register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3 MZR Gen2 Forums (2010-2013)
> 2010 MS3 - Appearance > Exterior

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!
Like Tree14Likes

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 07-27-2010, 10:41 AM   #1

Labster is a jewel in the roughLabster is a jewel in the roughLabster is a jewel in the rough
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default Ask the Detailer

I've done this on a few other forums that I frequent and it seems to work out well. I've been detailing for almost 10 years now and own a detailing business catering to high end luxury and exotic owners. Feel free to post up your detailing related questions and I'll do my best to answer them asap. I'm frequently online so you can catch me on AIM or Google chat as well.
Labster is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 07-27-2010, 10:45 AM   #2

armarine04 is the leader of the worldarmarine04 is the leader of the worldarmarine04 is the leader of the worldarmarine04 is the leader of the worldarmarine04 is the leader of the worldarmarine04 is the leader of the worldarmarine04 is the leader of the worldarmarine04 is the leader of the worldarmarine04 is the leader of the worldarmarine04 is the leader of the worldarmarine04 is the leader of the world
Groans: 1
Groaned at 20 Times in 5 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Whats the best thing to use to repair/patch/cover-up/make less noticable small paint chips on the front of my car (its black and every lil chip is a spot light on the car)

][ 2007 MS3 GT ][MAZDASPEED cai ][ MAZDASPEED cat-back ][ CP-e dp ][ Turbosmart Dual Port ][ SU rear motor mount ][ ITV-22 ][ RallyArmor mud flaps ][ MS6 wheels ][
armarine04 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to armarine04 For This Useful Post:
neotide87 (05-01-2011)
 Old 07-27-2010, 10:59 AM   #3

Addikted To Boost is the leader of the worldAddikted To Boost is the leader of the worldAddikted To Boost is the leader of the worldAddikted To Boost is the leader of the worldAddikted To Boost is the leader of the worldAddikted To Boost is the leader of the worldAddikted To Boost is the leader of the worldAddikted To Boost is the leader of the worldAddikted To Boost is the leader of the worldAddikted To Boost is the leader of the worldAddikted To Boost is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,498 Times in 432 Posts
Groans: 157
Groaned at 29 Times in 16 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

alan, google dr. colorchip, i hear it is the best thing to use. They send you oem matched paint too. There is a thread on here about it.

BNR S3 V2, Freek'd Corn Toon, Cobb AP V3, Cobb FMIC w/ JBR piping, JBR WP 3.5 silicone, Cobb EBCS, Turbo XS Catless DP and TP, CPE Nexus CBE, Autotechs, GFB Hybrid BPV, Damond Trilogy mounts (FTMFW), Bilstein B14 Coils, RX8 R3s

Addikted To Boost is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 07-27-2010, 11:30 AM   #4

Aetherfury is the leader of the worldAetherfury is the leader of the worldAetherfury is the leader of the worldAetherfury is the leader of the worldAetherfury is the leader of the worldAetherfury is the leader of the worldAetherfury is the leader of the worldAetherfury is the leader of the worldAetherfury is the leader of the worldAetherfury is the leader of the worldAetherfury is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,085 Times in 362 Posts
Groans: 5
Groaned at 6 Times in 5 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I am also a detailing freak and I use a DA polisher (g110v2) for most stuff. My question is that I have heard the best stuff to clean the rotary pads is Dawn Power Dissolver but I can't find any around me anywhere. What's the next best thing to get them real clean without leaving residue?
 Old 07-27-2010, 11:37 AM   #5

Labster is a jewel in the roughLabster is a jewel in the roughLabster is a jewel in the rough
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by armarine04 View Post
Whats the best thing to use to repair/patch/cover-up/make less noticable small paint chips on the front of my car (its black and every lil chip is a spot light on the car)
OEM touch up paint. If you want to make it look near factory try a bit of wet sanding to take off the high spots as well.

Originally Posted by Aetherfury View Post
I am also a detailing freak and I use a DA polisher (g110v2) for most stuff. My question is that I have heard the best stuff to clean the rotary pads is Dawn Power Dissolver but I can't find any around me anywhere. What's the next best thing to get them real clean without leaving residue?
I just use an All Purpose cleaner and soak the pads for 5-7 minutes and then a soft brush like a tooth brush and then rinse (I use a pressure washer) Mine come out really well.
Labster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Labster For This Useful Post:
skeeter149 (06-03-2011)
 Old 05-01-2011, 08:34 PM   #6

Port90 can only hope to improve
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

seat cracking? best cleaner for the leather
Port90 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 05-01-2011, 08:47 PM   #7

neotide87 is the leader of the worldneotide87 is the leader of the worldneotide87 is the leader of the worldneotide87 is the leader of the worldneotide87 is the leader of the worldneotide87 is the leader of the worldneotide87 is the leader of the worldneotide87 is the leader of the worldneotide87 is the leader of the worldneotide87 is the leader of the worldneotide87 is the leader of the world
Groans: 13
Groaned at 5 Times in 5 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

after you clay bar what is the next best thing to detail the exterior if never done before? thanks
 Old 05-01-2011, 08:47 PM   #8

lyonsroar is the leader of the worldlyonsroar is the leader of the worldlyonsroar is the leader of the worldlyonsroar is the leader of the worldlyonsroar is the leader of the worldlyonsroar is the leader of the worldlyonsroar is the leader of the worldlyonsroar is the leader of the worldlyonsroar is the leader of the worldlyonsroar is the leader of the worldlyonsroar is the leader of the world
Groans: 16
Groaned at 6 Times in 3 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Aetherfury View Post
I've heard WalMart carries it. I use APC. Picked up a big spray bottle of goof off today and it seemed to work.
 Old 05-04-2011, 06:56 AM   #9

lyonsroar is the leader of the worldlyonsroar is the leader of the worldlyonsroar is the leader of the worldlyonsroar is the leader of the worldlyonsroar is the leader of the worldlyonsroar is the leader of the worldlyonsroar is the leader of the worldlyonsroar is the leader of the worldlyonsroar is the leader of the worldlyonsroar is the leader of the worldlyonsroar is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by neotide87 View Post
after you clay bar what is the next best thing to detail the exterior if never done before? thanks
If never done before I would start with M105 compound and then move on to M205 and then sealant (like Blackfire Wet Diamond) and then wax (AutoGlym, FK 1000p, etc)
 Old 05-11-2011, 12:58 PM   #10

Wildfire has much to be proud ofWildfire has much to be proud ofWildfire has much to be proud ofWildfire has much to be proud ofWildfire has much to be proud ofWildfire has much to be proud ofWildfire has much to be proud ofWildfire has much to be proud ofWildfire has much to be proud of
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

My engine is dirty. There's no caked mud or anything. Just a thin film of dirt from never washing it. What's the best way to clean it? Spray it at the car wash? I read somewhere that I can use a foaming tire cleaner and let it drip. What say you?
Wildfire is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 05-11-2011, 01:16 PM   #11

ckahler666 is the leader of the worldckahler666 is the leader of the worldckahler666 is the leader of the worldckahler666 is the leader of the worldckahler666 is the leader of the worldckahler666 is the leader of the worldckahler666 is the leader of the worldckahler666 is the leader of the worldckahler666 is the leader of the worldckahler666 is the leader of the worldckahler666 is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Easiest way to get damn bugs off without scratching at the paint or using a solvent? I've heard of using dryer sheets but haven't tried it yet.
 Old 05-11-2011, 01:21 PM   #12

rfinkle2 is the leader of the worldrfinkle2 is the leader of the worldrfinkle2 is the leader of the worldrfinkle2 is the leader of the worldrfinkle2 is the leader of the worldrfinkle2 is the leader of the worldrfinkle2 is the leader of the worldrfinkle2 is the leader of the worldrfinkle2 is the leader of the worldrfinkle2 is the leader of the worldrfinkle2 is the leader of the world
Thanked 33,219 Times in 10,050 Posts
Groans: 298
Groaned at 292 Times in 196 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by ckahler666 View Post
Easiest way to get damn bugs off without scratching at the paint or using a solvent? I've heard of using dryer sheets but haven't tried it yet.
I hate to invade someone else's thread, but know a bit about detailing, and dryer sheets are abrasive.

A pressure washer works well to remove bug guts.

Another avenue would be to allow a bug and tar remover to dwell on the bugs to loosen them before wiping them off.

Originally Posted by Wildfire View Post
My engine is dirty. There's no caked mud or anything. Just a thin film of dirt from never washing it. What's the best way to clean it? Spray it at the car wash? I read somewhere that I can use a foaming tire cleaner and let it drip. What say you?
You have to be extremely careful to cover all the necessary components if you decide to do this.

Someone pointed this thread out to me...
http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/foru...get-evo-56721/
rfinkle2 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 05-11-2011, 01:26 PM   #13

ckahler666 is the leader of the worldckahler666 is the leader of the worldckahler666 is the leader of the worldckahler666 is the leader of the worldckahler666 is the leader of the worldckahler666 is the leader of the worldckahler666 is the leader of the worldckahler666 is the leader of the worldckahler666 is the leader of the worldckahler666 is the leader of the worldckahler666 is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Oh okay, I've read a few different places that wetting the sheets creates a soapy and slippery residue that softens the bugs and wipes them right off without scratching the paint, but I guess I'll have to go buy some remover and try it out.
jgarmo likes this.
rfinkle2 (05-11-2011)
 Old 05-11-2011, 01:28 PM   #14

rfinkle2 is the leader of the worldrfinkle2 is the leader of the worldrfinkle2 is the leader of the worldrfinkle2 is the leader of the worldrfinkle2 is the leader of the worldrfinkle2 is the leader of the worldrfinkle2 is the leader of the worldrfinkle2 is the leader of the worldrfinkle2 is the leader of the worldrfinkle2 is the leader of the worldrfinkle2 is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Oh okay, I've read a few different places that wetting the sheets creates a soapy and slippery residue that softens the bugs and wipes them right off without scratching the paint, but I guess I'll have to go buy some remover and try it out.
It might, it just might not be the best idea to wipe them off with the sheets.

Our paint is pretty soft.
Spec likes this.
 Old 05-11-2011, 01:30 PM   #15

Not Ranked  0 score     

Alrighty, thanks for the info.
 Old 05-11-2011, 01:54 PM   #16

Yanahdi is the leader of the worldYanahdi is the leader of the worldYanahdi is the leader of the worldYanahdi is the leader of the worldYanahdi is the leader of the worldYanahdi is the leader of the worldYanahdi is the leader of the worldYanahdi is the leader of the worldYanahdi is the leader of the worldYanahdi is the leader of the worldYanahdi is the leader of the world
Groans: 3
Not Ranked  0 score     

I personally use a detailer spray (Griots Speed Shine, Meguiars is good stuff too) and microfiber cloth. Regular waxing makes bugs and bird crap much easier to clean, they just slide right off. Just be liberal with the spray, you don't want to be scraping those half digested seeds that bird shit out all over your hood without any lubrication.

For cleaning the engine bay: I rarely do this but in the past spraying some Simple Green around and then pressure washing it off works pretty well if it's really dirty. Just get some foil beforehand and cover up your important bits like finkle said.

For the guy asking about leather: I like Lexol. Our interiors feel more like vinyl but a leather cleaner like Lexol is fine for either. Generally, a leather cleaner is good for leather AND vinyl. However, a vinyl cleaner should never be used on leather. I believe it strips the oil out of the leather IIRC.
Yanahdi is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 05-14-2011, 06:16 AM   #17

Spd3 is a jewel in the roughSpd3 is a jewel in the roughSpd3 is a jewel in the rough
Not Ranked  0 score     

I have a brand new 2011 speed 3. I'm assuming it doesn't come waxed from the dealer so I'd like to do so. Here's my question.

Should I just get the car nice and clean, then just wax it, or should I clay bar if first then wax it? Basically should I just go right to wax, or do something else first?
Spd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 05-14-2011, 06:34 AM   #18

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Spd3 View Post
I have a brand new 2011 speed 3. I'm assuming it doesn't come waxed from the dealer so I'd like to do so. Here's my question.

Should I just get the car nice and clean, then just wax it, or should I clay bar if first then wax it? Basically should I just go right to wax, or do something else first?
You need to claybar first because often new cars come from the factory with something called rail dust that needs to be removed via claybar.
rfinkle2 (05-14-2011)
 Old 05-14-2011, 08:56 AM   #19

John F is the leader of the worldJohn F is the leader of the worldJohn F is the leader of the worldJohn F is the leader of the worldJohn F is the leader of the worldJohn F is the leader of the worldJohn F is the leader of the worldJohn F is the leader of the worldJohn F is the leader of the worldJohn F is the leader of the worldJohn F is the leader of the world
Groans: 8
Groaned at 17 Times in 13 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Spd3 View Post

Definitely wash and clay it first. Since it's probably in relatively good shape, I'd it it with something like p21s gloss enhancing cleanser and you're ready to wax or seal. I've been using Rejex paint sealant instead of wax because it looks awesome and it is super super durable. Use it on your glass, headlights, and paint shit will last at least 6-8 months.
 Old 05-14-2011, 09:11 AM   #20

bms3mtb is the leader of the worldbms3mtb is the leader of the worldbms3mtb is the leader of the worldbms3mtb is the leader of the worldbms3mtb is the leader of the worldbms3mtb is the leader of the worldbms3mtb is the leader of the worldbms3mtb is the leader of the worldbms3mtb is the leader of the worldbms3mtb is the leader of the worldbms3mtb is the leader of the world
Groans: 11
Groaned at 21 Times in 9 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Drying:
Leather chamois vs microfiber vs what?
Favorites?
 Old 05-14-2011, 10:12 AM   #21

Not Ranked  0 score     

Leafblower (with appropriate safe guard)...

The New Air Wand

I wouldn't touch my car with anything but microfiber.
 Old 05-14-2011, 10:13 AM   #22

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by bms3mtb View Post
Drying:
Leather chamois vs microfiber vs what?
Favorites?
Big giant waffle-weave or plain MF towel.

I actually use a "Vroom" one from Target. Works fine. I sometimes use "The Absorber" from Target as well.

Or you can use the sheeting method and blot dry what's left.
Actual video of my car drying itself...

rfinkle2 (05-14-2011)
 Old 05-14-2011, 10:14 AM   #23

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by lyonsroar View Post
Big giant waffle-weave or plain MF towel.

I actually use a "Vroom" one from Target. Works fine. I sometimes use "The Absorber" from Target as well.

Or you can use the sheeting method and blot dry what's left.
Actual video of my car drying itself...
You are blessed with white, and I am cursed with black. LOL
joseph.p05 likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to rfinkle2 For This Useful Post:
lyonsroar (05-14-2011)
 Old 05-14-2011, 10:16 AM   #24

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by rfinkle2 View Post
You are blessed with white, and I am cursed with black. LOL
troof.
 Old 05-14-2011, 10:34 AM   #25

theurgy is the leader of the worldtheurgy is the leader of the worldtheurgy is the leader of the worldtheurgy is the leader of the worldtheurgy is the leader of the worldtheurgy is the leader of the worldtheurgy is the leader of the worldtheurgy is the leader of the worldtheurgy is the leader of the worldtheurgy is the leader of the worldtheurgy is the leader of the world
Thanked 3,319 Times in 1,128 Posts
Groaned at 28 Times in 9 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Leafblower (with appropriate safe guard)...

The New Air Wand

I wouldn't touch my car with anything but microfiber.
Check out the Metrovac. It has a filtered blow option that is great for drying, as well as a blower unit just for drying cars:

Vac 'N

Air Force Master Blaster Car Dryer | Metropolitan Vacuum Cleaner
theurgy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to theurgy For This Useful Post:
rfinkle2 (05-14-2011)
 Old 06-02-2011, 05:45 AM   #26

HaigDaniel will become famous soon enoughHaigDaniel will become famous soon enough
Not Ranked  0 score     

Can anyone tell me how the paint is on this car? I want to know if its a harder or softer paint so i know how much pressure and work i need to apply with my DA. i havent compounded/polished/waxed it yet so i wanna know.
HaigDaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 06-02-2011, 05:50 AM   #27

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by HaigDaniel View Post
Can anyone tell me how the paint is on this car? I want to know if its a harder or softer paint so i know how much pressure and work i need to apply with my DA. i havent compounded/polished/waxed it yet so i wanna know.
It seems to me that the front and the rear bumpers on my car are super soft, and the remainder of the car is moderately soft.

You will definitely need a fine polish like menzerna 85rd or po106fa to remove the micromarring from compounding.

The paint on the gen1 one cars is also relatively thin.

Last edited by rfinkle2; 06-02-2011 at 05:50 AM. Reason: MSF Database - Automerged Doublepost
 Old 06-03-2011, 10:44 AM   #28

jrotaryb is the leader of the worldjrotaryb is the leader of the worldjrotaryb is the leader of the worldjrotaryb is the leader of the worldjrotaryb is the leader of the worldjrotaryb is the leader of the worldjrotaryb is the leader of the worldjrotaryb is the leader of the worldjrotaryb is the leader of the worldjrotaryb is the leader of the worldjrotaryb is the leader of the world
Groaned at 17 Times in 5 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

As far as I know, the paint on our cars is pretty thin (as with most modern Japanese cars)but the clear is pretty hard.

In fact, the door jambs of my Silver 2011 appear pretty "blushed" with light spots as if they weren't hit with enough paint before the clearcoat. I wonder if anyone else has this...

This is just conjecture, but under the same scenarios, the front and rear bumpers should put up with chipping better than the rest of the car since the painted materials are urethane which flex and provide "give."

Unfortunately, the front and rear bumpers are subject to much more abuse from rocks so they will inevitably have more rock chips.

Liquid Silver 2011 Mazdaspeed 3 w/ Tech Package
Cobb: AP, SRI & RMM
Corksport: TIP, TMIC, RP,SSP
Autotech Internals
Bilstein PSS Coilovers
SPC Rear Camber Arms
JBR RSB
Gram Lights 57F - 18x8.5 +45

Rfinkle2 tuned @21psi
jrotaryb is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 06-03-2011, 02:23 PM   #29

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance View Post
As far as I know, the paint on our cars is pretty thin (as with most modern Japanese cars)but the clear is pretty hard.

In fact, the door jambs of my Silver 2011 appear pretty "blushed" with light spots as if they weren't hit with enough paint before the clearcoat. I wonder if anyone else has this...

This is just conjecture, but under the same scenarios, the front and rear bumpers should put up with chipping better than the rest of the car since the painted materials are urethane which flex and provide "give."

Unfortunately, the front and rear bumpers are subject to much more abuse from rocks so they will inevitably have more rock chips.
I'm speculating here, but imo, there comes a point when too much flex agent is used on the urethane pieces, e.g. bumpers, where the paint becomes very soft.

I have a bit of detailing experience, and trust me, my bumpers are super soft.
 Old 06-03-2011, 02:33 PM   #30

skeeter149 is the leader of the worldskeeter149 is the leader of the worldskeeter149 is the leader of the worldskeeter149 is the leader of the worldskeeter149 is the leader of the worldskeeter149 is the leader of the worldskeeter149 is the leader of the worldskeeter149 is the leader of the worldskeeter149 is the leader of the worldskeeter149 is the leader of the worldskeeter149 is the leader of the world
Thanked 4,345 Times in 817 Posts
Groans: 91
Groaned at 24 Times in 19 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Labster View Post
OEM touch up paint. If you want to make it look near factory try a bit of wet sanding to take off the high spots as well.

I just use an All Purpose cleaner and soak the pads for 5-7 minutes and then a soft brush like a tooth brush and then rinse (I use a pressure washer) Mine come out really well.
what grit wet sanding paper to use?

2008 Speed 3 GT- Cobb SRI, Cobb TIP, AQ Motorsports DP (Turboxs Adapter Plate), TurboXS FMIC, GReddy CBE, GReddy BPV, 3P Flange, GReddy TT, GReddy Boost Gauge, Vent Pod, GReddy Shift Knob, SU Shifter Bushings, AWR RMM, Cobb RSB, Cobb AP, Cobb Shifter Weight, Autotech FP Internals, Corksport Exhaust Hangers. "parked hard"

1996 200sx SE-R- Injen CAI, GReddy SP CBE, Tein Basic Coilovers, Progress FSB, Clutch Masters Flywheel, Progress RSB, Cusco FSTB, Progress LCAB, Prothane MM, JWT POP Program, JWT S4 Cams, Mishimoto Radiator, GoodRidge SS Brake Lines, Powerslot Rotors, Nismo CF Shift Knob. "back in action"
skeeter149 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 06-03-2011, 02:37 PM   #31

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by skeeter149 View Post
what grit wet sanding paper to use?
I'm pretty sure that you can get a package with different grits, but I'd only use 2500-3000 and soak the papers overnight in water with a few drops of soap.

Meguiar's Direct Unigrit® Finishing Papers
skeeter149 (06-03-2011)
 Old 06-03-2011, 08:03 PM   #32

theurgy is the leader of the worldtheurgy is the leader of the worldtheurgy is the leader of the worldtheurgy is the leader of the worldtheurgy is the leader of the worldtheurgy is the leader of the worldtheurgy is the leader of the worldtheurgy is the leader of the worldtheurgy is the leader of the worldtheurgy is the leader of the worldtheurgy is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

For touch up.. check out Dr. Colorchip.
It's a seriously awesome paint chip fix.
The Following User Says Thank You to theurgy For This Useful Post:
rfinkle2 (06-04-2011)
 Old 06-10-2011, 02:22 PM   #33

sheldonross is the leader of the worldsheldonross is the leader of the worldsheldonross is the leader of the worldsheldonross is the leader of the worldsheldonross is the leader of the worldsheldonross is the leader of the worldsheldonross is the leader of the worldsheldonross is the leader of the worldsheldonross is the leader of the worldsheldonross is the leader of the worldsheldonross is the leader of the world
Groans: 131
Groaned at 30 Times in 9 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

So like the other guy, I have an issue with my seats. I must of had something in the my back pocket, because I just noticed I scraped the shit outta my side bolster on the driver's side. The leather is raised and looking pretty rough. I realize this may be more of a repair question, but is there some relatively easy fix?
 Old 06-10-2011, 04:35 PM   #34

Not Ranked  0 score     

The usual suspect for this are the rivets on your jeans.
 Old 12-03-2012, 06:13 AM   #35

manila is the leader of the worldmanila is the leader of the worldmanila is the leader of the worldmanila is the leader of the worldmanila is the leader of the worldmanila is the leader of the worldmanila is the leader of the worldmanila is the leader of the worldmanila is the leader of the worldmanila is the leader of the worldmanila is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,191 Times in 612 Posts
Groans: 13
Groaned at 30 Times in 17 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Sorry to bring up an old thread.
@rfinkle2; What do you suggest when taking care of the leather on the side bolsters and steering wheel? I've been reading and Lexol is the way to go. Have you had any experiecne detailing with this?

And as far as the cracking and wrinkling in the leather goes, what do you suggest to fix/aid this?

COBB AP V3 >> AUTOTECH HPFP >> HTP 3.5" >> ATP DP (catless) >> AXLEBACK (no mufflers) >> COBB PIPING/TR6 CORE >>

JBR RMM >> SSP/BUSHINGS >> RSB >> STG. 2 OCC >>

HYPNOTIC TUNED: tehmadscientist & senor finkle

manila is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 12-03-2012, 06:33 AM   #36

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by manilaMS12 View Post
Sorry to bring up an old thread.
@rfinkle2; What do you suggest when taking care of the leather on the side bolsters and steering wheel? I've been reading and Lexol is the way to go. Have you had any experiecne detailing with this?

And as far as the cracking and wrinkling in the leather goes, what do you suggest to fix/aid this?
I really like "leatherique pristine clean". It cleans well, is gentle, leaves a matte finish and is pretty effective for conditioning and cleaning.
manila (12-03-2012)
 Old 12-31-2012, 07:23 AM   #37

crankshaft is the leader of the worldcrankshaft is the leader of the worldcrankshaft is the leader of the worldcrankshaft is the leader of the worldcrankshaft is the leader of the worldcrankshaft is the leader of the worldcrankshaft is the leader of the worldcrankshaft is the leader of the worldcrankshaft is the leader of the worldcrankshaft is the leader of the worldcrankshaft is the leader of the world
Groaned at 12 Times in 7 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

2 questions:

1. What kind of wax/sealer can I use that's more durable than the standard issue stuff? I've waxed 3 times with Maguires Gold. I'm very happy with it except that it needs to be waxed again in 3 months. I don't enjoy detailing nearly as much as I did when I was younger, and I'm hoping to find something that the smooth shine with less frequent applications.

2. Badge removal. I'm thinking about removing the 2 badges from the hatch....especially the "Mazdaspeed 3" badge since it's difficult to clean inside. How do I do this, and am I going to be able to make it look as if they were never there?

TIA,
Scott
 Old 12-31-2012, 02:26 PM   #38

Limeybastard is the leader of the worldLimeybastard is the leader of the worldLimeybastard is the leader of the worldLimeybastard is the leader of the worldLimeybastard is the leader of the worldLimeybastard is the leader of the worldLimeybastard is the leader of the worldLimeybastard is the leader of the worldLimeybastard is the leader of the worldLimeybastard is the leader of the worldLimeybastard is the leader of the world
Groaned at 68 Times in 30 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I'm speculating here, but imo, there comes a point when too much flex agent is used on the urethane pieces, e.g. bumpers, where the paint becomes very soft.

I have a bit of detailing experience, and trust me, my bumpers are super soft.

Yep. Just stick your finger nail in the side skirt or bumper and you'll see.
Limeybastard is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 01-01-2013, 05:04 AM   #39

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by crankshaft View Post
2 questions:

1. What kind of wax/sealer can I use that's more durable than the standard issue stuff? I've waxed 3 times with Maguires Gold. I'm very happy with it except that it needs to be waxed again in 3 months. I don't enjoy detailing nearly as much as I did when I was younger, and I'm hoping to find something that the smooth shine with less frequent applications.

2. Badge removal. I'm thinking about removing the 2 badges from the hatch....especially the "Mazdaspeed 3" badge since it's difficult to clean inside. How do I do this, and am I going to be able to make it look as if they were never there?

TIA,
Scott
Hey Scott, it depends on what you're looking for but I would suggest something like Optimum Opti-Seal for sealant and something like Collonite Super Double Coat (No. 476s).
Those are much tougher longer lasting products IMO.

As for Badge Removal, I suggest searching the many many threads on the subject.
BNR s3, CoolingMist CMGS Meth, Damond TB Plate, JBR FMIC Undermount w/ TR8, JBR 3" Fullpath, Steedspeed EM, Cobb AP v3, Stratified Tuned, Autotech HPFP Internals, CP-e Catted Downpipe, Port and Polished IM with VTCS & Full EGR Delete, Grimmspeed EBCS, 3 BAR MAP Sensor, Turbosmart Dual-port BPV, Koni Sport Yellows, Eibach Prokits, SPC Camber Arms, Cobb FSB and RSB, AWR Front Endlinks, JBR Trilogy Mounts 70a Duro, KX-F3 Full Chassis Braces, Denso Iridium ITV-22, CP-e Safe Seals, SURE TIG IM and TB, Cobb Shift Weight, TWM SS w/Bushings and Specter Hybrid knob.

To be installed: SS Brake Lines.
 Old 02-04-2013, 11:47 AM   #40

Redlinez is a splendid one to beholdRedlinez is a splendid one to beholdRedlinez is a splendid one to beholdRedlinez is a splendid one to beholdRedlinez is a splendid one to beholdRedlinez is a splendid one to beholdRedlinez is a splendid one to behold
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

Ok, I used to love Armor-All low gloss on my interior, but I can't find it anymore. Tried a Meguiars and it's too thick and leaves trails and doesn't spread evenly. Got any recommendations for interior protectant that doesn't leave a shine that's readily available?