register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
Mazdaspeed Forums Knowledge Base
>
Mazdaspeed Forums Knowledge Base (Gen1 - Gen 2)
> MSF KB - Mazdaspeed 3/6 - Engine, Transmission & Driveline

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 03-03-2012, 10:15 PM   #1

UnknownSuperhero is the leader of the worldUnknownSuperhero is the leader of the worldUnknownSuperhero is the leader of the worldUnknownSuperhero is the leader of the worldUnknownSuperhero is the leader of the worldUnknownSuperhero is the leader of the worldUnknownSuperhero is the leader of the worldUnknownSuperhero is the leader of the worldUnknownSuperhero is the leader of the worldUnknownSuperhero is the leader of the worldUnknownSuperhero is the leader of the world
Thanked 5,181 Times in 1,272 Posts
Groans: 26
Groaned at 24 Times in 19 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default Oil is covered, NOW what is the best oil filter?

Mods, please move to the appropriate forum if necessary. And not sure what is up with the thread title, it was a long day.

Ok, you may have seen it before elsewhere, but probably not for our specific application and with current filter technology, so here is some good information for ya.

At NATOR today I started talking about oil filters, their construction, and some pros and cons of the different brands (In high school I was using Fram, because I was cheap After an oil change I took off the filter, and the thing rattled like a Maraca, and wasn't even filtering. To find out why I took it apart, which led to cracking damn near every filter I could get my hands on). One thing led to another and I busted out the grinder to show and tell to live it all over again.

I just happened to have several oil filters to compare, and below are the results.

I dissected a STP, Purolator PureONE (Thanks @TRSpeed ), OEM Mazda, OEM honda Motorcycle and NAPA Silver. Check out the findings.

First the STP (AKA AC Delco,) made by Champion Labs.
I would not recommend this filter. It uses Nitrile rubber (which is more likely to break down when exposed to high heat, turbo applications anyone?) for its combination Bypass Valve and Anti-Drainback Valve. Also the leaf spring keeping the Paper Media filter in place was very weak. The fins were spaced apart in some locations and compressed in others. Also the fiber board on both ends was easily pried off. Looks like poor quality control.

Next is the Purolator PureONE.
This is a better filter. It uses a denser Synthetic filter media that used crimped metal to hold it together, which was removed by flicking with my finger, and has a Silicon Anti-Drainback valve (holds up better) and a spring loaded Bypass valve located in the base of the filter. One difference treated rubber gasket, which is supposed to seal better and is supposed to be easier to install, but come on, how hard is it to install a filter. It still uses a leaf spring, which I just do not like. The can was coated in a slip resistant cover, but it was a much thinner wall, my grinder went though it like butter.

Next was OEM Mazda. (Made by Tennex when built in USA, Toyo Roko if made in Japan.)
This filter was near identical to the Purolator filter. Only difference is the Anti-Drainback valve, was a internal spring and a ball type valve, and non treated gasket. Uses a Rubber bypass valve, and is the same for all 3's NA 2.0 etc. Still used stiff leaf spring. (This filter did work, there was sparkly crap in the fins.)

Next was an OEM Honda Motorcycle Filter. (Don't mind the box)
I just wanted to show a different type of construction. Notice the 4 pronged leaf spring attached to the Anti-Drainback Valve. Also the fiber caps on the filter media. The gasket is cool though.

Finally the Napa Silver. (Gold is similar but if I am not mistaken has Silicone instead of Rubber bypass gasket) Made by Dana/Wix.
Notice the strong coil spring instead of the leafs. The Anti-Drainback valve is located on the top of the filter. All around in my opinion the best filter.

Some food for thought, The K&N is the same as the Mobil 1 but is usually a couple bucks cheaper. You are paying for a nut, fun fact, made by Champion Labs (same as STP but better quality). It still has a leaf spring and a rubber drainback valve. The bypass valve is in the same location as the Napa.

Do your car a favor and stay away from Fram, or anything made by Honeywell (MotorMaster, Pennzoil, Quaker State) That filter is just Chaos, and that is what started this interest in filters.

As far as what filter is good for us? I say Napa Gold hands down, just a great filter. It is reasonably priced and goes on sale very couple months (about $5 a piece). I would not use the Silver, or Pro Select in our application due to the Rubber Valve, as well as Gold having a superior center tube and more filter media. Plus the Pro Select is pretty expensive.

If Napa is not available in your area you could possibly go with the following. (Not tested personally yet, so no promises)
Baldwin, Ryco, Wix, Penske, CarQuest, and Castrol. Although their base lines are rubber not Silicon, easy way to find out, look at the bottom, if the Bypas Valve (the part that is inside the filter visible through the holes) is Orange (or any other color) it is Silicon, black = Rubber. ( I plan on ripping apart a CarQuest next time I go to Walmart, since that is where we usually get out oil anyway, would be nice to save a trip and a couple $$)

For all you Amsoil lovers, they recommend WIX filters as well.

Hope you found this useful, it was fun making sparks. @Hamilton69

More notes on post #13, #14, and #23.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to UnknownSuperhero For This Useful Post:
ChaunceyM (11-18-2013), dvswimer (01-02-2018), jbrowntown (12-30-2016), meicalnissyen (01-24-2015), Weazsel (11-25-2012)
 Old 03-03-2012, 10:44 PM   #2

TRSpeed is the leader of the worldTRSpeed is the leader of the worldTRSpeed is the leader of the worldTRSpeed is the leader of the worldTRSpeed is the leader of the worldTRSpeed is the leader of the worldTRSpeed is the leader of the worldTRSpeed is the leader of the worldTRSpeed is the leader of the worldTRSpeed is the leader of the worldTRSpeed is the leader of the world
Groans: 4
Groaned at 18 Times in 17 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

This was hella fun! thanks greg

@Daddy Chinkus @Raider
Cobb AP E85 30% |CPE Big MAF | CPE Big TIP | CPE FMIC | SS Ex Mani | CPE Catted DP | CNT CBE | CPE Triple Gauge Pod |
Autotech HPFP Internals | Denso ITV22 | TS BPV | TWM ShortShifter | JBR Shifter Bushings | JBR 88 RMM |
Razo Heavy Shift Knob | 20% Tint | DDM 55W HID | Hankook Ventus V12 | H&R Springs
 Old 03-03-2012, 11:09 PM   #3

tastysi2004 is the leader of the worldtastysi2004 is the leader of the worldtastysi2004 is the leader of the worldtastysi2004 is the leader of the worldtastysi2004 is the leader of the worldtastysi2004 is the leader of the worldtastysi2004 is the leader of the worldtastysi2004 is the leader of the worldtastysi2004 is the leader of the worldtastysi2004 is the leader of the worldtastysi2004 is the leader of the world
Groans: 0
Groaned at 22 Times in 14 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

very useful information. thank you
Purple drank in my tank.
build block, pnp everything, tr825 core, meth and lots of it.
554whp/546wtq @ 30psi.
another build? maybe soon..
b/c race cars need more attention than women.

adlpb: ~Fast cars are for straight lines. Corners are for fast drivers.~

#CATBACKEXHAUST
 Old 03-03-2012, 11:33 PM   #4

Mizzle is the leader of the worldMizzle is the leader of the worldMizzle is the leader of the worldMizzle is the leader of the worldMizzle is the leader of the worldMizzle is the leader of the worldMizzle is the leader of the worldMizzle is the leader of the worldMizzle is the leader of the worldMizzle is the leader of the worldMizzle is the leader of the world
Thanked 4,196 Times in 1,404 Posts
Groans: 324
Groaned at 188 Times in 104 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Just my .02 - The construction isn't the only factor in choosing a filter, but also how well it filters. I have excellent results on oil tests using a Purolator PureOne and the media filters really tiny shit.
 Old 03-04-2012, 04:51 AM   #5

atvfreek is the leader of the worldatvfreek is the leader of the worldatvfreek is the leader of the worldatvfreek is the leader of the worldatvfreek is the leader of the worldatvfreek is the leader of the worldatvfreek is the leader of the worldatvfreek is the leader of the worldatvfreek is the leader of the worldatvfreek is the leader of the worldatvfreek is the leader of the world
Thanked 23,000 Times in 6,143 Posts
Groans: 37
Groaned at 20 Times in 17 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Cool write up. I always use motorcraft filters on my car. But I work for Ford and have easy access to them. I would assume the motorcraft filter would be similar to the oem Mazda filter. But who knows.

Tappin
11.321@129.93
 Old 03-04-2012, 04:59 AM   #6

USAFdude02 has a reputation beyond reputeUSAFdude02 has a reputation beyond reputeUSAFdude02 has a reputation beyond reputeUSAFdude02 has a reputation beyond reputeUSAFdude02 has a reputation beyond reputeUSAFdude02 has a reputation beyond reputeUSAFdude02 has a reputation beyond reputeUSAFdude02 has a reputation beyond reputeUSAFdude02 has a reputation beyond reputeUSAFdude02 has a reputation beyond reputeUSAFdude02 has a reputation beyond repute
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Nice.good to know. I would second getting the oil tested after running through the filters...to see how good they actually filter.

But great write up...and I bet is was fun grinding them all open
 Old 03-04-2012, 05:23 AM   #7

pebenito is the leader of the worldpebenito is the leader of the worldpebenito is the leader of the worldpebenito is the leader of the worldpebenito is the leader of the worldpebenito is the leader of the worldpebenito is the leader of the worldpebenito is the leader of the worldpebenito is the leader of the worldpebenito is the leader of the worldpebenito is the leader of the world
Groans: 12
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

IIRC I saw orange through the holes on top of my WIX filters.
 Old 03-04-2012, 07:10 AM   #8
6 mods and some Kool-Aid

Raider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the world
Thanked 57,010 Times in 14,590 Posts
Groans: 856
Groaned at 183 Times in 156 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Thanks, I'll throw msf bucks your way in a bit. I thought I was being called to an epic fail thread.
 Old 03-04-2012, 07:27 AM   #9

dan7225 is the leader of the worlddan7225 is the leader of the worlddan7225 is the leader of the worlddan7225 is the leader of the worlddan7225 is the leader of the worlddan7225 is the leader of the worlddan7225 is the leader of the worlddan7225 is the leader of the worlddan7225 is the leader of the worlddan7225 is the leader of the worlddan7225 is the leader of the world
Groaned at 20 Times in 11 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

WIX has been a really good filter for me the past 5 years.

You can also get a box of 12 from Amazon for less than $50!!!

It's the cheapest I've found anywhere.
 Old 03-04-2012, 07:32 AM   #10

rfinkle2 is the leader of the worldrfinkle2 is the leader of the worldrfinkle2 is the leader of the worldrfinkle2 is the leader of the worldrfinkle2 is the leader of the worldrfinkle2 is the leader of the worldrfinkle2 is the leader of the worldrfinkle2 is the leader of the worldrfinkle2 is the leader of the worldrfinkle2 is the leader of the worldrfinkle2 is the leader of the world
Thanked 33,220 Times in 10,051 Posts
Groans: 298
Groaned at 292 Times in 196 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

OP, the guys over @ Bob is the oil guy would love to see your post.

Those guys dislike Fram as well, give high marks for the Napa Gold (rebranded wix), and actually like the filtering capability of the Purulator Pure one from their testing (much like Mizzle's UOA confirms).

In any case, Fram sucks and thanks for taking the time to write this up / hack up some filters. Very cool.

@Tokay444 and @Lex are always into oil / oil filter discussions and would probably like to see this thread.
 Old 03-04-2012, 07:52 AM   #11
jbr makes fall-a-parts.

Tokay444 is the leader of the worldTokay444 is the leader of the worldTokay444 is the leader of the worldTokay444 is the leader of the worldTokay444 is the leader of the worldTokay444 is the leader of the worldTokay444 is the leader of the worldTokay444 is the leader of the worldTokay444 is the leader of the worldTokay444 is the leader of the worldTokay444 is the leader of the world
Thanked 26,388 Times in 7,871 Posts
Groans: 793
Groaned at 496 Times in 321 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I'm a big non supporter of fram.
Unfortunately, it's them or oem for me. I don't have a problem spending the 13 bucks on the oem filter over the $7 fram though.
I cut all my used filter, not necissarlily to inspect the filter myself, but to see if there's anything glaringly wrong going on with my motor.

Inb4 85% silicone core. It's better than aluminum.
What's you buddy's ex wife trap?
I <3 SP63, but that port job though... "The coolant must be evaporating." Bye Felicia
"Exclusivity" - CP-enis
Demodded.
The Seals
 Old 03-04-2012, 08:02 AM   #12
jbr makes fall-a-parts.

Tokay444 is the leader of the worldTokay444 is the leader of the worldTokay444 is the leader of the worldTokay444 is the leader of the worldTokay444 is the leader of the worldTokay444 is the leader of the worldTokay444 is the leader of the worldTokay444 is the leader of the worldTokay444 is the leader of the worldTokay444 is the leader of the worldTokay444 is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

I should mention that I'm using a cartridge element.
Not a spin on.
Gonna see what napa has to offer up here.
The oem cartridge comes with both rubber seals and a new crush washer for the drain plug.

I <3 SP63, but that port job though... "The coolant must be evaporating." Bye Felicia
"Exclusivity" - CP-enis
Demodded.
The Seals
 Old 03-04-2012, 09:06 AM   #13

UnknownSuperhero is the leader of the worldUnknownSuperhero is the leader of the worldUnknownSuperhero is the leader of the worldUnknownSuperhero is the leader of the worldUnknownSuperhero is the leader of the worldUnknownSuperhero is the leader of the worldUnknownSuperhero is the leader of the worldUnknownSuperhero is the leader of the worldUnknownSuperhero is the leader of the worldUnknownSuperhero is the leader of the worldUnknownSuperhero is the leader of the world
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

After doing a bit more research.

The PureONE's synthetic media does filter smaller particles than the NAPA Gold due to being denser. Denser media will restrict flow but they added more media to offset this issue. From what I have read, the Gold does flow with less restriction.

I don't have the ability to test them on anything other than construction. Although due to them being mounted upside down instead of sideways, we don't really have to worry about the bypass valve location, oil is not going to drain out of the filter. One concern about the PureONE is the stiffness of the spring, it was very rigid, they may as well have put washers in there. Also if you ever have to last resort (screwdriver through the can) on a PureONE, I am pretty sure your couch is fucked with the soft thin metal.

There is a Napa Platinum filter that has a wire-backed synthetic media that would be comparable to the PureONE, but at a cost, those Platinum filters are in the K&N price range. (They also made the can stronger for some reason)

Fun fact about K&N filters, even in their oil filters the media is dyed red.

Its funny how even Fram says they have 20% more filtering capability than OEM.

Originally Posted by Tokay444 View Post
Not a spin on.
The oem cartridge comes with both rubber seals and a new crush washer for the drain plug.
As far as cartridge filters, my Ion Redline used those. I looked at the construction of several different kinds, and they were not much different. I would look for something with a synthetic filter media, not sure if that is even available. Almost every one I looked at used Paper, and were similarly constructed.

I guess it all boils down to convenience and cost. If you are close to a Napa or drive by one every once in a while, keep an eye out for their 40% off sales, then stock up. Silver, for Dino Oil applications, Gold for Synthetic, Platinum if your rich and want synthetic filtering media.

If you are close to a Pep Boys the PureONE is still a good filter, and (from what I have heard) one of the best for filtering particles, (Claimed 99.9% of >20 microns but doesnt go into more detail). The Napa Platinum captures 99% >10 microns, 98% > 8 microns, and 95% > 5 microns. (This information available through their sites if you dig.)

I just really like Napa's Construction. I pity the foo that spends the $$ for PP or T6 and uses a shit filter.
 Old 03-04-2012, 09:40 AM   #14

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by atvfreek View Post
Cool write up. I always use motorcraft filters on my car. But I work for Ford and have easy access to them. I would assume the motorcraft filter would be similar to the oem Mazda filter. But who knows.

Tappin
If I am not mistaken the Motorcraft filters are made by Purolator, so you have a good filter there and if you can get it for the cheap more power to ya! If you want to have some fun, cut the can off. If there is a string wrapped around the filter media, then it is paper and comparable to a Premium Plus, without it (and a little purple dye on the end caps) it is the same as a PureONE with the synthetic media.
 Old 03-04-2012, 10:03 AM   #15

Stingray69 is the leader of the worldStingray69 is the leader of the worldStingray69 is the leader of the worldStingray69 is the leader of the worldStingray69 is the leader of the worldStingray69 is the leader of the worldStingray69 is the leader of the worldStingray69 is the leader of the worldStingray69 is the leader of the worldStingray69 is the leader of the worldStingray69 is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,499 Times in 944 Posts
Groans: 48
Groaned at 49 Times in 30 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Thanks for the info. I have been running an OEM but pass a NAPA every work day, time to switch to gold or platinum. Lol at tools of the trade in first pic, grinder safety glasses and beer.
 Old 03-04-2012, 11:37 AM   #16
jbr makes fall-a-parts.

Not Ranked  0 score     

I work beside a Mazda dealer and live close to a NAPA. No pep boys in Canada.

"Exclusivity" - CP-enis
Demodded.
The Seals
 Old 03-04-2012, 12:09 PM   #17

helmetface is the leader of the worldhelmetface is the leader of the worldhelmetface is the leader of the worldhelmetface is the leader of the worldhelmetface is the leader of the worldhelmetface is the leader of the worldhelmetface is the leader of the worldhelmetface is the leader of the worldhelmetface is the leader of the worldhelmetface is the leader of the worldhelmetface is the leader of the world
Thanked 8,527 Times in 3,188 Posts
Groans: 219
Groaned at 70 Times in 52 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Tokay444 View Post
Not a spin on.
I too still use the cartridges..I really don't mind doing so..the spin-on kits never appealed to me after I had started working on my Mazda.

With that said, I've used STP strictly..not to say they are much better than FRAM..if at all.

But I'll look into NAPA and see what they have to offer us, non-spin'on'ers
 Old 03-04-2012, 12:11 PM   #18
I <3 your mom

Dash08 is the leader of the worldDash08 is the leader of the worldDash08 is the leader of the worldDash08 is the leader of the worldDash08 is the leader of the worldDash08 is the leader of the worldDash08 is the leader of the worldDash08 is the leader of the worldDash08 is the leader of the worldDash08 is the leader of the worldDash08 is the leader of the world
Thanked 28,304 Times in 4,352 Posts
Groans: 293
Groaned at 132 Times in 91 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Been running Mazda filters since I did my spin on conversion 3 years ago.

They work great and they're short enough to clear the engine tray if you're running a sandwich plate for gauges.

I'll have to try NAPA. They're a lot closer than the dealer and probably a lot cheaper.

a) to provide really good technical information
b) to provide amusement at the expense of others
 Old 03-04-2012, 01:45 PM   #19

rfinkle2 is the leader of the worldrfinkle2 is the leader of the worldrfinkle2 is the leader of the worldrfinkle2 is the leader of the worldrfinkle2 is the leader of the worldrfinkle2 is the leader of the worldrfinkle2 is the leader of the worldrfinkle2 is the leader of the worldrfinkle2 is the leader of the worldrfinkle2 is the leader of the worldrfinkle2 is the leader of the world
Thanked 33,220 Times in 10,051 Posts
Groans: 298
Groaned at 292 Times in 196 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

If you guys want to try the Napa Gold filters, they are re-branded Wix. Wix sells to a lot of local independents and you can search by your zip code here:

They have Canadian distributors as well.
WIX filters, WIX oil filters, WIX air filters, WIX fuel filters, WIX Heavy Duty Oil Filters : Where to Buy
 Old 03-04-2012, 04:32 PM   #20

Mizzle is the leader of the worldMizzle is the leader of the worldMizzle is the leader of the worldMizzle is the leader of the worldMizzle is the leader of the worldMizzle is the leader of the worldMizzle is the leader of the worldMizzle is the leader of the worldMizzle is the leader of the worldMizzle is the leader of the worldMizzle is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

I'm still waiting for someone to do a spin-on conversion with a remote-location filter... and then a filter the size of my thigh lol.
 Old 03-04-2012, 05:15 PM   #21

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Mizzle
I'm still waiting for someone to do a spin-on conversion with a remote-location filter... and then a filter the size of my thigh lol.
Diesel filters ftw.
 Old 03-04-2012, 06:18 PM   #22

Breeze10 has a reputation beyond reputeBreeze10 has a reputation beyond reputeBreeze10 has a reputation beyond reputeBreeze10 has a reputation beyond reputeBreeze10 has a reputation beyond reputeBreeze10 has a reputation beyond reputeBreeze10 has a reputation beyond reputeBreeze10 has a reputation beyond reputeBreeze10 has a reputation beyond reputeBreeze10 has a reputation beyond reputeBreeze10 has a reputation beyond repute
Not Ranked  0 score     

I've been using the motorcraft filters since I've had the car, can't beat the price either at wallyworld. I have some used ones in the garage I'll cut open when I get a chance.
 Old 03-04-2012, 06:43 PM   #23

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by helmetfail View Post
I too still use the cartridges..I really don't mind doing so..the spin-on kits never appealed to me after I had started working on my Mazda.

With that said, I've used STP strictly..not to say they are much better than FRAM..if at all.

But I'll look into NAPA and see what they have to offer us, non-spin'on'ers
The cartridges are basically just the guts of a can without all the supporting stuff, which is where the separation from crap to quality comes from in my eyes. From one manufacturer to another there is not a huge difference. From what I have personally seen all use paper filter media, all use rubber gaskets, and have about the same amount of filter mass. I will keep looking for a superior one, but until then from one brand to another I don't think you could really go wrong.
 Old 03-05-2012, 01:46 AM   #24

YABBAMZR is the leader of the worldYABBAMZR is the leader of the worldYABBAMZR is the leader of the worldYABBAMZR is the leader of the worldYABBAMZR is the leader of the worldYABBAMZR is the leader of the worldYABBAMZR is the leader of the worldYABBAMZR is the leader of the worldYABBAMZR is the leader of the worldYABBAMZR is the leader of the worldYABBAMZR is the leader of the world
Groans: 1
Not Ranked  0 score     

Awesome thread props on the info.
I personally use Wix.
--Stratified extended shifter--

Freektuned

333hp/354tq @ gsd (without meth)
 Old 03-05-2012, 01:40 PM   #25

Standsideways is the leader of the worldStandsideways is the leader of the worldStandsideways is the leader of the worldStandsideways is the leader of the worldStandsideways is the leader of the worldStandsideways is the leader of the worldStandsideways is the leader of the worldStandsideways is the leader of the worldStandsideways is the leader of the worldStandsideways is the leader of the worldStandsideways is the leader of the world
Groans: 13
Groaned at 4 Times in 3 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

i used k&n on my 2.3T sedan.

will likely use the OE on the speed3 for now.

MODS:the thread title has a typo LOL "how what is the best oil filter"
 Old 03-05-2012, 02:17 PM   #26

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Haha yeah it does, no idea what the hell I was trying, maybe so what is the best . . . . I saw that after and tried to change it.

Somthing like

Oil Filters? Class is in session.
 Old 03-05-2012, 02:36 PM   #27

YokiMazoku is the leader of the worldYokiMazoku is the leader of the worldYokiMazoku is the leader of the worldYokiMazoku is the leader of the worldYokiMazoku is the leader of the worldYokiMazoku is the leader of the worldYokiMazoku is the leader of the worldYokiMazoku is the leader of the worldYokiMazoku is the leader of the worldYokiMazoku is the leader of the worldYokiMazoku is the leader of the world
Groaned at 17 Times in 14 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Good read thanks! My only problem with the Purolator PureOne is ive read on other forums about ppl complaining how it restricts the flow and isnt ideal for high boost cars as if can increase oil pressure. Most of us are already running thicker oil and adding a restrictive filter may not be ideal.
 Old 03-05-2012, 02:47 PM   #28
patrick failman

karl-hungus is the leader of the worldkarl-hungus is the leader of the worldkarl-hungus is the leader of the worldkarl-hungus is the leader of the worldkarl-hungus is the leader of the worldkarl-hungus is the leader of the worldkarl-hungus is the leader of the worldkarl-hungus is the leader of the worldkarl-hungus is the leader of the worldkarl-hungus is the leader of the worldkarl-hungus is the leader of the world
Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,185 Posts
Groans: 74
Groaned at 55 Times in 47 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

^^^ i had heard that too, but ended up switching from the mobil 1 to pureone big spin on. they rub on the undertray. couldn't imagine a k&n with that nut.
2012 ingot silver mustang gt w/ 6 speed, 3.73 rear end, bama 93 tune, cat deletes, boss 302 oil cooler, roush cai, dynotech aluminum driveshaft, ford racing strut tower brace, dampers & springs, boss 302 sway bars, gt500 strut mounts, lower control arms & axle backs, j&m adjustable panhard bar, steeda upper control arm & 3 point braces, jlt catch can, barton short shifter & shift bracket
 Old 03-15-2012, 06:48 AM   #29

jscape83 is a jewel in the roughjscape83 is a jewel in the roughjscape83 is a jewel in the rough
Not Ranked  0 score     

K&N fits fine on GenPu, might try out the Wix though. A little cheaper I would imagine.
 Old 03-28-2012, 03:50 PM   #30

Liquid3Speed has a brilliant futureLiquid3Speed has a brilliant futureLiquid3Speed has a brilliant futureLiquid3Speed has a brilliant futureLiquid3Speed has a brilliant futureLiquid3Speed has a brilliant futureLiquid3Speed has a brilliant futureLiquid3Speed has a brilliant futureLiquid3Speed has a brilliant futureLiquid3Speed has a brilliant futureLiquid3Speed has a brilliant future
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

I would stay away from Baldwin filters also, they built a filter for the Detroit Diesel DD15 engine and the glue was coming off of the filter and plugging up the piston cooling nozzles(oil squirters) causing cylinder meltdowns. I had to do a warranty engine overhaul because of this, thanks for the great R&D Baldwin.
 Old 04-03-2012, 10:55 AM   #31

gearhead750 is the leader of the worldgearhead750 is the leader of the worldgearhead750 is the leader of the worldgearhead750 is the leader of the worldgearhead750 is the leader of the worldgearhead750 is the leader of the worldgearhead750 is the leader of the worldgearhead750 is the leader of the worldgearhead750 is the leader of the worldgearhead750 is the leader of the worldgearhead750 is the leader of the world
Groans: 30
Groaned at 5 Times in 5 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Anyone have any info on Bosch filters?

Originally Posted by DarkHeartMS6 View Post
I didnt think there was a person on this planet as stupid as you... Congratulations, you proved me wrong. WTF is a Mazda RX-7 if not one of the best "tuner" cars as you put it.. out there. Jump off the honda dick, pull the Golf R cock out of your mouth... replace it with a gun and end this world of your stupidity! Please, before you cause a retard apocolyptic end to our world

Old 04-03-2012, 11:05 AM   #32

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by gearhead750 View Post
Anyone have any info on Bosch filters?
From what I have read, somewhere around the turn of the century Bosh split ways with champion labs (range from shit to ok) and joined up with Purolator (so far decent). So the bosh platinum will be similar to the Purolator PureOne but without the Silicone anti drainback valve and the filtering media is a blend instead of synthetic. I put it between the Purolator Premium plus and the PureOne.
 Old 04-06-2012, 08:29 AM   #33

Not Ranked  0 score     

Wix, Purolator Premium Plus or PureOne.

End of thread.
 Old 04-06-2012, 12:32 PM   #34

TRSpeed is the leader of the worldTRSpeed is the leader of the worldTRSpeed is the leader of the worldTRSpeed is the leader of the worldTRSpeed is the leader of the worldTRSpeed is the leader of the worldTRSpeed is the leader of the worldTRSpeed is the leader of the worldTRSpeed is the leader of the worldTRSpeed is the leader of the worldTRSpeed is the leader of the world
Groaned at 18 Times in 17 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Mizzle View Post
Wix, Purolator Premium Plus or PureOne.

End of thread.
Win is aka Napa and was already proved to be one of the best if not that best. And Pureone is OK.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk
Cobb AP E85 30% |CPE Big MAF | CPE Big TIP | CPE FMIC | SS Ex Mani | CPE Catted DP | CNT CBE | CPE Triple Gauge Pod |
Autotech HPFP Internals | Denso ITV22 | TS BPV | TWM ShortShifter | JBR Shifter Bushings | JBR 88 RMM |
Razo Heavy Shift Knob | 20% Tint | DDM 55W HID | Hankook Ventus V12 | H&R Springs
 Old 04-06-2012, 12:39 PM   #35
G26

G26 is the leader of the worldG26 is the leader of the worldG26 is the leader of the worldG26 is the leader of the worldG26 is the leader of the worldG26 is the leader of the worldG26 is the leader of the worldG26 is the leader of the worldG26 is the leader of the worldG26 is the leader of the worldG26 is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,325 Times in 1,285 Posts
Groans: 39
Groaned at 152 Times in 52 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I was using a mobil 1, bosch but fuck paying $13 for a filter. Purolator pure one for me $6 at the local pepboys.

2010 Accord Coupe EX-L V6 ~ Current ~ K&N SRI / 4300k HIDs
 Old 04-06-2012, 08:09 PM   #36

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by TRSpeed View Post
Win is aka Napa and was already proved to be one of the best if not that best. And Pureone is OK.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk
My point being this thread has reached it's conclusion.
 Old 04-06-2012, 09:08 PM   #37

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

In b4 unicorn oil filter
 Old 05-01-2012, 10:21 PM   #38

VertigoM is a glorious beacon of lightVertigoM is a glorious beacon of lightVertigoM is a glorious beacon of lightVertigoM is a glorious beacon of lightVertigoM is a glorious beacon of lightVertigoM is a glorious beacon of light
Not Ranked  0 score     

Mobil1 filter.... Good or bad?
 Old 05-16-2012, 04:35 PM   #39

tbcota25 is the leader of the worldtbcota25 is the leader of the worldtbcota25 is the leader of the worldtbcota25 is the leader of the worldtbcota25 is the leader of the worldtbcota25 is the leader of the worldtbcota25 is the leader of the worldtbcota25 is the leader of the worldtbcota25 is the leader of the worldtbcota25 is the leader of the worldtbcota25 is the leader of the world
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Anyone have any luck with the royal purple filter???

Mods

CS catless DP, CS RP
Magnaflow CBE
Autotech HPFP
NGK Plugs
CS RMM
JBR PMM
CS Short Shit Kit and Shifter Bushings
Cobb SRI and TIP
CS TMIC
SU Boost Tubes
JBR Reticulation Tube
Cobb AP v2
H&R springs
JBR Rear Sway Bar
Self Built 3 Port EBCS
maisonvi Shift Knob
Tuned on 93 and corn

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
 Old 05-16-2012, 04:38 PM   #40

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

It's made by champion labs. See Mobil 1 and K&N.
The Following User Says Thank You to UnknownSuperhero For This Useful Post:
genpu007 (02-01-2015)

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/forum/f629/oil-covered-now-what-best-oil-filter-125119/
Posted By For Type Date
Comprehensive Oil Filter Dissection Thread - RX7Club.com This thread Refback 09-07-2013 03:55 PM
Comprehensive Oil Filter Dissection Thread - RX7Club.com This thread Refback 08-31-2013 11:07 PM