register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
Mazdaspeed Forums Knowledge Base
>
Mazdaspeed Forums Knowledge Base (Gen1 - Gen 2)
> MSF KB - Mazdaspeed 3/6 - Engine, Transmission & Driveline

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!
Like Tree1Likes

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 02-17-2010, 01:27 PM   #81

Cataphract_40 is the leader of the worldCataphract_40 is the leader of the worldCataphract_40 is the leader of the worldCataphract_40 is the leader of the worldCataphract_40 is the leader of the worldCataphract_40 is the leader of the worldCataphract_40 is the leader of the worldCataphract_40 is the leader of the worldCataphract_40 is the leader of the worldCataphract_40 is the leader of the worldCataphract_40 is the leader of the world
Thanked 10,450 Times in 794 Posts
Groans: 30
Groaned at 28 Times in 17 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

just you wait. this shit is like a fine wine...only gets better with age

2008 GT MS3 - 307 WHP/338 WTQ
ATP GTX2867R - HTP 3" Intake - Cobb FMIC pipes + Treadstone TR8L - Cobb Catted Turboback - Cobb XLE BPV - Denso ITV22 plugs - Corksport Injector Seals - KMD HPFP - Cobb AP - CP-E RMM - Southbend Stage 3 Enduro Clutch/Flywheel - Bilstein B8s + Swift Springs - SPC Rear Camber Arms - Hotchkis RSB - MD OCC Kit - Enkei RPF1 - Bridgestone Potenza S-04 235/40/18

1995 Miata
Dunlop Direzza Star Specs 185/60/14 - Koyo 37mm radiator - NAPA blank rotors - StopTech Street Performance pads - 949 Racing XIDA CS Coilovers - IL Motorsports suspension bushings - Racing Beat FSB - 949 Endlinks
 Old 02-17-2010, 10:01 PM   #82

Qwik6 is the leader of the worldQwik6 is the leader of the worldQwik6 is the leader of the worldQwik6 is the leader of the worldQwik6 is the leader of the worldQwik6 is the leader of the worldQwik6 is the leader of the worldQwik6 is the leader of the worldQwik6 is the leader of the worldQwik6 is the leader of the worldQwik6 is the leader of the world
Groans: 19
Groaned at 11 Times in 8 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Mine hasn't got better yet.. I have other issues though. Amsoil and mt90 was smoother than this. IMHO

2006 MAZDASPEED6

FREEKTUNED @ 20PSI // COBB AP V3 // CPE TMIC // COBB SF // PG TIH // DENSO ITV22s // AUTOTECH INTERNALS // SURE TP // MAGNAFLOW CATBACK // JBR OCC // JBR IM SPACER // JBR PASSENGER & TRANNY MOUNT // SURE RMM // H&R SPRINGS // XXR 530 18X8.75 +35 // CAR LED TAILS // CPE REAR DIF MOUNT // TURBINE TECH FRONT DIF MOUNT // CPE TOW HOOK // 35% TINT // 3M DINOC WRAPPED ROOF // AUTOEXE CARBON FIBER BADGELESS GRILL
 Old 02-18-2010, 12:11 AM   #83

felt is the leader of the worldfelt is the leader of the worldfelt is the leader of the worldfelt is the leader of the worldfelt is the leader of the worldfelt is the leader of the worldfelt is the leader of the worldfelt is the leader of the worldfelt is the leader of the worldfelt is the leader of the worldfelt is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,088 Times in 512 Posts
Groans: 1,364
Groaned at 589 Times in 386 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Theres always THAT ONE.
 Old 02-18-2010, 07:16 AM   #84

Frequentflyer is the leader of the worldFrequentflyer is the leader of the worldFrequentflyer is the leader of the worldFrequentflyer is the leader of the worldFrequentflyer is the leader of the worldFrequentflyer is the leader of the worldFrequentflyer is the leader of the worldFrequentflyer is the leader of the worldFrequentflyer is the leader of the worldFrequentflyer is the leader of the worldFrequentflyer is the leader of the world
Groans: 5
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

After a day or so driving with this stuff in the tranny, I'd have to say it's noticably better than MT-90 as far as the knotchy, hard to get into gear problem when it's cold. As far as normal shifting goes, there doesn't seem to be too much better tha MT-90. Ironically enough, the "wah wah wah" noise when turning the wheel hard left or right at slow speeds is gone with this fluid, which is nice.
08.5 CWP MS3 - Cobb AP *Stage 2* ATR tweaked - Cobb SRI w/AEM dry flow filter - RPMC Inlet - Corksport TMIC - Corksport Downpipe (w/OE midpipe) - PTP HPFP - Stock BPV - TWM SS w/bushings - CP-e RMM - Bilstein Sports w/OE springs - Rota 18x8.5 48+ SVN Black/w Red Lip - Bridgestone Potenza RE760 - Cobb RSB - Prosport Boost Gauge/Mearcat pod - Motorcraft XT-M5-QS in the tranny!
 Old 02-20-2010, 09:48 PM   #85

banditscout is the leader of the worldbanditscout is the leader of the worldbanditscout is the leader of the worldbanditscout is the leader of the worldbanditscout is the leader of the worldbanditscout is the leader of the worldbanditscout is the leader of the worldbanditscout is the leader of the worldbanditscout is the leader of the worldbanditscout is the leader of the worldbanditscout is the leader of the world
Groans: 50
Groaned at 3 Times in 2 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Really!?!? I didn't even HAVE that noise until I put this shit in! WTF FAIL!
 Old 02-20-2010, 09:56 PM   #86

Hank3 is the leader of the worldHank3 is the leader of the worldHank3 is the leader of the worldHank3 is the leader of the worldHank3 is the leader of the worldHank3 is the leader of the worldHank3 is the leader of the worldHank3 is the leader of the worldHank3 is the leader of the worldHank3 is the leader of the worldHank3 is the leader of the world
Groans: 2
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by banditscout View Post
Really!?!? I didn't even HAVE that noise until I put this shit in! WTF FAIL!
You got noise after the Ford fluid?

I've been fine with the stock fluid for the first 30K. No grinding and shifts smooth for me. Gonna pick up three qts. of 75W-90 GL-4 dino oil from Napa next week - $13.86 total. Hopefully it'll work well. If not, then I'll try the Ford juice. Just don't see the need for it if the stock fluid works well enough for me. But we shall see

Old 02-21-2010, 12:32 AM   #87

BolvangaR is the leader of the worldBolvangaR is the leader of the worldBolvangaR is the leader of the worldBolvangaR is the leader of the worldBolvangaR is the leader of the worldBolvangaR is the leader of the worldBolvangaR is the leader of the worldBolvangaR is the leader of the worldBolvangaR is the leader of the worldBolvangaR is the leader of the worldBolvangaR is the leader of the world
Groans: 113
Groaned at 91 Times in 89 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Frequentflyer View Post
After a day or so driving with this stuff in the tranny, I'd have to say it's noticably better than MT-90 as far as the knotchy, hard to get into gear problem when it's cold. As far as normal shifting goes, there doesn't seem to be too much better tha MT-90. Ironically enough, the "wah wah wah" noise when turning the wheel hard left or right at slow speeds is gone with this fluid, which is nice.
I have the "wah wah wah" noise as well. I'm on stock fluid, or, whatever they put in the tranny after some work they had to do. I can't wait to try this fluid
 Old 02-22-2010, 07:29 AM   #88

Biggu has much to be proud ofBiggu has much to be proud ofBiggu has much to be proud ofBiggu has much to be proud ofBiggu has much to be proud ofBiggu has much to be proud ofBiggu has much to be proud ofBiggu has much to be proud of
Groans: 0
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

definite improvement over the OEM fluid, make sure you add the LSD additive to supplement the stock LSD.
 Old 02-22-2010, 01:31 PM   #89

nyghtryder is the leader of the worldnyghtryder is the leader of the worldnyghtryder is the leader of the worldnyghtryder is the leader of the worldnyghtryder is the leader of the worldnyghtryder is the leader of the worldnyghtryder is the leader of the worldnyghtryder is the leader of the worldnyghtryder is the leader of the worldnyghtryder is the leader of the worldnyghtryder is the leader of the world
Groans: 7
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Biggu View Post
definite improvement over the OEM fluid, make sure you add the LSD additive to supplement the stock LSD.
you have a part number on the lsd additive?

If a Marine can't fight it, f@#k it, or eat it, he's going to destroy it and burn it to the ground.

COBB SRI | COBB TURBO INLET | TURBOSMART BPV | APEXI TT | SAIKOU MICHI STAGE II OCC | DENSO ITV22 PLUGS | MSD DASHHAWK | SU SHIFTER BUSHINGS | JBARONE SSP | SPEEDLINE HEATED CONVEX MIRRORS | CLEAR SIDEMARKERS | 5000K 35W D2S BULBS | 3000K 35W HID FOG LIGHTS | 6000K REVERSE LIGHT HID KIT | RALLY ARMOR URETHANE MUD FLAPS | PROGRESS TECHNOLOGY RSB | TRZ RMM | GRIMMSPEED EBCS

NATOR PA
 Old 02-22-2010, 01:34 PM   #90

dizzin9 is the leader of the worlddizzin9 is the leader of the worlddizzin9 is the leader of the worlddizzin9 is the leader of the worlddizzin9 is the leader of the worlddizzin9 is the leader of the worlddizzin9 is the leader of the worlddizzin9 is the leader of the worlddizzin9 is the leader of the worlddizzin9 is the leader of the worlddizzin9 is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,331 Times in 525 Posts
Groans: 77
Groaned at 39 Times in 27 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Qwik6 View Post
Mine hasn't got better yet.. I have other issues though. Amsoil and mt90 was smoother than this. IMHO
this crap feels the same as stock. amsoil mtg is better.

2012 FORD MUSTANG GT >>> 400A Premium _ Performance White _ 6MT _ 3.73 _ HID & Security Pkg

Koni Yellows _ Whiteline FSB & RSB _ FRPP K-Springs w/ Bump Stops, Boss 302 Strut Tower Brace, GT500 Strut Mounts, GT500 RCA, GT500-style AB
J&M PHB _ Eibach Camber Bolts _ Avant Garde M510 Satin Silver 19x9.5 40ET _ Hankook Ventus S1 noble2 275/40/19

Old 02-22-2010, 10:17 PM   #91

BolvangaR is the leader of the worldBolvangaR is the leader of the worldBolvangaR is the leader of the worldBolvangaR is the leader of the worldBolvangaR is the leader of the worldBolvangaR is the leader of the worldBolvangaR is the leader of the worldBolvangaR is the leader of the worldBolvangaR is the leader of the worldBolvangaR is the leader of the worldBolvangaR is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

So who actually used the friction modifier and who didn't?
 Old 02-23-2010, 11:42 AM   #92
Banned

boosted3 is the leader of the worldboosted3 is the leader of the worldboosted3 is the leader of the worldboosted3 is the leader of the worldboosted3 is the leader of the worldboosted3 is the leader of the worldboosted3 is the leader of the worldboosted3 is the leader of the worldboosted3 is the leader of the worldboosted3 is the leader of the worldboosted3 is the leader of the world
Groans: 49
Groaned at 21 Times in 17 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

my 2 gear pops out when driving this really sucks and im trying to sell the car,i really dont wana get a new trans
 Old 02-24-2010, 04:17 PM   #93

nyghtryder is the leader of the worldnyghtryder is the leader of the worldnyghtryder is the leader of the worldnyghtryder is the leader of the worldnyghtryder is the leader of the worldnyghtryder is the leader of the worldnyghtryder is the leader of the worldnyghtryder is the leader of the worldnyghtryder is the leader of the worldnyghtryder is the leader of the worldnyghtryder is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by boosted3 View Post
my 2 gear pops out when driving this really sucks and im trying to sell the car,i really dont wana get a new trans
what fluid you using? do you have a short shifter?

If a Marine can't fight it, f@#k it, or eat it, he's going to destroy it and burn it to the ground.

COBB SRI | COBB TURBO INLET | TURBOSMART BPV | APEXI TT | SAIKOU MICHI STAGE II OCC | DENSO ITV22 PLUGS | MSD DASHHAWK | SU SHIFTER BUSHINGS | JBARONE SSP | SPEEDLINE HEATED CONVEX MIRRORS | CLEAR SIDEMARKERS | 5000K 35W D2S BULBS | 3000K 35W HID FOG LIGHTS | 6000K REVERSE LIGHT HID KIT | RALLY ARMOR URETHANE MUD FLAPS | PROGRESS TECHNOLOGY RSB | TRZ RMM | GRIMMSPEED EBCS

NATOR PA
 Old 02-24-2010, 08:04 PM   #94

Frequentflyer is the leader of the worldFrequentflyer is the leader of the worldFrequentflyer is the leader of the worldFrequentflyer is the leader of the worldFrequentflyer is the leader of the worldFrequentflyer is the leader of the worldFrequentflyer is the leader of the worldFrequentflyer is the leader of the worldFrequentflyer is the leader of the worldFrequentflyer is the leader of the worldFrequentflyer is the leader of the world
Groans: 5
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by BolvangaR View Post
So who actually used the friction modifier and who didn't?
I did not use friction modifier with this fluid and it works just fine. Gear noise is down and shifting is noticeably smoother.
08.5 CWP MS3 - Cobb AP *Stage 2* ATR tweaked - Cobb SRI w/AEM dry flow filter - RPMC Inlet - Corksport TMIC - Corksport Downpipe (w/OE midpipe) - PTP HPFP - Stock BPV - TWM SS w/bushings - CP-e RMM - Bilstein Sports w/OE springs - Rota 18x8.5 48+ SVN Black/w Red Lip - Bridgestone Potenza RE760 - Cobb RSB - Prosport Boost Gauge/Mearcat pod - Motorcraft XT-M5-QS in the tranny!
 Old 03-13-2010, 02:02 PM   #95

NCZ13 is the leader of the worldNCZ13 is the leader of the worldNCZ13 is the leader of the worldNCZ13 is the leader of the worldNCZ13 is the leader of the worldNCZ13 is the leader of the worldNCZ13 is the leader of the worldNCZ13 is the leader of the worldNCZ13 is the leader of the worldNCZ13 is the leader of the worldNCZ13 is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,214 Times in 538 Posts
Groans: 26
Groaned at 44 Times in 32 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

So after having this fluid for almost a month, im still getting a 2nd gear clunk. its not as buttery as when i first put it in. I also have a AWR RMM. All the other gears are smooth, but going into 2nd still has a slight grind to it.

2008 Cosmic Blue Mazdaspeed3
1986 Mazda RX7
2002.5 Sunlightsilver Protege5 (sold 12/26/09)

Hey you should read this: http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/foru...ler-you-58361/
 Old 03-13-2010, 10:00 PM   #96

dizzin9 is the leader of the worlddizzin9 is the leader of the worlddizzin9 is the leader of the worlddizzin9 is the leader of the worlddizzin9 is the leader of the worlddizzin9 is the leader of the worlddizzin9 is the leader of the worlddizzin9 is the leader of the worlddizzin9 is the leader of the worlddizzin9 is the leader of the worlddizzin9 is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

throw it away and get amsoil mtg. regardless, 2nd gear is really a bitch. just be careful with it.

2012 FORD MUSTANG GT >>> 400A Premium _ Performance White _ 6MT _ 3.73 _ HID & Security Pkg

Koni Yellows _ Whiteline FSB & RSB _ FRPP K-Springs w/ Bump Stops, Boss 302 Strut Tower Brace, GT500 Strut Mounts, GT500 RCA, GT500-style AB
J&M PHB _ Eibach Camber Bolts _ Avant Garde M510 Satin Silver 19x9.5 40ET _ Hankook Ventus S1 noble2 275/40/19

Old 03-13-2010, 11:05 PM   #97

rigor is the leader of the worldrigor is the leader of the worldrigor is the leader of the worldrigor is the leader of the worldrigor is the leader of the worldrigor is the leader of the worldrigor is the leader of the worldrigor is the leader of the worldrigor is the leader of the worldrigor is the leader of the worldrigor is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,526 Times in 1,141 Posts
Groans: 40
Groaned at 8 Times in 8 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

i added the lsd additive to oil that already had some in it and made it shift a lot better but lost my lsd so i dumped and went back to Mobil synthetic with the additive in it. hope it starts working. to much additive is bad my Mazda tech said heed rebuild it if needed warantee ya!!
reason for adding the additive was the lsd was grabby after he rebuilt my trans, live with grabby
BT T3 .5557 @25 psi 10. 6:1 peformance3 pistons, manley rods arp 625+ rod bolts, arp L19 head studs, Ap, 4'' inlet rr mani 4'' custom inlet, ,2.5'' ic piping, treadstone intercooler tr10 , turbosmart bov , tail 44mm wg, cobb electronic boost control 1 3/4 screamer p, odyssey batt, cs racepipe, custom 3'' dp 80mm cat back 80mm, egr del, vcts del, and port matched,sure tig's, running 100% meth 2000 cc, ATC 6 puck sl fw

472 hp 461tq virtual dyno and ran out of fuel!

nishan said theirs a easy 550 in the setup if i had the fuel but meh...

54,000 miles big turbo! stock block

at 104000 2 bent rods

current miles 113000 and runs perfect! no hiccups!

tuned by nishan
 Old 03-14-2010, 08:46 AM   #98

Fagwagon is the leader of the worldFagwagon is the leader of the worldFagwagon is the leader of the worldFagwagon is the leader of the worldFagwagon is the leader of the worldFagwagon is the leader of the worldFagwagon is the leader of the worldFagwagon is the leader of the worldFagwagon is the leader of the worldFagwagon is the leader of the worldFagwagon is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,217 Times in 543 Posts
Groans: 75
Groaned at 57 Times in 37 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

ive got about 200 miles on this stuff now and boy does it work great...the shit i drained out was a pretty good amount thicker than it, im very happy with the change.
 Old 03-14-2010, 09:50 PM   #99

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Fagwagon View Post
ive got about 200 miles on this stuff now and boy does it work great...the shit i drained out was a pretty good amount thicker than it, im very happy with the change.
Whatever is in mine sure feels "thick" as you say.

Sometimes when I shift gears, it's a perfect "click" but most of the times it feels like I'm pushing through mush... like 2-4 little "clicks" before it goes into gear. Not grinding, there is not harsh noise, but it's not a nice in and out feeling. I have the aluminum shifter bushing and that is all, but I'm not talking about "racing" style shifts, just good ol' regular, soft shifting. WTF? I seriously hate this tranny. Will a better fluid help with this?
 Old 03-16-2010, 06:17 PM   #100

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by FreeFlyFreak View Post
Hmmmm, just read something VERY interesting in an article describing some of the differences between Gen 1 and Gen 2 MS3's:

After doing a little research it turns out the Gen 2 MS3 owners manual calls for GL-4 75W80,
The Gen 1 spec is 75W90, doesnt sound like much of a change, but if you look at the centistokes it is.
My guess is the 75W80 will work better in the gen 1 too, same gearbox AFAIK just slightly different gearing.
Low Viscosity Manual Transmission Lubricants:
Low Viscosity Manual Transmission Lubricants
I realized nobody ever responded to this..... I think this is the most interesting post of the whole thread. It deserves a second reading.
 Old 03-17-2010, 05:52 PM   #101

Cheveyboy has a reputation beyond reputeCheveyboy has a reputation beyond reputeCheveyboy has a reputation beyond reputeCheveyboy has a reputation beyond reputeCheveyboy has a reputation beyond reputeCheveyboy has a reputation beyond reputeCheveyboy has a reputation beyond reputeCheveyboy has a reputation beyond reputeCheveyboy has a reputation beyond reputeCheveyboy has a reputation beyond reputeCheveyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Groans: 4
Not Ranked  0 score     

You guys using Amsoil, are you using MTF or MTG?
 Old 03-17-2010, 05:56 PM   #102

Not Ranked  0 score     

MTG, get it i swear by this!

Old 03-17-2010, 06:04 PM   #103

banditscout is the leader of the worldbanditscout is the leader of the worldbanditscout is the leader of the worldbanditscout is the leader of the worldbanditscout is the leader of the worldbanditscout is the leader of the worldbanditscout is the leader of the worldbanditscout is the leader of the worldbanditscout is the leader of the worldbanditscout is the leader of the worldbanditscout is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Where can one buy the Amsoil mtg???
 Old 03-17-2010, 06:15 PM   #104

Cheveyboy has a reputation beyond reputeCheveyboy has a reputation beyond reputeCheveyboy has a reputation beyond reputeCheveyboy has a reputation beyond reputeCheveyboy has a reputation beyond reputeCheveyboy has a reputation beyond reputeCheveyboy has a reputation beyond reputeCheveyboy has a reputation beyond reputeCheveyboy has a reputation beyond reputeCheveyboy has a reputation beyond reputeCheveyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by banditscout View Post
Where can one buy the Amsoil mtg???
Right from their website, they even sell hand pumps to make putting it in the hole even easier.
 Old 03-17-2010, 06:19 PM   #105

Not Ranked  0 score     

i've used mtg and that other stuff (motorcraft) and without a doubt amsoil is better.

Old 03-17-2010, 06:55 PM   #106

Not Ranked  0 score     

Yeah, I've had this motorcraft stuff in for almost 3000 miles...it's not living up to my expectations. It feels about the same as stock (maybe mildly improved) but it causes my trans and lsd to WHINE like crazy. It's getting annoying, and I'm thinking about switching to the Amsoil.

Edit: anyone know the exact part number for this stuff??
 Old 03-17-2010, 07:22 PM   #107

Not Ranked  0 score     

look into the transmission fluid section of amsoil's website. it's the piss colored one.

Old 03-19-2010, 10:11 PM   #108

Mizzle is the leader of the worldMizzle is the leader of the worldMizzle is the leader of the worldMizzle is the leader of the worldMizzle is the leader of the worldMizzle is the leader of the worldMizzle is the leader of the worldMizzle is the leader of the worldMizzle is the leader of the worldMizzle is the leader of the worldMizzle is the leader of the world
Thanked 4,196 Times in 1,404 Posts
Groans: 324
Groaned at 188 Times in 104 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Just to chime in on all the complaints about LSD noise, you have to add the Ford friction modifier when doing the change. This fluid doesn't have any and the stock fluid did.

:edit:

Found this on BITOG that could be of concern:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...47#Post1278047

"That fluid, XT-M5-QS, is not GL4. It says it is suitable where GL4 is specified. It is made by Castrol and is not available in the US under the Castrol label.

Ford specifies it for use in the Contour / Mystique / Cougar / Focus MTX75 5 speed manual transaxle. It is very nearly a 10W40 synthetic motor oil but with a very high TBN. Last I knew, Royal Purple cataloged their 10W40 synthetic motor oil as their recommended replacement although many Contour owners use Royal Purple's manual transmission oil instead. XT-M5-QS works especially well in the MTX75 transaxle, but I would be reluctant to use it in other transmissions. It's additive package falls way short of that of other gear oils."
 Old 03-20-2010, 06:07 AM   #109

Not Ranked  0 score     

Interesting... You would think there would be some sort of warning on the bottle, maybe being more specific to its intended application then.

But hell, we used to use a concocktion of GM Syncromesh, Redline, and 75w90 dino in our early WRX's. To make them shift smooth.
 Old 03-20-2010, 10:52 AM   #110
The Kamikaze King!

FreeFlyFreak is the leader of the worldFreeFlyFreak is the leader of the worldFreeFlyFreak is the leader of the worldFreeFlyFreak is the leader of the worldFreeFlyFreak is the leader of the worldFreeFlyFreak is the leader of the worldFreeFlyFreak is the leader of the worldFreeFlyFreak is the leader of the worldFreeFlyFreak is the leader of the worldFreeFlyFreak is the leader of the worldFreeFlyFreak is the leader of the world
Thanked 3,286 Times in 1,253 Posts
Groans: 754
Groaned at 128 Times in 100 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Mizzle View Post
Just to chime in on all the complaints about LSD noise, you have to add the Ford friction modifier when doing the change. This fluid doesn't have any and the stock fluid did.

:edit:

Found this on BITOG that could be of concern:

Ford Synthetic Manual Trans Fluid - Bob Is The Oil Guy

"That fluid, XT-M5-QS, is not GL4. It says it is suitable where GL4 is specified. It is made by Castrol and is not available in the US under the Castrol label.

Ford specifies it for use in the Contour / Mystique / Cougar / Focus MTX75 5 speed manual transaxle. It is very nearly a 10W40 synthetic motor oil but with a very high TBN. Last I knew, Royal Purple cataloged their 10W40 synthetic motor oil as their recommended replacement although many Contour owners use Royal Purple's manual transmission oil instead. XT-M5-QS works especially well in the MTX75 transaxle, but I would be reluctant to use it in other transmissions. It's additive package falls way short of that of other gear oils."
Originally Posted by Cheveyboy View Post
Interesting... You would think there would be some sort of warning on the bottle, maybe being more specific to its intended application then.

But hell, we used to use a concocktion of GM Syncromesh, Redline, and 75w90 dino in our early WRX's. To make them shift smooth.
You cannot just read that one post in isolation, read the whole BITOG thread and get the whole story, including what may be in the bottle.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-739-cast...productDetails
"Castrol SMX-S can be recommended for most manual transmissions where API GL1-4 lubricants are required. It has been used successfully as a problem solver in the manual transmissions of a number of manufacturers.

SAE 75W-85

API GL1-4"

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/FreeFlyFreak/speed-3

Suspension:
OEM --> FSD 4040 --> FSD 4040 with cut stops --> MS Coils --> FSD 4045's --> FSD4045 with cut stops --> Bilstein Sports

Yes, that is me in the avatar.
 Old 03-20-2010, 05:21 PM   #111

Not Ranked  0 score     

I'm not trying to poke holes in anybodys theory. But how can we be sure the Castrol SMX-S is actually whats in the Motorcraft XT-M5-QS. Because all I am seeing is hear say on those forums. In either direction with the stuff.
 Old 03-20-2010, 05:26 PM   #112
The Kamikaze King!

FreeFlyFreak is the leader of the worldFreeFlyFreak is the leader of the worldFreeFlyFreak is the leader of the worldFreeFlyFreak is the leader of the worldFreeFlyFreak is the leader of the worldFreeFlyFreak is the leader of the worldFreeFlyFreak is the leader of the worldFreeFlyFreak is the leader of the worldFreeFlyFreak is the leader of the worldFreeFlyFreak is the leader of the worldFreeFlyFreak is the leader of the world
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by rigor View Post
i added the lsd additive to oil that already had some in it and made it shift a lot better but lost my lsd so i dumped and went back to Mobil synthetic with the additive in it. hope it starts working. to much additive is bad my Mazda tech said heed rebuild it if needed warantee ya!!
reason for adding the additive was the lsd was grabby after he rebuilt my trans, live with grabby
For those that have talked about adding LSD additive, the most intelligent and accurate posts I have found about the issue are on another forum:

Mazda Forums - View Single Post 35 - For those that have LSD noise after switching to MT90

Mazda Forums - View Single Post 40 - For those that have LSD noise after switching to MT90

Suspension:
OEM --> FSD 4040 --> FSD 4040 with cut stops --> MS Coils --> FSD 4045's --> FSD4045 with cut stops --> Bilstein Sports

Old 03-20-2010, 05:40 PM   #113
The Kamikaze King!

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Cheveyboy View Post
I'm not trying to poke holes in anybodys theory. But how can we be sure the Castrol SMX-S is actually whats in the Motorcraft XT-M5-QS. Because all I am seeing is hear say on those forums. In either direction with the stuff.
We cant be sure, unless someone wants to do an analysis of both and report back with results.
But it is reported that that Motorcraft oil is made by Castrol.
The motorcraft oil was made for trannies that have shifting problems.
The Castrol SMX-S "has been used successfully as a problem solver in the manual transmissions of a number of manufacturers."

So the theory is that the Motorcraft stuff is repackaged Castrol SMX-S.
The only way to prove it would be an oil analysis of both.

Is it the same?.......Personally...... I dont care either way.
It solved my problem, which was caused by the Mazda/Subie dealer putting some crap in there that made the shifting get worse and worse and worse when they replaced one of my drive shafts. My guess they put some Subie GL-5 stuff in there that was screwing up the syncros.

EDIT: after a little more searching it is definitely not exactly the same, because the viscosity is different. The Motorcraft is 75/90 and the Castrol is 75/85

Suspension:

Old 03-21-2010, 01:55 AM   #114

Mizzle is the leader of the worldMizzle is the leader of the worldMizzle is the leader of the worldMizzle is the leader of the worldMizzle is the leader of the worldMizzle is the leader of the worldMizzle is the leader of the worldMizzle is the leader of the worldMizzle is the leader of the worldMizzle is the leader of the worldMizzle is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

My main concern is whether or not it's good long-term. Also, if the trans is identical between Gen1 and Gen2 beyond ratios, then it would stand to reason that any lower-viscosity fluid would do the trick and this just happened to be the first someone tried.

I've emailed Mazda asking them about all this to see what input, if any, they'll have.
 Old 03-21-2010, 05:41 AM   #115

Not Ranked  0 score     

My main concern is whether or not it's good long-term. Also, if the trans is identical between Gen1 and Gen2 beyond ratios, then it would stand to reason that any lower-viscosity fluid would do the trick and this just happened to be the first someone tried.

I've emailed Mazda asking them about all this to see what input, if any, they'll have.
Haha you just voided your warrentee.

Seriously good luck getting a legitimate response back. They are probably going to tell you theres nothing wrong with the car, just the driver.

NATOR PA
 Old 03-21-2010, 02:32 PM   #116
Banned

ms3077 is the leader of the worldms3077 is the leader of the worldms3077 is the leader of the worldms3077 is the leader of the worldms3077 is the leader of the worldms3077 is the leader of the worldms3077 is the leader of the worldms3077 is the leader of the worldms3077 is the leader of the worldms3077 is the leader of the worldms3077 is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,218 Times in 760 Posts
Groans: 974
Groaned at 738 Times in 373 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Shit I bought this Ford motorcraft stuff but now I'm not so sure I even want to use it. It seems like people are getting better results with Amsoil which is that I used to begin with (it’s good but I think it’s time for another change because I’m at around 47k miles). I guess I’ll try to sell the Ford motorcraft fluid and buy some more Amsoil.
 Old 03-21-2010, 04:39 PM   #117

03scgt is the leader of the world03scgt is the leader of the world03scgt is the leader of the world03scgt is the leader of the world03scgt is the leader of the world03scgt is the leader of the world03scgt is the leader of the world03scgt is the leader of the world03scgt is the leader of the world03scgt is the leader of the world03scgt is the leader of the world
Groans: 26
Groaned at 6 Times in 5 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

i dont have any problems getting into gears but i have 60k miles and im hearing the diff noise (wah wah wah).what would you guys recommend i use to quiet it down? id like to pick it up on my lunch break tomorrow

the amsoil mtg?
 Old 03-21-2010, 11:58 PM   #118

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by 03scgt View Post
i dont have any problems getting into gears but i have 60k miles and im hearing the diff noise (wah wah wah).what would you guys recommend i use to quiet it down? id like to pick it up on my lunch break tomorrow

the amsoil mtg?
Until further evidence supports the Motorcraft stuff is any better, I'd definitely go Amsoil.
 Old 03-22-2010, 05:30 PM   #119

Not Ranked  0 score     

Until further evidence supports the Motorcraft stuff is any better, I'd definitely go Amsoil.
I think the real evidence is from those who have tried both, and it seems that they are leaning towards Amsoil. I just bought some, and if I'm not happy, I'll try the motorcraft and I'll report back here of course.

EDIT: Finally replaced whatever was in my tranny and now the "wah wah" is much louder. Before, I could barely hear it and not very often. Now, it's very noticeable. Transmission seems to be more notchy, but not in a bad way. I haven't had more than a couple minutes driving with it, but so far I don't really see an improvement... it's just different.
 Old 03-28-2010, 11:43 PM   #120

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by nyghtryder View Post
Haha you just voided your warrentee.

Seriously good luck getting a legitimate response back. They are probably going to tell you theres nothing wrong with the car, just the driver.
First, they told me to use what's specified in the manual.
They also informed me that Mazda makes the transmission themselves.
After calling them out, they told me to ask the dealership. (hah.)
They then sent me to MazdaTechInfo.com.
They said to use what's in the manual.

*facepalm*