register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
Mazdaspeed Forums Knowledge Base
>
Mazdaspeed Forums Knowledge Base (Gen1 - Gen 2)
> MSF KB - Mazdaspeed 3/6 - Engine, Transmission & Driveline

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!
Like Tree2Likes

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 03-11-2010, 02:56 PM   #41

hnda etr is the leader of the worldhnda etr is the leader of the worldhnda etr is the leader of the worldhnda etr is the leader of the worldhnda etr is the leader of the worldhnda etr is the leader of the worldhnda etr is the leader of the worldhnda etr is the leader of the worldhnda etr is the leader of the worldhnda etr is the leader of the worldhnda etr is the leader of the world
Thanked 11,129 Times in 1,333 Posts
Groans: 90
Groaned at 279 Times in 248 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/foru...ge-1-2-a-5692/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
 Old 03-11-2010, 03:19 PM   #42

shpankey is the leader of the worldshpankey is the leader of the worldshpankey is the leader of the worldshpankey is the leader of the worldshpankey is the leader of the worldshpankey is the leader of the worldshpankey is the leader of the worldshpankey is the leader of the worldshpankey is the leader of the worldshpankey is the leader of the worldshpankey is the leader of the world
Groans: 7
Groaned at 5 Times in 5 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Thanks!

Originally Posted by phillyb View Post
did you read anything in the first post?
I know this was to him. But I'm kind of lost on this whole issue.

I checked my stockers (FoMoCo) and they were dead on at .028 gap from the factory. So I'm guessing I am in one measurement and others are using the other?
 Old 03-11-2010, 03:31 PM   #43
Banned

phillyb is the leader of the worldphillyb is the leader of the worldphillyb is the leader of the worldphillyb is the leader of the worldphillyb is the leader of the worldphillyb is the leader of the worldphillyb is the leader of the worldphillyb is the leader of the worldphillyb is the leader of the worldphillyb is the leader of the worldphillyb is the leader of the world
Thanked 18,751 Times in 5,169 Posts
Groans: 1,940
Groaned at 886 Times in 632 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

nah, you're fine.
stock gap is recommended to be within .028-.032
ngk 6510's come pregapped at like .042 or some shit like that so they need to be regapped to be in spec.
i think that guy was also confused about his stock plugs.
 Old 03-11-2010, 03:51 PM   #44

shpankey is the leader of the worldshpankey is the leader of the worldshpankey is the leader of the worldshpankey is the leader of the worldshpankey is the leader of the worldshpankey is the leader of the worldshpankey is the leader of the worldshpankey is the leader of the worldshpankey is the leader of the worldshpankey is the leader of the worldshpankey is the leader of the world
Groans: 7
Groaned at 5 Times in 5 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Cool thanks. I found the stock heat range part number. Heat range 6. NGK 3787 just in case anyone needs those too. 1 step colder is Heat range 7, but I know most of you already knew that. My only question is, do I need 1 step colder? I tried the Denso's 1 step colder and they fouled out quickly. I don't think I've added over 75 chp yet (?).
 Old 03-11-2010, 03:58 PM   #45
Banned

phillyb is the leader of the worldphillyb is the leader of the worldphillyb is the leader of the worldphillyb is the leader of the worldphillyb is the leader of the worldphillyb is the leader of the worldphillyb is the leader of the worldphillyb is the leader of the worldphillyb is the leader of the worldphillyb is the leader of the worldphillyb is the leader of the world
Thanked 18,751 Times in 5,169 Posts
Groans: 1,940
Groaned at 886 Times in 632 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

idk man. there are people who will say that when you raise boost, you should go one step colder.
there are people that go one step colder with an intake and upgraded ic i think.
so i'm really not too sure.
i've been running step colder plugs for a while.
but idk how "necessary" they are.
 Old 04-12-2010, 10:51 PM   #46

c.a.t.a.p is a name known to allc.a.t.a.p is a name known to allc.a.t.a.p is a name known to allc.a.t.a.p is a name known to allc.a.t.a.p is a name known to allc.a.t.a.p is a name known to all
Groans: 0
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

that last post helped me out alot thanks
 Old 05-09-2010, 07:12 AM   #47
18psiWhiteMS3
Lurkers

Ok, at what point do you need 2 step colder plugs???

Old 05-09-2010, 07:25 AM   #48

spnkr21 is the leader of the worldspnkr21 is the leader of the worldspnkr21 is the leader of the worldspnkr21 is the leader of the worldspnkr21 is the leader of the worldspnkr21 is the leader of the worldspnkr21 is the leader of the worldspnkr21 is the leader of the worldspnkr21 is the leader of the worldspnkr21 is the leader of the worldspnkr21 is the leader of the world
Thanked 3,296 Times in 1,369 Posts
Groans: 105
Groaned at 79 Times in 66 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default Re: Spark Plug Database - Colder Than Stock ( Stage 1&2 )

Good question. I should prolly replace my spark plugs soon.
 Old 06-22-2010, 04:00 PM   #49

Frequentflyer is the leader of the worldFrequentflyer is the leader of the worldFrequentflyer is the leader of the worldFrequentflyer is the leader of the worldFrequentflyer is the leader of the worldFrequentflyer is the leader of the worldFrequentflyer is the leader of the worldFrequentflyer is the leader of the worldFrequentflyer is the leader of the worldFrequentflyer is the leader of the worldFrequentflyer is the leader of the world
Groans: 5
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Update to this thread.

Autolite makes Iridium plugs now. Plug numbers are XP5364 (Heat Range 4 - stock heat range) and XP5263 (Heat Range 3 - 1 step colder). I know most will turn their nose up to Autolite compared to NGK's and Denso's, but I don't think they're a bad plug. They're $6.49 each at Autozone and I just picked up a set to try out. They are supposedly gapped at .051. I'll have to confirm this, but if so, you'll have to tighten them up a bit. From what I can see, they look like they can be tightened up without bending them too much since they almost have a negative bend to them.

EDIT: The good thing about these is that it seems most Autozones and Advance Auto Parts stock them regularly whereas the NGK's and Denso's are usually special order through these places and cost more unless you get them online. You may want to spend a few bucks more per plug to get the NGK's or Denso's, but if you're in a pinch, run to Autozone and pick a set of these up. Besides, Autolite is an official NASCAR sponsor buddy.... yeeehaaw.

EDIT #2: I've been running these plugs for a few thousand miles now and the car runs just fine on them. I'll pull them out in a month or two and see how they look.
08.5 CWP MS3 - Cobb AP *Stage 2* ATR tweaked - Cobb SRI w/AEM dry flow filter - RPMC Inlet - Corksport TMIC - Corksport Downpipe (w/OE midpipe) - PTP HPFP - Stock BPV - TWM SS w/bushings - CP-e RMM - Bilstein Sports w/OE springs - Rota 18x8.5 48+ SVN Black/w Red Lip - Bridgestone Potenza RE760 - Cobb RSB - Prosport Boost Gauge/Mearcat pod - Motorcraft XT-M5-QS in the tranny!
 Old 12-27-2010, 10:17 AM   #50
Banned

justint5387 is the leader of the worldjustint5387 is the leader of the worldjustint5387 is the leader of the worldjustint5387 is the leader of the worldjustint5387 is the leader of the worldjustint5387 is the leader of the worldjustint5387 is the leader of the worldjustint5387 is the leader of the worldjustint5387 is the leader of the worldjustint5387 is the leader of the worldjustint5387 is the leader of the world
Groans: 21
Groaned at 8 Times in 6 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Why does the Denso plugs foul up so easily? Are the NGK for durable?
 Old 01-30-2011, 10:38 AM   #51

qwerty4550 has a spectacular aura aboutqwerty4550 has a spectacular aura about
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Frequentflyer View Post
Update to this thread.

Autolite makes Iridium plugs now. Plug numbers are XP5364 (Heat Range 4 - stock heat range) and XP5263 (Heat Range 3 - 1 step colder). I know most will turn their nose up to Autolite compared to NGK's and Denso's, but I don't think they're a bad plug. They're $6.49 each at Autozone and I just picked up a set to try out. They are supposedly gapped at .051. I'll have to confirm this, but if so, you'll have to tighten them up a bit. From what I can see, they look like they can be tightened up without bending them too much since they almost have a negative bend to them.

EDIT: The good thing about these is that it seems most Autozones and Advance Auto Parts stock them regularly whereas the NGK's and Denso's are usually special order through these places and cost more unless you get them online. You may want to spend a few bucks more per plug to get the NGK's or Denso's, but if you're in a pinch, run to Autozone and pick a set of these up. Besides, Autolite is an official NASCAR sponsor buddy.... yeeehaaw.

EDIT #2: I've been running these plugs for a few thousand miles now and the car runs just fine on them. I'll pull them out in a month or two and see how they look.

Have you pulled them to see how they look? I have had Denso ITV22's in for 15k miles now and need to pull them and see how they look.
 Old 01-30-2011, 02:20 PM   #52

Frequentflyer is the leader of the worldFrequentflyer is the leader of the worldFrequentflyer is the leader of the worldFrequentflyer is the leader of the worldFrequentflyer is the leader of the worldFrequentflyer is the leader of the worldFrequentflyer is the leader of the worldFrequentflyer is the leader of the worldFrequentflyer is the leader of the worldFrequentflyer is the leader of the worldFrequentflyer is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by qwerty4550 View Post
Have you pulled them to see how they look? I have had Denso ITV22's in for 15k miles now and need to pull them and see how they look.
Nope. I ordered a Corksport topmount intercooler, so when I get it in March, I'll probably pull the plugs. They're working fine with no misfires running 19 psi, so if it's not broken, I don't fix it. I was kinda pissed a few weeks ago when I put a new downpipe in and had the TMIC pulled off, but forgot to pull the plugs to look at the them while I had it off.
08.5 CWP MS3 - Cobb AP *Stage 2* ATR tweaked - Cobb SRI w/AEM dry flow filter - RPMC Inlet - Corksport TMIC - Corksport Downpipe (w/OE midpipe) - PTP HPFP - Stock BPV - TWM SS w/bushings - CP-e RMM - Bilstein Sports w/OE springs - Rota 18x8.5 48+ SVN Black/w Red Lip - Bridgestone Potenza RE760 - Cobb RSB - Prosport Boost Gauge/Mearcat pod - Motorcraft XT-M5-QS in the tranny!
 Old 01-31-2011, 04:29 PM   #53

Jsn_Rob has a reputation beyond reputeJsn_Rob has a reputation beyond reputeJsn_Rob has a reputation beyond reputeJsn_Rob has a reputation beyond reputeJsn_Rob has a reputation beyond reputeJsn_Rob has a reputation beyond reputeJsn_Rob has a reputation beyond reputeJsn_Rob has a reputation beyond reputeJsn_Rob has a reputation beyond reputeJsn_Rob has a reputation beyond reputeJsn_Rob has a reputation beyond repute
Groans: 2
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Getting ready to change my spark plugs in the next couple of days. I recall reading that it might be neccesary to stretch the coil from the wire that connects to the spark plug. hHas any else ever heard of this?
Purple Drank Racing Tune l CXRACING FMI l DO Methanol Injection l JBR 3.5 intake l Turbo XS DP, TP l ProSport Boost Gauge l HKS TT l Cobb AP l Cobb RMM l H&R Springs l Turbo Smart BPV l WOT Box l JBR side mounts l KMD internals l BNR Stage 1 turbo l Protegegarage SS l VTCS Delete | TB Spacer | CPE Injector Seals l BSD l 3 port EBC l Bosch 3bar MAP.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
 Old 01-31-2011, 04:37 PM   #54
Axle Breaker

jmhinkle is the leader of the worldjmhinkle is the leader of the worldjmhinkle is the leader of the worldjmhinkle is the leader of the worldjmhinkle is the leader of the worldjmhinkle is the leader of the worldjmhinkle is the leader of the worldjmhinkle is the leader of the worldjmhinkle is the leader of the worldjmhinkle is the leader of the worldjmhinkle is the leader of the world
Thanked 7,621 Times in 2,782 Posts
Groans: 162
Groaned at 28 Times in 16 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Very old info, but stretching the springs a little on both ends helps with some peoples problems. Stretching the middle doesn't do anything because the spring holder is shaped for it and compresses it back.
 Old 01-31-2011, 04:44 PM   #55

Jsn_Rob has a reputation beyond reputeJsn_Rob has a reputation beyond reputeJsn_Rob has a reputation beyond reputeJsn_Rob has a reputation beyond reputeJsn_Rob has a reputation beyond reputeJsn_Rob has a reputation beyond reputeJsn_Rob has a reputation beyond reputeJsn_Rob has a reputation beyond reputeJsn_Rob has a reputation beyond reputeJsn_Rob has a reputation beyond reputeJsn_Rob has a reputation beyond repute
Groans: 2
Not Ranked  0 score     

Thanks jmhinkle.
Purple Drank Racing Tune l CXRACING FMI l DO Methanol Injection l JBR 3.5 intake l Turbo XS DP, TP l ProSport Boost Gauge l HKS TT l Cobb AP l Cobb RMM l H&R Springs l Turbo Smart BPV l WOT Box l JBR side mounts l KMD internals l BNR Stage 1 turbo l Protegegarage SS l VTCS Delete | TB Spacer | CPE Injector Seals l BSD l 3 port EBC l Bosch 3bar MAP.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
 Old 02-10-2011, 09:08 PM   #56

Texas Speed Demon Fag has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Speed Demon Fag has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Speed Demon Fag has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Speed Demon Fag has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Speed Demon Fag has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Speed Demon Fag has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Speed Demon Fag has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Speed Demon Fag has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Speed Demon Fag has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Speed Demon Fag has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Speed Demon Fag has a reputation beyond repute
Groaned at 22 Times in 19 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I got the 6510's...some shops say .22, some .28 for gap. My gapper shows stockers at a gap of .24-.25...so which is it? I assume .28 will be fine...I have the auto gapper that shops use so it wont break the electrode or the tip...and also creates a perfect level tip to electrode which is supposed to prevent hot spots in the piston area when firing...any help appreciated.
 Old 02-10-2011, 09:48 PM   #57

Texas Speed Demon Fag has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Speed Demon Fag has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Speed Demon Fag has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Speed Demon Fag has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Speed Demon Fag has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Speed Demon Fag has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Speed Demon Fag has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Speed Demon Fag has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Speed Demon Fag has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Speed Demon Fag has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Speed Demon Fag has a reputation beyond repute
Not Ranked  0 score     

Keeping stock taking 6510's back, after reading only use if making over 100HP more than stock...no need for me...not gonna risk it.
 Old 02-11-2011, 07:53 AM   #58

halfdead is a splendid one to beholdhalfdead is a splendid one to beholdhalfdead is a splendid one to beholdhalfdead is a splendid one to beholdhalfdead is a splendid one to beholdhalfdead is a splendid one to beholdhalfdead is a splendid one to behold
Not Ranked  0 score     

So from what I've read and also talked to a lot of mechanics, you should try to keep your plugs as cold as possible without them fouling out, the plugs clean themselves with heat, (like self cleaning ovens, or propane grills) now going too hot on a plug will cause the fuel/air to detonate premature, causing knock and power loss, even at extreme sometimes melt. higher pressure(boost) or compression lowers the detonation point of the fuel/air. so if you dont mind changing plugs, go cold, then step it up a heat range till you find the plug best for YOUR car.
 Old 02-11-2011, 07:39 PM   #59
Axle Breaker

jmhinkle is the leader of the worldjmhinkle is the leader of the worldjmhinkle is the leader of the worldjmhinkle is the leader of the worldjmhinkle is the leader of the worldjmhinkle is the leader of the worldjmhinkle is the leader of the worldjmhinkle is the leader of the worldjmhinkle is the leader of the worldjmhinkle is the leader of the worldjmhinkle is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

It never hurts to go 1 step colder from factory even with a stock car. Never go hotter.
 Old 02-15-2011, 11:08 PM   #60

speed3willie will become famous soon enough
Not Ranked  0 score     

just ordered my spark plus got them for 7.89 a plug got the ngk 6510 can't wait to install these..
 Old 06-02-2011, 09:12 PM   #61

2008MS3H is the leader of the world2008MS3H is the leader of the world2008MS3H is the leader of the world2008MS3H is the leader of the world2008MS3H is the leader of the world2008MS3H is the leader of the world2008MS3H is the leader of the world2008MS3H is the leader of the world2008MS3H is the leader of the world2008MS3H is the leader of the world2008MS3H is the leader of the world
Groans: 41
Groaned at 2 Times in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Frequentflyer View Post
Nope. I ordered a Corksport topmount intercooler, so when I get it in March, I'll probably pull the plugs. They're working fine with no misfires running 19 psi, so if it's not broken, I don't fix it. I was kinda pissed a few weeks ago when I put a new downpipe in and had the TMIC pulled off, but forgot to pull the plugs to look at the them while I had it off.
i know this is an older thread but i am curious if you ever pulled the plugs and what they looked like? what mileage did you pull them.....if you remember.
also, what did you end up gapping them at?

let me know

MAISONVI PISTON SHIFT KNOB - AUTOTECH INTERNALS
SURE COUNTERSHIFT - SURE SHORTCUT - SURE ANCHORS

JBR TRILOGY - JBR RSB - JBR TUBING - JBR TIP - JBR SRI - JBR EGR DELETE

HYPNOTIC TUNED
 Old 06-02-2011, 09:21 PM   #62
lulz @Raider

burn813 is the leader of the worldburn813 is the leader of the worldburn813 is the leader of the worldburn813 is the leader of the worldburn813 is the leader of the worldburn813 is the leader of the worldburn813 is the leader of the worldburn813 is the leader of the worldburn813 is the leader of the worldburn813 is the leader of the worldburn813 is the leader of the world
Thanked 7,184 Times in 1,903 Posts
Groans: 18
Groaned at 21 Times in 18 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Bump

HKS CBE/ Koni Yellows and H&R springs/ HTP Whale Penis Intake/ PTP Fuel internals/SteedSpeed Mani/CP-E SafeSeals/E85 Hypnotic Tuned
 Old 06-02-2011, 09:27 PM   #63
Axle Breaker

Not Ranked  0 score     

I can tell you from personal experience that the Autolite plugs have to bent a lot and not just your regular bending. The are gapped HUGE! You actually need to carefully pull the groundstrap back and then compress it down so the angle is decent. Make sure those strange dots they have on the ground strap line up with the electrode as well. If you are in a bind which a local guy definitely was, they will do ok, but they really aren't much cheaper than a plug that works properly if you don't need them immediately.
 Old 06-03-2011, 06:30 AM   #64

2008MS3H is the leader of the world2008MS3H is the leader of the world2008MS3H is the leader of the world2008MS3H is the leader of the world2008MS3H is the leader of the world2008MS3H is the leader of the world2008MS3H is the leader of the world2008MS3H is the leader of the world2008MS3H is the leader of the world2008MS3H is the leader of the world2008MS3H is the leader of the world
Groans: 41
Groaned at 2 Times in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by jmhinkle View Post
I can tell you from personal experience that the Autolite plugs have to bent a lot and not just your regular bending. The are gapped HUGE! You actually need to carefully pull the groundstrap back and then compress it down so the angle is decent. Make sure those strange dots they have on the ground strap line up with the electrode as well. If you are in a bind which a local guy definitely was, they will do ok, but they really aren't much cheaper than a plug that works properly if you don't need them immediately.
ok thanks for the advice.
i took a look online and i think they are gapped at .051 which really threw me off. i might just go with the ngk's since that seems to be standard for most people here. i dont know how comfortable i feel having to bend a plug that much - doesn't seem natural.

MAISONVI PISTON SHIFT KNOB - AUTOTECH INTERNALS
SURE COUNTERSHIFT - SURE SHORTCUT - SURE ANCHORS

JBR TRILOGY - JBR RSB - JBR TUBING - JBR TIP - JBR SRI - JBR EGR DELETE

HYPNOTIC TUNED
 Old 11-04-2011, 03:26 PM   #65

Not Ranked  0 score     

I've been running the Autolite plugs for over 30k miles with no issues. Of course, when I replace them, I'll probably go with the Denso's again.
 Old 05-07-2012, 07:04 PM   #66

Spectrum24x has a reputation beyond reputeSpectrum24x has a reputation beyond reputeSpectrum24x has a reputation beyond reputeSpectrum24x has a reputation beyond reputeSpectrum24x has a reputation beyond reputeSpectrum24x has a reputation beyond reputeSpectrum24x has a reputation beyond reputeSpectrum24x has a reputation beyond reputeSpectrum24x has a reputation beyond reputeSpectrum24x has a reputation beyond reputeSpectrum24x has a reputation beyond repute
Groaned at 20 Times in 7 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Sorry to revive the dead but what's the best practice for ungapping the plugs? I just got NGK 6510 and they are set around .040 I was going to set them at .031 but I can't get the metal to bend down.. I'm afraid to give it to much an breaking it
COBB OTS STAGE 2 MAP
RMM/COBB INTAKE/COBB TIH/ETS TMIC
OBX TEST PIPE/AUTOTECH INTERNALS/FORGE BPV V2
 Old 05-07-2012, 09:08 PM   #67

theurgy is the leader of the worldtheurgy is the leader of the worldtheurgy is the leader of the worldtheurgy is the leader of the worldtheurgy is the leader of the worldtheurgy is the leader of the worldtheurgy is the leader of the worldtheurgy is the leader of the worldtheurgy is the leader of the worldtheurgy is the leader of the worldtheurgy is the leader of the world
Thanked 3,319 Times in 1,128 Posts
Groaned at 28 Times in 9 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Just lightly tap it against a table.
BNR s3, CoolingMist CMGS Meth, Damond TB Plate, JBR FMIC Undermount w/ TR8, JBR 3" Fullpath, Steedspeed EM, Cobb AP v3, Stratified Tuned, Autotech HPFP Internals, CP-e Catted Downpipe, Port and Polished IM with VTCS & Full EGR Delete, Grimmspeed EBCS, 3 BAR MAP Sensor, Turbosmart Dual-port BPV, Koni Sport Yellows, Eibach Prokits, SPC Camber Arms, Cobb FSB and RSB, AWR Front Endlinks, JBR Trilogy Mounts 70a Duro, KX-F3 Full Chassis Braces, Denso Iridium ITV-22, CP-e Safe Seals, SURE TIG IM and TB, Cobb Shift Weight, TWM SS w/Bushings and Specter Hybrid knob.

To be installed: SS Brake Lines.
 Old 05-07-2012, 10:43 PM   #68
Axle Breaker

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Spectrum24x View Post
Sorry to revive the dead but what's the best practice for ungapping the plugs? I just got NGK 6510 and they are set around .040 I was going to set them at .031 but I can't get the metal to bend down.. I'm afraid to give it to much an breaking it
That would not be ungapping, that would be gapping. You need to aim for .028 anyway. Use a bench vise for the most precise compression, or carefully push them against soft wood. Never tap them against anything. You would be risking cracking either ceramic piece.
 Old 06-05-2012, 04:42 PM   #69

dead-zone is the leader of the worlddead-zone is the leader of the worlddead-zone is the leader of the worlddead-zone is the leader of the worlddead-zone is the leader of the worlddead-zone is the leader of the worlddead-zone is the leader of the worlddead-zone is the leader of the worlddead-zone is the leader of the worlddead-zone is the leader of the worlddead-zone is the leader of the world
Groans: 12
Groaned at 53 Times in 17 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

From reading all the post I am in a big delema between the NGKs and Densos and dono which ones to get. I know that Densos the spring has to be stretched. How about the NGKs?
BTW, nice thread!
 Old 06-05-2012, 05:06 PM   #70

jack_hammer is the leader of the worldjack_hammer is the leader of the worldjack_hammer is the leader of the worldjack_hammer is the leader of the worldjack_hammer is the leader of the worldjack_hammer is the leader of the worldjack_hammer is the leader of the worldjack_hammer is the leader of the worldjack_hammer is the leader of the worldjack_hammer is the leader of the worldjack_hammer is the leader of the world
Thanked 17,259 Times in 3,186 Posts
Groans: 549
Groaned at 130 Times in 85 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by theurgy View Post
Just lightly tap it against a table.

That would not be ungapping, that would be gapping. You need to aim for .028 anyway. Use a bench vise for the most precise compression, or carefully push them against soft wood. Never tap them against anything. You would be risking cracking either ceramic piece.
Ummm, why not use a spark plug gapping tool that will bend it for you?

Sent from my LG-MS690 using Tapatalk 2
 Old 06-05-2012, 05:30 PM   #71

rfinkle2 is the leader of the worldrfinkle2 is the leader of the worldrfinkle2 is the leader of the worldrfinkle2 is the leader of the worldrfinkle2 is the leader of the worldrfinkle2 is the leader of the worldrfinkle2 is the leader of the worldrfinkle2 is the leader of the worldrfinkle2 is the leader of the worldrfinkle2 is the leader of the worldrfinkle2 is the leader of the world
Thanked 33,219 Times in 10,050 Posts
Groans: 298
Groaned at 292 Times in 196 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I'm not disagreeing with JMhinkle or Bronco in the least, but I can see where people would get the idea to tap the strap down to regap.

NGK.com
 Old 06-05-2012, 08:05 PM   #72

dead-zone is the leader of the worlddead-zone is the leader of the worlddead-zone is the leader of the worlddead-zone is the leader of the worlddead-zone is the leader of the worlddead-zone is the leader of the worlddead-zone is the leader of the worlddead-zone is the leader of the worlddead-zone is the leader of the worlddead-zone is the leader of the worlddead-zone is the leader of the world
Groans: 12
Groaned at 53 Times in 17 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by broncojd78 View Post

Nice!!
BTW, this tool costs just a couple of bucks(around $3), just go for it guyz.
 Old 06-05-2012, 08:12 PM   #73

jack_hammer is the leader of the worldjack_hammer is the leader of the worldjack_hammer is the leader of the worldjack_hammer is the leader of the worldjack_hammer is the leader of the worldjack_hammer is the leader of the worldjack_hammer is the leader of the worldjack_hammer is the leader of the worldjack_hammer is the leader of the worldjack_hammer is the leader of the worldjack_hammer is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by rfinkle2 View Post
I'm not disagreeing with JMhinkle or Bronco in the least, but I can see where people would get the idea to tap the strap down to regap.

NGK.com
that's awesome, until you accidentally close it too much! haha
 Old 06-05-2012, 09:08 PM   #74
Axle Breaker

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by broncojd78 View Post

Because we are already gapping below the recommended distance causing the arm to lean in and be angled towards the electrode. I have found that when you use a vise the arm stays more true. Also, those gapping tools suck ass. The .99 disc type that has a hole to open with works better IMHO
 Old 06-06-2012, 07:07 AM   #75

Not Ranked  0 score     

Because we are already gapping below the recommended distance causing the arm to lean in and be angled towards the electrode. I have found that when you use a vise the arm stays more true. Also, those gapping tools suck ass. The .99 disc type that has a hole to open with works better IMHO
i have found a big variation in the accuracy those disc types. what is .30 on one might be .25 on another. i like the wires because they are consistent, at least in my experience. but you might have a point about the vise for closing the gap. you're still in need of another tool if you close it too much.
 Old 06-06-2012, 07:26 AM   #76

rfinkle2 is the leader of the worldrfinkle2 is the leader of the worldrfinkle2 is the leader of the worldrfinkle2 is the leader of the worldrfinkle2 is the leader of the worldrfinkle2 is the leader of the worldrfinkle2 is the leader of the worldrfinkle2 is the leader of the worldrfinkle2 is the leader of the worldrfinkle2 is the leader of the worldrfinkle2 is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

This is getting more technical than I think it was intended, but gathering all of this info I think I would:

-use a feeler gauge
-close the gap with a vise to be sure the strap and its orientation to the electrode is consistent
-open the gap (if necessary with a plug specific gapping tool)

The tool that you posted Bronco sometimes are hard to find with a measure ring that is <.030.

I would like to have one of those because feelers are hard to use sometimes, but I need to find one with a gap as low as .026.
The Following User Says Thank You to rfinkle2 For This Useful Post:
Truguy86 (04-03-2017)
 Old 06-06-2012, 08:35 AM   #77

smoogs12 is the leader of the worldsmoogs12 is the leader of the worldsmoogs12 is the leader of the worldsmoogs12 is the leader of the worldsmoogs12 is the leader of the worldsmoogs12 is the leader of the worldsmoogs12 is the leader of the worldsmoogs12 is the leader of the worldsmoogs12 is the leader of the worldsmoogs12 is the leader of the worldsmoogs12 is the leader of the world
Thanked 6,794 Times in 3,106 Posts
Groans: 423
Groaned at 15 Times in 15 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by rfinkle2 View Post
This is getting more technical than I think it was intended, but gathering all of this info I think I would:

-use a feeler gauge
-close the gap with a vise to be sure the strap and its orientation to the electrode is consistent
-open the gap (if necessary with a plug specific gapping tool)

The tool that you posted Bronco sometimes are hard to find with a measure ring that is <.030.

I would like to have one of those becuase feelers are hard to use sometimes, but I need to find one with a gap as low as .026.

It had always been my understanding that using anything besides a wire style gauge was bad for precious metal plugs. true false?
SOLD

1999 Jeep XJ
6.5" Lift | Armor | 33" Tires | Bumpers

1996 Jeep XJ
3.5" Lift | 31" GY Duratracs | Bumpers

1994 Miata
15x8's w/NT05's | KYB AGX | Hardog Roll Bar | 70D Engine Mounts
 Old 06-06-2012, 08:39 AM   #78

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by smoogs12 View Post
It had always been my understanding that using anything besides a wire style gauge was bad for precious metal plugs. true false?
I've read to use a feeler gauge only on the precious metal plugs. LOL.

I guess it depends on the source. Denso says not to gap their plugs (iridium) due to the efficiency of iridium being able to overcome any gap error and NGK would have you tapping the strap. HAHA!!!

I know that using a traditonal slide around copper plug gapper is a definite no - no.

I would think that the picture posted of the guage above and a feeler gauge would be safe as long as we are not reckless / rough on the electrode.
 Old 06-06-2012, 09:58 AM   #79

Not Ranked  0 score     

I tapped mine down to .28 and used a standard gapper...no issues, but lately I have started feeling a smal miss after 5,000 miles and I am thinking its time to check for fouling. Will also get one of those wire ones if I can find one with the smaller gap like the last guy stated.
 Old 07-16-2012, 11:46 PM   #80
Eatin' Your Tuna

Haltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the world
Thanked 41,981 Times in 8,184 Posts
Groans: 244
Groaned at 329 Times in 243 Posts
(Thread Starter)

Bump. Updated. If you have other plugs to be listed, reply here. Thanks

Originally Posted by Mazda3Revolution
An intro thread on MSF is like your first day at a State Corrections facility. "Your gonna get tested".
MSF -The HARDCORE Of Mazda High Performance Tech!
Flex Limited Ecoboost - Not Stock

Gen1 MS3 - COBB FMIC V2.0 | COBB SRI | COBB AP Stage 2 W/MSF_V1.08y | COBB 3" Downpipe | COBB CBE | Devil's Own Stage 2 Meth Injection | AST 4300 Coilovers | Haltech Fuel Pump Internals | Rota Torque 18x8 w/ 235/40/18 | ACT 6 PUCK Sprung/Streetlite