register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3 MZR Gen2 Forums (2010-2013)
> 2010 MS3 - Appearance > Exterior

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By gotovato
  • 1 Post By shamie

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 01-01-2018, 08:47 PM   #1

gotovato is a splendid one to beholdgotovato is a splendid one to beholdgotovato is a splendid one to beholdgotovato is a splendid one to beholdgotovato is a splendid one to beholdgotovato is a splendid one to beholdgotovato is a splendid one to behold
Groans: 0
Groaned at 2 Times in 1 Post
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default Front splitter options?

Hey all,

I've been doing some looking around at the front splitter options for my 2011 ms3. Seems to be a few options. I've looked at the one from strafe designs, Mazdaspeednation, and Aeroflow dynamics. All seem like good options but my big concern is mounting strength as the car is tracked and sees speeds in the 100-125mph range. My big worry is the splitter ripping off. does anyone here have any experience with any of these splitters? Is the mounting secure enough to be effective at high speeds? Any info would be great, thanks!!
2011 ms3 Cobb AP, Forge bypass valve, HPFP internals, Cobb downpipe, Custom fmic w/mishimoto core, Cobb RMM, Cobb EBC, KW coilovers, whiteline RSB, stop tech fluid, stop tech SS brake lines, hawk HP+ pads, ACT 6 puck clutch, ATP 3071r, HTP 3.5" intake, Damond catch can, TunedbyNishan
gotovato is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 01-02-2018, 02:47 AM   #2
dp3

dp3 is a splendid one to beholddp3 is a splendid one to beholddp3 is a splendid one to beholddp3 is a splendid one to beholddp3 is a splendid one to beholddp3 is a splendid one to beholddp3 is a splendid one to beholddp3 is a splendid one to behold
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I have the Corksport spoiler-splitter. Decent material and MFG and excellent mounting design. Have had it up to speed and hit-scraped stuff and it is still on, though it did shatter. The design has a lip which trips on basically anything, and will cause the piece to sheer at the point where it mounts to the body. Mine did this basically on it's first drive-test. I fixed that by doing a fiberglass strand epoxy fill on the underside and removing the vertical lip. I have seen a few designed similarly, for a lot less money, but have not tried them. I know a few people on here have though.
13 MS3 Eibach Pro kit Springs, Koni Ylw. F and R, Tanabe strut tower brace, 25 MM rear bar,CPE R mount, ETS TMIC, Autotech HPFP, ITV-22, CS: CAI, Cold Air Box, Boost tubes, Race Pipe, front spoiler. Forge BPV, Hypertech tune, Amsoil fluids,Philips DV H-11's and 9505's, Traklite RPM 18x8 +45 offset rims, 15mm Ichiba spacers(F&R) Rolled fenders w 235-40 Y rubber, Tint, Remix Rear Lip, Radar detector.
dp3 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 01-02-2018, 04:28 AM   #3

gotovato is a splendid one to beholdgotovato is a splendid one to beholdgotovato is a splendid one to beholdgotovato is a splendid one to beholdgotovato is a splendid one to beholdgotovato is a splendid one to beholdgotovato is a splendid one to behold
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Ok thanks for the info. I'm just worried about a wind splitter ripping off at higher speeds is all. Would really hate for my $350+ splitter to break off and damage my bumper
2011 ms3 Cobb AP, Forge bypass valve, HPFP internals, Cobb downpipe, Custom fmic w/mishimoto core, Cobb RMM, Cobb EBC, KW coilovers, whiteline RSB, stop tech fluid, stop tech SS brake lines, hawk HP+ pads, ACT 6 puck clutch, ATP 3071r, HTP 3.5" intake, Damond catch can, TunedbyNishan
 Old 01-02-2018, 08:17 PM   #4
dp3

dp3 is a splendid one to beholddp3 is a splendid one to beholddp3 is a splendid one to beholddp3 is a splendid one to beholddp3 is a splendid one to beholddp3 is a splendid one to beholddp3 is a splendid one to beholddp3 is a splendid one to behold
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by gotovato View Post
Ok thanks for the info. I'm just worried about a wind splitter ripping off at higher speeds is all. Would really hate for my $350+ splitter to break off and damage my bumper
I have seen well over the speeds you have mentioned. Overhang is an issue with the MS3, which gets very tricky if your car is lowered for track usage. You can run an extended splitter into the ground in heavy braking on a turn going downhill. Most of those should be able to flex up. The problem with the Corksport is that the design causes it to fold under. Mine literally tore a 12 inch piece off at about 5 MPH driving down my street. Went and found the piece, repaired it and now when it happens it just flexes up and goes back down to doing it's job. Design is important. Now if it scrapes, nothing happens. The high speed track test was after the fix, FYI.
13 MS3 Eibach Pro kit Springs, Koni Ylw. F and R, Tanabe strut tower brace, 25 MM rear bar,CPE R mount, ETS TMIC, Autotech HPFP, ITV-22, CS: CAI, Cold Air Box, Boost tubes, Race Pipe, front spoiler. Forge BPV, Hypertech tune, Amsoil fluids,Philips DV H-11's and 9505's, Traklite RPM 18x8 +45 offset rims, 15mm Ichiba spacers(F&R) Rolled fenders w 235-40 Y rubber, Tint, Remix Rear Lip, Radar detector.
dp3 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 01-03-2018, 03:11 AM   #5

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Thanks for the input. I am worried about heavy braking and the splitter hitting the ground hard enough to break although my car isn't crazy low. My biggest concern is the wind resistance tearing it off though. I guess with enough bolts an washers for mounting it should be ok.
dp3 likes this.
 Old 01-03-2018, 06:58 AM   #6

shamie is the leader of the worldshamie is the leader of the worldshamie is the leader of the worldshamie is the leader of the worldshamie is the leader of the worldshamie is the leader of the worldshamie is the leader of the worldshamie is the leader of the worldshamie is the leader of the worldshamie is the leader of the worldshamie is the leader of the world
Groans: 2
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I don't trust any of the splitters (most of what you referenced) that primarily mount to the bumper. I also see too many splitter rods just bolted to the bumper also. Purely for show as the bumper material is worthless structurally.

I will be making my own in the next months for the upcoming track season. The first revision will mount to the radiator support with rods/straps to the FMIC mounting points. If that design is not sufficient I'll make it larger/lower by mounting it further back to the subframe. That would drop it another inch and may be too low.
dp3 likes this.
2009 MGM MS3 - / HTP 3"/ COBB AP, FMIC, RMM, & DP / AT Internals / Manley Rods & Pistons / ARP studs & bolts / Koyorad radiator / DM OCCs / ACT Clutch / Bilstein B16 / CS Camber Plates, Camber Arms, & Seals / JBR .125 RSB, 51R Battery Box & Raider's AD / StopTech Brakes
shamie is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 01-03-2018, 07:15 AM   #7

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by shamie View Post
I don't trust any of the splitters (most of what you referenced) that primarily mount to the bumper. I also see too many splitter rods just bolted to the bumper also. Purely for show as the bumper material is worthless structurally.

I will be making my own in the next months for the upcoming track season. The first revision will mount to the radiator support with rods/straps to the FMIC mounting points. If that design is not sufficient I'll make it larger/lower by mounting it further back to the subframe. That would drop it another inch and may be too low.
And this was what I was worried about. Mounting to the bumper isn't strong enough in my mind. Strafe designs does have an option for a front splitter that goes under the front end and replaces the factory under tray. That would be a good amount of bolt locations plus the support rods. I was also playing with the idea of making some brackets welded off the crash bar and mounting the support rods to that through the bumper so it still looks ok.
 Old 02-10-2019, 11:58 AM   #8

jeffdevo has a reputation beyond reputejeffdevo has a reputation beyond reputejeffdevo has a reputation beyond reputejeffdevo has a reputation beyond reputejeffdevo has a reputation beyond reputejeffdevo has a reputation beyond reputejeffdevo has a reputation beyond reputejeffdevo has a reputation beyond reputejeffdevo has a reputation beyond reputejeffdevo has a reputation beyond reputejeffdevo has a reputation beyond repute
Groaned at 5 Times in 3 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

BMSpec has a track tested splitter.
-Low Beam/ Fog HIDS - Lamin-X Yellow Tint on Fog Lights - TSW Mallory Wheels - Thule Bike Rack with 598 Criterium Bike Mount - GX-65 with Blendmount - Corksport RMM - Corksport Mudflaps - Corksport SRI - Corksport Rear Sway Bar - GX-65 radar laser detector - TRS Angel Eyes - Rear bumper LED Light - H&R Springs - Koni Yellow Struts - JBR Camber Arms - AP v2 -Autotech internals - Tork Motorsports Tuned - Halos - Strips - D2 Xenon Lights - SST brake lines - Stoptech Sport brake and rotors w/ sst Brake lines
[/I][/SIZE][/FONT]
jeffdevo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jeffdevo For This Useful Post:
Tomas (02-11-2019)