87 in the MS3, there really isn't much to learn. Gas mileage might go up (because of a less heavy foot, in my case at least), but that would be expected.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pump.jpg (134.2 KB, 38 views)

Last edited by g00s3y; 05-20-2015 at 08:11 AM. Reason: bit more clear
g00s3y is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to g00s3y For This Useful Post:
MD1032 (05-20-2015)
 Old 05-20-2015, 07:48 AM   #7860

MD1032 is the leader of the worldMD1032 is the leader of the worldMD1032 is the leader of the worldMD1032 is the leader of the worldMD1032 is the leader of the worldMD1032 is the leader of the worldMD1032 is the leader of the worldMD1032 is the leader of the worldMD1032 is the leader of the worldMD1032 is the leader of the worldMD1032 is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Living in PA, you should definitely be able to get those numbers a bit higher. This is my last vdyno from my 93 tune, I didn't actually finish it (because full e85 tests), but this is with hot ass FL temps and humidity.

Personally, I wouldn't run the 87 in the MS3, there really isn't much to learn. Gas mileage might go up, but that would be expected.
Thanks for the info. What mods did you have during that time where you got the 288?

I knew my numbers were a bit low. Hence the experiment.
 Old 05-20-2015, 07:51 AM   #7861
Police - Grammarhead

Vansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the world
Thanked 6,846 Times in 2,680 Posts
Groans: 1,809
Groaned at 45 Times in 26 Posts

Personally, I wouldn't run the 87 in the MS3, there really isn't much to learn. Gas mileage might go up, but that would be expected.
Gas mileage should absolutely not go up with an 87 Octane tune. No matter what you do, you can't run as much ignition advance on 87 as you can on 91 or 93, nor can you run as lean without having a goodly amount of KR.

Vansquish is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 05-20-2015, 08:10 AM   #7862

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Vansquish View Post
Gas mileage should absolutely not go up with an 87 Octane tune. No matter what you do, you can't run as much ignition advance on 87 as you can on 91 or 93, nor can you run as lean without having a goodly amount of KR.
I should have been more clear, wasn't really meaning tune wise, more so less heavy foot on gas pedal I would think. Just because of running a lower octane, less WOT, at least I would just to be safe if I had to run 87.

Thanks for the info. What mods did you have during that time where you got the 288?

I knew my numbers were a bit low. Hence the experiment.
The same ones I have now.

Before when I was only Cobb SRI/TIP, Internals, TBE, I believe I was putting out around 275/315 VD. This was about a year ago, so I might be remembering the numbers incorrectly.

Last edited by g00s3y; 05-20-2015 at 08:10 AM. Reason: MSF Database - Automerged Doublepost
g00s3y is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to g00s3y For This Useful Post:
MD1032 (05-20-2015)
 Old 05-20-2015, 08:10 AM   #7863
Police - Grammarhead

Vansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the world
Thanked 6,846 Times in 2,680 Posts
Groans: 1,809
Groaned at 45 Times in 26 Posts

I should have been more clear, wasn't really meaning tune wise, more so less heavy foot on gas pedal I would think. Just because of running a lower octane, less WOT, at least I would just to be safe if I had to run 87.
I can also tell you that having played around with 87 a bit myself, I saw an average of about 2-4mpg lower fuel economy than I get on 92/93.

Vansquish is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vansquish For This Useful Post:
g00s3y (05-20-2015)
 Old 05-20-2015, 08:45 AM   #7864

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Vansquish View Post
I can also tell you that having played around with 87 a bit myself, I saw an average of about 2-4mpg lower fuel economy than I get on 92/93.
Wow, expected it to be the same mpg at worst, maybe -1, but -2 to -4mpg is pretty significant.
 Old 05-20-2015, 09:03 AM   #7865

Not Ranked  0 score     

I haven't noticed any decrease personally. I did 2 highway runs on 87 before I started tuning on my current (3rd) tank (to make sure I got all the 93 out of my car) and got 28 and 30 MPG respectively which is consistent with what I've seen in the past for my car for highway summer mileage with the A/C on.

2012 Mazdaspeed3 (Mazda 3) | Fuelly

Of course, Cobb also probably uses different logic now for dynamically increasing cruising ignition timing Vansquish than they used to back when you were trying 87. Remember that discussion you and I had in my “tuning troubleshooting” thread a while back where you were telling me about how much better the BEC system used to work on the older maps? That’s the thing, we can’t really control (or in some cases even fully know) what Cobb’s software does with the numbers we give it.

In fact, one thing I’ve noticed is that my observed timing values at nearly all low-load (closed loop) points are WAY higher than what I’m commanding in my tables right now. In fact, honestly, I almost think it just doesn’t even matter what you put in the low throttle tables because the software is just going to ignore it and try to advance it as much as possible for economy purposes.

edit: Last night, did more tuning. Decreased boost slightly, and messed with AFR's a lot. Came out of the night with about another 10 HP for a total of ~220-225, just ever so slightly south of the number I saw posted for a stock Focus ST on 87, which I think I should be able to beat considering I have an intake. I'll make a thread on this eventually. Learning so much, so fast.
Attached Images
File Type: png Capture.PNG (10.1 KB, 26 views)

Last edited by MD1032; 05-21-2015 at 04:15 AM.
MD1032 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 05-21-2015, 11:14 AM   #7866

AwAfrican is the leader of the worldAwAfrican is the leader of the worldAwAfrican is the leader of the worldAwAfrican is the leader of the worldAwAfrican is the leader of the worldAwAfrican is the leader of the worldAwAfrican is the leader of the worldAwAfrican is the leader of the worldAwAfrican is the leader of the worldAwAfrican is the leader of the worldAwAfrican is the leader of the world
Groans: 8
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

Stock pos dp replaced for a lovely CPE one always got my first revision of my freektune ots map! Will be putting in denso ITV 22 plugs today as well before I load it up. So glad i took I took the car to a shop they had trouble and took them about 3 hours

Edit: freektune first revsion received,The car takes me by surprise again

uploadfromtaptalk1432231896348.jpg

Last edited by AwAfrican; 05-22-2015 at 03:52 AM.
AwAfrican is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AwAfrican For This Useful Post:
Awal (05-22-2015)
 Old 05-22-2015, 12:47 PM   #7867

texasboy21 is the leader of the worldtexasboy21 is the leader of the worldtexasboy21 is the leader of the worldtexasboy21 is the leader of the worldtexasboy21 is the leader of the worldtexasboy21 is the leader of the worldtexasboy21 is the leader of the worldtexasboy21 is the leader of the worldtexasboy21 is the leader of the worldtexasboy21 is the leader of the worldtexasboy21 is the leader of the world
Groans: 6
Groaned at 16 Times in 10 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Married my new V3 AP and loaded the Cobb stg1 V234 map.

Overall, I am not that impressed lol, but it sure does spin the tires in first and second gear.

2003 A4 1.8TQ
APR stg2+, MTM 420cc injectors, EuroCode FMIC, PSi testpipe, Techtonics Tuning downpipe, Forge TIP, Hyperboost DV, 240mm clutch, LWFW flywheel, B5S4 calipers, Goodridge SS lines, Stern snub, motor and transmission mounts, Powerflex rear diff bushing, 034MotorSports rear diff. carrier bushing inserts, JHM SS shifter, solid linkage, stabilizer bushing and weighted knob, Vogtland Jr. Cup Kit, B7 RS4 front and rear sway bars.
texasboy21 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to texasboy21 For This Useful Post:
Awal (05-22-2015)
 Old 05-22-2015, 12:49 PM   #7868

stoickiwi is the leader of the worldstoickiwi is the leader of the worldstoickiwi is the leader of the worldstoickiwi is the leader of the worldstoickiwi is the leader of the worldstoickiwi is the leader of the worldstoickiwi is the leader of the worldstoickiwi is the leader of the worldstoickiwi is the leader of the worldstoickiwi is the leader of the worldstoickiwi is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Tidied up my Guardian Angel install and wrote up a how to for the external trigger.

Stock AF
stoickiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stoickiwi For This Useful Post:
Awal (05-22-2015)
 Old 05-22-2015, 01:11 PM   #7869

yasun has a reputation beyond reputeyasun has a reputation beyond reputeyasun has a reputation beyond reputeyasun has a reputation beyond reputeyasun has a reputation beyond reputeyasun has a reputation beyond reputeyasun has a reputation beyond reputeyasun has a reputation beyond reputeyasun has a reputation beyond reputeyasun has a reputation beyond reputeyasun has a reputation beyond repute
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by texasboy21 View Post
Married my new V3 AP and loaded the Cobb stg1 V234 map.

Overall, I am not that impressed lol, but it sure does spin the tires in first and second gear.
I did that a couple/few months ago. That map has driveability issues, although after a bit of time to adjust, I'm no longer spinning. I guess similar adjustments will be needed again once I install the HPFP internals and CAI/SRI (haven't decided) and then get an e-tune.
texasboy21 likes this.

Cobb AP

cp-e Stage 2 RMM // CorkSport Coilovers // CorkSport Camber Plates // Michelin Pilot Super Sport 245/35-18 on Enkei PF01 18x8.5+48 (summer) // Michelin Pilot Alpin PA3 XL 225/40-18 on ASA AR1 18x7.5+52 (winter)
yasun is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 05-22-2015, 02:45 PM   #7870

texasboy21 is the leader of the worldtexasboy21 is the leader of the worldtexasboy21 is the leader of the worldtexasboy21 is the leader of the worldtexasboy21 is the leader of the worldtexasboy21 is the leader of the worldtexasboy21 is the leader of the worldtexasboy21 is the leader of the worldtexasboy21 is the leader of the worldtexasboy21 is the leader of the worldtexasboy21 is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by yasun View Post
I did that a couple/few months ago. That map has driveability issues, although after a bit of time to adjust, I'm no longer spinning. I guess similar adjustments will be needed again once I install the HPFP internals and CAI/SRI (haven't decided) and then get an e-tune.
What are the divisibility issues you had? I read that the throttle is a bit "lazy" and requires some edits to the map.

2003 A4 1.8TQ
APR stg2+, MTM 420cc injectors, EuroCode FMIC, PSi testpipe, Techtonics Tuning downpipe, Forge TIP, Hyperboost DV, 240mm clutch, LWFW flywheel, B5S4 calipers, Goodridge SS lines, Stern snub, motor and transmission mounts, Powerflex rear diff bushing, 034MotorSports rear diff. carrier bushing inserts, JHM SS shifter, solid linkage, stabilizer bushing and weighted knob, Vogtland Jr. Cup Kit, B7 RS4 front and rear sway bars.
 Old 05-22-2015, 06:26 PM   #7871

yasun has a reputation beyond reputeyasun has a reputation beyond reputeyasun has a reputation beyond reputeyasun has a reputation beyond reputeyasun has a reputation beyond reputeyasun has a reputation beyond reputeyasun has a reputation beyond reputeyasun has a reputation beyond reputeyasun has a reputation beyond reputeyasun has a reputation beyond reputeyasun has a reputation beyond repute
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by texasboy21 View Post
What are the divisibility issues you had? I read that the throttle is a bit "lazy" and requires some edits to the map.
The throttle is very touchy vs. stock. I was unintentionally spinning constantly in first and second for a couple days. I've adapted and can launch hard again without spinning, but it took a little while and more attention than I felt should be required.

I also find that I'm having what feel like power drops (feels like mild fuel cut to me) at odd times in middle gears (3,4,5) when I'm wanting to accelerate. This happens at partial throttle. I always disable traction control (or whatever it's called on this car), so I don't think it's that - plus it's much more subtle than what the traction control does.

I was worried about KR causing that, but I check the AP when it's happening (and after) and often there's no KR at all. Although sometimes there is. It wasn't happening at all on the stock map, so I don't think it's a problem with the engine. I think it's the tune.

In any event, everybody says the stock Cobb maps are shit and I believe them. So I'm dwelling on it. I could adjust the map myself, I guess. But I'm forcing myself not to do anything until I get the internals ordered and installed (procrastination is my best quality).

Cobb AP

cp-e Stage 2 RMM // CorkSport Coilovers // CorkSport Camber Plates // Michelin Pilot Super Sport 245/35-18 on Enkei PF01 18x8.5+48 (summer) // Michelin Pilot Alpin PA3 XL 225/40-18 on ASA AR1 18x7.5+52 (winter)
 Old 05-22-2015, 06:39 PM   #7872

Not Ranked  0 score     

In any event, everybody says the stock Cobb maps are shit and I believe them. So I'm dwelling on it. I could adjust the map myself, I guess. But I'm forcing myself not to do anything until I get the internals ordered and installed (procrastination is my best quality).
Yea, I read the OTS tunes were not that great, but I figured it would be a bit better than it is. My speed is supposed to stay stock, and I wanted to be able to log and monitor things and a tune is never a bad thing, so I picked up an AP.

Now it seems I have to get an e-tune or run constantly marry and unmarry the AP.

2003 A4 1.8TQ
 Old 05-22-2015, 06:42 PM   #7873

Not Ranked  0 score     

I also find that I'm having what feel like power drops (feels like mild fuel cut to me) at odd times in middle gears (3,4,5) when I'm wanting to accelerate. This happens at partial throttle. I always disable traction control (or whatever it's called on this car), so I don't think it's that - plus it's much more subtle than what the traction control does
You're on stock internals, aren't you?
AwAfrican (05-23-2015), Awal (05-22-2015), sleeveless (05-22-2015)
 Old 05-22-2015, 08:44 PM   #7874

Not Ranked  0 score     

Finally got my AP, AT internals, and my Stratified EBC. Turns out Alex from Stratified lives very close, so it'll make it even easier to do the custom tune in person. He had a pair of very nice drag tires, on his way with another Stratified employee to our local Friday night drags in his FST.

I was REALLY hoping to install my 3.5" CS SRI/TIP today then calibrate the MAF sensor, but it was just too busy at work, I passed so many longing/needing looks towards my AP.

To go in when I next have some free time will be the internals. Then when my buddy is done ceramic coating my DP and TP (the DP is the main culprit but coating the TP won't hurt) in with the TBE.

The HPFP internals are almost like gold, considering the cost:size:weight ratio. But good and great things can come in small packages.

Once the intake is on I'll be getting a decent OTS map from Stratified to hold me over until the internals and 80mm TBE exhaust are in, I'll install the EBC as well but it's not needed, but it will be for sure.

Gratz on all the installs and shit bros! Look for some better OTS maps, I think there are some free ones here and there. Or get an OTS+ tune on the cheap from Freektune, apparently they are SOOO much better than normal OTS maps, basically a custom tune 'light'.

2013 LSM W/ Tech
AUTOTECHHPFP INTERNALS

ToBeInstalled:
Cooling MistWMI kit

On Deck
BilsteinB16s
 Old 05-23-2015, 03:59 PM   #7875

Not Ranked  0 score     

Battery relocated to the trunk... Still need to tidy up the engine bay (and do a nice wire tuck when I can find time), but it will be fine for now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20150523_183846.jpg (3.45 MB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20150523_135201.jpg (2.96 MB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20150523_135144.jpg (4.21 MB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20150523_135127.jpg (2.63 MB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20150523_135302.jpg (2.23 MB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20150523_165852.jpg (3.06 MB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20150523_165859.jpg (2.69 MB, 40 views)
Awal likes this.
Awal (05-23-2015), liljae8 (05-24-2015), MD1032 (05-23-2015)
 Old 05-23-2015, 04:01 PM   #7876

Not Ranked  0 score     

I really like that man. Engine bay looks so much cleaner. But aren't you worried about not having a spare?
 Old 05-23-2015, 05:12 PM   #7877

Not Ranked  0 score     

I really like that man. Engine bay looks so much cleaner. But aren't you worried about not having a spare?
Spare sits right behind my seat. In almost 2 years of ownership I've only had more than 3 people in my car once, so it works well. My son's carseat is on the passenger side, jack sits under the driver's seat.

It was much easier running 1/0 wire from the front to back than I thought it would be, everything is hidden, and still looks all stock.
 Old 05-23-2015, 05:15 PM   #7878

Not Ranked  0 score     

You're on stock internals, aren't you?
Yes. I'm more or less babying the car until I get them installed.

Edit: Although I've considered the obvious (that the FP is the problem), I've been monitoring and the power loss weirdness doesn't seem associated with fuel pressure drops. In any event, I know I need to get the FP ASAP and before any more mods to the engine.

Cobb AP

Old 05-24-2015, 10:04 AM   #7879
Raiders Bitch

Shampu is the leader of the worldShampu is the leader of the worldShampu is the leader of the worldShampu is the leader of the worldShampu is the leader of the worldShampu is the leader of the worldShampu is the leader of the worldShampu is the leader of the worldShampu is the leader of the worldShampu is the leader of the worldShampu is the leader of the world
Groans: 25
Groaned at 8 Times in 8 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Installed some fresh gaskets in my exhaust. Its nice not having the cabin smell like Gas/oil again.
Cobb Tuning Accessport V3, Autotech HPFP Internals, HTP 3in Intake, Turbosmart Dual Port, Ultimate Racing Test Pipe, CP-e TMIC, Ultimate Racing Catback, DM RMM, DM PMM, CPE Trans Mount, JBR Shifter Bushings, OCC

Rice: LED's, Black emblems, Rally Armor mudflaps, OEM Rain Visors, OEM Cargo Tray, Weathertech Floor mats, S204 lip (RIP), PERM shift knob, Cobb Exhaust hangers, Blue Evo X GSR wheels

Fluids/other shit: Rotella T6, NGK 1 step colder plugs
235/40 Pilot Super Sports

Tuned by Nishan
25% E85
Shampu is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 05-24-2015, 02:01 PM   #7880

Not Ranked  0 score     

Just installed my Cobb AP v3, saved the factory setting and flashed in the basic "safe 91 oct" OTS map. I'm about to install the CS 3.5" intake, so I took it for a little rip to see what the new map felt like.

All I gotta say is holy shit, when I added the CS TMIC my powerband went from falling off at 5800rpm to pulling all the way to about 6500rpm. With the reflash safe 91 map it pulls to 7200rpm (maybe more as that's as far as I'm prepared to take it for now), and the ass dyno says there's a definate addition to power, not a ton, but noticeable.

You can see the new map is also holding boost to about 13-14psi max, I can't wait to flash the next map in once the intake is in. As far as the OTS maps, what would a 3.5" intake/TIP + upgraded TMIC be considered stage-wise?

Can't wait to get the internals and catless TBE in there and get my custom tune done with stratified in person.

2013 LSM W/ Tech
AUTOTECHHPFP INTERNALS

ToBeInstalled:
Cooling MistWMI kit

On Deck
BilsteinB16s
The Following User Says Thank You to Awal For This Useful Post:
GARRETHEXTREME (05-24-2015)