register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
Mazdaspeed Forums Knowledge Base
>
Mazdaspeed Forums Knowledge Base (Gen1 - Gen 2)
> MSF KB - Mazdaspeed 3/6 - Engine, Transmission & Driveline

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!
Like Tree1Likes

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 08-01-2011, 05:15 AM   #321

Silver Ecstasy is the leader of the worldSilver Ecstasy is the leader of the worldSilver Ecstasy is the leader of the worldSilver Ecstasy is the leader of the worldSilver Ecstasy is the leader of the worldSilver Ecstasy is the leader of the worldSilver Ecstasy is the leader of the worldSilver Ecstasy is the leader of the worldSilver Ecstasy is the leader of the worldSilver Ecstasy is the leader of the worldSilver Ecstasy is the leader of the world
Groans: 24
Groaned at 81 Times in 33 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

A lot of the exhausts sound real nasty, gutter-sounding, raspy.

The VAST exhaust sounds great imo.
2011 LSM Mazdaspeed 3 Sport w/tech pkg - sold
 Old 08-01-2011, 08:45 PM   #322
Ur moms boyfriend

forcedinduktion is the leader of the worldforcedinduktion is the leader of the worldforcedinduktion is the leader of the worldforcedinduktion is the leader of the worldforcedinduktion is the leader of the worldforcedinduktion is the leader of the worldforcedinduktion is the leader of the worldforcedinduktion is the leader of the worldforcedinduktion is the leader of the worldforcedinduktion is the leader of the worldforcedinduktion is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,265 Times in 763 Posts
Groans: 70
Groaned at 99 Times in 70 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

exactly! especially when fully catless
 Old 08-01-2011, 08:51 PM   #323

Silver Ecstasy is the leader of the worldSilver Ecstasy is the leader of the worldSilver Ecstasy is the leader of the worldSilver Ecstasy is the leader of the worldSilver Ecstasy is the leader of the worldSilver Ecstasy is the leader of the worldSilver Ecstasy is the leader of the worldSilver Ecstasy is the leader of the worldSilver Ecstasy is the leader of the worldSilver Ecstasy is the leader of the worldSilver Ecstasy is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

I'm all about an exhaust sounding BETTER than stock, not full-out shittier than stock.
 Old 08-03-2011, 06:58 PM   #324

BigJimMs3 is the leader of the worldBigJimMs3 is the leader of the worldBigJimMs3 is the leader of the worldBigJimMs3 is the leader of the worldBigJimMs3 is the leader of the worldBigJimMs3 is the leader of the worldBigJimMs3 is the leader of the worldBigJimMs3 is the leader of the worldBigJimMs3 is the leader of the worldBigJimMs3 is the leader of the worldBigJimMs3 is the leader of the world
Thanked 6,467 Times in 2,527 Posts
Groans: 76
Groaned at 22 Times in 20 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

This was alittle pull in 3rd gear at wot...
Bolt on's and tune
2015 Taurus S.H.O
Intake/Tune
2016 Ford Explorer Sport
Stock
 Old 08-03-2011, 09:49 PM   #325

adrager622 is the leader of the worldadrager622 is the leader of the worldadrager622 is the leader of the worldadrager622 is the leader of the worldadrager622 is the leader of the worldadrager622 is the leader of the worldadrager622 is the leader of the worldadrager622 is the leader of the worldadrager622 is the leader of the worldadrager622 is the leader of the worldadrager622 is the leader of the world
Groans: 46
Groaned at 5 Times in 5 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by RODSCALIMS3 View Post
As promised, will get better clips later.......

&#x202a2010 MS3 Racing Beat CBE&#x202c‏ - YouTube
I honestly think that hearing this vid soldified me getting this exhaust. Sounds sick in my opinion and looks good.
 Old 08-10-2011, 10:42 AM   #326

skeurton is the leader of the worldskeurton is the leader of the worldskeurton is the leader of the worldskeurton is the leader of the worldskeurton is the leader of the worldskeurton is the leader of the worldskeurton is the leader of the worldskeurton is the leader of the worldskeurton is the leader of the worldskeurton is the leader of the worldskeurton is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,814 Times in 555 Posts
Groans: 1
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I just checked out the Corksport site today and it looks like the CBE has gone through a redesign:

Looks like there are now two smaller mufflers instead of one large one. I'm wondering if this now works with the stock chassis brace, as it doesn't look like it includes their brace anymore either.

Kinda interesting because I recently sent an email to Derrick about my exhaust actually contacting and resting on top of their brace. It doesn't rattle or anything, but I discovered this over the weekend only because I got underneath to replace one of the the donut gaskets. Just sent him an email asking about this redesign, too. Will update if I find anything out.

BNR Supercars Stage 3 Turbo Aquamist HFS-4 Alcohol Injection Cobb Tuning AccesPORT • AccessTUNER Race KMD Tuning HPFP Internals v2.2 NGK 6510 Spark Plugs Bosch 3-Bar MAP Sensor Saikou Michi Oil Catch Can Grimmspeed 3-Port EBCS JBR TIGs • EGR Delete • Rear Sway Bar • RMM • PSMM • TMM HTP 3" TIP • Battery Tray SURE Motorsports 3" MAF • Shortcut • CounterShift • Anchors • AGS 621g Shift Knob Ultimate Racing Catted Downpipe • Test Pipe • Cat-Back Exhaust CP-e FMIC • SAFEseals Turbosmart Dual Port BOV PTP Injector Seal Studs EBC RedStuff Brake Pads • UPR Rotors Swift Spec R Springs Bilstein B8 Shocks SPC Performance Rear Camber Arms Tanabe Sustec Strut Tower Brace TWM Performance Full Replacement Shifter 5zοgen ZR+ 18x7.5 (Ceramic Bronze) Nitto NeoGen Tires Rally Armor Mud Flaps Morimoto 6000K HID Replacement Bulbs DDM Tuning 3000K HID Fog Lights Headlight Armor Yellow Fog Overlays Qualir QL-MZD723 Headunit Glowshift Mechanical Boost Gauge • A-Pillar Gauge Pod Aeroforce Dual Interceptor Gauges
 Old 08-10-2011, 11:02 AM   #327

wolly6973 is the leader of the worldwolly6973 is the leader of the worldwolly6973 is the leader of the worldwolly6973 is the leader of the worldwolly6973 is the leader of the worldwolly6973 is the leader of the worldwolly6973 is the leader of the worldwolly6973 is the leader of the worldwolly6973 is the leader of the worldwolly6973 is the leader of the worldwolly6973 is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,558 Times in 1,132 Posts
Groans: 386
Groaned at 12 Times in 12 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

That's kind of weird. The one tip has a 2nd muffler on it, while the other just has the 1 upstream...
 Old 08-10-2011, 06:26 PM   #328

stang9779 is the leader of the worldstang9779 is the leader of the worldstang9779 is the leader of the worldstang9779 is the leader of the worldstang9779 is the leader of the worldstang9779 is the leader of the worldstang9779 is the leader of the worldstang9779 is the leader of the worldstang9779 is the leader of the worldstang9779 is the leader of the worldstang9779 is the leader of the world
Groans: 3
Groaned at 15 Times in 4 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by wolly6973 View Post
That's kind of weird. The one tip has a 2nd muffler on it, while the other just has the 1 upstream...
I just installed my CS CBE a few weeks ago. You dont need the brace anymore. the drivers side only gets one muffler and the passanger side goes through two. It still sounds nice and is louder then the stock.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk
GTX3071r - Cobb AP - CP-e Big TIP, XcelXL - Hallman PRO RX MBC - Steedspeed exhaust manifold - CS TMIC, CBE, Air Box, Interior LED kit, Mud Flaps - JBR EGR Block off, 88D RMM, 80D PMM, 88D TMM, HSK, RSB, SSP - KMD V2.1 internals - CNT DP - Forge BPV V2 - MD OCC - TWM FSS - NGK LTR7IX-11 - Konig Kilograms 18x8 +45 on 245/40zr18 Hankook V12's - H&R sport springs - SPC RC kit - Aeroforces Dual gauges - DDM tunning HID 35w 6000k - 20% black window tint, clear bra
Future Mods DO stage 2 WMI, Intake manifold of some type.
 Old 08-10-2011, 10:16 PM   #329
Banned

jwilkins88 is the leader of the worldjwilkins88 is the leader of the worldjwilkins88 is the leader of the worldjwilkins88 is the leader of the worldjwilkins88 is the leader of the worldjwilkins88 is the leader of the worldjwilkins88 is the leader of the worldjwilkins88 is the leader of the worldjwilkins88 is the leader of the worldjwilkins88 is the leader of the worldjwilkins88 is the leader of the world
Thanked 19,469 Times in 2,476 Posts
Groans: 126
Groaned at 59 Times in 47 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

jwilkins88 exhaust:

Old 08-11-2011, 12:36 AM   #330

f-castrillo is the leader of the worldf-castrillo is the leader of the worldf-castrillo is the leader of the worldf-castrillo is the leader of the worldf-castrillo is the leader of the worldf-castrillo is the leader of the worldf-castrillo is the leader of the worldf-castrillo is the leader of the worldf-castrillo is the leader of the worldf-castrillo is the leader of the worldf-castrillo is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,044 Times in 427 Posts
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

This might be a longshot, but does anybody have the sound levels (dB) for the stock cat back, CP-e's turbo back, Corksport's CBE, and any other relevant TBE/CBEs? Part of me wants to upgrade the CBE to compliment my CNT catted DP, but I don't want something that will significantly increase sound levels over stock.
JBR RSB, Stage2 OCC, Stage 2 SSP, IM TIG, 70D RMM, 70D PMM // DevilsOwn Stage 2 WMI kit + DO7 nozzle (MSF-prize) // COBB AP (Self-tune), XLE BPV // Corksport TMIC, SRI, TIP // Racing Beat Cat-back Exhaust // Denso Iridium ITV22 Spark Plugs // SURE TB TIG // Ultimate Racing Test Pipe // KMD HPFP Internals // TSW Nurburgring 18x7.5 ET45 Matte Black // SWIFT Spec-R Lowering Springs //
 Old 08-11-2011, 07:07 AM   #331
Banned

jwilkins88 is the leader of the worldjwilkins88 is the leader of the worldjwilkins88 is the leader of the worldjwilkins88 is the leader of the worldjwilkins88 is the leader of the worldjwilkins88 is the leader of the worldjwilkins88 is the leader of the worldjwilkins88 is the leader of the worldjwilkins88 is the leader of the worldjwilkins88 is the leader of the worldjwilkins88 is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by f-castrillo View Post
This might be a longshot, but does anybody have the sound levels (dB) for the stock cat back, CP-e's turbo back, Corksport's CBE, and any other relevant TBE/CBEs? Part of me wants to upgrade the CBE to compliment my CNT catted DP, but I don't want something that will significantly increase sound levels over stock.
Then why upgrade the catback? Until you hit like 350+ whp, the stock catback is fine on these cars. It's simply an upgrade for sound
 Old 08-11-2011, 08:19 AM   #332

f-castrillo is the leader of the worldf-castrillo is the leader of the worldf-castrillo is the leader of the worldf-castrillo is the leader of the worldf-castrillo is the leader of the worldf-castrillo is the leader of the worldf-castrillo is the leader of the worldf-castrillo is the leader of the worldf-castrillo is the leader of the worldf-castrillo is the leader of the worldf-castrillo is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by jwilkins88 View Post
Then why upgrade the catback? Until you hit like 350+ whp, the stock catback is fine on these cars. It's simply an upgrade for sound
I'm reading reports that go both ways, that the stock CBE flows well up to 350whp. But I've also seen a few reports here that said that there was a decent bump in MAF g/s from an aftermarket cat-back alone.

Still, in the event that I do hit 350whp (we'll see), I don't want to upgrade to a cat back that makes the car obnoxiously loud. I like the gurgle associated with the CS CBE, but I don't want much of the increased volume that comes with it.
JBR RSB, Stage2 OCC, Stage 2 SSP, IM TIG, 70D RMM, 70D PMM // DevilsOwn Stage 2 WMI kit + DO7 nozzle (MSF-prize) // COBB AP (Self-tune), XLE BPV // Corksport TMIC, SRI, TIP // Racing Beat Cat-back Exhaust // Denso Iridium ITV22 Spark Plugs // SURE TB TIG // Ultimate Racing Test Pipe // KMD HPFP Internals // TSW Nurburgring 18x7.5 ET45 Matte Black // SWIFT Spec-R Lowering Springs //
 Old 08-11-2011, 08:23 AM   #333

adlpb is the leader of the worldadlpb is the leader of the worldadlpb is the leader of the worldadlpb is the leader of the worldadlpb is the leader of the worldadlpb is the leader of the worldadlpb is the leader of the worldadlpb is the leader of the worldadlpb is the leader of the worldadlpb is the leader of the worldadlpb is the leader of the world
Thanked 11,952 Times in 4,235 Posts
Groans: 669
Groaned at 34 Times in 32 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I'm reading reports that go both ways, that the stock CBE flows well up to 350whp. But I've also seen a few reports here that said that there was a decent bump in MAF g/s from an aftermarket cat-back alone.

Still, in the event that I do hit 350whp (we'll see), I don't want to upgrade to a cat back that makes the car obnoxiously loud. I like the gurgle associated with the CS CBE, but I don't want much of the increased volume that comes with it.
The "deepest" is given by the UR CBE. But it is also loud, not annoyingly loud but definitely louder than stock. If you keep your windows up and turn the radio up to about 25-30, you can barely hear it when highway driving. In the city, you'll be able to hear it a bit more. Windows down, you can definitely hear it.

The only annoyance I've found is the first 20 seconds or so when cold-starting the car. It is LOUD. After that it goes back to normal.

But if you want a kinda deep tone with almost stock volume, look into CS and Magnaflow (be aware that magnaflow tapers the pipe down to 2.25 inches)

Fast cars are for straight lines. Corners are for fast drivers.

2006 Corvette Z06 - AKA "El Zorro"

Sold: 2012 Evolution X GSR - 394awhp / 378awtq

Sold: 2011 MS3 Hypnotic Tuned @ 322whp/370tq
 Old 08-11-2011, 08:26 AM   #334
Banned

Not Ranked  0 score     

+1

The CS is pretty mellow when cruising and idling. You know it's there, but it's not obnoxious
 Old 08-11-2011, 08:33 AM   #335

Monotonous ONE is the leader of the worldMonotonous ONE is the leader of the worldMonotonous ONE is the leader of the worldMonotonous ONE is the leader of the worldMonotonous ONE is the leader of the worldMonotonous ONE is the leader of the worldMonotonous ONE is the leader of the worldMonotonous ONE is the leader of the worldMonotonous ONE is the leader of the worldMonotonous ONE is the leader of the worldMonotonous ONE is the leader of the world
Thanked 9,066 Times in 2,314 Posts
Groans: 819
Groaned at 86 Times in 66 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

The design on the corksport is interesting.

It appears to have a muffler and then when the pipes separate...theres another muffler on only one side.

I find that very interesting...maybe they are trying to quiet it down a tad. Or maybe give two different tones at once...i dunno...crazy
 Old 08-11-2011, 08:43 AM   #336

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by jwilkins88 View Post
+1

The CS is pretty mellow when cruising and idling. You know it's there, but it's not obnoxious
I've been eyeing the CS CBE for a while now. That might be in the car's future in the next 6 months or so. As long as I can cruise on the freeway for extended periods of time without going deaf or the gf complaining about noise.

Here's a video of the Mazdaspeed CBE on my older 3. My gf complains about how loud it can get sometimes, though I wonder if it's really just because there's no power to back up the sound lol. I know it's a kind of difficult to compare my old CBE to Corksport's CBE for the MS3, but if anybody had the MS CBE on an older 3 in the past that has the CS on their Speed3 now, feel free to chime in

Old 08-11-2011, 08:44 AM   #337

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by adlpb View Post
Magnaflow (be aware that magnaflow tapers the pipe down to 2.25 inches)
Tapers to 2.5", not 2.25".
 Old 08-11-2011, 08:51 AM   #338

adlpb is the leader of the worldadlpb is the leader of the worldadlpb is the leader of the worldadlpb is the leader of the worldadlpb is the leader of the worldadlpb is the leader of the worldadlpb is the leader of the worldadlpb is the leader of the worldadlpb is the leader of the worldadlpb is the leader of the worldadlpb is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Silver Ecstasy View Post
Tapers to 2.5", not 2.25".
You're incorrect. Click here Definitive Exhaust Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 09:22 AM   #339

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by adlpb View Post
You're incorrect. Click here Definitive Exhaust Thread
I've been going back and forth on this. I'm just going to email Magnaflow to get to the bottom of it.
 Old 08-11-2011, 09:30 AM   #340

wolly6973 is the leader of the worldwolly6973 is the leader of the worldwolly6973 is the leader of the worldwolly6973 is the leader of the worldwolly6973 is the leader of the worldwolly6973 is the leader of the worldwolly6973 is the leader of the worldwolly6973 is the leader of the worldwolly6973 is the leader of the worldwolly6973 is the leader of the worldwolly6973 is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

I've been eyeing the CS CBE for a while now. That might be in the car's future in the next 6 months or so. As long as I can cruise on the freeway for extended periods of time without going deaf or the gf complaining about noise.

Here's a video of the Mazdaspeed CBE on my older 3. My gf complains about how loud it can get sometimes, though I wonder if it's really just because there's no power to back up the sound lol. I know it's a kind of difficult to compare my old CBE to Corksport's CBE for the MS3, but if anybody had the MS CBE on an older 3 in the past that has the CS on their Speed3 now, feel free to chime in
If you don't want it to be loud, don't get the CS. I bought it when it first came out, and took it off after the first day.
It sounds awesome, but it gave me a headache to drive the car.
Drone was fine when cruising, but under part throttle it was loud as hell, even louder than WOT.
 Old 08-11-2011, 09:34 AM   #341

Not Ranked  0 score     

Ho hum, I guess I'll wait for some more clips of the Racing Beat exhaust. It sounds pretty quiet, although it lacks the gurgle the CS has
 Old 08-11-2011, 09:43 AM   #342

Not Ranked  0 score     

Honestly, video clips don't do much justice. They'll give you a good idea of what the tone is, but not the volume. Most cameras tend to silence them down. You really have to hear it in person to have an idea. See if any pu's near cali want to show you.

Old 08-11-2011, 09:53 AM   #343

skeurton is the leader of the worldskeurton is the leader of the worldskeurton is the leader of the worldskeurton is the leader of the worldskeurton is the leader of the worldskeurton is the leader of the worldskeurton is the leader of the worldskeurton is the leader of the worldskeurton is the leader of the worldskeurton is the leader of the worldskeurton is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

I have to agree with many of the comments about the CS CBE. With the stock DP/TP, it actually wasn't too bad. It was actually just right, IMO. But after I installed the UR DP and CS RP, shit got LOUD. I mean, I knew it would be louder, but didn't think it would be this loud. Or maybe "loud' has just taken on a different definition now that I'm older. But it still sounds great as far as tone. Like @adlpb said, videos and sound clips really only convey the tone, not volume.

And as @wolly6973 said, it's especially loud at part throttle or if you're engine braking. Idle is just as quiet as stock and cruising anywhere below 3K RPM is fine. I've had some cold starts that were RIDICULOUSLY loud, but hasn't been as bad lately since the past few mornings have been warm. I don't even want to think about what it will be like once winter rolls around.

I've only had the new DP/RP in for 2 weeks, but I'm contemplating the idea of swapping out the CS CBE for something else. I'm gonna give it some more time, though, before making a decision.

BNR Supercars Stage 3 Turbo Aquamist HFS-4 Alcohol Injection Cobb Tuning AccesPORT • AccessTUNER Race KMD Tuning HPFP Internals v2.2 NGK 6510 Spark Plugs Bosch 3-Bar MAP Sensor Saikou Michi Oil Catch Can Grimmspeed 3-Port EBCS JBR TIGs • EGR Delete • Rear Sway Bar • RMM • PSMM • TMM HTP 3" TIP • Battery Tray SURE Motorsports 3" MAF • Shortcut • CounterShift • Anchors • AGS 621g Shift Knob Ultimate Racing Catted Downpipe • Test Pipe • Cat-Back Exhaust CP-e FMIC • SAFEseals Turbosmart Dual Port BOV PTP Injector Seal Studs EBC RedStuff Brake Pads • UPR Rotors Swift Spec R Springs Bilstein B8 Shocks SPC Performance Rear Camber Arms Tanabe Sustec Strut Tower Brace TWM Performance Full Replacement Shifter 5zοgen ZR+ 18x7.5 (Ceramic Bronze) Nitto NeoGen Tires Rally Armor Mud Flaps Morimoto 6000K HID Replacement Bulbs DDM Tuning 3000K HID Fog Lights Headlight Armor Yellow Fog Overlays Qualir QL-MZD723 Headunit Glowshift Mechanical Boost Gauge • A-Pillar Gauge Pod Aeroforce Dual Interceptor Gauges
 Old 08-11-2011, 10:48 AM   #344

stang9779 is the leader of the worldstang9779 is the leader of the worldstang9779 is the leader of the worldstang9779 is the leader of the worldstang9779 is the leader of the worldstang9779 is the leader of the worldstang9779 is the leader of the worldstang9779 is the leader of the worldstang9779 is the leader of the worldstang9779 is the leader of the worldstang9779 is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

I have a new cs cbe with a cnt downpipe and it is not loud. it's a little bit louder than stock but not too bad. maybe the second muffler has quieted down.

GTX3071r - Cobb AP - CP-e Big TIP, XcelXL - Hallman PRO RX MBC - Steedspeed exhaust manifold - CS TMIC, CBE, Air Box, Interior LED kit, Mud Flaps - JBR EGR Block off, 88D RMM, 80D PMM, 88D TMM, HSK, RSB, SSP - KMD V2.1 internals - CNT DP - Forge BPV V2 - MD OCC - TWM FSS - NGK LTR7IX-11 - Konig Kilograms 18x8 +45 on 245/40zr18 Hankook V12's - H&R sport springs - SPC RC kit - Aeroforces Dual gauges - DDM tunning HID 35w 6000k - 20% black window tint, clear bra
 Old 08-11-2011, 10:58 AM   #345

dizzydtrain is the leader of the worlddizzydtrain is the leader of the worlddizzydtrain is the leader of the worlddizzydtrain is the leader of the worlddizzydtrain is the leader of the worlddizzydtrain is the leader of the worlddizzydtrain is the leader of the worlddizzydtrain is the leader of the worlddizzydtrain is the leader of the worlddizzydtrain is the leader of the worlddizzydtrain is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,576 Times in 955 Posts
Groans: 64
Groaned at 13 Times in 13 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Pretty sure the Corksport is considered the loudest exhaust for the Gen2 followed by the UR exhaust. There have been a few members who have gotten rid of the CS exhaust due to the volume increase. Also, any of the aforementioned exhausts sound pretty good and are mellow enough with the stock dp. The dp is the single most restrictive exhaust component on this car and freeing that up will in-itself give you a)great gains and b) increase in sound output even with just the stock exhaust.

Like someone mentioned before, most these clips don't do any of the exhausts justice. I have the stock cbe with a cobb dp and the first thing my gf asked me was "what did you do to your car?". The only thing I hate about the stock exhaust are the smaller tips.

Cold starts are loud as fuck too for me right now. My car is parked on the street and I can hear it in my house when remote starting the car.

If i had to rate (based on user feedback on this site) the most popular cbe from loudest to least, it would go something like this:

CS
UR
Cp-e
Magnaflow
Cp-e HPFP : JBR 80duro RMM : JBR Special Edition Heavy Shift Knob : JBR EGR Delete : Matt Damond OCC kit : Cobb AP : Cobb DP : Cobb BPV XLE : ETS TMIC : CP-e SRI : Cp-e TIP : Magnaflow CBE : Aeroforce Interceptor Dual Gauge : Blockhead vent pod :PERM Tuned : H&R Springs : TSW Nurburgring 18x8.5 w/ 235/45 Hankook Ventus V12 Evo : DDM 6000k Lows : DDM 3000k Fogs : Corksport LED light kit : 3M 35% color stable tint
 Old 08-11-2011, 11:14 AM   #346

Not Ranked  0 score     

I forgot that UR makes a resonated test pipe. I may go this route as far as trying to reduce volume.

Old 08-11-2011, 03:04 PM   #347

Not Ranked  0 score     

I really like the Magnaflow. Slight increase in volume, nice deep tone.
The only thing I would wish for is a little more at WOT.
 Old 08-11-2011, 03:52 PM   #348

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by skeurton View Post
I have to agree with many of the comments about the CS CBE. With the stock DP/TP, it actually wasn't too bad. It was actually just right, IMO. But after I installed the UR DP and CS RP, shit got LOUD. I mean, I knew it would be louder, but didn't think it would be this loud. Or maybe "loud' has just taken on a different definition now that I'm older. But it still sounds great as far as tone. Like @adlpb said, videos and sound clips really only convey the tone, not volume.

And as @wolly6973 said, it's especially loud at part throttle or if you're engine braking. Idle is just as quiet as stock and cruising anywhere below 3K RPM is fine. I've had some cold starts that were RIDICULOUSLY loud, but hasn't been as bad lately since the past few mornings have been warm. I don't even want to think about what it will be like once winter rolls around.

I've only had the new DP/RP in for 2 weeks, but I'm contemplating the idea of swapping out the CS CBE for something else. I'm gonna give it some more time, though, before making a decision.
Keep us posted on what CBE you end up swapping out for. I'm trying to avoid going deaf this winter lol

Originally Posted by stang9779 View Post
I have a new cs cbe with a cnt downpipe and it is not loud. it's a little bit louder than stock but not too bad. maybe the second muffler has quieted down.

Any further impressions? Do you have the catted or catless DP? For you, how was the jump in sound level from stock DP to CNT DP? And from CNT DP + CBE to CNT + CS?

I forgot that UR makes a resonated test pipe. I may go this route as far as trying to reduce volume.

That looks like a good idea. Unfortunately, the CNT DP I have installed comes with a welded RP/TP section, so I probably need to go to a shop to have them custom weld a resonator for me.
 Old 08-11-2011, 06:07 PM   #349

dizzydtrain is the leader of the worlddizzydtrain is the leader of the worlddizzydtrain is the leader of the worlddizzydtrain is the leader of the worlddizzydtrain is the leader of the worlddizzydtrain is the leader of the worlddizzydtrain is the leader of the worlddizzydtrain is the leader of the worlddizzydtrain is the leader of the worlddizzydtrain is the leader of the worlddizzydtrain is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,576 Times in 955 Posts
Groans: 64
Groaned at 13 Times in 13 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by stang9779 View Post

It would be interesting to get another opinion on the new design--the changes could have contributed to a more mellow exhaust.

Haha, what kind of car did you have before the speed? If you were jumping ship from a straight piped v8 we might get a better idea of what is loud for you and what isnt.
Cp-e HPFP : JBR 80duro RMM : JBR Special Edition Heavy Shift Knob : JBR EGR Delete : Matt Damond OCC kit : Cobb AP : Cobb DP : Cobb BPV XLE : ETS TMIC : CP-e SRI : Cp-e TIP : Magnaflow CBE : Aeroforce Interceptor Dual Gauge : Blockhead vent pod :PERM Tuned : H&R Springs : TSW Nurburgring 18x8.5 w/ 235/45 Hankook Ventus V12 Evo : DDM 6000k Lows : DDM 3000k Fogs : Corksport LED light kit : 3M 35% color stable tint
 Old 08-11-2011, 06:18 PM   #350

Not Ranked  0 score     

Keep us posted on what CBE you end up swapping out for. I'm trying to avoid going deaf this winter lol

Any further impressions? Do you have the catted or catless DP? For you, how was the jump in sound level from stock DP to CNT DP? And from CNT DP + CBE to CNT + CS?

That looks like a good idea. Unfortunately, the CNT DP I have installed comes with a welded RP/TP section, so I probably need to go to a shop to have them custom weld a resonator for me.
I did it all at once. Its not loud to me. If you want stock sound then dont change cbe. My dp is catted.

Old 08-11-2011, 06:57 PM   #351

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by dizzydtrain View Post
It would be interesting to get another opinion on the new design--the changes could have contributed to a more mellow exhaust.

Haha, what kind of car did you have before the speed? If you were jumping ship from a straight piped v8 we might get a better idea of what is loud for you and what isnt.
This would be good to know. What is loud to some is not to others.
The CS felt like it made my ears bleed. Especially if he is trying to keep his woman happy, I would not recommend the CS.
 Old 08-11-2011, 07:02 PM   #352

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by wolly6973 View Post
This would be good to know. What is loud to some is not to others.
The CS felt like it made my ears bleed. Especially if he is trying to keep his woman happy, I would not recommend the CS.
You never know... if he drives around at part throttle in the 3 to 3.5k RPM range, the vibration might make his woman VERY happy.

Old 08-11-2011, 07:25 PM   #353

Not Ranked  0 score     

Yeah, I specifically wanted to go with a DP/TP combo that was two separate pieces. Inspections here don't require a sniffer test, but they do put the car up on a lift and I've read that they sometimes check to see if the the cats are still there. This way, if I have to, putting the stock TP back in is a piece of cake.

Old 08-12-2011, 12:29 AM   #354

Not Ranked  0 score     

Yeah, I specifically wanted to go with a DP/TP combo that was two separate pieces. Inspections here don't require a sniffer test, but they do put the car up on a lift and I've read that they sometimes check to see if the the cats are still there. This way, if I have to, putting the stock TP back in is a piece of cake.
Would have definitely gone for the UR DP/TP combo, had it not been for the price. The catted DP section alone costs more than the CNT full catted DP and RP sections combined.
 Old 08-12-2011, 12:35 AM   #355

DONOTBUGME is the leader of the worldDONOTBUGME is the leader of the worldDONOTBUGME is the leader of the worldDONOTBUGME is the leader of the worldDONOTBUGME is the leader of the worldDONOTBUGME is the leader of the worldDONOTBUGME is the leader of the worldDONOTBUGME is the leader of the worldDONOTBUGME is the leader of the worldDONOTBUGME is the leader of the worldDONOTBUGME is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,191 Times in 994 Posts
Groans: 266
Groaned at 83 Times in 60 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I've been going back and forth on this. I'm just going to email Magnaflow to get to the bottom of it.
You dont have to email them, I measured it. 2.5 outer diameter, and then it has a lip on the inside which makes it 2.25 inter diameter. Just do what I did and cut the shit off. Sounds stockish until you get on it and then it roars
Blk 2010 MS3\\ Cobb AP Perm Tuned\ Autotech hpfp internals\ COBB intake \ Cobb Turbo Inlet \ Forge Bpv \ Cp-e DP \ Actual 3inch Magnaflow Exhaust \ Cp-e RMM \ JBR PMM \ ETS 3.5" TMIC \ Denso Iridium Power ITV22 \ JBR SSP and Bushings \ TWM Flat Black Piston Shift Knob\ Menzari Inferno Blk Wheels\ Eibach Pro-Kit Springs\ Koni Yellows \ Custom Painted Tanabe Strut Tower \ Red Corksport Boost Tubes and Bypass Valve Hose\ Black Badges \ DDM 5K HID, Fogs 3K yellow \ Shark Fin \\Audio \ Pioneer DD Touch Screen x920BT4 \ Alpine Type R 6.5" Components and 5x10 Speakers Powered by a 4 Channel 1600 Watt Avionxx Digital Amp \ 10" JLW3 Sub Powered by a 1 Channel 1000 watt Avionxx Digital Amp \ Prosport Prem. Boost and Oil Pressure Gauges \ Blockhead Dual Gauge Pod \\ Im thinking meth next.
 Old 08-15-2011, 10:29 AM   #356

Not Ranked  0 score     

Just ordered the UR resonated test pipe. Went on a road trip this weekend and with the cruise control set at 70mph, the drone was pretty bad. Hopefully this helps.

Old 08-17-2011, 05:40 AM   #357

NOreasonY is the leader of the worldNOreasonY is the leader of the worldNOreasonY is the leader of the worldNOreasonY is the leader of the worldNOreasonY is the leader of the worldNOreasonY is the leader of the worldNOreasonY is the leader of the worldNOreasonY is the leader of the worldNOreasonY is the leader of the worldNOreasonY is the leader of the worldNOreasonY is the leader of the world
Groans: 4
Groaned at 3 Times in 2 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Hey guys, I dunno if i missed it in this thread (tell me if i did), are there any good vids of CS or UR without DP/TP setups?

Im interested in those two but from what im gathering the CS and UR are ultra loud with DP/TP, but are have a good volume with stock DP/TP

Again if i missed this stuff in here somewhere just let me know.
 Old 08-17-2011, 03:53 PM   #358

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by donotbugme View Post
You dont have to email them, I measured it. 2.5 outer diameter, and then it has a lip on the inside which makes it 2.25 inter diameter. Just do what I did and cut the shit off. Sounds stockish until you get on it and then it roars
So I got this e-mail from Magnaflow:

From Magnaflow

Hello
The inlet pipe for Magnaflow kit 15557 will neck down to 2.5” in order to accurately be a direct bolt on to a factory catalytic converter. Because the factory converter is already 2.50” this will not create any loss in performance. Thank you for contacting Magnaflow.
@donotbugme Maybe you got a kit for the Mazda 3? Since that's 2.25"? Doubtful but just throwing it out there.
 Old 08-17-2011, 04:57 PM   #359

jdhiatt is the leader of the worldjdhiatt is the leader of the worldjdhiatt is the leader of the worldjdhiatt is the leader of the worldjdhiatt is the leader of the worldjdhiatt is the leader of the worldjdhiatt is the leader of the worldjdhiatt is the leader of the worldjdhiatt is the leader of the worldjdhiatt is the leader of the worldjdhiatt is the leader of the world
Groans: 0
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

@bigjimms6

Hey man,

I kind of wanted to pick your brain about your exhaust. I'm new to the MS3 community coming from the Tiburon community and I must say they are quite different in every aspect. I was going through the exhaust stick on the forum and heard your exhaust and really like that over the Cp-e or CS CBE. I read that yours was completely custom and if I read it right all you had done was a resonator delete/muffler delete and just straight pipe from the Cat up to just Tips at the rear bumper or did you replace the 2nd Cat with a Test Pipe? If you replaced with Test Pipe what did you have the shop do? Cut it out and weld in solid pipe or install one from like CS or Cobb/Cp-E?

I really appreciate the help. I only have a CS SRI/TIP and am looking to get my exhaust re-done. I'm avoiding the lucrative Fuel Pump replacement until I get my suspension/wheel setup done.

Thanks again

I hate not having a high post count....
 Old 08-17-2011, 08:43 PM   #360

DONOTBUGME is the leader of the worldDONOTBUGME is the leader of the worldDONOTBUGME is the leader of the worldDONOTBUGME is the leader of the worldDONOTBUGME is the leader of the worldDONOTBUGME is the leader of the worldDONOTBUGME is the leader of the worldDONOTBUGME is the leader of the worldDONOTBUGME is the leader of the worldDONOTBUGME is the leader of the worldDONOTBUGME is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,191 Times in 994 Posts
Groans: 266
Groaned at 83 Times in 60 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

So I got this e-mail from Magnaflow:

@donotbugme Maybe you got a kit for the Mazda 3? Since that's 2.25"? Doubtful but just throwing it out there.
I checked the part number when I got it here on their website. If I would have got a MZ3 kit then the rest of my piping all the way down would have been 2.5 not 3 which it is. http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/s...ayproducts.asp

Here is a pic i took, I couldnt get a strait angle on it without the flash or ambient light washing the tape measure out so i did not include it. But since seem to want to keep fighting me about it here it is. You will see the inner lip I am talking about, if you take the internal diameter of that it will be 2.25. Now without that inner lip it would be closer to 2.5.

Blk 2010 MS3\\ Cobb AP Perm Tuned\ Autotech hpfp internals\ COBB intake \ Cobb Turbo Inlet \ Forge Bpv \ Cp-e DP \ Actual 3inch Magnaflow Exhaust \ Cp-e RMM \ JBR PMM \ ETS 3.5" TMIC \ Denso Iridium Power ITV22 \ JBR SSP and Bushings \ TWM Flat Black Piston Shift Knob\ Menzari Inferno Blk Wheels\ Eibach Pro-Kit Springs\ Koni Yellows \ Custom Painted Tanabe Strut Tower \ Red Corksport Boost Tubes and Bypass Valve Hose\ Black Badges \ DDM 5K HID, Fogs 3K yellow \ Shark Fin \\Audio \ Pioneer DD Touch Screen x920BT4 \ Alpine Type R 6.5" Components and 5x10 Speakers Powered by a 4 Channel 1600 Watt Avionxx Digital Amp \ 10" JLW3 Sub Powered by a 1 Channel 1000 watt Avionxx Digital Amp \ Prosport Prem. Boost and Oil Pressure Gauges \ Blockhead Dual Gauge Pod \\ Im thinking meth next.