register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> MazdaSpeed 3/6 - ECU Computer Tuning

MazdaSpeed 3/6 - ECU Computer Tuning Have an ECU tuning issue? Do you want to discuss Mazdaspeed 3/6 tuning solutions? Up to date info on the latest! Piasini Reflash, Cobb Access Port, Xede, Procede, Standback, Superchips & others supported here!

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 06-12-2011, 12:21 AM   #1

LuczOr is the leader of the worldLuczOr is the leader of the worldLuczOr is the leader of the worldLuczOr is the leader of the worldLuczOr is the leader of the worldLuczOr is the leader of the worldLuczOr is the leader of the worldLuczOr is the leader of the worldLuczOr is the leader of the worldLuczOr is the leader of the worldLuczOr is the leader of the world
Groans: 5
Groaned at 15 Times in 12 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default Graphing AP Data Logs in Excel

I've been working on a little something for the community. Hal was bitching about not liking to view data logs in a spreadsheet and I told him to make a fucking macro. Well he told me that I was a useless sack of shit and haven't done anything for this community so I should do it.

Here are the results.

Make no mistake, this shit was way more complicated than I thought since data logs contain a lot of different parameters that need to be graphed on different scales. Excel makes it even more difficult since they only allow two different scales on a single chart. This excel spreadsheet scales and stacks the parameters on their own axis.

The spreadsheet can graph up to 19 parameters (I intended to do 20 but I fucked up and was too pissed to fix it). 19 should be fine though since most people only tend to log 15-18. You can graph up to 300 data points of each parameter.

To use this, just copy and paste your AP data log into the TOP LEFT of the "Data Paste" sheet. The graph will be on the "Chart Page". Do yourself a favor and don't fuck with the Additional Data pages.

NOTE: The left most parameter in Data Paste MUST BE TIME! All of the parameters are graphed against time, just like they show up in the data log. Also, try to make sure the time starts at zero, otherwise your graph will be a crunched and moved to the right. You can actually change the numbers for time and start them at 0 and count up by 1 till you reach the bottom of your data since the chart just uses it as a counter anyway.

I will warn you that this IS a first version. I'm sure something will be fucked up, but let me know and I will try to fix it.

ONE MORE THING, The chart uses an add-in for excel that references cells to make custom labels for the chart. I'm not sure if you need it, but you will know if you have no axis labels or some type of error. If that is the case, you can download the add-in here:
XY Chart Labeler
Install it, then follow the path to where you installed it and run the XYChartLabeler.exe to add it into excel

AND FINALLY, note that if you have any parameters that are populated entirely with zeros (like KR for instance, because your tune is that baller) it will end up all the way on the bottom of the graph. Luckily it doesn't get in the way of any other parameters so just ignore it.

AND, this will probably only work on Excel 2007.

Here is an example of the finished product using some noob's log.

Old 06-12-2011, 12:24 AM   #2

LuczOr is the leader of the worldLuczOr is the leader of the worldLuczOr is the leader of the worldLuczOr is the leader of the worldLuczOr is the leader of the worldLuczOr is the leader of the worldLuczOr is the leader of the worldLuczOr is the leader of the worldLuczOr is the leader of the worldLuczOr is the leader of the worldLuczOr is the leader of the world
Groans: 5
Groaned at 15 Times in 12 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

FUCK here is the attachment, format was wrong on first one.
Attached Files
File Type: xlsx Graph AP.xlsx (97.9 KB, 47 views)
 Old 06-12-2011, 12:51 AM   #3

86AmishMs3 is the leader of the world86AmishMs3 is the leader of the world86AmishMs3 is the leader of the world86AmishMs3 is the leader of the world86AmishMs3 is the leader of the world86AmishMs3 is the leader of the world86AmishMs3 is the leader of the world86AmishMs3 is the leader of the world86AmishMs3 is the leader of the world86AmishMs3 is the leader of the world86AmishMs3 is the leader of the world
Thanked 4,620 Times in 1,807 Posts
Groans: 338
Groaned at 93 Times in 48 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Pretty cool, but I prefer to do it myself, but i'm sure the excel illiterate people would like.

What about making the x-axis rpm though, then you have to worry about 1 less y-axis as well. Shouldn't be too hard
Tial QR BPV, SURE TIG's, ITV24's,
CP-E Stage 2 RMM, Medefail Tranny mount, 18x8 245/40's
390whp/400wtq
12.8@114

Sold

Current: N54 135i FBO
86AmishMs3 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 06-12-2011, 12:15 PM   #4

silvapain is the leader of the worldsilvapain is the leader of the worldsilvapain is the leader of the worldsilvapain is the leader of the worldsilvapain is the leader of the worldsilvapain is the leader of the worldsilvapain is the leader of the worldsilvapain is the leader of the worldsilvapain is the leader of the worldsilvapain is the leader of the worldsilvapain is the leader of the world
Thanked 19,667 Times in 5,045 Posts
Groans: 136
Groaned at 47 Times in 41 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by 86azms3 View Post
Pretty cool, but I prefer to do it myself, but i'm sure the excel illiterate people would like.

What about making the x-axis rpm though, then you have to worry about 1 less y-axis as well. Shouldn't be too hard
If for some reason you let off the throttle in your log and the RPM drops, it'll fuck up your graph. Time is a good base as it always increases in the log.
 Old 06-12-2011, 02:57 PM   #5

aaronc7 is the leader of the worldaaronc7 is the leader of the worldaaronc7 is the leader of the worldaaronc7 is the leader of the worldaaronc7 is the leader of the worldaaronc7 is the leader of the worldaaronc7 is the leader of the worldaaronc7 is the leader of the worldaaronc7 is the leader of the worldaaronc7 is the leader of the worldaaronc7 is the leader of the world
Thanked 9,459 Times in 2,597 Posts
Groans: 370
Groaned at 171 Times in 143 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

some guys might be datalogging cruise or other conditions, so i see why the time thing makes more sense on the x axis for something like this.
aaronc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 06-12-2011, 07:17 PM   #6

Bucker is the leader of the worldBucker is the leader of the worldBucker is the leader of the worldBucker is the leader of the worldBucker is the leader of the worldBucker is the leader of the worldBucker is the leader of the worldBucker is the leader of the worldBucker is the leader of the worldBucker is the leader of the worldBucker is the leader of the world
Thanked 5,694 Times in 1,518 Posts
Groans: 451
Groaned at 89 Times in 45 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Does not work on Open Office. My latest log graphed:
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen shot 2011-06-12 at 10.17.03 PM 1.png (113.8 KB, 21 views)
 Old 02-21-2019, 08:39 AM   #7

thatguyinms has disabled reputation
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by LuczOr View Post
AND, this will probably only work on Excel 2007.
update to a very old post.. Confirmed that this continues to work to Office 365 with no macro editing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Graph AP_Office365.jpg (129.7 KB, 6 views)
thatguyinms is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 02-21-2019, 10:48 AM   #8

nindoja is the leader of the worldnindoja is the leader of the worldnindoja is the leader of the worldnindoja is the leader of the worldnindoja is the leader of the worldnindoja is the leader of the worldnindoja is the leader of the worldnindoja is the leader of the worldnindoja is the leader of the worldnindoja is the leader of the worldnindoja is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,552 Times in 1,121 Posts
Groans: 16
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Shameless self-plug: Alternatively, upload your log to https://www.revisionsrus.com and get an interactive view of all your data, with mouse overlays for all the logged values at that specific point in time.

Here's an example log. https://www.revisionsrus.com/logs/634
Brakes: Hawk HPS pads // ATE Superblue fluid // Stainless Steel Brake Lines
Other: CP-e Safe Seals // MattDamond shift plate // Masonvi shift knob // 3.5" WP w/recirc // RSB // IM + TB tigs // Synapse Engineering FMIC + BOV // Autotech internals
Tune: hypnotic tuned

Critical Stats:
// 305whp/352tq
// 13.34 @ 98 - Mason Dixon Dragway - 4/13/14

Titanium Gray 2006 Mazdaspeed 6
Damond Motorsports: OCC // Short shift plate // Turbo oil feed restrictor bolt
Other: Autotech internals // Ebay M2 DP // Masonvi shift knob //
nindoja is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 02-21-2019, 12:42 PM   #9

MSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,794 Times in 953 Posts
Groans: 133
Groaned at 46 Times in 30 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Not sure there was any reason to bump this what - eight old thread?

Regardless, I think most of us prefer to look at the actual data points for the particular PID(s). Scaling and axis of the graphs can be confusing and misleading.

Data is data. Graphs are secondary depictions of the data.

Sold 1/25/2019: Sunlight Silver '08 MS3 GT Mods:
BNR Stage 1 (to fix smoking K04 turbo), TurboXS 3" Catless DP/RP "Stealthback" into stock CBE, Vibrant 3 inch Ultra Quiet Resonator in RP section, Magnaflow 3 1/2" exhaust tip, Mazdaspeed CAI w/air straightener and K&N conical filter, NGK 6510 Iridium IX one step colder plugs, Hypertech tune, Autotech HPFP internals, Stock BPV (works perfectly), Yokohama Advan Neova AD08R's (stock size on stock rims); Hawk HPS pads; SURE RMM; Grimmspeed EBCS (2 port mode), Bilstein B6's, SPC rear camber arms.
MSMS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MSMS3 For This Useful Post:
nindoja (02-21-2019)
 Old 02-21-2019, 02:02 PM   #10

nindoja is the leader of the worldnindoja is the leader of the worldnindoja is the leader of the worldnindoja is the leader of the worldnindoja is the leader of the worldnindoja is the leader of the worldnindoja is the leader of the worldnindoja is the leader of the worldnindoja is the leader of the worldnindoja is the leader of the worldnindoja is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,552 Times in 1,121 Posts
Groans: 16
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by MSMS3 View Post
Not sure there was any reason to bump this what - eight old thread?

Regardless, I think most of us prefer to look at the actual data points for the particular PID(s). Scaling and axis of the graphs can be confusing and misleading.

Data is data. Graphs are secondary depictions of the data.
Data is useful, and why I include it in the display on the site, albeit hidden. That said, graphs are great for quickly picking up patterns or trends in data. Sure, you can spend some time building a template or macros that colorize your data, but if you don't want to do that graphs are great.
Brakes: Hawk HPS pads // ATE Superblue fluid // Stainless Steel Brake Lines
Other: CP-e Safe Seals // MattDamond shift plate // Masonvi shift knob // 3.5" WP w/recirc // RSB // IM + TB tigs // Synapse Engineering FMIC + BOV // Autotech internals
Tune: hypnotic tuned

Critical Stats:
// 305whp/352tq
// 13.34 @ 98 - Mason Dixon Dragway - 4/13/14

Titanium Gray 2006 Mazdaspeed 6
Damond Motorsports: OCC // Short shift plate // Turbo oil feed restrictor bolt
Other: Autotech internals // Ebay M2 DP // Masonvi shift knob //
nindoja is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 02-21-2019, 07:14 PM   #11

MSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,794 Times in 953 Posts
Groans: 133
Groaned at 46 Times in 30 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

It you know what the data means, you will always use it directly. Just show me the rows and columns and the time line, as many frames per second as possible.

You have to be very careful with scaling and the values in each axis of charted data or it can be very deceptive and misleading.

I'll stick with the raw data in csv format. Colorize data? No. Just columns, fields and numerical values, time-stamped as close together as possible.

Not saying that charts have no value, but for serious diagnostic and tuning work I want to see the data. A lot of really important, sometimes critical, engine destroying events can happen in a tenth of a second.

A drop in fuel pressure or a sharp instantaneous lean out in AFR sufficient to point to impending zoom, zoom, boom is not likely to show up on a chart scaled to show a full 3,000 rpm to red line WOT pull would never be noticed. It happens too fast and recovery is too quick.

I caught impending high pressure fuel pump failure on a data log, seeing very quick transient drops and recovery lasting only a tenth of a second. Pump internals were replaced before anything bad happened.

By the time a trend shows up in a chart type log, the damage may have already happened.

For the same reason, most instantaneous real time gauges, analog or digital have little value except for maybe boost and rpm.

Sold 1/25/2019: Sunlight Silver '08 MS3 GT Mods:
BNR Stage 1 (to fix smoking K04 turbo), TurboXS 3" Catless DP/RP "Stealthback" into stock CBE, Vibrant 3 inch Ultra Quiet Resonator in RP section, Magnaflow 3 1/2" exhaust tip, Mazdaspeed CAI w/air straightener and K&N conical filter, NGK 6510 Iridium IX one step colder plugs, Hypertech tune, Autotech HPFP internals, Stock BPV (works perfectly), Yokohama Advan Neova AD08R's (stock size on stock rims); Hawk HPS pads; SURE RMM; Grimmspeed EBCS (2 port mode), Bilstein B6's, SPC rear camber arms.
MSMS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 02-23-2019, 06:51 PM   #12

aaronc7 is the leader of the worldaaronc7 is the leader of the worldaaronc7 is the leader of the worldaaronc7 is the leader of the worldaaronc7 is the leader of the worldaaronc7 is the leader of the worldaaronc7 is the leader of the worldaaronc7 is the leader of the worldaaronc7 is the leader of the worldaaronc7 is the leader of the worldaaronc7 is the leader of the world
Thanked 9,459 Times in 2,597 Posts
Groans: 370
Groaned at 171 Times in 143 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

not sure why I'm in the 8 year old thread either, but.....

I use MegalogViewer HD. Log viewer/plotter, scatter plots, histograms and table generators.
aaronc7 is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/forum/f9/graphing-cobb-access-port-data-logs-excel-83203/
Posted By For Type Date
Non-datazap datalog display tool? This thread Refback 07-24-2015 03:59 AM
Non-datazap datalog display tool? - Page 2 This thread Refback 09-11-2014 06:38 AM