register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> MazdaSpeed 3/6 - ECU Computer Tuning

MazdaSpeed 3/6 - ECU Computer Tuning Have an ECU tuning issue? Do you want to discuss Mazdaspeed 3/6 tuning solutions? Up to date info on the latest! Piasini Reflash, Cobb Access Port, Xede, Procede, Standback, Superchips & others supported here!

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 08-10-2019, 08:04 AM   #1

The_big_dill will become famous soon enough
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default High load low RPM KR and strange tune

Hi all,

New to this platform, freshly rebuilt engine, have been doing a lot of reading.

I am running an OTS map for now (I know, they are far from ideal), but I have to run something with my mods: SRI, TIP, DP(catted),HPFP,VTCS delete,EGR,ACT FW. I am working on getting a custom tune.

1. Part throttle I see KR hover between 1 and 8 regularly, but only under low load. IF I step on it and go to red line, KR is always 0. I understand this is not a huge concern (fuel economy).

My concern is on the highway, I was in 6th gear and went WOT (high load, low rpm), KR was averaging 5: have a look at the logs.

2. Staring cold, once the RPMs settle (~10 seconds), my idle is kinda rough. Sometimes shakes the whole car (slightly). Vacuum, AFR and FP all look good. I imagine the tune can do this, but wanted to share the logs here to see if anyone sees anything abnormal?

Once the car is warm I can barely hear or feel the engine running - occasionally it will have a very slight stutter when warm, but this is likely the tune.

Thanks!!

Phil.
Attached Files
File Type: csv 6th gear low rpm high load.csv (7.7 KB, 2 views)
File Type: csv Cold start logs (safe mode).csv (335.0 KB, 0 views)
The_big_dill is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 08-10-2019, 08:18 AM   #2

SaveMelMac is the leader of the worldSaveMelMac is the leader of the worldSaveMelMac is the leader of the worldSaveMelMac is the leader of the worldSaveMelMac is the leader of the worldSaveMelMac is the leader of the worldSaveMelMac is the leader of the worldSaveMelMac is the leader of the worldSaveMelMac is the leader of the worldSaveMelMac is the leader of the worldSaveMelMac is the leader of the world
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Don’t boost in 6th gear cruising or under 3k rpm. Low rpm and boost= unnecessary stress on the engine.
SaveMelMac is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 08-11-2019, 06:57 PM   #3

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by SaveMelMac View Post
Don’t boost in 6th gear cruising or under 3k rpm. Low rpm and boost= unnecessary stress on the engine.
I am not saying I plan to go full throttle in 6th at low RPM, but sometimes I need to pick up some speed on the highway, and I will end up demanding high load, low RPM conditions from the engine. When I do so, the KR will be pegged at 8.

I am more interested to understand if this may point to other problem area and if I should just ignore it.
 Old 08-11-2019, 08:02 PM   #4

MSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,854 Times in 1,003 Posts
Groans: 144
Groaned at 47 Times in 31 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Downshift to 5th or 4th. I would not go WOT in high gear unless I was going at least 100 mph. Downshift so your rpm puts you up in your fat power band. Going light throttle acceleration in 6th above 3,000 is fine though.

Show us a log like the others but 3,000 to redline in 3rd or, preferably 4th. I’d like to see if you have knock there. What fuel are you running? Do you have access to 93 or ethanol.

Sunlight Silver '08 MS3 GT Mods: (Sold 1/25/2019 after 10 years of ownership)
BNR Stage 1 (to fix smoking K04 turbo), TurboXS 3" Catless DP/RP "Stealthback" into stock CBE, Vibrant 3 inch Ultra Quiet Resonator in RP section, Magnaflow 3 1/2" exhaust tip, Mazdaspeed CAI w/air straightener and K&N conical filter, NGK 6510 Iridium IX one step colder plugs, Hypertech tune, Autotech HPFP internals, Stock BPV (works perfectly), Yokohama Advan Neova AD08R's (stock size on stock rims); Hawk HPS pads; SURE RMM; Grimmspeed EBCS (2 port mode), Bilstein B6's, SPC rear camber arms.
MSMS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 08-18-2019, 10:09 AM   #5

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Thanks for the replys guys, new to the platform.

From my understanding the car will pull timing for fuel economy under partial throttle, correct? (very low load I regularly see 6-8 KR)

(assuming the above is true), If go WOT typically I see the KR go to 0 all the way to red line. However, if I give it moderate load, It will decay the KR but slowly. One solution is to let off the gas and then re-apply and it goes back to 0 KR.

Any thoughts, is this normal?

Have a look at the log, pay attention to where I let off the throttle and re-apply it

Attached Images
File Type: png 4th gear WOT KR.PNG (133.3 KB, 13 views)
Attached Files
File Type: csv 4th Gear pull.csv (9.2 KB, 2 views)
 Old 08-18-2019, 01:33 PM   #6
Police - Grammarhead

Vansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the world
Thanked 6,941 Times in 2,755 Posts
Groans: 1,894
Groaned at 45 Times in 26 Posts

That isn't quite accurate. The car will add timing for fuel economy reasons. It will do so until it reaches the knock threshold under part throttle conditions. Once the knock sensor detects knock, the car will start to pull ignition timing gradually until the knock disappears. Once the knock has dissipated, the car will start adding timing again.

This is entirely normal behavior. You should expect to see substantial amounts of knock at part throttle under normal driving conditions.

Vansquish is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 08-18-2019, 08:02 PM   #7

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Vansquish View Post
That isn't quite accurate. The car will add timing for fuel economy reasons. It will do so until it reaches the knock threshold under part throttle conditions. Once the knock sensor detects knock, the car will start to pull ignition timing gradually until the knock disappears. Once the knock has dissipated, the car will start adding timing again.

This is entirely normal behavior. You should expect to see substantial amounts of knock at part throttle under normal driving conditions.
I see - I have been searching around and there are all kinds of theories on PT KR. This makes sense though.

I should be able to confirm this by comparing logged ignition advance vs. the ignition map.

I also noticed that it follows the minimum load KR active map. Does anyone have experience with working with this map? I imagine it isn't advisable to mess with it, but am curious if this is a "safe way" to change when the ECU goes into this ign advance strategy.
 Old 08-18-2019, 09:44 PM   #8

whatsabrooklyn is a splendid one to beholdwhatsabrooklyn is a splendid one to beholdwhatsabrooklyn is a splendid one to beholdwhatsabrooklyn is a splendid one to beholdwhatsabrooklyn is a splendid one to beholdwhatsabrooklyn is a splendid one to beholdwhatsabrooklyn is a splendid one to beholdwhatsabrooklyn is a splendid one to behold
Groaned at 5 Times in 4 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

are you referring to Lspi with the engine knock?
whatsabrooklyn is offline   Reply With Quote