register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> MazdaSpeed 3/6 - ECU Computer Tuning

MazdaSpeed 3/6 - ECU Computer Tuning Have an ECU tuning issue? Do you want to discuss Mazdaspeed 3/6 tuning solutions? Up to date info on the latest! Piasini Reflash, Cobb Access Port, Xede, Procede, Standback, Superchips & others supported here!

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Ced2142

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 08-29-2019, 12:36 AM   #1

Ced2142 will become famous soon enough
Groans: 0
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default CPE Standback2 possibly messing with tunes

Hello all,

I recently bought a used 06 MS6. I've been trying to deal with a low boost issue (not hitting more then 10psi). Checked for boost leaks and could not find anything major yet. Ill be testing again, this time starting at the compressor wheel instead of the TIP. Anyway, one of the previous owners installed a Standback 2 on the car and it never got removed. I was wondering if this piggyback could possibly be screwing with the OTS Cobb MAP (Stage 1 93 v260) I flashed with the Cobb V3 AP. Didn't get any errors when flashing the map.
Ced2142 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 08-29-2019, 05:28 AM   #2

MSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,867 Times in 1,015 Posts
Groans: 146
Groaned at 47 Times in 31 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Remove the Standback completely.

Check all hoses and vacuum lines to and from the electronic boost control. Make sure they are connected and properly routed. Those are 4mm vacuum lines. Also check the 6mm line between the turbo and wastegate. All these lines dry out, get brittle and tend to develop small cracks and splits that you can hardly see, if at all. This would be a good time to replace them. They are dirt cheap and sold by the foot at auto parts stores.

Check the ebcs itself for function. Apply 12 volts to it and listen for the solenoid to click on and off when voltage is applied. Check to make sure the fragile plastic nipples have not broken. Some people have tried to glue them back on. That doesn’t work.

Do a data log single gear 3,000 to redline and post it. There are threads here on how to do it and what parameters to log.

10 psi suggests you are running on wastegate spring pressure. That causes me to suspect the 4mm and 6mm lines or the ebcs. Might be the wastegate actuator diaphragm, but they are pretty reliable. Might be the wastegate itself stuck partly open, but doubtful.

Sunlight Silver '08 MS3 GT Mods: (Sold 1/25/2019 after 10 years of ownership)
BNR Stage 1 (to fix smoking K04 turbo), TurboXS 3" Catless DP/RP "Stealthback" into stock CBE, Vibrant 3 inch Ultra Quiet Resonator in RP section, Magnaflow 3 1/2" exhaust tip, Mazdaspeed CAI w/air straightener and K&N conical filter, NGK 6510 Iridium IX one step colder plugs, Hypertech tune, Autotech HPFP internals, Stock BPV (works perfectly), Yokohama Advan Neova AD08R's (stock size on stock rims); Hawk HPS pads; SURE RMM; Grimmspeed EBCS (2 port mode), Bilstein B6's, SPC rear camber arms.
MSMS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MSMS3 For This Useful Post:
Ced2142 (08-29-2019)
 Old 08-29-2019, 01:08 PM   #3

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Alright so the EBCS is working (applied 12v and was able to blow air through it), wastegate is also working (pressurized it and the rod moved). Also redid a boost leak test and looks good, psi drops at less then 1psi/s and no leaks (other then air coming out of the oil cap, which I hear is normal). So this leaves me with the possibility of the standback screwing with the tunes. I'll post a WOT and Idle log in a bit. In the mean time, does anyone have the standback installation guide so I can remove it? I believe it doesn't have the PNP but I might be mistaken, if so I should be able to just unplug the dam thing right?
 Old 08-29-2019, 02:02 PM   #4

Db09ms3 is the leader of the worldDb09ms3 is the leader of the worldDb09ms3 is the leader of the worldDb09ms3 is the leader of the worldDb09ms3 is the leader of the worldDb09ms3 is the leader of the worldDb09ms3 is the leader of the worldDb09ms3 is the leader of the worldDb09ms3 is the leader of the worldDb09ms3 is the leader of the worldDb09ms3 is the leader of the world
Groans: 94
Groaned at 5 Times in 5 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Contact CP-E man, they have a website with a call number and email.
 Old 08-29-2019, 03:20 PM   #5

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Db09ms3 View Post
Contact CP-E man, they have a website with a call number and email.
Just emailed them.
Db09ms3 likes this.

Build in progress -> 07 MS6; Supertech 4032 pistons; Manely H beam rods;
 Old 08-29-2019, 03:22 PM   #6

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Heres a 3rd gear WOT log, I noticed the WGDC is progressively going up so im falling back on a leak maybe? If anyone can take a look and see anything I cant see, i would definitely appreciate it.
Attached Files
File Type: csv 3rd-WOT.csv (7.0 KB, 2 views)

Old 08-30-2019, 08:17 AM   #7

qtrmile beast is the leader of the worldqtrmile beast is the leader of the worldqtrmile beast is the leader of the worldqtrmile beast is the leader of the worldqtrmile beast is the leader of the worldqtrmile beast is the leader of the worldqtrmile beast is the leader of the worldqtrmile beast is the leader of the worldqtrmile beast is the leader of the worldqtrmile beast is the leader of the worldqtrmile beast is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,494 Times in 989 Posts
Groans: 8
Groaned at 8 Times in 6 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Is this externally gated? If so then take the gate off and there should be a little ring where the gate connects to the manifold that seals the valve in the wastegate. if not then the gate will always be leaking and never be able to built boost. If it is internally gated then take the exhaust side off and look to see if there are any cracks around the flapper? if so then that is relatively the same as the externally gated situation. As for the flash the CPE is a piggy back which fools the signals coming into the car. I am assuming that you are not running BOTH programs at the same time if so then you need to remove the CPE unit as it is no good... they have a bypass plug for the unit to put it back to stock.
track weight 3220
street weight 3370
fully built motor//carrilo rods//cp pistons//ACT 6 puck//all mounts//gt3582 turbo//CPE manifold//ported intake//h&r coils//brembo brakes//tr10 I/C//accessport
qtrmile beast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to qtrmile beast For This Useful Post:
Ced2142 (08-30-2019)
 Old 08-30-2019, 10:35 AM   #8

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

It's a stock ko4 so internally gated. So last night I decided to do some troubleshooting. I disconnected the vac line going from the EBCS to the wastegate. Went for a spin and could only build about 11 psi. I believe this means either I have a leak or the wastegate is stuck open/cracked considering the pressure line going from the compression housing to the wastegate is just venting out the other end and never opening the wastegate. Is this accurate? I am also aware of the boost I'm losing from just having that nipple open where the vac line is supposed to be, but I've heard of guys disconnecting this line and getting up to 20 psi of boost so this makes me think something is wrong with my wastegate or my cat is clogged like crazy.

The Following User Says Thank You to Ced2142 For This Useful Post:
MSMS3 (08-30-2019)
 Old 08-30-2019, 01:49 PM   #9

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by qtrmile beast View Post
Is this externally gated? If so then take the gate off and there should be a little ring where the gate connects to the manifold that seals the valve in the wastegate. if not then the gate will always be leaking and never be able to built boost. If it is internally gated then take the exhaust side off and look to see if there are any cracks around the flapper? if so then that is relatively the same as the externally gated situation. As for the flash the CPE is a piggy back which fools the signals coming into the car. I am assuming that you are not running BOTH programs at the same time if so then you need to remove the CPE unit as it is no good... they have a bypass plug for the unit to put it back to stock.
I'll be taking off the dp and take a look at the wastegate this weekend. As for the bypass plug, I had no idea this existed, I'll look into it and try to see if it's already being used. Thanks!